Thomas Barnard (1830-1909) rented Cople House (Beds) from the Duke of Bedford from 1855, and later purchased the freehold. He enlarged the house in about 1875, and it continued to be occupied by his widow (who died aged 96 in 1929) and their daughter until it was requisitioned in the Second World War for use as a hostel by the Women's Land Army. It continued to be used as a hostel until 1950, but by then the family had sold it; the house burned down in 1971 and was subsequently demolished.
Thomas Barnard's only son, Thomas Henry Barnard (1866-1916), the last of the family to run the Bedford Bank, bought Kempston Hoo when it came on the market in 1898, and lived there until his death in 1916. His widow and young family remained in occupation for a few years afterwards, but the house was sold again in about 1920, and demolished in the 1930s to make way for housing development. T.H. Barnard's eldest son, Thomas Theodore Barnard (1898-1983), undertook postgraduate research at Cambridge after returning from the First World War, and became an academic. From 1924-34 he held a teaching post in South Africa, where his three children were all born, and when he came back to England he looked for a house near the sea. His choice settled on Furzebrook House near Wareham (Dorset), where an added attraction was a flooded claypit on the estate which had gained a reputation with artists as a beauty spot, and which he developed as a tourist attraction known as The Blue Pool. It was closed in the Second World War, but reopened in 1946 under the management of his teenage daughter, Jennifer Barnard (b. 1929), who still owns and operates it today, in a remarkable example of business continuity.
Kempston Hoo, Bedfordshire
|Kempston Hoo: the house in 1920.|
|Kempston Hoo: the house in 1931, on the eve of demolition.|
The house stood in extensive grounds south-west of the village of Kempston, and in 1884 was advertised as containing an entrance hall with the staircase leading out of it; a drawing room, dining room, morning room and library; and ten bedrooms and two dressing rooms, apart from the service accommodation. After the house was sold to Thomas Henry Barnard in 1898 it seems to have been modernised, with some of the bedrooms being sacrificed to make bathrooms, and the installation of electric light. Downstairs, a billiard room and conservatory seem to have been added, although when the house was valued under the 1925 Rating & Valuation Act, the assessor noted that the former was actually 'used for Badminton'.
|Kempston Hoo: the house in its setting in 1882, from the 1st edn 6" OS map.|
Image: National Library of Scotland.
Descent: built for Thomas John Green (1806-68), who sold or let to Robert Hobson; sold 1849 to Talbot Barnard (1827-67); to son, Talbot Barnard (1850-88), who sold 1884 to Robert Orr Campbell (d. 1892); sold to Hugh d'Oyly Tweedy (d. 1898); sold to Thomas Henry Barnard (1866-1916); sold to Lt-Col. Oscar L. Eugster (d. 1930); sold 1931 for redevelopment and demolished.
Cople House, Bedfordshire
A three-storey early 19th century house that was probably originally L-shaped, built for the Duke of Bedford, whose family had owned the Cople and Willington estates since 1774. The house replaced an earlier building, and a bell which survived from the predecessor house was dated 1678, perhaps giving an indication of its date.
|Cople House: the garden front [Image: Bedfordshire Archives BD1391/5]|
The new house was built by Nixon of Woburn, and was apparently constructed in about 1822, when the Cople estate was let to George James Ludlow (1758-1842), 3rd Earl Ludlow. Thomas Barnard took on the tenancy in 1855, but seems to have bought the freehold between 1861 and 1875, when the house was considerably enlarged by the addition of a west wing. With this addition, the house was a little larger than Kempston Hoo, with four reception rooms in addition to the entrance hall and fifteen principal bedrooms.
The house was requisitioned for use as a Women's Land Army hostel in the Second World War, and continued to be used for that purpose until 1950. It was presumably then returned to private occupation, but the house was destroyed by fire in 1971 and demolished. The stable block survived the fire but was derelict by 1978, when it was divided into three dwellings. The site of the house is now occupied by a housing estate.
