|Bathurst of Finchcocks|
Finchcocks, Goudhurst, Kent
|Finchcocks: the west front in 1946. Image: Country Life.|
|Finchcocks: the hall in 1946, with the Bathurst family group portrait by Maubert in position over the chimneypiece. Image: Country Life.|
|Finchcocks: the drawing room in 2015, when the house was a museum of keyboard instruments. Image: Savills/BNPS|
Bathurst of Finchcocks
(1) Mary Bathurst (b. 1569), baptised at Horsmonden, 24 February 1568/9; probably married, 20 September 1591 at Goudhurst, Christopher Tylman (b. 1570) of Selling (Kent), and had issue;(2) Elizabeth Bathurst (1571-1612?), baptised at Horsmonden, 11 February 1570/71; probably married, 12 November 1592 at Chillenden (Kent), Rev. Anthony Field (d. 1626), vicar of Chillenden; probably the woman of this name buried at Nonington (Kent), 12 September 1612;(3) Edward Bathurst (1573-1619) (q.v.);(4) Joan Bathurst (1574-80), baptised at Horsmonden, 4 August 1574; died young and was buried at Horsmonden, 23 June 1580;(5) Richard Bathurst (1575-1629) of Bromley (Kent), baptised at Horsmonden, 25 September 1575; king's avener (chief officer of the royal stables, under the Master of the Horse); married Elizabeth (who m2, 13 July 1629 at St Mary le Strand, London, Sir Robert Vernon, kt. of Camberwell (Surrey), avener), daughter of Rev. Richard Hicks of Chichester, prebendary of York Minster, and had issue two sons and three daughters; will proved 10 June 1629;(6) Robert Bathurst (1578-c.1616), baptised at Horsmonden,15 March 1578; married, 2 July 1611 at Rodmersham (Kent), Elizabeth (fl. 1616), widow of Arthur Self; apparently living in 1615 but dead by 1616;(7) Alexander Bathurst (b. 1582), baptised at Horsmonden, 29 July 1582; probably died young;(8) Patience Bathurst (b. 1585), baptised at Horsmonden, 8 August 1585; married, 24 January 1608/9 at Chillenden, Rev. Ralph Partridge of Sutton by Dover (Kent), and had issue two sons and two daughters;(9) William Bathurst (b. 1586), baptised at Horsmonden, 11 December 1586; living in 1625;(10) Thomas Bathurst; mentioned in 1619 visitation and still living in 1625.
(1) Thomas Bathurst (1598-1638), baptised at Goudhurst, 10 January 1598/9; educated at Inner Temple (admitted 1617; called 1626); barrister-at-law; married, 4 March 1632 at Cranbrook, Elizabeth (fl. 1658) (who m2, 24 July 1645 at Birchington (Kent), Robert Darell or Dorrell of Minster-in-Thanet (Kent)), daughter of John Hooper of Stockbury (Kent); buried at Goudhurst, 18 August 1638;(2) Edward Bathurst (1599-1651) (q.v.);(3) William Bathurst (1600-58), of Eltham (Kent), baptised at Goudhurst, 28 December 1600; merchant and alderman of London; married, 1635/6 (licence 29 December), Elizabeth Mauditt of London, and had issue two sons [from whom descended the Bathursts of Edmonton (Middx)] and six daughters; died 8 July 1658; will proved 10 March 1658/9;(4) Richard Bathurst (1602-33), baptised at Goudhurst, 28 February 1601/2; married, 26 September 1631 at St Dunstan-in-the-West, London, Elizabeth Conden (c.1605-79), and had issue one daughter; buried at Goudhurst, 18 January 1632/3;(5) Elizabeth Bathurst (1605-39), baptised at Goudhurst, 27 January 1604/5; married, 30 November 1623 at Goudhurst, Edward Maplesden (1596-1668), son of Edward Maplesden of Marden (Kent), and had issue one son and three daughters; buried at Marden, 2 September 1639;(6) Anna Bathurst (1606-c.1652), baptised at Goudhurst, 14 December 1606; married, 21 May 1628 at Farnborough (Kent), George Maplesden (d. 1654), son of Edward Maplesden of Marden (Kent), and had issue three sons and three daughters; died between 1651 and 1653.
(1) Elizabeth Bathurst (1637-1711), baptised at Bromley (Kent), 20 February 1636/7; died unmarried, 12 February 1710/11;(2) Frances Bathurst (1638-65), baptised at Bromley (Kent), 22 February 1637/8; died unmarried and was buried at Goudhurst, 18 November 1665;(3) Edward Bathurst (1639-90) (q.v.);(4) John Bathurst (1640-1726), baptised at Goudhurst, 29 April 1640; died unmarried, 24 September 1726;(5) Thomas Bathurst (1642-1718) (q.v.);(6) Martha Bathurst (b. 1645), baptised at Goudhurst, 8 June 1645; predeceased her mother and probably died in infancy;(7) William Bathurst (1646-1727) (q.v.);(8) Richard Bathurst (c.1649-1707); sought a position in HM Customs, 1680; mentioned in the will of his brother Edward; died 7 April 1707 and was buried at St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth (Norfk), where he was commemorated by a floor slab with a memorial inscription;(9) Charles Bathurst (b. c.1651; fl. 1675), probably the child his mother was carrying when her husband wrote his will; mentioned in the will of his mother; married, perhaps 24 October 1669 at Petersham (Surrey), Anna Coney[?], but was separated from his wife by 1675.
(1) Edward Bathurst (1681-1772) (q.v.).
