|Bathurst of Lydney|
Lydney Park, GloucestershireWilliam Winter, master of naval ordnance and surveyor to the navy, bought the two manors of Lydney from the Earl of Pembroke in 1560-62, and Sir William (as he became in 1573) promptly built a new manor house just to the south-west of the town.
|The original manor house at Lydney, demolished in 1975.|
This superseded an early 16th century gabled building in the centre of the town which was not finally demolished until 1975. The attraction of Lydney was no doubt its ready access to shipbuilding timber from the Forest of Dean, and the potential of the creeks along the banks of the Severn for shipyards. Winter already had interests in the area which he inherited from his father, and he continued to buy land in Lydney and Aylburton as opportunities arose.
Very little is known about Winter’s new manor house, which became known as White Cross House. It descended to Sir John Winter, a leading Royalist who was secretary to Queen Henrietta Maria and who in 1640 had bought the bulk of the royal demesne land in the Forest of Dean. During the Civil War, the White Cross House was garrisoned for the king. Winter was the lieutenant colonel of the Welsh force raised by his cousin, the Marquis of Worcester, in 1643, and the coastal strip between Parliamentarian Gloucester and Royalist Chepstow became a flashpoint at the height of the Civil War. In May 1644 the house withstood an attack by the Parliamentary forces of Colonel Massey, but when Sir John Winter was finally forced out of Lydney in April 1645, he burned the house down to prevent it being occupied by the opposition. Part of the building remained standing in 1673, but it seems not to have been reoccupied by the Winter family. An ironworking furnace had been built in the grounds by 1673 and the remaining fragment of the house was later demolished. Only Civil War earthworks survived into the 20th century to mark the site of the house, although some information was recovered by amateur excavation in the 1970s and 1980s.
In 1649, Sir John was one of twelve leading Royalists whose estates were confiscated and who were banished from the realm. He failed to leave England and was imprisoned in the Tower of London, but seems quickly to have regained his liberty and in 1651 or 1652 he bought the estate back from the commissioners for delinquents’ lands. To fund the re-purchase, however, many farms were sold and others were heavily mortgaged, and it is thus not surprising that neither Sir John or his son William, who took over the estate by 1674, was able to build a new house. The hearth tax returns of 1672 record him as having a house of 14 hearths, and in 1673 he was living at a house called the Court, which may have been the old manor house in the town, but fourteen hearths seems too many for the house demolished in 1975; could it have once been larger?
|Lydney Park: the late 17th century house built for Sir Charles Winter c.1692 and extended by Benjamin Bathurst in the early 18th century.|
|Lydney Park: two details from the 1779 engraving, showing the rustic umbrello and Gothick summerhouse in the grounds, |
here attributed to Thomas Wright.
|Lydney Park: the entrance front of the house in the 1980s. Image: Philip Kingsley. Some rights reserved.|
In 1907 the estate descended to Charles Bathurst (1867-1958), later 1st Baron and 1st Viscount Bledisloe, who divided his time between Lydney and a house at Teffont Magna (Wilts). From 1930-35 he was Governor General of New Zealand, and following his return from New Zealand he made minor changes to the house at Lydney, including the addition of a museum to house material from the Roman Villa excavations in the park, carried out by Sir Mortimer Wheeler in 1928, and the native Maori works he had collected during his sojourn in New Zealand. On the eve of the Second World War, he moved into the smaller Redhill House, built in the late 19th century on the north-east side of the park, and let Lydney Park to North Foreland School, which occupied the house until 1948. The school dug up most of the existing gardens and planted potatoes as part of the 'Dig for Victory' campaign, but their presence probably saved Lydney from accommodating more damaging tenants.
|Lydney Park: the garden front, where a formal garden was created by the 3rd Viscount.|
The 3rd Lord Bledisloe inherited Lydney Park from his father in 1979 and made further alterations to the house, converting a ballroom to a living room and study and redecorating the house with appropriate Morris and floral trellis wallpapers that relieve the rather dour architectural decoration. He has also maintained and added to the variety of the gardens, which are open to the public on certain days in the spring, although the house is not shown.
