Saturday 18 October 2014

(145) Anne of Frickley Hall and Burghwallis Hall

Anne family of Frickley
and Burghwallis
The Anne family were prominent in the Doncaster area from at least the early 14th century, when Sir William de Anne was Constable of Tickhill Castle, and they are first recorded as lords of Frickley in 1379. The estate evidently passed from father to son through several generations, but a convincing continuous descent can only be traced from John Anne (d. 1520). Such information as is known about the earlier generations is summarised in Burke's Landed Gentry.

At the Reformation, the Anne family retained their Catholic faith and in the late 16th and 17th centuries they were amongst the most ardent Recusants in Yorkshire, consistently intermarrying with other Catholic families and fairly openly adhering to the Catholic faith and harbouring Catholic priests. Martin Anne (d. 1589) seems to have been reasonably discreet about his adherence to the old religion, but his younger brother William may have been the Catholic priest known as Fr. John Amyas who was martyred at York in 1588/89, and his nephew Fr. William Anlaby certainly suffered the same fate in 1597; both men have been beatified by the Roman Catholic church. Martin's son, George Anne (d. 1620) was known to the authorities as a Recusant and his estate was seized in 1591 and had to be redeemed by a rental payment. Through his marriage he acquired the Burghwallis estate in addition to Frickley, although the latter remained the family's principal seat until it was sold in 1750. Despite the acquisition of Burghwallis, he fell into arrears with his redemption payments and in 1604 he was obliged to sell the manor of Roall near Goole to clear his debts. He and his son, 
Philip Anne (1591-1647), who also compounded for his recusancy, continued to accumulate debts, and Philip owed £2,400 at his death.

After the Restoration of the Monarchy in 1660 the financial penalties facing Recusant families were less severe, and under King James II Michael Anne (1626-1709) was briefly a JP for the West Riding.  He was also able to arrange a good marriage for his son and heir, Michael Anne (1653-1717) with Jane, the daughter of Lord Langdale. The younger Michael's son, Marmaduke Anne, died aged about 30 in 1722, and left a young family. Two of his three daughters became nuns on the Continent, and he left Frickley to his elder son and Burghwallis to the younger. Michael Anne (fl. 1750), who inherited Frickley, sold it in 1750, and thereafter Burghwallis became the principal family seat. It was extensively remodelled for George Anne (1775-1802), presumably after he came of age in 1796, but the identity of the architect involved is not known. When George died unexpectedly of scarlet fever in 1802, leaving no son, the estate passed to his younger brother, Michael Anne (1777-1853), who continued to improve the estate. In 1810 he married Maria (1792-1844), the daughter of George Crathorne, and under the complicated provisions of her mother's first husband's will, inherited the Bodney estate in Norfolk on condition that he took the name of Tasburgh.

Michael Tasburgh, as he became, undertook a further remodelling of Burghwallis Hall in the 1820s, and took his family to live on the continent while the works were in progress. He seems to have enjoyed life in Paris where there were many Catholic ex-patriot families and he was able to mix in the best society, and in the end the family stayed there almost continuously until 1828. In 1833 his wife inherited the Crathorne estate under trusts which secured her control of the property, and her husband's attempts to persuade her to settle it upon their son seems to have led in 1835 to a permanent breach between husband and wife: at her death, Maria left the estate between her surviving daughters.  We know a lot about Michael and his family because his youngest daughter Barbara's memoir of her life was published in 1950.  Michael does not emerge as a sympathetic character from its pages: selfish in his own pleasures, he denied his children toys; found lodgings in Paris in damp and gloomy houses which made his wife ill; and appears to have tried to use undue influence on her in the matter of the disposition of the Crathorne estate.  His son George (1813-82), who resumed the surname Anne, seems to have been made of rather similar cloth, and perhaps fortunately never married. When he died in Italy in 1882, the male line of the Annes expired, and Burghwallis passed to his nephew, Ernest Lambert Swinburne Charlton (1852-1939), who took the surname Anne in 1883. Ernest was in effect the last of the Annes of Burghwallis; when he died the estate passed to his son, George Charlton Anne (1886-1960), who put the estate up for sale in lots in 1942 and sold the Hall itself to the Sisters of Charity in 1946 for use as a retirement home for elderly ladies, a role it has fulfilled under several different Catholic owners down to 2014.

Frickley Hall, Yorkshire (West Riding)

Frickley Hall in 2010.  Image: Michelle Dudley.  All rights reserved

The medieval and Tudor house of the Anne family occupied a moated site at Park Farm, and building work was in progress there in 1572. The house is said 
to have been destroyed by fire in about 1760, shortly after the Anne family sold it. The moat was altered as part of landscaping works in the early 19th century, when a chain of fishponds was merged with the moat around the house platform.

The present Hall was built on a new site in the park, probably soon after 1760, for Anthony Wharton of Carhouse (c.1728-73), who bought the estate from the Annes. It was given its present appearance by Richard Kennet Dawson (1793-1850) in about 1820. It has a five bay entrance front facing north, with a pedimented Doric porch, and a seven-bay east front with a three-bay pediment enclosing an oval window. The windows are without architraves, although bays two and six on the ground floor have consoled cornices. The rear service wing shows clear evidence of the remodelling of an earlier range in a different stone. Inside, the inner hall has a cantilevered stone staircase with fluted square balusters and a rectangular lantern with a coffered central panel. A first floor room has an interesting Arts & Crafts fireplace with a beaten copper surround and motto ‘East West Hame’s Best’, and contemporary wall cupboards and shelving. For an account of its later Warde-Aldam owners, see my post on that family.

Descent: Sir William de Anne (fl. mid 14th cent.); to son, Alexander Anne; to son, Ralph Anne (fl. 1431); to Thomas Anne; to John Anne (fl. 1504); to son, John Anne; to son, Christopher Anne; to half-brother Martin Anne; to son George Anne (fl. 1585); to son, Philip Anne (1591-1647); to son, Michael Anne (b. 1626); to Michael Anne (b. 1658); to son, Marmaduke Anne (d. 1722); to son Michael Anne (fl. 1750), who sold 1750 to Anthony Wharton (c.1728-73); to brother, John Wharton (fl. 1778-84) who sold to William Payne (1760-1831); sold after 1815 to Benjamin Kennet (later Dawson) (b. c.1750); to son, Richard Kennet Dawson (1793-1850) who sold 1844 to William Aldam (né Pease) (1779-1855) as wedding gift for William Aldam (1813-90); to son, William Wright Warde-Aldam (1853-1925); to younger son, John Ralph Patientius Warde-Aldam (1892-1973); to son, Maj. William Warde-Aldam (b. 1925); given to son, Charles Andrew Warde-Aldam (b. 1962).

Burghwallis Hall, Yorkshire (West Riding)

The original hall appears to have stood on a moated site in the park of the later house, but it was probably abandoned in the early 16th century when a new Tudor manor house was built on the present site. The existing house preserves evidence of this Tudor house of the Gascoignes in the roof timbers of the central and earliest part of the building, a chimneystack on the east front, and some remains of a priest-hole which was only rediscovered in the early 20th century.  

Burghwallis Hall from the air, showing the 1797/1820 block at the right-hand end, with its prominent gables,
the jumble of older ranges behind, and the long tail of outbuildings and 20th century convent extensions

After the Anne family sold their ancestral estate at Frickley in 1750, Burghwallis became their principal seat, and this is no doubt why it was partially rebuilt for George Anne (d. 1802) in about 1797. He built a new two-storey stuccoed front range of five bays with a pediment over the central three bays, and in doing so pulled down part of the old house including the Catholic chapel which the family had maintained in the attics. To replace this he also built a new red brick chapel amongst the outbuildings of the house.

The remodelling of the house was probably always intended to be the first phase of a campaign of works to modernise the estate, which was continued by George's brother and successor, Michael Anne (later Tasburgh). About 1809 he realigned the road through the village to create a more parklike setting for the house; demolished many of the old cottages near the church and built new ones west of the house; and in 1813 he improved the estate by enclosing the commons.  In 1820 he returned his attention to the house and 'rudely medievalized' the new block built by his brother to give it a more fashionably Tudor appearance and unify it with the older gabled ranges behind; he removed the pediment, added an extra storey and five gables, and stripped off the stucco. In Victorian times, a new porch was built on the entrance front.

Burghwallis Hall: the entrance front and Victorian porch

The house was sold by the Anne family to a Catholic order of nuns in the 1940s for use as a care home for elderly ladies, and additions were made to the north end of the house for this purpose. In 2014 the present owners, the Catholic diocese of Hallam, announced that this would close, and the future of the house is uncertain.

Descent: Richard Fenton; to daughter, Margaret, wife of George Anne (d. 1620); to son, Philip Anne (1591-1647); to son, Michael Anne (b. c.1626); to son, Michael Anne (b. c.1654); to son, Marmaduke Anne (d. 1722); to son, George Anne (1717-85); to son, George Anne (1775-1802); to brother, Michael Anne (later Tasburgh) (1777-1853); to son, George Anne (1813-82); to nephew, Ernest Lambert Swinburne Charlton (later Anne) (1852-1939); to son, George Charlton Anne (b. 1886), who sold 1946 to Sisters of Charity; sold 1986 to the Dominican sisters of Oakford; sold 1998 to the Catholic Diocese of Hallam.

