|Aldworth of Stanlake Park|
Richard Aldworth became a prosperous London grocer, and in addition to houses in London and Reading, in 1610 he bought an extensive estate centred on Stanlake Park in Berkshire, which extended into half a dozen different parishes. Either he or his son, Richard Aldworth (1589-1639) then built the present house at Stanlake, which was evidently complete by 1626. The younger Richard is probably not the London alderman of this name who was Master of the Skinners Company in London in 1630, for he is said to have died in 1643, and it is not known whether this Richard continued his father's business an overseas merchant or not. He died fairly young in 1639, and was succeeded by his eldest son and heir, Richard Aldworth (1615-80), who may have been brought up in the household of Archbishop Laud (a distant kinsman) and who was at the Middle Temple at the time of his father's death. As the association with Laud implies, he was a Royalist during the Civil War, and acted as auditor of the Royalist army c.1643-46. He also raised troops and took an active part in the fighting at Newbury, Bristol and elsewhere. At the end of the Second Civil War he fled to Holland, and on his return in 1650 he was fined by Parliament, but his fine, at £200, seems modest by comparison with others. At the Restoration he became Secretary to successive Archbishops of Canterbury, and was rewarded for his loyalty to the Crown with a number of well-paid auditing posts in Government and the royal household, some of which he managed to hand on to his two eldest sons, Richard Aldworth (1646-1706) and William Aldworth (1647-1700). His success in securing auditing posts was doubtless due to the influence of his father-in-law, William Gwynne (d. 1667), who was an auditor in the Exchequer. In 1664 Gwynne assigned him the lease of a Crown estate property at Windsor, which became the site of Frogmore House.
In 1679 Richard Aldworth renewed the lease of his Frogmore property in favour of his own son-in-law, Thomas May (c.1645-1718), whose uncle Hugh May (d. 1684) was the King's architect at Windsor Castle. Thomas was then already at work building a new house at Frogmore, almost certainly to his uncle's design. However, when Hugh May died, he left Thomas his property in Sussex, and Thomas and his wife moved away. The lease of Frogmore was taken on by William Aldworth (1647-1700), who held a number of auditing posts in the royal household and no doubt found a home at Windsor very convenient. He had already bought the lease of an adjoining house (later Little Frogmore) and further extended his property by buying a 99-year lease of the manor of Shaw. His close association with James II must have put his loyalty under suspicion after the accession of William III, but he seems to have retained his official posts. Despite the income which they gave him, he was plunged into a personal financial crisis in the mid-1690s, when he claimed he had been defrauded by his solicitor, Sir James Tillie of Pentillie Castle (Cornwall), who was even more colourful in death than in life. As a result, when William died in 1700, his children found that his debts exceeded the value of his personal effects, and they were obliged to sell the lease of Frogmore House and move to the adjacent but much smaller Little Frogmore to pay off the debts. Charles Aldworth, the son and heir, was an enthusiastic Jacobite, and was killed in a duel in 1714, after which Little Frogmore passed to his unmarried sisters, Susanna and Elizabeth, and on Elizabeth's death in 1745 reverted to the branch of the family settled at Stanlake Park.
Richard Aldworth (1646-1706), who had inherited Stanlake in 1680, was trained as a lawyer in the Middle Temple, and became secretary to the Earl of Essex as Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, 1672-77. On this foundation, Richard built himself a career in the public adminstration of Ireland, at the centre of which was his role as Chief Remembrancer of the Irish Exchequer. In the 1690s, he was also Chief Secretary for Ireland and an MP in the Irish Parliament. These roles, even if discharged by deputy as far as possible, must have taken him to Ireland on a regular basis, and he found an Irish bride. However, he does not seem to have lived chiefly in Ireland, for his children were all baptised in London and made their lives in England. He was succeeded at Stanlake by his eldest son, John Aldworth (1680-1710), who married but had no issue, and died young, to be succeeded by his brother, Richard Aldworth (1684-1738). Richard's career in the public service, which culminated in his appointment as Yeoman of the Jewel House (second in command of the protection of the Crown jewels) does not seem to have been hindered by his killing a guest in a duel after an altercation at his birthday party in 1720, although it did lead to an unsuccessful attempt in Parliament to legislate against duelling.
When Richard died in 1738 his only child and successor was his son, Richard Neville Aldworth (1717-93), who came of age about four months later. With no parents or guardians to restrain him, and no siblings to provide for, Richard was in the happy and unusual position for a young man of his time in being able to follow his own inclinations. He undertook an extended Grand Tour, 1739-44, wintering at Geneva where he was part of a very smart group of high-spirited but cultured 'young bloods' known as the Common Room Set. On his return to England he was elected to the Society of Dilettanti, but quickly settled down to marriage and the role in public affairs which he was expected to perform. He was a Whig in politics, in contrast to earlier generations of his family, and closely associated with the Duke of Bedford, who secured his election as an MP and took him as his secretary when he was ambassador to France in 1762-63. In 1745 he inherited the Little Frogmore estate at Windsor from his cousin, Elizabeth Aldworth, and in 1762 the much larger Billingbear estate (Berks) from his maternal aunt, Lady Portsmouth, which had a transformative effect on his finances, and as a consequence of which he was obliged to take the additional surname Neville. He retained all his property until his death, except Little Frogmore, which Queen Charlotte bought in 1790 as a calm retreat for herself and her daughters from the official parade of Windsor Castle.
