|Bateman, Viscounts Bateman|
|Monmouth House, Soho Square, London, |
as altered for Sir James Bateman, probably to the designs of Thomas Archer,
in 1718-19. It was pulled down in 1770.
the Shobdon estate in Herefordshire, which he purchased in 1705 from his friend, Sir Robert Chaplin; urban property in London, some of which he had inherited from his father; the Holywell estate at Shoreditch (Middx); Harolds Park at Waltham (Essex); and the manor of Tooting (Surrey), which he bought in 1714, although he had a house there by 1699. At the end of his life he acquired the palatial Monmouth House in Soho Square, built in the 1680s for the unfortunate Duke of Monmouth, which he began remodelling, almost certainly to the designs of Thomas Archer, as his town house. He died, rather unexpectedly, before the works at Monmouth House had been completed, and the majority of his property was divided between his three sons. The eldest son, William Bateman (1696-1744), inherited Shobdon Court and Monmouth House; the second son, James Bateman (1697-1758), inherited the City of London real estate and the manor of Tooting Graveney (which he sold in 1725, having bought the Well Vale estate in Lincolnshire); while the third son, Richard Bateman (1705-73) - usually known as Dickie - inherited the Shoreditch and Waltham properties. The income from these properties and from Sir James' extensive holdings in the public funds ensured that none of his sons would need to earn a living.
|Totteridge Park: the Palladian house built for the 1st Viscount, probably in the late 1720s.|
|40 Park Lane (later Somerset House): the house built for the 2nd Viscount|
by John Phillips in 1769-70. It was pulled down in 1913.
Shobdon Court, Herefordshire
|Shobdon Court: plan of principal floor from Vitruvius Britannicus (1717)|
As shown, the plan is correctly oriented, with north at the top.
|Shobdon church: interior looking east. Image: Nicholas Kingsley. Some rights reserved.|
|Shobdon Court: the Arches in 1959, before extensive woodland planting.|
Image: Miss Wight/Historic England AA65/689.
|Shobdon Court: the north and east fronts as remodelled in 1856-58 for 2nd Lord Bateman. Image: Maj. D. Hill-Wood/Historic England BB87/10421|
"The building, which dates from the closing period of the 17th century, was of red brick of the plainest description, and consisted of a block about 110 ft. square, connected by an underground passage, with the offices in a second similar block, 70ft. by 50ft. This general arrangement... has not been disturbed, but extensive additions have been made to the offices... With regard to the house itself, the process of renovation, either within or without, could hardly have been more complete. The old chimney shafts have been replaced by new brick with stone caps and bases ; a cornice, open parapets, pedestals, and finials have been added both to the main building and to the offices; the windows have new stone dressings, and the whole of the brickwork, old and new, has been coloured down, and pointed with black mortar. The old window frames and sashes of the house with their heavy sash bars and small panes, have given place to new ones of wainscot oak, each sash holding a single sheet of plate glass. The slates and timber of the roofs have been taken off, and the floor boards and timbers pulled out and replaced with new".
|Shobdon Court: the saloon formed in 1856-58 out of the Georgian entrance hall. Image: Batsford & Co.|
|Shobdon Court: the drawing room created in 1856-58. Image: Maj. D. Hill-Wood/Historic England BB87/10390.|
"This has afforded the opportunity to increase by 2ft. 6in. the height of the rooms on the principal floor. The whole of the plaster work throughout the house is fresh, the new ceilings and cornices in some of the rooms being of elegant and costly design. The greater portion of the doors, shutters, architrave mouldings, skirtings, etc., will be new; in the chief rooms will be used carved or papier maché mouldings, while the floors are to be of polished oak with parquet borders.
Great changes have been made in the principal rooms of the house, dependant in some measure upon the removal of the chief entrance from the west to the north front. The principal staircase has been removed thither from the east front where it originally stood. A new dining room has been formed out of the old staircase and billiard room; the drawing room has been converted into a billiard room, and the old dining and serving rooms have become a drawing room and a boudoir. No less considerable have been the alterations on the basement chamber and attic floors. The chamber floor consists at present of nine large and lofty bed-rooms, with a dressing room to each. Of the old entrance hall, etc., has been formed a saloon 37 ft. in height, measuring 50 ft. 30ft., in the ceiling of which is fixed a very handsome skylight... of eliptical form, with scroll work attached to the bars, it is glazed with bent ground glass, in sheets each 12 ft. long. With a view to regulate the temperature of the room an outer skylight has been fixed over this, not visible however from the exterior of the house. Between these, in order to light the apartment by night, numerous gas [lights] will be fixed".
