|Barrington of Beckett House, |
William Wildman Barrington (1717-93), 2nd Viscount Barrington, was a Member of Parliament continuously for 38 years, first in his father's old seat of Berwick-on-Tweed, and later in Plymouth, where he became a popular figure and was continually re-elected unopposed. He evidently had charm, and as a result, he had a wide circle of friends, both inside Government and beyond. They included the gentlemen architects and landscape gardeners, Sanderson Miller and Thomas Wright, who altered the 17th century Beckett House and its grounds for him. Despite a lisp, he was accounted an effective parliamentary performer, and he became a Lord of the Admiralty in 1746 and remained in office under successive ministries until 1778. He avoided identification with any party, being willing to serve in any Government at the king's request, and he was assiduous and competent in office: more, perhaps, a senior civil servant than a politician in the modern sense. He had the favour of both George II and George III, the latter coming to rely on him particularly as Secretary at War - a post which he held from 1755 to 1778 with only a three-year break. He was popular with his constituents partly because he was happy to use his influence with other ministers on their behalf, and he undoubtedly assisted the careers of his brothers too. But he never sought a particular place or reward for himself, being content to serve where he was put by successive Prime Ministers, and eschewing any request for advancement in the peerage. Growing weary of office in the 1770s, he had repeatedly to press Lord North and the king to be released from office over some three years, and when he was eventually allowed to stand down he received a generous pension but not the British peerage which would have sent him to the House of Lords. It may be that one was offered but turned down, if he feared being drawn back into Government.
The 2nd Viscount was married but had no surviving issue, and the title passed in turn to the three sons of his next brother, Major-General John Barrington (1719-64), who had been orphaned at a young age. The 2nd Viscount had thereafter paid for and supervised their education, and he thus probably knew them better than a man might know his nephews in other circumstances. It would appear, however, that he had formed a low opinion of the two elder boys' suitability to inherit and manage his wealth and estates, and he bequeathed his property to his surviving brothers and a couple of close friends as trustees. They were charged with preserving the estate until such time as the title might pass to someone they considered fit to inherit the estate, in the meantime paying an annuity out of the estate to the current peer. William Barrington (1758-1801), the 3rd Viscount, was apparently not favoured because his uncle feared he would prove mentally unstable, although there seems no evidence that this was the case. He married but had no issue, and lived quietly near Bath until his death in 1801. His brother, Richard Barrington (1760-1813), the 4th Viscount, may have travelled to America as a young man, since he married the daughter of a Philadelphia merchant in 1783, although they had no issue. They lived chiefly in France, where he was occasionally arrested as an enemy alien during the recurrent conflicts with Britain in the Napoleonic era, and he died in Valenciennes at the end of 1813.
The Viscountcy then descended to the third brother, George Barrington (1761-1829), who was a clergyman in County Durham, where his uncle the bishop had appointed him to the plum living of Sedgefield in 1791 and made him a prebendary in the Cathedral. The rectory house at Sedgefield burned down a year after he took on the living, and he rebuilt it, incorporating the remains of the previous house. His architect is unknown, but the result is a plain but handsome five bay two storey house, now called Ceddesfield Hall and used as an arts centre.
|Ceddesfield Hall, Sedgefield: built as the rectory by the Rev. George Barrington in 1792.|
Beckett House, Shrivenham, Berkshire
The Essex family, who were seated here for over a hundred years in the 16th and early 17th centuries and were granted one of the first baronetcies in 1611, no doubt remodelled or replaced the original manor house with a building more befitting their status as one of Berkshire's leading gentry families. In the 1870s, the 7th Viscount Barrington recorded the family tradition that 'half of this house had been burnt down in the Civil Wars', while another account states that the fire damage occurred in 1666. Since the hearth tax returns for 1662 and 1663 show no building in Beckett tithing with more than two hearths, it seems probable that there had been Civil War damage, and that considerably more than 'half the house' must have been destroyed. John Wildman, who bought the estate in about 1657, later repaired and enlarged the remains, and its subsequent appearance suggests that his work was done not much later than the 1660s.
|Beckett House, Shrivenham: a watercolour drawing showing the house as rebuilt in the 1660s, copied by Mary Barrington. Image: Shrivenham Heritage Society.|
|Beckett House, Shrivenham: a drawing of c.1800, showing the house and its relationship to the fishing temple. Image: Shrivenham Heritage Society.|
|Beckett House, Shrivenham: the Fishing Temple in the early 20th century.|
The upper part consists of a single room, with a doorway between a pair of windows on each side, a coved ceiling, and a pyramidal roof with far-projecting eaves, supposedly designed to shelter anglers from the rain. The classical proportions and detailing, such as the pulvinated friezes over the doorways, suggest a mid 17th century date, but in what circumstances was it built? Its architecture is far more sophisticated than the works to the house in the 1660s, so it is unlikely to be of the same date. But if it is earlier, why was it built when the house to which it was attached lay in ruins? The answer may be that for a brief period between 1652 and c.1657, Beckett belonged to Sir George Pratt, who had begun in 1649 a new great house at Coleshill (Berks), two miles to the north, to the design of his cousin, Roger Pratt, with input from Inigo Jones and John Webb. Work at Coleshill stopped in about 1652 and did not resume until about 1658, and it seems feasible that in the interval Sir George built this little building as a setting for quiet recreation and tranquillity. If so, it seems very probable that it was designed by his cousin, Roger Pratt.