Descent: Duke of Marlborough sold 1774 to executors of John Russell (1710-71), 4th Duke of Bedford, whose son, Francis Russell (1765-1802), 5th Duke of Bedford came of age in 1786; to brother, John Russell (1766-1839), 6th Duke of Bedford; to son, Francis Russell (1788-1861), 7th Duke of Bedford; to son, William Russell (1809-72), 8th Duke of Bedford, who probably sold it to Thomas Barnard (1830-1909); to widow, Isabella Barnard (1832-1929); to daughter, Beatrice Catherine Isabella Barnard (1861-1947); requisitioned for use by Women's Land Army, 1943-50; sold 1947...burnt 1971 and demolished. Successive Dukes of Bedford let the house in 1800-02 to George Ferdinand Fitzroy (1761-1810), 2nd Baron Southampton; in 1803-42 to George James Ludlow (1758-1842), 3rd Earl Ludlow; in 1842-53 to George Stevens Byng (1806-86), Viscount Enfield (later 7th Earl of Strafford); in 1853-55 to T.W. and Richard C. Wing of Bedford; and from 1855 to Thomas Barnard (1830-1909).
Furzebrook House, Church Knowle, Dorset
The house is perhaps rather small to be regarded as a true country house, but it is undeniably a gentleman's residence. There seems to have been a house on the site by 1862, when it was tenanted, but in 1865 this was still described as a cottage. The property formed part of the Furzebrook estate of the Pike family, who operated a series of claypits in the vicinity producing high quality clay for use in the Staffordshire pottery industry, and in the 1880s Lawrence Warburton Pike (d. 1900) took up residence here with his wife. He may have enlarged or rebuilt the existing cottage, but the simple gabled elevation and minimal neo-Jacobean detail of the house could have been built at any time in the mid to late 19th century.
|Furzebrook House: the property when it was advertised for sale in 1933.|
By the early 20th century, one of the flooded abandoned clay workings near the house was attracting artists and other visitors because of the striking blue colour of the water there. After the house was sold to the Barnard family in 1935, about 25 acres of the grounds around 'the Blue Pool' were fenced off and landscaped as a visitor attraction, and a tea house was built to sell refreshments to the visitors. Although closed for the duration of the Second World War, the family revived this facility after they regained possession of the estate in 1946, and it remains open today.
Descent: perhaps built for Lawrence Warburton Pike (d. 1900); to widow, Eleanor (d. 1934); sold 1935 to Thomas Theodore Barnard (1898-1983); to son, Thomas Peregrine Barnard (b. 1930).
Barnard family of Kempston Hoo and Furzebrook House
Barnard, Joseph (1745-1825). Younger son of John Barnard (1713-87) of Parsonage Farm, Sawbridgeworth (Herts) and his wife Mary Cramphorne (1716-83), baptised at Sawbridgeworth, 9 August 1745. He was apprenticed to Francis Hutchins, a London clothworker, and was admitted a freeman of the City of London in 1768. It seems probable that shortly after this he began business as a coal merchant. He apparently lived at Cambridge for some time, but by 1773 he was living at Earith (Hunts.). In 1776 he leased premises in Bedford St Mary comprising the former 'Chapel of Herne' (the building in which John Bunyan had been tried in 1661, but then a warehouse) and a coal yard. He was admitted a freeman of the Borough in 1781 and was invited to serve as Mayor in 1806, but declined the honour. In the 1790s he moving into banking and founded Barnard's Bank (also known as Bedford Bank) in 1799. In 1809-10 there was a run on the bank and in 1811 a cashier at the Bank of England embezzled over £15,600 of the firm’s investment funds, almost causing the bank to fail, but the firm survived thanks to the loyalty of Joseph's friends, Samuel Whitbread and the Duke of Bedford. He married, 23 February 1773 at Linton (Cambs), Mary (1741-1824), daughter of Thomas Talbot of Linton, attorney, and had issue:
(1) Joseph Talbot Barnard (1775-1834), baptised at Bluntisham-cum-Earith (Hunts), 18 May 1775; corn factor in Bedford (bankrupt 1803); he was left only an annual allowance in his father's will; died unmarried, 1 September and was buried at Bawburgh (Norfk), 5 September 1834;
(2) Mary Barnard (b. 1777), baptised at Bedford, 3 October 1777; probably died young;
(3) John Barnard (b. 1779), baptised at Bedford, 18 June 1779; probably died young;
(4) Martha Barnard (1780-1804), born 18 December 1780; married, 28 April 1803 at St Paul, Bedford, Digby Thomas Carpenter (1780-1853), and had issue one son, who died young; said to have died at Gibraltar following the birth of her son, 1804;
(5) Thomas Barnard (1784-1853) (q.v.).
