|Bell of Bourne Park|
Bourne Park, Bishopbourne, Kent
Bell family of Bourne Park
|John Bell (1765-1836)|
(1) Matthew Bell (1817-1903) (q.v.).
(1) Matthew John Bell (1840-1902) (q.v.);(2) Edward Shurland Bell (1841-61), born 1 September and baptised at St Peter, Eaton Sq., Westminster, 29 September 1841; died unmarried, 16 April 1861;(3) Florence Jane Bell (1842-1921), born 18 September and baptised at Bishopsbourne, 24 November 1842; married, 28 July 1868 at Bishopsbourne, Maj. Allen George Douglas (1834-93), only son of Henry Hamilton Douglas, and had issue one daughter; died 26 January 1921 (estate £22,648);(4) Charles George Bell (1843-85), born 6 September and baptised at Bishopsbourne, 26 October 1843; educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1861); an officer in the 23rd Foot (Ensign, 1863; Lt., 1868; ret. 1873), who was apparently subsequently a planter in Ceylon; married, 17 July 1875 at St Paul, Knightsbridge (Middx), Frances Emma Honoria (later k/a Fanny Beresford) (c.1851-1921), second daughter of Col. John James Whyte of Newtown Manor (Co. Leitrim), and had issue one son and two daughters; died at sea on his passage home from Ceylon, 18 May 1885, and was buried in the Red Sea; administration of his goods granted to his widow, 7 December 1886 (effects £183);(5) An unnamed son (b. & d. 1845), born 10 March 1845 but died the same day;(6) Fanny Alice Bell (1846-1928), born 5 April and baptised at Bishopsbourne, 22 May 1846; married, 26 October 1865 at Bishopsbourne, Charles Stewart Hardy (1842-1914) of Chilham Castle (Kent) and had issue five sons and three daughters; died 14 June 1928 and was buried at Chilham;(7) Augusta Rose Bell (1848-1945), born 27 January and baptised at St Mary, Bryanston Sq., Westminster (Middx), 28 February 1848; married, 4 January 1876 at Bishopsbourne, Lt. William Gaven Eden RN (1849-1931) of Benburb, East Grinstead (Sussex), eldest son of Rev. Arthur Eden, vicar of Ticehurst (Sussex), and had issue two sons and four daughters; died aged 97 on 13 December 1945; will proved 3 May 1946 (estate £4,027);(8) Eleanor Margaret Bell (1849-1933), born 8 July and baptised at Bishopsbourne, 7 September 1849; married, 16 July 1874 at Bishopsbourne, Canon Arthur Ellison Molineux (1846-1919), vicar of Minster-in-Thanet (Kent), rural dean of Westbere and hon. Canon of Canterbury Cathedral, fourth son of George Molineux of Lewes (Sussex), banker, and had issue two daughters; died 23 April 1933; will proved 31 July 1933 (estate £13,364);(9) Constance Georgina Bell (1851-1940), born 7 April and baptised at Bishopsbourne, 25 May 1851; married, 30 July 1872 at Bishopsbourne, Maj-Gen. Frederick Thomas Whinyates (1833-1915) of Abbotsleigh, Bournemouth (Hants), but had no issue; died 18 December 1940; will proved 15 March 1941 (estate £17,486);(10) Herbert James Bell (1853-1918), born 16 August 1853; educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1871); solicitor; died unmarried, 14 September 1918 and was buried at Bishopsbourne; will proved 7 November 1918 (estate £31,918);(11) Gertrude Cecilia Bell (1858-1946), born 9 August and baptised at Bishopsbourne, 26 September 1858; married, 23 June 1885 at Bishopsbourne, Maj. Philip Francis Durham (1852-1932) of Wingfield, Highcliffe, Christchurch (Hants), eldest son of Patrick Francis Durham (1808-81) of Glanymor House, Aberystwyth (Cardigans.), and had issue one son and one daughter; died 24 January 1946; will proved 16 August 1946 (estate £6,074).
(1) Matthew Gerald Edward Bell (1871-1926) (q.v.);(2) Maude Cecilia Bell (1873-1920), born 26 October 1873; married, 5 January 1897 at St George, Hanover Sq., Westminster (Middx), Major-Gen. Sir Charles John Sackville-West KBE CMG CB (1870-1962), later 4th Baron Sackville (who m2, 30 January 1924, Anne (d. 1961), daughter of William Meredith of New York (USA) and widow of Stephen Sohier Bigelow of Boston (USA)), and had issue one son and one daughter; died in Paris (France), 7 December 1920; administration of her goods was granted 4 February 1921 and 7 November 1928 (estate £10,996);(3) Kathleen Bell (1877-1908), born 10 June and baptised at St Brelade (Jersey), 15 July 1877; died unmarried and was buried at Bishopsbourne, 13 August 1908; administration of her goods was granted November 1908 and 7 July 1911 (estate £4,254).
(1) Matthew Alexander Henry Bell (1908-59), born 25 August 1908; educated at Eton; lived at Old House Farm, Coolham (Sussex) and later in Canterbury (Kent); married, 21 April 1936 at Chelsea Old Church (Middx) (div. 1948), Dawn Elizabeth (1909-66) (who m2, 24 January 1949, Sydney Ernest Lodington Baddeley (1886-1971), youngest son of Col. Paul Frederick Michael Baddeley), daughter of Lt-Col. George McClintock of Eaton Terrace SW1, but had no issue; died 6 April 1959; will proved 1 February 1960 (estate £3,095).
Location of archives
Coat of arms
Can you help?
- Can anyone provide portraits of the people whose names appear in bold above, for whom no image is currently shown?
- If anyone can offer further information or corrections to any part of this article I should be most grateful. I am always particularly pleased to hear from current owners or the descendants of families associated with a property who can supply information from their own research or personal knowledge for inclusion.