|Andrew(s) family of Denton, baronets|
In this account I have traced the family from Thomas Andrew (d. 1530) of Charwelton, who married twice. The eldest son by his first wife, Thomas Andrew (d. 1541), inherited the Charwelton estate, while the eldest son of his second wife, Richard Andrew (c.1496-1539), was given one of the manors of Harlestone, which Thomas senior had bought in 1500. From these two sons sprang the two main lines of the family. The Harlestone estate descended from father to son through five generations, down to Robert Andrew (d. 1674). In the Civil War they were strong Calvinists and Parliamentarians, and Thomas Andrew (c.1645-1722), the nephew who inherited in 1674, was a Whig MP for Higham Ferrers and later for Northampton. The line ended, however, with Robert Andrew (d. 1739), who rebuilt the house in the 1720s in the manner of Francis Smith, but died childless, leaving the house to his infant godson, a descendant of the Charwelton branch of the family.
Thomas Andrew (d. 1541) of Charwelton was succeeded by his son, Sir Thomas Andrew (d. 1564), who like his grandfather married twice, and confusingly christened the eldest son of both his marriages Thomas. The elder, Thomas Andrew (c.1541-94), inherited the Charwelton estate and also Winwick Manor, which his father bought, and where he built a new manor house in the 1560s which became his principal seat. The two estates passed to his son, Sir Eusebius Andrew (c.1579-1619), who sold Winwick in the 1610s, and Charwelton descended to his son, Edward Andrew (fl. 1646), who however sold it before the Civil War.
The other Thomas Andrew (d. 1609) inherited property at Longdon Travers in Tredington (Warks) and also the manor of Ilmington (Warks) which his father had bought in 1550. They passed to his son, Sir John Andrew alias Andrewes (fl. 1603-49), who sold Ilmington in 1613 and Longdon in 1634, and lived mainly in London. This branch of the family seem to have been Roman Catholics, and were fined at intervals for their recusancy. Sir John's first wife brought him an estate at Creaton (Northants) which for three generations, down to John Andrew (1698-1766) was the core property of his descendants. In 1739, however, Robert Andrew (d. 1739) of Harlestone bequeathed the much grander Harlestone estate to John's infant son, Robert Andrew (c.1739-1807), and in 1753 John himself bought the other main manor of Harlestone to extend and consolidate the estate. When Robert came of age he further improved the property, conducting enclosures at Creaton in 1783 and Great Addington in 1806. His son, Robert Andrew (1770-1831) was already a childless widower when he inherited the estate, but he immediately embarked on a substantial remodelling of the house at Harlestone and the laying out of the grounds to designs by Humphry Repton: perhaps he had thoughts of attracting a second wife? The works at Harlestone are perhaps one sign of an extravagant lifestyle, but at all events his debts grew rapidly. By the mid 1820s they amounted to £85,000 and were becoming impossible to service. Accordingly, in 1824 he vested all his estates in his brother-in-law as a trustee for their sale. An initial sale of land at Crick realised some £15,000 but in 1829 the decision was taken to sell Harlestone itself. After protracted negotiations, a price of £135,000 was agreed for the estate with Earl Spencer, whose Althorp estate was closely adjacent. Robert Andrew died before the sale went through, but it was completed after his death, ending the family's long record as Northamptonshire landowners.
A younger son of Robert Andrew (c.1543-1604) of Harlestone, Sir William Andrew (1577-1649), was created a baronet in 1641. He married into property at Denton (Northants), and despite being a Roman Catholic became a benefactor of the church there. Two of his sons in turn inherited the baronetcy, and there is a story to the effect that three more were killed fighting for the King at the battle of Worcester, although this seems not credible. What is certain is that two of the daughters of Sir William Andrew (c.1620-84), 3rd bt., became nuns at Bruges, while another married into the leading Catholic family, the Petres. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd baronets perhaps lived chiefly in London, but Sir Francis Andrew(s) (d. 1759), the 4th bt., gradually built up scattered estates at Pudding Norton (Norfolk), Hildersham (Cambs) and Rotherthorpe (Northants) by a combination of inheritance and purchase. He lived to a great age, perhaps over 90, but when he finally died his only surviving son was a lunatic and unfit to control property. He accordingly left his estates to his elder daughter, Bridget (c.1698-1783), the wife of Philip Southcote of Wooburn Farm, between Chertsey and Weybridge. Philip was himself from an Essex family with a proud Catholic heritage, but is known to posterity as one of the creators of the ferme ornée, exemplified in the grounds at Wooburn Farm. He died in 1758 and left the estate to Bridget, who carefully preserved it until her own death, when Wooburn Farm and the Andrew estates were left to her kinsman, the 9th Lord Petre. The baronetcy expired with the death of her lunatic brother, Sir William Andrew, 5th bt., in 1804.
Charwelton Manor House, Northamptonshire
|Charwelton Manor House (also known as Church House and Charwelton House), about 1897. Image: English Heritage|
The house stands in an isolated position adjoining the parish church, but the surrounding fields are filled with the humps and bumps of a deserted village, cleared away in the late 15th century when the manor was turned over to sheep-farming, and of a set of fishponds fed from the nearby River Cherwell. The present manor house is an attractive early 18th century ironstone building with a front of five bays and two storeys and a hipped roof. The placing of two ranges of outbuildings at right-angles to and either side of the facade give the fortuitous appearance of a Palladian composition. Inside, a good deal has been re-used from the predecessor house, including early 16th century panelling with the initials and coat of arms of Sir Thomas Andrew and his wife Katharine (d. 1555), and a fine frieze with fantastic beasts and hunting scenes. The back-stairs have serpentine splat-balusters and are probably early 17th century. The 18th century main staircase stands in a stone-flagged staircase hall and has carved tread-ends and a wreathed and ramped handrail, and the drawing room has 18th century panelling with fluted Doric pilasters. The house was used as the rectory by several generations of the Knightley family, who were squarsons here for well over a century.
Descent: Thomas Andrew (d. 1530); to son, Thomas Andrew (d. 1541); to son, Sir Thomas Andrew (d. 1564); to son, Thomas Andrew (c.1541-94); to son, Eusebius Andrews (c.1579- 1619); sold after his death to John Ball of Hellidon...Rev. Richard Knightley (c.1703-77); to son, Rev. Giles Knightley (c.1732-1804); to son, Rev. Thomas Knightley (c.1756-1805)...to Rev. Sir Valentine Knightley (1812-98), 4th bt.