Descent: Francis Talbot, Earl of Shrewsbury; sold c.1560-62 to Sir William Winter (d. 1589), kt.; to son, Sir Edward Winter (d. 1619), kt.; to son, Sir John Winter (d. c.1677), kt., who made the estate over c.1674 to his son William Winter (d. 1677) in return for an annuity; to brother, Sir Charles Winter (d. 1698), kt.; to widow, Frances, Lady Winter (d. 1720), later the wife of Thomas Nevill, and her trustees sold 1723 to Benjamin Bathurst (1693-1767); given by 1759 to son, Thomas Bathurst (1725-91); to brother Poole Bathurst (1735-93); to widow Anne Bathurst (d. 1804) for life and then to his nephew, Charles Bragge (later Bathurst) (1754-1831); to son, Charles Bathurst (1790-1863); to brother, Rev. William Hiley Bathurst (1796-1877), who made it over to his son, Charles Bathurst (1836-1907); to son, Charles Bathurst (1867-1958), 1st Baron Bledisloe and 1st Viscount Bledisloe; to son, Benjamin Ludlow Bathurst (1899-1979), 2nd Viscount Bledisloe; to son, Christopher Hiley Ludlow Bathurst (1934-2009), 3rd Viscount Bledisloe; to son, Rupert Edward Ludlow Bathurst (b. 1964), 4th Viscount Bledisloe.
Cleve Hill, Mangotsfield, GloucestershireThe early history of the Cleve Hill estate is somewhat obscure, but by the 16th century it belonged to the Blount family of Bitton, who sold it in 1625 to William Player. It is possible that the house originated as a lodge in the royal forest of Kingswood, like Oldbury Court, and in 1899 the core was said to possess walls nine feet thick and a mural staircase, which would seem likely to have been survivals from a medieval building on the site. By Kip’s time, however, most of the house had an early 17th century appearance, and had perhaps been reconstructed by William Player in the 1620s or 1630s.
|Cleve Hill: the Kip engraving of the house in c.1710, shortly before its remodelling for Thomas Player.|
|Cleve Hill, Mangotsfield: Storer's engraving of the north front in 1825 before later alterations.|
|Cleve Hill, Mangotsfield: the south and west fronts in the late 19th century, from a painting in the possession of the Cave family. |
Image: Nicholas Kingsley. Some rights reserved.
The original entrance to Cleve Hill was on the south front, and in 1899 a door, vestibule and staircase still existed behind the Victorian conservatory on this side. There was also at one time an entrance on the north, where Storer shows a later window inserted into the façade described above; Jones says a fine hall and staircase existed behind it, although his description of the layout is not sufficiently consistent to be really reliable: any 18th‑century arrangement behind the north front could hardly have survived the heightening of the centre and the addition of the big bow.
|Cleve Hill, Mangotsfield: the west front, from an old postcard.|
The client for the west front was almost certainly Charles Bragge, who inherited the property from Thomas Player in 1739 and married Ann Bathurst in January 1753. Bragge was a friend of Norborne Berkeley of Stoke Gifford, and like Berkeley was an investor in William Champion's Warmley brass works. Despite continuous financial problems, which prevented him from accepting a political appointment in America under Berkeley that had been arranged for him by his friends, Charles Bragge was very much part of the Stoke Park circle, and as a result he had access to the garden design services of Thomas Wright. At least one of Wright's surviving drawings is labelled as relating to Cleve Hill, and untitled drawings may also do so. His plan for Cleve Hill is undated, but seems to be related to his scheme for a flower garden at Badminton. Bragge was also a subscriber to Wright's Arbours in 1755, so it seems likely that his work at Cleve Hill was roughly contemporary with his involvement at Badminton and Stoke Gifford.
|Cleve Hill, Mangotsfield: design for a garden by Thomas Wright. Image: Victoria & Albert Museum.|
In 1804 Stephen Cave, a Quaker banker from Bristol, bought the house and estate, and Brewer implies that Cave had made significant alterations to the house before the 1820s when he says ‘the good taste of a recent period has added greatly to the attractions and comforts of this elegant abode’. Any such changes must have been largely to the interior, which housed 'a library of several thousand volumes' and 'a few pictures by good masters' while several rooms were 'adorned with sculpture, collected by Mr Cave, in Italy'. The Caves further enlarged Cleve Hill in the mid 19th century, as described above, but the Bristol suburbs were already starting to approach, and in 1879 Sir Stephen Cave, a member of Disraeli's cabinet, employed David Brandon to build Sidbury Manor in Devon as a new family seat. Cleve Hill was not occupied by the family after the death of Emma, Lady Cave in 1905, and in 1920 the house was sold. It was finally demolished in 1930, and by 1936 a suburban cul‑de‑sac called Cleeve Lawns had been laid out over the site of the house and grounds. Only fragments of the outbuildings and garden walls survive today.