Our next glimpse of Beckett House comes in the mid 18th century, when William Wildman Barrington (1717-93), 2nd Viscount Barrington, made changes to the house and grounds with the assistance of his friends, the architectural amateurs, Sanderson Miller and Thomas Wright. Barrington and Miller were probably brought together by mutual acquaintances, such as Lord Lyttelton or Lord Dacre, but the first contact we know about is in December 1756, when Miller's diary records him calling on Lord Barrington in London. A few days after Christmas he travelled to Beckett, where he spent a good part of New Year's Day 1757 'drawing out ground plan and elevation of his lordship's new rooms'. The intention was no doubt to make the 17th century house more fashionable and up-to-date, but it would seem nothing was done immediately. Attention turned instead to the construction of a new stable block (which survives, much altered) to Miller's designs between 1763 and 1766, and it was not until this was almost complete that there is evidence of Miller's renewed involvement with the house. From 1766-69 works were evidently in progress under the supervision of one of the Strong family of masons (probably Thomas Strong (b. 1716)), and Miller was requested to supply a design for a new front door in November 1766. Lord Barrington also consulted William Chambers about the works to the house in 1766, but nothing is known to have come from the contact. At much the same time as work resumed on the house, Lord Barrington consulted Thomas Wright about improvements to the grounds. It is known that Wright designed a rose garden in the shape of a rose blossom, but what else he did is uncertain. The transformation of the fishpond by the 17th century temple into a naturalistic river in the style of Capability Brown is perhaps unlikely to be his work.
The 3rd and 4th Viscounts were not resident and from 1793 until 1814 Beckett was in the hands of the trustees of the 2nd Viscount's will, of whom the most active was his youngest brother, Shute Barrington (1734-1826), Bishop of Durham, who exercised a considerable influence on the estate during the early 19th century. It was no doubt as a result of his influence that his protégé, William Atkinson (c.1774-1839), produced designs for a new house in 1805, although nothing then seems to have been done. He made further plans in 1814, after the 5th Viscount (in whose favour the trust was finally terminated) came into the title. The 5th Viscount was a middle-aged clergyman in Bishop Barrington's own diocese of Durham, and did not wish to move south, so he appointed as Steward a man called George Merryweather, who was charged with reviving the estate and preparing to build a new mansion house. Although the Bishop was evidently willing to help with the cost of building a new house, the idea seems to have been quietly dropped by about 1818, and Atkinson's plans remained on paper.
|Beckett House, Shrivenham: the new house of 1829-34 from the south-west in 1911. The conservatory has since been demolished.|
|Beckett House, Shrivenham: the house from the south-east in 1922.|
|Beckett House, Shrivenham: the top-lit central hall in 1922.|
|Beckett House, Shrivenham: the saloon in 1922.|
After the First World War, the 9th Viscount made efforts to sell the property in 1922 and 1927, before leasing it to the Dowager Lady Courtown. After the death of the 9th Viscount and his widow, the property was finally sold to the War Office, which established an army training school in the house. Following wartime use the college returned and in the years since 1945 the grounds have become a substantial university campus, now forming part of Cranfield University and the Defence Academy of Great Britain. The house and fishing temple have been restored and seem to be well maintained.
Descent: Thomas Rogers (d. 1471); to son, Thomas Rogers (d. 1488), to widow Margaret Rogers (d. 1518); to daughter, Elizabeth, wife of Sir William Essex (d.1548); to son, Thomas Essex (d. 1558); to widow, Margaret Essex; to son, Thomas Essex (d. 1575); to son, Thomas Essex; to widow, Jane, later wife of Christopher Lytcot , for life; to son, Thomas Essex (d. c.1587); to son, Sir William Essex, 1st bt., who sold 1621 to Joseph Glover and Robert Pemberton, who sold 1633 to Sir Henry Marten, the judge; to son, Henry Marten, one of the regicides, who sold 1652 to Sir George Pratt, bt., of Coleshill; sold c.1655 or 1657 to Sir John Wildman, kt. (d.1693); to son, John Wildman (d. 1710), who admired and made his heir John Shute (later Barrington) (d. 1734), 1st Viscount Barrington; to son, William Wildman Barrington (1717-93), 2nd Viscount Barrington; to nephew, William Barrington (1758-1801), 3rd Viscount Barrington; to brother, Richard Barrington (1760-1814), 4th Viscount Barrington; to brother, Rev. George Barrington (1761-1829), 5th Viscount Barrington; to son, William Keppel Barrington (1793-1867), 6th Viscount Barrington; to son, George William Barrington (1824-86), 7th Viscount Barrington; to brother, Percy Barrington (1825-1901), 8th Viscount Barrington; to son, Walter Bulkeley Barrington (1848-1933), 9th Viscount Barrington; to widow, Charlotte Mary Leycester Barrington (d. 1935), Viscountess Barrington; sold after her death 1936 to War Office, which made it the British Army Training School (now part of the Defence Academy of Great Britain). The house was leased in the late 19th and early 20th century (from 1892 to Col. Davison; from 1895 to Robertson Bertram; from 1899 to Robert Whitehead (d. 1905), by 1907 to E. Lawson Johnston and from 1913 to Capt. Dutton).
