|Bagot of Kilcoursey|
|Bagot of Aughrane Castle|
Edward's eldest son and principal heir was Col. Milo Bagot, who effectively founded the two branches of the family considered here when he settled the Ard House estate on his eldest son, John Bagot (1702-60) in 1725, and the Kilcoursey estate on his third son, Charles Bagot (b. 1704) in 1734. John Bagot, who must have built the present Ard House if his father had not already done so, had a number of sons who served in the army and who did not long survive him, so Ard House came into the possession of his fourth son, John Lloyd Bagot (d. c.1801). John had married the heiress of an estate at Ballymoe in Co. Galway, and in due course they also inherited this property. There seems never to have been a country house at Ballymoe, although by the mid 19th century there was a dower house there, known as The Hermitage, where members of the family occasionally lived. John Lloyd Bagot was succeeded by his son, Thomas Neville Bagot (1784-1863), who had the reputation of being a 'kindly and indulgent landlord'; he was certainly active in the 1840s in trying to bring relief to his tenants in county Galway, who suffered severely during the Famine. His efforts to support his tenantry cannot have helped his own financial situation, for in 1858 he sold Ard House and its lands through the Encumbered Estates Court, and thereafter divided his time between a house in Dublin and The Hermitage.
Thomas Neville Bagot had three daughters (two of whom reverted to the Roman Catholic faith to the displeasure of their father) and four sons: John Lloyd Bagot (1814-90) who was the heir to Ballymoe; Bernard William Bagot (1816-99) who was a barrister; Charles Augustus Bagot (c.1820-77) who was a solicitor; and Christopher Neville Bagot (c.1822-77), who emigrated in 1844 in search of riches in the Australian goldfields. This sort of sentence has a tendency to conclude with a clause such as "and was never heard of again", but in fact Christopher returned in about 1860 with a very respectable fortune indeed. In 1863 he bought Castle Kelly (Co. Galway) and 11,000 acres through the Encumbered Estates Court, paying £105,000 cash down to complete the purchase, and renaming the house Aughrane Castle. More than a decade of hard work and primitive living in Australia had taken its toll on Christopher, however, and by the 1870s, he was an ailing batchelor with an estimated personal estate of £60,000. To his brothers, who had remained in Ireland and who were in varying degrees in low water financially, his likely early death without heirs gave them reasonable expectations of a resolution to their problems. However, in 1875 Christopher unexpectedly married a baronet's daughter, who on the evidence of their pre-nuptial agreement was expected primarily to act as his nurse. Just three months into the marriage, she produced a baby son. To explain this to the world (and later to the courts), she concocted a story of a previous secret marriage to Bagot in 1874, but it was a very thin story and widely disbelieved. Nonetheless, it seems probable that the child was Bagot's rather than another man's, a view which the courts eventually supported. The appearance in quick succession of a wife and an heir was of course a disaster for the expectations of the circling shark brothers. Led by Bernard, who as a barrister and JP understood the law, the brothers 'rescued' Christopher from the clutches of his wife and succeeded in convincing the ailing man that she was a designing vixen who had tricked him into marriage in the interest of securing his fortune and then saddled him with another man's child. Christopher wrote a new will, explicitly disclaiming the child, but still making fairly generous financial provision for both wife and child, while leaving the majority of the estate to his brothers. When Christopher died in 1877, his widow successfully contested the will in the interests of her son and herself, in one of the most celebrated probate cases of the 19th century. The untimely birth of her son and heir did not help her case or reputation, but the high-handed actions of the brothers were exposed in the court. They then pursued the case in the High Court, where a wise judge made it plain that the parties should compromise, and a settlement was finally reached in 1880, by which the widow and son got a substantially increased share of the estate, but the real estate went to the eldest brother, John Lloyd Neville Bagot (1814-90), who in the interim had inherited the Ballyturin estate in right of his wife.
