This family can be traced back to a family of yeomen farmers in Westmorland and adjoining parts of Yorkshire and Cumberland. John Barrow (1713-1800), who farmed at Howgill near Sedbergh (Yorks WR) took advantage of having a well-known grammar school on his doorstep and sent his two eldest sons there, and then to university. The elder, the Rev. Richard Barrow (1747-1838), went to Cambridge, while his younger brother, the Ven. William Barrow (1754-1836), went to Oxford. William became Headmaster of the Soho Square Academy in London but made his name by publishing a series of lectures he delivered at Oxford in 1799 and then a treatise on education in 1802. In 1815 he joined his elder brother at Southwell (Notts) when he became a prebendary of the Minster there, and in 1830 he was appointed Archdeacon of Nottingham, although he was obliged by ill-health to resign two years later. His brother Richard, who was a Vicar Choral at Southwell for sixty-four years, was one of the great pluralists of the late Georgian age, holding four rich livings in addition to his post at the Minster. He had five sons and four daughters, from whom this gentry family descend.
|Barrow of Sydnope Hall|
Richard's two eldest sons, George Hodgkinson Barrow (1779-1853) and William Hodgson Barrow (1784-1876) were trained as solicitors, but although both of them practiced for many years, their principal focus moved on to other matters. William retired from practice in 1833 and lived quietly as a gentleman in Southwell until in 1851, at an age when most men are fully retired, he stood for Parliament in the south Nottinghamshire constituency. He was a anti-free trade Conservative, and the bitterly contested election he fought was against another man of the same views, Lord Newark. The difference between them was that Barrow represented the tenant farmers' interest, while Lord Newark stood for the landlords' interest. In the end, Barrow won by eleven votes, and he was thereafter re-elected unopposed until he retired at the age of 89, having for a long time been the oldest sitting member of the house. His brother George married in 1805 and acquired an interest in a small iron foundry as a result. From 1811 he was the sole proprietor and over the next thirty years he developed the business into a large coal mining and ironmaking business known as the Staveley Ironworks. Until the late 1820s he was based in Southwell and commuted to Staveley to manage the ironworks, but this was tiring and time-consuming, and in 1829-31 he leased a piece of land near the ironworks from the Duke of Devonshire and built Ringwood Hall to provide him with a base close to the ironworks.
The next two sons of the Rev. Richard Barrow, Richard (1787-1865) and John (1790-1871) became merchants trading with Spain and Portugal (and later with China). Richard managed the London end of the operation while John lived in Bilbao (Spain) and looked after their Iberian interests. By 1840 they had made a sufficient fortune and John, at least, wished to retire. The business was sold and with his share of the capital, John bought the Normanton Hall estate at Southwell, where he could be close to William. Richard was perhaps less keen to retire, for he used his share of the capital to buy the Staveley Ironworks from his brother George. Over the next twenty years he grew the business eightfold and in 1863 he converted it into a limited company, receiving £600,000 for the shares which he sold at incorporation, even though he retained a large stake. When he died childless in 1865, the chairmanship was taken over by John until his death in 1871, but the real control passed to Charles Markham (1823-88), whom Richard had head-hunted to join the firm as managing director in 1863. John's son, John James Barrow (1829-1903) and his sons, John Burton Barrow (1855-1914) and Leonard Norman Barrow (1861-1932) were directors, but never had a controlling interest in the business.
|Trade card of George Hodgkinson Barrow (1779-1853) of the Staveley Ironworks, with a depiction of the works.|
George Hodgkinson Barrow was probably willing to sell the Staveley Ironworks to his brother Richard in 1840 because neither of his sons was interested in taking over the business. The elder, the Rev. George William Barrow (1806-57), was a clergyman who did not long survive his father, and the younger, Richard Bridgeman Barrow (1809-76), was a solicitor in Southwell, who showed no interest in industry. After George Hodgkinson Barrow died, Ringwood Hall was either sold or bequeathed to his brother Richard, who had the same need of a local base as had caused George to build it in the first place. To replace it, Richard Bridgeman Barrow eventually bought Sydnope Hall at Darley Dale near Matlock. This property descended to his son, Bridgeman Langdale Barrow (1844-1922), who was also a solicitor, and who lived here until his death, but his son, Cecil Bridgeman Barrow (1883-1962) could not afford to occupy it and sold it in 1939.
Richard Barrow (1787-1865) died childless and very rich. The probate valuation of his estate (which excluded real property) was £500,000 and contemporary estimates said he was a millionaire. The bulk of his fortune, together with Ringwood Hall, seems to have passed to his nephew, John James Barrow (1829-1903), who had interests in a range of businesses, both in the UK and on the continent. He gradually expanded his property portfolio, buying the Holmewood estate near Tunbridge Wells (Kent) in 1874 and then Normanton Hall from his father's trustees in 1889. He also had a town house in London, and in 1896 he built a holiday home called Northfield at Dornoch in Sutherland. There seems to be some evidence that his second wife, Dorothea May Barrow (1849-1935), did not get on very well with the children of his first marriage, who were only a few years younger than her. His acquisition of several properties allowed him to provide generously for her (she received the London house, Holmewood and Northfield), while providing separate establishments for his sons John Burton Barrow (1855-1914), who inherited Ringwood Hall, and Leonard Norman Barrow (1861-1932), who inherited Normanton Hall. His daughter and another son who was a clergyman, received cash legacies, while a fourth son, who had been bankrupted in 1897 and was regarded as financially incompetent, got a much smaller cash legacy. The only son of his second marriage, Charles Deans Barrow (1875-1944), is said to have bought the Farmington Lodge estate in Gloucestershire in 1901, and the funds for this purchase no doubt came from his father. He was a career army officer and does not seem to have lived at Farmington until 1919.
|Farmington Lodge: the house as altered by Charles D. Barrow.|
The house at Farmington was later sold, although parts of the estate remain in the possession of his descendants. Dorothea sold Northfield in 1921, and Holmewood was sold after her death. John Burton Barrow sold Ringwood Hall in 1910 to Charles Paxton Markham (1865-1926), who succeeded his father as managing director of the Staveley Coal and Iron Co., and then moved to Apsley Guise (Beds). Normanton Hall remained in the possession of Leonard Barrow's widow and children until the Second World War, and although it was then sold, it was sold subject to the sitting tenancy of Leonard's daughter Marjory Barrow (1895-1957), which ended only when she inherited a property in Rutland from a spinster aunt in 1950.