Anne family of Frickley and Burghwallis Hall

Anne, John (d. 1520) of Frickley. Mentioned in the will of Edward Cresacre, sub-dean of York, 1504. He married Katherine (d. 1523/4), daughter and co-heir of Thomas Preston of Hickleton (Yorks WR) and had issue:
(1) John Anne (d. 1545) (q.v.);
(2) William Anne (fl. 1545);
(2) Kateryn Anne; probably died before 1524;
(3) Jane Anne (d. 1559); married John Peck of Haselden Hall, Wakefield (Yorks WR) and had issue nine sons and nine daughters;
(4) Joan Anne; married Sir Henry Gramercy and had issue one son and one daughter;
(5) Alice Anne (fl. 1524); married Thomas Green;
(6) Elisabeth Anne (fl. 1524); married Brian Oates;
(7) Anne Anne (fl. 1524); married George More of More Hall.
He inherited the Frickley estate from his father.
He died in 1520; administration of goods granted 14 December 1520. His widow's will was proved at York, 3 March 1523/4.

Anne, John (d. 1545) of Frickley. Only son of John Anne (d. 1520) and his wife Katherine, daughter of Thomas Preston of Hickleton (Yorks). He married 1st, Margaret, daughter of Sir Henry Hercy of Grove and 2nd, Katherine, daughter of John Hotham of Scarborough (Yorks ER), and had issue:
(1.1) A son, who died young;
(2.1) Christopher Anne (1521-46); married Margaret/Anne, daughter of Sir Nicholas Fairfax of Gilling Castle but died without issue; administration of goods granted 25 June 1546;
(2.2) Martin Anne (d. 1589) (q.v.);
(2.3) Peter Anne (d. 1563); administration of goods granted 4 August 1563;
(2.4) Gabriel Anne (d. 1588) of Cridling Park; married 1st, [forename unknown] Garth of Durham, and 2nd, Anne (d. 1592), daughter of Ralph Aungier of Redness, by whom he had issue one son; buried at Darrington, 4 February 1587/8;
(2.5) William Anne (fl. 1545); possibly the real identity of the priest known as Fr. John Amyas, who was martyred at York, 15 March 1588/9;
(2.6) Dorothy Anne; married John Anlaby of Etton and had issue including two sons (one of whom was Fr. William Anlaby (c.1552-97), a Roman Catholic priest who was martyred at York) and one daughter;
(2.7) Isabel Anne; married Bartholomew Trigott of South Kirkby and had issue one son and four daughters.
He inherited the Frickley estate from his father in 1520. At his death it passed first to his eldest son, Christopher, and then to his second son, Martin Anne.
He died 28 August 1545; his will was proved at York, 24 November 1545.

Anne, Martin (d. 1589) of Frickley. Eldest surviving son of John Anne (d. 1545) of Frickley and his second wife, Katherine, daughter of Sir John Hotham of Scarborough (Yorks ER). He married 1st, Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Neville of Ragnall (Notts) and 2nd, Frances (d. 1579), daughter of Ralph Aungier of Redness and had, among other issue:
(1.1) John Anne; died young;
(2.1) George Anne (d. 1620)
(2.2) Gervaise Anne (c.1558-1606); educated at Exeter College, Oxford (matriculated 1575); will proved in London, 20 September 1606;
(2.3) Elizabeth Anne (d. 1589); married 1st, Francis Gascoigne (d. 1576) of Gawthorpe Hall and 2nd, Marmaduke Tyrwhitt and had issue a daughter by her second husband; died 1589;
(2.4) Dorothy Anne (fl. 1604); married John Tyndall (fl. 1604) of Brotherton;
(2.5) Jane Anne; married 1st, Edward Grice of Wakefield (d. by 1586) and 2nd, Thomas Hopton of Cold Hiendly;
(2.6) Mary Anne; married John Gascoigne Ellis (fl. 1585-1612) of Kiddal and had issue ten sons and four daughters;
(2.7) Alice Anne; married Richard Danby of South Cave (Yorks ER);
(2.8) Agnes Anne (d. 1588); married, 17 April 1582 at Adwick, Francis Holmes of Hampole Priory Farm;
(2.9) Frances Anne; unmarried in 1589.
He inherited the Frickley estate from his half-brother, and was involved in building work at Frickley in 1572.
He died in 1589; his will was proved 7 October 1589. His second wife was buried 4 January 1579.

Anne, George (d. 1620) of Frickley and Burghwallis. Eldest surviving son of Martin Anne (d. 1589) of Frickley and his second wife, Frances, daughter of Ralph Augert or Aucher, born about 1560. An ardent and convicted Recusant, whose estate was seized in 1591 and had to be redeemed by a rental payment, which was £394 in arrears by 1613. He married Margaret (d. 1641), daughter and sole heir of Richard Fenton of Derbyshire and had issue:
(1) John Anne; died in childhood;
(2) Philip Anne (1590/1-1647) (q.v.);
(3) Rev. George Anne OSJ (d. 1660); a Jesuit priest; died unmarried;
(4) Thomas Anne (d. 1671?) of Sutton (Wilts); married and had issue;
(5) John Anne (fl. 1653) of Ripon (Yorks WR);
(6) Mary Anne (b. c.1585; fl. 1653); married Francis? Conyers;
(7) Bridget Anne (c.1602-39); a nun of the order of the Poor Clares at Gravelines, Flanders; died 22 December 1639;
(8) Frances Anne; a nun in Flanders;
(9) Catherine Anne (d. 1656); married [forename unknown] Bright MD of Beverley (Yorks ER); will proved in London, 24 November 1656;
(10) Martha Anne; married Charles Forster (fl. 1653), son and heir of Sir Richard Forster, 1st bt. of Stokesley (Yorks);
(11) Elizabeth Anne; married Thomas Lepton of Kepwick (Yorks);
(12) Jane Anne.
He inherited the Frickley estate from his father in 1589, and acquired the Burghwallis estate through his marriage. In 1604 he sold the manor of Roall to help him meet his liabilities.
He died in 1620.

Anne, Philip (1591-1647) of Frickley and Burghwallis. Eldest surviving son of George Anne (d. 1620) and his wife Margaret, daughter of Richard Fenton of Burghwallis, born 1590/1. He compounded for his recusancy in 1626 and left debts of £2,400 at his death. He married Ellen, daughter and co-heir of Hugh Sherbourn of Esholt (Yorks) and had issue:
(1) John Anne; died unmarried;
(2) Richard Anne; died unmarried;
(3) George Anne; died unmarried;
(4) Michael Anne (1626-1709) (q.v.);
(5) Philip Anne (d. 1660); married Margaret, daughter of Ambrose Pudsey of Stanwick and Pickton; died without issue; will proved in PCC, 19 July 1660;
(6) Jane Anne; died unmarried;
(7) Elizabeth Anne; died unmarried;
(8) Helen Anne; died unmarried;
(9) Margaret Anne; died unmarried.
He inherited the Frickley and Burghwallis estates from his father in 1620.
He died in 1647.

Anne, Michael (1626-1709) of Frickley and Burghwallis. Eldest surviving son of Philip Anne (1591-1647) and his wife Ellen, daughter of Hugh Sherburn of Esholt (Yorks), born 7 April 1626. JP for West Riding of Yorkshire under King James II. He married 1st, c.1649, Eleanor, daughter of Robert Stapleton of Templehurst (Yorks) and 2nd, 1668, Frances (b. c.1640), daughter of Sir Francis Fortescue, and had issue:
(1.1) Elizabeth Anne (c.1650-72); married, 1669, Anthony Saltmarsh (1644-75) of Strubby; died 28 March 1672;
(1.2) Michael Anne (1653-1717) (q.v.);
(1.3) George Anne (c.1656-1730); married Margaret, daughter of Thomas Fitzwilliam of Doncaster and widow of John Roundell of Hutton Wansley; buried at Burghwallis, 20 March 1730;
(1.4) Ursula Anne; died unmarried and probably young;
(1.5) Ellen Anne (b. & d. 1660), baptised 4 November 1660; died in infancy and was buried, 5 November 1660;
(2.1) Frances Anne (1676-1751); married Edward Killingbeck (1677-1746) and had issue five sons and six daughters; died September 1751.
He inherited the Frickley and Burghwallis estates from his father in 1647.
He died in 1709; his will was proved at York.

Anne, Michael (1653-1717) of Frickley and Burghwallis. Elder son of Michael Anne (1626-1709) and his first wife, Eleanor, daughter of Robert Stapleton of Templehurst (Yorks), born 1653. He married, 1675/6, the Hon. Jane (d. 1730), daughter of Marmaduke Langdale, 2nd Baron Langdale, and had issue:
(1) Michael Anne (d. 1711); married Elizabeth, daughter of Francis Howard of Corby (Cumberland) and widow of William Errington; died in the lifetime of his father and was buried at Burghwallis, 19 March 1710/11;
(2) Marmaduke Anne (d. 1722) (q.v.)
(3) Elizabeth Anne; died young;
(4) Anne Anne.
He inherited the Frickley and Burghwallis estates from his father in 1709.
He was buried at Burghwallis, 20 March 1716/7; administration of goods granted 15 June 1717. His widow was buried at Burghwallis, 23 October 1730.