Westbury Manor, Buckinghamshire
|Westbury Manor: a drawing of the house as it stood in c.1769, by which time it|
had become a farmhouse.
|Westbury Manor: the architect's design for the enlarged house, published in The Builder, 17 December 1904.|
|Westbury Manor: the east front, preserved from the original house when it was virtually rebuilt in 1902-03.|
|Westbury Manor: the house from the south-east at the time of its sale in 1931.|
Descent: Thomas Strange (d. 1485); to daughter Anne, later wife of John Strange (d. 1514) of Little Massingham (Norfk) and Sir Edward Knyvett (d. 1528), who settled the estate in 1540 on her daughter Barbara, wife of Robert Mordaunt; to son, Robert Mordaunt (d. 1602); to nephew, Lestrange Mordaunt, who sold 1621 to Laurence Washington; sold 1639 to Sir Thomas Littleton, bt.; to son, Sir Henry Littleton; who sold 1650 to Roger Price, sen. (d. 1677), and jun. (d. 1694); to widow, Elizabeth Price (fl. 1709); to son, Thomas Price (d. 1733); to son, Campbell Price; to daughter [forename unknown] Withers; to son?, Benjamin Price Withers (d. 1771); to son, Benjamin Price Withers (fl. 1814); to Gurden family (later Withers), who sold 1854 to Percy Barrington (1825-1901), later 8th Viscount Barrington; sold after his death to Sir Samuel Scott (1875-1960), 2nd bt., who remodelled it.; sold c.1935 for use as Westbury Manor School; sold by 1947 to F.S. Chappell for use as Beachborough School.
Barrington family, Viscounts Barrington
|John Shute (later Barrington) (1678-1734),|
1st Viscount Barrington
(1) The Hon. Sarah Barrington (d. 1759); married, 2 June 1746 at St George, Hanover Sq., London, Robert Price (1717-61) of Foxley (Herefs), son of Uvedale Tomkins Price, and had issue five sons (including Sir Uvedale Price, 1st bt., the pioneer of Picturesque landscaping, and Barrington Price, who occupied Beckett House in c.1810) and three daughters; died 1759;
(2) William Wildman Barrington (1717-93), 2nd Viscount Barrington (q.v.);
(3) Francis Barrington (b. 1718), born and baptised 22 March 1717/8; died young;
(4) Maj-Gen. the Hon. John Barrington (1719-64) (q.v.);
(5) The Hon. Anne Barrington (d. 1780); married, 2 January 1747 at St George, Hanover Sq., London, Thomas Clarges (1721-53), eldest son of Sir Thomas Clarges, 2nd bt., and had issue one son and one daughter; buried at Littleton (Surrey), 26 September 1780;
(6) The Hon. Daines Barrington (1728-1800); educated at Queens College, Oxford (matriculated 1745) and the Inner Temple (admitted 1745; called 1750; KC 1764); barrister-at-law on the Oxford circuit; marshal of the high court of Admiralty, 1751-53; secretary of Greenwich Hospital, 1753-57; a judge of great sessions for the counties of Merioneth, Caernarvonshire, and Anglesey 1757-85; recorder of Bristol, 1764-85; second justice of Chester, 1778-85; he resigned all his appointments in 1785 except the most lucrative, as commissary-general of the stores at Gibraltar, which paid him over £500 a year until his death; he published an important contribution to legal history, Observations on the Statutes, Chiefly the More Ancient (1766), which argued that much statute law was unnecessary and out of date, or duplicated common law; he is remembered however as much for his contributions to natural history and antiquarian studies as for his legal work, and especially for his publication of The Naturalist's Journal, a pro-forma diary for the systematic recording of observations, which was used by Gilbert White, whom he encouraged; he was appointed FSA and FRS, 1767, and published 24 papers in the journal of the former and 10 papers in the journal of the latter; he served on the Council of the Royal Society and used his influence to encourage polar exploration; he lived in the Inner Temple, and was one of the superintendents of its gardens from 1782; he died unmarried, 14 March, and was buried at the Temple Church, London, 18 March 1800;
(7) Admiral the Hon. Samuel Barrington (1730-1800), born 13 February 1729/30; an officer in the Royal Navy from 1740 (Lt., 1745; Cdr. 1746; Capt. 1747; Rear-Adm., 1778; Lt-Gen. of Marines, 1785-99; Admiral of the White, 1794-1800; General of Marines, 1799-1800), who proved himself brave and capable in action, and who was popular with his officers and men, although not always with his political masters; he died unmarried, 16 August 1800 and was buried at Shrivenham, where he is commemorated by a mural monument; his will was proved 3 September 1800;
(8) The Hon. Mary Barrington (c.1731-43); died young, September 1743;
(9) Rt. Rev. & Hon. Shute Barrington (1734-1826) (q.v.);
In 1710, he inherited the Beckett House, Shrivenham estate from John Wildman, to whom he was unrelated and with whom he was barely acquainted, Wildman considering that he was 'the most worthy of all his acquaintance of adoption, after the manner of the Romans, a mode of settling property of which he had always approved'. A few years later, in 1716, he was also made the heir of Francis Barrington of Tofts, to whom he was distantly related by marriage (Francis Barrington had married his cousin Elizabeth, daughter of Samuel Shute, sheriff of London).
He died as the result of a carriage accident, 14 December, and was buried at Shrivenham, 27 December 1734; his will was proved 13 June 1738. His widow died 8 February 1763; administration of her goods was granted 10 March 1763.
|William Wildman Barrington (1717-93),|
2nd Viscount Barrington
"in person genteel and well made, though under the middle size; his features rather delicate than masculine; his address gracious and engaging, particularly to the ladies; and he possesses a spirit of liberality towards them that never fails to please" [Town & Country Magazine, 8, 1771, p. 10]He married, 16 September 1740, Mary (1710-64), only daughter and heiress of Henry Lovell, youngest son of Sir Salathiel Lovell, kt., and widow of the Hon. Samuel Grimston, and had issue:
(1) Rothesia Anne Barrington (b. 1741); died in infancy;
(2) William Hill Barrington (b. 1743), born and baptised at St George, Hanover Sq., London, 4 February 1743/4; died in infancy.
