The families considered here branch off from this senior line in the 16th century and eventually outstripped it in wealth and importance. Nicholas Ashe (1497-1552) of Sowton had four sons, of whom the eldest, Richard, inherited Sowton. The second son, Thomas Ashe (1529-82) married an Irish heiress and founded the Co. Meath branch of the family (see below) and also the Ash (later Beresford-Ash) family of Ashbrook. The third son, James Ashe (c.1535-1615?) moved north to Somerset where he seems to have established himself as a yeoman farmer. James' grandson, James Ashe (c.1575-1646) was probably the first of his family to involve himself in cloth manufacturing, and his sons established a successful international business in the early 17th century. Indeed, the eldest son, John Ashe (1597-1659), was accounted the greatest clothier of his time, employing workers all over north Somerset and north-west Wiltshire, and sending hundreds of rolls of cloth to London every week by the 1640s. His brothers, who were London-based merchants and drapers, arranged the sale of the product at home and abroad. John in particular became wealthy and bought up property in the Somerset and Wiltshire area on which to establish his eight sons. He also became a vocal opponent of the religious and tax policies of Charles I, and in the 1640s, one of the advocates of armed rebellion, although as events span out of control he became more moderate in his views. Had he lived to see the Restoration, it seems probable that John Ashe would have suffered a severe penalty even in the prevailing atmosphere of reconciliation, but he did not, and his wealth and property were divided among his numerous children. His youngest son, Joseph Ashe (b. 1645), who inherited his property in Co. Tipperary, had some difficulty in securing his title, but with the help of his uncle and namesake - the one member of the family to be a Royalist, who was made a baronet in 1660 for his services to the Crown - he was able to gain possession and to found the second Irish branch of the family, the Ashes of Ashgrove (Tipperary).
The younger brothers of John Ashe, Edward (1599-1656) and Samuel (c.1620-1708), also bought landed estates, at Heytesbury and Langley Burrell respectively. Edward was succeeded by his son William (1647-1713), who built a new house at Heytesbury in about 1700. William was succeeded by his son Edward (1673-1748), who lost a lot of money in the South Sea Bubble and was dependent on his income from public office, and when he died without issue the estate passed in quick succession to his nephew, William Ashe (1715-50) and then to the latter's nephew, Pierce A'Court. The A'Court (later Holmes A'Court) family, owned the estate until 1933, when it was sold to the poet, Siegfried Sassoon. Samuel Ashe was succeeded at Langley Burrell by his son, Joseph Ashe (1685-1725), whose descendants rebuilt the house in about 1760 and held the estate until 1998, when Dr. Bob Scott-Ashe (b. 1938), who had emigrated to Canada before he inherited in 1978, sold the house.
Reverting to the 17th century, the Royalist brother, Sir Joseph Ashe (c.1616-86), 1st bt., bought an estate at Twickenham (Middx), where he lived, and another at Wawne in the East Riding of Yorkshire. The Twickenham property, which included a Jacobean house called Twickenham Meadows (later Cambridge Park), passed at his death to his son, Sir James Ashe (1674-1733), 2nd bt., and then to his daughter and her husband, Joseph Windham-Ashe (1683-1746), who enlarged and refronted it in the 1740s; their daughter sold it in 1749. The Wawne estate passed to Sir Joseph's elder daughter, who carried it by her marriage to the Wyndhams of Felbrigg Hall (Norfolk).
Thomas Ashe (1529-82), who went to Ireland in the mid 16th century, inherited lands at Trim (Co. Meath) through his wife, and his son, Gen. Sir Thomas Ashe (1567-1626) was granted further lands there and in Co. Cavan. Sir Thomas, whose only child was a daughter, distributed his property between his younger relatives. His lands in Co. Meath fell to the share of his great-nephew, Nicholas Ashe (1608-65), and on his death passed to his cousin, William Ashe (d. 1682), who built a new house known as Ashfield. Ashfield passed in turn to William's son Richard Ashe (d. 1728), to his son, Joseph Ashe (b. 1707; fl. 1799), and to Joseph's two surviving sons, Sir Thomas Ashe (b. 1732) and Maj. William Ashe (c.1753-1839). The latter's son, William Wellesley Ashe (1800-60?) apparently inherited both moieties but was an absentee landlord, and the estate was sold after his death.
Jonathan Ashe (b. 1645) of Ashgrove (Tipperary), who inherited John Ashe's lands in Ireland, was reputedly an officer in King William's army in Ireland in the 1690s and received a further grant of land from the King on his retirement from the army, on which the house called Ashgrove is said to have been built. Ashgrove passed in turn to his son, Lovett Ashe (b. 1696), grandson, Maj. Lovett Ashe (c.1735-94), who was killed in action, and to his great-grandson, Trevor Lloyd Ashe (1759-1820). Trevor seems to have let Ashgrove and to have built a new and grander house called Castle Mary nearby. This passed to his nephews, the Catholic Rev. Trevor Lloyd Ashe (1796-1864) and Capt. Waller Ashe (d. c.1869), who were both non-resident. Waller Ashe seems to have sold his share to his cousin, but by 1840 Castle Mary was in decay and when the estate was sold in the Landed Estates Court in 1854 it was once more Ashgrove which was regarded as the residence on the estate. All trace of Castle Mary has now disappeared.
In addition to the families discussed here, there was a further family of Ashes in Ireland, based at Ashgrove (Co. Cork). It is probable that they were related, but I have been unable to establish how, so they are omitted for now.
Heytesbury Park, Wiltshire
|Heytesbury House in the early 20th century.|
The 1st and only Lord Hungerford of Heytesbury was building a new house at Heytesbury at the time of his execution in 1540, but the structure of the present house is substantially that of a two storey building of c.1700 built for William Ashe (d. 1713), which had a long facade to the south with nine dormer windows, and a belvedere or lantern in the centre. This is now represented by the present eleven bay, two-and-a-half storey ashlar south front built for Sir William Ashe-A'Court in 1782, which is severely plain apart from a central semicircular porch with Tuscan columns. The return wall to the east has a central full-height bow and is no doubt of 1782 as well.
|Heytesbury House: visibly dilapidated, before the 1996 fire|
On the north (entrance) front the house has two projecting wings, which are probably a legacy of the 1700 house although they too are wrapped in a plain neo-classical dress. The area between the wings was infilled about 1820 with a single-storey entrance hall with a Greek Doric portico in antis. Inside, the entrance hall has segmental arches of a Soanian kind which carry a ceiling with a glazed dome.
|Heytesbury House: dining room before the fire|
|Heytesbury House: drawing room before the fire|
|Heytesbury House: the entrance front following restoration after the fire.|
The poet Seigfried Sassoon (1886-1967) bought Heytesbury in 1933 and lived here for the rest of his life, but by the time he died the house was seriously neglected. His son, George Sassoon (1936-2006), worked hard to restore the house and also to resist the building of the A36 Heytesbury bypass through the park, but in 1996 the house was damaged by fire and he had to move out. The house was sold and converted into six large apartments, and it is not clear how far the Georgian decorative schemes have been preserved or recreated where they were fire-damaged, although there is still a cantilevered stone staircase with a wrought iron balustrade and mahogany handrail.