Sadly, Richard's Swiss wife died in 1750 after only two years of marriage, leaving him with one son and one daughter. His son, Richard Aldworth-Neville (1750-1825) inherited from his father both the Neville family estate at Billingbear Park, with lands in Wargrave, Warfield and elsewhere, and the Stanlake estate, including lands in Ruscombe and Hurst, as well as the Shaw estate adjoining Frogmore House. Four years later, on the death of his third cousin, John Griffin Griffin (1719-97), 4th Lord Howard de Walden and 1st Baron Braybrooke, he also inherited the barony of Braybrooke (but not that of Howard), and two thirds of the Audley End estate in Essex, and was required to take the name Griffin in place of Aldworth-Neville. Between 1798 and 1804 he sold the Stanlake estate to Sir Nathaniel Dukinfield (1746-1824), 5th bt, but in 1814 he purchased the remaining third of the Audley End estate from the Marquess of Bristol, which consisted of lands at Littlebury (Essex). The changes of name and of estate in his lifetime, and the fact that his grandson reverted to the surname Neville, makes it seem more appropriate to give accounts of Billingbear House and Audley End, and of his descendants, in a future post on the Neville family, Barons Braybrooke.
Stanlake Park, Berkshire*
A moated platform in a plantation on the estate is thought to have been the site of the original manor house, but this may have been superseded by a house on the present site long before the present two-storey gabled H-shaped house of brick with stone dressings was built in the early 17th century for Richard Aldworth.
|Stanlake Park: drawing by John Buckler, c.1820. Image: British Library|
|Stanlake Park: garden front in 2014. Image: Des Blenkinsopp. Some rights reserved.|
Descent: Henry & Agnes Reynold sold 1502 to Sir Reginald Bray (d. 1503); to niece Margaret, wife of Sir William Sandys (c.1470-1540), 1st Baron Sandys of The Vyne; to son Thomas Sandys (d. 1560), 2nd Baron Sandys of The Vyne; to son, William Sandys (d. 1623), 3rd Baron Sandys of The Vyne, who sold c.1599 to Miles Sandys (1520-1601); to son, Sir Edwin Sandys (1561-1629), who sold 1606 to Sir Thomas Windebank (1538-1607), kt.; to son, Francis Windebank (1582-1646), Secretary of State, who sold 1610 to Richard Aldworth (1557-1623), a London grocer; to son, Richard Aldworth (1589-1639); to son, Richard Aldworth (1615-80); to son, Richard Aldworth (1646-1706); to son, John Aldworth (1680-1710); to brother, Richard Aldworth (1684- 1738); to son, Richard Neville Aldworth (later Aldworth-Neville) (1717-93); to son, Richard Aldworth-Neville (later Griffin) (1750-1825), 2nd Baron Braybrooke; sold to Sir Nathaniel Dukinfield (1746-1824), 5th bt.; to son, Sir John Lloyd Dukinfield (1785-1836), 6th bt.; to brother, Rev. Sir Henry Robert Dukinfield (1791-1858), 7th bt., who sold 1847 to George Barker (1795-1868); to son, George William Barker (1831-69); to mother, Emma Sophia Barker (1799-1886) and then to brother, Rev. Alfred Gresley Barker (1835-1906), who let it to E.M. Sturges; to son, Frederick George Barker (1866-1951); sold 1952 to S.E. Leighton; to Jonathan Leighton (b. 1934); sold 2005 to Peter and Annette Dart.
* Stanlake Park lay in a detached exclave of Wiltshire until 1844.
Frogmore House, Windsor, Berkshire
The Frogmore estate has belonged to the Crown since the reign of Henry VIII, and has been an important royal residence for more than two centuries, but until 1793 it was occupied by a succession of Crown tenants who were responsible for the construction of the building and its subsequent adaption for more than a century. At the time of the Cromwellian survey of the estate in 1649, there were two separate holdings, with closely-adjacent timber-framed houses, one of which was a 'capital mansion house', later known as Frogmore Farm, while the smaller house was later known as Gwynne Farm. The latter derived its name from its tenancy by William Gwynne (d. 1667), whose daughter and heiress, Anne, was the wife of Richard Aldworth (1614-80). In the 1670s small areas from both estates had been taken into the King's hands as part of Windsor Little Park to assist in the laying out of the grounds around the new Ranger's House. In 1679 Richard Aldworth petitioned for a renewal of his lease pointing out that the buildings on his land were so decrepit that they must be rebuilt, and since they overlooked the King's park they needed 'to be made uniforme and handsome, which require a Great expence and charge'.
|Frogmore House: appearance in 1697 from a lost estate map,|
published in Tighe & Davis' Annals of Windsor, 1858.
|Frogmore House: survey plan by William Biggs c.1750 (east at the bottom).|
Image: © Sir John Soane's Museum 43/5/36.