Shobdon Court: plan after the 1856-58 remodelling.
|Shobdon Court: the south and west fronts as remodelled in 1856-58. Image: Maj. D. Hill-Wood/Historic England BB87/10444.|
"We have reserved to the last to mention improvements which will first attract the eye of a stranger, and which give an altogether new character and an appropriate finish to the whole edifice. At the new carriage entrance on the north front has been erected a stone porch, having an arcade on either side, consisting of four arches, with cornice and open parapet. There has also been made a covered area, intended to keep dry the offices in the basement. On the south front, the ground lying very low, a terrace has been built 20 ft. wide and 200 feet long. The floor of the terrace is of syssel asphalte, and it is supported by wrought iron girders. The front is formed of a number of stone arches, with cornice and open balustrades, and flower vases on the pedestals. A flight of seven steps leads down from the sash door of the library to the centre of the terrace, at either end of which is a flight of 20 very wide and handsome steps, conducting to the flower garden. On the two sides of the house four areas have been made, each 10 ft. wide, where formerly the earth lay to the height of 9 ft. against the walls of the basement offices. These areas are furnished with an open balustrade, pedestals and vases on the same level with the terrace, and made in every respect to correspond. They have also two flights of stone steps, each 35 ft. long, to the landings at the east and west doors. The general effect of these alterations is very striking. The entire cost of the works will be about £20,000... The whole of the works, building and engineering, have been carried out from the plans and specifications, and under the superintendence of the architect, Mr. Alexander Milne, of Northampton".
|Shobdon Court: the remodelled service wing from the south-east in 1950, also showing the retained Victorian terrace.|
|Shobdon Court: the present house, remodelled out of the 18th century service block after 1933. Image: Philip Pankhurst. Some rights reserved.|
Totteridge Park, MiddlesexAn account of this house has been given previously in an earlier post.
The Priory (formerly Grove House), Old Windsor, Berkshire
|Grove House/The Priory, Old Windsor: the 'China House' in the grounds, decorated by Dickie Bateman before 1735 in a mixed style.|
|Grove House/The Priory, Old Windsor: watercolour by Paul Sandby dated 1750 showing, on the left, the old gazebo 'improved' by Dickie Bateman |
and on the right the Chinese bridge. The house in the background must be Manor Cottage, although its later appearance was very different.
Image: Royal Collection Trust 914615.
|Grove House/The Priory, Old Windsor: detail of the watercolour above showing the Chinese bridge. Image: Royal Collection Trust 914615.|
|Grove House/The Priory, Old Windsor: view from the east-south-east (across the River Thames) by Thomas Robins, probably dating from the 1750s. The Priory is on the left, the old gazebo visible in Sandby's view is just right of centre, and the Hermitage is on the right.|
|Grove House/The Priory, Old Windsor: view from the west-north-west by Thomas Robins, probably dating from the 1750s. The China House is on the left, with the church behind it; the vicarage is just left of centre, the old gazebo on the skyline, and Priory House right of centre.|
|Grove House/The Priory, Old Windsor: detail of the house from the east |
from the Thomas Robins painting above.
|Grove House/The Priory, Old Windsor: detail of the house from the west |
from the Thomas Robins painting above.
|Grove House/The Priory, Old Windsor: design by J.H. Muntz for the octagonal dining room, 1761. |
Image: Lewis Walpole Library, Farmington, Connecticut.
|Grove House/The Priory, Old Windsor: the octagonal dining room today.|
|Grove House/The Priory, Old Windsor: the house from the south today|
|Grove House/The Priory, Old Windsor: the house from the south-west today.|
Bateman family of Shobdon Court
|Joas Bateman (c.1620-1704)|
|Sir James Bateman (1660-1718), kt.|
|William Bateman, 1st Viscount Bateman|
|Silhouette of John Bateman, |
2nd Viscount Bateman
|Richard Bateman (1705-73)|
Location of archives
Coat of arms
Can you help?
- Can anyone provide further information about the 20th-21st century ownership of The Priory, Old Windsor?
- I should be most grateful if anyone can provide photographs or portraits of people whose names appear in bold above, and who are not already illustrated.
- Any additions or corrections to the text above will be gratefully received and incorporated.