Descent: sold 1640 to Edward Ashe (c.1609-56); to son, William Ashe (1647-1713); to son, Edward Ashe (1673-1747); to nephew, William Ashe (1715-50); to cousin, Pierce A'Court (1707?-68); to brother, Gen. William A'Court (later A'Court-Ashe) (1708-81); to son, Sir William Pierce Ashe A'Court (c.1747-1817), 1st bt.; to son, Sir William A'Court (1779-1860), 2nd bt. and 1st Baron Heytesbury; to William Henry Ashe A'Court Holmes (1809-91); to William Frederick Holmes-A'Court (1862-1903); to brother, Leonard Holmes-A'Court (1863-1949) who sold 1933 to Siegfried Sassoon (1887-1967); to son, George Sassoon (1936-2006); sold 1996 after fire to Sabre Developments, who restored the house and converted it into apartments.
Twickenham Meadows alias Cambridge Park, Twickenham, Middlesex
|Cambridge Park: detail of an engraving of 1804 after a drawing by Landseer.|
Descent: Sir Humphrey Lynd (1579-1636); sold 1630 to Joyce, Countess of Totnes (1562-1637); sold 1638 to Sir Thomas Lawley (1586-1646), bt.; house (but not estate) sold 1657 to Sir Joseph Ashe (1617-86), 1st bt.; to son, Sir James Ashe (1674-1733), 2nd bt.; to daughter, Martha (1698-1749), wife of Joseph Windham (later Windham-Ashe) (1683-1746); to daughter, Mary (1718-89), wife of John Windham Bowyer (d. 1780), who sold 1749 to Valens Comyns; sold 1751 to Richard Owen Cambridge (1717-1802); to daughter, Charlotte Cambridge (d. 1823); to son, Ven. George Owen Cambridge (1756-1841); sold 1824 to 2nd Earl of Mount Edgcumbe (1764-1839), who leased the estate; sold 1832 to John Cam Hobhouse (1786-1869), who leased it; sold 1835 to Henry Bevan (d. 1860); to daughter, Lady Caroline Chichester; to grandson, Sir Edward John Dean Paul (d. 1895), 4th bt.; sold 1895 to Henry Creswell Foulkes, builder, who developed the land for housing; demolished 1937.
Langley House, Langley Burrell, Wiltshire
|Langley House: a Victorian photograph|
Nothing is known of the the property bought by Thomas Ashe in 1657, which was the predecessor of the present house, although its stables survive. The house itself was rebuilt as a handsome square, five-by-six bay, three storey house of mellow golden stone, for Rev. Robert Ashe (1718-74) in the mid 18th century. The house is traditionally dated c.1771 but there is no surviving documentary evidence to support this and a date a few years earlier, soon after Robert inherited the estate in 1758, seems more likely on both stylistic and genealogical grounds. On the entrance front the windows on each floor are evenly spaced but grouped in the centre of the facade, with an area of blank stonework to either side, while on the side elevation the six windows are evenly spaced across the facade. There is a lower service range attached to the north-east corner of the house.
|Langley Hall in 2014.|
Inside, the plan is somewhat unusual, as the house is designed around a disproportionately large drawing room (some 30 by 20 feet); as a result the hall is long and narrow and leads through a screen of two arches into a rather tight staircase hall, and a morning room, dining room and study are squeezed into the remaining corners of the house. By the mid 20th century the room functions had been altered and the large room was used as the dining room, with the panelled room being a study. The interior decoration is severely plain but has apparently been little altered, and still has the original moulded plaster cornices, panelling, and fielded panelled doors. The house remained in the Ashe family until 1998 when it was sold and subsequently restored by the new owners. The house was sold again more recently.
Descent: Henry White sold 1657 to Samuel Ashe (c.1620-1708); to son, Joseph Ashe (1685-1725); to son, Joseph Ashe (1711-58); to brother, Rev. Robert Ashe (1718-74); to son, Robert Ashe (1747-1829); to son, Rev. Robert Ashe (1781-1855); to son, Rev. Robert Martyn Ashe (1807-85); to daughter, Thermuthius Mary Ashe (1856-1935); to nephew, Maj. Charles Richard Leslie Scott (later Scott-Ashe) (1898-1978); to nephew, Robert Edward Arthur Scott-Ashe (b. 1939), who sold 1998.
Ashfield, Clonard, Meath
Very little is known about the house apparently built in the mid 17th century by William Ashe (d. 1682) which stood here. It was marked on Noble and Keenan's map of Kildare in 1752 which shows the important houses in the area, but the 1st edition 6" map shows that it was barely more than a farmhouse in the later 19th century. It was demolished about about fifty years ago and little now remains apart from a stable yard and some out buildings. There are a pair of carved limestone coats of arms which were originally set into the old house and are now cemented into new gate pillars.
Descent: built for William Ashe (d. 1682); to son, Richard Ashe (d. 1728); to son, Joseph Ashe (b. 1707; fl. 1799); to sons, Sir Thomas Ashe, kt. (b. 1732) and Maj. William Ashe (c.1753-1839); to their sons, Joseph Ashe (1777-1853) and William Wellesley Ashe (1800-60?); sold after the latter's death to the Herbert family, who were there until c.2000.
Ashgrove House, Bansha, Tipperary
|Ashgrove House: a lithograph from the sale particulars of 1854|
An L-shaped house of c.1820, no doubt built for Southwell Moore who took out a renewable lease for three lives from Trevor Lloyd Ashe in 1815. It has a three-bay two-storey west front, a hipped roof, and plate-glass sash windows of the later 19th century, and there is a lean-to extension in the angle between the two wings. The rather curious pyramid-roofed lodges or summerhouses visible in the engraving of 1854 above have since gone.
Descent: Jonathan Ashe (b. 1645); to son, Lovett Ashe (b. 1696); to son, Maj. Lovett Ashe (c.1735-94); to son, Trevor Lloyd Ashe (1759-1820), who let 1815 to Southwell Moore and later to John Henry Ashe; to son, Rev. Trevor Lloyd Ashe (1796-1864), who sold 1854 to Charles Moore of Mooresfort, who let from 1858 to Southwell Mulcahy and later to Samuel Holmes; to Count Arthur Moore, who leased to John Burnes, Michael Burnes, Margaret Burnes and later James Burnes, who bought the freehold in 1939.
Castle Mary, Bansha, Tipperary
The house (not to be confused with Castle Mary in Co. Cork) was described by Lewis in 1838 as "a castellated mansion in the Italian style of architecture" and was probably built in the late 18th century by Trevor Lloyd Ashe (1759-1820). According to a 20th century reminiscence, the house was built on a bed of sand which provided an unstable foundation, and started to collapse even before the owner had moved in. In 1840 the Ordnance Survey said it was "of modern construction but in very bad repair". By the 1890s it was marked on the OS 25" maps as 'in ruins' and nothing remains today.
Ashe family of Freshford, Heytesbury, Twickenham and Langley Burrell
Ashe, Nicholas (1497-1552). Son of John Ashe of Clyst Fornyson (Devon), born 1497. He married Joan/Joanna, daughter of Anthony Pollard of Harwood (Devon) and had issue:
(1) Richard Ashe (c.1527-91); inherited Clyst Forynson from his father; married Prudence Rudgeley (1540-91) and had issue two sons and three daughters; buried at Sowton (Devon), 12 September 1591.
(2) Thomas Ashe (1529-82) [for whom see below, under Ashe of Ashfield];
(3) Mary Ashe (fl. 1552);
(4) Elizabeth Ashe (fl. 1552); married Andrew Silvertop, who could be the man of this name from Camberwell (Surrey) who was fined for recusancy c.1580;
(5) James Ashe (c.1535-1615?) (q.v.);
(6) Anthony Ashe (b. c.1537); living in 1552 when he was a minor;
(7) Petronella Ashe (fl. 1552); married Henry Thackham.