He lived in Bedford.
He was buried at St Paul, Bedford, 6 September 1825; his will was proved in the PCC, 22 September 1825. His wife died about 4 March and was buried at St Paul, Bedford, 10 March 1824.
Barnard, Thomas (1784-1853). Youngest son of Joseph Barnard (1745-1825), and his wife Mary, daughter of Thomas Talbot of Linton (Cambs), attorney, born 18 March and baptised at Bedford, 31 July 1784. Coal merchant (until 1827) and banker at Bedford; Treasurer of Bedford General Infirmary; Director of the Bedford Charities. He married, 9 May 1820, Anne (1792-1864), third daughter of Thomas Fisher of Cambridge, banker, and had issue:
(1) Mary Barnard (1821-1904), born 6 May and baptised at St Paul, Bedford, 13 May 1821; married, 28 December 1841 at St Paul, Bedford, Rev. Alexander Grant (1818-80), rector of Manningford Bruce (Wilts), son of Edward Grant, judge in India, and had issue one son; died in Rome, 26 November 1904; will proved 14 February 1905 (estate £1,447);
(2) Joseph Barnard (1822-42), baptised at St Paul, Bedford, 7 July 1822; died unmarried, 2 March, and was buried at St. Paul, Bedford, 10 March 1842;
(3) Emma Barnard (1825-1922), born 3 August and baptised at St Mary, Bedford, 5 August 1825; married, 2 April 1850, Frederick Stanley Carpenter JP (1817-90) of Bromham (Beds) and had issue five sons and two daughters; died aged 96 on 13 January 1922; will proved 15 May 1922 (estate £2,309);
(4) Talbot Barnard (1827-67) (q.v.);
(5) Gertrude Barnard (1828-46), born 1828 and baptised at St Paul, Bedford, 11 January 1829; died unmarried, 21 July and was buried at St Paul, Bedford, 28 July 1846;
(6) Thomas Barnard (1830-1909) (q.v.);
(7) Octavius Bernard (b. & d. 1831), baptised at St Paul, Bedford, 31 August 1831; died in infancy, 9 September 1831.
He lived in Bedford.
He died 3 June 1853 and was buried at St Paul, Bedford, 10 June 1853; his will was proved in the PCC, 29 June 1853. His widow died at Cople House, 14 January 1864; her will was proved 2 February 1864 (effects under £1000).
Barnard, Talbot (1827-67). Elder son of Thomas Barnard (1784-1853) and his wife Anne, daughter of Thomas Fisher of Cambridge, banker, baptised at St Paul, Bedford, 19 September 1827. Educated at Bedford School and Emmanuel College, Cambridge. Banker in Bedford in partnership with his father and younger brother, Thomas Barnard. He had antiquarian interests and was a leading figure in the Bedfordshire Architectural and Archaeological Society (Vice-President). JP for Bedfordshire; High Sheriff of Bedfordshire, 1856-57. He was particularly noted for his contribution to public improvements and charitable causes, and for the improvements he made to the cottages on his estate. He married, 25 September 1849 at St Paul, Bedford, Mary (1829-1909), daughter of Nicholas Fitzpatrick MD of Bedford and had issue:
(1) Talbot Barnard (1850-88) (q.v.);
(2) Gertrude Marye [sic] Barnard (1851-1942), born 4 December and baptised at Kempston, 28 December 1851; died unmarried 28 April 1942; will proved 9 June 1942 (estate £13,410);
(3) Mary Blanche Barnard (1854-1923), born 22 June and baptised at Kempston, 6 September 1854; died unmarried, 11 December 1923; will proved 22 February 1924 (estate £12,755);
(4) Arthur Fitzpatrick Barnard (1856-1942), born 26 December 1856 and baptised at Kempston, 25 January 1857; emigrated to Springfield, Manitoba (Canada) but later returned to England and worked as a market gardener in Ealing; married, 1880 (div. c.1892) at Lisgar, Manitoba, Lucy (1861-1918), daughter of Samuel Arkell of Lisgar, farmer, and had issue one son; died 31 January 1942; will proved 26 October 1942 (estate £317);
(5) Amy Caroline Barnard (1859-1940), born 14 July and baptised at Kempston, 14 August 1859; died unmarried 13 June 1940; will proved 2 September 1940 (estate £10,338).