John Lloyd Neville Bagot died in January 1890 and before the year was out his son, Edward Thomas Lloyd Neville Bagot (1848-90) had followed him to the grave. The Aughrane and Ballymoe properties passed next to Edward's son, Milo Victor Neville Bagot (1880-1913), whose mother took him to live in Italy. The Irish estates were left in the care of Milo's uncle, John Christopher Neville Bagot (1856-1935), who had in his own right inherited Ballyturin House from his father. The Ballymoe estates were sold in 1894, apparently to pay off liabilities on the property. Aughrane was occupied by another of Milo's uncles, Charles Henry Bagot (1860-1938), but shortly before Milo was due to come into his estate at the age of thirty, and perhaps because Milo had recently married an Italian girl and made it plain he did not intend to return to Ireland, Aughrane Castle was sold too. The sale was conducted through the Land Commission (of which J.C.N. Bagot was a member) and while the castle and some 300 acres were converted into an Agricultural College, the rest of the estate was sold to the tenants. J.C.N. Bagot continued to live at Ballyturin House until 1921, when a group of his friends, including a senior policeman, his wife, and two junior army officers, were ambushed and murdered by the IRA at the gates when driving away after a tennis party.
|An artist's impression of the Ballyturin House ambush, 15 May 1921.|
Image: Illustrated London News
In 1734, Col. Milo Bagot settled the Kilcoursey estate in Co. Offaly on his younger son, Charles Bagot (b. 1704). At this time there was perhaps just an old castle as a residence on the property (fragments of which are said to remain), and it may have been Charles or his son Daniel Bagot (c.1741-85) who first replaced it with the house that is shown on the 1st edition of the Ordnance Survey 6", c.1840. Frustratingly, however, nothing seems to be known of the appearance of this building, so in the absence of archival evidence it is impossible to date more closely. Daniel was succeeded by his son, the Rev. Charles Emilius Bagot (c.1767-1802), who died relatively young after being afflicted for some months by a progressive religious mania. His son, Charles Bagot (1791-1864) came of age in 1812 and in 1833 inherited from his maternal grandmother a property adjoining Kilcoursey which was then known simply as 'Cottage', but which was already a substantial building and had perhaps been built as a dower house. Charles had five sons and two daughters from two marriages. With the exception of his eldest son, Charles Emilius Bagot (1815-63), who trained as a doctor and practised at Ballingarry and later in Dublin, his family by his first wife emigrated to Australia in 1850. It had no doubt been intended that C.E. Bagot would succeed to Kilcoursey, but he was an invalid and did not survive his father. The property therefore passed to his next brother, John Tuthill Bagot (1819-70), who was forging a successful career as a solicitor and politician in Adelaide. He came home only briefly to claim his inheritance, and although some lands may have been sold soon afterwards, he retained the majority of the property until his death. His representatives sold it in the Landed Estates Court in 1876. It was perhaps at this time that the 18th century Kilcoursey House was abandoned in favour of the dower house, to which the name Kilcoursey House, was transferred. That house was later substantially enlarged and remodelled for the Goodbody family in 1911, and still exists today.
Ard House, Geashill, Co. Offaly
|Ard House: entrance front, 2018. Image: Conor Kenny|
The original interior plan of the house survives, and shows how the house was formed of three compartments, the middle one of which was devoted entirely to a hall containing an oversized staircase, which was flanked by the principal rooms. The stairs, which have a moulded handrail supported by panels of evenly-spaced turned balusters, are an original feature of the house and unusually run from the ground floor to the attic.
Kilcoursey House, Clara, Co. Offaly
|Kilcoursey House, as shown on 1st edn. 6" map, c.1840.|
The present building known as Kilcoursey House is a long low one and a half storey structure, first built before 1833, apparently as a dower house, and called simply 'Cottage'. The site of this is visible on the map shown here on a site a little to the north-east of the original house. The Cottage was apparently enlarged or rebuilt in 1909 for J.H. Goodbody, a Quaker textile manufacturer whose family owned mills in Clara in the Victorian and Edwardian period. On the garden side the house overlooks a series of terraces running down to the River Brosna. In 1985 it achieved a brief notoriety as the setting for the still unsolved but apparently non-sectarian murder of a Catholic priest.
Ballyturin House, Co. Galway
|Ballyturin House. Image: courtesy of Dr. Patrick Melvin & Eamonn de Burca/Skehana & District Heritage|
|Ballyturin House: ruins. Image: Tarquin Blake/Abandoned Ireland.|
Aughrane Castle (formerly Castle Kelly), Ballygar, Co. Galway
|Castle Kelly alias Aughrane Castle. Image: courtesy of Dr. Patrick Melvin & Eamonn de Burca/Skehana & District Heritage|
Bagot family of Ard House, Ballyturin and Aughrane Castle
(2) Arthur Bagot (fl. 1711); executor of his father's will;
(3) Christopher Bagot; from whom descend the Bagots of Nurney and Kilnoon;
(4) Elizabeth Bagot (d. 1725); married George Medlicott (c.1649-1717) of Tully (Co. Kildare), fourth son of Thomas Medlicott of Abingdon (Berks) and had issue seven sons and seven daughters; died 29 December 1725.