Winwick Manor House, Northamptonshire
A new manor house at Winwick was perhaps first planned by Sir Thomas Andrews (d. 1564), whose will mentions 'timbers, bricks and stones' at Winwick, and was no doubt completed by his son Thomas Andrews (c.1541-94), who was living at Winwick by 1574 and possibly by 1569.
|Winwick Manor House from the outer court. Image: Tim Heaton. Licenced under this Creative Commons licence.|
The house stands at the top of a gentle valley north of the church. The entrance front faced south-west and had a long sloping forecourt with a narrow stable range on one side, connected to the house by a diapered brick wall; a similar brick wall on the other side of the court may be the front wall of a demolished service range. The forecourt is divided into inner and outer courts by a wall with a rather rustic triumphal archway in the middle: this consists of a single arched opening flanked by pairs of widely-spaced Doric columns supporting a frieze and a central semicircular pediment.
|Winwick Manor House: the gateway dividing the inner and outer courts.|
The house itself is built of diapered brickwork with stone dressings, and consists of two storeys with attics; the mullioned windows have arched lights with four-centred heads and there are brick relieving arches above the ground-floor windows. The plan was originally H-shaped, with a central hall between two gabled cross-wings and gabled projections in the angles between the hall and wings which formed the porch (on the right) and the hall oriel window: a similar arrangement was found at (e.g.) Pytchley Hall and Brockhall in Northamptonshire and Stanton Court in Gloucestershire.
|Winwick Manor House in 2011.|
Only the left-hand side of the Tudor house now survives. The cross-wing originally had two rooms on each floor, the front rooms being the parlour and great chamber, and there was a staircase (now removed) in a small block that projects into the garden on the side of this range. The present main stair is early 17th century and rises from ground floor to attic: it has splat balusters in the form of Ionic pilasters. In the late 17th century the dais at the upper end of the hall was removed and the rooms on the ground floor of the cross-wing were altered to match it, with lowered floors and window-sills, although the fireplaces were not adjusted. The right-hand, service end of the house, including the porch and screens passage, was demolished in the later 18th century, and a new brick gable and chimneystack were erected on the line of the former screen. Probably at the same time the putative service range in the courtyard was also taken down. Finally, in the early 20th century the house was expanded again, with new service rooms built by J.H. Liddington of Rugby in 1913, a large extension to the south-east designed by P.H. Morley-Horder in 1926, keeping in keeping with the style of the original building, and a further extension in 1937.
|Winwick Manor House: the rear of the Tudor house and the 1926 extension.|
In the early 1980s, the house was divided into two dwellings. There is a fine aerial photograph of the house and its setting in 1946.
Descent: Thomas Andrews (d. 1564); to son, Thomas Andrews (c.1541-94); to son, Eusebius Andrews (c.1579-1619); to brother-in-law, Seymour Knightley, who sold before 1635 to John, Lord Craven of Ryton (1610-48); to brother, William, Lord Craven; to cousin, Sir William Craven (c.1634-1707)... Capt. Geoffrey Stewart (fl. 1913); sold to Eric Brand Butler-Henderson (fl. 1926); sold to George Hooton Spencer (fl. 1937)...
Harlestone House, Northamptonshire
The parish of Harlestone was divided into two main manorial properties - perhaps corresponding to the separate villages of Upper and Lower Harlestone. The Andrews family acquired one of the manors as early as 1500, direct from its medieval possessors, the Lumleys; the second manor, known as the Bulmer manor from its medieval owners, passed to the Dyve family of Bromham (Beds), was sold during the Civil War, and was bought by John Andrew in 1753.
|Harlestone Park before improvements: sketch after Repton from Loudon's collection of Repton's writings|
|Harlestone Hall, from an engraving of 1850.|
|Harlestone House, from an early photograph, with the Repton lake and bridge in the foreground.|
All this was altered by Humphry Repton and his son, John Adey Repton, who were working at Harlestone between 1808 and 1811. No 'Red Book' is known for this commission, but a plan and elevation and some individual design proposals are amongst the Andrew family papers at Northamptonshire Record Office and in the Getty Research Institute. The house was altered by the addition of a full-height canted bay window to the centre of the main block; the attic storey was replaced by a more modest parapet, and the right-hand wing was balanced by the addition of a two-storey wing on the left. At the same time, a new stable block was built and the grounds were altered, with an existing formal canal being converted into a new lake by the construction of a new bridge-dam. Later in the 19th century a large conservatory was added to the left-hand end of the house.
Most unfortunately the house was demolished in 1939 and its site is now occupied by a golf club built in 1990. The stables survive, and are an unusually impressive composition, with a grand front designed to be seen across the park. The corner pavilions have pyramidal roofs and the entrance archway has Tuscan columns and a pediment. Of Repton's landscape layout the lake and bridge survive, but the feel of the parkland was lost when it became a golf course.
Descent: Thomas Andrew (d. 1530); to son, Richard or Edward Andrew (d. 1539); to son, Richard Andrew (d. 1558); to son, Robert Andrew (c.1543-1608); to son, Thomas Andrew (1572-1651); to son, Robert Andrew (1605-67); to son Robert Andrew (d. 1674); to nephew, Thomas Andrew MP (d. 1722); to son, Robert Andrew (d. 1739); to distant kinsman, John Andrew of Creaton (1698-1756); to son, Robert Andrew (d. 1807); to son, Robert Andrew (1770-1831); sold after his death to John Charles Spencer (1782-1845), 3rd Earl Spencer; to brother, Frederick Spencer (1798-1857), 4th Earl Spencer; to son, John Poyntz Spencer (1835-1910), 5th Earl Spencer; to son, Charles Robert Spencer (1857-1922), 6th Earl Spencer, who leased to Marie Anne Louise, Dowager Duchess of Grafton (1833-1928), widow of the 6th Duke of Grafton (1819-82); demolished 1939.
Pudding Norton Hall, Norfolk
|Pudding Norton Hall, drawn by Emma Browne, 1845. Image: Michele Muhlinghaus|
In origin, this is the 17th century manor house of the Paris family, who were resident from 1576 to 1698, but it was apparently rebuilt in the 18th century and extensively altered in the 19th century; only one brick chimneystack on the north side now shows 17th century work, although one of the ground-floor rooms also has moulded ceiling beams and some reused panelling. The 18th century house is recorded in a drawing of 1845, and appears to have been much the same size as the present building, with a five bay, three storey front, and the end bays projecting slightly, as now. In 1807 it was said to comprise a spacious hall, two parlours, a study, kitchen, good bedrooms and service accommodation, and already had the avenue of lime trees which is such a prominent feature of the 1845 view.
|Pudding Norton Hall, 2009. Image: Belinda Evans|
By 1884 it had apparently assumed its present appearance, as a stuccoed brick building of two-and-a-half storeys, with a tall hipped roof of glazed black pantiles studded with lower dormers, and with the central three bays recessed. The slightly ungainly tripartite bay windows on the wings and the rather tightly arched eyebrow pediments over the first floor windows in the wings suggest a date in the 1870s or early 1880s. The house was used as a farmhouse for much of the 19th and 20th centuries.