He purchased Kempston Hoo in about 1849. After his death his widow moved to Ealing (Middx).
He died after a long illness on 15 December and was buried at Kempston, 21 December 1867. His widow died in Ealing (Middx), 15 January 1909; her will was proved 20 February 1909 (estate £2,886).
Barnard, Talbot (1850-88). Elder son of Talbot Barnard (1827-67) and his wife Mary, daughter of Nicholas Fitzpatrick MD of Bedford, born at Torquay (Devon), 10 July 1850. He married, 26 October 1875 at Christ Church, Ealing (Middx), Lilian (b. 1855), daughter of Col. William Augustin John Mayhew, Adjutant-General of the Bengal Army, and had issue:
(1) Talbot Arthur Fitzpatrick Barnard (c.1880-1911), probably born late in 1880; educated at Edinburgh University and Penzance School of Mines; lived with his grandmother in Ealing (Middx); oil engineer; married, August 1906 at Bagillt (Flints), Marie Beatrice Morris, and had issue one daughter; murdered at Grozny, Chechnya (Russia), when he 'sacrificed his life in saving that of Mrs MacGarvey, the wife of the manager of the Anglo-Terek Petroleum Company's works', 22 February 1911; buried at Baku (Azerbaijan), 28 February but exhumed and reburied at Perivale (Middx), 16 March 1911; administration of goods granted, 11 April 1911 (estate £575);
(2) Sidney Edgar Barnard (b. c.1881), probably born late in 1881; emigrated to Vancouver, British Columbia (Canada), when he was living in 1921; married, Jan-Mar 1913 in Chelsea (Middx), Lillian May Tothill (b. 1890) and had issue three children; presumably died in Canada;
(3) Rosalie Winifred Barnard (1882-1969), born 8 October 1882; married, 26 April 1904 at Guestling (Sussex), Lawrence Ashburnham (1870-1944), fourth son of Sir Anchitel Ashburnham, 8th bt., and had issue one daughter; emigrated to America and died in Los Angeles, California (USA), 12 May 1969.
He inherited Kempston Hoo from his father in 1867, but sold it in 1884.
He died at the Villa Beaumarchais, Monte Carlo (Monaco), 16 September 1888. His widow was bankrupted in 1893, partly as a result of gambling at Monte Carlo; her date of death has not been traced and she may have remarried or gone abroad.