Bathurst family of Lydney Park, Viscounts Bledisloe
Bathurst, Benjamin (1692-1767). Third and youngest son of Sir Benjamin Bathurst (1638-1704), kt. and his wife Frances, daughter of Sir Allen Apsley, kt., born 16 June and baptised at St James, Piccadilly, 25 June 1692. He spent his childhood at the court of Princess Anne, where he and his brother Peter were companions to Prince William (1689-1700), Duke of Gloucester. After the Prince died, he was educated at Eton and Trinity College, Oxford (matriculated 1708) and then took a Grand Tour with a tutor (Dr James Hay), visiting Germany and Italy (Venice, Padua and Rome) before returning to England late in 1712. 'A determined Tory', he was MP for the family seat of Cirencester, 1713-27, Gloucester, 1728-54, and Monmouth, 1754-67, but in over fifty years in Parliament he is not known to have spoken in the House. He was Out Ranger of Windsor Forest, 1763-67 and a Fellow of the Royal Society, 1731-67. He married 1st, 17 December 1713 at Kemble (Glos), Finetta (1697-1738), daughter and co-heiress of Henry Poole of Kemble; and 2nd, 22 October 1741 at Finmere (Oxon), Catharine* (d. 1796), daughter Rev. Laurence Brodrick DD, vicar of Mixbury (Oxon) and chaplain to the House of Commons, and had issue**:
(1.1) Stuarta Bathurst (b. & d. 1716), born 18 March 1715/6 and baptised at St Ann, Soho, Westminster, 7 April 1716; died in infancy and was buried at Battlesden, 26 November 1716;(1.2) Benjamin Bathurst (b. 1717), baptised at Battlesden (Beds), 24 March 1716/7; died young in or before 1722;(1.3) Anne Bathurst (1718-93) (q.v.);(1.4) Susanna Bathurst (b. 1720), baptised in London (but recorded at Battlesden), 27 May 1720; married, 19 April 1748 at St Swithin, Walcot, Bath (Som.), as his second wife, Powell Snell (1716-68) of Guiting Grange, Guiting Power (Glos); living in 1768;(1.5) Frances Bathurst (1721-22), baptised at Battlesden, 16 November 1721; died in infancy and was buried at Battlesden, 20 February 1721/2;(1.6) Benjamin Bathurst (1722-23), born in London, 28 November 1722 and baptised at St James, Piccadilly, Westminster (Middx), 19 December 1722; died in infancy and was buried at Battlesden, 2 June 1723;(1.7) Finetta Bathurst (1724-62), born 5 May and baptised at St James, Piccadilly, 21 May 1724; lived at Close Hall, Wells (Som.); a subscriber to Thomas Wright's Arbours (1755); died unmarried and was buried at Mixbury (Oxon), 10 June 1762; will proved in the PCC, 14 July 1762;(1.8) Thomas Bathurst (1725-91) (q.v.);(1.9) Poole Bathurst (1728-29), baptised (as Paul) at St George the Martyr, Bloomsbury (Middx), 9 July 1728; died in infancy and was buried at Lydney, 7 April 1729;(1.10) Catherine Bathurst (1732-c.1801), born 17 February and baptised at St George, Hanover Sq., Westminster, 10 March 1731/2; a subscriber to Thomas Wright's Arbours (1755); married, 1 July 1771, as his second wife, Rev. Dr. Charles Coote DD JP (c.1713-96) of Shaen's Castle (Co. Leix) and Leopardstown (Co. Dublin), vicar and dean of Kilfenora (Co. Clare), son of Rev. Charles Coote, also vicar and dean of Kilfenora, but had no issue; will proved in Dublin, 1801;(1.11) Poole Bathurst (1735-93) (q.v.);(1.12) Frances Bathurst (b. & d. 1736), baptised at Lydney, 18 September 1736; died in infancy and was buried at Lydney, 13 October 1736;(1.13) Benjamin Bathurst (1738-39), probably born about February 1737/8; died in infancy and was buried at Lydney, 15 January 1738/9;(2.1) Elizabeth Bathurst (1742-1825), born 23 November and baptised at Westminster Abbey, 21 December 1742; married, 29 March 1773 at St James Piccadilly, Westminster, William Prowett of Adderbury and Chipping Norton (Oxon), and had issue; died at Bath (Som.), 3 February, and was buried at St Swithin, Walcot, Bath, 19 February 1825; will proved 28 April 