Descent: sold 1576 to Ferdinando Paris of Little Linton (Cambs); to son, Peter Paris (d. c.1616); to son, Charles Paris (d. c.1664); to brother, John Paris; to widow, Ann, later wife of Sir Joseph Coulston MD; to co-heirs, of whom Sir Francis Andrews (d. 1759), 4th bt. bought out the others c.1698; to daughter, Bridget Andrews (c.1698-1783), wife of Philip Southcote (1698-1758) of Wooburn Farm, Weybridge (Surrey); to kinsman, Robert Edward Petre (1742-1801), 9th Baron Petre...A.G. Wright (fl. 1810); Mr Wright-Biddulph (fl. 1841); sold 1841 to Mrs. Browne (fl. 1848)... Leonard Sooby (fl. 1855-57); sold 1863 to John Spurrell (fl. 1864-70); George Edgar Smith (d. 1884)...J.T. Thistleton-Smith (fl. 1927-38)...Lt-Col. E.B. Thistleton-Smith (fl. 1954)
Andrew alias Andrews family of Harlestone
Andrew, Thomas (d. 1530) of Charwelton and Harlestone. Son of Thomas Andrew of Sawbridge (Warks) and Charwelton and his wife Joan, daughter of Richard Clarell of Edgcote (Northants). Sheriff of Northamptonshire, 1502. He married 1st, Emma (d. 1490), daughter of Richard Knightley of Fawsley (Northants) and 2nd, 1495, Elizabeth, daughter of John Pulteney and sister of Sir Thomas Pulteney of Misterton (Leics), and had issue:
(1.1) Thomas Andrew (d. 1541) of Charwelton [see below, Andrew family of Charwelton];
(1.2) Richard Andrew(s) (c.1490-1554), of Chaucer's House, Woodstock (Oxon), born about 1490 (based on his age at graduation); educated at Trinity Hall, Cambridge (BCivL, 1513); attorney of Common Pleas by 1515 and of Kings Bench by 1516; clerk of the peace for Oxfordshire, 1512-16, 1521 and for Berkshire, 1520-23; auditor of Dorchester Abbey (Oxon), 1535-36; escheator for Oxfordshire and Berkshire, 1536-37; after the Dissolution of the Monasteries he became an agent for the sale of monastic lands in partnership with his brother-in-law, Sir Leonard Chamberlain, as a result of which he appears in the records receiving many grants of former monastic properties, most of which were sold on very quickly to the end-purchasers, although he appears to have retained the site of Hailes Abbey (Glos); he probably married Ursula (d. 1558), daughter of his half-brother, Richard Andrew (d. 1539) of Harlestone, and had issue two sons and two daughters; died late in 1554; will proved 28 January 1554/5;
(1.3) Jane Andrew (fl. 1540); married [forename unknown] Spurryer;
(1.4) Anne Andrew (fl. 1540); married George Smythe of Eldon (Northants);
(1.5) Margaret Andrew; married [forename unknown] Spurrye or Spurryer;
(1.6) Mary Andrew (1481?-1548); married Thomas Arden (d. 1563) of Park Hall, Castle Bromwich (Warks) and had issue five sons and four daughters;
(2.1) Richard Andrew (d. 1539) of Harlestone (q.v.);
(2.2) William Andrew; married [forename unknown] Knight of Muskett and had issue one son and two daughters;
(2.3) George Andrew; married 1st, Alice Hitchins, and had issue four sons and two daughters; married 2nd, Mary Maney and had issue one son;
(2.4) Anthony Andrew (k/a Andrew Whitefoot); married Anne, daughter of Rafe Colet and niece of John Colet, Dean of St. Paul's Cathedral, London, and had issue one son;
(2.5) James Andrews;
(2.6) Ellen Andrews;
(2.7) Francis Andrews;
(2.8) Henry Andrews;
(2.9) Robert Andrews.
He inherited the Charwelton estate from his father in 1496 and purchased Harleston in 1500.
He died in 1530. His first wife died 11 April 1490.
Andrew, Richard (c.1496-1539) of Harlestone. Eldest son of Thomas Andrew (d. 1530) and his second wife, Elizabeth, daughter of John Poulteney, born about 1496. He married, 1517, Catherine, daughter of Richard Belgrave of Belgrave (Leics) and had issue:
(1) Richard Andrew (d. 1558) (q.v.);
(2) William Andrew;
(3) Henry Andrew;
(4) Francis Andrew;
(5) George Andrew;
(6) Ursula Andrew (d. 1558); probably married her father's half-brother, Richard Andrew (c.1490-1554) (q.v.), and had issue two sons and two daughters; died about October 1558; will proved in the PCC, 30 November 1558;
(7) Dorothy Andrew (d. c.1554); probably married, as his second wife, Sir Leonard Chamberlain (c.1504-61), kt., agent for the sale of monastic lands in partnership with his brother-in-law, Richard Andrew (c.1490-1554); died in or before 1554;
(8) Emma Andrew.
He appears to have been given the Harlestone estate in his father's lifetime.
He died in 1539.
Andrew, Richard (c.1518-58) of Harlestone. Eldest son of Richard Andrew (d. 1539) and his wife Catherine, daughter of Richard Belgrave of Belgrave (Leics), born about 1518. He married, 1537, Anne, daughter of Peter Coles of Preston Capes (Northants), and had issue:
(1) Robert Andrew (c.1543-1604) (q.v.);
(2) George Andrew (d. 1625);
(3) William Andrew (fl. 1594); married, 2 September 1594, Frances, daughter of George Belgrave of Belgrave (Leics);
(4) Jane Andrew.
He inherited the Harlestone estate from his father in 1539.
He died 8 September 1558.
