|Beauclerk of Winchfield|
Winchfield House, Hampshire
|Winchfield House: the villa built c.1770 for Lady Margaret Beauclerk|
Beauclerk of Winchfield House
|Adm. Lord Amelius Beauclerk |
(X1.1) Lt-Gen. Frederick Amelius Whimper (1814-80), baptised at Fareham (Hants), 27 February 1814; an officer in the 55th Foot (Ensign, 1835; Lt., 1838; Capt., 1841; Maj., 1853; Lt-Col., 1854; Col., 1860; Maj-Gen., 1873; Lt-Gen., 1877); Resident Governor of the Tower of London, 1857-70; appointed CB, 1873; retired to Isle of Wight; married, 1851 at St George's Hanover Sq., Westminster (Middx), Caroline Ann (c.1819-87), daughter of Rev. John Fisher, but had no issue; died 18 May 1880; will proved 29 June 1880 (effects under £7,000);
(X1.2) Amelia Caroline Beauclerk Whimper (1816-82), born 4 March and baptised at St James, Piccadilly, Westminster (Middx), 1 April 1816; married, 15 November 1837, Capt. Sir Alexander Collingwood Thomas Dickson (1811-84), 5th bt., of Wallington House, Fareham (Hants) and later of Gwydyr House, Ryde (IoW), but had no issue; died 27 July 1882.
(X2.1) Charles Frederick Augustus de Vere Beauclerk (c.1836-82), born in Plymouth, c.1836; furniture dealer in Southampton and later insurance agent in Liverpool; married, 19 March 1859, Sarah Caroline Paul (c.1833-98), and had issue three sons and three daughters; died 11 April and was buried at Anfield Cemetery, Liverpool, 14 April 1882.
|Rev. Lord Frederick Beauclerk (1773-1850)|
(1) Caroline Henrietta Frederica Beauclerk (1815-93), born 19 April and baptised at Kimpton, 28 May 1815; author, with her sister, of Tales of Fashion and Beauty (1836); married, 12 December 1851 at St Mary-le-Strand, London, Charles Eugene Leloup (c.1822-78) of Brussels (Belgium), engineer; died 21 September 1893; will proved 30 October 1893 (effects £20,092);(2) Charles William Beauclerk (1816-63) (q.v.);(3) Aubrey Frederick James Beauclerk (1817-53), born 3 May and baptised at Kimpton, 1 June 1817; educated at Charterhouse School (admitted 1826); an officer in the army (Lt., 1835; Capt., 1844; retired 1848); died unmarried, 3 January 1853; will proved in the PCC, 2 February 1853;(4) Henrietta Mary Beauclerk (1818-87), born 1 July and baptised at Kimpton, 2 August 1818; author, with her sister, of Tales of Fashion and Beauty (1836); married, 2 August 1842 at St George, Hanover Sq., Westminster, Sir Edward Rokewode-Gage (1812-72), 9th and last bt. of Hengrave Hall (Suffk), but had no issue; died 6 January 1887; will proved 23 March 1887 (effects £10,538).
(1) Caroline Elizabeth Beauclerk (1845-1915), born in London, 28 August, and baptised at St George, Hanover Sq., Westminster (Middx), 25 September 1845; married, 16 April 1868 at St Luke (Jersey), Rev. Francis William Hudson (1839-1901), vicar of Great Wilbraham (Cambs), and had issue two sons; died 29 June and was buried at St Andrew the Great, Cambridge, 2 July 1915; her will was proved 15 October 1915 (estate £949);(2) Penelope Sarah Blanche Beauclerk (1846-86), born 25 October and baptised at Hartley Wintney (Hants), 26 November 1846; married, 20 October 1869 at Winchester Cathedral*, Sir St. Vincent Alexander Hammick (1839-1927), 3rd bt., (who m2, 7 January 1890, Eleanor (1855-1942), daughter of Rev. Sir Gilbert Frankland Lewis) and had issue one son and two daughters; died 2 March 1886;(3) Charlotte Amelia Beauclerk (1848-92), born 8 July and baptised at Winchfield, 13 August 1848; died unmarried, 7 June, and was buried at Great Chesterford (Essex), 11 June 1892; administration of her goods (with will annexed) was granted 6 August 1892 (effects £3,554);(4) Frederica Jane Beauclerk (1850-1926), born 17 November and baptised at Winchfield, 21 December 1850; married, 15 November 1870 at St Peter, Bournemouth (Hants), Col. John Ormsby Vandeleur CB (1839-1900) of Ballinacourty Castle, Stradbally (Co. Limerick), and had issue one son and four daughters; died at Winchester (Hants), 30 June 1926; will proved 8 October 1926 (estate £1,415);(5) Frederick Edward Beauclerk (1852-1919) (q.v.);(6) Charles St. John Beauclerk (1854-1921), born 10 October and baptised at Winchfield, 8 November 1854; educated at Marlborough; emigrated to the USA in 1875 and settled at Abercorn Colony, Amelia (Virginia), of which he became a Vice-President; farmer; married, 26 January 1885 at Amelia Courthouse, Kate Lee (c.1861-1931), second daughter of Edward Coleman esq. of The Glebe, Amelia; died 12 September 1921 and was buried in the Presbyterian Cemetery, Amelia;(7) Henrietta Mary Beauclerk (1856-1932), born at Dieppe (France), 2 November 1856; married, 7 August 1877 at St Peter, Eaton Sq., Westminster (Middx), Edward Stisted Mostyn Pryce (1851-1932) of Gunley (Montgomerys), one of HM Inspectors of Schools, eldest son of Lt-Col. John Edward Harryman Pryce, and had issue one son and three daughters; died 28 September 1932; will proved 31 October 1932 (estate £17,329).
Location of archives
Coat of arms
Can you help?
- Does anyone know of an illustration of the 'naval castle' built by Lord Amelius Beauclerk at Bestwood Park?
- Can anyone provide photographs or portraits of the people whose names appear in bold above, for whom no image is currently shown?
- If anyone can offer further information or corrections to any part of this article I should be most grateful. I am always particularly pleased to hear from current owners or the descendants of families associated with a property who can supply information from their own research or personal knowledge for inclusion.