It is said that his marriage was unhappy, and he is reputed to have solaced himself with a long-standing relationship with Lady Harrington, which lasted until 1770. After the death of his brother, Maj-Gen. John Barrington, in 1764, he provided for the latter's family, but seems to have stopped short of formally adopting them.
He inherited Beckett House, Shrivenham from his father in 1734 and came of age in 1738. He remodelled the house and laid out the grounds in 1757-69 to the designs of Sanderson Miller and Thomas Wright.
He died 1 February 1793 and was buried at Shrivenham, where he is commemorated by a monument designed by James Wyatt and carved by Richard Westmacott. His wife died 24 September 1764.
|Maj-Gen. John Barrington (1719-64)|
(1) William Barrington (1758-1801), 3rd Viscount Barrington (q.v.);
(2) Richard Barrington (1760-1814), 4th Viscount Barrington (q.v.);
(3) George Barrington (1761-1829), 5th Viscount Barrington (q.v.);
(4) Louisa Barrington (1764-1838?), born 8 December 1764 and baptised at St George, Hanover Sq., London, 10 January 1765; married 1st, 16 April 1787 at St Michael in Bedwardine, Worcester, Rev. Thomas Tristram (d. 1796) of Brookfield House, Belbroughton (Worcs), rector of Barkston, and had issue five sons and one daughter; married 2nd, 14 May 1799 at Bedminster (Som.), Thomas Cooke, and had issue one daughter; said to have died 1838.
He lived in London.
He died in Paris (France), 2 April 1764. His widow was living in December 1764, but perhaps died soon afterwards: his children were subsequently supported by their uncle, the 2nd Viscount.
|Rt. Rev. & Hon. Shute Barrington|
(1734-1826), Bishop of Durham
(2.1) Shute Barrington (b. & d. 1777); died in infancy, 30 May 1777.
He remodelled the Bishop's Palace at Salisbury to the designs of Sir Robert Taylor in 1783-85, and initiated the restoration of Salisbury Cathedral by James Wyatt in 1787-92. He employed Wyatt again to repair the east end of Durham cathedral in 1797-1805, although more controversial proposals for other parts of the building were not carried out. At Bishop Auckland, Wyatt made extensive alterations to the Castle in the Gothic style, c.1795, and designed a chapel in the Market Place which was completed by William Atkinson. The Bishop subsequently promoted Atkinson's career and as a trustee of his late brother commissioned plans by Atkinson for a new house at Beckett House which were never executed. In later life he spent only short periods each year in his diocese, and lived chiefly in a house in Worthing (Sussex), which he left to his housekeeper, and at Mongewell Park (Oxon), which he acquired through his second marriage in 1770 and probably remodelled. He bequeathed Mongewell to his great nephew, Uvedale T.S. Price.
He died aged 91 in London on 25 March 1826, following a stroke, and was buried at Mongewell, 31 March 1826; he is commemorated by a monument in Durham Cathedral. His will was proved 12 April 1826. His first wife died in childbirth (the daughter was stillborn), 28 May 1766. His second wife died 8 August 1807.
3rd Viscount Barrington
Image: Redwood Library and Athanaeum
He lived latterly at Corston (Som.), and did not inherit Beckett House.
He died 13 July 1801 and his burial has not been traced, but his will (proved in the PCC on 4 August 1801) expressly forbid the removal of his corpse to Shrivenham, and requested burial in the parish where he was living at the time of his death. His widow married 2nd, 2 February 1812 at Uley (Glos), Edward Thornycroft (d. 1817) of Thornycroft Hall (Ches.) and was buried at Gawsworth (Ches.), 13 April 1816; her will was proved in June 1816.
4th Viscount Barrington.
Image: Los Angeles County Museums
He lived abroad at Hamburg (Germany) and later at Abbeville and Valenciennes (France), and did not inherit Beckett House.
He died in at Valenciennes (France), 8 December 1813. His widow died in 1830.