Thomas and Anne May did not, however, occupy their new house at Frogmore for very long, for within a few years they inherited Hugh May's estate at Rawmere and relocated to Sussex, and Anne's brother, William Aldworth (d. 1700) who had bought the lease of Frogmore Farm in 1684 at a price later assessed as having been well over the market rate, took on their lease and combined the two estates, of which he obtained a further new 60-year lease in 1688. By 1697 the old mansion house of Frogmore Farm had been demolished and replaced by a smaller house - later known as Little Frogmore. Although William had a good income from a number of important positions as the Auditor of various members of the royal family and Government bodies, he was a victim of fraud in the 1690s, and died leaving debts greater than his assets. In these circumstances his son Charles Aldworth (d. 1714) and his sisters had little choice but to the sell the remainder of their lease of Frogmore House and move to Little Frogmore, which they did in 1709. The lease of the great house was bought by George Fitzroy (1665-1716), Duke of Northumberland, who was Constable of Windsor Castle and the illegitimate son of Charles II and Barbara Villiers, Duchess of Cleveland.
|Frogmore House: murals attributed to Louis Laguerre, revealed during restoration work in 1983 and since restored. Image: Crown Copyright.|
It would seem to have been the Duke who, in his relatively brief occupation of Frogmore, made the first changes to the house. The original wooden cross windows were lengthened and replaced by sashes; the first floor central window was narrowed to the same width as the others; the hipped roof was altered with the removal of the dormer windows and the installation of a parapet in place of the earlier cornice, and the doorcase was altered to remove its old-fashioned hood. Inside, the walls of the staircase were decorated with mural paintings based on scenes from the Aeneid which were particularly relevant to the Duke's own life. These paintings, which were covered over in about 1760, were revealed during restoration works in the 1980s and have since been restored. The style and quality of the paintings suggests that they were probably the work of Louis Laguerre (1663-1721). A new stable block (now flats) was apparently built as part of the works, since it houses a bell dated 1711, and the long range of outbuildings connecting the house to the stables, which is evident on the survey plan of c.1745, was probably of the same date.
In 1748 the lease of Frogmore was bought by Edward Walpole, the somewhat reclusive second son of the Prime Minister, Robert Walpole and brother of Horace Walpole (with whom he was not on speaking terms). He was apparently responsible for covering over the mural paintings on the staircase hall in 1760. His successors were responsible for repairs in 1770 and 1774, but the house was still fundamentally the one which Thomas May had built over a century earlier when Queen Charlotte bought the lease in 1792. The Queen had previously bought the adjoining Little Frogmore, which she renamed Amelia Cottage, in 1790, and her first thought was to transform this into a small villa with a garden where she could have privacy and develop her botanical interests. James Wyatt produced an enchanting scheme to replace the existing house with a Gothic villa with four rooms on each floor and four towers, which was sadly never built.
|Frogmore House: engraving by Samuel Howitt of the garden front between the first and second phases of Wyatt's alterations, 1802.|
Image: Royal Collection Trust / © Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2019
|Frogmore House: garden front as remodelled by James Wyatt, c.1792-95 and c.1804. |
Image: Nick Kingsley. Some rights reserved.
After buying the much larger Frogmore House, Queen Charlotte asked James Wyatt to modernize and remodel it, with much of the internal painted decoration being actually executed by the Queen and her daughters. Wyatt seems to have done the work pro bono, perhaps with the thought that it would lead to further and more lucrative commissions from the royal family. Externally, Wyatt's main changes were to remove the original hipped roof and replace it with an attic storey and a low-pitched roof; to coat the house in stucco; to add the Doric porte-cochère to the entrance front and the seven-bay Doric colonnade to the garden front, with a pavilion at either end; and to build the wings. The latter were constructed in two stages: first the inner rooms with tripartite windows in 1792-95, and then the outer sections including the bow windows in c.1804. The colonnade on the west front was originally open, but had been enclosed with windows by 1818.
|Frogmore House: a hand-coloured photograph of the Wyatt staircase, 1861.|
Image: Royal Collection Trust / © Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2019
|Frogmore House: Queen Charlotte's Library in the south wing, 1817. Image: Royal Collection Trust / © Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2019.|
As soon as Queen Charlotte acquired the Little Frogmore estate in 1790 she began laying out the grounds and the work was greatly expanded in scale once she had acquired the 53 acres of the Frogmore House grounds. Her chief adviser seems to have been William Price, brother of the Picturesque pioneer, Sir Uvedale Price, who became her Vice-Chamberlain at this time. An ornamental canal was remodelled as a serpentine lake, and garden buildings were designed by both Princess Elizabeth and James Wyatt. This layout is largely intact, although of the buildings only the Gothic Ruin survives.
|Frogmore House: the Gothic Ruin designed by James Wyatt.|
Image: Royal Collection Trust / © Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2019
|Frogmore House: the delightful rustic hermitage, perhaps designed by Princess Elizabeth (demolished).|
Image: Royal Collection Trust / © Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2019
Descent: Crown leased to William Gwynne (d. 1667); given 1664 to daughter Anne, wife of Richard Aldworth (1615-80); to daughter, Anne (1649-1726), wife of Sir Thomas May, kt. (c.1645-1718); sold c.1685 to brother, William Aldworth (1647-1700); to son, Charles Aldworth (c.1677-1714); sold 1709 to George Fitzroy (1665-1716), 1st Duke of Northumberland; to widow, Mary (née Dutton) (d. 1738), Duchess of Northumberland; to niece, Grace Parsons (who sublet it); sold 1748 to Edward Walpole (1706-84); sold 1766 to Dr. Stephen Waller; sold 1773 to Miss Anne Egerton; sold 1792 to Queen Charlotte (1744-1818); to daughter, Princess Augusta Sophia (1768-1840); to Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld (1786-1861), Duchess of Kent; since her death the house has been used by members of the royal family as a short-term residence and (by Queen Mary) as a family museum. Since the restoration of 1983-90 this pattern has resumed and it is also occasionally open for public group tours.