Anne, Marmaduke (d. 1722) of Frickley and Burghwallis. Son of Michael Anne (1653-1717) and his wife Jane, daughter of 2nd Lord Langdale. He married, c.1713*, Elizabeth (1692-1762), daughter of Robert Plumpton of Plumpton (who married 2nd, William Knight of Frickley and had further issue) and had issue:
(1) Jane Anne; died young aged 7;
(2) Elizabeth Anne (1715-94), a Benedictine nun at Cambrai whose name in religion was Anselma (professed 1735; later Cellarer); died in prison in Compiègne, 14 January 1794;

(3) Michael Anne (b. 1716; fl. 1750), baptised 10 September 1716; inherited the Frickley estate from his father but sold it in 1750;
(4) Anne Anne (b. c.1716); married, 3 July 1739 at Clayton (Yorks), Arnold Knight (d. 1771?) of Buslingthorpe (Lincs) and had issue;
(5) George Anne (1717-85) (q.v.);
(6) Philip Anne (b. 1719), born 29 September 1719; died young;
(7) Jane Anne (1721-53), born 16 April 1721; a nun of the order of the Poor Clares at Gravelines, Flanders (name in religion Sister Mary Joseph; professed 1740; later Infirmarian); died 8 May 1753.
He inherited the Frickley and Burghwallis estates from his father in 1713. At his death Frickley passed to his elder son and Burghwallis to his younger son.
He died 18/28 August 1722; his will was proved at York, 1 July 1723. His widow remarried but became insane; her will was proved 31 July 1762.
*The marriage is often stated to have taken place in 1716, but that is the date of the marriage settlement, and the dates of birth of the children show the marriage must have been several years earlier.

Anne, George (1717-85) of Frickley and Burghwallis. Second but eldest surviving son of Marmaduke Anne (d. 1722) and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Plumpton of Plumpton, baptised 22 November 1717. He married 1st, 1 April 1745, Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Walton of Windermere (Westmorld) and widow of Thomas Cholmeley of Brandsby (Yorks), and 2nd, 1773, Mary (d. 1816), daughter of Robert Needham of Hilston (Monmouths) and had issue:
(1.1) Elizabeth Anne (c.1744-60); died unmarried and was buried at Trinity, Micklegate, York, 25 March 1760;
(2.1) George Marmaduke Anne (1775-1802); married, 9 May 1796, Frances Editha (d. 1844), daughter and co-heir of William Gage of York, but died without issue of scarlet fever, 27 July 1802; will proved at York, February 1803;
(2.2) Michael Anne (1777-1853) (q.v.).
He inherited the Frickley and Burghwallis estates from his father but sold Frickley in 1750 to Anthony Wharton. After his death, Burghwallis passed in turn to his two sons.
He died 5 June 1785 and was buried at Burghwallis.  His widow died 15 June and was buried at Burghwallis, 20 June 1816.

Anne (later Tasburgh), Michael (1777-1853) of Burghwallis Hall. Second son of George Anne (1717-85) and his second wife Mary, daughter of Robert Needham of Hilston (Monmouths), born 4 October 1777.  He assumed the surname of Tasburgh by royal licence on his marriage in 1810 as a condition of succeeding to the Bodney (Norfolk) estate of his wife's mother's first husband. He travelled in France in 1815, and lived there while Burghwallis Hall was being altered, 1821-30. He married, 23 April 1810 (separated 1835), Maria Augusta Rosalia (1792-1844), daughter and heir of George Crathorne (later Tasburgh, then Crathorne) and had issue:
(1) Mary Barbara Tasburgh (1810-61), born 18 December 1810; educated at the Fossés convent, Paris; married, 28 February 1837 at Hainton (Lincs), Charles Gregory Fairfax (1797-1871) of Gilling Castle (Yorks), but died without issue, 20 October 1861; administration of goods granted 25 January 1873 (estate under £9,000);
(2) Frances Tasburgh (1811-42), born November 1811; educated at the Fossés convent, Paris; married, 17 January 1833 at Burghwallis, George Fieschi Heneage MP (1800-64) of Hainton Hall (Lincs) and had issue; died 13 November 1842;
(3) George Anne (1813-82), born 27 July 1813; educated at Dresden University, 1831-33; JP for Yorkshire (WR); always used the surname Anne in preference to Tasburgh; died unmarried in Italy, 25 August 1882; 
(4) Barbara Tasburgh (1815-98), born at Hampstead, 31 May 1815; educated at the Fossés and Sacré Coeur convents, Paris; married, 20 June 1839 at St Mary Bryanston Square, London, William Henry Charlton (1811-80) of Hesleyside (Northumbld) and had issue four sons and two daughters, of whom Ernest Lambert Swinburne Charlton succeeded to the Burghwallis estate in 1882; her memoir of her life was published in 1950 as Recollections of a Northumbrian Lady, 1815-66; died 30 January 1898;
(5) Michael Tasburgh (1818-19), born 20 June 1818; died in infancy, 15 January 1819;
(6) Michael Tasburgh (1823-27), born at Versailles (France), 15 December 1823; died young in Paris, 4 April 1827;
He inherited the Burghwallis estate from his elder brother in 1802 and an estate at Nateby (Lancs) through his Preston connections. He also inherited the Bodney (Norfolk) estate (where the hall was occupied by a community of French nuns until 1821 and demolished in 1833) through his wife in 1810; in 1833 she also inherited the Crathorne estate. He sold Nateby in 1806. At his death, Burghwallis and Bodney passed to his surviving son, who sold the Norfolk estate in 1855, while Burghwallis Hall passed in 1882 to his grandson, Ernest Lambert Swinburne Charlton. Crathorne, which remained in his wife's control, was shared between their three daughters.
He died at Calais, 10 July 1853. His wife died 'after a few hours' illness', 8 May 1844.

Charlton (later Anne), Maj. Ernest Lambert Swinburne (1852-1939). Second son of William Henry Charlton of Hesleyside and his wife Barbara Anne, daughter of Michael Anne (later Tasburgh) of Burghwallis Hall (Yorks), born 17 September 1852. Educated at Oratory School and Royal Military College, Sandhurst. JP for Yorkshire (WR). Captain in 2nd Battn, Border Regiment and Major in 3rd Battn, Derbyshire Regt. He assumed the surname of Anne only by royal licence, 31 May 1883, after succeeding to the Burghwallis estate, and quartered the arms of Anne and Charlton. He married, 20 January 1885, Edith (d. 1937), fourth daughter of Sir Thomas George Augustus Parkyns, 5th bt., of Bunny Hall (Notts) and had issue:
(1) Maj. George Charlton Anne (1886-1960) (q.v.);
(2) Ernestine Mary Charlton Anne (1887-1985); Commandant of the Catholic Women's League Army Division, 1914-16; Organising Secretary of Catholic Women's League from 1917; died unmarried, 18 April 1985, aged 97;
(3) Maj. Hesleytyne Oswald Charlton Anne (b. 1888; fl. 1965), born 21 August 1888; educated at Oratory School and Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst; Major in Royal Artillery (served in WW1, mentioned in despatches); awarded Croix de Guerre and MC, 1919; married, 21 February 1928, Doris Lemprière (1902-94), daughter of Capt. Hugh Tyser of Maidenhead (Berks) and had issue one son; died in or after 1965;
(4) Maj. Crathorne Edward Isham Charlton Anne (1892-1917), born 2 December 1892; served in WW1 as Major seconded to the RAF; chief instructor at a school of military aeronautics; he was drowned when the 'Arcadian' was torpedoed in the Aegean Sea, 1917, and for his bravery in rescuing others on that day he was recommended for the VC; mentioned in despatches twice; married, 1916, Annie Charlton Ellen (d. 1943), daughter of William Miller of Edinburgh (who m2, John Bentley Foster (d. 1939) of Skelton Hall (Yorks) and had issue); died 15 April 1917.
He inherited the Burghwallis Hall estate from his uncle in 1882.
He died 25 November 1939. His wife died 31 May and was buried at Burghwallis, 4 June 1937.