He inherited Clyst Fornyson from his father.
He died in 1552 and his will was proved at Exeter, 8 June 1552. His wife's date of death is unknown.
Ashe, James (c.1535-1615?). Youngest son of Nicholas Ashe (1497-1552) of Clyst Fornyson and his wife Johanna, daughter of Anthony Pollard of Harwood (Devon), born about 1530. He married Anne, daughter of John Walrond esq. of Bovey (Devon) and had issue:
(1) John Ashe (fl. 1634);
(2) Humphrey Ashe (fl. 1620); married and had issue;
(3) Thomas Ashe;
(4) Catherine Ashe (d. 1626); married [forename unknown] Clifton of Yeovil (Somerset); will proved 20 October 1626;
(5) Joan Ashe (d. 1589); buried at South Petherton, 4 April 1589;
(6) Cicely Ashe (fl. 1620); married [forename unknown] Phelps and had issue.
He lived at South Petherton (Somerset).
He may be the James Aysshe of South Petherton whose will was proved 6 April 1615. His wife's date of death is unknown.
Ashe, John (b. c.1553; fl. 1634). Son of James Ashe (c.1535-1615?) and his wife Anne, daughter of John Walrond esq. of Bovey (Devon), born about 1553. He married Anne, daughter of Thomas Strode esq. of Huxton Mallet and had issue:
(1) James Ashe (c.1575-1646) (q.v.);
(2) Alice Ashe; married John Pitt (1566-1625) of Melcombe Regis (Dorset);
(3) Margaret Ashe; married John Mansel esq. of Weymouth (Dorset).
He lived at Westcombe in Batcombe (Somerset).
His date of death is unknown. His wife's date of death is unknown.
Ashe, James (c.1575-1646). Son of John Ashe (b. c.1553; fl. 1634) and his wife Anne, daughter of Thomas Strode esq. of Huxton Mallet, born about 1575. He married, 15 November 1596 at Melcombe Regis (Dorset), Grace (c.1579-1647), daughter of Richard Pitt esq. of Melcombe Regis (Dorset) and had issue:
(1) John Ashe (1597-1658) (q.v.);
(2) Edward Ashe (1599-1656) (q.v.);
(3) Anne Ashe (c.1602-76); married 8 July 1622 at St Dunstan in the East, London, James Man (d. 1670) of London and Battersea (Surrey), draper and had issue four sons and one daughter; will proved, 12 August 1676;
(4) Alice Ashe; married Edward Harris of London, mercer, son of Sir William Harris of Creeksea (Essex);
(5) Sir Joseph Ashe (c.1616-86), 1st bt. (q.v.);
(6) Jonathan Ashe (c.1618-65), born about 1618; cloth merchant in London; partner with his brother Edward in Edward & Jonathan Ashe & Co. from at least 1645-51, the period for which their accounts survive; Common Councillor of City of London for Aldgate ward, 1665; married, 12 January 1645 at Holy Trinity Minories, London, Rebecca (b. 1620) (who m2, 14 May 1667, John Baptist Bardon Puteill), daughter of Thomas Leaver of London, merchant, and had issue six daughters; will proved 11 July 1665;
(7) Samuel Ashe (c.1620-1708) (q.v.).
He lived at Westcombe in Batcombe (Somerset).
He died in 1646; his will was proved 6 May 1646. His widow survived him and was executor of his will, but died in about 1647.
(1) James Ashe (d. 1671) of Fyfield, Milton Lilbourne (Wilts); educated at Inner Temple (admitted 1645; called to bar 1652); an active Parliamentarian during the Civil War, he was MP for Bath, 1645-53 and for Wiltshire, 1654-56, and a member of the Sequestration Committee for Somerset; Recorder of Bath; married, 16 September 1652 at Kensington (Middx), Margery (c.1637-91?), daughter of Sir James Harrington, 3rd bt., of Swakeleys (Middx), and had issue three sons and two daughters; he died in 1671 and his will was proved 14 February 1672/3; a commemorative medal struck after his death records his age as 56 but this is unlikely to be correct;
(2) John Ashe (c.1625-72) of Teffont (Wilts) and Beckington (Somerset); married, 1644, Elizabeth Forsbrooke (1622-c.1690) of Teffont Evias (Wilts) and had issue one son; died 1672 aged about 47;
(3) Nathaniel Ashe (b. 1632), born 20 December 1632 at Freshford; probably died young;
(4) Edward Ashe (1635-61) of Freshford, baptised 25 October 1635 at Freshford; married Mary Chappell and had issue two daughters of whom one died in infancy; died 31 December 1661 and was buried at Freshford, where he was commemorated by a monument erected by his widow; his widow married 2nd, c.1663, Stephen Odiame of the Middle Temple, who with his wife, defrauded his surviving stepdaughter of her inheritance at Freshford, which she only recovered at law in 1687;
(5) Samuel Ashe (d. 1671) of Chalcot (Wilts); died without issue;
(6) Joseph Ashe (d. c.1687) of Longstreet (Wilts); Surveyor of the Navigation Acts, 1660-c.1687;
(7) Benjamin Ashe (c.1644-73) of Iford (Wilts); married, 18 August 1670 at Bath Abbey (Somerset), Elizabeth (1653-75), daughter of Edward Stokes, but had no issue; died 1673; will was proved 3 May 1673;
(8) Jonathan Ashe (b. 1645) [see below, under Ashe of Ashgrove];
(9) Anne Ashe (1623-94); married 1st, Nathaniel Barnard of Shepton Mallet (Somerset) and 2nd, 4 March 1662/3 at St Dionis Backchurch, London, John Parker (d. 1679) of Frenches, Reigate (Surrey), haberdasher in London, and had issue four sons; died 6 February 1693/4 aged 71; will proved 12 March 1693/4;
(10) Grace Ashe (d. 1676); married, before 1649, perhaps as his second wife, Paul Methuen (1613-67), clothier of Bradford-on-Avon (Wilts), who took over the business of his father-in-law, and had issue five sons and one daughter; died 1676;
(11) Hester Ashe (1640-82), baptised 15 October 1640 at Freshford; married, 14 May 1657 at Freshford, Samuel Creswicke (1622-83) of Moreton-in-Marsh (Glos) and had issue four sons and three daughters; died at Moreton-in-Marsh, 1682;
(12) Alice Ashe; married John Barnard esq. of Surrey;
(13) Mary Ashe (1637-1701); married, c.1660, as his second wife, Jacob Selfe (1621-1702/3) of Beanacre Manor (Wilts) and had issue two sons and one daughter; died 8 June 1701 and was buried at Melksham (Wilts);
(14) Sarah Ashe (d. 1662); married, 25 October 1649 at Holy Trinity the Less, London, Sir John Shaw (1615-79), 1st bt., of Eltham (Kent) and had issue; died December 1662 and was buried at St Mildred Bread St., London.
In 1627 he bought Freshford Mill and built a mansion called Freshford House adjacent to it. He built up a landed estate worth £6,000 a year which was distributed among his numerous children.
He was buried at Beckington, 26/28 February 1658/9; his will was proved 20 June 1659. His widow was buried at West Bradley, 7 March 1673/4.