Aldworth family of Stanlake Park
Aldworth, Richard (1557-1623). Son of John Aldworth (fl. 1594) and his wife Alice [maiden name unknown], and nephew of Richard Aldworth, who was thrice mayor of Reading and a benefactor of that town. Citizen and grocer of London; he was one of the 'Company of Eastland Merchants' who petitioned the Government about measures against plague, 1603, and was admitted to the Spanish Company in 1605. He married 1st, probably 5 June 1587 at Clapham (Surrey), Anne alias Agnes, daughter of Richard May of London, and 2nd, c.1605, Margaret, daughter of Thomas Deane of Reading, clothier, and had issue*:
(1.1) Richard Aldworth (1589-1639) (q.v.);
(2.1) Margaret Aldworth (1606-95), baptised at Wargrave, 19 October 1606; married, 4 September 1623 at St James, Clerkenwell (Middx), Sir George Wilmot (c.1601-71), kt., of Letcombe and Charlton near Wantage, and had issue two sons; buried at Lambourn (Berks), 13 February 1695.
(2.2) Thomas Aldworth (b. 1609), baptised at St Lawrence Jewry, London, 26 January 1609; died before 1623;
(2.3) William Aldworth (b. 1610), baptised at St Augustine, Watling St., London, 26 June 1610; died before 1623.
He had houses in Reading and Aldermanbury, London, and purchased Stanlake Park from Francis Windebank in 1610. Either he or his son built a new house there which was complete by 1626.
He died 13 May 1623; his will was proved 26 June 1623. His first wife died about 1595. His second wife also predeceased him but her date of death is unknown.
* Some sources also mention two daughters by his first wife, Alice and Anne, but I can find no record of them.
Aldworth, Richard (1589-1639). Only son of Richard Aldworth (1557-1623) and his first wife Anne alias Agnes, daughter of Richard May of London, baptised at Holy Trinity, Clapham (Surrey), 4 May 1589. (He seems not to be the same man as the Richard Aldworth (d. 1643?) who was Master of the Skinners Company in 1630 and an Alderman of London.) He married, 1614 (settlement 21 November), Amy (d. 1672), daughter of Thomas Parsons of Great Milton and Easington (Oxon), and had issue:
(1) Richard Aldworth (1615-80) (q.v.);
(2) Thomas Aldworth (b. 1616), baptised at Great Milton, 4 December 1616; the Visitation of Berkshire implies that he was married but perhaps had no issue;
(3) Agnes/Anne Aldworth (1618-44), baptised at Wargrave, 17 May 1618; died unmarried and was buried at Ruscombe, 17 March 1644;
(4) John Aldworth (1619-20), baptised at Wargrave, 6 December 1619; died in infancy and was buried at Wargrave, 7 December 1620;
(5) Robert Aldworth (1620-52), baptised at Wargrave, 1 January 1621; died without issue at Milford on his passage to Ireland, 1652; administration of his goods was granted to his mother;
(6) Henry Aldworth (1622-64), baptised at Wargrave, 1 January 1623; an East India merchant; died unmarried; will proved 12 August 1664;
(7) George Aldworth (1624-87); baptised at Wargrave, 25 March 1624; buried at Ruscombe, 16 September 1687;
(8) John Aldworth (b. 1625); baptised at Wargrave, 28 August 1625; died without issue before 1664;
(9) William Aldworth; born after 1625; living in 1664.
He inherited Stanlake Park from his father in 1623 and either he or his father built the new house there which was complete by 1626.
He was buried at Ruscombe, 17 March 1638/9; his will was proved at Salisbury, 1639. His widow was buried at Ruscombe, 26 November 1672.