Barnard, Thomas (1830-1909). Younger son of Thomas Barnard (1784-1853) and his wife Anne, daughter of Thomas Fisher of Cambridge, banker, born 21 March and baptised at St Paul, Bedford, 22 March 1830. Educated at Bedford School. Banker at Bedford (retired 1908); Whig MP for Bedford, 1857-59. JP (by 1859) and DL (from 1862) for Bedfordshire. He was a personal friend of Samuel Whitbread (who was his fellow MP for Bedford) and the Duke of Bedford. He married, 24 February 1859, Isabella Henrietta Theodora (1832-1929), daughter of Henry Lawes Long of Hampton Lodge, Shackleford (Surrey), and had issue:
(1) Beatrice Catherine Isabella Barnard (1861-1947), born 24 November and baptised at Cople, 26 December 1861; lived at Cople House (Beds); died unmarried, 17 February 1947; will proved 3 July 1947 (estate £32,943);
(2) Muriel Eve Alexandra Barnard (1863-1942), born 14 April and baptised at Cople, 13 May 1863; married, 28 June 1887, William Reginald Currie (1860-1900), only son of Henry William Currie of Rushden House (Northants), and had issue one son; as a widow lived with her sister at Cople House and at Hambledon House, Child Okeford (Dorset); died 29 April 1942; will proved 5 June 1942 (estate £12,344);
(3) Hilda Florence Audrey Barnard (1864-1938), born 22 June and baptised at Cople, 5 October 1864; married, 18 July 1894 at St Saviour, Chelsea (Middx), Adm. Sir Hugh Evan-Thomas GCB KCMG CVO (1862-1928), but had no issue; died 21 February 1938; will proved 1 April 1938 (estate £46,867);
(4) Thomas Henry Barnard (1866-1916) (q.v.);
(5) Sybil Mary Theodora Barnard (1867-1947), born 22 December 1867 and baptised at Cople, 22 April 1868; lived at Haslemere (Surrey); died unmarried, 13 September 1947; will proved 21 November 1947 (estate £23,909);
(6) A daughter (b. & d. 1870), born 18 April 1870 but died unbaptised the same day;
(7) Elsie Marjorie Anne Barnard (1873-94), born 16 April and baptised at Cople, 27 May 1873; lived at Playden (Sussex); died unmarried, 19 April 1894.
He rented Cople House from 1855 and purchased the freehold from the Duke of Bedford before 1875.
He died at Cople House, 31 March 1909; his will was proved May 1909 (estate £230,122). His widow died at Cople House, 29 January 1929; her will was proved 22 April 1929 (estate £2,331).
Barnard, Thomas Henry (1866-1916). Only son of Thomas Barnard (1830-1909) and his wife Isabella, daughter of Henry Lawes Long of Hampton Lodge, Shackleford (Surrey), born 5 March and baptised at Cople, 8 May 1866. Educated at Eton (where he played cricket and was Master of Beagles) and Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1885). Banker with Thomas Barnard & Partners in Bedford (managing director from 1908), but having encouraged all the young men in the firm's offices to join up in the First World War he was unable to sustain the workload and sold the business to Parrs Bank (later part of the Westminster Bank Ltd.) in 1915. JP for Bedfordshire; High Sheriff of Bedfordshire, 1914-15; County Treasurer of Bedfordshire, 1909-16. He was a keen member and Secretary of the Oakley Hunt. He married, 4 November 1897, Bertha Mary (1869-1959), daughter of Henry Lambton of Winslow (Bucks) and granddaughter of William Henry Lambton of Biddick Hall (Co. Durham), and had issue:
(1) Thomas Theodore Barnard (1898-1983) (q.v.);
(2) Mary Barnard (b. & d. 1899), born about 14 June 1899; died in infancy and was buried at Cople, 16 June 1899;
(3) Ralph Henry Barnard (b. 1901), baptised at Kempston, 1 February 1901; died in infancy;
(4) Vice-Admiral Sir Geoffrey Barnard (1902-74), born 12 November and baptised 31 December 1902; educated at Cheam and Royal Naval College, Dartmouth; an officer in the Royal Navy, 1916-59 (Sub-Lt., 1922; Cmdr, 1935; Capt., 1942; Rear-Adm., 1951; Vice-Adm., 1954), he served throughout the Second World War and was chief of staff to naval commanders-in-chief in the Mediterranean theatre, 1942-45 and of the Home Fleet, 1946-47; director of Royal Navy Tactical School, 1948-49; Deputy Chief of Naval Staff and Admirality Commissioner, 1953-54; naval attaché at British embassy in Washington (USA), 1954-56; President of Royal Naval College, Greenwich, 1956-59; appointed KCB, 1957; CBE, 1943; and DSO, 1942, 1945; awarded the Legion d'honneur and Croix de Guerre; lived at Bramdean Lodge (Hants); married, 26 June 1926, Julyan Frances (1903-89), younger daughter of Francis Crawley of Stockwood Park (Beds) and had issue one son and two daughters; died 19 December 1974; will proved 5 February 1975 (estate £15,218);
(5) Muriel Elizabeth Anne Barnard (1906-95), born 2 March 1906; married, 25 September 1948, William Harold Worrall of Ubley Park Farm, Chewstoke (Som.), but had no issue; died 31 January 1995; will proved 28 February 1995 (estate under £125,000);
(6) Gwendolen Bertha Barnard (1912-88), born 10 January 1912; artist; died unmarried, 24 April 1988; will proved 21 July 1988 (estate under £70,000).