Anne, Maj. George Charlton (1886-1960) OBE. Eldest son of Ernest Lambert Swinburne Anne (né Charlton) (1852-1939) and his wife Edith, daughter of Sir Thomas Parkyns, 5th bt. of Bunny Hall (Notts), born 11 February 1886. Educated at Oratory School and Exeter College, Oxford. ADC to Governor of Gold Coast (Ghana), 1909-10; served in WW1 as Major in King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry (mentioned in despatches); seconded to RAF (Squadron-Leader) and continued to serve into the 1920s. He married 1st, 29 June 1910, Amy Violet (d. 1935), daughter of James Montagu of Melton Park (Yorks) and 2nd, 22 January 1938, Constance, youngest daughter of Alfred Dagnall of Park Lodge, Wanstead (Essex), and had issue:
(1.1) Michael Anne (1911-80), born 24 March 1911; educated at Ampleforth and Christ Church, Oxford; served in Colonial Civil Service in Tanganyika (where he was mauled by a lioness, 1937); married, 10 July 1935, Barbara Helen (1911-89), elder daughter of Hugh Lonsdale Brooksbank of Tickhill (Yorks WR) and had issue a daughter; died 1980;
(1.2) Barbara Anne (b. 1912; fl. 1937), born 1912; married, 21 January 1937, Brian Robb (1913-79), son of Andrew Robb of London.
(1.3) Maj. Frederick John Anne (later Charlton) (b. 1914) of Hesleyside, born 9 November 1914; educated at Ampleforth and Royal Military College, Sandhurst; assumed the name of Charlton only on inheriting the Hesleyside estate from his father-in-law, 1950; High Sheriff of Northumberland, 1957; married, 4 March 1944, Mary Ellen Patricia, only child of William Henry Charlton of Hesleyside (Northbld) and had issue five daughters;
(1.4) Robert Anne (1919-41), born 15 October 1919; educated at Ampleforth; pilot in RAF; killed on active service, 30 June 1941;
He inherited the Burghwallis estate from his father in 1939, but sold it in lots between 1942 and 1946. He lived subsequently in the Brighton area of Sussex.
He died 14 February 1960 and his will was proved 23 June 1960 (estate £64,158). His first wife died 17 November 1935.

Burke's Landed Gentry, 1952, p. 47; L.E.O. Charlton (ed.), The recollections of a Northumbrian lady 1815-66, 1950; J.T. Cliffe, The Yorkshire gentry from the reformation to the Civil War, 1969, p. 365; M.L.P. Burns, Burghwallis and Bentley: a comparative study of the development of two South Yorkshire parishes, MA thesis, Sheffield University, 1996;

Location of archives
Anne, Crathorne and Tasburgh families of Burghwallis: deeds, manorial, estate and family papers, 13th-19th cents. [Yorkshire Archaeological Society, MD218]; deeds and estate papers, 1688-1905 [Doncaster Archives, DD/ANNE, DX/BAX]

Coat of arms
Gules, three bucks' heads cabossed argent attired or.

This account was first published 18 October 2014, and was revised 19 October 2014, 20 September 2015 and 10 February 2018.

Friday 10 October 2014

(144) Anguish of Great Melton Hall and Somerleyton Hall

Anguish family
The Anguish family were prominent in the affairs of the city of Norwich in the 17th century and a number of members of the family acquired lands around the city. The leading figure was Thomas Anguish (c.1538-1617), who was Mayor of Norwich in 1611 and founded a children's hospital charity in the city. He purchased the manor of Great Melton in 1609 and shortly afterwards built a new E-plan manor house there, which survived largely intact into the 20th century, although only fragments of the walls now remain. His brother, Edmund Anguish (d. 1616), acquired lands at Moulton which became the core of the family's property in later generations, although they never built a country house there.  The two branches of the family remained closely linked throughout the 17th century following the marriage of the son and daughter of Richard Anguish (d. 1628) of Moulton to the daughter and second son of Edmund Anguish (1574-1657) of Great Melton in the 1630s.

The heir of Edmund Anguish (1574-1657) at Great Melton was his son John Anguish (d. 1692), who in 1690 settled the estate on his daughter Anne and her husband, Edmund Woodhouse.  Woodhouse sold it in 1700 and in 1713 it passed to the Lombe (later Evans-Lombe) family and descended with their Bylaugh Hall estate.  The Moulton property remained in the family much longer, passing from Richard Anguish to his son Thomas Anguish (d. 1653) and then to the latter's son, Edmund Anguish (1637-99). His elder surviving son, Sir Richard Anguish (c.1669-1725), 1st bt., inherited the Somerleyton estate from Sir Thomas Allin, 1st bt., and changed his name to Allin.  The Moulton property afterwards descended with the Somerleyton estate, although many members of the Anguish family continued to be buried there in the 18th century.

An account of the Allin family and of Somerleyton Hall has already been given in this blog, but in 1794 the line of Sir Richard Allin's male descendants expired and ownership of the Somerleyton estate reverted to Thomas Anguish (1760-1810), a London barrister who had unfortunately recently been declared a lunatic. In the genealogy below I have traced his descent from Sir Richard Allin's younger brother.  Thomas' illness was evidently so severe that he needed permanent care, and he was entrusted to the famous Dr. Francis Willis of Greatford (Lincs), who treated King George III, and subsequently to his sons, who continued his practice. The Somerleyton estate was in practice managed by Thomas' brother, the Rev. George Anguish (1764-1843), who was a prebendary of Norwich Cathedral and lived in the Cathedral close. When Thomas died in 1810, George inherited the estate, and in 1820 he gave up his prebend and seems to have lived at Somerleyton Hall.  George was unmarried, although he did maintain a mistress in London with whom he had an illegtimate family, but when he died his heir was his nephew, Lord Sydney Godolphin Osborne (1789-1861), who promptly sold the Somerleyton estate, bringing the family's connection with it to an end.

Great Melton Hall, Great Melton, Norfolk

Great Melton Hall before abandonment in 1899.

A modest E-plan manor house of brick, built in 1611 for Thomas Anguish but altered later by the addition of bay windows on the wings, a hipped roof, and a substantial, probably early 19th century, two-storey block to the right of the original building.  Victorian photographs show the house had angle turrets on the corners of the wings. The porch had a pedimented entrance and first floor window, and a odd little hipped attic storey, perhaps suggestion it started out as a three-storey tower porch. There were two bays either side of the porch, the outer bay in each case projecting, but not as far as the wings. Chimneystacks were placed on the end walls and at the rear. 

The house was abandoned in 1899, reputedly after plans for a modernisation came to nothing, and slid into dereliction.  Most of it has now been demolished, but some brick walls remain to a height of about fifteen feet with some identifiable features, including a canted bay window. A circular early to mid 18th century brick dovecote stands near the house, and a park was formed around the house about 1770, for which roads were closed in 1768 and 1776.

Descent: estate sold 1609 to Thomas Anguish (d. 1617/8), who built the house; to son, Edmund Anguish (1574-1637); to son, John Anguish (d. 1692); to daughter, Anne Anguish, wife of John Woodhouse, who sold 1700 to Edmund Keene (d. 1723), who sold 1713 to Edward Lombe (d. 1738); to brother, Rev. John Lombe (d. 1746); to niece, Mary Lombe, wife of John Hase; to son, Sir John Lombe (nee Hase) (c.1731-1817), 1st bt.; to half-brother, Edward Lombe (fl. 1841); to kinsman, Rev. Henry Lombe of Bylaugh Park (1792-1878); to son, Rev. Henry Evans Lombe (b. 1819), who let to Capt. Edward Berkeley Mansel...; the estate remains in the Evans-Lombe family.

Somerleyton Hall, Suffolk

A full account of Somerleyton Hall can be found in my post on the Allin family of Somerleyton Hall, baronets.

Anguish family of Melton and Somerleyton

Anguish, Thomas (c.1511-54) of Foulsham (Norfolk). Son of Richard Anguish of Alderford (Norfolk) and his wife, Cecily Rix. He married Anne, daughter of Edmund Themelthorpe alias Thimblethorpe and had issue:
(1) John Anguish (1536-69) of Foulsham; married Catherine (1542-82), daughter of Thomas Townsend of Testerton (Norfolk) and had issue three sons and three daughters;
(2) Edmund Anguish (c.1537-1616) (q.v.);
(3) Thomas Anguish (c.1538-1617/8) (q.v.).
He died about 1554.

Anguish, Thomas (c.1538-1617/8) of Norwich. Youngest son of Thomas Anguish (c.1511-54) of Foulsham and his wife Anne Themelthorpe, born about 1538. Mercer of Norwich, in succession to his father-in-law; freeman, 1573; JP for Norwich; Alderman for Coslany ward, 1600-17; Sheriff of Norwich, 1595-96; Mayor of Norwich, 1611; tragically 33 people were crushed to death in a stampede at his mayoral inauguration after some fireworks exploded accidentally. With his second son he funded the provision of a new organ in Norwich Cathedral. He married, 20 February 1567/8 at St Clement, Norwich, Elizabeth Thurston (d. 1619) and had issue:
(1) John Anguish (1569-71), baptised 30 December 1569; died in infancy and was buried 25 June 1671;
(2) Edmund Anguish (1574-1657) (q.v.);
(3) Alexander Anguish (1577-79), baptised 9 March 1576/7; died in infancy and was buried 17 September 1579;
(4) John Anguish (1578-1643), baptised 25 June 1578; married Mary (1581-1640), daughter of John Aldrich and had issue four sons and two daughters; had Recusant sympathies and was charged in 1616 with attending unlicensed plays in Norwich; buried 24 April 1643;
(5) Alexander Anguish (b. 1579), baptised 11 October 1579, but died young, about 1581;
(6) Richard Anguish BD (1581-1616), baptised 10 August 1581; educated at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge (admitted 1599; BA 1603/4; MA 1607; BD 1614; Fellow 1606-16); a Proctor of the University of Cambridge, 1613; died 1616 and was commemorated by a brass in St Peter Mancroft, Norwich;
(7) Alexander Anguish (1582-1654); Alderman of Norwich; married Catherine (d. 1650), daughter of [forename unknown] Barrett and widow of Simon Davy (d. 1613), and had issue one son and one daughter; buried 26 July 1654;
(8) Cicely Anguish (1583-84), baptised 28 June 1583; died in infancy and was buried 7 November 1584;
(9) Hester Anguish (1585-1617), baptised 12 November 1585; married, 20 May 1605, Richard Mann (d. 1622) and had issue; died 1617;
(10) Margaret Anguish (1587-88), baptised 24 June 1587; died in infancy and was buried 29 August 1588;
(11) Thomas Anguish (1590-1622), baptised 12 April 1590; married Anne Smallpiece and had issue two sons; buried 14 July 1622;
(12) William Anguish (1593-1668), baptised 30 August 1593; buried 7 July 1668 at St George Tombland, Norwich.
He acquired the manor of Great Melton in 1609 and built a new house there in 1611. By his will he endowed children's hospital chairty in Norwich.
He died 26 January 1617/8 and was buried in St George Tombland, Norwich, where he is commemorated by a monument designed by Nicholas Stone. His widow died in 1619 and her will was proved at Norwich.