Aldworth, Richard (1615-80). Eldest son of Richard Aldworth (1589-1639) and his wife Amy, daughter of Thomas Parsons of Great Milton (Oxon), baptised at Great Milton, 13 April 1615. Probably brought up in the household of Archbishop Laud of Canterbury, who was a distant relative, where he had 'education in the affairs of the council chamber'; he also studied at St John's College, Oxford (matriculated 1635; BCL 1642) and the Middle Temple (admitted 1637). During the Civil War he was an officer in the Royalist cavalry (Capt., 1642; Maj. 1646), and fought at the Battles of Newbury and Bristol and elsewhere; he fled to Holland in 1648 but returned in 1650 and was fined £200 by Parliament. Auditor of the Army c.1643-46. Secretary to the Archbishop of Canterbury, 1660-80; Auditor of Land Revenues for Yorkshire, Durham and Northumberland, 1661-80; MP for Reading, 1661-79; Auditor of the Exchequer, 1668-80 (Chief Auditor, 1672-80); Sub-Commissioner for Prizes, 1672-74; DL for Berkshire, c.1670-80; JP for Berkshire, 1660-80 and for Wiltshire, 1662-80. He married, c.1645, Anne (d. 1705), daughter of William Gwynne of New Windsor, and had issue:
(1) Richard Aldworth (1646-1706) (q.v.);
(2) William Aldworth (1647-1700) [for whom see Aldworth of Frogmore House below];
(3) Charles Aldworth (1648-1720), born 1648; educated at St John's College, Oxford (matriculated 1666) and Magdalen College, Oxford (demy, 1668-72; BA 1670; MA 1672; BCL and DCL 1686); Fellow of Magdalen College, 1672-1720 (Vice-President c.1687-1720); in 1687 he was among the fellows who attempted to resist James II's arbitrary intrusion of the Bishop of Oxford into the vacant Presidency of Magdalen, and was turned out of his office and fellowship, but he was restored by King William III, 1688; he was elected Camden Professor of Ancient History at Oxford, 1691-1720, although Thomas Hearne considered him 'a great Blockhead' and 'a person of no learning'; died unmarried, 15 April 1720; will proved 14 June 1720;
(4) Anne Aldworth (1649-1726), baptised at Ruscombe, 12 March 1648/9; her father settled Frogmore House on her and her husband in 1680, and they rebuilt the house, almost certainly to the designs of his uncle, the architect Hugh May, before inheriting Rawmere, Mid Lavant (Sussex) from the same uncle in 1684 and moving there; she married, 14 May 1675 at Sepulchre, Holborn (Middx), Sir Thomas May (c.1645-1718), kt., of Rawmere, but had no issue; buried at Mid Lavant, 22 July 1726; will proved 5 August 1726;
(5) Amy Aldworth (1653-72), baptised at Ruscombe, 29 September 1653; died unmarried and was buried at Ruscombe, 20 July 1672;
(6) Susanna Aldworth (1655-1731), baptised at Ruscombe, 7 January 1654/5; married, 5 June 1679 at St Martin-in-the-Fields, Westminster (Middx), Robert Hester of Shiplake (Oxon), but had no issue; widowed by 1724 (and possibly much earlier) and lived with her brother at East Lockinge (Berks); buried at Lockinge, 17 May 1731; will proved 10 July 1731;
(7) John Aldworth (1656-1729), baptised at Ruscombe, 24 January 1655/6; educated at St John's College, Oxford (matriculated 1668; BA 1672); Fellow of All Souls College, Oxford, c.1673-83 (MA 1676); rector of Elmley (Kent), 1683-84 and Lockinge (Berks), 1684-1729; died unmarried, 26 July 1729; will proved 23 September 1729;
(8) Margaret Aldworth (c.1658-1725?), born about 1658; married, 21 May 1684 at St Marylebone (Middx), Thomas Parsons (d. 1689) of Westminster and Easington, Chilton (Bucks), and had issue at least one son; living in 1721 and possibly the woman of this name buried at St Margaret, Westminster, 13 July 1725;
(9) Henry Aldworth (c.1659-84); born about 1659; died unmarried and was buried at Ruscombe, 17 February 1683/4;
(10) Elizabeth Aldworth (c.1661-73), born about 1661; died young and was buried at Ruscombe, 19 February 1673;
(11) Robert Aldworth (c.1663-72), born about 1663; died young and was buried at Ruscombe, 18 May 1672;
(12) Dorothy Aldworth (1665-1715), baptised at Ruscombe, 3 June 1665; died unmarried and was buried at Mid Lavant, 23 December 1715; will proved 31 January 1715/6.
He inherited Stanlake Park from his father in 1649 and his father-in-law assigned him a Crown lease of the site of Frogmore House at Windsor in 1663-64, which he transferred on renewal in 1680 to his daughter Anne and her husband, who rebuilt the house.
He died 5 October 1680 and was buried in the chancel at Ruscombe, 29 October 1680, where he is commemorated by a monument which pays tribute to the faith and zeal with which he served the restored monarchy and the Church of England. His widow was buried at Ruscombe, 12 July 1705.
