Sunday 29 June 2014

(127) Anderson of Eyeworth, Manby, Lea Hall and Kilnwick Percy, baronets

Anderson of Broughton, baronets
Sir Edmund Anderson (c.1530-1605), whose family came from north Lincolnshire, is the classic example of a younger son whose natural abilities and start in life (an education at the Inns of Court and a legacy of £1,000) enabled him to build a successful career as a lawyer and judge, amass considerable wealth, and found a dynasty that eclipsed his forbears. The opinions of contemporaries and historians suggest that he was neither a pleasant nor a tolerant man, but these were not the qualities required for success in the Elizabethan court, where his application and ruthlessness throve. Beginning in the 1570s or 1580s he purchased a series of landed estates: Arbury in Warwickshire, which he exchanged in 1585 for Harefield Place (Middx); Stratton and Eyeworth in Bedfordshire (1588 and 1594) and Lea Hall, Manby and Huntingfield in Lincolnshire (1599 and later).  He died in office in 1605 and bequeathed all his property to his eldest surviving son, Sir Francis Anderson (c.1574-1616), who provided for his younger brother, William Anderson (b. c.1579) by giving him the Lea Hall estate and leasing him land at Broughton. From these sons descended the subsequent two main branches of the family.

Harefield Place (Middx), principal seat
of Sir Emund Anderson 1585-1601
Sir Francis Anderson (c.1574-1616) was probably responsible for building a new house at Eyeworth, unless his father had done so in the last years of his life. At his death, he divided his property between his two eldest sons. Edmund Anderson (1607-38) received Stratton and Eyeworth, and Stephen Anderson (b. 1608) got Manby. When Edmund died young his estates seem to have passed to his widow, and on her death were further divided, Stratton passing to his son-in-law, Sir John Cotton (1621-1702), who kept the great Cotton library at Stratton and thereafter descending with the Cotton estates; and Eyeworth passing to his nephew, Sir Stephen Anderson (c.1641-1707), the eldest son of Stephen Anderson (b. 1608). 

Sir Stephen Anderson (c.1641-1707) was created 1st baronet of Eyeworth in 1664, and seems to have been resident there in the 1660s. But after his first wife died in 1667 he seems to have moved to London and one of his younger brothers, Edmund Anderson (d. 1724) lived at Eyeworth.  It seems likely that at this period the house became neglected and perhaps in the 1720s it was reduced and remodelled to produce the small lodge illustrated below: it was never again a principal seat of the family, and the 2nd and 3rd baronets lived in London.  When the 3rd baronet died in 1773, Eyeworth passed to their distant cousins, the Anderson-Pelhams of Brocklesby, who sold it in 1804 to Lord Ongley, and all trace of the house at Eyeworth disappeared soon afterwards.

Stephen Anderson (b. 1608) of Manby was an ardent Royalist during the Civil War, maintaining a troop of horse for the king's use at his own cost for several years, selling an estate at Appleby to fund his loyal support for the Crown, and having his house at Manby sacked by the Parliamentarian forces no less than three times. It was perhaps as recompense for these hardships that his eldest son was made a baronet after the Restoration.  Sir Stephen having been provided for by his uncle's bequest of Eyeworth, however, the Manby estate descended to his next brother, Francis Anderson (c.1643-1706). His son, Francis Anderson (1675-1747), married Mary Pelham of Brocklesby, and as a result of this alliance, two generations later Charles Anderson (1749-1823) of Manby inherited the great Brocklesby estate and took the additional name of Pelham.  In 1794 he was elevated to the peerage as 1st Baron Yarborough, and his descendants, the Earls of Yarborough, will be the subject of a future post.

The second son of Sir Edmund Anderson, the Elizabethan judge, was William Anderson (b. c.1579) of Lea Hall near Gainsborough. It was probably he who built a new early 17th century house at Lea Hall which survived until the 1970s. His son and heir, Sir Edmund Anderson (1605-61) was also made a baronet at the Restoration, and took his title from his leasehold interest in land at Broughton. This is confusing, because the family's main estate at Broughton, Manby Hall, was never in his possession. He also inherited the Kilnwick Percy estate in the East Riding of Yorkshire from his first wife's family, but Lea Hall seems to have remained the centre of the family's interests until about 1720, when Sir Edmund Anderson (1687-1765), 5th bt., remodelled Kilnwick Percy to the designs of William Etty of York. Sir Edmund was a noted collector, especially of musical instruments, and is said to have owned a Stradivarius violin. His successor was the Rev. Sir William Anderson (1722-85), 6th bt., who was crippled by a fall from his horse in 1783 and died two years later.  At the urging of his son and heir, Kilnwick Percy was sold in 1784 and thereafter the family returned to Lea Hall, which was modernised in the 1780s and 1800s. Sir Charles Henry John Anderson (1804-91), the 9th and last baronet, was an archetypal Victorian baronet: interested in church politics and Gothic architecture, and an active antiquarian and local historian. He was a friend of John Loughborough Pearson, the church architect, and in the 1850s employed him to make alterations to the house, including the addition of an incongruous stair tower. When he died at the age of 87, having outlived all his sons, the baronetcy of Broughton became extinct and the estates passed to his daughter, Margaret Louise Duncombe-Anderson, who sold the house in 1913 and the estate in the 1930s. Lea Hall passed into institutional use during the war and was demolished in 1972.  Today, of all the family's houses, only Kilnwick Percy remains substantially intact: Eyeworth and Lea Hall and Stratton have been demolished, and only unspeaking lumps of walling remain of Manby.

Eyeworth Manor, Bedfordshire

Eyeworth Manor: early 19th century drawing by Thomas Fisher.
Image: Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service Z105/14

Although the Andersons were buried with splendid monuments at Eyeworth in the 17th century, there is no trace today of the mansion of 25 hearths which they occupied in 1671, and the only known illustration of the building would appear to be Thomas Fisher's drawing of the roofless fragment that survived in the early 19th century, reproduced above. This shows that the house was situated near the church, and hints at two phases of work, with the external chimneystacks and mullioned windows in the rear elevation speaking of the early 17th century and the large moulded window frames in the side elevation of late 17th or early 18th century alterations.  The original house was presumably built for Sir Edmund Anderson or his son Sir Francis, but the compact form of the building drawn by Fisher perhaps suggests that at some point in the 18th century most of the mansion was demolished and a small part was remodelled to provide a steward's house or a lodge where the owner could stop for an occasional night or two to conduct estate business.

Descent: sold 1594 to Sir Edmund Anderson (1530-1605), kt.; to son, Sir Francis Anderson (d. 1616), kt.; to son, Stephen Anderson (b. 1608); to son, Sir Stephen Anderson (c.1641-1707), 1st bt.; to son, Sir Stephen Anderson (1678-1741), 2nd bt.; to son, Sir Stephen Anderson (1708-73), 3rd bt.; to kinsman, Charles Anderson later Pelham (1749-1823), 1st Baron Yarborough, who sold 1804 to Lord Ongley.

Lea Hall, Gainsborough, Lincolnshire

Lea Hall in the 20th century: the south front. Image: Matthew Beckett.
The medieval manor house at Lea was on a moated site a mile east of the church.  After the Andersons acquired the estate in 1599 a new brick house was built in the early 17th century, and it seems likely that the narrow and closely-spaced brick gables in the centre of both main fronts survived from that time. In the 18th century, when the family's main estate was at Kilnwick Percy in Yorkshire, the house was mainly used as a farmhouse, but the house was updated and improved in the Georgian style after the family moved back.  Work was probably done at two dates: in about 1780-85 when Sir Edmund Anderson, 7th bt., settled there and persuaded his crippled father to sell up the Yorkshire estate and move in with him; and about 1802-03 when work is recorded for Sir Charles Anderson, 8th bt. At the latter date the work included the addition of a new entrance at the west end of the house.

Further work was carried out in the 1840s and 1850s for Sir Charles Anderson, 9th bt., who succeeded in 1846. In 1849 he created a terrace around the house, and in 1855-57 he brought in J.L. Pearson to remodel the house. Pearson had already worked on Lea church in 1847-49 (one of his earliest commissions), and seems to have been a friend of Anderson, who secured him several important commissions. He built a stair turret onto the south front and perhaps altered the wing next to it.  The ground-floor doorway was formed of alternating red and yellow bricks, and there were chequered bands of similar brick above the doorway and below the ogee lead cap of the tower. In its use of polychromy and rather heavy and unhistorical forms, the work reflected contemporary architectural trends but did not make the house more attractive.

Lea Hall, from an engraving of 1875.
In 1891 the Lea Hall estate passed to the 9th and last baronet's granddaughter, who first let it and then put it up for sale in 1913.  The principal apartments were then a dining room, drawing room, library (with an oak chimneypiece from Beswick Hall (Yorks)), billiard room and lounge and nine principal bedrooms, and the overall feel of the main rooms remained predominantly Georgian. By 1937 the house was unoccupied and the army moved in during the second world war, when it was used as the headquarters of a searchlight battery, a military hospital, and a prisoner of war camp.  After the war an order of nuns from Ireland bought the house and established a convent school there, but in 1963 the Parish Council bought the house and six and a half acres of land and demolished the house in 1972.  The main part of the agricultural estate, 1790 acres, was bought by the Montefiore family in the late 1930s, and the Montefiore Trust sold it to the Lands Improvement Group in 1978.

Descent: sold 1599 to Sir Edmund Anderson (1530-1605), kt.; to son, William Anderson (fl. early 17th cent.); to son, Sir Edmund Anderson (1605-61), 1st bt.; to son, Sir John Anderson (1628-70), 2nd bt.; to son, Sir Edmund Anderson (c.1661-76), 3rd bt.; to uncle, Sir Edmund Anderson (1629-1703), 4th bt.; to son, Sir Edmund Anderson (1687-1765), 5th bt.; to son, Rev. Sir William Anderson (1722-85), 6th bt.; to son, Sir Edmund Anderson (1758-99), 7th bt.; to brother, Rev. Sir Charles John Anderson (1767-1846), 8th bt.; to son, Sir Charles Henry John Anderson (1804-91), 9th bt.; to granddaughter, Margaret Louise Anderson (1876-1952), wife of Wilfred Arthur Duncombe Anderson (1871-1952), who sold 1913 to Walter Boynton... sold c.1947 to an order of nuns; sold 1963 to Lea Parish Council and demolished 1972.