He re-purchased Kempston Hoo in 1898. After his death his widow moved to Woodlands, Boars Hill (Berks) and the house was sold in about 1920.
He died at breakfast, 16 March 1916, having 'worked himself to death', according to his son, Sir Geoffrey Barnard; his will was proved 27 May 1916 (estate £201,302). His widow died 4 June 1959; her will was proved 25 August 1959 (estate £60,590).
Barnard, Thomas Theodore (1898-1983). Eldest son of Thomas Henry Barnard (1866-1916) of Kempston Hoo (Beds) and his wife Bertha Mary, daughter of Henry Lambton of Winslow (Bucks) and granddaughter of William Henry Lambton of Biddick Hall (Co. Durham), born 31 August and baptised at St Peter, Bedford, 26 September and again at Cople, 25 October 1898. Educated at Eton, Christ Church, Oxford (MA 1924) and Kings College, Cambridge (PhD, 1924). An officer in the Coldstream Guards, 1917-19 (Lt.) and 1940-45 (Capt.); awarded MC, 1919. Professor of Social Anthropology and Director of the School of African Life and Languages at the University of Cape Town (South Africa), 1926-34. The artist Paul Nash and his wife were friends of the family, and stayed on several occasions at Furzebrook House, although plans for him to illustrate a guidebook to the Blue Pool, discussed in 1937, never came to fruition. He was a keen naturalist, and his observations of rare species including the Dartford Warbler and Sand Lizard at the Blue Pool led to its designation as a Site of Special Scientific Interest in 1985. He married, 28 October 1924, Gillian Sarah (1904-61), only daughter of Lt-Col. the Hon. Antony Schomberg Byng DSO, and had issue:
(1) Jennifer Sarah Barnard (b. 1929), born 10 January 1929; proprietor of the Blue Pool Tea Room since 1946; unmarried; now living;
(2) Thomas Peregrine Barnard (b. 1930), born 20 November 1930; educated at Eton; after national service, he became an engineer, ; now living;
(3) Margaret Susan Barnard (1933-2015), born 22 March 1933; died unmarried, 10 June 2015; will proved 14 December 2015.
He purchased Furzebrook House, Wareham, on returning to England in 1934.
He died 20 August 1983; his will was proved 17 November 1983 (estate £21,427). His wife died 26 or 29 May 1961; her will was proved 10 August 1961 (estate £22,439).
Burke's Landed Gentry, 1952, p. 114; introduction to Bedfordshire Archives catalogue of Barnard papers (BD);
Location of archives
Barnard family of Bedford and Kempston: deeds, family and estate papers, and banking business papers, 13th-20th cents. [Bedfordshire Archives & Records Service, BD]
Vice-Adm. Sir Geoffrey Barnard (1902-75): diaries, correspondence and papers, 1916-66 [Imperial War Museum]; correspondence and papers, 1930-52 [National Museum of the Royal Navy].
Coat of arms
Can you help?
- Does anyone know anything about the later years of Lillian Barnard (née Mayhew) (b. 1855), after she was bankrupted in 1893? I have been unable to find any record of her remarriage or death, and she may have gone abroad.
- I should be most grateful if anyone can provide photographs or portraits of people whose names appear in bold above, and who are not already illustrated.
- As always, any additions or corrections to the account given above will be gratefully received and incorporated.
Revision and acknowledgements
This post was first published 15 October 2019.