Ashe, Edward (1599-1656). Second son of James Ashe (c.1575-c.1646) and his wife Grace, daughter of Richard Pitt esq. of Melcombe Regis (Dorset), born 1599. Apprenticed to the Draper's Company, 1616 and became a cloth merchant in Fenchurch St., London and a member of the Drapers Company, 1631-52 (warden, 1646-47). Partner with his brother Jonathan in Edward & Jonathan Ashe & Co., overseas merchants, from at least 1645-51 (the period for which their accounts survive). Alderman for Vintry Ward in the City of London, 1653-56. MP for Heytesbury (Wilts), 1640-46. He married 1st, 25 July 1627 at St Mary, Lambeth (Surrey), Elizabeth (d. 1638), daughter of Christopher Woodward, and 2nd, 11 March 1643 at St Matthew Friday Street, London, Elizabeth (d. 1698), daughter of William Jolliffe of Leek (Staffs) and widow of William Bowyer (d. 1636) of Knippersley (Staffs), and had issue:
(1.1) Katherine Ashe (1630-56?), baptised 2 February 1629/30 at St Michael Crooked Lane, London; married, 1649 at Holy Trinity the Less, London, Robert Wilson (1629-60) (who m2, Joan Parker), of Merton (Surrey), eldest son of Robert (or Rowland) Wilson, and had issue two sons; she was dead by 1656 and was perhaps the Katherine Wilson buried at Wandsworth (Surrey), 25 January 1655/6;
(1.2) Edward Ashe (1631-52), born 17 December and baptised 25 December 1631 at St Michael Crooked Lane, London; educated at Merchant Taylors School, Inner Temple (admitted 1649) and Lincoln College, Oxford (matriculated 1650); died unmarried, 1652; administration of goods granted 1652;
(1.3) James Ashe (b. 1634), baptised 10 June 1634; educated at Merchant Taylors School; apprenticed to a draper, 1649; probably died before 1656 as he is not mentioned in his father's will;
(2.1) Elizabeth Ashe (1645-86); married, before 1673, Thomas Foley (c.1641-1701) of Witley (Worcs) MP, and had issue four sons and four daughters; died 6 January 1686;
(2.2) William Ashe (1647-1713) (q.v.);
(2.3) John Ashe (1649-59), baptised 18 October 1649 at All Hallows Staining, London; died young and was buried 18 January 1658/9 in the chancel at All Hallows Staining;
(2.4) Anne Ashe (b. 1652), baptised 7 December 1652 at All Hallows Staining, London; married 1st, 25 June 1670 at Hackney (Middx), Edward Ernle (1649-75), son of Sir Walter Ernle, bt. of Ashlington (Wilts), but had no issue; married 2nd, 1 February 1675/6, Roger Yates of West Grimstead (Wilts);
(2.5) Edward Ashe (1654-1731), baptised 4 May 1654; under his father's will inherited £5,000 and the premises from which he had traded as a draper, but seems never to have been in trade; lived in London; MP for Heytesbury, 1679-88; Captain in 1st Marine Regiment, 1690-96; Comptroller of Customs at Plymouth, 1698-1731; married Katherine [surname unknown] and had issue one son; died at The Friary, St James', London, 7 December 1731;
He acquired the manor of Halstead (Kent) and bought the manor of Heytesbury in 1640. At his death Halstead passed to his younger brother, Sir Joseph Ashe, 1st bt. and Heytesbury to his son, William.
He was buried 29 July 1656 in the chancel of All Hallows Staining, London; by his will, proved 17 November 1656, he left an annual bequest to the poor of All Hallows Staining, London and Halstead (Kent). His first wife was buried in the chancel of St Michael Crooked Lane, London, 26 July 1638. His widow died 24 June 1698; her will was proved 7 January 1698/9.
Ashe, William (1647-1713). Only son of Edward Ashe (c.1609-56) and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Christopher Woodward, born 17 November and baptised 2 December 1647 at All Hallows Staining, London. Educated at St. Edmund Hall (matriculated 1664) and the Inner Temple (resident in 1668 but presumably not the William Ashe admitted in 1652 and called to the bar in 1653 when he would have been 6 years of age!). Captain in the Marquess of Worcester's regiment of foot, 1673-74. MP for Heytesbury, 1668-81, 1685-87, 1689-1701, and for Wiltshire, 1701-02. Assessment Commissioner for Wiltshire, 1673-77 and for Wiltshire and Kent 1677-80, 1689-90; JP for Wiltshire 1689-1713 and DL 1701-13. He suffered for many years from gout. He married 1st, 27 June 1670 at Chilton Foliat (Wilts), Anne (c.1648-84), daughter of Alexander Popham MP of Littlecote (Wilts), and 2nd, 5 April 1695 at St Marylebone (Middx), Mary (d. 1721), daughter of John Rivett, skinner, of London and Beeston (Suffk) and widow of Sir Henry Appleton, 4th bt. of Jarvis Hall, South Benfleet (Essex), and had issue:
(1.1) Edward Ashe (1673-1748) (q.v.);
(1.2) William Ashe (1675-1742) (q.v.);
(1.3) Alexander Ashe (b. 1677), baptised 29 September 1677; educated at Christ Church, Oxford (matriculated 1693; BA 1697; MA 1701); Fellow of Oriel College. Oxford, 1700; died unmarried, probably before 1713 as he is not named in his father's will;
(1.4) Letitia Ashe (1679-1742), baptised 5 February 1679/80; married Thomas Penruddock of Compton Chamberlayne (Wilts), son of Col. John Penruddock, leader of the 1655 insurrection against Oliver Cromwell, and had issue two sons; died 28 February 1742;
(1.5) John Ashe (1681-82), baptised 1 January 1681/2; died in infancy, 21 August 1682;
(1.6) Elizabeth Ashe (1682-1768); married, 27 November 1705, Pierce A'Court (c.1677-1725) of Ivychurch, and had issue five sons and one daughter, from whom descend the Holmes-A'Court family of Heytesbury who will be the subject of a future post; died 6 September 1768, aged 86.
He inherited the Heytesbury estate (Wilts) from his father in 1656 and built a new house there c.1700. He also inherited his father's lands at Adderbury (Oxon) and in Ireland and his chamber in the Inner Temple.
He died of dropsy, 22 October and was buried at Heytesbury, 29 October 1713; his will was proved 3 March 1713/4. His first wife died 20 April 1684 aged 35 and was buried at Heytesbury where she is commemorated by a monument. His widow died in 1721.
|Edward Ashe 1673-1748|
He inherited the Heytesbury estate from his father in 1713. At his death it passed to his nephew, William Ashe (1715-50) and then to his nephew A'Court.
He died 22 May 1748 and was buried at Heytesbury; will proved 23 June 1748. His wife died 30 March and was buried 6 April 1743 at Heytesbury.
Ashe, William (1675-1742). Younger son of William Ashe (1647-1713) and his first wife, Anne, daughter of Alexander Popham of Littlecote (Wilts), baptised 18 February 1675. London merchant; MP for Heytesbury, 1708-13, 1715-22. He married, 1710, Jane Allen (d. 1749), and had issue:
(1) William Ashe (1715-50), born 1715; educated at Inner Temple (admitted 1732) and Wadham College, Oxford (matriculated 1734); MP for Heytesbury, 1747-50; married, 3 February 1749, Lady Catherine Powlett (d. 1774) (who m2, 6 February 1755, Adam Drummond, 11th Baron of Lennoch and 4th Baron of Megginch), daughter of 4th Duke of Bolton, but had no issue; died 11 August and was buried at Heytesbury 20 August 1750;
(2) Bridget Ashe (d. 1776); owned an estate at Mixon Hay in Biddulph (Staffs); died unmarried at Eastwick (Herts), November 1776.