Manby Hall, Broughton, Lincolnshire

Manby Hall drawn by J.C. Nattes for Sir Joseph Banks c.1800 (Lincoln Central Library)
Little is known of the house which the Andersons had at Broughton in the 17th century, which seems to have been extensively remodelled in brick in 1770-73 at a cost of £2,255. A drawing of the house made soon afterwards is quite hard to interpret, but shows a nine bay two-storey main front with dormers in the attic behind a low parapet and two gable-ends in the left-hand return elevation with a couple of bays between them.  This suggests that the house had a triple-pile layout, which would have made it a very substantial building. 

Manby Hall after the alterations of 1862-63, from a lithograph by J.H. Storey. Image: Stephen Hill.

After Charles Pelham succeeded to the Brocklesby estate, Manby became a secondary seat and seems to have been used by the heir to the Brocklesby estate or occasionally as a base for shooting parties. In May 1862 a three-day sale was held of the old-fashioned contents of the house, preparatory to a major programme of alterations. As part of these changes a new front door was made in the side elevation, a long veranda was added to the main front, and the interior layout was altered; the original front door was moved one bay to the left. Curiously, after these changes the family do not seem to have used the house much, and by 1872 the house was occupied by farmers on the estate. After 1892 it ceases to be mentioned in directories, and by 1900 it was in a seriously dilapidated condition; a pair of cottages in Broughton village were built with materials (including a staircase) from Manby. 

Manby Hall from an old postcard, c.1910, showing the house in a dilapidated condition.

By 1921 the roof had fallen in and there was subsequently a damaging fire. By the middle of the 20th century the house was a total ruin, and today although some brick and stone walls survive deeply buried in trees close to the edge of the Scunthorpe steelworks, they are hard to correlate with the drawings and photographs of the intact house.

Descent: Stephen Anderson (b. 1608); to son Francis Anderson (c.1643-1706); to son Francis Anderson (1675-1747); to son, Fran cis Anderson (1711-85); to son, Charles Anderson (later Pelham) (1749-1823), 1st Baron Yarborough; to son, Charles Anderson-Pelham (1781-1846), 2nd Baron & 1st Earl of Yarborough; to son, Charles Anderson Worsley Anderson-Pelham (1809-62), 2nd Earl of Yarborough; to son, Charles Anderson-Pelham (1835-75), 3rd Earl of Yarborough; to son, Charles Alfred Worsley Anderson-Pelham (later Pelham) (1859-1936), 4th Earl of Yarborough; to son, Sackville George Anderson-Pelham (later Pelham) (1888-1948), 8th Baron Fauconberg, 14th Baron Conyers and 5th Earl of Yarborough; to brother, Marcus Herbert Anderson-Pelham (later Pelham) (1893-1966), 6th Earl of Yarborough, who sold 1950 to Hugh Richard Arthur Grosvenor (1879-1953), 2nd Duke of Westminster...

Kilnwick Percy Hall, Yorkshire (ER)

Kilnwick Percy Hall in its heyday, about 1900.
"The prospect of Kildwick Perse as improv'd by Sir Edm[un]d Anderson Bart" by Samuel Buck, c.1719-23.
Image: British Library (MS. Lansdowne 914)
Only a datestone of 1574 survives from the house built by Thomas and Jane Wood in that year, and there are also no surviving features from the remodelling of 1720, which was probably by William Etty, who provided estimates for new doors and windows in that year. Etty produced a typical early 18th century two-storey house with a five bay centre and projecting two-bay wings, central doorcase, and dormers in the roof. The one distinctive peculiarity was what appear to be a pair of quatrefoil panels in the gable-ends.  The house was again refronted for Robert Denison at the end of the 18th century, and further altered and greatly enlarged by Arthur Duncombe, who purchased the estate in 1840. 

Kilnwick Percy Hall: entrance front: evidence of the demolitions of 1947-49 can be seen on the left of the picture.

Kilnwick Percy Hall: side elevation
He added the Greek Revival porte-cochère and the balustraded parapet and thus gave the house its present appearance. The architects of this transformation may have been J.B. & W. Atkinson, who later made a survey plan of the house. The interior was also largely redecorated in the 1840s; James Pulham was involved in providing a 'great number of pilasters, and pedestals in imitation of various marbles' in 1845, and the ballroom, with ornate panelling in a French Rococo style, has overdoor paintings signed by R.W. Buss, 1848.

Large as the house now is with its twelve bay side elevation, it was once considerably bigger, for a sizeable part to the left of the porte-cochère was demolished in 1947-49.  This included the main staircase, parts of which, including iron railings with stylized leaves, have been reconstructed elsewhere in the house. The house became a Buddhist centre in 1986. On the Pocklington road there is a Greek Revival lodge of c.1845 with three Ionic porticoes and two little porches as well.

Descent: built for Thomas Wood (d. 1584)... Barney Wood; to niece, Mary Wood, wife of Sir Edmund Anderson (1605-61), 1st bt.; to son, Sir John Anderson (1628-70), 2nd bt.; to son, Sir Edmund Anderson (c.1661-76), 3rd bt.; to uncle, Sir Edmund Anderson (1629-1703); to son, Sir Edmund Anderson (1687-1765), 5th bt.; to son, Rev. Sir William Anderson (1722-85), 6th bt., who sold 1784 to Robert Denison (d. 1833); to son, Robert Denison, who sold 1840 to Admiral the Hon. Arthur Duncombe (1806-89); to son, Maj-Gen. Charles Wilmer Duncombe (1838-1911); to nephew, Basil Archibald Charles Duncombe (1870-1930), who sold 1919 to Henry Whitworth (1870-1930); sold after his death to Edmund Frank Huxtable (1898-1961); to son, John Ronald Legard Huxtable (1925-96), who sold 1986 to Madhyamaka Buddhist Centre.

The Anderson family of Eyeworth, baronets

Anderson, Edward (fl. early 16th cent.). Son of Henry Anderson (d. 1557) of Wrawby (Lincs). He married and had issue:
(1) Thomas Anderson; married Helena (d. 1605), daughter of George Dallison of Laughton and had issue four sons and five daughters; ancestor of the Andersons of Dunholme;
(2) Richard Anderson of Roxby; died unmarried;
(3) Sir Edmund Anderson (c.1530-1605), kt. (q.v.)
His date of death is unknown.

Sir Edmund Anderson.
Image: National Portrait Gallery
Anderson, Sir Edmund (c.1530-1605), kt, of Eyeworth. Son of Edward Anderson of Flixborough (Lincs), born 1530/40. Educated at Lincoln College, Oxford and/or St John's College, Cambridge (admitted 1549) and Inner Temple (admitted 1550; reader, 1567 and 1574); barrister-at-law; serjeant-at-law, 1577-81 and Queen's serjeant from 1578; assize judge on the Eastern circuit, 1581-82; Lord Chief Justice of Common Pleas, 1582-1605; knighted in 1583. Commissioner of Sewers in the Parts of Holland (Lincs) by 1598. In his judicial capacity he was involved in many of the great political trials of the Elizabethan period, including Edmund Campion, 1582; Mary, Queen of Scots, 1586; the Earl of Arundel, 1589; the Earl of Essex, 1601 and Sir Walter Raleigh, 1603. He had a reputation for both great learning and religious conservatism: his even-handed severity towards both Catholics and Puritans earned him the favour of both the Queen and her Privy Council. Allen Boyer has called him 'an angry man in the courtroom and a resentful man afterward, an advocate who begrudged other lawyers' victories'. He married, c.1566, Magdalen (d. 1622), daughter of Christopher Smith of Annables (Herts) and had issue, with two other daughters who died young:
(1) Catherine Anderson (c.1568-1639); married, 14 April 1591 aged 23, at Harefield (Middx), Sir George Booth (1566-1652), 1st bt. of Dunham Massey (Cheshire) and had issue five sons and seven daughters; died 13 February and was buried at Bowdon (Cheshire), 26 February 1638/9;
(2) Margaret Anderson (c.1570-1630), married, July 1590, Sir John Monson (d. 1641), 1st bt. of South Carlton (Lincs) and had issue four sons and five daughters; buried at South Carlton, 3 August 1630;
(3) Edward Anderson (1573-c.1603); educated at Oxford (matriculated 1588) and Inner Temple (admitted 1590); MP for Liverpool, 1601; married Elizabeth (d. 1605) (who m2, 5 July 1604 at St Saviour, Southwark (Surrey), Sir Edmund Bell (1562-1607), kt., of Upwell (Norfk)), daughter of Thomas Inkpen, but died without issue in the lifetime of his father, about 1603;
(4) Sir Francis Anderson (c.1574-1616) (q.v.);
(5) Elizabeth Anderson (c.1578-1619); married, 1598, Sir Hatton Fermor (1580-1640) (who m2, 11 February 1620/21, Anna, daughter of Sir William Cokayne, Lord Mayor of London) of Easton Neston (Northants) but had no issue; died at Easton Neston (Northants), 1619;
(6) William Anderson (b. c.1579; fl. 1623) (q.v.);
(7) Griseld Anderson (b. c.1588); married Sir John Sheffield of West Butterwick, Owston (Lincs) (who drowned while crossing the R. Humber in 1614), son of Edmund Sheffield, 1st Earl of Mulgrave, and had issue a son (later 2nd Earl);
From the profits of his long legal practice and judicial office he purchased the Eyeworth estate in about 1594, the Stratton estate in 1588 and the Lea Hall estate at Gainsborough (Lincs) in 1599, the Manby Hall estate in Broughton (Lincs) and the manor of Huntingfield Hall at Kirton-in-Holland (Lincs). He also acquired Arbury (Warks) which he exchanged in 1585 with John Newdegate for Harefield Place (Middx), where he entertained Queen Elizabeth, but which he sold in 1601. He may have built the family's house at Eyeworth.
He died 1 August 1605, aged 75, and was buried at Eyeworth, 2 August 1605. His widow died 1 January 1622 and was buried with him at Eyeworth, 24 January 1622.