Ringwood Hall, Staveley, Derbyshire
A rectangular two-storey five-by-three-bay stone house, built in about 1829-31 for George Hodgkinson Barrow (1779-1853), a partner in the Staveley Ironworks, on land which he leased from the Duke of Devonshire. The house is surrounded on the south and east sides by a pretty veranda supported on coupled Ionic columns, which are echoed in the porte-cochère on the entrance front to the north. On the west side is a long two-storey service range which is lower than, and slightly recessed from, the main south front. Inside, the house has a fine stuccoed entrance hall, a cantilevered staircase with a delicate wrought-iron balustrade, and some good marble chimneypieces.
When the house passed to Richard Barrow (1787-1865) in 1853, he laid out the gardens and erected glasshouses between 1853 and 1865.
|Ringwood Hall: the garden front in 1904, showing the attached conservatory on the left.|
These included a 70-foot long conservatory attached to the house and an even more magnificent one, 220 feet long, with a domed octagonal centre, which dominated the formal gardens south-west of the house. The conservatories were filled with carefully tended exotics which were obviously Barrow's pride and joy. He exhibited flowers and fruit at local horticultural shows (alongside the Duke of Devonshire) and opened his gardens to small parties and to his workmen and their families on Sundays. This tradition was maintained after the house was sold in 1910 to another director of the Staveley Ironworks, Charles Paxton Markham, whose father had been head-hunted by Richard Barrow to join the Staveley Iron Co., and had married one of Joseph Paxton's daughters. Markham eventually donated Ringwood Hall to the Staveley Iron & Steel Co. for the benefit of the employees. As a result, the house became one of the assets of British Steel after nationalisation, and was used as a clubhouse for steel workers. As numbers working in the industry dropped it was opened to the general public, and in 1996 it was sold off and converted into an hotel.
|Ringwood Hall: the great conservatory built between 1853 and 1865.|
Descent: George Hodgkinson Barrow (1779-1853); to brother, Richard Barrow (1787-1865); to nephew, John James Barrow (1829-1903); to son, John Burton Barrow (1855-1914), who sold 1910 to Charles Paxton Markham (1865-1926), who bequeathed it to the Staveley Iron & Steel Co.; nationalised as part of British Steel; sold 1996 for conversion to an hotel.
|Ringwood Hall: the entrance front today.|
Sydnope Hall, Derbyshire
Originally a late Tudor farmhouse which was part of the Holt House estate. In 1827 it was bought by Sir Francis Sacheverell Darwin (1786-1859), kt., the physician son of Erasmus Darwin and uncle of Charles Darwin. He greatly enlarged and wholly remodelled the house in the Tudor style, reputedly to the designs of 'J. Barron Wright', who seems to be otherwise unrecorded and I suspect may never have existed. In 1832 he inherited Breadsall Priory and he thereafter transferred much of his time and energy to that property, which he occupied permanently from 1847 until his death in 1859. His alterations to Sydnope turned it into a long low two-storey house with an irregular battlemented south front composed of several different blocks, all with sash windows under hoodmoulds, and a plain three-storey tower at the left-hand end.
The interior was once very impressive, and contained Darwin's collections of fossils, coins and Greek antiquities, as well as paintings and objets de vertu. It also housed a notable Blue John chimneypiece, the design of which has been attributed to Joseph Pickford and George Moneypenny, and which was probably carved by Richard Brown: this was stolen or removed from the house during its conversion to apartments in 1989 and subsequently sold and resold. By 1829 the gardens were 'tastefully laid out with fountains, grottoes, harbours [sic] etc.', to the designs of Sir Francis himself, although it is possible that later alterations to the grounds were made with the advice of Joseph Paxton, who is reputed to have been involved here. Other features of the grounds include Sydnope Stand, an eyecatcher tower (now converted into a cottage), a 16 acre lake (which was later adapted to become Flash Reservoir) and naturalistic streams and waterfalls, which can still be appreciated today.
|Sydnope Hall: the house seen across the valley. The two blocks on the left are modern additions, 'keeping in keeping'.|
After Sir Francis' death, Sydnope was sold to Richard Bridgeman Barrow, who made further changes to the house, probably including the addition of the battlemented porch. The Barrows maintained the gardens, which in 1874 were described in detail in the Journal of Horticulture and Cottage Gardener. A formal terrace adjoining the house was then dominated by a five-tiered fountain, and there were elaborate flower beds filled with bedding plants like the displays in a contemporary urban park. Following the death of Bridgeman Langdale Barrow in 1922, the family moved to nearby Moor House, and Sydnope was put up for sale. However, it did not attract a buyer, and the house stood unoccupied and decaying for the best part of two decades, before being bought in 1939 by Charles Boot of Thornbridge Hall, who repaired it, although he also removed three tiers of the fountain on the terrace to his own house. Whatever his original intentions for the property had been, in 1943 he made it over to Sheffield City Council for use as an elderly people's home, a purpose which it served until the mid 1980s. The Council were probably responsible for the further addition of two large blocks at the western end of the house, of two and three storeys respectively. Although simply detailed, these sufficiently echo the style of the original house to be mistaken at a quick glance for old work; the three-storey block even has battlements. After it closed, the house was sold to developers who converted it into apartments without much sympathy for the original fabric. As a result, there are said to be no surviving historic interiors of interest.
Descent: Samuel Wood sold 1827 to Sir Frances Sacheverel Darwin (1786-1859), kt.; sold after his death to Richard Bridgeman Barrow (1809-76); to son, Bridgeman Langdale Barrow (1844-1922); to son, Cecil Bridgeman Barrow (1883-1962), who sold 1939 to Charles Boot; given 1943 to Sheffield City Council; sold c.1988 for redevelopment as apartments.
Holmewood, Langton Green, Kent
A substantial late classical mansion, built to the designs of Decimus Burton in 1827 on a ridge that is now studded with 19th century seats, for J. Carruthers, and at first called Mitchells. It burned down in 1837 but had been rebuilt to an amended design by 1844 for Sir Charles Locock, physician and gynaecologist to Queen Victoria. who changed the name to Holmewood. It is not clear whether Decimus Burton was involved in the redesign, or how different the present house is to the one that he first built.