He lived at Harristown and Walterstown (both Co. Kildare) and secured grants of land in Kildare and Co. Offaly from the Crown in 1700 in compensation for the loss of the Bagotstown estate, seized when his cousins were attainted for their support of James II.
He died in 1711 and was buried in Kildare Cathedral. His wife's date of death is unknown.
(1) John Bagot (1702-60) (q.v.);
(2) Elizabeth Bagot (1702-39); married, 15 March 1719, as his first wife, Warneford Armstrong (1699-1767) of Ballycumber (Offaly), and had issue five sons and six daughters; died 23 October 1739;
(3) Michael Bagot (d. 1744); died without issue;
(4) Charles Bagot (b. 1704) [for whom see Bagot family of Kilcoursey below];
(5) Mary Bagot; married Thomas Walsh of Hallaboys (Co. Kildare), but died without issue.
He inherited the Kildare and Offaly estates of his father in 1711. He settled Ard House, on his son John in 1725, and Kilcoursey on his son Charles in 1734. He lived at Newtown (Co. Leix).
He died in 1738/9 and is said to have been buried at 'Kilmansham near Clare'; his will was proved at Dublin in 1738/9. His wife's date of death is unknown.
(1) Milo Bagot (d. c.1766); died without issue; an officer in the 32nd Foot (Lt.; retired, 1764); his will was submitted to the Prerogative Court of Dublin 1766 but was not proved;
(2) William Bagot; died without issue;
(3) Charles Bagot; an officer in the 32nd Foot (Lt., 1764); died without issue;
(4) John Lloyd Bagot (d. c.1801) (q.v.);
(5) Thomas Bagot; died without issue;
(6) Mary Bagot; died without issue;
(7) Margaret Bagot; married Archibald Armstrong (1726-93) of Garry Casle, Banagher (Offaly) and had issue (who assumed the name of Bagot).
Ard House, near Geashill, was settled on him by his father in 1725.
He died in 1760; his will was proved at Dublin in 1760. His wife's date of death is unknown.
(1) John Cuffe Bagot (c.1776-1804); lived at Westminster (Middx); died unmarried and without issue, 1804; will proved in Dublin, 1804;
(2) Louisa Bagot (c.1777-1863); married [forename unknown] Burke; died at Ballymoe, 11 June 1863;
(3) William Bagot (d. 1804); lived at Dublin; died without issue; probably the man of this name whose will was proved at Dublin, 1804;
(4) Cordelia Bagot (d. 1801); died unmarried; will proved at Dublin, 1801;
(5) Isabella Matilda Bagot (c.1780-1868); died unmarried, aged 88, Oct-Dec 1868;
(6) Thomas Neville Bagot (1784-1863) (q.v.);
(7) Maria Bagot (c.1785-1873); died unmarried, aged 88, Apr-Jun 1873.
He inherited Ard House, near Geashill (Co. Offaly) from his father or brother in the 1760s, and Ballymoe (Co. Galway) in right of his wife.
His will was proved in 1801. His widow may be the 'Catherine Bagot' buried at St John, Dublin, on 28 September 1817.