Anderson, Sir Francis (c.1574-1616), kt, of Eyeworth. Elder surviving son of Sir Edmund Anderson (c.1530-1605), kt. and his wife Magdalen, daughter of Christopher Smith of Annables (Herts), born about 1574. Educated at Oxford University (matriculated 1588 aged 14) and Inner Temple (admitted 1590). He married 1st, c.1606, Judith (d. 1608), daughter of Sir Stephen Soame, kt. of Thurlow Hall (Suffolk), Lord Mayor of London, and 2nd, 1610, Audrey (d. 1652) (who m2, 1617 or 1618, Sir Francis Leigh, 1st Earl of Chichester and had further issue), eldest daughter of Sir John Boteler alias Butler of Hatfield Woodhall (Herts), later 1st Baron Butler of Bramfield, and had issue:
(1.1) Edmund Anderson (1607-38) (q.v.);
(1.2) Stephen Anderson (b. 1608; fl. 1664) [see below, under Anderson of Manby];
(2.1) Sir John Anderson (d. 1630), 1st bt., of St. Ives (Hunts); created a baronet, 3 January 1628; died unmarried and without issue at Apps Court (Surrey), 1630;
(2.2) Frances Anderson; died unmarried;
(2.3) Mary Anderson; died young;
(2.4) Elizabeth Anderson (b. & d. 1614), baptised 25 January 1613/4; buried 26 January 1613/4.
He inherited the family estates from his father in 1605 but granted Lea Hall to his younger brother, William, in 1607 and leased land at Broughton to him for 75 years. At his death Eyeworth and Stratton passed to his elder son and Manby to his second son.
He died 22 December and was buried at Eyeworth, 24 December 1616; his will was proved 27 December 1616 and 5 August 1622. His first wife died 4 July 1608. His widow (later Lady Chichester) died 16 September 1652.

Anderson, Edmund (1607-38), of Stratton. Elder son of Sir Francis Anderson (d. 1616), kt. and his first wife Judith, daughter of Sir Stephen Soame, kt., Lord Mayor of London, baptised in London, 18 May 1607. Educated at Inner Temple (admitted 1626). He married, c.1630, Alice (b. c.1613) (who m2, 1640, Sir Thomas Cotton (c.1594-1662), 2nd bt. of Conington and had further issue), daughter and heir of Sir John Constable, kt. of Dromanby (Yorks NR) and had issue:
(1) Dorothy Anderson (b. c.1631); married, 8 June 1644, Sir John Cotton (1621-1702), 3rd bt. of Conington (Hunts) (who m2, 1658, Elizabeth Honywood) and had issue seven sons, who all predeceased their father, and two daughters.
He inherited the Stratton and Eyeworth estates from his father in 1616.  At his death his estates probably passed to his widow, and on her death Stratton passed to his son-in-law, Sir John Cotton of Conington and Eyeworth to his nephew, Sir Stephen Anderson (c.1641-1707).
He died 4 April 1638 amd was buried at Eyeworth, 5 April 1638. His widow's date of death is unknown.

Anderson, Sir Stephen (c.1641-1707), 1st bt., of Eyeworth. Eldest son of Stephen Anderson (b. 1608) of Manby and his wife Catherine, daughter of Sir Edwyn Sandys of Ombersley (Worcs), born about 1641. He was created a baronet, 13 July 1664. High Sheriff of Bedfordshire, 6-20 December 1664. He married 1st, 2 June 1664, Mary (d. 1667), daughter of Sir John Glynne, kt., Lord Chief Justice during the Commonwealth, and 2nd, 8 April 1673 at Hackney, Judith (1648-88), daughter of Sir John Lawrence, kt., alderman of London, and had issue:
(1.1) Anne Anderson (1666-1701), born 24 February and baptised 2 March 1665/6; married, 11 September 1683, Sir Willoughby Hickman (1659-1720), 3rd bt., of Gainsborough (Lincs) and had issue six sons and four daughters; buried 15 May 1701;
(2.1) Abigail Anderson (1674-1733), baptised 8 May 1674; died unmarried, 29 November and was buried at Eyeworth, 8 December 1733;
(2.2) Sir Stephen Anderson (1678-1740), 2nd bt. (q.v.);
(2.3) Penelope Anderson (d. 1720); died unmarried and was buried at Eyeworth, 10 April 1720;
(2.4) Katherine Anderson (1683-1705), baptised at St Bride, Fleet St., London, 25 May 1683; died unmarried, 9 April and was buried at Eyeworth, 17 April 1705.
He inherited the Eyeworth estate from his uncle's widow, but seems to have moved to London after the death of his first wife in 1667 and to have allowed his younger brother Edmund to live at Eyeworth. He is said to have lived later at Bedford Walks in London.
He died in London, 19 January and was buried at Eyeworth, 28 January 1706/7; administration of his good was granted 2 April 1707. His first wife died 25 February and was buried at Eyeworth, 27 February 1667. His second wife was buried at St Helen, Bishopsgate, London, 10 May 1688.

Anderson, Sir Stephen (1678-1740), 2nd bt., of Eyeworth. Only son of Sir Stephen Anderson (c.1641-1707), 1st bt., and his second wife, Judith, daughter of Sir John Lawrence, kt., baptised at St Helen, Bishopgate, 1 October 1678. Educated at University College, Oxford (matriculated 1696). Succeeded his father as 2nd bt., 19 January 1707. He married, 17 August 1703 at St Michael, Cornhill, London, Anne (1684-1719), daughter of Sir Martin Lumley, 3rd bt. of Bradfield (Essex) and had issue:
(1) Anne Anderson (b. 1704), baptised 14 May 1704 at St Andrew Holborn, London; married, 1732, Rt. Rev. Dr. Anthony Ellis (1690-1761), rector of St Olave, Old Jewry, London, canon of Gloucester 1724-61 and Bishop of St Davids, 1753-61, and had issue a daughter;
(2) Judith Anderson (1706-41), probably the unnamed Anderson child baptised at St Andrew Holborn, London, 25 August 1706; died unmarried, 29 January 1740/1;
(3) Elizabeth Anderson (d. 1720); died unmarried and was buried 11 July 1720;
(4) Mary Anderson (1707-74), baptised 3 November 1707 at St Andrew Holborn, London; married, 22 January 1729/30, Justinian Isham (1707-43) but had no issue; died 25 April and was buried 5 May 1774;
(5) Sir Stephen Anderson (1708-73), 3rd bt. (q.v.);
(6) Edmund Anderson (1709-66), baptised 7 December 1709 at St Andrew Holborn, London; educated at Magdalene College, Cambridge (matriculated 1731; BA 1734/5; MA 1738); died unmarried, 9 February 1766;
(7) Frances Anderson (b. 1711), baptised 4 February 1710/11 at St Andrew Holborn, London; married, 11 February 1738/9, Edward Radcliffe of London, Turkey merchant; died without issue;
(8) Henry Anderson (b. 1712), baptised 2 March 1711/2 at St Andrew Holborn, London; died in infancy;
(9) Jonathan Anderson (1713-35), baptised 12 June 1713 at St Andrew Holborn, London; died unmarried and was buried 11 April 1735;
(10) Henry Anderson (1715-61), baptised 8 January 1715 at St Andrew Holborn, London; educated at Inner Temple (admitted 1732; called to bar, 1739); barrister-at-law; died unmarried, 18 March and was buried 5 April 1761;
(11) Katherine Anderson (b. & d. 1719), born 24 and died 26 October 1719.
He inherited the Eyeworth estate from his father in 1707 but lived in Red Lion Square, London and later in Southwark.
He died 21 October and was buried at Eyeworth, 30 October 1740; his will was proved 3 November 1741. His wife died 27 October 1719 and was buried at Eyeworth, 12 November 1719; administration of her goods was granted 9 September 1720.

Anderson, Sir Stephen (1708-73), 3rd bt., of Eyeworth. Eldest son of Sir Stephen Anderson (1678-1740), 2nd bt., and his wife Anne, daughter of Sir Martin Lumley, bt. of Bradfield (Essex), baptised 15 November 1708 at St Andrew Holborn, London. He married 1st, February 1731/2 in the chapel at Whitehall Palace, Elizabeth (d. 1769), daughter of Miles Barne of London, merchant, and 2nd, 2 April 1771 at Haddington (East Lothian), Mary (d. 1808) (who m2., 30 March 1773, Rear-Adm. the Hon. Thomas Shirley (d. 1814) of Horkston Hall (Lincs)), daughter of William Elsegood of Norwich, and had issue:
(1.1) Stephen Anderson (b. 1737), baptised 21 November 1737 at St George, Bloomsbury; died young in the lifetime of his father.
He inherited the Eyeworth estate from his father in 1740 and Bower Hall (Essex) from a distant kinswoman in 1751.  At his death Eyeworth passed to the Andersons of Manby and descended from them to the Earls of Yarborough. Bower Hall passed to his sister Anne and her descendants.
He died 19 February and was buried at Eyeworth, 28 February 1773, when the baronetcy became extinct; his will was proved 25 February 1773 and 28 July 1787. His first wife died 9 April and was buried at Eyeworth, 26 April 1769. His widow died in 1808.