Aldworth, Rt. Hon. Richard (1646-1706). Eldest son of Richard Aldworth (1615-80) and his wife Anne Gwyn, born at Lambeth; baptised at Ruscombe, 21 March 1645/6. Educated at St John's College, Oxford (matriculated 1661; BA 1665) and All Souls College, Oxford (MA 1668; LLD), and at the Middle Temple (admitted 1664; called 1672). Barrister-at-law; Second Secretary to Earl of Essex as Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, 1672-77; Receiver of Crown Revenues in Yorkshire and County Durham in succession to his father, 1680-1706; Chief Remembrancer of the Exchequer in Ireland, 1676-1706; Craner (port official) in Dublin, 1677-95; Chief Secretary for Ireland, 1693-96; MP for Dublin University, 1695-99; sworn of the Privy Council of Ireland, 1695. He married, 1677 (licence 25 April), Mary (c.1642-1705), daughter of William Crofton MP of Temple House (Co. Sligo) and widow of George Perceval (1635-75), son of Sir Philip Perceval, kt., and had issue:
(1) Anne Aldworth (c.1678-1723); married 1st, 1691 (bond 12 August), aged about fourteen, Edward Standen (d. 1708) of Arborfield (Berks), and had issue one son; married 2nd, 9 February 1708/9 at Arborfield, Charles Palmer MD (d. 1713) of Arborfield; buried with her second husband at Finchampstead (Berks), 2 December 1723;
(2) John Aldworth (1680-1710) (q.v.);
(3) Jane Aldworth (1682-1746), born about 22 January and baptised at St Martin in the Fields, Westminster, 28 January 1781/2; married, 1703 (bond 21 December) at Ruscombe, Rev. Dr. Gilbert Jackson (b. 1684) of Cuddesdon (Oxon) and had issue five sons and seven daughters; buried at Titchfield (Hants), 25 February 1746;
(4) Richard Aldworth (1684-1738) (q.v.);
(5) Mary Aldworth (1686-1745), baptised at St James, Piccadilly, Westminster (Middx), 10 July 1686; married, 2 July 1713 at Arborfield, James Hayes (d. 1750) of Chuffs, Holyport (Berks), barrister, and had issue; buried at Bray (Berks), 28 July 1745;
(6) Rose Aldworth (1687-1741), baptised at St James, Piccadilly, 28 November 1687; married, 1725 (licence 28 August), Capt. Christopher Keene; buried at Ruscombe, 7 April 1741;
(7) Arabella Aldworth (1689-1710), baptised at St James, Piccadilly, 10 September 1689; died unmarried and was buried at St Martin-in-the-Fields, 22 December 1710.
He inherited Stanlake Park from his father in 1680.
He died 14 November and was buried at Ruscombe, 19 November 1706; his will was proved in Dublin, 5 December 1706. His wife died 15 October and was buried at Ruscombe, 19 October 1705.
Aldworth, John (1680-1710). Elder son of Richard Aldworth (1646-1706) and his wife Mary, daughter of William Crofton MP of Temple House (Co. Sligo), born 1680. Educated at Christ Church, Oxford (matriculated 1696). He married, 18 December 1700 at St Paul, Covent Garden, London, Mary (c.1677-1766), daughter of James Tyrrell of Shotover (Oxon), but died without issue.
He inherited Stanlake Park from his father in 1707. His widow lived latterly at Windsor.
He was buried in the chancel of Ruscombe church, 21 July 1710; his will was proved 22 February 1710/11. His widow died at the age of 89, and was buried at Ruscombe, 5 February 1766; her will, proved 4 March 1766, left £50 for the erection of a monument to the memory of her husband and herself at Ruscombe.
Aldworth, Richard (1684-1738). Younger son of Richard Aldworth (1646-1706) and his wife Mary, daughter of William Crofton MP of Temple House (Co. Sligo), born 6 March and baptised 10 March 1683/4. Educated at Wadham College, Oxford (matriculated 1701). Verderer of Windsor Forest (probably from 1706, in succession to his father) and Deputy Warden (or Lieutenant) of the Forest 1732-38; one of the Tax Commissioners by 1720-1738; Yeoman of the Jewel Office, 1725-38. In 1720 he was probably the subject of a report in the Political Register which recorded that a William [sic] Aldworth, one of the Tax Commissioners, held a birthday party at which one of the guests was his friend, Owen Buckingham, MP for Reading, 'but both being elevated with wine, some hot words arose between them, and being gone out of the house to fight in the dark, Mr. Buckingham received a mortal wound; and with his dying breath owned he had given the provocation'; this sad affair moved the Master of the Rolls to introduce a bill into Parliament to outlaw duelling, but Aldworth does not seem to have suffered any punishment or loss of public office. He married, 19 August 1714 at Binfield (Berks), Catherine (1691-1720), daughter of Richard Neville of Billingbear House (Berks), and had issue:
(1) Richard Neville Aldworth (later Aldworth-Neville) (1717-93) (q.v.).
He inherited Stanlake Park from his elder brother in 1710.
He died at Shiplake (Oxon) but was buried at Ruscombe, 6 May 1738. His wife was buried at Ruscombe, 23 November 1720.
|Richard Aldworth-Neville (1717-93)|
(1) Frances Aldworth-Neville (1749-1824), born 12 June and baptised at St Margaret, Westminster, 26 June 1749; lived at Stanlake Park until her husband died (after which her brother sold it); married, 9 August 1794 at St. Marylebone (Middx), Francis Jalabert (d. 1798) of Crouchland, Kirdford (Sussex), a Swiss national naturalised in England in 1756; died November 1824;
(2) Richard Aldworth-Neville (later Griffin) (1750-1825), 2nd Baron Braybrooke (q.v.).
He inherited Stanlake Park from his father in 1738, the Little Frogmore and Shaw estates at Windsor from his cousin Elizabeth Aldworth on her death in 1745, and the Neville family's Billingbear estate (Berks) on the death of his aunt, Elizabeth, Countess of Portsmouth, in 1762. He sold little Frogmore to Queen Charlotte in 1790.