Barrington, Rev. George (1761-1829), 5th Viscount Barrington. Third son of Maj-Gen. John Barrington (1719-64) and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Florentius Vassal, born 16 July 1761. Educated at Westminster (King's Scholar) and Christ Church, Oxford (matriculated 1778; BA 1782; MA 1785). Ordained deacon, 1784, and priest, 1785. A protégé of his uncle, the Rt. Rev. Shute Barrington (1734-1826), whose domestic chaplain he became in 1789. Vicar of Grantham (Lincs), 1786-92; rector of Great Ponton (Lincs), 1789-92 and of Sedgefield (Co. Durham), 1791-1829, where he rebuilt the rectory (now Ceddesfield Hall) following its destruction by fire in 1792; prebendary of Salisbury Cathedral, 1786-1802 and Durham Cathedral, 1796-1829. He succeeded his elder brother as 5th Viscount, 8 December 1813. He married, 12 February 1788 at St Marylebone (Middx), Elizabeth (1768-1841), daughter of Robert Adair, sergeant-surgeon to King George III, and his wife Lady Caroline, daughter of Willem Anne van Keppel, 2nd Earl of Albemarle, and had issue:
(1) William Keppel Barrington (1793-1867), 6th Viscount Barrington (q.v.);
(2) Capt. The Hon. George Barrington (1794-1835), born 20 November and baptised at Sedgefield, 17 December 1794; an officer in the Royal Navy (Lt., 1814; Cmdr., 1818; Capt., 1826; retired 1826); appointed by his father-in-law as Fourth Lord of the Admiralty, 1830-33; Whig MP for Sunderland, 1832-33; married, 15 January 1827 at Howick (Northbld.), Lady Caroline (1799-1875), third daughter of Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey, Prime Minister 1830-34, and had issue two sons and one daughter; died 2 June 1835; his widow became a Woman of the Bedchamber to Queen Victoria and superintendent of the royal princesses, 1837-75;
(3) The Hon. Samuel Shute Perceval Barrington (1796-1815), born 10 February and baptised at Sedgefield, 14 March 1796; an officer in the 1st Foot Guards (Ensign, 1814); killed in action at the Battle of Quatre Bras, 16 June 1815, two days before Waterloo; he was buried near the battlefield but reinterred in the crypt under the British Waterloo Campaign monument in 1890;
(4) John Robert Barrington (1797-1804), born 12 February and baptised at Sedgefield, 12 March 1797; died young, 30 November, and was buried in Durham Cathedral, 5 December 1804;
(5) The Hon. Augustus Barrington (1798-1860), born 19 July 1798; educated at Oriel College, Oxford (matriculated 1815) and Lincoln's Inn (admitted 1820; called 1823); Fellow of All Souls College, Oxford (BCL, 1822; DCL, 1827); barrister-at-law; Master of Greatham Hospital (Co. Durham), 1823-60, being appointed by his great-uncle, the Rt. Rev. Shute Barrington; died unmarried, 16 May, and was buried at Kensal Green (Middx), 22 May 1860; will proved 19 June 1860 (effects under £14,000);
(6) The Hon. Caroline Elizabeth Barrington (1799-1890), born 5 October and baptised at Sedgefield, 22 December 1799; married, 28 February 1843 at Shrivenham, Hon. Thomas Liddell (1800-56), amateur architect, second son of Thomas Liddell, 1st Baron Ravensworth, but had no issue; died 4 March 1890; will proved 31 March 1890 (effects £37,911);
(7) The Hon. Russell Barrington (1801-35), born 25 July and baptised at Sedgefield, 24 August 1801; educated at Oriel College, Oxford (admitted 1819; BA 1822); an officer in the Cumberland Militia (Ensign, 1825); joint Registrar, with his brother Lowther, of the Durham Consistory Court by 1832; married, 25 September 1832 at St George, Hanover Sq., London, Marion (1816-71), only daughter of John Lyon of Hetton House (Co. Durham) and had issue one son and one daughter; leased Sparsholt House near Wantage (Berks), which his widow retained until 1841; died 15 February 1835;
(8) The Hon. Frances Barrington (1802-49), born 20 October and baptised at Sedgefield, 22 December 1802; married, 25 October 1828, as his second wife, William Legge (1784-1853), 4th Earl of Dartmouth, and had issue six sons and nine daughters; died 11 August, and was buried at Holy Trinity, Minories, London, 18 August 1849;
(9) The Hon. Charlotte Belasyse Barrington (1804-73), born 30 March and baptised in Durham Cathedral, 9 June 1804; married, 28 January 1845 at St George, Hanover Sq., London, Rev. Henry Burton (1803-73), rector of Upton Cressett (Salop), but had no issue; died 16 June 1873;
(10) The Hon. and Rev. Lowther John Barrington (1805-97), born 17 July and was baptised at Sedgefield, 26 August 1805; educated at Oriel College, Oxford (matriculated 1822; BA 1825; MA 1829); ordained deacon and priest, 1830; registrar, with his brother Russell, of the Durham Consistory Court; stipendiary curate of Chenies (Bucks), 1830-40; rector of West Tytherley, 1840-50 and Watton-at-Stone (Herts), 1850-86; rural dean; hon. canon of St. Albans Cathedral; married, 26 October 1837 at St James, Piccadilly, Westminster (Middx), Lady Catherine Georgina (1814-85), daughter of Thomas Pelham, 2nd Earl of Chichester and had issue two sons and one daughter; died aged 91 on 10 March 1897; will proved 28 April 1897 (effects £7,198);
(11) Francis Daines Barrington (1807-08), born 20 March and baptised at Durham Cathedral, 16 April 1807; died in infancy, 25 February, and was buried at Durham Cathedral, 29 February 1808;
(12) The Hon. Henry Frederick Francis Adair Barrington (1808-82), born 28 July and baptised at Sedgefield, 21 August 1808; educated at Charterhouse, Christ Church, Oxford (matriculated 1827; BA 1830; MA 1833) and Lincoln's Inn (admitted 1830; called 1835); barrister-at-law; president of the Criminal Court of British Kaffraria; lived at Portland, Kysna, Cape of Good Hope (South Africa); married, 25 July 1848 at St Swithin, Walcot, Bath (Som.), Mary Georgiana (c.1830-1909), daughter of Col. Wright Knox of 87th Regt. and had issue three sons and four daughters; died 25 March 1882; his will was proved 1 January 1884 (effects in England, £494);
(13) The Hon. Georgiana Christina Barrington (1810-81), born 9 May and baptised at Sedgefield, 18 June 1810; married, 1 November 1847 at Shrivenham, James Hamilton Lloyd Anstruther (later Lloyd-Anstruther) (1806-82) of Hintlesham Hall (Suffk), and had issue four sons; died 11 July 1881;
(14) The Hon. Elizabeth Frances Barrington (1811-86), born 18 October and baptised at Sedgefield, 17 November 1811; married, 13 December 1836 at Shrivenham, as his second wife, Rev. Thomas Mills (1791-1879), chaplain in ordinary to Queen Victoria and rector of Stutton (Suffk), but had no issue; lived latterly at Hill House, Hatfield (Herts); died 26 July 1886; will proved 21 August 1886 (effects £18,874);
(15) The Hon. Arthur Barrington (1814-26), born 23 August, and baptised at Sedgefield, 4 September 1814; died young 'of a lingering illness', 27 March 1826.