The Anderson family of Manby Hall, Broughton (Lincs)

Anderson, Stephen (b. 1608; fl. 1664) of Manby. Second son of Sir Francis Anderson (c.1574-1616), kt. of Eyeworth and his first wife, Judith, daughter of Sir Stephen Soame, kt, born 1608. An ardent Royalist in the Civil War, who was said to have almost ruined himself in support of the cause; he maintained a troop of horse at his own charge for several years. His house at Manby was sacked three times and all his livestock and furniture stolen. He was in the siege of Newark, and ultimately compounded for his estate for £800. He married Catherine (d. 1657), daughter of Sir Edwyn Sandys of Northbourne (Kent) and had issue:
(1) Mary Anderson; died young;
(2) Katherine Anderson (b. & d. 1640), baptised 2 July at St. Andrew Holborn, London, and died 5 September 1640;
(3) Penelope Anderson (1641-92), baptised 15 June 1641 at Broughton (Lincs); married, 12 July 1659, Sir William Glynne (1638-90), 1st bt. of Bicester (Oxon);
(4) Sir Stephen Anderson (c.1641-1707) (q.v.);
(5) Edward Anderson (b. c.1642); died young;
(6) Francis Anderson (c.1643-1706) of Manby Hall in Broughton (Lincs) (q.v.);
(7) Catherine Anderson; died young;
(8) Edmund Anderson (d. 1724) of Eyeworth; died 6 August 1724;
(9) Edwin Anderson (d. 1717) of Thonock Hall; married 1st, 8 May 1675, Elizabeth Wavin and had issue one son, and 2nd, 26 November 1679, Mary (1661-1716), daughter of Henry Smith of Scotter, and had issue two sons and one daughter; buried 21 October 1717;
(10) Elizabeth Anderson; died unmarried;
(11) Judith Anderson (b. c.1658); married, 1680 at Hampstead (Middx), John Lister (d. 1710) of Bawtry (Yorks) and had issue;
(12) Frances Anderson; died unmarried.
He inherited the Manby estate from his father in 1616, and also owned Appleby (Lincs) which was sold to provide funds for the Royalist cause.
He died after July 1664 and possibly after 1667/8. His wife was buried 8 March 1656/7.

Anderson, Francis (c.1643-1706). Second surviving son of Stephen Anderson (fl. 1655) and his wife Catherine, daughter of Sir Edwyn Sandys of Northbourne (Kent), born about 1643. During the Civil War he and one of his sisters were separated from the family and carried about by a nursemaid from place to place for almost a year before they could be reunited with their parents. He married, January 1674/5, Elizabeth (d. 1694), daughter and co-heir of John Lodington of Fulnetby (Lincs) and had issue four sons:
(1) Francis Anderson (1675-1747) (q.v.);
(2) Stephen Anderson (b. 1677), born 20 July and baptised 29 July 1677; living in 1705;
(3) John Anderson (b. 1683), born 30 May 1683; living in 1705;
(4) Edmund Anderson (b. 1685), born 18 March 1684/5; living in 1705.
He inherited the Manby estate from his father.
He died in 1706, aged 63. His will was proved 20 June 1706.

Anderson, Francis (1675-1747).  Eldest son of Francis Anderson (c.1643-1706) and his wife Elizabeth, daughter and co-heir of John Lodington of Fulnetby (Lincs), born 1675. High Sheriff of Lincolnshire, 1714. He married, 17 May 1708 at St Pancras (Middx), Mary (1677-1732), eldest daughter of Charles Pelham of Brocklesby (Lincs), and had issue:
(1) Charlotte Anderson (b. c.1709);
(2) Eliza Maria Anderson (1710-32), born 3 May 1710; died unmarried, 1732;
(3) Francis Anderson (1711-85) (q.v.);
(4) Charles Anderson (1712-80), born 12 December 1712; died unmarried, 28 January 1780.
He inherited the Manby estate from his father in 1706.
He died 29 September 1747.

Anderson, Francis (1711-58). Son of Francis Anderson (1675-1747) and his wife Mary, eldest daughter of Charles Pelham of Brocklesby (Lincs), born 29 July 1711. He married Elizabeth Carter of Redbourne, and had issue:
(1) Charles Anderson (later Pelham) (1749-1823), 1st Baron Yarborough, who will be treated in a future post on the Anderson-Pelham family of Brocklesby;
(2) Frances Maria Anderson (1750-61), born 24 May 1750; died young, 8 February 1761;
(3) Lt. Col. Francis Evelyn Anderson (1752-1821), born 8 April and baptised 5 May 1752; educated at Eton; served in the army (cornet, 1770; lieutenant, 1779; captain, 1780; major, 1783; Lt-Col., 1794); MP for Grimsby, 1774-80; married, 1795 at Gretna Green, Caroline (d. 1823), daughter of Gen. James Johnston but had only one illegitimate son (with Sarah [surname unknown], born 1775); died without legitimate issue, 1821;
(4) Harriott Anderson (1753-1800), born 9 and baptised 21 June 1753; married, 18 July 1774 at St Georges Hanover Square, London, Paul Moss (b. 1752) and had issue three sons and two daughters; buried 7 November 1800.
He inherited the Manby estate from his father in 1747. At his death it passed to his son Charles, who had inherited Brocklesby in 1756, and thereafter descended with that estate.
He died 23 October 1758.

The Anderson family of Lea Hall and Kilnwick Percy, baronets

Anderson, William (b. c.1579; fl. 1623) of Lea Hall. Son of Sir Edmund Anderson (1530-1605), kt. and his wife Magdalen, daughter of Christopher Smith of Annables (Herts). Possibly educated at St John's College, Cambridge (admitted 1598). He married 1st, Joan, daughter of Thomas Essex of Lambourn (Berks) and sister of Sir William Essex, 1st bt., and 2nd, 30 November 1608, Elizabeth (fl. 1638), daughter of Sir Thomas Darnell of Heyling (Lincs) and had issue:
(1.1) Sir Edmund Anderson (1605-61), 1st bt. (q.v.);
(1.2) A daughter (fl. 1617);
(2.1) Alice Anderson; died unmarried and was buried at Eyeworth, 30 April 1635;
(2.2) A daughter; died young.
He was given the manor of Lea Hall at Gainsborough and a lease of an estate at Broughton by his elder brother in 1607.
He died after January 1622/3. His first wife was perhaps buried at Whitechapel, 8 August 1605.

Anderson, Sir Edmund (1605-61), 1st bt. of Lea Hall and Broughton.  Only son of William Anderson (b. c.1579) and his first wife Joan, daughter of Thomas Essex of Lambourn (Berks), baptised 10 August 1605 at Redbourne (Herts). Educated at Grays Inn (admitted 1622/3). He was created 1st baronet of Broughton (Lincs), 11 December 1660. He married 1st, 3 December 1623 at St Margaret, Westminster, Mary (d. 1636/7), daughter of Thomas Wood of Auldfield (Yorks) and heir of Barnard Wood of Kilnwick Percy (Yorks ER) and 2nd, 11 September 1649, Sybilla (b. c.1605), daughter of Sir Rowland Egerton, bt., of Farthinghoe (Northants) and widow of Edward Bellot, and had issue:
(1.1) William Anderson (d. c.1660); reputed to be extravagant; married Elizabeth (who m2., about October 1661, Sir Jonathan Atkyns), daughter of Sir John Baker of Sissinghurst (Kent) but died without issue between September 1660 and January 1660/1;
(1.2) Edmund Anderson; died in infancy;
(1.3) Sir John Anderson (1628-70), 2nd bt. (q.v.);
(1.4) Sir Edmund Anderson (1629-c.1703), 4th bt. (q.v.);
(1.5) Francis Anderson (fl. 1660); married 1st, Helen, daughter of William Anderson and 2nd, 17 December 1662 at Lincoln, Frances Staresmore of Frolesworth (Leics) and had issue;
(1.6) Charles Anderson (fl. 1660); died unmarried;
(1.7) Stephen Anderson (fl. 1660); married Mary, daughter of John Luckyn of Cambridge, but died without issue;
(1.8) Mary Anderson; married Thomas Norton Esq. of Longthorn (Yorks);
(1.9) Susan Anderson; died young;
(1.10) Frances Anderson; died young.
At the time of his marriage he was granted his father's lease of the Broughton estate, and he later inherited the Lea Hall estate from his father and the Kilnwick Percy estate and land at Burnby in right of his first wife. 
He was buried 19 January 1660/1 and his will was proved 12 February 1660/1 (estate valued at about £6,000). His first wife died in childbirth, 30 January 1636/7 and was buried at Malton (Yorks NR). His widow was buried at Broughton, 30 October 1661; her will was proved 23 November 1661.

Anderson, Sir John (1628-70), 2nd bt.  Eldest son of Sir Edmund Anderson (1605-61), 1st bt. and his first wife Mary, daughter of Thomas Wood of Audfield (Yorks), born 23 December 1628 and baptised 6 January 1628/9. He is said to have taken over the management of the Ancholme drainage scheme from Sir John Monson. He succeeded his father as 2nd baronet, January 1660/1. He married, 5 November 1659, Elizabeth (d. 1698), daughter of Hugh Snawsell of Bilton in the city of York and had issue:
(1) Sir Edmund Anderson (c.1661-76), 3rd bt.; succeeded his father as 3rd bt., 18 March 1670, but died unmarried and without issue at Cambridge University, 17 December 1676 and was buried at Broughton; 
(2) Elizabeth Anderson; married [forename unknown] Collins of Westminster;
(3) Frances Anderson; died unmarried before 1703;
(4) Catherine Anderson (1663-1714); baptised at Broughton, 7 December 1663; married 17 November 1694 at St Martin-in-the-Fields, London, John Thompson; buried 5 January 1713/4 in West Cloister of Westminster Abbey;
(5) Mary Anderson (d. 1704); married Robert Vesey; buried at Abingdon (Berks), 3 November 1704.
He inherited the Lea Hall and Kilnwick Percy estates from his father in 1661.  At his death it passed first to his son (d. 1676) and then to his younger brother, Sir Edmund Anderson, 4th bt.
He died 18 March 1670 and was buried at Broughton. His widow was buried at Broughton, 16 July 1698; her will was proved 26 July 1698.