Andrew, Robert (c.1543-1604) of Harlestone. Eldest son of Richard Andrew (c.1518-58) of Harlestone and his wife Anne, daughter of Peter Coles of Preston Capes (Northants), born about 1543. He married, 1565, Elizabeth (c.1548-1595), daughter of William Gent of Norton-juxta-Daventry (Northants), esq., and had issue:
(1) Thomas Andrew (1572-1651) (q.v.);
(2) Alice Andrew (b. 1574), baptised 28 April 1574; married Francis Duffield of Medmenham (Bucks) and had issue;
(3) Elizabeth Andrew (b. 1575), baptised 26 December 1575; married, 11 June 1598, Leonard or Edward Symeon of Pyrton and had issue; died before 1649;
(4) Sir William Andrew (1577-1649), 1st bt. [see below, Andrews family of Denton];
(5) Richard Andrew (1579-1654) of London and Thorp Underwood (Northants), baptised 26 December 1579; married Elizabeth, daughter of William Chambre of London, gent. and had issue; died 6 July 1654 and was buried at Rothwell (Northants);
(6) Anne Andrew (b. c.1580), baptised 29 January 1580/1; married 4 February 1604/5 Sir William Wilmer (d. 1640) of Sywell (Northants); died 11 January 1635/6 and was buried at Sywell;
(7) Anthony Andrew (1582-83), baptised 2 June 1582; died in infancy and was buried 17 August 1583.
He inherited the Harlestone estate from his father in 1558.
He died 25 January 1603/4. His wife died 8 August 1595.
Andrew, Thomas (1572-1651) of Harlestone. Eldest son of Robert Andrew (c.1543-1604) of Harlestone and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of William Gent of Norton, esq., baptised 13 December 1572. He married Dorothy (d. 1617), daughter of Robert Wilmer of Sywell, and had issue:
(1) Elizabeth Andrew (b. 1604), baptised 18 March 1603/4; married, 24 January 1619/20, Thomas Chibnell (fl. 1649) of Orlingbury (Northants), gent.; died before 1649;
(2) Robert Andrew (1605-67) (q.v.);
(3) William Andrew (b. 1606; fl. 1649), baptised 16 October 1606; farmer at Lamport (Northants); living in 1649;
(4) Anne Andrew (b. 1609; fl. 1649), baptised 1 May 1609; married, 24 April 1627, William Preston (fl. 1649) of Childwick (Herts), gent.;
(5) Alice Andrew (b. 1610; d. before 1649), baptised 12 August 1610; married 26 May 1629, Augustin Nicholls (d. before 1649) of Tilton (Leics), gent.;
(6) Dorothy Andrew (b. & d. 1611), baptised 27 September 1611; died in infancy;
(7) Richard Andrew (c.1612-14), baptised 17 January 1612/3; died young and was buried 18 November 1614;
(8) Dorothy Andrew (b. 1615; d. before 1649), baptised 12 November 1615; married, 24 September 1632, Richard Duncombe (fl. 1649), gent. and had issue four children.
He inherited the Harlestone estate from his father in 1604.
He was buried 22 January 1650/1. His wife was buried 16 December 1617.
Andrew, Robert (1605-67) of Harlestone. Eldest son of Thomas Andrew (1572-1651) of Harlestone and his wife Dorothy, daughter of Robert Wilmer of Sywell, baptised 19 May 1605. A strong Calvinist and supporter of the Parliamentarian cause; sheriff of Northamptonshire, 1654-55. He married and had issue:
(1) Robert Andrew (d. 1674) (q.v.);
(2) William Andrew (d. 1675) (q.v.).
He inherited the Harlestone estate from his father in 1651.
He died in 1667 and was commemorated by a monument in Harlestone church, of which a portrait bust still survives.
Andrew, Robert (d. 1674) of Harlestone. Elder son of Robert Andrew (1605-67) of Harlestone and his wife. Sheriff of Northamptonshire, 1668-69. He was unmarried and without issue.
He inherited the Harlestone estate from his father in 1667. At his death it passed to his nephew, Thomas Andrew.
He was buried 4 March 1673/4.
Andrew, William (d. 1675) of Great Addington. Second son of Robert Andrew (1605-67) of Harlestone and his wife. A farmer at Great Addington. He married and had issue, perhaps among others:
(1) Thomas Andrew (c.1645-1722) (q.v.).
He was buried 15 December 1675.
Andrew, Thomas (c.1645-1722) of Harlestone. Only son of William Andrew (d. 1675) of Great Addington, born about 1645. Educated at Emmanuel College, Cambridge (admitted 1662) and Middle Temple (admitted 1675). JP for Northamptonshire, 1680-85, 1687-1722; DL for the county, 1687-1722; Commissioner for the rebuilding of Northampton after a fire, 1675; Sheriff of Northamptonshire in 1687-88, Mar-Nov, 1689. MP for Higham Ferrers, 1689-98, Northampton 1701-02; Steward of the Honour of Higham Ferrers, 1701-02. He married, 1 March 1665/6, Anne (d. 1678), daughter of Richard Kynneston or Kynnesman of Broughton (Northants), and had issue:
(1) Robert Andrew (d. 1739);
(2) Thomas Andrew; died in infancy;
(3) Anne Andrew (d. 1710); buried September 1710;
(4) Dorothy Andrew (d. before 1722); married John Stokes and had issue; died before 1722.
He inherited the Harlestone estate from his uncle in 1674 and his father's property at Great Addington in 1675.
He was buried at Harlestone, 19 October 1722, and was commemorated by a monument there; his will was proved 1 February 1722/3. His wife was buried 2 February 1677/8.
Andrew, Robert (d. 1739) of Harlestone. Only surviving son of Thomas Andrew (c.1645-1722) of Harlestone and his wife Anne, daughter of Richard Kynneston of Broughton (Northants). He was unmarried and without issue.
He inherited the Harlestone estate from his father in 1722 and appears to have built a new house there about 1728. At his death the estate was bequeathed to his godson, Robert Andrew, son of John Andrew of Creaton.
He died 7 July 1739 and was commemorated on his father's monument at Harlestone church.
Andrew alias Andrews family of Charwelton and later Harlestone
Andrew, Thomas (d. 1541) of Charwelton. Elder son of Thomas Andrew (d. 1530) and his first wife, Emma Knightley (d. 1490), probably born about 1480. He married Agnes, daughter of Robert Newport of Sandon (Herts), and had issue:
(1) Sir Thomas Andrew (d. 1564) (q.v.);
(2) Rev. Nicholas Andrew (fl. 1540), rector of Charwelton, 1530-37; married 1st, Isabel, daughter of Richard Marriott of Towcester (Northants) and had issue one daughter; married 2nd, Margaret, daughter of [forename unknown] Ball and widow of [forename unknown] Browne of Northampton, and had issue one son;
(3) Anthony Andrew (fl. 1540); married [forename unknown], daughter of Richard Andrew of [Herewton?] (Oxon) and had issue six sons and one daughter;
(4) Edmund Andrew (fl. 1540); married Prudence, daughter of John Knowles and had issue two sons and six daughters;
(5) George Andrew (fl. 1540);
(6) Anne Andrew (fl. 1540); married [forename unknown] Brown and had issue;
(7) Dorothy Andrew; married [forename unknown] Brown of Leire (Leics);
(8) Ursula Andrew; married Thomas Bushell (d. 1558) of Long Marston (Glos, now Warks) and had issue; probably dead before 1540.