The house is a two-storey block, seven bays by five. The entrance front to the north has a porte-cochère with pairs of rather stumpy Greek Doric columns, but otherwise the detail is moving away from the Greek Revival towards the Italianate. The parapet has sunk panels recessed in two stages and this motif is repeated in the panels below the first-floor windows. On the south front the central three bays are brought forward as a semicircular bow window. Inside, light reaches the narrow central hall from an oval skylight via an oval oculus, a version on a smaller scale of the arrangement Burton used at Holwood, Keston (Kent).
|Holmewood: entrance front|
|Holmewood: garden front|
The house was sold in about 1850 to John Heugh, who in turn sold in 1874 to John James Barrow (1829-1903), who was waxing rich on the profits of the Staveley Ironworks in Derbyshire and built up a portfolio of estates across the country of which Holmewood was the most southerly. At his death he bequeathed the house and most of his estate to his widow, Dorothea May Barrow (d. 1935). After she died the house was empty until it was let to The Hill School for Girls on the outbreak of the Second World War. At the end of the war, when the school returned to its usual premises, the Barrow family sold the house to John and Mary Collings, who founded Holmewood Preparatory School in 1945. The school remains in occupation today.
|Holmewood: plan of the estate in 1869 from the 1st edition OS 6" map.|
Descent: built for J. Carruthers; to Sir Charles Locock (1799-1875), 1st bt.; sold c.1850 to John Heugh; sold 1874 to John James Barrow (1829-1903); to widow, Dorothea May Barrow (1849-1935)... leased 1939 to The Hill School for Girls; sold 1945 to John and Mary Collings, who founded Holmewood Preparatory School.
Normanton Hall, Southwell, Nottinghamshire
|Normanton Hall, Southwell: the entrance front, set at right-angles to the street. Image: Alan Murray-Rust. Some rights reserved.|
A mid 19th century Gothic Revival house, looking very much like a generous Victorian rectory, which incorporates part of the predecessor house (of which nothing seems to be known). It is built of red and yellow brick with stone dressings and has a gabled roof with traceried bargeboards. The entrance front, set at right-angles to the road, has two gables, a central two-storey porch and hood moulds to the windows. The garden front has three irregular gables, a short wing to its left, and very varied windows: a canted bay, window in a shallow recess with a basket-shaped head and a first-floor window with a stepped head.
In 1887, when the house was offered for sale, it was described as 'a choice compact modern residence' and as 'substantially built and of modern erection'. It consisted of an entrance hall, dining room, drawing room, morning room and study, together with fifteen bedrooms and service accommodation. Exactly when the house was rebuilt is, however, a bit of a mystery. The statutory list and Pevsner suggest a date of c.1870 on stylistic grounds, but historically the most probable time for its construction would be the 1840s, when John Barrow (1790-1871) bought it on retiring from business. Could the house be this early? The years immediately around 1870 seem unlikely, since John Barrow was then an old man, and after he died in 1871 the house was let until 1887.
In 1889 John James Barrow (1829-1903) purchased Normanton from his father's executors as a home for his second son, Maj. Leonard Newman Barrow (1861-1932), whose widow and daughters continued to live here until the Second World War. During the war, it was used as a residential school for deaf children, and afterwards it was sold, subject to the sitting tenancy of Miss M.G. Barrow (1895-1957). She inherited a property in Rutland in 1950 and moved there, and it has since been sold several times.
|Normanton Hall, Southwell: garden front.|
Descent: Robert Smith, 1st Baron Carrington...John Barrow (d. 1871), who rebuilt the house? but let it from 1874 to Capt. Thomas Francis Rolt to 1882 and then J.E.F. Chambers (to 1887); sold to John James Barrow (1829-1903); to Maj. Leonard Newman Barrow (1861-1932); used during WW2 as a residential school for deaf children; sold to William Milligan (d. 1947), MD of John Player & Sons; sold after his death to Maj. William Foster (d. c.1949)... The house was leased by the Milligans to Miss M.G. Barrow (1895-1957).
Northfield (alias Barrow's Castle), Dornoch, Sutherland
A large Victorian villa, built in 1896 to the designs of James Maitland for John James Jerome Barrow (1829-1903). It consists of a huddle of domestic blocks clustered around an unexpectedly martial tower with machicolations and an oversized stair turret rising a storey higher than the tower itself. The house was later renamed Burghfield House and became an hotel in 1947. It has recently been modernised and converted into a training facility for students in the hospitality industry.
|Northfield, Dornoch, from ane early 20th century postcard.|
Descent: built 1896 for John James Jerome Barrow (1829-1903); to widow, Dorothea Mary Barrow (d. 1935); sold 1921 to Sir Harold Sidney Harmsworth (1868-1940), 1st Viscount Rothermere; sold in 1945 for conversion to an hotel; sold c.2015 to North Highland College.
Barrow family of Southwell and Sydnope Hall
Barrow, John (1713-1800). Third son of Richard Barrow (1682-1741) of Knotts, Heversham (Westmld) and his wife Susannah (1681-1746), daughter of James? Jackson of Burton-in-Kendal (Westmld), baptised at Heversham, 1 August 1713. He married, 27 December 1746 at Dent (Yorks WR), Isabel (d. 1794), daughter of William Hodgson of Dent (Yorks WR) and had issue:
(1) Rev. Richard Barrow (1747-1838) (q.v.);
(2) Susannah Barrow (1749-1815), baptised at Dent, 8 May 1749; died unmarried and was buried at Dent, 5 August 1815;
(3) Catherine Barrow (1752-1838), baptised at Dent, 1 January 1752; married, 11 June 1772 at Kirkby Lonsdale (Westmld), Thomas Kendal (1752-1815) of Kendal (Westmld), and had issue; buried at Tunstall (Lancs), 1 August 1838;
(4) Ven. William Barrow (1754-1836); educated at Sedbergh School and Queen's College, Oxford (matriculated 1774; BA 1778; Chancellor's Prize, 1778; DCL 1799); ordained deacon, 1779 and priest, 1780; Headmaster of the Soho Square Academy, London, 1782-99; delivered the Bampton Lectures at Oxford, 1799, published as Sermons containing answers to some popular objections against the necessity or the credibility of the Christian revelation (1799); wrote and published an influential Essay on Education (1802); vicar of Farnsfield (Notts), 1815-25; prebendary of Southwell, 1815-36; rector of North Wingfield, 1822-26, Waltham (Lincs), 1825-30 and Beelsby (Lincs), 1830-36; archdeacon of Nottingham, 1830-32; a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London; married, 5 January 1791, Elizabeth Anne (1736-1823), only daughter of John Probyn MP, but had no issue; died 19 April 1836 and was buried at Southwell, where he is commemorated by a monument; will proved in the PCC, 4 June 1836;
(5) James Barrow (1757-1811?), of Kendal; married, 17 December 1802 at Kendal, Jane, daughter of David Bowsher and widow of Robert Bainbridge of Howgill, and had issue one daughter; possibly the man of this name whose will was proved at York in 1811;
(6) Isabel Barrow (1762-1859), baptised at Sedbergh (Yorks WR), 31 January 1762; married, 29 April 1786 at Kendal (Westmld), William Bland (d. 1846) of Kendal, and had issue; died aged 96 in Jan-Mar 1859.