He lived at Eastwick (Herts)
He was buried 29 September 1742 at Eastwick (Herts). His widow was buried at Eastwick, 23 April 1749.
|Sir Joseph Ashe, 1st bt.|
(1) Catherine Ashe (1652-1729), baptised 2 March 1651/2 at St Bartholomew Exchange, London; married, 19 June 1669 at Twickenham, William Wyndham (1647-89) of Felbrigg (Norfk) and had issue eight sons and three daughters; died 24 December 1729;
(2) Mary Ashe (1653-85), baptised 22 March 1652/3; married, 24 November 1673 at Twickenham, as his second wife, Horatio Townshend (1630-87), 1st Viscount Townshend, of Raynham Hall (Norfk), and had issue three sons; died 17 December 1685 and was buried at Raynham;
(3) Joseph Ashe (1654-86), baptised 17 August 1654 at St Bartholomew Exchange, London; died in the lifetime of his father; unmarried when he was killed at the (militia?) camp on Hounslow Heath (Middx), 1 August 1686;
(4) Anne Ashe (b. 1656; fl. 1714), born 21 January and baptised 5 February 1655/6 at St Bartholomew Exchange, London; unmarried in 1685 and probably in 1714; said to have married a "Lord Fairfax" but no record of such a marriage has been found;
(5) Martha Ashe (1658-1714), baptised 14 May 1658 at Twickenham; died unmarried and was buried 1 August 1714 at Twickenham; will proved 3 August 1714;
(6) Grace Ashe (d. 1665); died young of the plague, and was buried 12 June 1665 at Twickenham;
(7) Elizabeth Ashe (1664-69), baptised 24 June 1664; died young and was buried 9 March 1668/9 at Twickenham;
He lived at Twickenham Meadows, Twickenham (Middx) [later called Cambridge Park] and also built up an estate at Wawne (Yorks ER) which passed to his eldest daughter. He inherited the Halstead estate in Kent from his elder brother in 1656.
He died 15 April and was buried at Twickenham, 21 April 1686, where he was commemorated by a monument. His will was proved 21 April 1686. His widow died 27 November and was buried at Twickenham, 8 December 1705; her will was proved 4 January 1705/6.
Ashe, Sir James (1674-1733), 2nd bt. Second but only surviving son of Sir Joseph Ashe (d. 1686), 1st bt. and his wife Mary, daughter of Robert Wilson esq. of London, baptised at Twickenham, 27 July 1674. He succeeded his father as 2nd baronet, 15 April 1686. Although his mother regarded him as 'a very feeble son', in 1695 when he came of age she supported his candidacy for Parliament at Downton (Wilts) where she had a significant interest, but partly through the duplicity of the family's agent there he was not elected. Despite a rift with his mother over his marriage, he again stood in 1698 and again failed to be elected, as his mother supported another candidate. He did not contest either of the two succeeding general elections, but was finally successful at a bye-election in November 1701 and was MP for Downton, 1701-05. High Sheriff of Wiltshire, 1706-07. After his separation from his wife he appears to have declined public office. He married, after June 1697 (sep. 1707 as a result of his infidelity) and against his mother's wishes, his cousin, Catherine (1679-1717), daughter and co-heir of Sir Edmund Bowyer, kt. of Camberwell (Surrey), and had issue:
(1) Martha Ashe (1698-1749) (q.v.);
(2) Catherine Ashe (1699-1705), baptised 1 December 1699; died young and was buried 15 February 1704/5 at Twickenham;
(3) Joseph Ashe (1702-03), baptised 2 January 1702/3 at St Andrew, Holborn (Middx); died in infancy in the lifetime of his father and was buried 10 January 1702/3 at Twickenham;
(4) Mary Ashe (1705-06), baptised 6 May 1705 at St Andrew, Holborn; died in infancy and was buried 14 July 1706 at Twickenham;
(5) Frances Ashe (1706-07), baptised 16 November 1706 at St Andrew, Holborn; died in infancy and was buried 14 July 1707 at Twickenham.
He inherited Twickenham Meadows and the Halstead estate from his father in 1686, and seems to have built a new house (known as Halstead Court or Court Lodge) on the latter property, c.1710.
He died at Twickenham, 8 November 1733, when the baronetcy became extinct, and was buried at Halstead (Kent), where he was commemorated by a monument designed by Jonathan Barker; administration of his goods was granted 22 November 1733 to his daughter Martha. His estranged wife died, of St Anthony's Fire (erysipelas), May 1717 and was buried 5 June 1717 at Camberwell; administration of her goods was granted to her sister.
Ashe, Martha (1698-1749). Only surviving child of Sir James Ashe (1674-1733), 2nd bt., and his wife Catherine, daughter and co-heir of Sir Edmund Bowyer, kt., of Camberwell (Surrey), baptised 5 January 1698/9. After her parents' separation she was brought up by her father's sister, Katherine Windham, and she married, 28 June 1715, her cousin, Joseph Wyndham or Windham (later Windham-Ashe) (1683-1746), MP for Downton 1734-41, 1742-46, and had issue:
(1) Mary Windham-Ashe (1718-89), baptised 26 February 1717/8 at St Michael Cornhill, London; married, 3 September 1734 at Twickenham, her cousin John Windham (later Windham-Bowyer) (d. 1780) and had issue one son and one daughter; buried 22 May 1789.
She inherited Twickenham Meadows from her father in 1733 and she and her husband enlarged the house in the 1740s.
She was buried 11 September 1749 and her will was proved 27 September 1749. Her husband died 30 July 1746.
|Samuel Ashe (c.1620-1708)|
Image: Dr. Scott-Ashe
(1) Martha Ashe (b. 1661), baptised 25 July 1661; married, 23 September 1680 at Langley Burrell, Lionel Duckett (1652-93) of Hartham Park, Corsham (Wilts) and had issue six sons (of whom three died young); she may have been the Martha Duckett who married, 20 March 1700 at Thatcham (Berks), Robert Webb;
(2) Anne Ashe (1664-65), baptised 1 February 1663/4; died in infancy and was buried 5 February 1664/5 at Langley Burrell;
(2) Anne Ashe (b. 1665), baptised 11 August 1665 at Langley Burrell; married, as his first wife, Henry Goldney (b. 1665) of Chippenham (Wilts) (who m2, 1713, Elizabeth, daughter of George Speke of Hazlebury (Wilts) and had issue); died before 1713;
(3) James Ashe (1666-1704), baptised 11 October 1666 at Langley Burrell; educated at Inner Temple (admitted 1683); married, 29 April 1703 at Grays Inn Chapel, Playdell Tomlinson (b. 1682) (who m2, April/May 1719, John Mills (d. by 1727)) and had issue one daughter; buried at Langley Burrell (Wilts), 20 February 1704;
(4) Mary Ashe (1670-95), baptised 12 May 1670; married, 16 July 1694 at Langley Burrell, Nicholas Rayner, mercer, of Covent Garden; died without issue and was buried 13 June 1695 at Langley Burrell;
(5) Elizabeth Ashe (1671-72), baptised 3 October 1671; died in infancy and was buried 10 June 1672 at Langley Burrell;
(7) Samuel Ashe (b. 1673), baptised 27 January 1672/3; probably died young;
(6) Elizabeth Ashe (1674-76), baptised 18 December 1674; died in infancy and was buried 4 February 1675/6 at Langley Burrell;
(8) Joseph Ashe (1685-1725) (q.v.).