He inherited the Charwelton estate from his father in 1530.
He died 2 July 1541 and was buried at Charwelton; his will was proved 2 September 1541. By his will he provided for the chancel and chapel of St Anne in Charwelton church to be enlarged and re-roofed. His wife was also buried at Charwelton.
Andrew, Sir Thomas (d. 1564), kt. of Charwelton. Eldest son of Thomas Andrew (d. 1541) of Charwelton and his wife Agnes, daughter of Robert Newport of Sandon (Herts). Sheriff of Northamptonshire, 1556. Knighted 2 October 1553. He married 1st, Katharine (d. 1555), daughter of Edward Cave, and 2nd, Mary (fl. 1563), daughter of John Heneage of Towse (Northants) and widow of Erasmus Cope, and had issue:
(1.1) Thomas Andrew (c.1541-94) (q.v.);
(1.2) Roger Andrew (fl. 1563) of Pebworth (Glos); married Magdalen, daughter of William Box of London and had issue a son;
(1.3) Edward Andrew (fl. 1563) of West Haddon (Northants);
(1.4) John Andrew; died without issue before 1563;
(1.5) Anne Andrew (fl. 1563); Valentine Pigott of Loughton;
(1.6) Audrey Andrew; died without issue before 1563;
(1.7) Dorothy Andrew; died without issue before 1563;
(1.8) Ursula Andrew (fl. 1563); married 1st, June 1583, Thomas Hesilrigge (d. 1600) of Noseley and 2nd, Robert Forest of Huntingdonshire;
(2.1) Thomas Andrew (d. 1609) of Longdon Travers (Warks) (q.v.);
(2.2) Mary Andrew (fl. 1596); married her step-brother, Sir William Lane (d. 1615);
(2.3) Valentine Andrew; probably died young before 1563;
(2.4) Simon Andrew (fl. 1596); died unmarried, c.1596;
(2.5) Richard Andrew (fl. 1630); married Alice (b. 1571; fl. 1612), daughter of Francis Hill of White Ladies Aston (Worcs), and had issue one son and six daughters; inherited the manor of White Ladies Aston in 1611 and sold it the following year;
(2.6) Katherine Andrew (d. 1616); married, c.1584 (settlement 1 December) John Pleydell (d. 1608) of Alderton (Glos) and had issue; her will was proved in the PCC, 11 June 1616.
He inherited the Charwelton estate from his father in 1541, and bought the manor of Ilmington (Warks) in 1550.
He died 1 February 1563/4 and was buried at Charwelton, 8 February 1563/4; his will was proved 19 May 1564. His first wife died 18 August 1555. His widow married 3rd, Sir Robert Lane of Hogshaw (Bucks) and Horton (Northants) and died 5 February 1608/9; she was buried at Charwelton, 16 February 1608/9; her will was proved 15 May 1609.
Andrew, Thomas (c.1541-94) of Winwick Manor. Eldest son of Sir Thomas Andrew (d. 1564) of Charwelton and his first wife, Katharine, daughter of Edward Cave, born about 1541. Sheriff of Northamptonshire in 1568 and 1587, in which capacity he was unexepectedly caught up in national events when called upon to manage the secret execution of Mary, Queen of Scots at Fotheringhay Castle; for his courtesy to the Queen she gave him a crucifix before going to the block; his function included procuring two surgeons to embalm the queen's body, and burying her heart and other internal organs 'in a secret place known only to himself' - something he is said to have done so successfully in the cellars of the castle that the burial site has never been discovered. He married 1st, Frances (d. 1568), daughter of Sir John Cotton of Lanwade (Cambs) and 2nd, Mary (d. 1589), daughter of Gregory Isham of Braunston, and had issue:
(2.1) Mary Andrew; married, 30 October 1593, Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby;
(2.2) Samuel Andrew; died without issue;
(2.3) Sir Eusebius Andrew (c.1579-1619) (q.v.);
(2.4) John Andrew (fl. 1622) of Yelvertoft (Northants); married Mary Love of Leicester and had issue three sons and three daughters;
(2.5) Anne Andrew (b. & d. 1581), baptised 16 April and buried 5 October 1581;
(2.6) Elizabeth Andrew (b. 1582), baptised 25 April 1582; married Anthony Watson of Liddington;
(2.7) Nathaniel Andrew (b. 1583), baptised 15 August 1583; married Elizabeth Smith of Yorkshire and had issue one daughter;
(2.8) Susanna Andrew; married Thomas or William Purefoy of Barwell (Leics);
(2.9) Sarah Andrew (b. 1587), baptised 25 December 1587; married Richard Onley (d. 1622) of Staverton;
(2.10) Anne Andrew; died without issue;
(2.11) Sorrowson Andrew (fl. 1618) of London;
(2.12) Thomas Andrew (fl. 1618).
He inherited the Charwelton and Winwick estates from his father in 1564.
He was buried at Winwick 23 May 1594, but is commemorated by a monument at Charwelton, erected in 1590, four years before his death. His first wife died without issue, 12 January 1567/8. His second wife died 4 April 1589.
Andrew, Sir Eusebius (c.1579-1619), kt. of Winwick Manor. Third? son of Thomas Andrew (c.1541-94) and his second wife Mary, daughter of Gregory Isham of Braunston, born about 1579. Knighted 11 May 1603. He married Anne (b. 1584), daughter of Sir Richard Knightley of Fawsley (Northants) and had issue:
(1) Frances Andrew (b. 1603; fl. 1633), born 12 November 1603;
(2) Eusebius Andrew (b. 1606), baptised 20 December 1606; probably died young;
(3) Edward Andrew (b. 1608; fl. 1646), baptised 13 September 1608; inherited the Charwelton estate from his father but later sold it and lived at Grandborough (Warks); probably died unmarried and without issue;
(4) John Andrew (b. 1610), born 7 February 1610;
(5) Thomas Andrew (b. 1611), born 13 November 1611;
(6) Margaret Andrew (b. 1613), born 7 September 1613;
(7) Elizabeth Andrew (b. c.1616), baptised 13 February 1615/6; died in infancy;
(8) Seymour Andrew (b. 1618), baptised 30 June 1618; probably died in infancy;
(9) Anne Andrew (fl. 1630).