John lived at Howgill (Yorks WR).
He was buried at Sedbergh, 10 June 1800. His wife died in 1794.
Barrow, Rev. Richard (1747-1838). Eldest son of John Barrow (1713-1800) and his wife Isabel, daughter of William Hodgson of Dent (Yorks WR), baptised at Dent, 22 October 1747. Educated at Sedbergh School and St John's College, Cambridge (matriculated 1773; BD 1783). Ordained deacon, 1770 and priest, 1772. A great pluralist, he was curate of Kirkburn (Yorks), 1770-74; Vicar of Bleasley (Notts), 1774-78, Master of Southwell Grammar School, 1774-85 and Vicar-Choral of Southwell Minster, 1774-1838; vicar of South Muskham (Notts), 1778-1838, Upton (Notts), 1779-84, Halloughton (Notts), 1784-1838, Rolleston (Notts), 1784-85, Beelsby (Lincs), 1785-86 and Rampton (Notts), 1804-38; and Rector of South Wheatley (Notts), 1778-1838 and Barnoldby-le-Beck (Lincs), 1785-1838. He married, 1 January 1778 at Southwell, Mary (1755-1801), daughter of George Hodgkinson of Southwell, solicitor, and had issue:
(1) George Hodgkinson Barrow (1779-1853) (q.v.);
(2) Mary Anne Barrow (1780-1868), born 21 May and was baptised at Southwell, 1 June 1780; married, 14 August 1817 at Southwell, Rev. William Lawson (c.1750-1833), Fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge, vicar of Kirkby Malzeard and Masham (Yorks NR) and commissary of the peculiar of Masham, son of Richard Lawson of Leeds, but had no issue; died 1 April 1868;
(3) Arabella Barrow (1782-1850), born 12 March 1782; died unmarried at Southwell, 1 September 1850; administration of her goods was granted 11 November 1850;
(4) William Hodgson Barrow (1784-1876), of Southwell, born 1 September 1784; educated at the Collegiate School, Southwell; practised as a solicitor in Southwell, 1806-33; coroner for the Liberty of Southwell; an officer in the Southwell Volunteers (Capt.) and a strong supporter of the Volunteer movement; JP (from 1837) and DL (from 1864) for Nottinghamshire; High Sheriff of Nottinghamshire, 1845-46; in 1851 he fought an extremely closely contested election to be returned as Conservative MP for South Nottinghamshire, standing in the interest of tenant farmers against another Conservative, Lord Newark, who represented the landlord interest; he was thereafter returned unopposed until he retired in 1874, when he was (by seven years) the oldest MP; a Fellow of the Royal Agricultural Society, Royal Botanical Society, Royal Archaeological Institute and Royal Society of Arts; he died unmarried, 29 January, and was buried at Southwell, 4 February 1876;
(5) Richard Barrow (1787-1865) [for whom see below, Barrow of Ringwood Hall, Normanton Hall and Holmewood]
(6) John Barrow (1790-1871) [for whom see below, Barrow of Ringwood Hall, Normanton Hall and Holmewood]
(7) Rev. James Barrow (1793-1881), born 21 October 1793; educated at St John's College, Cambridge (matriculated 1811; BA 1815; MA 1818); Fellow of St. John's College; rector of North and South Lopham (Norfk), 1823-61 and of North Wingfield (Derbys), 1861-78; married, 8 January 1824 at St. Marylebone (Middx), Louisa (1795-1870), illegitimate daughter of Sir Charles Warre Malet, 1st bt., British Resident at Poona (India) by his mistress Amber Kaur, a princess from Rajasthan, and had issue one son and one daughter; died 12 April 1881; will proved 23 March 1881 (effects under £3,000);
(8) Elizabeth Bullen Barrow (b. & d. 1797), baptised at Southwell, 23 February 1797; died in infancy, 25 July 1797 and was buried at Southwell;
(9) Sutton Bullen Barrow (1798-1875), born 1 March 1798; died unmarried, 28 May 1875, and was buried at Southwell; will proved 18 June 1875 (effects under £45,000).
Richard lived at Southwell from 1774 onwards.
He died aged 91 on 23 March 1838; his will was proved in the PCC, 1 August 1838. His wife died 30 August 1801.
|Rev. Richard Barrow (1747-1838).|
Image: Glenn Formoy.
Barrow, George Hodgkinson (1779-1853). Eldest son of Rev. Richard Barrow (1747-1838) and his wife Mary, daughter of George Hodgkinson of Southwell, baptised at Southwell, 25 January 1779. He was articled clerk to George Hodgkinson senior, 1794, and qualified as a solicitor. He was in partnership with George Hodgkinson junior as Barrow & Hodgkinson in Southwell until 1830, and played a leading role in the town: he was, for example, one of the gentlemen proprietors of the Assembly Room built in the town in 1805, and acted as Receiver-General of the Minster. He acquired an interest in a small iron foundry at Hollingwood Common in 1805 through his marriage and became the sole proprietor in 1811. He developed it into the Staveley Ironworks and subsequently diversified into coal mining, creating a vertically-integrated manufacturing business, which, by the time he sold it to his brother Richard in 1840, was employing 500 men. He married, 12 August 1805 at Southwell, Eliza (c.1771-1852), daughter of Walter Mather of Spondon (Derbys) and widow of Edward Richard Lowe (1770-1800) of Southwell, and had issue:
(1) Rev. George William Barrow (1806-57), baptised at Southwell, 23 November 1806; educated at Rugby and St. John's College, Cambridge (matriculated 1825; BA 1833); ordained deacon, 1833; curate of South Muskham (Notts), 1833; married, 5 September 1832 at Averham (Notts), Georgiana (1807-67), youngest daughter of Rev. Robert Chaplin, rector of Averham, but had no issue; died 19 September and was buried at Gravesend (Kent), 24 September 1857;
(2) Elizabeth Eleanor Barrow (1808-85), baptised at Southwell, 9 June 1808; married, 24 July 1866 at St James, Paddington (Middx), Charles Boyer (1822-78), son of Rev. John William Robert Boyer, but had no issue; died in London, 16 April 1885; will proved 23 May 1885 (effects £14,509);
(3) Richard Bridgeman Barrow (1809-76) (q.v.);
(4) Johanna Barrow (1813-71), baptised at Southwell, 28 October 1813; married, 15 September 1853, Rev. John Boyer (1806-90) of Spital House, Chesterfield, son of Rev. John William Robert Boyer; died 8 January and was buried at Kensal Green Cemetery, 12 January 1871; will proved 1 February 1871 (effects under £8,000).