Anderson, Sir Edmund (1630-c.1703), 4th bt.  Second son of Sir Edmund Anderson (1605-61), 1st bt. and his first wife Mary, daughter of Thomas Wood of Auldfield (Yorks), baptised 7 January 1629/30. Educated at Grays Inn (admitted 1646/7). Succeeded his nephew as 4th bt., 17 December 1676. He married 1st, about June 1662, Mary, daughter and co-heir of William Cox of Porters, Shenley (Herts) and 2nd, 26 March 1686 at St Martin Outwich, London, Elizabeth (c.1660-1715), daughter of Sir Anthony Deane, kt., and had issue:
(1.1) William Anderson (c.1663-74); died aged 'not quite 11', 17 March 1673/4 and was buried at Shenley (Herts);
(1.2) Edmund Anderson (c.1663-84); married, 1684, Car[oline?] (fl. 1685), daughter and heiress of John Shaw of Wyberton (Lincs) but died without issue aged 21, 17 September 1684, and was buried at Shenley (Herts);
(1.3) Mary Anderson (1663-64); died in infancy 'aged not quite 1', 23 August 1664 and was buried at Shenley;
(2.1) Sir Edmund Anderson (1687-1765), 5th bt. (q.v.);
(2.2) Elizabeth Anderson (1680-1771), born 21 August 1680; married, 1711 at the Savoy Chapel, London, Stephen Croft (1683-1733) of Stillington (Yorks) and had issue three sons and one daughter; buried 25 October 1771;
(2.3) Susan Anderson (b. 1695), baptised 27 August 1695; died in infancy.
He inherited the Lea Hall and Kilnwick Percy estates from his nephew in 1676 but lived in London and at his wife's estate of Porters. He consolidated the estate by buying land at Lea and Burnby (Yorks ER) in the 1680s.
His will was proved 12 March 1703. His widow died in 1715 and administration of her goods was granted 18 January 1715/6.

Anderson, Sir Edmund (1687-1765), 5th bt., of Kilnwick Percy Hall. Only surviving son of Sir Edmund Anderson (1630-c.1703), 4th bt. and his second wife, Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Anthony Deane, kt., baptised 4 November 1687 at St Giles-in-the-Fields, London. Educated at St Catherine's College, Cambridge (admitted 1705). Succeeded his father as 5th bt. in 1703. An assiduous collector, especially of musical instruments, including a Stradivarius violin.  He married 1st, 1712, Mary (d. 1748), daughter of William Harvey of Rolls Park (Essex), and 2nd, 11 February 1754 at the Savoy Chapel, London, Frances (c.1729-1801), daughter of J. Batty of Tadcaster (Yorks), and had issue:
(1.1) Edmund Anderson (c.1714-47); Captain in the Army; killed in a sword duel at Maastricht, 18-24 September 1747, dying unmarried and without issue;
(1.2) Elizabeth Anderson (1715/6-93); married, 30 June 1735, Henry Brewster Darley (1714-97) of Aldby Park, Buttercrambe (Yorks NR) and had issue four sons and two daughters; buried 18 July 1793;
(1.3) Dorothy Anderson; married, 11 March 1750, William Burton esq. (d. by 1764) of Hotham (Yorks ER);
(1.4) Sir William Anderson (1722-85), 6th bt. (q.v.);
(1.5) Mary Anderson (c.1727-1817); mistress of the wardrobe at Hampton Court Palace; died unmarried, 4 May 1817, aged 90;
(2.1) Elizabeth Dorothy Frances Anderson (c.1756-1802); married Nicholas Smith esq. (c.1752-1819), accountant-general of court of Chancery but had no issue; died 2 June 1802 aged 46.
He inherited the Kilnwick Percy estate from his father in 1703 and completed the partly built Elizabethan house in 1720.
He died 3 May and was buried at Kilnwick Percy, 10 May 1765. His first wife died 16 August and was buried at Kilnwick Percy, 22 August 1748. His widow died 11 September 1801 and was buried at Kilnwick Percy.

Anderson, Rev. Sir William (1722-85), 6th bt., of Kilnwick Percy Hall.  Only surviving son of Sir Edmund Anderson (1687-1765), 5th bt., and his first wife, Mary, daughter of William Harvey of Rolls Park (Essex), baptised 31 March 1722. Educated at Westminster and Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1738; BA 1741; MA 1745). Ordained deacon and priest, 1743; rector of Lea (Lincs), 1743-85 and Epworth (Lincs), 1757-84. Succeeded his father as 6th baronet, 3 May 1765. He married, 7 August 1747 at Little Grimsby (Lincs), Anne (1727-83), daughter of John Maddison of Stainton-le-Vale (Lincs) and had issue:
(1) Anne Anderson (1753-1830), born 28 May 1753; married 1st, 30 August 1771, Samuel Thorold (formerly Canale) (1749-1820) of Harmston Hall (Lincs), by whom she had issue one son and six daughters, and from whom she was separated in 1784, and 2nd, c.1820, Francis Joseph Ros, of Switzerland, from whom she was also separated by 1827; died in Cheltenham, 12 July 1830;
(2) Catherine Maria Anderson (1756-88), born 16 March 1756; married, 31 July 1777, Arthur Lemuel Shuldham esq. of Dunmanway (Cork) and Pallas Green House (Limerick) and had issue three sons and one daughter; buried at Lea (Lincs), November 1788;
(3) Theodosia Dorothy Anderson (1757-1831), born 4 April 1757; married Rev. Richard Vevers (d. 1838), rector of Saxby (Leics), Stoke Albany and Kettering (Northants) and had issue six sons and six daughters; died 3 or 5 May 1831;
(4) Sir Edmund Anderson (1758-99), 7th bt. of Lea Hall, Gainsborough, born 11 September 1758; succeded his father as 7th bt., 9 March 1785; married, 11 September 1784 at Sheriff Hutton (Yorks), Catherine (d. 1798), daughter of Thomas Plumer of Lilling Hall, but died without issue, 30 May 1799 and was buried at Lea, 7 June 1799; his will was proved September 1799;
(5) Rev. George William Anderson (1759-85), born 10 November and baptised 16 December 1759; educated at Hackney and Peterhouse, Cambridge (admitted 1778; BA 1782); ordained 1783; rector of Epworth (Lincs), 1784-85; married, 11 September 1784 at Sheriff Hutton (Yorks), Lucy (b. 1758), daughter of Thomas Plumer of Lilling Hall, but died without issue, 16 April 1785;
(6) Henrietta Jane Anderson (1761-1843), born 20 May 1761; married, 3 December 1783, Rev. Naunton Thomas Orgill Leman of Brampton Hall (Suffolk) and had issue one son and one daughter; died 9 March 1843;
(7) Charlotte Anderson (1763-1822), baptised 29 July 1763; married, 24 January 1788 at Lea, Robert Rede (d. 1822) of Beccles (Suffolk) but died without issue, 9 October 1822;
(8) Rev. Sir Charles John Anderson (1767-1845/6), 8th bt. (q.v.);
(9) Frances Maria Anderson (d. 1846); died unmarried, October 1846.
He inherited the Kilnwick Percy estate from his father in 1765 but sold it in 1784 for £28,000.
He died 9 March 1785 after being seriously injured and crippled by a fall from his horse in 1783, and was buried at Lea (Lincs), 15 March 1785. His wife died 31 August and was buried at Lea, 5 September 1783.

Anderson, Rev. Sir Charles John (1767-1846), 8th bt., of Lea Hall. Youngest son of Sir William Anderson (1722-85), 6th bt., of Kilnwick Percy Hall, and his wife Anne, daughter of John Maddison of Stainton-le-Vale (Lincs), born 5 October 1767. Educated at University College, Oxford (matriculated 1787; BA 1791; MA 1797). Rector of Lea, 1795-1846 and prebendary of Thorngate in Lincoln Cathedral, 1812-46; described as "an amiable sporting parson". Succeeded his brother as 8th bt., 30 May 1799. He married, 13 December 1802, Frances Mary (1775-1836), daughter of Sir John Nelthorpe, 6th bt., of Scawby (Lincs) and had issue:
(1) Sir Charles Henry John Anderson (1804-91), 9th bt. (q.v.);
(2) Fanny Maria Anderson (1809-83), baptised 5 May 1809; married, 24 June 1838, Sir John Nelthorpe (1814-65), 8th bt. of Scawby but had no issue; died 12 November 1883;
(3) William Edmund Anderson (1812-15), baptised 6 April 1812; died young, 31 May 1815;
(4) Emily Margaret Charlotte Anderson (1817-70), baptised 22 August 1817; a nurse in the Crimea with Miss Stanley; died unmarried, 30 August 1870.
He inherited the Lea Hall estate from his elder brother in 1799.
He died 24 March 1846 and was buried at Lea, where he is commemorated by a monument designed by G. Earle jun; his will was proved May 1846.  His wife died at Neuhausen near the Rhine falls in Germany, 18 August and was buried at Lea, 7 September 1836.

Anderson, Sir Charles Henry John (1804-91), 9th bt., of Lea Hall. Elder son of Rev. Sir Charles John Anderson (1767-1846), 8th bt., and his wife Frances Mary, daughter of Sir John Nelthorpe, bt. of Scawby (Lincs), born 24 November 1804.  Educated privately and at Oriel College, Oxford (matriculated 1823; BA 1826; MA 1829). "A lively and active man, interested in church affairs, politics, architecture and sport"; a prolific diarist and local historian; a founder member of the Royal Archaeological Institute and supporter of the Lincoln Diocesan Architectural Society. He had numerous friends who were prominent in the Oxford movement, and became an expert on Gothic architecture; he travelled extensively on the Continent; author of Ancient Models, or hints on Church Building, 1841; A short guide to the county of Lincoln, 1847 and the Pocket Guide to Lincoln, 1874. Succeeded his father as 9th bt., 24 March 1846. JP for Lincolnshire; High Sheriff of Lincolnshire, 1851. In 1883 he held 2,647 acres in the East Riding of Yorkshire, 2,153 acres in Lincolnshire and 293 acres in Nottinghamshire. He married, 11 September 1832, Emma (d. 1870), daughter of John Savile Foljambe of Aldwarke (Yorks), and had issue:
(1) Charlotte Arabella Anderson (1833-1910), born 13 July and baptised 22 September 1833; married, 26 April 1862, Capt. George Phipps Prevost (1830-85), son of Ven. Sir George Prevost, 2nd bt., archdeacon of Gloucester, but had no issue; died 8 October 1910; will proved 21 November 1910 (estate £9,677);
(2) Emma Theodosia Anderson (1835-1912), born 9 September and baptised 11 October 1835; died unmarried, 5 June 1912; will proved 4 November 1912 (estate £14,770);
(3) Edmund Willoughby Anderson (1837-39), born 27 July 1837; died young, 27 August 1839;
(4) Frances Mary Anderson (1840-70), born 10 October 1840; married, 23 June 1863, Rev. Ernest Roland Wilberforce (1840-1907), rector of Middleton Stoney (Oxon) and later Bishop of Chichester, second son of Rt. Rev. Samuel Wilberforce, Bishop of Oxford (who m2., 14 October 1874, Emily Maud, daughter of Very Rev. George Henry Connor), but had no issue; died at San Remo (Italy), 21 October 1870; will proved 8 April 1871 (estate under £6,000);
(5) Francis Foljambe Anderson (1842-81) (q.v.); 
(6) Charles Whichcott Anderson (1845-77), born 10 May and baptised 29 July 1845; died unmarried and without issue, 7 September 1877.
He inherited the Lea Hall estate from his father in 1846, and altered the house in about 1857. At his death the estate passed to his granddaughter.
He died 8 October 1891 when the baronetcy became extinct. His wife died 8 August 1870.