(1) Letitia Mary Bagot (c.1813-98); a Roman Catholic nun; died unmarried at Kingstown (Co. Dublin), 8 January 1898;
(2) John Lloyd Neville Bagot (1814-90) (q.v.);
(3) Bernard William Bagot (1816-99), of Carranure House (Roscommon), born 28 December 1816; educated at Trinity College, Dublin (admitted 1834; BA 1839) and Kings Inns, Dublin (called to bar, 1843); barrister-at-law; JP for Co. Roscommon; was apparently the moving spirit in the family's attempt to wrest the fortune of his younger brother Christopher away from Christopher's widow and son, which after a lengthy legal case which consumed a sizeable part of the value of estate, was only partially successful; married 1st, 17 December 1850 at Rathfarnham (Co. Dublin), Euphemia (d. 1855), daughter of Richard John Hinds of Newgrove (Co. Longford) and Mount Prospect, Rathgar (Co. Dublin) and had issue one son; married 2nd, 18 March 1862 at St Peter, Dublin, Josephine Isabella, daughter of Joseph A. Holmes of Clogher House (Co. Sligo) and had issue two daughters; died 22 January 1899;
(4) Ellen Mary Bagot (d. 1866); died unmarried at Chateau Huplandre, Boulogne (France), 26 July 1866;
(5) Charles Augustus Bagot (c.1820-77), born about 1820; educated at Trinity College, Dublin (admitted 1834; BA 1840; MA 1863); solicitor in Dublin; certified insane, 1873; married, 28 September 1858 at St Peter, Dublin, Fanny Louisa, daughter of A.S. Kerr of Dublin, and had issue three sons (who all emigrated and died abroad); died 18 April 1877; will proved 19 September 1877 (effects under £3,000);
(6) Christopher Neville Bagot (c.1822-77) (q.v.);
(7) Catherine (k/a Kate) Bagot (d. 1908); married, 4 January 1849 at St Thomas, Dublin and St Mary's RC Pro Cathedral, Dublin, Francis Meagher (d. c.1854) of Ballinderry (Tipperary), barrister-at-law, and had issue one son; lived latterly in Italy; died at Genoa, 16 March 1908; will proved in Dublin, 26 October 1908 (effects £1,268).
He inherited the Ard House and Ballymoe estates from his father in 1801, but sold Ard through the Encumbered Estates Court in 1858. He lived thereafter at The Hermitage, Ballymoe, and also owned a house in Fitzwilliam St., Dublin.
He moved to France for health reasons in 1862, and died at his youngest daughter's house in Boulogne, 8 February 1863; administration of his goods was granted to his second son, 14 March 1863 (effects under £1,000). It is probably he who is commemorated by a tomb with an effigy at Ballymoe, the inscription on which is now too damaged to be legible. His wife died suddenly of an apoplexy after dinner at their Dublin house on 17 March 1848.
(1) (Edward) Thomas Lloyd Neville Bagot (1848-90) (q.v.);
(2) Edward Henry Kirwan Bagot (1850-82); born 1850; died unmarried, Oct-Dec 1882;
(3) John Christopher Bagot (1856-1935) (q.v.);
(4) twin, Charles Henry Bagot (1860-1938) (q.v.);
(5) twin, Anna Isabella Bagot (1860-1942), born 31 May 1860; lived at Listride, Roscommon; died unmarried, 17 April 1942; administration of goods granted 22 June 1942 (estate £309);
(6) Ellen Georgina Bagot (1863-1953); married, 12 December 1907, Harry Huggins (1866-1938), eldest son of Henry Huggins of St. Annes-on-Sea (Lancs), but had no issue; died, 22 July 1953; her will proved 12 September 1953 (estate £3,348).
He inherited the Ballymoe estate from his father in 1863, and Aughrane Castle after lengthy legal proceedings following the death of his youngest brother in 1877. He also inherited Ballyturin House in right of his wife. At his death, Ballymoe and Aughrane passed to his eldest son and Ballyturin to his second surviving son.
He died 14 January 1890; his will was proved 29 April 1890 (effects £4,789). His wife died 14 May 1888; administration of her goods was granted 21 June 1890 (effects £1,900).
(1) twin, Milo Victor Neville Bagot (1880-1913), born 19 March 1880; married, October 1908, Maria Boccacio (b. c.1885) of Turin (Italy), but had no issue; died in Genoa (Italy), 1913;
(2) twin, Laline Anna Letitia Bagot (1880-82), born 19 March 1880; died in infancy, 20 November 1882.
He inherited the Ballymoe and Aughrane Castle estates from his father in 1890. At his death they passed to his son, then a minor, subject to a proviso he would not come of age until he was 30 (in 1910). John Christopher Neville Bagot (1856-1935) acted as his guardian, and sold the Ballymoe estate in 1894 and Aughrane Castle in 1909.
He died 10 October 1890; administration of his goods was granted to his widow, 5 February 1907 (remaining effects £143). His widow died at Maurizio, Turin (Italy), 31 August 1925; administration of goods granted 10 June 1927 (effects £643).
|J.C.N. Bagot (1856-1935)|
(1) Mary Eileen Bagot (1894-1984), born 5 February 1894; married, 21 April 1925 (div. 1947) Brig. James Gerald Bruxner-Randall CBE (1890-1986), son of Col. Richard George Bruxner-Randall of Thurlaston Holt (Leics) and had issue two sons and one daughter; died in London, 9 October 1984; will proved 8 January 1985 (estate £190,357);
(2) Kathleen Anna Bagot (1899-1979), born 21 January 1899; married, 26 June 1923, Kenneth Haldane Watts (1885-1953), son of William Arthur Watts of West Garth, St. Ives (Cornw.), but had no issue; died in Chester, 2 October 1979; will proved 8 February 1980 (estate £56,265).