1825;(2.2) Benjamin Bathurst (b. 1743), born 5 December 1743 and baptised at Westminster Abbey, 6 January 1743/4; death not traced;(2.3) Rt. Rev. Henry Bathurst (1744-1837), baptised 15 October 1744; educated at Winchester and New College, Oxford (matriculated 1761; BCL 1768); canon of Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford, 1775 (DCL 1776); ordained deacon, 1767 and priest, 1769; rector of Dunkerton (Som.), 1769-74, Sapperton (Glos), 1773-75, 1785-1833, St John Maddermarket, Norwich and Gt. Witchingham (Norfk), 1775-86; prebendary of Durham, 1795-1805; and Bishop of Norwich, 1805-37; married, 1780 (licence 9 August) in Ireland, Grace Coote (c.1756-1823) and had issue eight sons and three daughters; died in London, 5 April, and was buried at Great Malvern Priory (Worcs), 14 April 1837;(2.4) Mary Bathurst (b. 1747), baptised at Mixbury, 25 April 1747; possibly the woman of this name who married, 1764 at St George, Hanover Sq., Westminster (Middx), Samuel Chapman;(2.5) Susanna Bathurst (1748-1837), baptised at Mixbury, 2 May 1748; married, 6 December 1784 at Brackley (Northants), as his third wife, Rev. Henry Manifold (c.1735-1803), vicar of Brackley, 1766-1803, but had no issue; as a widow lived at Bath (Som.), where she died, 10 November and was buried at St Swithin, Walcot, Bath, 19 November 1837; will proved in the PCC, 3 March 1837;(2.6) Silena Bathurst (1749-1822), baptised at Mixbury, 29 March 1749; lived at Bath (Som.); died unmarried, 14 March, and was buried at St James, Bath, 23 March 1822;(2.7) Hester Bathurst (1750-51), baptised at Mixbury, 9 April 1750; died in infancy and was buried at Mixbury, 3 May 1751;(2.8) Frances Bathurst (1751-69), baptised at Mixbury, 29 July 1751; died unmarried and was buried at Mixbury, 17 February 1769;(2.9) Charles William Bathurst (b. 1753), born 12 April and baptised at Mixbury, 10 May 1753; probably died young;(2.10) Robert Bathurst (1754-1821), born 7 October and baptised at Mixbury, 7 November 1754; an officer in the East India Company's civil service from 1771; later an indigo planter at Fatehgarh (United Provinces), in partnership with Thomas Bush, 1791-1813; died in India and was buried at South Park Cemetery, Calcutta, Bengal, 3 November 1821; possibly the man whose will was proved in the PCC, 15 December 1821***;(2.11) Ralph Bathurst (b. & d. 1755); baptised at Brackley (Northants), 6 November 1755; died in infancy and was buried at Mixbury, 13 November 1755;(2.12) Peter Bathurst (1756-57), baptised at Brackley, 10 December 1756; died in infancy and was buried at Mixbury, 24 August 1757;(2.13) Jane Bathurst (b. 1758), baptised at Brackley, 27 September 1758; married, April 1780, Henry Broderick (d. 1814?) of Kilkenny.
Bathurst, Thomas (1725-91). Fourth but eldest surviving son of Benjamin Bathurst (1692-1767) and his first wife Finetta, daughter and co-heiress of Henry Poole of Kemble, born 14 July and baptised at St James, Piccadilly, 13 August 1725. Educated at Westminster School and Balliol College, Oxford (matriculated 1742). He was a subscriber to Thomas Wright's Grottoes (1758) and was presumably responsible for the landscape garden at Lydney Park. He lost money through gambling and had to mortgage the Lydney estate to pay his debts; this is supposed to have affected his mental health and led to his suicide. He married (with a dowry of £30,000), 24 August 1749 at St George, Hanover Sq., Westminster (Middx), Anne (d. 1775), daughter of William Fazakerly of Totteridge (Herts), but had no legitimate issue. By his will, he made provision for a mistress, Sarah Walker (fl. 1791) of Lydney, and for two illegitimate children who were apparently hers although they did not take her name:
(X1) Sarah alias Sally Chester (fl. 1791);(X2) Jane Plummer (b. c.1780; fl. 1791).