Anderson, Francis Foljambe (1842-81). Second son of Sir Charles Henry John Anderson (1804-91), 9th bt. and his wife Emma, daughter of John Savile Foljambe of Aldwarke (Yorks), born 15 August and baptised 3 October 1842.  He married, 14 July 1874, Anne Louisa Heywood (1853-1924), daughter of Benjamin Heywood Jones, banker, and had issue:
(1) Margaret Louise Anderson (1876-1952) (q.v.);
(2) Katherine Helen Anderson (1877-1925); married, 9 March 1904, Richard Coningsby Sutton (1882-1905), son of Francis Richard Sutton and had issue one son and twin daughters; lived in South Africa after her marriage until her husband died of pneumonia, when she returned to England; died 28 October 1925;
(3) Frances Olive Anderson (1879-1943); died unmarried, 7 October 1943; will proved 28 March 1944 (estate £62,869); the primary school at Lea is named after her.
He died at the Cape of Good Hope, 15 September 1881, in the lifetime of his father.

Anderson, Margaret Louise (1876-1952).  Eldest daughter of Francis Foljambe Anderson (1842-81) and his wife Anna Louisa Heywood, daughter of Benjamin Heywood Jones of London, banker, born 1876.  She married Wilfred Arthur Duncombe* (later Duncombe-Anderson) (1871-1952) and had issue:
(1) Col. Antony John Duncombe Anderson (1907-49) (q.v.); 
(2) Maj. Roland Frederic Duncombe-Anderson (1908-40), born 18 April 1908; served in WW2 as a Major in 1st Bttn, East Surrey Regiment; married 31 August 1935, Elizabeth Frances (fl. 2003) (who m2., 19 June 1952, Brig. Howard Greene), daughter of Algernon Mawson and had issue one son; killed in action in Belgium, May 1940;
(3) Maj. Wilfred George Duncombe-Anderson (1911-82), born 6 February 1911; educated at Sherborne and Worcester College, Oxford; served in WW2 as a Major in Royal Signals (TA); married 1st, 30 April 1942, Valerie, daughter of Capt. S.M. Pemberton of Washington (Sussex), and had issue one son and one daughter; married 2nd, 22 April 1972, Enid Mary Gabrielle (k/a Gay), daughter of Rev. Charles Anthony van Charraute; died in 1982.
She inherited the Lea Hall estate from her grandfather in 1891. Following her marriage the hall was let and after WW1 it was sold to Walter Boynton. The estate was sold to the Montefiore family in the late 1930s.
She died 21 February 1952. Her husband died 13 October 1952.
*The Duncombes will be the subject of a future post.

Duncombe-Anderson, Col. Antony John (1907-49). Eldest son of Wilfrid Arthur Duncombe-Anderson (1871-1952) and his wife Margaret Louise, daughter of Francis Foljambe Anderson of Lea (Lincs), born 4 February 1907.  Educated at Hertford College, Oxford (MA). Col. in West Yorkshire Regiment; senior Control Officer, Control Commission for Germany.  He married, 9 October 1931, Gioranna Georgiana Valerie (d. 1989), daughter of Maj. C.E. Irvine McNalty, and had issue:
(1) Juliet Priscilla Mary Duncombe (b. 1937), born 11 June 1937; married, December 1960, Wilfred Trevor Woodley and had issue a daughter;
(2) (Charles Anthony) Peter Duncombe-Anderson (later Duncombe) (1945-2009), 6th Baron Feversham, of Duncombe Park (Yorks), born 3 January 1945; changed his name to Duncombe by deed poll, 1954; educated at Eton and the Inner Temple; journalist; succeeded his kinsman, the 3rd Earl of Feversham as 6th Baron Feversham, 1963; Governor of Leeds Polytechnic, 1969-76 and Chairman of Yorkshire Sculpture Park; author of A wolf in tooth, 1967 and Great Yachts, 1970; restored Duncombe Park after years as a girls' school from 1985; married 1st, 12 September 1966, Shannon (d. 1976), daughter of Sir Thomas Arthur Wyness Foy and had issue two sons and one daughter; married 2nd, 6 October 1979, Pauline (k/a Polly), daughter of John Aldridge and had issue a further son; died 29 March 2009.
He died 20 November 1949.


Burke's Peerage & Baronetage, 1891; A.R. Maddison, Lincolnshire pedigrees, vol. 1, 1902, pp. 19-25; T.R. Leach & R. Pacey, Lost Lincolnshire country houses, vol. 2, 1992, pp. 35-53; Sir N. Pevsner, J. Harris & N. Antram, The buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 2nd edn., 1989, pp. 194, 429; Sir N. Pevsner & D. Neave, The buildings of England: York and the East Riding, 2nd edn., 1995, pp. 579-80. 

Location of archives

Anderson of Broughton, baronets: deeds, estate and family papers, 1163-1891 [Lincolnshire Archives, AND, 2-7 AND]; deeds, estate and family papers relating to Kilnwick Percy estate, 1554-1893 [East Riding of Yorkshire Archives, DDAN]
Anderson, Sir Edmund (1530-1605): correspondence and papers, 16th-17th cents. [Inner Temple Library]
Anderson, Sir Charles Henry John (1804-91), 9th bt.: correspondence, notebooks, diaries and papers, including antiquarian papers, c.1821-88 [Private collection; enquiries to Lincolnshire Archives]

Coat of arms

Anderson of Eyeworth: Argent a chevron between three crosses bottonée sable.
Anderson of Broughton: Argent a chevron between three crosses fleury sable OR Argent a chevron between three cross crosslets sable.

Revision & Acknowledgements

This post was first published on 29 June 2014 and revised 8 November 2014, 30 September 2016, 20 February, 29 July and 26 December 2023. I am most grateful to Martin Deacon, Stephen Hill and Rob Wheeler for help with this entry.

Sunday 15 June 2014

(126) Anderdon of Henlade House

Anderdon of Henlade House
The Anderdons are one of the rare gentry families who despite holding a country house throughout the 19th and most of the 20th centuries, largely escaped the attention of successive compilers of Burke's Landed Gentry, perhaps because the estate moved between different branches of the family with almost every generation. The slightly unusual name is occasionally spelled Anderton, and is often mistranscribed as Anderson, but 'Anderdon' seems to be the spelling consistently used by the family themselves.

The Anderdons were settled in Bridgwater and its vicinity in the 17th century, when one John Anderdon was a leading nonconformist. Another John Anderton (1695-1744) took a medical degree at Oxford and became a surgeon in the town from the 1720s onwards. In 1738 he bought the site of Bridgwater Castle from the Duke of Chandos, and it seems likely that one of the houses with large gardens occupying the former castle bailey became his home and the base for his practice.  He probably also acquired land at Ruishton (Somerset), later the Henlade House estate, from his wife's family, as the Proctors had been settled there for many generations.  A house existed at Henlade by 1791, when John's eldest son, Robert Proctor Anderdon (1723-1809) was living there, but the present building was constructed for Charles Proctor Anderdon (d. 1824) after he inherited the estate from his uncle in 1809, and after a three-year tenancy expired in 1812.  

When Charles died without issue, he left all his property to his widow, Sarah Panton Anderdon, who died in 1867 at the great age of 92. Her heir was a distant kinsman of her husband, John Edmund Anderdon (1829-72), who came from a branch of the family which had long had mercantile and artistic interests in London and Bristol. The family firm of Manning & Anderdon were involved in the West Indies trade, and several members of the family had estates in Antigua and elsewhere on which slaves were kept until abolition.  John Proctor Anderdon (1760-1846) was one of those compensated at the time of abolition, and with a rather grim irony he chose shackle bolts as the heraldic device for his coat of arms. Manning & Anderdon became bankrupt in 1831 but John had then long since ceased to be a partner and it is not clear to what extent his fortune was affected.  
Beech House, Bransgore, shortly
before demolition in the 1960s
Having remodelled Beech House at Bransgore (Hants) in about 1816 he sold it about this time, which may suggest a call on his capital, but by the mid 1830s he was leasing Farley Hall in Berkshire.  Neither of these houses was with the family for very long.

Both John Edmund Anderdon (1829-72) and his father, John Lavicount Anderdon (1792-1874) were living at Henlade at the time of the 1871 census, but when John Edmund died without issue the following year the estate passed to his uncle, Capt. Hobart Grant Anderdon (1815-88) and was let. Hobart's heir was his great-nephew, Henry Edward Murray (1849-1922), who took the additional name of Anderdon and became the Secretary of Somerset County Cricket Club, in which capacity he was responsible for acquiring the County Ground and establishing the club amongst the first class counties. He re-established the family at Henlade and bequeathed it to his cousin, Herbert Edward Salt (1870-1938), who again took the name of Anderdon.  He had been a fruit farmer in California since the 1890s but came back to England to take up his inheritance, and lived at Henlade in the 1930s.  His son, Henry Manisty Anderdon (1900-85) let the house in the 1940s and 1950s but later occupied it himself, and it was only after he and his wife died within a few months of one another in 1985 that Henlade was finally sold out of the family and became an hotel.