George lived at Southwell until about 1830, and built Ringwood Hall in 1829-31 to provide accommodation nearer the Staveley works.
He was buried at Staveley, 14 May 1853; his will was proved in the PCC, 2 August 1853. His wife died 20 February 1852.
Barrow, Richard Bridgeman (1809-76). Second son of George Hodgkinson Barrow (1779-1853) and his wife Eliza, daughter of Walter Mather of Spondon (Derbys) and widow of Edward Lowe of Southwell, probably born in December 1809 and baptised at Southwell, 14 January 1810. He was articled clerk to his father in 1826. Solicitor at Southwell (Notts). JP and DL for Derbyshire. He married, 1st, 2 August 1836 at Southwell, Avice Elizabeth (1816-66), only daughter of William James May, and 2nd, 29 September 1868 at All Saints, Knightsbridge (Middx), Janetta Hannah (1836-70), daughter of Sir John Lambton Loraine, 10th bt., and had issue:
(1.1) Avice Mary Barrow (1837-1909), born 30 June and baptised at Southwell, 2 July 1837; resident in metal hospitals in Wendover (Bucks) and later Northampton from the 1870s; died unmarried, 13 February 1909; will proved 5 June 1909 (estate £8,825);
(1.2) Richard William Barrow (1838-78), born 1 July 1838; educated at Winchester College (admitted 1851); emigrated to Canada and lived at Kingston, Ontario where he served as an officer in the Royal Canadian Rifle Regt. (Ensign, 1856; Lt., 1858; retired 1862) and served as a JP; a freemason from 1864; returned to England after 1875 (perhaps as a result of his father's death); married Mary (d. 1907) (who m2, 23 August 1887, Lt-Col. Henry Robert Smith DSO, sergeant-at-arms of the Ontario parliament, son of Admiral Sir Henry Smith, kt.), daughter of Thomas Gurley; died at Eastbourne (Sussex), 8 December 1878; will proved 29 January 1879 (effects under £14,000);
(1.3) George Barrow (1839-88), born 1 July and baptised at Southwell, 4 July 1839; solicitor; died at Little Eaton (Derbys), 29 December 1888; administration of goods granted 20 February 1889 (effects £12,353);
(1.4) John Walter Barrow (1840-41), born 20 September 1840; died in infancy, 14 February 1841;
(1.5) Bridgeman Langdale Barrow (1844-1922) (q.v.);
(2.1) Claude Loraine Barrow (1870-1903), born 10 August and baptised at Darley Dale, 31 August 1870; orphaned at the age of six and brought up largely by his aunt, Lady Fairbairn; educated at Jesus College, Cambridge (matriculated 1890); participated in an expedition to survey the New Zealand Alps, 1894-95; Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society and of the Zoological Society; on his return from New Zealand, he moved to the Villa La Romana, Biarritz (France) and converted to the Roman Catholic faith, 1896; in 1900 he took up motor racing and became the agent for Daimler in south-west France; he married, 7 January 1897, Marie Valerie (who m2, 11 June 1907, Lt-Col. Arthur Murray Pirie DSO (d. 1917), and had issue), daughter of Rev. Philip Gurdon of Assington Hall (Suffk), and had issue one son; he died of pneumonia on 13 June 1903 after being injured in a motor racing accident three weeks earlier in which he lost a leg and his Spanish mechanic and a pedestrian were killed; he was buried with his mechanic in the Sabaou cemetery, Biarritz; his will was proved 8 August 1903 (estate £7,390).
Richard lived at Southwell and bought Sydnope Hall (Derbys) in about 1860.
He died 22 June and was buried at Darley Dale, 29 June 1876; his will was proved 15 July 1876 (effects under £30,000). His first wife died at Torquay (Devon), 12 April 1866; administration of her goods was granted 4 May 1866 (effects under £300). His second wife died following childbirth, 28 August and was buried at Darley Dale, 1 September 1870; administration of her goods was granted to her stepson, Bridgeman L. Barrow, 25 May 1894 (effects £113).
Barrow, Bridgeman Langdale (1844-1922). Fourth son of Richard Bridgeman Barrow (1809-76) and his first wife, Avice Elizabeth, only daughter of William James May, born 9 September 1844. He was articled clerk to his father. Solicitor and notary public. JP for Derbyshire. He married, 22 July 1880 at Riddings (Derbys), Jane Margaret (1857-1944), eldest daughter of Charles Henry Oakes of Hollyhurst, Riddings, and had issue:
(1) Charles Langdale Barrow (1881-1907), born 28 May and baptised at Darley Dale, 2 July 1881; educated at Shrewsbury School; emigrated to Canada; died unmarried at Souris, Manitoba (Canada), 27 May 1907; administration of goods granted in London, 7 May 1908 (effects £27);
(2) Alfred James Barrow (1882-1946), born 30 April and baptised at Darley Dale, 1 June 1882; educated at Bedford Grammar School; working in 1939 as a Hoffman presser in a laundry in Blackpool; died unmarried in Blackpool, 19 December 1946; will proved 7 January 1947 (estate £1,330);
(3) Cecil Bridgeman Barrow (1883-1962) (q.v.);
(4) Claude Gerard Barrow (1886-1967), born 15 September 1886; educated at Bedford Grammar School; emigrated to Canada, 1906 but served with Canadian Expeditionary Force in First World War and returned to England between 1924 and 1939; worked subsequently as a nursery gardener near Settle (Yorks WR); married, 4 March 1924 at St Mary, Hunslet, Leeds (Yorks WR), Nora Marian Winifred (1892-1998), second daughter of Rev. Ambrose Garlick, but had no issue; buried at Snainton (Yorks), 7 April 1967; his widow died aged 105 on 27 April 1998;
(5) Margeurite Georgina Barrow (1891-1976), born 15 March and baptised at Darley Dale, 28 April 1891; married, November 1924, Capt. Henry Michael O'Riordan OBE (1883-1955), Royal Marines, but had no issue; lived latterly at St. Mawes (Cornw.); died 28 November and was buried at Liskeard (Cornw.), 2 December 1976; will proved 25 January 1977 (estate £16,964).
Bridgeman inherited Sydnope Hall from his father in 1876.
He died 26 January 1922; administration of his goods (with will annexed) was granted 1 March 1922 (estate £22,926). His widow died 27 January and was buried at Liskeard (Cornw.), 31 January 1944; her will was proved 23 May 1944 (estate £4,972).