Bathurst, Poole (1735-93). Seventh son of Benjamin Bathurst (1692-1767) and his first wife Finetta, daughter and co-heiress of Henry Poole of Kemble, baptised at St Augustine the Less, Bristol, 30 June 1735. An officer in the Dorset militia (Capt. by 1777). JP and DL for Dorset. He married, 22 December 1766 at Easton Grey (Wilts), Anne (1739-1804), daughter of Thomas Haskett of Alton Pancras (Dorset), but had no issue.
Bathurst, Anne (1718-93). Second but eldest surviving daughter of Benjamin Bathurst (1692-1767) and his first wife Finetta, daughter and co-heiress of Henry Poole of Kemble, born in London 30 January 1717/8 and baptised at St Ann, Soho, 15 February 1717/8. She married, 14 January 1752 at St James, Bath (Som.), as his second wife*, Charles Bragge** JP DL (1715-77) of Cleve Hill, Mangotsfield (Glos), son of William Bragge and his wife Elizabeth (née Player) of Hatfield Peverel (Essex), and had issue:
(1) Charles Bragge (later Bathurst) (1754-1831) (q.v.);(2) Anne Bragge (1756-1842), baptised at St Swithin, Walcot, Bath, 8 February 1756; married, 1 May 1786 at Mangotsfield, Rev. Dr. Thomas Hay DD (1759-1830) of North Walsham (Norfk), canon of Christ Church, Oxford, son of the Hon. Edward Hay, diplomat and Governor of Barbados; buried at Christ Church, Oxford, 9 July 1842; will proved 22 July 1842;(3) William Bragge (1761-1840), baptised at St Swithin, Walcot, Bath, 28 January 1761; educated at New College, Oxford (matriculated 1779; BA 1783; MA 1797); steward of New College for 36 years; lived in Beaumont St., Oxford; died 30 August 1840; will proved in the PCC, 14 September 1840.
Bragge (later Bathurst), Charles (1754-1831). Elder son of Charles Bragge (1715-77) and his wife Anne, eldest surviving daughter of Benjamin Bathurst of Lydney (Glos), baptised at St James, Bath, 28 February 1754. Educated at Winchester and New College, Oxford (matriculated 1772; BCL 1785; hon. DCL 1814) and Lincolns Inn (admitted 1772; called 1778; bencher, 1813). Barrister-at-law on the Oxford circuit; a Commissioner of Bankrupts, 1778-1800; secretary to commissioners of peace in Chancery, 1779-91; Recorder of Monmouth, 1790; council to the Board of Control for India, 1797. MP for Monmouth, 1790-96, Bristol, 1796-1812, Bodmin, 1812-18 and Harwich, 1818-23. Chairman of Ways & Means Committee, 1799-1801; sworn of the Privy Council, 1801; Treasurer of the Navy (with a salary of £4,000 a year), 1801-03; Secretary at War, 1803-04; Master of the Mint, 1806-10; President of the Board of Control for India, 1812; Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, 1812-23; Commissioner for the building of new churches, 1818. He was not a particularly good parliamentary speaker, but was well versed in the procedures of the House; it is therefore no surprise to find that he was several times considered as a possible Speaker, although he never obtained that office. He was JP and DL for Gloucestershire and Chairman of Gloucestershire Quarter Sessions, c.1805-09, and was made an honorary freeman of the city of Bristol, 1796. He took the name and arms of Bathurst for himself and his children by royal licence, 11 May 1804, and was known thereafter as Charles Bragge Bathurst. He retired from public life in 1823 and was granted a pension of £350 a year in 1826. He was a contemporary at Winchester, a close friend and eventually brother-in-law of Henry Addington (1757-1844), 1st Viscount Sidmouth, and his most constant ally. He married, 1 August 1788, Charlotte (1761-1839), daughter of Anthony Addington MD of Fringford (Berks), and had issue:
(1) Charles Bragge (later Bathurst) (1790-1863) (q.v.);(2) Charlotte Bragge (later Bathurst) (1791-1866), baptised at St George-the-Martyr, London, 7 July 1791; principal legatee of her uncle, William Bragge; lived at Barton End, Nailsworth (Glos); died unmarried, 27 August and was buried at Lydney, 3 September 1866; her will was proved 13 September 1866 (effects under £30,000);(3) Anne Bragge (later Bathurst) (1792-1862); lived at Nailsworth (Glos) with her sister; died unmarried in Brighton, 18 October 1862; will proved 7 November 1862 (effects under £18,000);(4) Mary Bragge (later Bathurst) (c.1794-1822); died in April 1822 and was buried at St George, Hanover Sq., Westminster, 4 May 1822;(5) Rev. William Hiley Bragge (later Bathurst) (1796-1877) (q.v.);(6) Elizabeth Susan Bragge (later Bathurst) (1798-1849), baptised at St George-the-Martyr, London, 13 June 1798; lived with her sisters at Nailsworth; died unmarried, 7 November, and was buried at North Perrott (Som.), 14 November 1849;(7) Eleanor Bragge (later Bathurst) (1800-36), born 13 July and privately baptised at St Mary, Cowes (IoW), 6 October 1800; publicly baptised at Mangotsfield, 21 September 1801; died unmarried, 15 July, and was buried at Mongewell (Oxon), 26 July 1836; will proved in the PCC, 16 December 1836;(8) twin, Poole Bathurst (1804-16), privately baptised, 6 December 1804 and publicly baptised at Lydney, 10 January 1805; died young and was buried at St George, Hanover Sq., Westminster (Middx), 11 May 1816;(9) twin, Catherine Bathurst (1804-21), privately baptised, 6 December 1804 and publicly baptised at Lydney, 10 January 1805; died unmarried and was buried at St George, Hanover Sq., Westminster, 3 June 1821.
Bathurst, Charles (1790-1863). Elder son of Charles Bragge (later Bathurst) (1754-1831) and his wife Charlotte, daughter of Anthony Addington MD, born 15 January 1790 and baptised at St Giles, Reading (Berks), 19 February 1790. Educated at Winchester, Christ Church, Oxford (matriculated 1806; BA 1810; MA 1813) and Lincoln's Inn (admitted 1810; called 1813?). Barrister-at-law. He was a Verderer of the Forest of Dean; JP and DL for Gloucestershire, and Chairman of Quarter Sessions, 1833-42, in which capacity he was particularly involved with the development of the county lunatic asylum, the reform of the county gaols, and establishment of a police force. He 'took a painfully comprehensive view' of matters brought before him and explained them at such length that - as Goldsmith said of Burke - "Too deep for his hearers, he went on refining, and thought of convincing, when they thought of dining". According to his obituarist, he was "by nature shy and reserved, with the warmest of hearts but the coldest of manners, he was known at the last as a most studious, but not as a social man". He was a close friend of the Rev. Francis Witts of Upper Slaughter (Glos), and appears in his voluminous diary, which gives such a full picture of early 19th century Gloucestershire. The diary suggests that he was subject to periods of depression when he was unable to face county business or appearing in society, and one such attack appears to have occasioned his resignation as Chairman of Quarter Sessions in 1842. He married, 27 August 1819 at St Michael, Gloucester, Mary (c.1791-1874), daughter of William Fendall of Gloucester, Littledean (Glos) and Much Marcle (Herefs), banker and barrister, but had no issue.