He was described as 'of Stoford (Wilts)' in 1646. He acquired the Langley House estate at Langley Burrell (Wilts) in 1657.
He died 'very aged', 4 November and was buried at Langley Burrell, 8 November 1708; his will was proved 18 November 1708. His widow was buried at Langley Burrell, 8 April 1709.
|Joseph Ashe (1685-1725)|
Image: Dr. Scott-Ashe.
(1) Joseph Ashe (1711-58), baptised at St Clement Danes, London, 19 January 1711/12; educated at Inner Temple (admitted 1726); inherited the Langley Burrell estate from his father in 1725 and came of age in 1732; married, 19 May 1740 at Preston Deanery (Northants), Frances Samwell (d. 1762), who lived in widowhood at Milton Malsor (Northants); buried at Langley Burrell, 13 June 1758;
(2) Ann Ashe (d. 1793); died unmarried at St Pancras (Middx), 27 December 1793; will proved 4 January 1794; a further grant of administration was made of the effects unadministered, 1863;
(3) Rev. Robert Ashe (1718-74) (q.v.);
(4) John Ashe (1719-81), baptised 21 November 1719; attorney; lived at Arundell St., Westminster and was lessee of the great tithes of Heston (Middx); married, 8 May 1747 at St Gregory by St. Paul, London, Mary Selby (d. 1797?), widow and had issue three sons (John, Joseph (1749-1822), and Rev. Samuel (1753-1807)); paid his nephew Robert £500 to build a new parsonage at Langley Burrell for his son Samuel who was rector there, 1777-1807; died 1781 and was buried at Heston (Middx); will proved 26 January 1781; his widow was living in 1790 and may have been the Mary Ashe buried at Twickenham (Middx), 23 October 1797;
(5) Matilda Ashe (1721-1807), baptised 11 June 1721 at Langley Burrell; married, 14 August 1755, Edward Hodsoll (1720-94) of St Mary Cray (Kent) and had issue one son and one daughter; died 14 July 1807 and was buried at St Mary Cray;
(6) Emma Ashe (b. 1722), baptised 30 August 1722 at Langley Burrell; probably died young as she is not mentioned in her mother's will;
(7) Elizabeth Ashe (b. 1723), baptised 4 November 1723 at Langley Burrell; living in 1743.
He inherited the Langley Burrell estate from his father in 1708, but lived mainly in Kensington.
He died in Kensington, 8 October 1725; administration of his goods was granted to his widow. His widow was buried 25 January 1749/50; her will was proved 26 January 1749/50.
Ashe, Rev. Robert (1718-74). Elder son of Joseph Ashe (1685-1725) and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Sir John James of Heston (Middx), baptised 7 August 1718 at Langley Burrell. Educated at Charterhouse and Worcester College, Oxford (matriculated 1738; BA 1741/2). Rector of Langley Burrell, 1744-74. He married, c.1746, Sarah Knapp (1719-72) and had issue:
(1) Robert Ashe (1747-1829) (q.v.);
(2) Elizabeth Ashe (1748-1834), baptised 25 November 1748; married, 27 March 1775, Rev. Samuel Smith (1751-1823), rector of Hardenhuish and Stanton St. Quintin (Wilts) and had issue two sons and one daughter; died in Bath (Somerset), 1 April 1834;
(3) Anne Ashe (1750-80), baptised 17 May 1750; married, 6/7 March 1776 at Langley Burrell, Matthew Humphries (1734-1810) and had issue two sons; died 15 June 1780.
He inherited the Langley Burrell estate from his elder brother in 1758 and built a new house on the estate c.1758-70.
He died 4 January 1774; his will was proved 11 February 1774. His wife died 10 October and was buried 15 October 1772.
|Robert Ashe (1747-1829)|
Image: Dr. Scott-Ashe
(1) Thermuthis Ashe (1778-1825), baptised 2 June 1778; married, 16 April 1807, Walter Coleman (1778-1845) of Kington Langley (Wilts) and had issue two daughters; died 7 April 1825;
(2) Rev. Robert Ashe (1781-1855) (q.v.);
(3) Martin Smith Ashe (b. & d. 1790), baptised 4 February 1790; died in infancy and was buried at Langley Burrell, 3 May 1790.
He inherited the Langley Burrell estate from his father in 1774.
He died 9 December and was buried at Langley Burrell, 14 December 1829. His wife died 21 December and was buried at Langley Burrell, 27 December 1823.
|Rev. Robert Ashe (1781-1855)|
(1.1) Thermuthis Mary Ashe (1804-36), born 21 June 1804 and baptised 27 February 1805; died unmarried, 16 May and was buried at Langley Burrell, 20 May 1836;
(1.2) Emily Ashe (1805-87), born 8 November 1805 and baptised 8 February 1807; died unmarried at Torre Pollici near Turin (Italy), 5 May 1887;
(1.3) Rev. Robert Martyn Ashe (1807-85) (q.v.);
(1.4) Rev. Edward Ashe (1809-39), born 20 August and baptised 23 September 1809; educated at Balliol College, Oxford (matriculated 1825; BA 1830; MA 1832); ordained deacon, 1831 and priest, 1832; rector of Harnhill and vicar of Driffield (Glos), 1833-39; died unmarried at Madeira, 14 October 1839.
He inherited the Langley Burrell estate from his father in 1829.
He died 12 February and was buried at Langley Burrell, 17 February 1855; his will was proved 5 March 1855. His first wife died 4 April and was buried at Langley Burrell, 10 April 1811. His second wife died 25 August and was buried at Langley Burrell, 30 August 1829. His third wife died 7 July and was buried at Langley Burrell, 13 July 1849.
|Rev. Robert Martyn Ashe (1807-85)|
(1) Robert Ashe (1853-55), born 26 October and baptised 27 November 1853; died in infancy, 11 June and was buried at Langley Burrell, 13 June 1855;
|Thermuthis Mary Ashe|
(3) twin, Emily Ashe (1857-1926) (q.v.);
(4) twin, Henrietta Mary Ashe (b. 1857), born 30 November 1857 and baptised 27 December 1857; died unmarried after 1881;
(5) Lucy Ashe (1859-1949), born 6 September and baptised 23 October 1859; died unmarried, 9 January 1949; will proved 28 September 1949 (estate £207).
He inherited the Langley Burrell estate from his father in 1855.
He died 18 January and was buried at Langley Burrell, 24 January 1885; his will was proved 4 March 1885 (effects £11,911). His wife died on 17 December 1884 and was buried at Langley Burrell, 22 December 1884.