He inherited the Charwelton and Winwick estates from his father in 1594. He sold Winwick to his brother-in-law, Seymour Knightley. Charwelton passed to his eldest son and was later sold.
He died 31 July 1619.
Andrew(es), Thomas (d. 1609) of Longdon Travers and Ilmington (Warks). Eldest son of Sir Thomas Andrew (d. 1564) of Charwelton and his second wife, Mary, daughter of John Heneage of Towse and widow of Erasmus Cope. He was probably a recusant, and his wife was imprisoned (perhaps some form of house arrest) for recusancy after his death, although she had licence to travel to Bath and Shropshire in 1615, 1616 and 1618. He married Jane (fl. 1618), probably the daughter of Richard Cassey of Wightfield Manor, Deerhurst (Glos) and had issue, possibly among others:
(1) Sir John Andrew(es) (b. 1582; fl. 1649) of London (q.v.);
(2) Henry Andrew (b. 1583), baptised at Deerhurst, 13 September 1583;
(3) Katherine Andrew (b. 1586), baptised at Tredington, 3 February 1585/6;
(4) Jane Andrew (b. 1591), baptised at Tredington, 23 February 1590/1;
(3) Mary Andrew (b. 1592), baptised at Deerhurst, 28 December 1592;
(4) Elizabeth Andrew (b. 1595), baptised at Deerhurst, 21 January 1595;
(5) Margaret Andrew (b. 1600), baptised at Deerhurst, 13 June 1600.
He inherited the manor of Ilmington from his father in 1564.
He died intestate in 1609; an inquisition post mortem was held at Evesham, 12 April 1610. His widow was living in 1618.
Andrew(es), Sir John (b. 1582; fl. 1649), kt. of London. Elder son of Thomas Andrewes (d. 1609) of Longdon and his wife Jane, daughter of Richard Casey of Whitfield (Glos), baptised at Deerhurst (Glos), 29 May 1582. He was knighted at Theobalds, 1 February 1608/9 and fined for recusancy, 1610. He married 1st, about September 1603, Anne (d. 1621), daughter and co-heir of John Reade of Cottesbrooke and Creaton (Northants) and 2nd, Mary (d. 1649), daughter of Thomas Pigott and widow of Sir Francis Prynce (d. 1615), and had issue:
(1.1) Frances Andrew (b. 1604), baptised at Tredington, 5 July 1604; married William Hopkins of Stoke near Coventry (Warks), from c.1634 master of Newport (Isle of Wight) Grammar School, and had issue; King Charles I is said to have been lodged with Hopkins during the negotiations for the Treaty of Newport, 1648, and to have knighted him for his service in writing cyphered messages for the king; she may later have emigrated to Newfoundland to join her sister Sarah;
(1.2) Thomas Andrew (1605-81) of Creaton (q.v.);
(1.3) A son (b. 1606), baptised 9 November 1606 (the name is illegible in the register);
(1.4) twin, Erasmus Andrew (b. 1607), baptised at Ilmington (Warks), 13 September 1607;
(1.5) twin, John Andrew (b. 1607), baptised at Ilmington, 13 September 1607;
(1.6) Sarah Andrew (fl. 1633), born before 1612 and perhaps in 1608 as this is the only available year in which other children were not baptised; married, 1633, Sir David Kirke (d. 1654), kt., Governor of Newfoundland, 1638-51, and had issue; living in Newfoundland in 1679;
(1.7) Anne Andrew (b. 1609), baptised at Ilmington, 12 November 1609; said to have married Robert Moseley of Moseley (Staffs) and emigrated to Virginia (USA), where they were killed by native Americans;
(1.8) Susan Andrew (b. 1610), baptised at Ilmington, 3 March 1610;
(1.9) Edward Andrew (b. 1611), baptised at Ilmington, 8 March 1611;
(1.10) Lucy Andrew (b. 1612), baptised at Ilmington, 18 March 1612;
(1.11) William Andrew (b. 1614), baptised at Ilmington, 6 November 1614;
(1.12) Judith Andrew (b. 1616), baptised at Clerkenwell (Middx), 13 February 1616;
(1.13) Mary Andrew (b. 1619), baptised at St James, Clerkenwell, 24 July 1619.
He inherited the manor of Ilmington (Warks) and property at Longdon Travers in Tredington from his father but sold Ilmington in 1613 to Sir Baptist Hicks and the Longdon property to William Loggin and others in 1634. He also inherited an estate at Creaton in right of his wife, but lived chiefly in Clerkenwell, London.
His date of death is unknown but seems to have been after 1649. His first wife died following a stillbirth and was buried at St James, Clerkenwell, 5 July 1621. His second wife died in June 1649 and was buried at St Andrew, Holborn.
Andrew, Thomas (1605-81) of Creaton. Eldest son of Sir John Andrew (b. 1582; fl. 1649) of Longdon (Worcs) and his wife Anne, daughter of John Reade of Cottesbrooke and Creaton (Northants), baptised at Tredington, 6 July 1605. He married, 8 December 1661, Anne Bullock (d. 1675) of Little Creaton, and had issue:
(1) Elizabeth Andrew; married, 1677, John Lucas;
(2) William Andrew (c.1669-1730) of Creaton (q.v.).
He inherited his parents' estate at Creaton.
He died 20 March 1681. His wife died 18 October 1675.
Andrew, William (c.1669-1730) of Creaton. Only known son of Thomas Andrew (1605-81) of Creaton and his wife Anne Bullock of Little Creaton, born about 1669. He married, c.1697, Jane Woodward [surname uncertain], and had issue:
(1) John Andrew (1698-1766) (q.v.);
(2) William Andrew (b. 1700; fl. 1764), baptised 13 February 1700/01;
(3) Anne Andrew (b. 1702), baptised 15 November 1702;
(4) Susan Andrew (b. 1704), baptised 13 June 1704;
(5) Thomas Andrew (b. 1706), baptised 10 September 1706;
(6) Robert Andrew (b. 1708), born 14 December and baptised at Creaton 29 December 1708;
(7) Joseph Andrew (b. 1710), baptised 20 December 1710;
(8) Jane Andrew (b. 1712), baptised 14 November 1712; married, 1733, Richard Brett, and had issue;
(9) Mary Andrew (b. 1715), born 16 January and baptised at Creaton, 14 February 1714/5;
(10) Elizabeth Honoretta Andrew (b. 1723), born 5 January 1722/3 and was baptised at Creaton.
He inherited his father's estate at Creaton in 1681.