(1.1) Edward Bathurst (1709-51), baptised at Goudhurst, 18 July 1709; educated at Middle Temple (admitted 1725; called 1731) and Trinity College, Oxford (matriculated 1726; BA 1729); Fellow of All Souls College, Oxford (MA 1733); Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London; said to have lived in Jamaica to manage the family estate there; married, 24 June 1742 at Alveley (Shrops.), Dorothy (c.1716-94), daughter of Lancelot Lee of Coton (Shrops.), and had issue one son and one daughter (Dorothy Bathurst (1743-1837), died unmarried); he died in Jamaica, 1751;(1.2) John Bathurst (c.1711-27); apprenticed to Anthony Kingsley of London, grocer, 29 March 1726/7, but died young and was buried at Goudhurst, 2 December 1727;(1.3) Elizabeth Bathurst (1713-32), baptised at Goudhurst, 10 September 1713; died unmarried and was buried at Goudhurst, 17 March 1731/2;(1.4) Rev. Thomas Bathurst (1714-97), baptised at Goudhurst, 17 November 1714; educated at the Middle Temple (admitted 1729) and Trinity College, Oxford (matriculated 1731); Fellow of All Souls College, Oxford (BA 1735; MA 1740); ordained deacon, 1737 and priest, 1739; rector of Elmley (Kent) to 1765 and of Welwyn (Herts), 1785-97; inherited that part of the manor of Bokinfold in Goudhurst from his father in 1772 and lived at Brickwall, Goudhurst; buried at Welwyn, 24 April 1797; will proved at Hitchin (Herts), 1797;(2.1) Charles Bathurst (c.1723-67) (q.v.);(2.2) Lancelot Bathurst (b. c.1725?), perhaps born in Jamaica c.1725; died young;(2.3) Rev. Richard Bathurst (c.1727-1803) (q.v.);(2.4) Mary Bathurst (1731-88), baptised at St Clement Danes, London, 9 September 1731; eloped with and married, 6 November 1749 at Pembury (Kent), John Hodgskin (c.1721-95) of Goudhurst, said to have been 'an architect engaged on work at Finchcocks' and had issue seven sons and seven daughters; died 25 September 1788 and was buried at Goudhurst.
(1) Elizabeth Bathurst (b. & d. 1769), baptised at Goudhurst, 14 August 1769; died in infancy and was buried at Goudhurst, 15 September 1769;(2) Frances Bathurst (1770-1849), baptised at Goudhurst, 1 October 1770; married, 23 June 1800 at St Margaret, Rochester, Rev. Thomas Fothergill (1759-1821) of Twerton (Som.) and had issue one son and two daughters; buried at St Margaret, Rochester, 30 March 1849; will proved 10 April 1849;(3) Sophia Bathurst (b. & d. 1771), baptised at Goudhurst, 28 November 1771; died in infancy and was buried at Goudhurst, 18 December 1771;(4) Harriet Bathurst (1773-74), baptised at Goudhurst, 4 April 1773; died in infancy and was buried at Goudhurst, 29 August 1774;(5) Edward Bathurst (1774-1829), baptised at Goudhurst, 25 July 1774; articled to John Williams of Dartford, solicitor, 1790, and later to John Simmonds of Dartford, solicitor, 1792; incurred large debts through gambling, reputedly on snail racing with the Prince of Wales (!); married 1st, 13 September 1793 at St Alphege, Greenwich (Kent), Sarah McPherson, and had issue five sons and one daughter; married 2nd, 8 January 1812 at St Martin-in-the-Fields, Mary Ann Denyer (d. 1871), and had further issue four sons and one daughter; buried at St George, Camberwell (Surrey), 5 March 1829;(6) Henrietta Bathurst (1776-1828), baptised at Goudhurst, 4 April 1776; died unmarried, 26 November 1828 and was buried in Rochester Cathedral; will proved in the PCC, 11 December 1828;(7) Richard Bathurst (1778-1833), baptised at Goudhurst, 5 April 1778; articled to John Simmonds of Dartford, solicitor, 1794, and became a solicitor at Sittingbourne (Kent); married, 29 December 1803 at St Nicholas, Rochester (Kent), Mary (1775-1845), daughter of Thomas Harwood, and had issue five sons and five daughters; died 10 July and was buried at St Michael, Sittingbourne, 17 July 1833;(8) Thomas Bathurst (1779-c.1800), baptised at Goudhurst, 20 May 1779; died unmarried about 1800;(9) Charles Bathurst (1780-1833), baptised at Goudhurst, 16 August 1780; apprenticed to a surgeon; practised as a surgeon at Strood (Kent); married, 15 December 1808 at St Andrew, Holborn (Middx), Ann Biggar (c.1790-1838), and had issue three sons and three daughters; died 10 July 1833; will proved in the PCC, 4 June 1834;(10) Lancelot Bathurst (1782-1858), baptised at Goudhurst, 25 July 1782; lived in Hammersmith (Middx) and was a JP for Middlesex; married, 1831 (licence 19 October) at St Margaret, Westminster (Middx), Mary Ann Smith (b. c.1790) and had issue one son and two daughters; died 25 November 1858; will proved 20 December 1858 (effects under £14,000);(11) William Bathurst (1783-1828), baptised at Goudhurst, 6 December 1783; articled to John Simmonds of Dartford, solicitor, 1799 and later practised at Rochford (Essex); married, 22 November 1808 at St Martin-in-the-Fields, Westminster (Middx), Mary Anne (b. 1779), daughter of George Blakeway of London, and had issue three sons and four daughters; died 11 June 1828.
Location of archives
Coat of arms
Can you help?
- I should be most grateful if anyone can provide photographs or portraits of people whose names appear in bold above, and who are not already illustrated.
- Any additions or corrections to the text above will be gratefully received and incorporated. I am always particularly pleased to hear from descendants of the family who can supply information from their own research for inclusion.