Anguish, Edmund (1574-1657) of Great Melton. Second son of Thomas Anguish (c.1538-1617/8) of Norwich and his wife Elizabeth Thurston, baptised 27 January 1573/4. Clerk of the Peace for Norfolk; with his father he funded the provision of a new organ in Norwich Cathedral. He married Alice Drake of Herringfleet and had issue:
(1) John Anguish (c.1612-92) (q.v.);
(2) Rev. Richard Anguish (c.1613-68); educated at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge (admitted 1629; BA 1632; MA 1636; ordained priest, 1637; rector of Starston (Norfolk), 1638-68 and Scarning (Norfolk), 1639-44; married Katherine (c.1617-78?), daughter of Richard Anguish of Moulton;
(3) Elizabeth Anguish (b. c.1615); married Thomas (1613-52), son of Richard Anguish of Moulton and had issue [see below];
(4) Thomas Anguish (b. 1618), baptised 31 December 1618;
(5) Mary Anguish (b. 1621), baptised 9 August 1621.
He inherited the Great Melton estate from his father in 1617/8.
He died in 1657, aged 84.

Anguish, John (c.1612-92) of Great Melton. Elder son of Edmund Anguish (1574-1657) and his wife Alice Drake, baptised 10 January 1613. Educated at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge (matriculated 1629) and Grays Inn (admitted 1631). He was a Royalist officer in the Civil War. He married Anne Spooner (d. 1700?) and had issue:
(1) Edmund Anguish (c.1648-94); educated at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge (admitted 1665) and Lincolns Inn (admitted 1667); died in 1694; will proved at Norwich;
(2) Anne Anguish; married, 1671, Edmund Woodhouse (fl. 1690).

He inherited the Great Melton estate from his father in 1657. In 1690 he gave it to his daughter and son-in-law and it passed out of the family.
He died 12 February 1691/92, aged 79; his will was proved at Norwich. His widow's will was proved at Norwich in 1702.

Anguish, Edmund (c.1537-1616) of Moulton St Mary. Second son of Thomas Anguish and his wife Anne Themelthorpe, born about 1537. He married, c.1570, Ann Barton and had issue:
(1) Richard Anguish (d. 1628) (q.v.);
(2) Ann Anguish (c.1575-1618); married John Peddar;
(3) Rose Anguish (b. c.1581); married, 18 November 1600, Jeffrey Cremer and had issue;
(4) Catherine Anguish (c.1582-1616); married, about November 1603, John Cremer (d. 1652/3) of Ingoldisthorpe (Norfolk) (who married 2nd, Margaret, daughter of William Boyton) but died without issue;
(5) Ellen Anguish (c.1583-1627); married, 26 June 1609 at Moulton, Richard Jenkinson (d. 1627) and had issue.
He purchased lands at Moulton (Norfolk).
He died 23 August 1616 and was buried at Moulton where he is commemorated by a monument; his will was proved at Norwich, 28 September 1616.

Anguish, Richard (d. 1628) of Moulton St Mary. Only son of Edmund Anguish (d. 1616) and his wife, Ann Barton. A Calvinist in beliefs, as is evidenced by the preamble to his will. He married Abraha (c.1580-1626), daughter of Thomas Gilbert of North Burlingham (Norfolk) and had issue:
(1) Edmund Anguish (b. & d. 1610), baptised 1 August and buried 21 November 1610;
(2) Elizabeth Anguish (1612-21), baptised 12 July 1612; died young and was buried 20 February 1621/2;
(3) Thomas Anguish (1613-52) (q.v.);
(4) Edmund Anguish (1614-16), baptised 20 November 1614; died in infancy, November 1616;
(5) Abraha Anguish (1615-16), baptised 10 November 1615; died in infancy and was buried 1 September 1616;
(6) Katherine Anguish (1617-78?), baptised 8 May 1617; married, 25 November 1633, Rev. Richard Anguish (c.1613-68), rector of Starston (Norfolk), and had issue; possibly the person of this name who was buried at Moulton, 22 November 1678.
He inherited the family property at Moulton from his father in 1616.
He died 15 February 1627/8 and was buried at Moulton where he is commemorated by a monument; his will was proved at Norwich, leaving the wardship of his two surviving children to his cousin, Edmund Anguish (1574-1657) (q.v.), who arranged their marriages to his own children. His wife died 18 December 1626 and was buried at Moulton.

Anguish, Thomas (1613-52) of Moulton St Mary. Elder son of Richard Anguish (d. 1628) and his wife Audrey Gilbert, baptised 18 July 1613. Educated at Aylsham Grammar School, Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge (admitted 1630/1) and Grays Inn (admitted 1632). He married, about 1633, his cousin, Elizabeth, daughter of Edmund Anguish of Melton (q.v.), and had issue:
(1) Alice Anguish (b. 1634; fl. 1659), baptised 21 November 1634; married, between 1652 and 1659, Augustine Castell (d. 1673) of Raveningham and had issue;
(2) Edmund Anguish (1637-99) (q.v.);
(3) Anne Anguish (b. 1640; fl. 1663), baptised 7 July 1640; married John Smith;
(4) Richard Anguish (1644-71), baptised 7 March 1644; died unmarried and without issue, 1670/1; will proved in the PCC, 4 February 1670/71;
(5) Elizabeth Anguish (b. 1645), baptised 12 December 1645; married, 1682, as his second wife, Sir Thomas Allin (1612-85), 1st bt. [see Allin of Somerleyton Hall];
(6) Mary Anguish (b. 1647; fl. 1652), baptised 13 December 1647; perhaps the person of this name who married, 17 April 1667 at Wramplingham (Norfolk), Robert Purtt;
(7) Katherine Anguish (1650-1725?), baptised 23 July 1650; possibly the spinster of this name whose will was proved at Norwich in 1725.
He inherited the family property at Moulton from his father in 1627/8.
He was buried 12 October 1652; his will was proved in the PCC, 28 June 1653. His widow married 2nd, Talmach Castell of Raveningham; she died after 1670/1.

Anguish, Edmund (1637-99). Second son of Thomas Anguish (1613-52) and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Edmund Anguish of Melton (q.v.), born 1637. Educated at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge (admitted 1653). He married, 11 June 1663 at Lowestoft (Suffolk), Alice (1642-98), daughter of Admiral Sir Thomas Allin (1612-85), 1st bt. by his first wife, and had issue:
(1) Thomas Anguish (b. 1663), baptised 22 March 1663; died young;
(2) Allin Anguish (1665-85), baptised 29 June 1665; educated at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge (admitted 1681); died unmarried and was buried at St Dunstan-in-the-East, London, 3 December 1685;
(3) Parthenia Anguish (b. & d. 1667), baptised 22 August 1667; died in infancy and was buried 12 November 1667;
(4) Sir Richard Anguish (later Allin) (c.1669-1725), 1st bt., from whom the Allins of Somerleyton Hall were descended;
(5) Edmund Anguish (c. 1672-1708) (q.v.).
He inherited the family property at Moulton from his father in 1652. At his death it passed to his elder surviving son, Sir Richard Anguish, and thereafter descended with the Somerleyton estate.
He died in 1699. His wife died in 1698.

Anguish, Edmund (c.1672-1707). Second but eldest surviving son of Edmund Anguish (1637-99) and his wife Alice, daughter of Admiral Sir Thomas Allin, 1st bt., baptised 30 April 1672. Attorney-at-law. He married, 29 December 1698 at Thorington (Suffolk), Mary, daughter of William Betts of Yoxford (Suffolk), and had issue:
(1) Thomas Anguish (b. & d. 1699); died in infancy;
(2) Rev. Thomas Anguish (c.1700-63) (q.v.);
(3) Mary Anguish (1701-75) of Beccles, baptised 8 April 1701; died unmarried and was buried at Moulton, 1 November 1775;
(4) Edmund Anguish (1702-58); Paymaster of Exchequer Bills, 1744-58; married, about December 1741, Rebecca Betts (1721-1809) and had issue four sons and three daughters; buried 6 July 1758 at Hampstead;
(5) Barbary Anguish (1703-04), baptised 23 May 1703; died in infancy and was buried 10 May 1704;
(6) Dorothy Anguish (1704-65); married, 31 March 1741 at Ellough (Suffolk), Rev. Thomas Symonds (d. 1748), rector of Ellough.
He was buried at Moulton, 22 July 1707. His wife died before 1707.