He died 17 July 1793. His wife was buried at Ruscombe, 1 July 1750.
|Richard Aldworth-Neville (later|
Griffin), 2nd Baron Braybrooke
(1) Hon. Catherine Neville (1782-1841), born 23 February and baptised at St James, Piccadilly, Westminster (Middx), 27 February 1782; noted for her charitable disposition and good works on the Audley End estate; died unmarried at Billingbear, 19 December 1841;
(2) Richard Griffin (1783-1858), 3rd Baron Braybrooke, born at Stanlake, 26 September 1783 and baptised at Ruscombe; educated at Eton, Christ Church, Oxford (matriculated 1801; hon DCL 1810) and Magdalene College, Cambridge (matriculated 1811; hon MA 1811); Whig MP for Thirsk, 1805-06, Saltash, 1807, Buckingham, 1807-12 and Berkshire, 1812-25; High Steward of Wokingham; Recorder of Saffron Walden, 1825-35; editor of The diary of Samuel Pepys (1825) and author of The history of Audley End and Saffron Walden (1835) and a Life of Jane, Lady Cornwallis (1842); elected FSA, 1838; President of the Camden Society, 1853-58; married, 13 May 1819 at St James, Piccadilly, Lady Jane (1798-1856), eldest daughter and coheir of Charles Cornwallis, 2nd Marquess Cornwallis, and had issue five sons and three daughters; died 13 March 1858 and was buried at Littlebury (Essex);
(3) Hon. Mary Neville (1786-1854), born at Stanlake, 5 August 1786; married, 11 April 1806 at St George, Hanover Sq., London, Sir Stephen Richard Glynne (1780-1815), 8th bt., and had issue two sons and two daughters; buried at Hawarden (Flints), 13 May 1854; will proved 31 May 1854;
(4) Capt. Hon. Henry Neville (1788-1809), born 1 March and baptised at St James, Piccadilly, 2 March 1788; an officer in the 14th Light Dragoons (Cornet, 1804; Lt., 1805; Capt., 1806); died at Santa Cruz near Truxillo (Spain) from 'a fever brought on by excessive fatigue' after the battle of Talavera, 31 July 1809;
(5) Very Rev. Hon. George Neville (later Neville-Grenville) (1789-1854), born 17 August 1789; educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1807; MA 1810); ordained deacon and priest, 1813; Master of Magdalene College, Cambridge, 1813-53; Vice-Chancellor of Cambridge University, 1818-19; rector of Hawarden (Flints), 1814-34; Dean of St George's Chapel, Windsor, 1846-54; chaplain in ordinary to Queen Victoria; inherited the Butleigh Court (Som.) estate from his maternal uncle, Thomas Grenville, 1825, and took the additional surname Grenville by royal licence; rebuilt Butleigh Court to the designs of J.C. Buckler in 1851; married, 9 May 1816 at St James Piccadilly, Lady Charlotte Legge (d. 1877), daughter of George Legge, 3rd Earl of Dartmouth, and had issue six sons and five daughters; died 10 June and was buried at Butleigh, 17 June 1854; will proved 20 July 1854;
(6) Hon. Caroline Neville (1792-1868), born 6 October 1792; married, 10 May 1817, Paul Beilby Lawley (later Thompson) (1784-1852), 1st Baron Wenlock, of Escrick Park (Yorks), and had issue four sons and one daughter; died in London, 2 May 1868; will proved 19 August 1868 (effects under £100,000);
(7) Hon. William Neville (1796-1803), born 11 June and baptised at St George, Hanover Sq., London, 19 June 1796; died young, 25 April 1803.
He inherited Stanlake Park and Billingbear Park from his father in 1793, but sold the former to Sir Nathaniel Dukinfield and the Shaw estate adjoining Frogmore to Queen Charlotte in 1806. He inherited the Griffin family's Audley End estate (Essex) from the 1st Baron Braybrooke in 1797. He had a town house at 52 Grosvenor St. from 1796-1803.
He died at Billingbear, 28 February 1825, and was buried at Waltham St. Lawrence (Berks); his will was proved in June 1825. His wife died 6 November 1796 and was also buried at Waltham St. Lawrence.
* Some accounts give the date as 3 June or 22 June.