Henlade House, Ruishton, Somerset

A house existed at Henlade by 1791 which was described in 1809 by Fanny Chapman as "a wretched place, so extremely old and out of repair, all but the sitting rooms, which are excellent and the grounds as beautiful as the house is ugly, with an excellent garden."

Henlade House: entrance front, 2014. Image: Nicholas Kingsley. Licenced under this Creative Commons licence

Henlade House

The present north-facing, five bay, two-storey house of stuccoed red brick was built between 1812 and 1815, reputedly to the designs of an Italian architect, although nothing about the building now suggests this. The entrance front has an apparently contemporary Ionic porch with fluted columns. Inside the house has an octagonal entrance hall leading through to a staircase hall with a cantilevered stone staircase with iron balustrade and mahogany handrails.  These two rooms were both redecorated in the Aesthetic movement style in about 1870-72, and elements of this decoration survive in the entrance hall.  At the same time the stables and red brick gate lodges were built. In the 1890s a billiard room was added to the south-west corner of the house and the west front was given its present symmetrical appearance with shallow full-height bays at either end. The house was converted as a hotel in the mid 1980s and was operated as the Mount Somerset Hotel until it closed during the COVID Pandemic in 2020.

Descent: Robert Proctor Anderdon (d. 1809); to nephew, Charles Anderdon (d. 1824); to widow, Sarah Panton Anderdon (d. 1867); to first cousin twice removed, John Edmund Anderdon (1829-72); to uncle, Capt. Hobart Grant Anderdon (1815-88); to nephew, Henry Edward Murray (later Murray-Anderdon) (1848-1922); to cousin, Herbert Edward Salt (later Anderdon) (1870-1938); to son, Henry Manisty Anderdon (d. 1985), who leased it to Sir William Stampe (d. 1951); sold c.1986 to Robert Leslie James Green (b. 1934); sold later for conversion as an hotel.

Anderdon family of Henlade House

Anderdon, Dr. John (1695-1744).  Son of Ferdinando Anderdon of Bridgwater (Somerset) and his wife Mary [maiden surname unknown], born 1695. Educated at University College, Oxford (matriculated 1712/13; BA 1716; MA 1719; B.Med 1722). Practised as a surgeon at Bridgwater. He married Mary Proctor (1696-1780) and had issue:
(1) Robert Proctor Anderdon (1723-1809) (q.v.);
(2) John Anderdon (1727-63); buried at Bridgwater, 6 May 1763;
(3) Ferdinando Anderdon (1730-1807) (q.v.);
(4) William Anderdon (c.1732-1815), of Bath, baptised 17 January 1732; apothecary at Bath;
(5) Charles Anderdon (1734-1811) (q.v.);
(6) Mary Anderdon (1736-1823), baptised 4 May 1736; died unmarried; will proved 13 February 1824;
(7) Susanna Anderdon (b. 1741), baptised 27 May 1741;
(8) Edmund Anderdon (b. 1743; fl. 1819), baptised 24 January 1743.
He bought the site of The Castle, Bridgwater (Somerset) in 1738; this included the remains of a substantial 17th century mansion and two newer houses with large gardens. 
He died in 1744. His widow died in January 1780 and was buried at Bridgwater, 2 February 1780.

Anderdon, Robert Proctor (1723-1809). Eldest son of Dr. John Anderdon (1695-1744) and his wife Mary Proctor, born 1723.  Member of the Board of Agriculture. He married, 1774, Elizabeth Callard (fl. 1809) of Ford, Stockland (Dorset) but had no issue.
He was described as 'of Ruishton' in 1779 but lived at Henlade House by 1791. At his death the property passed to his nephew, Charles Proctor Anderdon.
He was buried 4 October 1809. His widow was living in November 1809.

Anderdon, Charles (1734-1811). Fifth son of Dr. John Anderdon (1695-1744) and his wife Mary Proctor, baptised 16 August 1734. Mayor of Bridgwater, 1773. He married, 1773, Miss Gardiner of Bridgwater, and had issue:
(1) Charles Proctor Anderdon (d. 1824) (q.v.).
He died at Bridgwater, 14 December 1811.

Anderdon, Charles Proctor (d. 1824).  Only son of Charles Anderdon (1734-1811) and his wife. JP for Somerset. He married, 25 October 1803, Sarah Panton Perry (c.1774-1867) but had no issue.
He inherited the Henlade House estate from his uncle in 1809, and built the present house between 1812 and 1815. At his death he bequeathed it to his widow for life.
He died in 1824 and was buried at Ruishton, where he is commemorated by a monument designed by T. King of Bath. His widow died 11 February 1867, aged 92; her will was proved 19 March 1867 (estate under £10,000).

Anderdon, Ferdinando (1730-1807). Third son of Dr. John Anderdon (1695-1744) and his wife Mary Proctor, baptised 17 February 1730. Surgeon in Taunton and later at Bath.  He married, 25 September 1759, Mary Hobart (1738-1823) and had issue:
(1) John Proctor Anderdon (1760-1846) (q.v.);
(2) Ferdinando Anderdon (1763-1834) of Upper Mall, Hammersmith, baptised 8 February 1763; married Rachel (d. 1832), daughter of Richard Alexander of Hammersmith and had issue of which he was survived by one son and two daughters; died 24 September 1834; will proved 27 October 1834
(3) Capt. William Proctor Anderdon (c.1779-1859); served in Bengal Army, 1796-1812 but retired to Bath and was generous to charitable causes; married, 18 January 1817, Frances (d. 1859), daughter of J. Livesey of Bath but had no issue; died 16 April 1859; will proved 21 May 1859 (estate under £30,000).
He died in 1807; his will was proved 27 July 1807. His widow died in May 1823.

Anderdon, John Proctor (1760-1846).  Elder son of Ferdinando Anderdon of Taunton, surgeon, and his wife Mary Hobart, baptised 15 October 1760. Attorney-at-law; partner in Manning & Anderdon, merchants, 1794-1816; received compensation for the abolition of slavery in respect of estates in Antigua; connoisseur and collector of pictures, his collection being sold at Christies in 1847 and 1851; Fellow of the Royal Society, 1811; DL for Hampshire, 1820. He married 1st, 19 April 1785, Anne Oliver, and 2nd, 9 March 1812, Mary Hannah Casamajor, and had issue:
(1.1) Thomas Oliver Anderdon (1786-1856); he served in the army, 1804-11 (Lieutenant, 1804; Captain, 1806) and was present at the battles of Talaver, 1810 and Busaco, 1811 in the Peninsula campaign; educated at Lincolns Inn (barrister-at-law; QC; bencher); married, 6 January 1814, Maria, daughter of Rev. John Nichol of Warenford (Northbld) and had issue; died 31 July 1856; will proved in PCC, 1 December 1856;
(1.2) James Hughes Anderdon (1790-1879); partner in Bosanquet Anderdon & Co., bankers (retired 1843); collector of pictures, including Constable's Malvern Hall (Warwickshire), now in the Tate, engravings and autograph letters; gave works including annotated catalogues to the Royal Academy and British Museum in 1875; died 24 January 1879; will proved 16 April 1879 (estate under £100,000);
(1.3) Lucy Shuckburgh Anderdon (c.1791-1851); married 30 January 1809 Butler Thompson Claxton of Bristol; died 1 May and was buried at West Pennard (Somerset), 8 May 1851; will proved 26 August 1851;
(1.4) John Lavicount Anderdon (1792-1874) (q.v.);
(1.5) Freeman Anderdon (1794-1873), underwriter; became an eccentric recluse and lived in humble circumstances at Lambeth, devoting himself to gardening, collecting pictures, and messing about on the River Thames; an attempt by his two eldest brothers to have him confined as a lunatic in 1829 was unsuccessful and led to a series of trials; died about January 1873;
(2.1) Emma Mary Anderdon (1813-81), baptised 7 September 1813; married, 20 December 1851, Thomas Campbell Robertson (1789-1863), Indian civil servant; died 13 May 1881; will proved 31 May 1881 (estate under £35,000);
(2.2) Hobart Grant Anderdon (1814/5-88), born 18 September and baptised 4 November 1814/5; served in Royal Welsh Fusiliers (2nd Lieutenant, 1833; Lieutenant, 1837; Captain, 1843); married 1st, 25 June 1844 at St. Pancras (London), Eliza, daughter of David Roose; and 2nd, 1857, Mary Ann Parry (1823-85); lived at 17 Gay Street, Bath; inherited Henlade House from his nephew, 1872 but apparently never lived there; died 14 June 1888 and was buried at Ryde New Cemetery, Isle of Wight; will proved 6 August 1888 (estate £22,623);
(2.3) William Manning Anderdon (1816-98), born 10 July and baptised 13 December 1816; partner in Lawson & Anderdon, merchants (dissolved 1849); died 10 September 1898; will proved 6 December 1898 (estate £5,001).
He built Beech House, Bransgore (Hants), reputedly to the designs of Thomas Stedman Whitwell, about 1816, but at the time of his death he was renting Farley Hall (Berks).
He was buried at St Lawrence, Ramsgate (Kent), 7 December 1846 and his will was proved 3 February 1847. His widow was buried at St Lawrence Ramsgate, 14 March 1851; her will was proved 5 April 1851.