He inherited Ballyturin House from his father in 1890, but abandoned it after a group of his friends were ambushed and murdered at his gates in 1921 in one of the most brutal assaults during the struggle for Irish independence. He moved to Hill Top, Gresford (Denbighs.)
He died 27 April 1935 and was buried at Gresford (Denbighs.); his will was proved 28 June 1935 (estate £1,238). His widow died in London, 17 January 1963, and was buried at Gresford; her will was proved 29 April 1963 (estate £25,530).
(1) Anna Georgina Bagot (1892-1958), born 14 September 1892; died unmarried, 7 February 1958;
(2) Charles Edward Kirwan Bagot (1895-1976) (q.v.);
(3) Gwendoline Frances Bagot (b. 1898), born 2 December 1898; married, 15 April 1931, William Gerald Ridgeway FRCSI, DPH (1886-1936), sixth son of Richard Grubb Ridgeway of Riverview House, Waterford, but had no issue; living at Swanbrook House, Donnybrook (Co. Dublin) in 1976; date of death unknown.
He lived at Aughrane Castle after the death of his brother in 1890, but when it was sold to the Estates Commissioners in 1909 he moved to Curraghmore, Athleague (Co. Roscommon).
He died 19 September 1938; administration of his goods was granted to his younger daughter, 29 March 1939 (estate £59). His widow died 24 May 1941.
(1) Charles Christopher Neville Bagot (b. 1930), born 2 March 1930; educated at Marlborough; served as an officer in Royal Artillery (Lt.); shipping executive; married, 14 November 1964, Jennifer Muriel (b. 1932), daughter of HH Judge William Donald Massey Sumner of Brissenden House, Bethersden (Kent) and had issue one son and three daughters;
(2) Finetta Veronica Angella Bagot (b. 1933), born 12 February 1933; married, 27 October 1956, Richard Wallace Paul Mellish MB BS (1923-2008) of Burlington, Vermont (USA), second son of Rev. Edward Noel Mellish VC MC of South Petherton (Somerset) and had issue two sons and one daughter.
He lived latterly at Greengates, Painswick (Glos).
He died 2 July 1976; will proved 22 November 1976 (estate £5,726). His wife died in November 1995.
Bagot, Christopher Neville (c.1822-77). Fourth son of Thomas Neville Bagot (1784-1863) and his wife Ellen, daughter of John Fallon of Runnimead (Co. Roscommon), born about 1822. Educated at Trinity College, Dublin (admitted 1838). In 1844 he went to Australia and it is to be presumed that he was a successful gold prospector, for he returned with a fortune and the nickname 'The Nugget'. JP for Galway and Roscommon, 1863. The disputed and bizarre circumstances of his marriage and family life are explored at length in press reports of the legal dispute about his will, which became one of the most celebrated and sensational of 19th century probate cases. He married, 8 August 1875, the beautiful Alice Emily (1853-1908), daughter of Sir William Verner, 2nd bt., and had issue:
(1) William Hugh Neville Bagot (1875-1960), born 22 October 1875; lived at Haut de Mont, La Haule, Jersey; married, 1909 at St Marylebone, London, Louise Kauffman (d. 1967) and had issue one son and two daughters; died 15 February 1960.
He purchased Castle Kelly (Co. Galway) in the Incumbered Estates Court in 1863, and renamed it Aughrane Castle. His purchase included the castle and 11,000 acres, for which he paid £105,000.
He died 23 May 1877; his will was the subject of lengthy litigation between his widow and his brothers, as a result of which a compromise was reached by which his son was declared legitimate and financial provision was made for him and for the widow, while the Aughrane estate passed to his eldest brother; administration of his personal estate was granted 9 August 1878 (effects under £18,000) and full probate was granted 12 August 1880 (effects under £25,000). His widow married 2nd, 30 October 1879 (div. 1895), Maj. Reginald Wynne Roberts DSO (1856-1913), son of Evan Roberts, and had further issue two sons and two daughters; she died 9 July 1908.