Ashe, Emily (1857-1926). Second daughter of Rev. Robert Martyn Ashe (1807-85) and his wife Letitia, daughter of Capt. Arthur Daly, born 30 November and baptised 27 December 1857. She married, 25 August 1891, Edward Lucas Montgomery Scott (1862-1931) of Cryalls, Matfield (Kent), son of Maj-Gen. Theophilus Leslie Scott and had issue:
(1) Gladys Letitia Julia Scott (1892-1954), born Jul-Sep 1892; died unmarried, 26 June 1954; will proved 4 August 1954 (estate £9,970);
(2) Robert Edward Leslie Scott (1897-1918); educated at Tonbridge School; Lieutenant in the Royal Garrison Artillery during WW1 (MC and bar); unmarried; killed in action, 13 September 1918 and was buried at Lebucquiere Communal Cemetery;
(3) Maj. Charles Richard Leslie Scott (later Scott-Ashe) (1898-1978), born 12 August 1898; an officer in the Royal Marines, 1917-46 (Capt., 1928; Major, 1941); inherited the Langley Burrell estate from his aunt in 1935 and took the additional surname of Ashe; died unmarried, 23 February 1978 and was buried at Langley Burrell; will proved 7 June 1978 (estate £486,353);
(4) Arthur Lucas Noel Scott (later Scott-Ashe) (1899-1988) (q.v.).
She died 21 February 1926; administration of her goods was granted 21 June 1926 (effects £493). Her husband died 1 December 1931; will proved 21 January 1932 (estate £4,225).
Scott (later Scott-Ashe), Arthur Lucas Noel (1899-1988). Youngest son of Edward Lucas Montgomery Scott (1862-1931) and his wife Emily, daughter of Rev. Robert Martyn Ashe, born at Tunbridge Wells (Kent), 21 December 1899 and was baptised 11 March 1900. Served as 2nd Lt. in Royal Marines, 1919. Working as a dairyman, 1931. He married, Oct-Dec 1935, Eileen Gertrude Lee (1915-2004) and had issue:
(1) Dr. Robert Edward Arthur Scott-Ashe (b. 1939), born August 1939; emigrated to Canada, 1959; educated at Dalhousie University, Nova Scotia (MD 1969); practised as a doctor in Fort Langley, British Columbia; married Beverley Ann Rhindress and had issue two sons and one daughter; inherited the Langley Burrell estate from his uncle and took the additional surname of Ashe, but sold the estate in 1998;
(2) Martyn Charles Lucas Scott (b. 1941); took over the management of the Langley Burrell estate farm on the retirement of his father; married, 1968, Colette Cadoré and had issue two sons;
(3) Lucy Jane Scott-Ashe (b. 1949), born Oct-Dec 1949; headteacher in London and Bath; took the additional surname of Ashe prior to her marriage; married, 4 July 1992 at Langley Burrell, as his second wife, Antony Lawford Shield (b. 1947).
He lived at Langley Burrell with his brother, Maj. Charles Scott (later Scott-Ashe), and continued to do so after his son inherited the estate.
He died 20 February 1988 and was buried at Langley Burrell; his will was proved 17 May 1988 (estate £16,723). His widow died 30 November 2004 and was also buried at Langley Burrell; her will was proved 10 February 2005.
Ashe family of Ashfield
Ashe, Thomas (1529-82). Second son of Nicholas Ashe of Clyst Fornyson (Devon) and his wife Joan/Joanna, daughter of Anthony Pollard of Harwood (Devon), born at Bucknell (Oxon), 1529. After his marriage, he moved to Ireland in the mid 16th century. He married, after 1558, Mary (d. 1629), daughter of Nicholas Bailey of St. John's Abbey (Meath) and had issue including:
(1) Gen. Sir Thomas Ashe (1567-1626) (q.v.);
(2) Nicholas Ashe (b. c.1570) of Newtown (Meath) (q.v.);
(3) John Ashe (d. 1636); received from his eldest brother the St John's Abbey estate and Talbot's Castle (Meath), Moyvalley and Dromshill (Cavan); married Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Casey of Chester and had issue one son and two daughters; died 29 April 1636 and was buried at Trim (Meath);
(4) Josias Ashe (b. c.1580); married Mary Hogan and had issue three sons and two daughters, from whom descend the Ash (later Beresford-Ash) family of Ashbrook.
He settled at St John's Abbey (Meath) in the reign of Queen Elizabeth.
He died in 1582, aged 53. His widow died in 1629.
Ashe, Gen. Sir Thomas (1567-1626). Eldest son of Thomas Ashe (1529-82), born 1567. He was knighted at Dublin Castle, 25 July 1603, as a reward for his part in suppressing the revolt of the Irish earls; MP for Trim (Meath). He married Elizabeth [surname unknown] (d. 1632) and had issue*:
* Some sources say he died without issue.
(2) Richard Ashe (fl. 1700) of Moyderry (Meath); married and had issue one son.
* The Clergy of Meath, 2009, p.303 mistakenly identifies him as the son of the Rt. Rev. St. George Ashe (d. 1718), bishop of Clogher, and gives his date of birth as 1698.
Ashe family of Ashgrove (Tipperary)
Ashe, Jonathan (b. 1645). Youngest son of John Ashe (1597-1658) of Freshford [for whom see above] and his wife Elizabeth Davison, baptised 2 October 1645 at All Hallows Staining, London. Educated at Lincoln and Oriel Colleges, Oxford (matriculated 1661; BA 1666; MA 1668) and Inner Temple (admitted 1664). He settled in Ireland on the estate granted to him by his father. He married, 19 September 1695 at St John, Dublin, Rebecca, daughter of Christopher Lovett of Liscombe (Bucks), Lord Mayor of Dublin, and had issue:
(1) Sarah Ashe; married, 29 October 1718 at St Andrew, Dublin, her cousin, Robert Lovett of Liscombe (Bucks) and Kingswell (Tipperary) and had issue three sons and three daughters;
(2) Maj. Lovett Ashe (b. 1696) (q.v.);
(3) James Ashe (b. 1698), born in Dublin, 1798; educated at Trinity College, Dublin (admitted 1717); perhaps died unmarried;
(4) Capt. Jonathan Ashe (d. 1750), of Ashville; married and had issue;
(5) Elizabeth Ashe (probably of this generation); married William Russell;
His father granted him a large portion of the barony of Clanwilliam (Tipperary). He is said also have been the recipient of a grant of land from King William III on which Ashgrove was built.
His date of death is unknown.
Ashe, Lovett (b. 1696). Eldest son of Jonathan Ashe (b. 1645) and his wife Rebecca, daughter of Christopher Lovett of Liscombe (Bucks) and Dublin, born 3 July and baptised at St John Dublin, 4 July 1696. He married and had issue:
(1) Maj. Lovett Ashe (c.1735-94).
He inherited the Ashgrove estate from his father.
His date of death is unknown.
Ashe, Maj. Lovett (c.1735-94). Son of Lovett Ashe (b. 1696), born about 1735. An officer in the 63rd Regiment, he took part in the American and French wars (Lt., 1776; Capt. by 1782; Maj. 1794). He married, 1756 (settlement 28 August), Waller (1734-1824), daughter of Trevor Lloyd of Gloster (Offaly), and had issue:
(1) Capt. Trevor Lloyd Ashe (1759-1820) (q.v.);
(2) Henrietta Ashe (fl. 1798); married Lt-Col. John Dormer Alcock (d. 1797) of 47th Foot, and had issue two sons and one daughter;
(3) Arabella Ashe (d. 1807); married, 1791, her cousin, Capt. Henry Ashe (d. 1833) of 16th Regiment and later Adjutant of Wiltshire militia, son of Capt. Jonathan Ashe of Asheville, and had issue two sons, the Rev. Trevor Lloyd Ashe (1796-1864) and Capt. Waller Ashe (d. 1869) (qqv.), who jointly inherited Ashgrove in 1820; died 1807; her widower married 2nd, 29 November 1808 at Bath Abbey, Elizabeth Springett (b. 1769), daughter of Rev. John Williams of Abergavenny and had further issue three sons and one daughter;
(4) Rose Ashe; perhaps the person of this name who married, 1796 in Co. Cork, William Ferrall.