Anderdon, John Lavicount (1792-1874). Second son of John Proctor Anderdon (1760-1846) and his first wife, Anne Oliver, born in Bristol, 5 April 1792. Educated under Dr. Nicholas at Ealing and later at Harrow, but was removed from school and entered the family firm of Manning & Anderdon, West Indies merchants (partner c.1816-31), who became bankrupt in 1831 with debts of some £374,000; stood for Parliament in the Penrhyn constituency, 1818, but was defeated in the poll; an enthusiastic angler; author of The River Dove: with some quiet Thoughts on the happy Practice of Angling, 1845, and lives of Bishop Ken of Bath & Wells, 1851 and Jesus Christ, 1861. He married, 4 March 1816, Anna Maria (c.1796-1880), daughter of William Manning MP and sister of Cardinal Manning, and had issue:
(1) Rev. Dr. William Henry Anderdon OSJ (1816-90), born 26 December 1816 and was baptised 8 January 1817 at Sundridge (Kent) and again, 31 May 1817 at St Martin-in-the-Fields, London; educated at Balliol & University Colleges, Oxford (matriculated 1835; BA 1839; MA 1842); entered the Roman Catholic church, 1850; ordained priest at Oscott, 1853; secretary to Cardinal Manning, 1863-68; missionary in America, 1868-70; DD (Rome), 1869; joined the Society of Jesus, 1872 and engaged in missionary work in England; published religious and other works;
(2) Anne Anderdon (1818-92), born 24 January and baptised 7 March 1818; died unmarried at Mentone (France), 10 February 1892; will proved 10 May 1892 (estate £40,235);
(3) Maria Eleanor Anderdon (1819-1904), baptised 7 August 1819; died unmarried, 28 August 1904; will proved 17 September 1904 (estate £34,316);
(4) Fanny Catherine Anderdon (1821-50), born 26 March and baptised 11 October 1821; married, 29 October 1846, Rev. Francis Henry Murray (1820-1902), rector of Chislehurst (Kent) (who m.2, 5 September 1854, Mary Prescott Paterson) and had issue two sons and one daughter (including Henry Edward Murray-Anderdon (q.v.)); died 4 March 1850;
(5) John Edmund Anderdon (1829-72) (q.v.);
(6) Emma Helen Mary Anderdon (1839-1925) (q.v.).
He lived in Bristol and later at Chislehurst (Kent). After his younger son inherited Henlade House in 1867 he and his wife lived there.
He died 8 March 1874 and was buried at Chislehurst (Kent); his will was proved 23 May 1874 (estate under £800). His widow died 1 May 1880 and was also buried at Chislehurst.

Anderdon, John Edmund (1829-72). Younger son of John Lavicount Anderdon (1792-1874) and his wife Anna Maria Manning, born 6 August and baptised 19 September 1829. Educated at Eton and Balliol College, Oxford (matriculated 1847; BA 1850). A director of the Bank of London. He married, 11 May 1859 at Christ Church, St Marylebone (London), Jane (d. 1878), daughter of Daniel Henderson, gent. but had no issue.
He inherited Henlade House from the widow of his grandfather's first cousin in 1867. At his death he left it to his uncle, Hobart Grant Anderdon.
He died at a hotel in London, 18 October 1872 and was buried at Chislehurst (Kent); his will was proved 2 December 1872 (estate under £80,000). His widow died 4 February 1878.

Murray (later Murray-Anderdon), Henry Edward (1848-1922). Only son of Francis Henry Murray and his wife, Fanny Catherine, daughter of John Lavicount Anderdon, born 8 December 1848. Educated at Marlborough. A keen sportsman, passionate about fishing and cricket, he became an administrator with Somerset County Cricket Club (Secretary 1885-1910; President, 1915-22) and was responsible for securing the Club the County Ground in Taunton and establishing it among the first class counties; described as having "a commanding, aristocratic manner"; also President of the Somerset Football Association.  He married, 4 October 1877, Eliza Isabella Wellwood (d. 1949), daughter of Rev. William Colin Clarke Preston but had no issue.
He inherited Henlade House from his uncle, Hobart Grant Anderdon, in 1888.
He died 9 December 1922; his will was proved 13 February 1923 (estate £22,666). His widow died 3 July 1949; her will was proved 2 November 1949 (estate £66,891).

Anderdon (later Salt), Emma Helen Mary (1839-1925). Youngest child of John Lavicount Anderdon (1792-1874) and his wife Anna Maria Manning, born 13 December 1839 and baptised 16 February 1840. She married, 24 July 1861, Sir Thomas Salt (1830-1904), 1st bt., MP for Stafford, and had issue:
(1) Lt-Col. Sir Thomas Anderdon Salt (1863-1940), 2nd bt. of Hooke Court, Beaminster (Dorset); served in the army (Major, 11th Hussars and as Lt-Col. commanding territorial units during WW1); JP and DL for Staffordshire; High Sheriff of Staffordshire, 1909; JP for Dorset; married 1905 Eleanor Mary Wiggin and had issue two sons and one daughter; died 22 June 1940; will proved 2 November 1940 (estate £60,163);
(2) Laura Helen Salt (1865-1954); married, 12 April 1887, Rt. Hon. Sir Ernest Murray Pollock (1861-1936), 1st Viscount Hanworth, Master of the Rolls, 1923-35 and had issue; died 16 February 1954; will proved 4 June 1954 (estate £6,330);
(3) Mary Louisa Salt (1866-1901), married, 2 January 1889, Joseph William Young Howison Davies (d. 1900); died without issue, 21 May 1901;
(4) Violet Blanche Salt (b. & d. 1868);
(5) Helen Frances Salt (1869-1950), born 10 December 1869; married, 30 September 1896, Maj. John Cecil Grant McFerran of Rickerscote (Staffs); died 7 August 1950; will proved 7 November 1950 (estate £8,895);
(6) Herbert Edward Salt (later Anderdon) (1870-1938) (q.v.);
(7) George Edmund Stephenson Salt (1873-1900), born 19 February 1873; Lieutenant in 1st battn of Royal Welsh Fusiliers during South African Campaign; mentioned in despatches for conspicuous gallantry at Ladysmith; died unmarried at Modderspruit (South Africa), 3 April 1900; administration of goods granted 16 June 1900 (estate £998);
(8) Reginald John Salt (1874-1963), born 2/3 March 1874; educated at Charterhouse and New College, Oxford; bank manager in Leamington (Warks) and later fruit farmer in USA; married 1st, 19 June 1901, Maude Fanny (d. 1962), daughter of Robert Wigram of Broomfield, Weybridge (Surrey) and had issue three daughters; died 19 October 1963; will proved 15 January 1964 (estate £57,661);
(9) Rev. William Manning Salt (1876-1947), born 22 April 1876; educated at Pembroke College, Cambridge (BA 1906; MA 1910); vicar of St Giles, Shrewsbury; prebendary of Lichfield Cathedral; married, 2 January 1907, Mildred Nairne, daughter of Lt-Col. Charles Henry Edward Graeme and had issue three daughters; died 12 November 1947;
(10) Walter Petit Salt (1878-1916), born 6 October 1878; served in WW1 as Captain in 1st battn, Lancashire Regiment; killed in action near Lesbeoufs (France), 27 October 1916;
(11) Maj-Gen. Harold Francis Salt CB DSO CMG (1879-1971), born 30 November 1879; educated at Cooper's Hill; career soldier; served with Royal Artillery in WW1 in Gallipoli, the Balkans, Palestine and Syria; attached to Air Ministry, 1930; Divisional Commander with Territorial Army, 1931-35; Deputy Adjutant General, India, 1935-36; Deputy Quartermaster General, 1936-39; retired 1939; married, 3 August 1914, Phyllis Dulcie (d. 1965), daughter of Maj. Ewan Duncan Cameron and had issue five daughters; died 10 August 1971, aged 91.
She and her husband lived at Weeping Cross (Staffs); after his death she lived in London.
She died 23 March 1925; her will was proved 8 May 1925 (estate £28,548). Her husband died 8 April 1904; his will was proved 12 May 1904 (estate £177,897).

Salt (later Anderdon), Herbert Edward (1870-1938).  Second son of Sir Thomas Salt (1830-1904), 1st bt. and his wife Emma Helen Mary (1840-1923), daughter of John Lavicount Anderdon, born 20 December 1870. Educated at Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge (admitted 1889). Fruit farmer in California. He changed his surname to Anderdon and returned to England on inhering the Henlade House estate from his cousin in 1922. He married, 25 July 1899, Ethel Menie Manisty (d. 1966) and had issue:
(1) Henry Manisty Anderdon (1900-85) (q.v.);
(2) twin, Dorothy Mary Anderdon (1902-37), born 4 April 1902; died unmarried, 17 March 1937;
(3) twin, Helen Katharine Anderdon (1902-69), born 4 April 1902; died unmarried, 8 April 1969;
(4) Rachel Elinor Anderdon MBE (b. 1909; fl. 1966), born 17 April 1909; awarded MBE 1965;
He inherited the Henlade House estate from his cousin in 1922.
He died10 November 1938; his will was proved 6 February 1939 (estate £40,041). His widow died 12 May 1966; her will was proved 22 August 1966 (estate £15,855).

Anderdon, Henry Manisty (1900-85).  Only son of Herbert Edward Salt (later Anderdon) (1870-1938) and his wife Ethel Menie Manisty (d. 1966), born in America, 10 November 1900.  Educated at Haileybury; working as a bank cashier in 1938; served in WW2 as a Captain in Wiltshire Regiment. He married, 30 November 1929, Sybilla Marjorie (d. 1985), daughter of Col. R.H. Steward of Rockley House (Wilts) and had issue:
(1) John Anderdon (b. 1931);
(2) Ian Anderdon (b. 1936).
He inherited the Henlade House estate from his father in 1938 and it was leased in the 1940s and 1950s. Following his death it was sold for conversion as an hotel.
He and his wife both died in 1985. 


Burke's Landed Gentry, 1937; Burke's Peerage & Baronetage, 1924; (which contains some errors); diary of Fanny Chapman, 1809.

Location of archives

No significant archive is known to survive.

Coat of arms

Sable, two single shacklebolts in chief, and a double one in base, argent.

Revision and acknowledgements

This post was first published 15 June 2014, and was revised 16 June 2014, 12 July 2015, 9 June 2022 and 23 June 2023. I am grateful to Sarah Murden for drawing my attention to the diary of Fanny Chapman.