Anguish, Rev. Thomas (c.1700-63). Eldest surviving son of Edmund Anguish (c.1672-1707) and his wife Mary, daughter of William Betts of Yoxford, born about 1700. Educated at Bishops Stortford School (Herts) and Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge (admitted 1716; BA 1719/20; MA 1723); Fellow of Corpus Christi College, 1722-23. Ordained deacon, 1722 and priest, 1723; curate of Barsham (Suffolk); rector of Halesworth (Suffolk), 1724-36 and Weston (Suffolk), 1727-36; vicar of St Nicholas, Deptford (Kent), 1737-62; published four sermons, 1732-61. He married 1st, 7 May 1723 at Westhall (Suffolk), Mary Elmy of Beccles and 2nd, about February 1753, Hannah Taylor (c.1713-65) of Henham (Essex) and had issue (perhaps among others):
(1.1) Thomas Anguish (1724-85) (q.v.);

(1.2) Edmund Anguish (d. 1735); died young and was buried at Halesworth, 9 October 1735;
(1.3) William Anguish (d. 1728); died in infancy and was buried at Halesworth, 25 April 1728;
(2.1) Mary Anguish (fl. 1765);
(2.2) Ann Anguish (fl. 1765).
He died 23/24 April 1763 and was buried at Deptford, 27 April 1763. His first wife died before 1753. His widow was buried 12 September 1765 at St Nicholas, Deptford.

Anguish, Thomas (1724-85) of Hanwell. Only surviving son of Rev. Thomas Anguish (c.1700-63) and his first wife Mary Elmy of Beccles, baptised 18 March 1724. Educated at Bury St Edmunds Grammar School (Suffolk), Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge (admitted 1742; BA 1745/6) and Lincolns Inn (admitted 1743 though not recorded until 1746/7; called to the bar; bencher). Barrister-at-law; Master in Chancery; Accountant-General of the Court of Chancery and Chief Commissioner of Public Accounts (the first professional auditor of the Government accounts). Fellow of the Royal Society, 1766 and the Society of Antiquaries. He married, 19 January 1758 at Garboldisham (Norfolk), Sarah (1727-1807), daughter of Henry Host Henley of Leigh (Somerset) and Sandringham Hall (Norfolk) and had issue:
(1) Thomas Anguish (c.1760-1810) of Somerleyton Hall; educated at Eton and Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge (admitted 1777; BA 1781) and Lincolns Inn (admitted 1776; called to the bar, 1786). He inherited the Somerleyton estate from Sir Thomas Allin (d. 1794), 4th bt.; was unmarried and without issue; became insane in 1790 and was confined in the care of Dr. Willis of Greatford (Lincs); died 5 August 1810 and was buried at Moulton;
(2) Catherine Anguish (1763?-1837), Duchess of Leeds (q.v.)
(3) Rev. George Anguish (1764-1843) (q.v.);
(4) Anne Anguish (1765-1826), baptised 12 June 1765; died unmarried and was buried at Hanwell, 25 July 1826;
(5) Maria Anguish (1766-1814), born 18 May and baptised 14 June 1766; died unmarried, 29 October 1814 and was buried at Hanwell;
(6) Charlotte Anguish (1767-1810), baptised 21 November 1767; died unmarried and was buried at Hanwell, 28 September 1810;
(7) Charles Anguish alias Clarke (1769-97), born 13 February and baptised 15 March 1769; a noted early cricketer and member of the MCC, playing in forty major matches, 1788-95; Comptroller of Customs at Cape of Good Hope, 1797; died unmarried there, 25 May 1797; his obituary in the Gentleman's Magazine recorded that "he was a young man of abilities and of a good temper, but with so odd a cast of manners that he was perpetually on the brink of a quarrel, even with those who knew his intentions were quite harmless, and could make every allowance for his peculiarities";
(8) Isabella Anguish (1770-88), baptised 28 December 1770.
He lived chiefly at Great Russell St., Bloomsbury, London, but inherited property at Moulton St Mary from his father, which passed to his son Thomas. He also purchased a house and about 30 acres at Brent End (later Brent Lodge) Hanwell (Middx) which was left for the support of his widow and unmarried daughters and sold in 1789, and lands in the West Country and at Oulton and Somerley (Suffolk) which were sold or mortgaged after his death to pay legacies.
He died 31 December 1785 and was buried at Hanwell (Middx), 6 January 1786, where he was commemorated by a monument in the churchyard; his will was proved 11 January 1786. His widow died 3 January and was buried 8 January 1807; her will was proved 27 February 1807.

Anguish, Rev. George (1764-1843) of Somerleyton Hall. Second son of Thomas Anguish (1724-85) and his wife Sarah Henley, born 7 February and baptised 15 March 1764. Educated at Eton and Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge (admitted 1781; BA 1786; MA 1789). Ordained deacon, 1786 and priest, 1788. Curate of Spexhall (Suffolk), 1786-88; vicar of Moulton with Tunstall (Norfolk), 1788-1813 and of Potter Heigham (Norfolk), 1789-1803; prebendary of Norwich Cathedral, 1790-1820; rector of Gisleham (Suffolk), 1797-1833, Ashby, 1803-10 and Lound, 1810-16. He was unmarried and without issue, but by his will made a provision of £20,000 from his estate for Elizabeth Jeffries, who was presumably his mistress, and her illegitimate son and two daughters, who were presumably his children.
He inherited the Somerleyton Hall estate from his brother in 1810. At his death it passed to his nephew, Lord Sydney Godolphin Osborne (1789-1861) (q.v.).
He died in London, 5 July 1843; his will was proved 31 August 1843.

Anguish, Catherine (c.1763-1837), Duchess of Leeds. Eldest daughter of Thomas Anguish (1724-85) and his wife Sarah Henley, supposedly born 21 January 1764 [but probably 1763]. A skilfull musician, winning her husband 'by her peculiar taste and skill in music'; Mistress of the Robes to Queen Adelaide, 1830-37. She married (as his second wife), 11 October 1788 at Hanwell, Francis Godolphin Osborne (1751-99), then Marquess of Carmarthen but later 5th Duke of Leeds, and had issue:
(1) Lord Sydney Godolphin Osborne (1789-1861) (q.v.);
(2) Lady Catherine Anne Sarah Godolphin Osborne (1798-1878); married, 1819, Capt. John Whyte Melville (1797-1883) and had issue one son and two daughters; died 23 December 1878.
She died 8 October 1837.

Osborne, Lord Sidney Godolphin (1789-1861) of Bartrams, Hampstead (Middx). Only son of Francis Godolphin Osborne, 5th Duke of Leeds, and his wife Catherine, daughter of Thomas Anguish, born 16 December 1789. Educated at Eton and Christ Church, Oxford. He was unmarried and without issue.
He lived at Bartrams, Hampstead (Middx). He inherited the Somerleyton Hall estate from his mother's brother, Rev. George Anguish (1764-1843) in 1843 but sold it the following year.
He died 15 April 1861; his will was proved 2 May 1861 (estate under £200,000).


Burke's Extinct and Dormant Baronetcies, 2nd edn, 1841, pp. 4-5; M. Reynolds, Godly reformers and their opponents in early Modern England: religion in Norwich, c.1560-1643, 2005, pp. 203-05; J.W. Henley, "For ‘the younge and very poore children of Norwich’: A Study of Anguish’s Children’s Hospital", MA dissertation, 2008; Norfolk Historic Environment Record 9277.

Location of archives

Anguish family of Moulton and Great Melton: some records will be found among the papers of the Evans-Lombe family of Bylaugh Hall, who bought the Melton estate in 1700. [Norfolk Record Office, EVL]
Anguish family of Somerleyton: deeds, legal and estate papers, 17th-19th cents. [Suffolk Record Office, Lowestoft, HA236]; manorial and estate records, 14th-19th cents. [Suffolk Record Office, Lowestoft, HB6].

Coat of arms

Gules, a cinquefoil pierced or. [The same coat of arms as was used by the Allin family of Somerleyton].

Sunday 5 October 2014

(143) Angerstein of Weeting Hall and Woodlands House, Greenwich

The Angerstein dynasty owed its wealth and status entirely to the activities of John Julius Angerstein (c.1732-1832), who was born in St. Petersburg about 1732.  He seems to have been the illegitimate son of a British merchant and a German doctor's wife, although family tradition asserted that his mother was Empress Anna of Russia. He came to England in the late 1740s and initially entered his father's business, but by 1756 he was working as a marine insurance broker, and he was later one of those principally responsible for establishing the Lloyds of London shipping insurance market on a modern basis. His insurance business made him seriously rich, and he applied the proceeds to the purchase of landed estates, the acquisition of an art collection which after his death was purchased for the nation and formed the nucleus of the National Gallery collection, and philanthropic works.  His main estate purchases were the small Woodlands estate at Greenwich (Kent), where he built a villa as a summer residence, and the Weeting and Brandon estates on the Norfolk/Suffolk border. However he also acquired land in Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire, much of which was sold after his death. 