Barrow, Cecil Bridgeman (1883-1962). Third son of Bridgeman Langdale Barrow (1844-1922) and his wife Jane Margaret, eldest daughter of Charles H. Oakes of Holly Hurst, nr. Alfreton (Derbys), born 11 November and baptised at Riddings (Derbys), 26 December 1883. Educated at Bedford Grammar School. He served with the Leicestershire Regiment in the First World War (Sgt.). He married, 13 August 1919, Gladys Margeurite (1890-1995), eldest daughter of Rev. Ambrose Garlick, curate of Darley Dale 1893-1904 and later vicar of St Luke, Derby, and had issue:
(1) Peter Langdale Barrow (b. & d. 1920), born 25 August 1920; died in infancy, 23 September 1920;
(2) Barbara Joan Barrow (1921-2011), born 25 October 1921; married, Apr-Jun 1946 at St Helen, Darley (Derbys), John Cuthbert Brooke-Taylor (1916-90) and had issue two sons; died 29 January 2011;
(3) Avice Elizabeth Barrow (b. 1928), born 23 February 1928; married Enos J. Lee (1923-2011) of Ashover (Derbys), and had issue two children.
Cecil inherited Sydnope Hall from his father in 1922, but lived at Moor House, nr. Matlock (Derbys). His repeated efforts to sell Sydnope Hall were eventually successful in 1939.
He died 12 March 1962; administration of his goods was granted 1 February 1963 (estate £11,757). His widow died aged 104 on 12 January 1995.
Barrow family of Ringwood Hall, Normanton Hall, and Holmewood
Barrow, Richard (1787-1865). Third son of Rev. Richard Barrow (1747-1838) and his wife Mary, daughter of George Hodgkinson of Southwell, born 20 July 1787. In partnership with his brother John at Tokenhouse Yard, London, as merchants trading chiefly with Spain and Portugal and later also with China; he managed the English end of the concern. In about 1840, he and his brother retired from this business and he bought the Staveley Ironworks from his elder brother George, greatly expanding the business, which employed 4,260 men at his death compared with around 500 when he bought it. In 1850 he supplied most of the ironwork for the 'Crystal Palace' housing the Great Exhibition of 1851. He built the village of Barrow Hill between 1853 and 1856 to accommodate his workmen. In 1863, the firm became a limited company, of which he was Chairman: he was stated to have received £600,000 for his shares he sold in the business, but he also retained a substantial holding. He suffered acutely from sciatica which made him lame and he walked with the assistance of two sticks in his later years. He was unmarried and without issue.
Richard bought or inherited Ringwood Hall (Derbys) from his brother George in 1853.
He died of a heart attack in London on 10 January 1865, and was buried at Staveley, 17 January 1865; his will was proved 22 February 1865 (effects under £500,000).
|Richard Barrow (1787-1865)|
Barrow, John (1790-1871). Fourth son of Rev. Richard Barrow (1747-1838) and his wife Mary, daughter of George Hodgkinson of Southwell, born at Southwell, 12 August 1790. In partnership with his brother Richard at Tokenhouse Yard, London, as merchants trading chiefly with Spain and Portugal, and later also with China; he lived in Bilbao to manage the Iberian end of the concern for some years. In about 1840 he and his brother retired from this business and he moved to live on his estate at Southwell. After his brother Richard's death he succeeded him as Chairman of the Staveley Ironworks, 1865-71. He was also Chairman of the Amsterdam Waterworks Co. and the Cagliali Gas & Water Co. (established 1862), and a director of the British & Foreign Credit Co. He was probably unmarried, but had issue by Barbara, daughter of Don Izqueiredo of San Roque, Andalusia (Spain):
(X1) Juana Maria Barrow (1827-66), born in Spain, 1827; married, 13 June 1849 at St James, Paddington (Middx), Rev. Disney Legard Alexander (1821-68), vicar of Ganton (Yorks NR), 1853-68, eldest son of Edward Nelson Alexander of Halifax (Yorks WR), solicitor, and had issue four sons and two daughters; died 6 August 1866;
(X2) John James Jerome Barrow (1829-1903) (q.v.).
John purchased Normanton Hall, Southwell on giving up his Spanish business in 1840. He inherited Ringwood Hall from his brother in 1865 and seems to have moved there, although he was at Normanton at the time of the 1871 census.
He died at his London house, 22 July, and was buried at Kensal Green Cemetery, London, 28 July 1871; his will was proved 14 October 1871 (effects under £120,000). His wife's date of death is unknown.
Barrow, John James Jerome (1829-1903). Only, and probably illegitimate, son of John Barrow (1790-1871) and his wife Barbara, daughter of Don Izqueiredo, probably born at San Roque (Spain), 1829. Chairman of the Manchester and Milford Railway Co. (the affairs of which were in Chancery almost from the time its few miles of completed line were opened) and a director of the Staveley Coal & Iron Co., Newstead Colliery Ltd. and Cagliari Gas & Water Co. He was JP and DL for Derbyshire and Master of the Rufford Hounds, 1873. He married 1st, 31 May 1854 at Halifax (Yorks WR), Caroline (c.1833-65), daughter of W. Fergusson Holroyde of Heath Royde, Halifax, and 2nd, 3 July 1867 at Exminster (Devon), Dorothea Mary (1849-1935), eldest daughter of Rev. James Deans, vicar of Exminster, and had issue:
(1.1) John Burton Barrow (1855-1914) (q.v.);
(1.2) Dora Lawson Barrow (1856-1950), baptised at Holy Trinity, Halifax (Yorks WR), 4 October 1856; a keen supporter of the Cottesmore Hunt; lived at 'The Residence', Empingham; died unmarried, aged 93, on 4 June 1950; will proved 28 July 1950 (estate £117,566);
(1.3) Rev. Richard Barrow (1857-1932), born 20 December 1857 at St Leonards-on-Sea (Sussex); educated at Christs College, Cambridge (matriculated 1876; BA 1882; MA 1885); ordained deacon, 1882 and priest, 1885; vicar of Skendleby (Lincs), 1885-1924; lived in retirement at Halton House, Halton Holgate; married, 26 October 1882 at Litcham (Norfk), Elinor May (1858-1941), daughter of Rev. George William Winter, rector of Litcham, and had issue two sons and three daughters; died 21 December 1932; his unusual will proved 17 January 1933 (estate £36,481) left his estate to his widow and on her death to be divided equally between his children, but their legacies were only to be payable if they were or became parents;
(1.4) Copner Walton Barrow (1859-1911), born 14 August and baptised at Southwell, 24 September 1859; educated at Magdalen College, Oxford (matriculated 1879; BA 1885) and Lincoln's Inn (admitted 1881); director of companies; lived at 54 New Walk, Leicester, and later at The Gables, Blewbury (Berks) and Springfield, Kempston (Beds); declared bankrupt in 1897 but cleared his debts on receipt of a legacy of £8,000 from his father in 1904; married 1st, 24 December 1888 at St James, Piccadilly, Westminster (Middx) (div. 1892), Maria de los Dolores (c.1864-1934) (who m3, 1894, Charles Trevor Roller), daughter of John Whitworth Shaw and formerly wife of Francis Lowrey, and had issue one son; married 2nd, Jul-Sept 1906, Ada Rose Goble or Catherine Maud Robertson; died 22 November 1911, and was buried at Kensal Green Cemetery, London; will proved 20 April 1912 (estate £2,152);
(1.5) Maj. Leonard Norman Barrow (1861-1932) (q.v.);