He inherited Beckett House, Shrivenham from his elder brother in 1814.
He died unexpectedly of an inflammation of the lungs in Rome (Italy), 5 March 1829 and was buried at Campo Cestio Cemetery, Rome, where he is commemorated by a large monument; his will was proved 7 September 1829. His widow died 2 March 1841 and was buried at Shrivenham, where she is commemorated by a monument; her will was proved 2 June 1841.
|William Keppel Barrington,|
6th Viscount Barrington.
Image: National Portrait Gallery.
(1) George William Barrington (1824-86), 7th Viscount Barrington (q.v.);
(2) Percy Barrington (1825-1901), 8th Viscount Barrington (q.v.);
(3) The Hon. Charlotte Maria Barrington (1826-54), born 29 December 1826 and baptised at St. Marylebone, 26 June 1827; married, 30 April 1850 at Shrivenham, Thomas George Lyon-Bowes (1822-65), 12th Earl of Strathmore & Kinghorne, but had no issue; died in Florence (Italy), 3 November 1854;
(4) The Hon. Mary Frances Barrington (1830-1913), born 1 June and baptised at St Marylebone, 28 June 1830; married, 28 October 1856 at Shrivenham, Alfred Urban Sartoris (1826-1909) of Warnford Park (Hants) and later of Abbotswood (Glos) and had issue; died 11 October 1913; will proved 9 December 1913 (estate £12,481);
(5) The Hon. Caroline Susan Augusta Barrington (1834-1915), born 21 October 1834 and baptised at Shrivenham, 1 April 1835; married, 9 April 1856, James Charles Herbert Welbore Ellis Agar (1818-96), 3rd Earl of Normanton, of Somerley (Hants), and had issue four sons and four daughters; died 13 January 1915 and was buried at Ellingham (Hants); will proved 4 May 1915 (estate £34,857);
(6) The Hon. Augusta Anne Barrington (1836-1915), baptised at Shrivenham, 18 July 1836; married, 12 November 1878 at Shrivenham, Rt. Hon. and Most Rev. William Dalrymple Maclagan (1826-1910), Bishop of Lichfield, 1878-91 and Archbishop of York, 1891-1908, fifth son of Dr. David Maclagan, physician, and had issue one son (Sir Eric Maclagan, director of the Victoria & Albert Museum) and one daughter; died 17 December 1915; will proved 4 February 1916 (estate £5,266);
(7) The Hon. Adelaide Barrington (1839-62), born about January 1839; married, 28 November 1860, Charles Balfour (1823-72) of Newton Don (Berwicks) (who m2, Minnie Georgiana (d. 1927), daughter of Col. the Hon. Augustus F. Liddell, Deputy Ranger of Windsor Forest, and had further issue one son), and had issue one son; died 23 February 1862;
(8) The Hon. Sir William Augustus Curzon Barrington (1842-1922), born 28 January and baptised at Shrivenham, 29 March 1842; educated at Cheam, Woolwich, Mannheim (Germany) and Bonn (Germany); in HM diplomatic service, 1860-1904 (attaché, 1860-64; 3rd secretary, 1864-70; 2nd secretary, 1870-83; Secretary of Legation at Buenos Aires, 1883-84; chargé d'affaires and consul-general at Lima, 1884-85; consul-general for Hungary, 1885-88; secretary of Embassy at Madrid, 1888-92 and Vienna, 1892-96; minster plenipotentiary to Argentina and Paraguay, 1896-1902 and Stockholm, 1902-04); appointed KCMG, 1901; described by his obituarist as 'a clever man, and very popular everywhere'; died unmarried, 23 February, and was buried at Shrivenham, 2 March 1922; will proved 2 May 1922 (estate £38,074);
(9) The Hon. Sir Bernard Eric Edward Barrington (1847-1918), born 5 June and baptised at St George, Hanover Sq., London, 15 July 1847; educated at Eton; civil servant in the Foreign Office, 1867-1907 (private secretary to Under-Secretary for Foreign Affairs, 1868-74; précis writer to Secretary of State, 1874-80; acting 2nd secretary at Berlin congress, 1878; private secretary to Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs, 1885-92, 1895-1905; Asst. Under-Secretary of State for Africa, 1905-07); appointed KCB, 1902 (CB 1889); lived at Old Lodge, Wimbledon Common (Surrey); married, 24 February 1879, Christina (c.1848-1937), youngest daughter of William Graham of Burntshields (Renfrews.), but had no issue; died 24 February 1918; will proved 9 May 1918 (estate £16,244).
He lived at Sedgefield (Co. Durham) until he inherited Beckett House, Shrivenham from his father in 1829. He rebuilt the house in 1829-34 to the designs of his brother-in-law, Tom Liddell.
He died 9 February 1867 and was buried at Shrivenham. His widow died 22 March 1883.
|George William Barrington (1824-86),|
7th Viscount Barrington.
Image: British Museum.