Bagot family of Kilcoursey House
(1) Milo Bagot; JP for Co. Offaly; High Sheriff of Co. Offaly; Col. of Kings' County Corps of Infantry, 1779; married Sophia, daughter and co-heir of William Wetherall of Castletown, but died without issue;
(2) Daniel Bagot (c.1741-85) (q.v.);
(3) Andrew Bagot; died unmarried;
(4) Eliza Bagot (d. 1833); married Ulysses North (c.1738-80) and had issue two daughters (Elizabeth, who married in 1791 her first cousin, Rev. Charles Emilius Bagot; and Mary, who married her first cousin, Milo Bagot (1774-1831)); died shortly after 30 October 1833.
His father settled the Kilcoursey estate on him by deed in 1734.
His date of death is unknown. His wife's date of death is unknown.
(1) Rev. Charles Emilius Bagot (1766-1802) (q.v.);
(2) Daniel Bagot (c.1770-1817), born about 1770; Secretary of the Irish Grand Canal Co., by 1804; married, 9 November 1793, Eliza Cole (d. 1834), only child of Capt. Robert Ponsonby Molesworth, and had issue two sons and one daughter; buried at St Peter, Dublin, 28 September 1817;
(3) Milo Bagot (1774-1831); a nonconformist in religion; married, c.1795 (post-nuptial settlement, 19 September), Mary, second daughter of Ulysses North of Newcastle (Co. Westmeath); buried at St Mary, Dublin, 25 January 1831;
(4) Emily Bagot (d. 1855); married William Edgeworth; died 30 June 1855;
(5) Margaret Bagot (d. 1855); married Thomas Oldham of Dublin and had issue; died in Dublin, 14 April 1855;
(6) Sarah Bagot (c.1780-1868), born about 1780; died unmarried in Dublin, 25 July 1868;
(7) Andrew Bagot (c.1784-1850), born about 1784; educated at Trinity College, Dublin (admitted 1804); succeeded his brother as Secretary of the Irish Grand Canal Co., 1817-25 and later as Superintendent of the Canal Trade; married, c.1808, Eliza Shaw (c.1771-1851), and had issue three sons and three daughters; died in Dublin, 17 February 1850;
He inherited the Kilcoursey estate from his father.
He died in Philipstown (Co. Offaly), 1785. His wife's date of death is unknown.
(1) Charles Bagot (1791-1864) (q.v.);
(2) Eliza Anne (or Jane) Bagot (c.1795-1866); married, 1815, Rev. John Ball (d. 1833), curate of Delgany (Co. Wicklow), 1827-30, and had issue including one son; died in Dublin, 27 November 1866;
(3) Ulysses Henry Bagot (b. c.1799); educated at Trinity College, Dublin (admitted 1820); died unmarried, probably before 1833;
(4) William Bagot (fl. 1833); died unmarried;
(5) Emilius Walker Bagot (d. 1864); died unmarried, Jan-Mar 1864.
He inherited the Kilcoursey estate from his father in 1785.
He died 3 March 1802. His widow's date of death is unknown.
(1.1) Charles Emilius Bagot (1815-63), born 1815; studied medicine at Glasgow University (MD, 1840; MS, 1853); ran a dispensary at Ballingarry (Tipperary) and later practised in Dublin, but suffered from an unspecified ailment which limited his ability to practice, and caused him to devote more time to medical research; Licentiate of the King's & Queen's College of Physicians, 1859; published numerous papers, chiefly on medical subjects; committee member of the National Art Union for Ireland, 1846 (Chairman, 1848); died unmarried and without issue, 29 November 1863;
(1.2) John Tuthill Bagot (1819-70) (q.v.);
(1.3) Ulysses North Bagot (1822-82), born 1822; emigrated to Adelaide, South Australia with his brother, 1850, and operated there as a merchant; freemason from 1853; married 21 February 1850 at St Peter, Dublin, Rachel (c.1826-84), second daughter of John Meyler, and had issue three daughters (of whom one died in infancy and the others unmarried); died at Adelaide, 8 November 1882;
(1.4) Deborah Henrietta Bagot; died young;
(1.5) Mary Bagot; died young;
(1.6) Eliza Mary Bagot (c.1827-1906); emigrated to Australia with her siblings; died unmarried at Adelaide, 3 November 1906;
(1.7) Anna Frances Bagot (c.1828-1910); emigrated to Adelaide, South Australia; married, 13 September 1853 at St Peter, Dublin, George Augustus Labatt (1825-95), barrister in partnership with her brother, fourth surviving son of Samuel Bell Labatt MD of Rutland Square, Dublin, and had issue three sons and three daughters; died 18 August 1910;
(2.1) Rev. Andrew Edmond Bigoe Bagot (1842-1923), born 30 April 1842; baptised at St Peter, Rathmines, Dublin, 15 July 1863; studied mathematics and physics at Trinity College, Dublin (BA 1863) and at Kings Inns, Dublin (admitted 1864; called to bar, 1867); barrister-at-law; rector of St Mary, Beswick, Manchester; Hon. Sec. of Christian Evidence Society, 1889; married, 21 August 1878 at Dunham Massey (Cheshire), Clara Louise (1857-98), daughter of James Arthur Birch, but had no issue; they were divorced in 1894 after she became an alcoholic and violent towards her husband; died 23 February 1923;
(2.2) Daniel Walter Wagstaffe Bagot (1844-63), born 1844; medical student at Trinity College, Dublin; died unmarried at Kilcoursey House, 1 September 1863.