|Rev. William Hiley Bathurst |
(1) Charlotte Hiley Bathurst (1830-1921), born 28 June and baptised at Barwick-in-Elmet, 31 August 1830; married, 8 September 1869 at Lydney, Rev. Francis Thomas Bedford Willesford (c.1808-83), vicar of Awliscombe (Devon), and had issue one daughter; died aged 91 at Gwennap (Cornw.), 1 December 1921; will proved 3 February 1922 (estate £768);(2) Mary Ann Bathurst (1832-58), baptised at Barwick-in-Elmet, 8 May 1832; died unmarried at Bonchurch (IoW), 24 December 1858; administration of goods granted to her father, 10 June 1859 (effects under £3,000);(3) Eleanor Bathurst (1833-1929), born 21 July and baptised at St John, Roundhay, Leeds, 28 August 1833; married, 30 October 1872 at St Jude, South Kensington (Middx), Canon Charles Trollope (1819-1907), rector of Stibbington (Hunts), and had issue one son and one daughter; died 5 July 1929; will proved 13 August 1929 (estate £4,549);(4) Fanny Bathurst (1834-55), born 1 October and baptised at Barwick-in-Elmet, 9 December 1834; died unmarried and was buried at Darley, 14 August 1855;(5) Charles Bathurst (1836-1907) (q.v.);(6) Rev. William Addington Bathurst (1839-1922), born 14 May and baptised at Barwick-in-Elmet, 26 June 1839; educated at Harrow and Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1859; BA 1863; MA 1866); ordained deacon, 1864 and priest, 1865; vicar of Gerrards Cross (Bucks), 1870-78, Holy Trinity, Eastbourne (Sussex), 1878-1906 and Mitcheldean (Glos), 1907-10; retired to St. Albans (Herts), 1910; married 1st, 23 February 1867, Anne Frances (1841-76), daughter of Ven. Richard Brindley Hone, Archdeacon of Worcester, and had issue two sons and one daughter; married 2nd, 26 July 1877 at St Mary, Cheltenham (Glos), Harriet Jesse (1851-1932), daughter of Canon Charles Dent Bell DD, rector of Cheltenham (Glos), and had further issue two sons and one daughter; died 23 January 1922; will proved 13 March 1922 (estate £1,074).
Bathurst, Charles (1836-1907). Elder son of Rev. William Hiley Bathurst (1796-1877) and his wife Mary Anne, daughter of Matthew Rhodes of Leeds, born 27 November 1836 and baptised at Barwick-in-Elmet (Yorks WR), 16 February 1837. Educated at Christ Church, Oxford (matriculated 1855; BA 1860; MA 1865) and Inner Temple (admitted 1860; called 1863). Barrister-at-law. JP for Gloucestershire; Senior Verderer of the Forest of Dean (from 1863). In later years his poor health prevented his playing a major part in public affairs. He married, 27 January 1864 at Darley (Derbys), Mary Elizabeth (1842-85), only daughter of Col. Thomas Pasley Hay, and had issue:
(1) William Hay Bathurst (1864-83), born 17 October and baptised at St Mary, Bryanston Sq., London, 28 November 1864; died unmarried of meningitis, 26 January 1883;(2) Mary Georgina Bathurst (1866-1950), born 29 April and baptised at St Mary, Bryanston Sq., London, 21 June 1866; the leading supporter of Lydney Cottage Hospital; married, 3 August 1905 at Lydney, Algernon Mainwaring Vaughan-Hughes (1862-1942) of Mount Severn, Newnham (Glos), son of Rev. Robert Vaughan-Hughes of Wyelands, Chepstow (Mon.), but had no issue; died 25 February 1950; will proved 8 June 1950 (estate £10,330);(3) Charles Bathurst (1867-1958), 1st Baron and 1st Viscount Bledisloe (q.v.);(4) Margaret Frances Bathurst (1869-86), born 11 January and baptised at St Marylebone (Middx), 18 March 1869; died unmarried, 28 July 1886;(5) Arthur Henry Bathurst (1872-1936), born 28 August 1872; educated at Sherborne, Oriel College, Oxford (matriculated 1890) and RMC Sandhurst (admitted 1893); an officer in the army (2nd Lt, 1894; Lt. 1895; Capt. 1898; Maj. 1903; retired 1915); ADC to Governor of Barbados, 1899; married, 7 August 1902 at Alvington (Glos), Margaret Cicely (1883-1968), daughter of Capt. Walter Bentley Marling of Clanna Falls, Alvington, and had issue three sons; died at Broadstairs (Kent), 13 June and was buried at Newnham-on-Severn (Glos), 17 June 1936; will proved 18 August 1936 (estate £19,331);(6) Robert Bathurst (1875-1929), born 18 May and baptised at Lydney, 28 July 1875; educated at Clifton College; lived at Rhodyate House, Congresbury (Som.); married, 1 June 1898 at Westbury-on-Severn (Glos), Geraldine Mimi Clere (1874-1948), daughter of Maynard Willoughby Colchester-Wemyss CBE of Westbury Court, and had issue one daughter; died 7 March 1929; will proved 20 April 1929 (estate £25,086).