(1.6) Clara Isabella Barrow (1862-1904), born Apr-Jun 1862 and baptised at Torquay (Devon), 20 March 1863; married, 15 November 1883 at Langton Green (Kent), Alfred John Winter (1859-1940) (who m2, 1905, Ada Dunton (b. 1867)), but had no issue; died 29 August 1904; will proved 9 December 1904 (estate £10,129);
(2.1) Lt-Col. Charles Deans Barrow (1875-1944), born 4 April 1875; as a young man he hunted with the Eridge Hounds; an officer in the 3rd (Reserve) Battn., Queens Own (Royal West Kent) Regiment (2nd Lt., 1896; Lt., 1897; Capt. 1902; Maj., 1913; Lt-Col. 1917; retired 1918); bought Farmington Lodge estate (Glos), 1901, altered the house c.1912 and moved there after the First World War; member of Northleach Rural District Council, 1922-44; married, 16 May 1907 at Langleybury (Herts), Violet Frances (1884-1950), daughter of Alfred S. Broadwood of Great Missenden (Bucks), and had issue one son and three daughters; will proved April 1945 (estate £62,466);
(2.2) Edith Mary Barrow (1872-1938), born at Exminster (Devon), 29 December 1872; lived at Broomlands, Langton Green (Kent) and was a generous supporter of many local charities and initiatives; she was an ardent rider to hounds and golfer, and died unmarried on a golfing holiday in Scotland, 11 August 1938; her will was proved 9 November 1938 (estate £99,968);
(2.3) Juana Constance (k/a Nita) Barrow (1876-1963), born 30 September 1876; married, 26 April 1906 at Langton Green, Sidney Stanley Williams (1872-1954) of Boons Park, Edenbridge (Kent), and had issue one son; died 8 August 1963; will proved 5 November 1963 (estate £105,433);
(2.4) Stella Violet Barrow (1879-1914), baptised at Paddington (Middx), 25 March 1879; died unmarried, 31 December 1914; will proved February 1915 (estate £39,544);
(2.5) Nora Cicely Barrow (1881-1929); married, 23 May 1907 at Christ Church, Lancaster Gate, London, William Lindsay Lindsay-Hogg (1882-1918), son of Sir Lindsay Lindsay-Hogg, 1st bt., and had issue two sons; died at Haywards Grange, Uckfield (Sussex), 16 November 1929; will proved 3 January 1930 (estate £10,980).
In the 1850s John James lived at Upper Farm, West Burton (Notts) as agent to his father. After his marriage he moved to Normanton Hall, Southwell, which his father owned. He inherited Ringwood Hall from his uncle in 1865 and moved there. He purchased Holmewood (Kent) in 1874, and Normanton Hall, Southwell in 1887 (from his father's trustees/executors). He had a town house at 35 Hyde Park Gardens, London, which became his main residence in about 1884. He also built Northfield (alias Barrow's Castle) at Dornoch (Sutherland) to the designs of James Maitland in 1896.
He died suddenly of a heart attack at his house in London, 18 July 1903; his will was proved 26 August 1903 (estate £427,002), and left the bulk of his estate to his widow. His first wife died at Torquay, 12 June 1865. His widow died 4 September 1935; her will was proved November 1935 (estate £374,669).
Barrow, John Burton (1855-1914). Eldest son of John James Barrow (1829-1903) and his first wife, Caroline, daughter of W. Fergusson Holroyde of Heath Royde, Halifax (Yorks WR), born 5 March 1855. Educated at Magdalen College, Oxford (matriculated 1873; BA 1878; MA 1880) and Lincoln's Inn (admitted 1874; called 1879). Barrister-at-law. JP for Derbyshire (by 1882). A Conservative in politics, he stood unsuccessfully for Parliament in Mid Derbyshire, 1885 and North-East Derbyshire, 1890. He succeeded his father as Chairman of the Manchester and Milford Railway and was also a director of the Amsterdam Waterworks Co. by 1888 (this proved to be a disastrous speculation), the Continental Union Waterworks Co. (from 1888); and of the Staveley Coal & Iron Co. (from 1891). He was permanently lame but was a keen sportsman and was accounted a fine shot. He had a passion for horses, and kept some of the finest carriage horses in the country to pull his four-in-hand carriage. He married, 14 April 1876 at Staveley, Helen Janet Ada (1855-1936), daughter of Rev. James Duncan Macfarlane, rector of Staveley (Derbys), and had issue:
(1) Rev. Arthur Edmund John Burton Barrow (1877-1958), born 19 May and baptised at Staveley, 24 June 1877; educated at Brasenose College, Oxford and St. Stephen's House, Oxford; ordained deacon, 1903 and priest, 1904; curate 1903-12; vicar of St Mary, Halifax, 1912-21, Worfield (Shrops.), 1921-31, and Bakewell, 1931-38; rural dean of Bridgnorth, 1928-31 and of Bakewell, 1936-38; rector of Great Shefford (Berks), 1938-c.1942; married, 27 September 1908 at St George, Hanover Sq., London, Dorothy Kitty St. Clair Feilden (1882-1960) and had issue one daughter; died 26 September 1958; will proved 29 September 1959 (estate £7,562);
(2) Emily Dora Zoe Hammond Barrow (1878-1951), born 14 October and baptised at Staveley, 24 November 1878; married, 12 October 1910 at Aspley Guise (Beds), Maj. Julian Musgrave Mordaunt (1887-1949) of The Lodge, Aspley Guise and later of Ashton Keynes (Wilts), but had no issue; died 19 January 1951; will proved 12 July 1951 (estate £4,214);
(3) Rev. James Humphrey Copner Barrow (later Macfarlane-Barrow) (1880-1943), born 21 April and baptised at Staveley, 4 June 1880; rector of Christ Church, Lochgilphead and Inverary (Argylls.); married, 7 November 1917 at Lochgilphead, Alice Maie Campbell-Orde (1897-1995), and had issue four sons and two daughters; died 31 May 1943; will confirmed in Scotland;
(4) Richard Murray Barrow (1881-1962), born 31 July 1881; an officer in the merchant marine (second mate, 1902), but c.1906 retrained as a medical practitioner at Durham University (MB, 1911; BS 1911); served in Royal Navy in First World War (Surg-Lt., 1916); doctor in Devon and later at Long Sutton (Lincs) and Stone (Staffs), where he was also a police surgeon; jailed for nine months and struck off the medical register in 1943 for administering abortifacients at the request of a patient, but reinstated on the register in 1944; married, 11 June 1913 at Ryde (IoW), Eleanor Mary Vincent; died at Sevenoaks, 10 March 1962; will proved 16 April 1962 (estate £4,155);
(5) (Ellen) Janet Innes Barrow (1883-1965), born Jan-Mar 1883; well-known stage and radio actress, who progressed from amateur theatricals in Bedfordshire to a long career in the West End; appointed MBE, 1919, for her work with Church of England Institutes in Bedfordshire during the First World War; she was also an expert needlewoman, whose work attracted the attention of Queen Mary; her 'Victory tapestry' helped to raise funds for the reconstruction of St Clement Danes church, London, after the Blitz, and now hangs there; she died unmarried, 5 March 1965; will proved 6 May 1965 (estate £14,677);
(6) Frances Muriel Barrow (1884-1969), born 10 July and baptised at Staveley, 7 August 1884; married, 7 October 1908 at Aspley Guise, John Arnold Hammond-Chambers-Borgnis (1883-1944), of Thicket House, Leckhampstead (Berks), architect, and had issue three sons and two daughters; died 23 September 1969; will proved 4 December 1969 (estate £2,307);
(7) Isabel Joan Barrow (1886-1957), born 19 February and baptised at Staveley, 28 March 1886; married, 9 July 1914 at Aspley Guise, William Brooke Hardy (1880-1942), third son of Dr. William George Hardy of Bournemouth; died 25 September 1957; will proved 3 January 1958 (estate £5,466).