He was buried 2 February 1730.
Andrew, John (1698-1766) of Creaton and Harlestone. Eldest son of William Andrew (c.1669-1730) of Creaton and his wife Jane, baptised 11 August 1698. He married, c.1739 at Creaton, Mary [surname unknown] (1702-64) and had issue:
(1) Robert Andrew (c.1739-1807) (q.v.);
(2) Rev. Thomas Andrew (c.1740-68); educated at Queens' College, Cambridge (matriculated 1758; BA 1761); ordained deacon, 1761 and priest, 1762; rector of Harlestone, 1762-68; died unmarried and was buried at Harlestone, 6 October 1768;
(3) William Andrew (c.1741-96); married Mary (1745/6-1818), daughter of Wayte Carr of Brampton and had issue; died 15 January 1796;
(4) Ann Andrew (c.1742-65); married, c.1761, John Wright and had issue two sons and two daughters; died about June 1765;
(5) Rev. Gilbert Andrew (1743-1808), born 30 August 1743; educated at Clare College, Cambridge (matriculated 1770); ordained deacon, 1770 and priest, 1771; rector of Harlestone, 1771-1808; married Catherine Cant (1738/9-1808) but had no issue; died 11 and was buried at Harlestone 19 October 1808;
(6) Mary Andrew (fl. 1763-75); married, 5 January 1763, Randall Lovell (fl. 1798) of Clay Coton and had issue;
(7) Elizabeth Andrew (fl. 1770-75); married, 9 October 1770, Thomas Farmer (b. 1744?) of Leicester and had issue;
(8) Jane Andrew (fl. 1771-75); married, 12 November 1771 at St Martin, Leicester, John Barratt of Leicester;
(9) Catherine Andrew (fl. 1770-75); married, 2 January 1770, Joseph Cook Lovell (d. 1814) of Sulby Abbey.
He inherited his father's estate at Creaton in 1730. In 1753 he purchased the Bulmer manor at Harlestone.
He was buried 2 February 1766; his will was proved 13 February 1766. His wife was buried 14 May 1764.
Andrew, Robert (c.1739-1807) of Harlestone. Eldest son of John Andrew (1698-1756) of Creaton and his wife Mary, born about 1739. Sheriff of Northamptonshire, 1777; JP for Northamptonshire for nearly 50 years. He married, 22 March 1763, Frances (1731-99), daughter of Thomas Thornton of Brockhole and had issue:
(1) Frances Andrew (b. 1763; fl. 1792), born 4 December 1763; married, 2 September 1790, Thomas Walker of Grays Inn, London, and had issue; perhaps died before 1797;
(2) Anne Andrew (b. 1765 fl. 1799), born 11 March and baptised 22 April 1765; died unmarried;
(3) Charlotte Andrew (b. 1766; fl. 1792), born 1 June 1766; married, 29 December 1791, Rev. John Fisher (d. 1837) of Cossington (Leics), rector of Brockhall, 1794-1806, Dodford, 1801-37 and Holcott, 1809-37 and had issue;
(4) Mary Andrew (1768-1840), born 4 April 1768; married, 26 May 1791, Rev. Francis Montgomery (1755-1831) of Milton Malsor, rector of Harlestone, 1809-31 and had issue; died 30 October 1840;
(7) Rev. John Andrew (1774-99), born 20 March and baptised 22 May 1774; educated at Rugby and Queens' College, Cambridge (matriculated 1788; BA 1792; MA 1795); ordained deacon, 1793 and priest, 1796; vicar of Dodford (Northants), 1796-99; died unmarried and was buried 31 July 1799;
(8) Catherine Andrew (fl. 1775; d. c.1831) of Quorndon (Leics); died unmarried; will proved 24 November 1831;
(9) Elizabeth Andrew (fl. 1792-1831); married, about October 1802, and against her father's wishes, Joseph Lumley, and was as a result largely cut out of her father's will;
(10) Harriot Andrew (b. 1778; fl. 1825), baptised 28 October 1778; died unmarried between 1825 and 1831.
He inherited the Harlestone Hall estate from his distant kinsman in 1739 and his father's manor of Harleston and estate at Creaton in 1765. He was a party to the enclosure of Creaton in 1783 and Great Addington c.1806.
He died 20 April and was buried 27 April 1807 at Harlestone, where he is commemorated by a monument; his will was proved in the PCC, 6 October 1807. His wife was buried at Harlestone, 13 April 1799.
Andrew, Robert (1770-1831) of Harlestone. Eldest son of Robert Andrew (c.1738-1807) and his wife Frances, daughter of Thomas Thornton of Brockhole, baptised 5 October 1770. Educated at Emmanuel College, Cambridge (matriculated 1792). Sheriff of Northamptonshire, 1809. He married, 16 May 1799, Frances (1775-1800), daughter of Charles James Packe of Prestwold (Leics), and had issue:
(1) Robert Andrew (b. & d. 1800), born at Walton (Derbys), February 1800, but died in infancy.
He inherited the Harlestone and Creaton estates from his father in 1807 and employed Humphry and J.A. Repton to remodel the house and lay out the grounds in 1808-11. In 1824-25 he conveyed all his estates to his brother-in-law, Henry Packe as trustee, with power to sell the same to clear his debts estimated at £85,400. The Crick estate was sold in 1825 and at the time of his death the sale of the Harlestone estate to Earl Spencer for £135,000 was pending.
He was buried 10 June 1831; his will was proved in the PCC, 27 July 1831. His wife died 13 October 1800 and was buried at Prestwold.
Andrews family of Denton, baronets
Andrew(s), Sir William (1577-1649), 1st bt. of Denton. Younger surviving son of Robert Andrew (c.1543-1604) of Harlestone and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of William Gent, baptised 6 November 1577. Created a baronet, 1641. Despite being a Roman Catholic he was a benefactor to the Anglican church at Denton and in 1619 was granted burial rights in the chancel there. In the Civil War he was a Royalist; he compounded for his estates in 1648. He is reputed to have had three further sons "who were killed at the Battle of Worcester", but Royalist casualties at the first Battle of Worcester/Powick Bridge in 1642 were minimal, and there is no mention of sons other than the two who ultimately succeeded to the baronetcy in his will, so it seems unlikely that he had three sons killed at the second Battle of Worcester in 1651. He married 1st, Frances (d. 1627), daughter and co-heir of John Flamstead of Denton (Northants) and 2nd, about July 1642, Eleanor Parys (d. 1698), sister of John Parys of Pudding Norton Hall (Norfolk), and had issue:
(1.1) Sir John Andrew(s) (c.1613/4-65), 2nd bt. (q.v.);
(1.2) Elizabeth Andrew (b. c.1615);
(1.3) Sir William Andrew(s) (c.1620-84), 3rd bt. (q.v.).