|Charles Bathurst (1867-1958), |
1st Viscount Bledisloe
(1.1) Benjamin Ludlow Bathurst (1899-1979), 2nd Viscount Bledisloe (q.v.);(1.2) Hon. Ursula Mary Bathurst (1900-75), born 30 December 1900; married, 14 May 1929 at St Margaret, Westminster (Middx) (div. 1942 on grounds of his adultery), Horace Field Parshall (1903-86), only son of Horace Field Parshall DSc, and had issue one son; died 8 May 1975; will proved 11 August 1975 (estate £144,546);(1.3) Hon. (Henry Charles) Hiley Bathurst (1904-69), born 16 March 1904; educated at Oundle and Trinity College, Cambridge; an officer in the Royal Air Force (P/Off 1929; F/Off, 1931; F/Lt, 1934; retired 1936); married 1st, 30 April 1937 (div. 1951), Mary Myrtle (b. 1916), youngest daughter of Maj-Gen. Kenneth Marten Body CB CMG OBE and 2nd, 3 October 1951, Lauretta Theresa (c.1901-57), daughter of William Frederick Groves of Westchester, New York (USA), formerly wife of Cecil Mortimer Singer (1889-1952), and widow of (Reginald Evelyn) Peter (Southouse) Cheyney (1896-1951), crime writer, but had no issue; died 10 April 1969; will proved 26 June 1969 (estate £48,806).
|Benjamin Ludlow Bathurst (1899-1979), |
2nd Viscount Bledisloe
(1) Christopher Hiley Ludlow Bathurst (1934-2009), 3rd Viscount Bledisloe (q.v.);(2) Hon. David Charles Lopes Bathurst (1937-92), born 15 December 1937; educated at Eton, Magdalen College, Oxford (BA 1961) and Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh (USA); an officer in 2nd Royal Lancers, 1956-58 (2nd Lt.); auctioneer and art dealer with Christies, 1963-87 (President of Christies New York, 1978-84; Chairman of Christie, Manson & Woods, 1984-87); married, 25 August 1967, (Mary) Cornelia (Nelly) (1934-2016), youngest daughter of Andrew Kirkwood McCosh of Culter Allers, Biggar (Lanarks), and had issue three daughters; died of a heart attack, 20 September 1992.
|Christopher Hiley Ludlow Bathurst (1934-2009), |
3rd Viscount Bledisloe
(1) Rupert Edward Ludlow Bathurst (b. 1964), 4th Viscount Bledisloe (q.v.);(2) Hon. Matilda Blanche Bathurst (b. 1967), born 16 February 1967; married, 1995, Charles Leslie Halton Clark (b. 1963) of Steep (Hants), management consultant, and had issue three sons;(3) Hon. Otto Benjamin Charles Bathurst (b. 1971), born 16 June 1971; educated at Eton; television and film director; married Lucinda Garthwaite (b. 1972) and had issue three children.
Bathurst, Rupert Edward Ludlow (b. 1964), 4th Viscount Bledisloe. Elder son of Christopher Hiley Ludlow Bathurst (1934-2009), 3rd Viscount Bledisloe, and his wife Elizabeth Mary, second daughter of Sir Edward Walter Thompson of Gatacre Park (Shrops.), born 13 March 1964. Educated at Eton. Landowner and portrait artist. He succeeded his father as 4th Viscount Bledisloe, 12 May 2009. He married, 7 September 2001, Shera (b. 1971), daughter of Rohinton Sarosh, and had issue:
(1) Hon. Iona Elizabeth Bathurst (b. 2002), born 16 June 2002; educated at Wellington College;(2) Hon. Benjamin Rohinton L. Bathurst (b. 2004), born 28 March 2004;(3) Hon. Agnes Irma Bathurst (b. 2008), born 8 January 2008.
Location of archivesBathurst of Lydney, Viscounts Bledisloe: deeds, manorial and hundredal records, estate papers, personal and legal papers, 13th century-1890 [Gloucestershire Archives, D421]
Coat of arms
Can you help?
- Can anyone provide additional information about the 36 children of Benjamin Bathurst (1692-1767), especially the ten who I have not traced in the records?
- I should be most grateful if anyone can provide photographs or portraits of people whose names appear in bold above, and who are not already illustrated.
- Any additions or corrections to the text above will be gratefully received and incorporated. I am always particularly pleased to hear from descendants of the family who can supply information from their own research for inclusion.