His son, John Angerstein (1773-1858), seems to have had no interest in business but was a traditional landed gentleman, sitting as an MP in the 1790s and again in the 1830s, and serving as High Sheriff of Norfolk. During his lifetime the family seem to have remained reasonably prosperous, but over the next two generations the expectation of riches and a life of ease seem to have led many of the sons in particular into financial difficulties and bankruptcy. John's heir was the unmarried Lt-Gen. John Julius Angerstein (1800-66), who remained solvent but spent heavily on his passion for horses. His next brother, Frederick Angerstein (1809-86) had a disastrous career and was twice bankrupted; he was disinherited in favour of the youngest brother, William Angerstein (1811-97), who was most in his father's mould as a traditional gentleman. His skill with money does not seem to have been much greater than his brothers, however, and the combination of the Agricultural Depression of the 1880s and the need to pay off the debts of several of his sons finally exhausted John Julius' legacy. By the time he died in 1897 the Weeting estate was mortgaged to the Norwich Union Insurance Company, and the library and some of the family pictures had been sold; the Insurance Company took possession of the estates and sold Brandon in 1898 and Weeting in 1901. William's heir was his grandson, Julius Henry William Angerstein (1872-1944), who had emigrated to New Zealand in 1888 after his parents' divorce. He came back to England only for long enough to settle his grandfather's estate, and then returned to New Zealand; he had only one son, who died unmarried in 1948.  The only one of William Angerstein's descendants who maintained the family's gentry status into the 20th century was his son, John Richard Julius Angerstein (1845-1925), who, perhaps with his wife's money, bought Holbrook House, Charlton Horethorne (Somerset) in 1903 after Weeting Hall was sold, and remodelled it, reputedly to the designs of Sir Reginald Blomfield. His widow continued to live at Holbrook until 1945 when that too was sold.

Weeting Hall, Norfolk

Weeting Hall c.1934: entrance front. Image: Matthew Beckett.

In the 1740s the landscape around Weeting was a sandy wasteland, dotted with warrener's lodges. In 1756 Charles Henry Coote (1725-1802), 7th and last Earl of Mountrath, bought a house and land here and quickly built up the estate so that by 1770, he held over 5,000 acres. It seems likely that Lord Mountrath felt the original house was no longer adequate for such a large estate, and letters from 1780 record the sending down of craftsmen from London to the finish work on rebuilding or remodelling the house; no architect for the works is known. The sale particulars of 1804 describe the house as 'a noble, modern built, freehold mansion' of local white bricks, and it seems likely that what was built at this time was the seven-bay block of two storeys over a high basement which formed the core of the later house.  

When J.J. Angerstein bought the estate in 1805-08, there were proposals for the demolition of the house, but this did not happen, and it was let instead until John Angerstein inherited in 1823 and took up residence. Little is known about any improvements made to the house during the century it was owned by the Angersteins, but after they sold it c.1901 it was refaced in red brick with stone dressings, and given large additional service accommodation as part of a large-scale renovation for Thomas Skarratt Hall. 

Weeting Hall: garden front, showing the large service wing added c.1900. Image: Matthew Beckett.

In 1926 the house was sold to the Ministry of Labour for use as a residential work camp to train and condition unemployed men for a new life in agriculture in the Commonwealth, usually in Canada or Australia. By 1929, high unemployment in the destination countries meant that demand for the trainees collapsed and the centre was redesignated as an Instructional Centre, though the work remained largely the same. During World War II Weeting Hall became a hospital for wounded Indian and Gurkha soldiers and was also a holding camp for the 1st Bn. The Rifle Brigade in the lead up to the Normandy landings. Following the war, the house and grounds were used to accomodate people displaced by the war until the early 1950s; the house was demolished in 1954 when no further use could be found for it.  The site of the hall and the immediate parkland were built over with a large housing estate, during the construction of which some unusually large sewer tunnels were found under the site of the house and orangery.

Descent: sold 1756 to Charles Henry Coote (1725-1802), 7th Earl of Mountrath; to first cousin once removed, Orlando Bridgeman (1762-1825), 1st Earl of Bradford; sold 1805-08 to John Julius Angerstein (c.1732-1823); to son, John Angerstein (1773-1858); to son, Lt-Gen. John Julius Angerstein (1800-66); to brother, William Angerstein (1811-97); to son, Julius William Angerstein (fl. 1901) who sold 1901 to Thomas Skarratt Hall (d. 1903); to widow, who sold 1917 to Sir James Calder; sold 1926 to HM Government.

Woodlands House, Greenwich, Kent

Woodlands House in 1795, from an old engraving.

Woodlands House from a watercolour by George Heriot, c.1790.
A neo-classical villa, originally built c.1774-76 by the local architect George Gibson for John Julius Angerstein (c.1732-1823) on a 41-acre plot. As first built it was a five-bay two-storey house of brick faced with Liardet's stucco, in which a decorative cornice was moulded, and with a mansard roof.  The porticoed entrance front faced east and was windowless apart from a thermal window, but had two niches containing statues of Apollo and a dancing faun, with bas-reliefs in roundels above them.  It was described in Lysons' Environs of London thus:
Woodlands, the seat of John Julius Angerstein, Esq... occupies a situation uncommonly beautiful. The surrounding scenery is very picturesque; and the distant view of the river, and the Essex shore, is broken with good effect by the plantations near the house. The grounds were laid out, and the house built about the year 1772, by the present proprietor, who has a small but valuable collection of pictures... The greenhouse is to be remarked for its collection of heaths.
About 1800, when he had become much wealthier and was spending more time at the estate, Angerstein added a west wing which destroyed the original symmetry but made the house more viable as a full-time residence. In 1818, when he had become infirm and needed ground-floor rooms, he added an east wing and filled in the portico to make the house warmer. The north front became the entrance front and was faced in Portland stone and given an elegant Ionic porch.  Two shallow bow windows were added to the south front, and a new conservatory was built to accommodate plants from China and South Africa.

The estate was sold in 1876 for development, and Mycenae Road was constructed right in front of the house, necessitating the demolition of the east wing.  The whole house was nearly lost, but William Bristow of the development company decided to live in it himself, and it was probably he who refaced the south and east fronts in Portland stone. By 1906 most of the grounds had been developed and it was no longer a desirable private residence; during the First World War it became a hostel for Belgian refugees. It became a convent in 1923 and the west wing was largely replaced by new convent buildings; for an image of the house in 1966 see here.  In 1967 the house was bought by the local council for use as a local history library and art gallery and restored, but the library moved in 2003 and the art gallery subsequently closed.  After falling into a derelict condition, the house was leased to the Greenwich Steiner School and restored.

Woodlands House in 2012. Image: Paul Wilkinson. Licenced under this Creative Commons licence.

Descent: built for John Julius Angerstein (c.1732-1823); to son, John Angerstein (1773-1858); to son, Lt-Gen. John Julius Angerstein (1800-66); to brother, William Angerstein (1811-97), who sold 1876 to Westcombe Estate Co.; sold 1895 to Sir Alfred Fernandez Yarrow (1842-1932), 1st bt.... sold 1923 to Little Sisters of the Assumption; sold 1967 to London Borough of Greenwich.

Angerstein family of Weeting Hall

John Julius Angerstein
by Sir Thomas Lawrence
Angerstein, John Julius (c.1732-1823) of Woodlands House.  Born in Russia in obscure circumstances, he appears to have been the illegitimate offspring of Andrew Poulett Thompson, a British merchant, and Eva Pritzen Angerstein, the wife of a German surgeon, Johan Heinrich Angerstein, although family tradition asserted more glamorously that his mother was the Empress Anna of Russia (1693-1740). He moved to London in 1749 when he is said to have been aged fifteen, and he was employed initially in his father's counting-house. By 1756 he was working in the marine insurance business and by 1770, when he became a naturalised British subject, he was well established as a broker, with an office in Cornhill, London; he continued in the industry until he retired in 1810 or 1811. In 1771 he was one of the subscribers to a New Lloyd's Coffee House, and in 1773 led the negotiations with the Gresham Trustees for the lease of rooms in the Royal Exchange to Lloyds; he was on the committee of Lloyds, 1786-96 and chaired at least one meeting in 1795. Angerstein built a substantial personal fortune from his business activities, which he employed in supporting philanthropic causes and building an important art collection, with the advice of Sir Thomas Lawrence and others. At Lloyd's his initiative led to the establishment of the Lifeboat Fund to provide grants for construction of lifeboats.  He also supported the Veterinary College. After his death, the proposed sale of his art collection stimulated the foundation of the National Gallery, and 38 works from his collection, including major works by Raphael, Sebastiano del Piombo, Rembrandt, Rubens, Van Dyck, Titian, Claude Lorrain, Poussin, Velazquez and Hogarth's Marriage a la mode sequence, were acquired from his estate for £57,000 as one of the foundation collections. His town house at 100 Pall Mall was leased from his executors and opened to the public as the National Gallery in 1824. The family pictures, including works by Sir Joshua Reynolds and Sir Thomas Lawrence remained with the family until 1896. He married 1st, 31 May 1771 at St Peter-le-Poer, London, Anna (c.1733-83), daughter of Henry Muliman and widow of Charles Crockett, and 2nd, about October 1785, Eliza (c.1748-1800), daughter of Rev. Joseph Payne of Buckland Newton and widow of Thomas Lucas of Lee (Kent), and had issue:
(1.1) Juliana Angerstein (1772-1846), baptised 18 June 1772; married, 1804 at St James, Westminster, Gen. Nicholas Sabloukoff (d. 1849) of the Russia Service, who became bankrupt in 1820; died 13 December 1846; will proved in the PCC, 18 March 1847;
(1.2) John Angerstein (1773-1856) (q.v.).
He lived at 100 Pall Mall, London, and built Woodlands House, Greenwich as a country retreat, c.1774-76. In 1805-08 he purchased the Weeting Hall estate in Norfolk for his descendants, though he himself never lived there and let it to Sir Richard Sutton.
He died at Woodlands, 22 January 1823 and was buried at St. Alphege, Greenwich. His first wife died 19 June 1783, and his second 8 March 1800. They are all commemorated by a monument at St. Alphege. His will was proved in the PCC, February 1823.