(1) The Hon. Constance Mary Barrington (1847-1926), born 16 January and baptised at Shrivenham, 6 April 1847; married, 30 September 1868 at Shrivenham, Hesketh Lawrence Palk (1846-1903), 2nd Baron Haldon, eldest son of Sir Lawrence Palk, bt. and 1st Baron Haldon, and had issue two sons and two daughters; in 1882-83 she sought a judicial separation from her husband on the grounds of his adultery, and although this was refused, the couple subsequently lived apart; he in increasingly reduced circumstances in England, and she in Italy; she settled at the Palazzo Capomazza in Naples, where she became the leading figure in the English 'colony' and devoted herself to charitable works among the poor Neapolitans and to the creation of a garden; she died at Naples (Italy), 2 May 1926; will proved 15 July 1926 (effects in England £3,006);
(2) The Hon. Evelyn Laura Barrington (1848-1924), born 15 July and baptised at Shrivenham, 20 August 1848; married, 17 January 1867 at Shrivenham, George Grimston Craven (1841-83), 3rd Earl of Craven of Ashdown Park (Berks), Lord Lieutenant of Berkshire, 1881-83, and had issue four sons and two daughters; died 9 November 1924 and was buried at Shrivenham; will proved 28 January 1925 (estate £15,732);
(3) The Hon. Florence Isabel Barrington (1850-1928), born 17 September and baptised at Shrivenham, 22 December 1850; in the 1890s she became a Sister of Mercy in the Anglican community of St Mary, Wantage; died unmarried, 1 February 1928 and was buried at Shrivenham; will proved 2 April 1928 (estate £26,788).
He inherited Beckett House, Shrivenham from his father in 1867. After his death it passed to his widow for life, and she let it. In 1883 he also owned 1,655 acres in the West Riding of Yorkshire and 1,275 acres in Northumberland.
He died suddenly at Grimsthorpe Castle (Lincs), 6/7 November 1886, and was buried at Shrivenham; his will was proved 10 February 1887 (effects £43,868). His widow died 1 February 1898, and was buried at Shrivenham; her will was proved 28 February 1898 (effects £21,451).
|Percy Barrington (1825-1901),|
8th Viscount Barrington
Image: National Portrait Gallery
(1) The Hon. Alice Louisa Barrington (1846-1928), born 1 September and baptised at Bramley (Hants), 4 November 1846; married, 23 July 1868 at Westbury (Bucks), George Augustus Campbell (1847-1930) of Market House, Brackley (Northants) and London, partner in Cox & Co., bankers and army agents, second son of Col. George Herbert Frederick Campbell of Evenley Hall (Northants), and had issue four sons and one daughter; died 31 July 1928;
(2) Walter Bulkeley Barrington (1848-1933), 9th Viscount Barrington (q.v.);
(3) The Hon. Edith Barrington (1850-1919), baptised at Hardwicke with Tusmore (Oxon), 30 June 1850; she and her husband built Tile House, Lillingstone Dayrell (Bucks) to the designs of Ewan Christian in 1881-82; she married, 17 August 1869 at Westbury, Abraham John Robarts DL (1838-1926), partner in Robarts, Lubbock & Co., bankers, son of Abraham Wildey Robarts MP, and had issue two sons and five daughters; died at Richmond (Surrey), 20 June 1919.
He purchased Westbury Manor, nr Buckingham (Bucks) in 1854 and lived there until 1898 when he inherited Beckett House, Shrivenham from his elder brother's widow. He subsequently let both houses. His wife inherited the Blenheim estate in British Guiana on the death of her brother in 1834 and it formed part of her marriage settlement in 1845; by 1860 it had been sold to Charles McGarel.
He died at Westbury Manor, 29 April 1901, and was buried at Westbury, 4 May 1901; his will was proved 5 July 1901 (estate £62,185). His wife died 17 June 1884 and was buried at Westbury (Bucks), 21 June 1884; her will was proved 23 July 1884 (effects £3,115).
|Walter Bulkeley Barrington,|
9th Viscount Barrington.
Image: National Portrait Gallery.
(1.1) The Hon. Maude Louisa Barrington (1871-1924), born 25 January 1871; married, 6 August 1889 at Buckland (Berks), Hon. Eustace Robert Fitzgerald (1863-1944) of Graham Lodge, Great Bookham (Surrey), second son of John David Fitzgerald, a Lord of Appeal in Ordinary as Baron Fitzgerald (Life Peer, 1882), and had issue one son and two daughters; died 26 August 1924; administration of her goods was granted to her husband, 6 November 1924 (estate 8,758);
(1.2) The Hon. Violet Mary Barrington (1872-1928), born 3 May 1872; married, 27 April 1892 at Shrivenham, John Charles Evelyn Hope Brooke (1858-1934), of The Orchard, Turweston (Bucks), second son of Capt. John Brooke Johnson Brooke, Rajah Muda of Sarawak, and had issue five sons and five daughters; died 10 December 1928 and was buried at Turweston;
(1.3) William Reginald Shute Barrington (1873-1960), 10th Viscount Barrington, born 23 July 1873; educated at Eton and Trinity Hall, Cambridge (matriculated 1892); an officer in the 4th Battn., Oxfordshire Light Infantry (2nd Lt., 1895; Lt., 1895; resigned 1901; returned to colours as Capt., 1914 and Maj., 1916; resigned 1920); JP for Berkshire, 1907; succeeded his father as 10th Viscount and 4th Baron Shute, 12 September 1933; from 1899, he lived as part of the notorious 'Woodhouse circus', a menage-a-cinq with Violet Gordon-Woodhouse (1871-1948) and her husband Gordon and two other male lovers at Wootton Manor (Sussex), then Southover House (Sussex) and finally Nether Lypiatt Manor (Glos), where from 1923 he developed skills as a garden designer; after Violet and Gordon's deaths he moved to Hartfield (Sussex); he remained unmarried and died without issue, 4 October 1960, when he was succeeded by his nephew; will proved 26 January and 29 March 1961 (estate £189,914);