He inherited the Kilcoursey estate from his father in 1802 and the adjoining property called 'Cottage' from his maternal grandmother, Eliza North, in 1833. At his death he seems to have left his property to his eldest son. His widow moved to Dublin. He lived mainly at a house in Charlemont Mall, Dublin.
He died in Dublin, 8 August 1864; will proved 22 November 1864 (effects £540). His first wife's date of death is unknown. His widow died 4 August 1886; administration of her goods was granted 20 August 1886 (effects £1,135).
|John Tuthill Bagot (1819-70)|
(1) Sarah Anne Woodcock Bagot (1849-53), born September 1849; died young, 19/20 January 1853 and was buried at West Terrace Cemetery, Adelaide;
(2) Charles Ulysses Bagot (1851-1919), born in Adelaide, 28 July 1851; member of the Grand Lodge of Freemasons of Ireland in Adelaide, 1899; Government warden at the Peak Hill Goldfield (Western Australia) by 1899 and later at Coolgardie (Western Australia), c.1903-06; married, 22 May 1895 in Adelaide (South Australia), Margaret Eleanor (1853-1925), daughter of George Alexander Lawson, but had no issue; died 17 December 1919 and was buried at West Terrace Cemetery, Adelaide, South Australia;
(3) John Meyler Bagot (1852-1924), born in Adelaide, 27 August 1852; married, 1888 in Victoria (Australia), Mary Ellen Murray and had issue two sons and one daughter; died in Sydney, New South Wales (Australia), 29 June 1924;
He inherited the Kilcoursey estate from his father in 1864 and returned to Ireland to claim his inheritance before quickly going back to Australia. Some of his lands may have been sold at that time, but his remaining property was sold by his representatives in the Landed Estates Court in 1876.
He died of apoplexy in Adelaide, South Australia, 5 August and was buried in West Terrace Cemetery, Adelaide, 7 August 1870; an obituary was published in the South Australian Register, 13 August 1870. His widow died 14 September 1898 and was buried at West Terrace Cemetery, Adelaide; her will was proved 3 February 1899.
SourcesBurke's Irish Family Records, 1976, pp. 49-50; Burke's Landed Gentry, 1850, i, pp. 43-44; The Christian Guardian for 1812, iv, pp. 1-8; M. Bence-Jones, A guide to Irish country houses, 2nd edn., 1990, p. 15; M.C. Lyons, Illustrated Incumbered Estates, Ireland 1850-1905, 1993, pp. 219-20; P. Melvin, Estates and Landed Society in Galway, 2012, pp. 46, 65, 83, 88, 105-06, 158-59, 162, 183-84, 197, 370.
Location of archivesNo significant archive is known to survive.
Coat of armsBagot of Kilcoursey: Argent, on a chevron gules, between three martlets sable, as many mullets or.
Bagot of Aughrane Castle: Ermine, two chevronels azure, in the dexter chief point a trefoil, slipped, vert.
Can you help?
- Provide additional historic or contemporary images of the houses described above? I would be particularly keen to trace an illustration of Kilcoursey House as it existed between the 1730s and 1870s, and of the present Kilcoursey House before it was enlarged in 1911.
- Provide additional genealogical information for the members of the family given here, or portraits or photographs of any of those whose names are given in bold?