Angerstein, John (1773-1858) of Weeting Hall. Only son of John Julius Angerstein (c.1732-1823) and his first wife, Anna, daughter of Henry Muliman and widow of Charles Crockett, born 28 October 1773. MP for Camelford, 1796-1802 and Greenwich, 1835-37; High Sheriff of Norfolk, 1831. He married, 2 October 1799, Amelia (1777-1848), daughter of William Lock of Norbury Park (Surrey), and had issue:
(1) Lt-Gen. John Julius William Angerstein (1800-66); educated at Eton and Sandhurst; served in Grenadier Guards (Captain, 1825; Lt-Gen. 1862); JP and DL for Norfolk; an enthusiastic horseman, he purchased Napoleon's horse 'Marengo' and maintained studs at Newmarket and Weeting; he died unmarried, 23 April and was buried at Weeting, 1 May 1866; will proved 23 February 1867 (estate under £18,000);
(2) Caroline Amelia Angerstein (1802-79), baptised 31 July 1802; married, 20 August 1841, Rev. Charles Manners Richard Norman (1800-73), vicar of Northwold (Norfolk); died without issue, 27 February 1879; will proved 4 April 1879 (estate under £30,000);
(3) Elizabeth Julia Angerstein (1804-70); married, 12 July 1828, Capt. Richard Freeman Rowley (1806-54), son of Adm. Sir Charles Rowley, 1st bt. and had issue seven sons and two daughters; died 18 February and was buried at Weeting, 24 February 1870;
(4) Henry Frederick Angerstein (1805-21); educated at Eton, but drowned there, 26 March 1821;
(5) George Anderstein (b. & d. 1808); buried 15 April 1808, aged 3 months;
(6) Frederick Angerstein (1809-86); ensign in 44th Foot, 1831-33; later a partner (possibly a sleeping partner) in a London business making atmospheric clocks; bankrupted 1860 and 1869; married 1st, 21 February 1833 at St James, Westminster, Charlotte Sophia (d. 1863), daughter of Andrew Thomas Blayney, 11th Baron Blayney of Castle Blayney and had issue, and 2nd, 15 April 1878 at St Pancras (Middx), Dorothea (d. 1896), daughter of Thomas Williams, barrister-at-law; died 30 October 1886;
(7) William Angerstein (1811-97) (q.v.).
He inherited Woodlands House and Weeting Hall from his father in 1823. At his death they passed first to his eldest son, and on his death in 1866 to his youngest son.
He died 8 April 1858; his will was proved 2 July and 30 December 1858 (estate under £300,000). His wife died 1 April 1848.

Angerstein, William (1811-97) of Weeting Hall. Youngest son but eventual heir of John Angerstein (1773-1858) and his wife Amelia, daughter of William Lock, born 1811. MP for Greenwich, 1859-65; JP and DL for Kent, JP for Norfolk; High Sheriff of Norfolk, 1872; Master of Norfolk Staghounds, 1872-76. He married, 1842, Mary Ann (1824-87), daughter of William Nettleship of Cheltenham (Glos) and had issue:
(1) William John Nettleship Angerstein (1843-92) (q.v.); 
(2) John Richard Julius Angerstein (1845-1925) of Holbrook House (Somerset), born 29 November and baptised 19 December 1845; JP for Norfolk and Suffolk; bought Holbrook House, 1903 and remodelled it to the designs of Sir Reginald Blomfield; married, 27 October 1892, Georgiana Burton (1863-1945) and had issue three daughters; died 5 March 1925; will proved 30 April 1925 (estate £97,837);
(3) Amelia Mary Ann Angerstein (1847-66), born 15 March and baptised 5 July 1847; died unmarried, 1866;
(4) Julius Charles Frederick Angerstein (1848-92), born 2 November 1848 and baptised 7 August 1849; lieutenant in Grenadier Guards, 1869-71; bankrupted, 1871; emigrated to New Zealand, where he married, 27 March 1880 at Dunedin Cathedral (div. 1889), Eleanor Mary Hackworth (1862-1912) and had issue three children of whom only one daughter survived; died 1892;
(5) Julia Augusta Angerstein (1852-1936); married, 10 September 1886 at St. Alphege, Greenwich, Canon John Francis Kendall (1862-1931), son of John Kendall, farmer, and had issue six children; died 8 November 1936; will proved 27 January 1937 (estate £297);
(6) Frederica Caroline Angerstein (1855-1926) of Brandon Hall (Suffolk); married, 1880, Robert Francis Burton (1840-1903) and had issue one son; died 7/11 November 1926; will proved 15 December 1926 (estate £27,939).
In 1862 he was leasing Quenby Hall (Leics). He inherited Woodlands House and Weeting Hall from his elder brother in 1866, but gave up the lease of Woodlands House in 1870. He eventually ran out of money, mortgaged the Weeting estates to the hilt and sold pictures and the library (in 1896).
He died 31st May 1897; no will has been traced for him.  His wife died in 1887.

Angerstein, William John Nettleship (1843-92). Eldest son and heir apparent of his father, William Angerstein (1811-97) and his wife Mary Anne Nettleship, born 18 September 1843 and baptised 14 August 1844. He lived beyond his means and appears to have been chronically inept at managing money; he was repeatedly bankrupted or sequestrated in 1874, 1882 and 1886; was tried at Leicester Assizes for defrauding a horse dealer, 1880 although the charge was withdrawn; and his reversionary life interest in the Weeting estate was first mortgaged and later sold to his father. He married, 22 February 1868, Augusta Frances Anne (1845-1922), daughter of Sir Henry Ainslie Hoare, 5th bt., but his wife divorced him in 1887 on grounds of adultery and cruelty (she married 2nd, 1894, Col. J. St. Aubyn Hastie (d. 1901)); they had issue:
(1) Mary Augusta Penelope Angerstein (1869-1947); married, 22 October 1897 at Malabon, Bombay (India), Col. Herbert Capel Cure DSO (1859-1909), son of Robert Capel Cure of Blake Hall; died at Srinagar, Kashmir (India), 6 June 1947; will proved 30 January 1948 (estate £4,703 in England);
(2) Leila Caroline Angerstein (1870-1949); married 1st, 1897, Charles Fleetwood Hesketh (c.1869-1919) and had issue; and 2nd, 17 December 1924 at Richmond (Surrey), Alfred Charles Craw (1875-1930), commercial traveller; died 1949;
(3) Zoe Julia Angerstein (1871-1940); married, 2 June 1896, Col. Edmond Merceron Burton (1860-1948) and had issue three sons and two daughters; died 29 December 1940; will proved 26 June 1941 (estate £589);
(4) Julius Henry William Angerstein (1872-1944) (q.v.);
He died in the lifetime of his father, 23 February 1892. 

Angerstein, Julius Henry William (1872-1944). Only son of William John Nettleship Angerstein and his wife Augusta Frances Ann, daughter of Sir Henry Hoare, born 2 December 1872. He emigrated to New Zealand in 1888, shortly after his parents' divorce. He married Caroline Elizabeth Guthery (b. 1875) and had issue:
(1) John Eric Royal Angerstein (1901-48); died unmarried in New Zealand.
He inherited the Weeting Hall estate from his father in 1897 but immediately obliged by the mortgagors to put it up for sale; it was finally sold in 1901.
He died 5 August 1944.


Burke's Landed Gentry, 1898, vol. 1, p. 23 (contains errors); Oxford Dictionary of National Biography entry on John Julius Angerstein; B. Cherry & Sir N. Pevsner, The buildings of England: London 2: South, 1983, p. 249; D. Clarke, The country houses of Norfolk: pt 2: the lost houses, 2008, pp. 98-101; C. Knight, London's Country Houses, 2009, pp. 348-49.

Location of archives

Angerstein family of Woodlands House and Weeting Hall: deeds, estate and legal papers, 1591-1945 [London Metropolitan Archives, F/ANG]
Angerstein, John Julius (c.1732-1823): correspondence with Sir Thomas Lawrence [Royal Academy of Arts, LAW]

Coat of arms

Azure, on a mount in base vert, a cubical stone in perspective, argent, in the dexter canton a sun in splendour.

Revision and acknowledgements

This post was first published 5th October 2014 and was updated 10th January 2016.