(1.4) The Hon. Hilda Margaret Barrington (1874-1929), born 21 July 1874; married, 28 March 1894 at Shrivenham, Maj-Gen. Sir Reginald Salmond Curtis KCMG CB DSO (1863-1922) of the Royal Engineers, and had issue three daughters; died 10 March 1929; will proved 7 June 1929 (estate £17,421);
(1.5) The Hon. (Walter) Bernard Louis Barrington (1876-1959), born 15 May 1876; educated at Charterhouse; admitted a solicitor, 1900; a partner in Norton, Rose, Barrington & Co. of London 1904-19; a member of the Council of the Law Society, 1909-11; after advising city firms for many years he became a partner in the issuing house, Helbert Wagg & Co. in 1919, where he regarded his task as being 'to keep us out of the Old Bailey!'; his tall, patrician demeanour and invariable dress of tailcoat, wing collar, bow tie and spats typified the City gent; he joined the board of many other firms, including the Loch Lomond Investment Trust, the Gresham Life and Fire Assurance societies, and the Legal & General Assurance Soc., of which he was a director from 1914 and chairman, 1945-58; he married, 11 December 1901, (Eleanor) Nina (d. 1947), daughter of Sir Thomas William Snagge KCMG, judge, and had issue one son (Patrick William Daines Barrington (1908-90), 11th and last Viscount Barrington and 5th and last Baron Shute) and two daughters; died 12 May 1959; will proved 31 July 1959 (estate £128,445);
(1.6) Lt-Col. the Hon. Rupert Edward Selborne Barrington (1877-1975), born 10 December 1877; educated at Charterhouse; an officer in the Imperial Yeomanry (Lt., 1900; resigned 1901), who served in the Boer War; then with South African Constabulary, 1901-07; an officer in the Scottish Horse (Capt., 1914; retired as Maj., 1921; but acting Maj. and Lt-Col. for much of the First World War (wounded; mentioned in despatches; DSO 1918); married, 10 September 1903 at Holy Trinity, Brompton (Middx), Mary Georgiana (1877-1971), younger daughter of Lt-Col. George Arthur Ferguson of Pitfour and had issue one son (who died without issue in 1980); died aged 97 on 7 August 1975; will proved 18 November 1975 (estate £17,074);
(1.7) The Hon. Percy Evelyn Barrington (1884-1911), born 19 July 1884; an officer in the County of London Imperial Yeomanry (2nd Lt., 1902); emigrated to Argentina; married, 13 October 1908 at St John, Buenos Aires (Argentina), Muriel Constance (1888-1928) (who m2, 19 September 1914, Alfred Fabian de Ledesma (1892-1979) and had issue two sons), only daughter of Isaac Beaman Oyler of Estancia La Reina, Sanabria, Cordova (Argentina) and had issue one son (who was killed in a flying accident in 1937); died in Buenos Aires (Argentina), 30 May 1911; administration of his goods granted 25 April 1911 (effects in England, £3,899).
He inherited from his father in 1901 Westbury Manor near Buckingham (which he sold to Lord Scott in 1902) and Beckett House, Shrivenham (which he continued to let at least until the First World War). He lived at Brackley Hill (Northants) but later moved to Beckett House, which he tried unsuccessfully to sell in 1922 and 1927, His trustees finally sold it in 1936 after the death of his widow.
He died 12 September 1933 and was buried at Shrivenham, where he is commemorated by a monument; his will was proved in November 1933 (estate £22,841). His first wife died 16 November, and was buried at Shrivenham, 19 November 1903. His widow died 22 October 1935.
Principal sourcesBurke's Peerage and Baronetage, 1876, pp. 71-72 and 1967, pp. 178-79; L. Dickins & M. Stanton (eds.), An eighteenth-century correspondence, being the letters... to Sanderson Miller, 1919, pp. 316-19, 387-88, 433-47; J. Douglas-Home, Violet, 1996; W. Hawkes, The diaries of Sanderson Miller of Radway, 2005, pp. 317-18; Sir H.M. Colvin, A biographical dictionary of British architects, 4th edn., 2008, pp. 257, 651, 695, 1168; G. Tyack, S. Bradley & Sir N. Pevsner, The buildings of England: Berkshire, 2nd edn., 2010, pp. 517-18; http://www.shrivenhamheritagesociety.co.uk/listing.asp?listID=1514; http://www.shrivenhamheritagesociety.co.uk/downloads/2.-who-built-the-new-beckett-house-2nd-copy.pdf;
Location of archives
Barrington family of Beckett House, Viscounts Barrington: deeds, manorial records and estate papers, 1523-1947 [Berkshire Record Office, D/EEl); family and estate papers, 18th-19th cents. [British Library, Add MSS 73546-73769]; Shrivenham estate accounts, 1793-1917 [Oxfordshire History Centre, Acc. 5972]
Barrington family of Westbury Manor: deeds and estate papers, 16th cent-1854 [Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies, D169]
Coat of arms
Argent, three chevronels gules, a label of three points azure.
Can you help?
- Does anyone know more about the adopted daughter of Rt. Rev. Shute Barrington?
- I should be most grateful if anyone can provide photographs or portraits of people whose names appear in bold above, and who are not already illustrated.
- As always, any additions or corrections to the account given above will be gratefully received and incorporated.
Revision and acknowledgements
This post was first published 19 March 2020 and was updated 22 March 2020.