He inherited property at Denton in right of his first wife.
He died of gout, in about January 1649 and was buried at Denton near his first wife; his will was proved 5 April 1649. His first wife died in 1627. His widow died in 1698 or 1699; her will was proved 13 October 1699.
Andrew(s), Sir John (c.1613/4-65) of London, 2nd bt. Eldest son of Sir William Andrews (1577-1649), 1st bt. and his wife Frances, daughter of John Flamstede of Denton, born in 1613 or 1614. He was apparently unmarried but had issue:
(X1) Elizabeth Andrew (fl. 1651); died unmarried.
He inherited his father's property at Denton.
He died in about 1665.
Andrew(s), Sir William (c.1620-84), 3rd bt. Younger surviving son of Sir William Andrews (1577-1649), 1st bt. and his first wife Frances, daughter of John Flamstede of Denton, born about 1620. He married Eleanor, daughter of Edward Attslow of Downham Hall (Essex) and had issue:
(1) Anne Andrews (c.1654-1724); educated by Benedictine nuns at Ypres; a nun at Bruges (clothed, 1674; professed, 1675); became insane, 1700, 'nevertheless her raving was all pious'; died 1724 aged 70;
(2) Magdalen Andrews;
(3) Frances Andrews;
(4) Sir Francis Andrews (d. 1759), 4th bt. (q.v.);
(5) William Andrews; died in infancy;
(6) Helen Andrews (1665-1728), baptised at Downham, 7 April 1665; a nun at Bruges (clothed, 1681; professed, 1682; procuratrix, 1709, 1720-23; novice mistress 1716-17; sub-prioress, 1717-20, 1723); died 12 December 1728 aged 63;
(7) An unnamed daughter, possibly Mary Andrews (b. & d. 1666), baptised 8 September and buried 9 October 1666;
(8) Katherine Andrews (1668-1700), baptised 20 September 1668; married Joseph Petre (1666-1722) of Fithlers, Writtle (Essex) and had issue one son, whose daughter and heir married Francis Canning of Foxcote (Warks); died in 1700.
He presumably inherited his brother's property at Denton, but lived at Downham Hall, which he acquired in right of his wife, probably in 1652.
He died 15 August 1684 and was buried at Downham.
Andrew(s), Sir Francis (d. 1759), 4th bt., of Pudding Norton Hall. Only surviving son of Sir William Andrews (d. 1684), 3rd bt., and his wife Eleanor, daughter of Edward Attslow of Downham Hall, South Hanningfield (Essex). A Roman Catholic. He married, about 1697, Bridget, daughter of Sir Thomas Clifton of Lathom (Lancs), and had issue:
(1) Bridget Andrews (c.1698-1783) (q.v.);
(2) Eleanor Andrews;
(3) Sir William Andrews (fl. 1723; d. 1804), 5th bt.; a lunatic.
He inherited the Downham Hall estate from his father in 1684. In 1698 he was one of the co-heirs to the manor of Pudding Norton (Norfolk), which came to him from the Paris family, through his mother. He obtained an Act of Parliament to sell the Downham estate and buy out the other co-heirs in Pudding Norton. In 1706 he was again co-heir in another Paris family property at Hildersham (Cambs) and in 1716 he again bought out the co-heirs. By 1715 he was possessed of Pudding Norton, Hildersham and Rothersthorpe manors (Northants). In the 1720s he bought an estate at Ashill (Norfolk) from John Eyre.
He died in Chelsea, 3 April 1759 (his death was also reported by the London Evening Post, 26 April 1757). According to some sources his wife died in 1699 but she was apparently living 23 April 1702 [Essex RO D/DP F89].
Andrew(s) (later Southcote), Bridget (c.1698-1783) of Wooburn Farm, Weybridge (Surrey) and Pudding Norton Hall. Elder daughter and heir of Sir Francis Andrews (d. 1759), 4th bt. and his wife Bridget, daughter of Sir Thomas Clifton of Lathom (Lancs), born about 1698. She married, in or after 1745, Philip Southcote (1698-1758) of Wooburn Farm, Weybridge (Surrey), son of Sir Edward Southcote of Witham (Essex) but had no issue. Her husband was a pioneer of the ferme ornée style of gardening, and laid out Wooburn Farm according to these principles.
She inherited her father's estate at Pudding Norton Hall in 1759. At her death she bequeathed all her estates to her kinsman, Robert Edward Petre, 9th Baron Petre.
She was buried at Hildersham (Cambs), 24 October 1783; her will was proved 21 November 1783. Her husband died 25 September 1758 and was buried 2 October 1758 at Witham (Essex) (although his wife's will says he was buried at Hildersham); his will was proved 11 October 1758.
J.B. Burke, Extinct and dormant baronetcies, 1841, pp. 11-12; F. Blomefield, An essay towards a topographical history of the county of Norfolk, 1805-10, vol. 3, pp. 804-05; J.C. Loudon (ed), The landscape gardening and landscape architecture of the late Humphry Repton, 1840, pp. 428-30; I. Gladwin, The sheriff - the man and his office, 1974, pp. 284-86; English Heritage, An inventory of the historical monuments of Northamptonshire, vol. 3, 1981, pp. 43-47; J. Heward & R. Taylor, The country houses of Northamptonshire, 1996, pp. 9, 325-27; A. Gomme, Smith of Warwick, 2000; T. Mowl & C. Hickman, The historic gardens of Northamptonshire, 2008, pp. 114-17; B. Bailey, Sir N. Pevsner & B. Cherry, The buildings of England: Northamptonshire, 3rd edn., 2013, pp. 170-71, 316-17, 676; http://www.stirnet.com/genie/data/british/aa/andrews04.php; http://www.stirnet.com/genie/data/british/zwrk/temp52.php#and1
Location of archives
Andrew family of Harlestone: deeds, estate and family papers, 12th-19th cents. [Northamptonshire Record Office, A]. This collection includes some of Repton's designs for the estate; others are in the Getty Research Institute, Los Angeles, California (USA).
Coat of arms
Gules, a saltire or, surmounted of another vert
Revision & Acknowledgements
This account was first published, 31 August 2014 and was revised 2 September 2014, 6 and 20th June and 11 July 2015, 15 October 2016 and 12, 19 and 28 April 2022. I am grateful to Martyn Howes and Geoff Andrews for additional information, and to Lorraine Hinschen for a correction.