When he was first married John rented Thurgarton Priory (Notts) for a few years before moving to Ringwood Hall, which he inherited from his father in 1903 but occupied by c.1880. He sold Ringwood in 1910, and bought The Red House, Aspley Guise (Beds).
He died of cancer, 25 June 1914; his will was proved 1 June 1915 (estate £14,246). His widow died 2 August 1936 and was buried at Dorchester-on-Thames (Oxon); her will was proved 13 November 1936 (estate £3,179).
|John Burton Barrow (1855-1914)|
Barrow, Maj. Leonard Norman (1861-1932). Second son of John James Barrow (1829-1903) and his first wife, Caroline, daughter of W. Fergusson Holroyde of Heath Royde, Halifax (Yorks WR), born 5 July and baptised at Southwell Minster, 5 August 1861. An officer in the Royal Engineers (2nd Lt., 1888; Lt., 1889; Capt., 1892; Maj., 1893). A director of the Staveley Iron Co., 1919-32. JP for Nottinghamshire (from 1902); Governor of Southwell Grammar School; member of Nottinghamshire County Council. He was a keen sportsman. He married, 10 December 1891 at West Keal (Lincs), Mary Mason (1866-1956), daughter of Lt-Col. Henry Valentine Grantham of West Keal Hall, and had issue:
(1) Nancy Mary Barrow (1893-1958), born 8 December 1893 and baptised at Langton Green (Kent), 14 January 1894; died unmarried at Somersby Grange (Lincs), 26 January 1958; will proved 25 June 1958 (estate £17,169);
(2) Marjory Grantham Barrow (1895-1957); baptised at Langton Green, 31 March 1895; farmer and prize-winning cattle-breeder at Normanton Hall and later at 'The Residence', Empingham (Rutland), which she inherited from her aunt Dora in 1950; died unmarried, 9 September 1957;
(3) Hilda Barrow (1897-1970), born 11 August and baptised at Langton Green, 6 September 1897; married, 4 August 1926, as his second wife, Edward Devon Newman (1885-1977) of Somersby Grange (Lincs), but had no issue; died 22 October 1970; will proved 18 January 1971 (estate £10,317);
(4) Sybil Grantham Barrow (1901-92), born 4 March and baptised at Langton Green, 7 April 1901; married 1st, Jul-Sept 1922 (div. 1926), John Fisher Fosbroke Pain (1898-1974), son of the Rev. Edward Andrew Pain; married 2nd, 12 February 1927, William Arthur Charles Allison Yearsley (1903-68), electronic engineer, and had issue one daughter; died at Beaminster (Dorset), 3 June 1992; will proved 28 January 1993 (estate £114,028);
(5) Leonard Valentine Grantham Barrow (1902-90), born 6 June 1902; educated at Repton School; engineer with Staveley Coal & Iron Co.; joined Royal Air Force Reserve (pilot officer, 1927; flying officer, 1930; retired); return to service in RAF (pilot officer, 1939; flight lt.; sq. ldr. 1943; mentioned in dispatches, 1941); lived at West Mersea (Essex) and became a soft drink manufacturer; died unmarried, 5 June 1990; will proved 20 February 1990 (estate under £100,000).
Leonard lived at Broomlands, Langton Green (then a dower house on the Holmewood estate) and by 1901 at Normanton Hall, Southwell.
He died following an operation, 27 May 1932 and was buried at Southwell Minster, 30 May 1932; his will was proved in 21 July and 11 October 1932 (estate £28,461). His widow died at Woodhall Spa (Lincs), 14 June 1956; her will was proved 23 August 1956 (estate £13,012)
Burke's Landed Gentry, 1898, i, pp. 73-74; Burke's Landed Gentry, 1937, pp. 108-09; M. Craven & M. Stanley, The Derbyshire country house, 2001, pp. 302, 312; D. Barre, Historic gardens and parks of Derbyshire, 2017, pp. 162-64, 169-70;
Location of archives
No significant accumulation is known to survive.
Coat of arms
Per pale, indented, sable and azure, two swords in saltire proper, pommels and hilts or, between four fleurs-de-lis, two in pale of the last and two in fesse, argent.
Can you help?
- Can anyone provide a view of the predecessor of the current Normanton Hall, Southwell, and does anyone know more about when the current house was built?
- Can anyone provide information about the post-Second World War ownership of Normanton Hall, Southwell?
- I should be most grateful if anyone can provide photographs or portraits of people whose names appear in bold above, and who are not already illustrated.
- As always, any additions or corrections to the account given above will be gratefully received and incorporated.
Revision and acknowledgements
This post was first published 11 April 2020 and was updated 2 May 2020. I am most grateful to Simon Dear for additional information and corrections.