Aldworth family of Frogmore House
Aldworth, William (1647-1700). Second son of Richard Aldworth and his wife Anne, daughter of William Gwyn of New Windsor, baptised at Ruscombe, 19 April 1647. He was Bailiff of Barnsley (Yorks), 1672, alderman of Windsor, 1685-88, freeman of Reading, 1685-1700 and a JP for Berkshire, 1688-1700; Deputy Auditor of the Exchequer, 1675; Auditor-General to Duke of York by 1679; Auditor and Comptroller of Hearth Tax, 1684-89; Auditor-General to Queen Mary of Modena, 1685-88; MP for Reading, 1685-88; Auditor General of Casual Revenues under the Penal Laws, 1689-1700, of Land Revenues, 1690-1700 and of the Post Office, by 1694; Auditor General to Queen Catherine of Braganza by 1694. He was a supporter of King James II, and was approached to lend James money in 1694, but soon afterwards was himself in financial difficulties, partly because of unpaid debts from the Crown but also because he was defrauded by a solicitor, Sir James Tillie. He was obliged to mortgage his estate at Frogmore, but even so, when he died his debts exceeded his assets. He married Anne [surname unknown] (d. 1695) and had issue:
(1) Charles Aldworth MP (1677-1714) (q.v.);
(2) Richard Aldworth (b. 1682), baptised at St Martin-in-the-Fields, Westminster, 30 November 1682; died young;
(3) Susanna Aldworth (b. 1683), born 4 November and baptised at St Martin-in-the-Fields, Westminster, 9 November 1683; living in 1726; died unmarried;
(4) Anne Aldworth (b. 1684), born 28 December 1684 and baptised at St Martin-in-the-Fields, 9 January 1685; died young;
(5) Elizabeth Aldworth (1685-1745), baptised at St James, Piccadilly, Westminster (Middx), 15 December 1685; died unmarried and was buried in St George's Chapel, Windsor, 5 February 1744/5;
(6) Dorothy Aldworth (b. & d. 1687), born 15 January and baptised at St James, Piccadilly, February 1687; died in infancy and was buried in the same place, 3 August 1687.
He was granted a new lease of Frogmore House by King James II in 1687, and he later purchased the manor of Shaw in Old Windsor on a 99-year lease. In the 1680s he made two purchases of land at Shiplake (Oxon), one from his brother-in-law, Robert Hester.
He was buried in St George's Chapel, Windsor, 26 August 1700; his will was proved 23 December 1700. His wife was buried at St George's Chapel, Windsor, 13 September 1695 and is commemorated by a monument in the Dean's Cloister.
Aldworth, Charles (c.1677-1714). Only son of William Aldworth (1647-1700) and his wife Anne, baptised at Westminster, 30 November 1677. Educated at King's College, Cambridge (matriculated 1693) and Inner Temple (admitted 1695; called 1703). Barrister-at-law. In 1696 he was granted licence to travel to Holland, and from there made his way to the Stuart court in exile at St. Germain, travelling under the name of St. Bernard; he remained at St Germain until his father's death in 1700. Once back in England, he petitioned the Commons in 1701 for his Windsor estates to be exempted from the bill to make void Jacobite Crown grants, which seems to have been successful, and in 1702 he obtained an Act of Parliament to enable him to sell part of his father’s estates in Berkshire, Lincolnshire and Kent to pay debts then amounting to £1,262 and provide portions of £4,000 and £3,500 for his two sisters. He was a Tory and a Jacobite and was elected MP for New Windsor, 1712-14 on the interest of the Duke of Northumberland and Samuel Masham. Being ‘a young rash gentleman’, he was ‘so indiscreet as publicly to drink the Pretender’s health, which drew upon him several unlucky quarrels’, one of which led to the duel in which he was killed. It is said that his death in the duel was ‘no great wonder, for he had from childhood such a weakness in both his arms that he could not stretch them'. He was unmarried and without issue.
He and his sisters inherited the lease of Frogmore House from his father in 1700, but sold it to the Duke of Northumberland in 1709. He retained Little Frogmore and the Shaw estate, however, and these passed after his death and those of his sisters to the senior branch of the family. His father's Shiplake property also passed to the three siblings, but it was sold in 1738/9.
He was killed in a duel by Col. Chudleigh, 21 September 1714, and was buried in St. George's Chapel, Windsor, 28 September 1714.
Burke's Peerage & Baronetage, 2003, pp. 490-91; Calendar of Treasury Books, vol. 8, 1923, pp. 1685-89; VCH Berkshire, vol. 3, 1923, pp. 247-60; N. Smith, 'Frogmore House before James Wyatt', Antiquaries Journal, 1985, pp. 402-26; J. Ingamells, A dictionary of British and Irish travellers in Italy, 1701-1800, 1997, pp. 13, 701-02; J. Roberts, Royal Landscape: the gardens and parks of Windsor, 1997, ch. 16; Historical Manuscripts Commission, Principal family and estate collections, L-W, 1998, pp. 36-39; S. Jeffery, 'Fox's 'Extraordinarily Fine' Chiswick Garden', Brentford and Chiswick Local History Journal, no. 15, 2006; G. Tyack, S. Bradley & Sir N. Pevsner, The buildings of England: Berkshire, 2nd edn., 2010, pp. 338-39, 677-83; History of Parliament biographies of Charles Aldworth (d. 1714), Richard Aldworth (1615-80) and William Aldworth (d. 1700); unpublished genealogical notes compiled by Deborah Hodgdon, in the possession of the author.
Location of archives
Aldworth and Neville families of Stanlake and Billingbear: deeds, manorial and hundred court records; estate, legal and family papers, 1221-1930 [Berkshire Record Office, D/EN]
Coat of arms
Argent, a chevron gules between three boars heads couped erect and ten crosses crosslet fitchee azure.
Can you help?
- I should be most grateful if anyone can provide photographs or portraits of people whose names appear in bold above, and who are not already illustrated.
- As always, any additions or corrections to the account given above will be gratefully received and incorporated.