He inherited the Ashgrove estate from his father.
He was killed in action, December 1794, on the Rhine, and was buried at St Bartholomew the Great, London, 15 January 1795, when his age was mistakenly given as 44. His widow died in Dublin, 4 March 1824 and was buried at Donnybrook (Dublin).
Ashe, Trevor Lloyd (1759-1820). Only son of Maj. Lovett Ashe (c.1735-94) and his wife Waller, daughter of Trevor Lloyd of Gloster (Offaly), born 1759. Educated at Trinity College, Dublin (admitted 1774), Trinity College, Cambridge (admitted 1777; matriculated 1780; BA 1781; MA 1784) and Lincolns Inn (admitted 1790). In 1785 he was joint manager of a charity performance by Limerick Theatrical Society, and he was later described as "a skilled instrumentalist, who appeared at the Fishamble Street Theatre, Dublin, and elsewhere on the Irish stage". One source describes him as a Captain in the Grenadier Guards. He was apparently unmarried and without issue.
He inherited the Ashgrove estate from his father in 1794 and was probably responsible for building a new house, Castle Mary, on the estate. At his death he left the estate to his nephews, Rev. Trevor Lloyd Ashe and Capt. Waller Ashe.
He died in December 1820.
Ashe, Rev. Trevor Lloyd (1796-1864). Elder son of Capt. Henry Ashe (d. 1833) and his wife Arabella, daughter of Maj. Lovett Ashe of Ashgrove, baptised 16 May 1796 at St Swithin, Walcot, Bath (Somerset). Educated at Alban Hall, Oxford (matriculated 1815) and Oscott College (admitted 1821); ordained a priest in the Roman Catholic church although the anxiety of managing an incumbered estate, together with injuries sustained in a serious accident left him 'unable to devote himself to the duties of the priesthood'. In 1842 he took the pledge as a teetotaller, and in 1844 he published a book, The Attorney or The Contrast, which promoted teetotalism and linked this with a narrative of his legal fight to recover funds under his mother's marriage settlement from his father and his solicitor. By 1854 he was apparently bankrupt, and his estate was sold. He was unmarried and without issue.
He inherited a share in the Ashgrove/Castle Mary estate from his uncle, Trevor Lloyd Ashe (1759-1820), and seems to have acquired the other moiety from his cousin, Capt. Waller Ashe. The estate was sold in the Incumbered Estates Court in 1854 and realised £41,575.
He died at Booleen Cottage (Tipperary), 11 December 1864; his will was proved at Waterford in 1866 (effects under £3,000).
Ashe, Capt. Waller (d. c.1869). Younger son of Capt. Henry Ashe (d. 1833) and his wife Arabella, daughter of Maj. Lovett Ashe of Ashgrove, born about 1800. An officer in the 16th Regiment (Capt.); while on half-pay he served as a volunteer under Sir de Lacy Evans at the siege of Oporto during the Civil War in Portugal and was mentioned in despatches for conspicuous gallantry. He married, 23 January 1829 at Tipperary, Ellen Lucinda, daughter of Cornelius Manning and had issue:
(1) Waller Lovett Ashe (b. 1829), born 17 December 1829 and baptised 1 January 1830 at St Peter, Dublin; probably died young;
(2) Maj. Waller Ashe (1835-c.1888), born 21 January 1835; an officer in the 85th Foot and from 1860 the 1st Dragoon Guards (Ensign, 1853; Lieutenant, 1854; Captain, 1858; retired 1869); author of The military institutions of France, A story of the Zulu War, 1880 and Personal records of the Kandahar Campaign, 1882 (for which he was threatened with a libel action) and other works; bankrupted and imprisoned for debt, 1869, but the bankruptcy order annulled, 1870; Deputy Governor of Perth Gaol, 1876; Major in the Perthshire Rifle Volunteers, 1876-77; estate sequestered, November 1876 and after failing to appear for a bankruptcy hearing he was arrested and imprisoned on a charge of making away with his sequestered effects, January 1877, but the sequestration order was recalled, February 1877 (implying he had paid his debts); freeman of the City of London, 1886, when he was renting Langley Burrell House; married, 7 March 1863 at Calcutta Cathedral (India), Janet Hume (1841-75), eldest daughter of Alexander Sibbald Sawers of Dunbar (East Lothian), and had issue two sons and two daughters; he died in about 1888.
He inherited a share in the Ashgrove/Castle Mary estate from his uncle, Trevor Lloyd Ashe (1759-1820), but appears to have sold it to his cousin, Rev. Trevor Lloyd Ashe. In 1841 he was living in lodgings in Queen Square, Bristol.
He died about 1869. His wife's date of death is unknown.
Burke's Extinct & Dormant Baronetcies, 2nd edn., 1841, pp. 15-16; Burke's Landed Gentry, 1850, p.28; T. Ashe, Memoirs and confessions of Capt. Ashe, 1815; June Badeni [Countess Badeni], Wiltshire forefathers, n.d. [c.1965], 96-99; Sir N. Pevsner & B. Cherry, The buildings of England: Wiltshire, 2nd edn., 1975, pp. 267, 292; C. Casey & A. Rowan, The buildings of Ireland: North Leinster, 1993, p. 343; M.C. Lyons, Illustrated Incumbered Estates in Ireland 1850-1905, 1993, pp. 98-99; www.ashefamily.info/.
Location of archives
Ashe family of Langley Burrell: deeds, estate and family papers, 16th-19th cents, including family memorandum book of Rev. Samuel Ashe, 1785-88 [Wiltshire & Swindon Archives, 118, 568, 3623]
Ashe, Edward & Jonathan, & Co., overseas merchants: accounts, 1645-51 [The National Archives, C107/20]
Coat of arms
Ashe of Langley Burrell: Argent, two chevrons sable.
Can you help?
Here are a few notes about information and images which would help to improve the account above. If you can help with any of these or with other additions or corrections, please use the contact form in the sidebar to get in touch.
- Can anyone provide a copy of the illustration which is mentioned by Pevsner of the house of c.1700 at Heytesbury? And can anyone tell me whether the 1996 fire damaged the period interiors and if so, whether they have been restored?
- Cambridge House, Twickenham, survived until 1937. Can anyone provide a photograph of it which shows what was done in the 1830s? Or a view of the entrance front?
- Can anyone provide any information about, or a photograph of, the house of the Ashe family at Ashfield (Meath)? Or about the Herbert family who owned it from the mid 19th century to c.2000?
- Can anyone supply a photograph or other illustration of Castle Mary near Bansha?
- Does anyone know how the Ashes of Ashgrove (Co. Cork) were related to any of the families discussed in this post? The earliest member of that family whom I have been able to trace was Robert Ashe (d. 1763) of Macroom (Cork).
- Can you supply portraits or photographs of any of the people whose names are given in bold in this account, and for whom images are not already provided?
- If anyone is able to supply additional genealogical information about the families discussed here, I should be very pleased to hear from them.
Revision and acknowledgements
This post was first published 29 January 2016 and updated 9 October 2016, 8-9, 20 January, 2 & 8 March, 6 October and 11 December 2017, 21 March 2018 and 28 March 2020. I am grateful to Dr. Bob Scott-Ashe for additional information and pictures, and to John Gaisford and Brenda Coleman for corrections.