Sunday, 16 June 2013

(49) Ladeveze-Adlercron of Moyglare and Culverthorpe Hall

Ladeveze-Adlercron coat of arms
The name of this family was originally Trapaud, and they were settled at Castillon-sur-Dordogne in Guyenne, France, where they were hereditary captains of the castle, town and viscountcy of Castillon.  In 1615, when the Duc de Bouillon took over the viscountcy of Castillon from Henrietta of Savoy, John and Paul Trapaud are noted as representing the De Mangots, one of the twelve noble families that did homage to him.  Later generations apparently followed the Protestant faith, and following the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes in 1685, Major John Trapaud (b. c.1660) had all his property seized and fled France.  He joined the service of the English King William III and commanded a regiment of horse at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690.  His elder son, John (d. 1766), who took the surname Adlercron in 1705 from his Swedish maternal family, continued the military tradition and rose to become Commander-in-Chief of British forces in India, 1754-58, and retired in 1760 as a Lieutenant-General.  He lived at Newtown, Castle Byrne (Dublin) and his son, Capt. John Adlercron at Rathinkill (Meath).  Capt. Adlercron was killed in Trinity St., Dublin in 1782, and his only son, John (1782-1852) was born posthumously later that year.  In 1804 this John added the name of Ladeveze to his surname on inheriting the estates in northern and eastern Europe of his cousin, John de Ladeveze.  In Ireland, John Ladeveze-Adlercron acquired the Moyglare estate (Meath) and Woodville House, Lucan (Dublin).  Moyglare passed in turn to his son, George Rothe Ladeveze-Adlercron (1834-84), who also owned Killiney Castle (Dublin), and his grandson, John Ladeveze-Adlercron (1872-1947), who sold it.    George’s second son, Brig-Gen. Rudolph Ladeveze-Adlercron (1873-1966) bought Culverthorpe Hall (Lincs) in the early 20th century and employed Reginald Blomfield to alter it and perhaps lay out the grounds c.1912.  General Adlercron had no surviving male heir, and the house appears to have been sold before his death.


Moyglare House, Knocknatulla, Meath



Moyglare House: entrance front




Moyglare House: garden front.  Image: VFM Leonardo via Kayak.com

A three-storey mid 18th century house.  The entrance front has a three-sided central bow and a single bay on either side of it, and a fanlighted doorway with baseless pediment; the garden side is expressed as seven plain bays with angle quoins.  A detached early 19th century two-storey three bay service wing abuts one corner of the garden front. Inside there is a fine plaster frieze in the hall.  In the mid 20th century the house was the home of Dr & Mrs W.G. Fegan, but it is now an hotel.

Descent: John Ladeveze-Adlercron (1782-1852); to son, George Rothe Ladeveze-Adlercron (1834-84); to son, John Ladeveze-Adlercron (1872-1947), who sold... sold to Dr & Mrs W.G. Fegan...sold as an hotel.


Woodville House, Lucan, Dublin


A rambling house, consisting of a symmetrical mid 18th century block with a fanlighted doorway in its entrance front, and a large late Georgian wing.  The original block is attributed to Nathaniel Clements, who owned the estate; it is a smaller version of his house in Pheonix Park.  The wing was apparently built in 1779 for Col. Henry Theophilus Clements by Thomas Penrose and Thomas Rodderick. The garden front with a curved bow is joined to the stables by curved sweeps with pineapples.  Inside the house had a small hall with a stone staircase and an enfilade of reception rooms along the garden front, including a large bow-fronted drawing room with 19th century wallpaper in white and gold and a room with a plasterwork frieze of fruit.  Charles Clarke, plasterer, was paid for work including the staircase and Great Room ceilings in 1788.  The house stood empty for forty years in the early 20th century, but was restored and occupied by Eva and Letitia Hamilton c.1950.  In a characteristically Irish sudden reversal of fortunes, however, it was demolished before c.1980.

Descent: Nathaniel Clements (fl. c.1740); Col. Henry Theophilus Clements (fl. 1779-88);... John Ladeveze-Adlercron (1782-1852), who perhaps sold to Maj-Gen. Sir H.S. Scott (fl. 1837)...empty c.1910-50; sold to Eva (d. 1960) and Letitia Hamilton (d. 1964), painters.


Killiney Castle, Dublin


Killiney Castle before recent additions

This house has been alternatively known as Mount Malpas, Roxborough and Loftus Hill.  The first house on the site was built about 1740 for Col. John Mapas or Malpas, and it is not clear whether the present two storey seven bay Georgian house is substantially of this time or a rebuilding for Col. Henry Loftus after 1764.  The Georgian house was given Gothic decoration in about 1840 by Robert Warren, including castellation, corner turrets, another pair of turrets in the centre, and a Gothic porch.  Later the arrangement of the centre was altered to create a canted bow a storey higher than the rest of the front and with a conical roof.  
Killiney Castle today

The house is now a hotel (Fitzpatrick’s Castle) and there are large additions, castellated in a perfunctory way.  The whole building is painted a lurid red and white.  An obelisk on the hilltop above the house was erected by Mr. Malpas in 1742 to provide employment and restored in 1840 by Robert Warren.
The Killiney Castle obelisk in 2012. Image: Patrick Comerford.  Licenced under a Creative Commons licence


Descent: Col. John Mapas alias Malpas...Capt. Edward Maunsell (fl. 1755-64), who sold 1764 to Col. Henry Loftus, 3rd Viscount Loftus of Ely, who sold...Mr Medlycott (fl. 1778); Mr Minchin (fl. late 18th cent.);  Francis Darcy (d. by 1783)...Mr. Henry (fl. early 19th cent.);...Robert Warren (fl. 1840)...George Rothe Ladeveze-Adlercron (1834-84); to son, John Ladeveze-Adlercron (1872-1947), who sold...

Culverthorpe Hall, Lincolnshire

The story of the present house begins with the building of a seven bay, two and a half storey house for Sir John Newton, c.1679; this is framed by a pair of detached office ranges at right angles to the main front, one of which is contemporary and the other apparently early 17th century, the sole survivor from the previous house.  In c.1700-05 William and Edward Stanton built a new grand staircase for John and Susanna Newton, unusually but effectively placed in a projection in the centre of the north front that replaced the original porch.  This has quoins at the angles, fluted Ionic columns framing the doorway and a tall staircase window above.  The addition is treated as a single bay but obscures three bays of the original house.  By 1734, Sir Michael Newton had begun further extensions, taking the form of lower wings attached to the east and west sides of the original block.  The wings appear two storeyed and of two bays on the north side but have on the south side a single Venetian window each, a lunette window in the basement, and a sculptured roundel above.  


Culverthorpe Hall: south front.  Image: Stephen Richards.  Licenced under a Creative Commons licence

Sir Michael also refaced the south front of the main block in a more Palladian style, giving it five more generously spaced bays in place of the original seven.  He further intended colonnades to extend his new wings outward and a start was made on these but they were never completed in the form illustrated in a Badeslade engraving.  These changes were apparently designed by Robert Morris and executed under his supervision, but Roger Morris was simultaneously employed on Sir Michael’s London house, and it is likely that he was also involved at Culverthorpe in some capacity.  Inside the house has competent interiors, chiefly of the Palladian period.  The staircase of 1704-05 survives in a spacious open well, with three twisted balusters to the tread, and nice details such as inlay panels to the risers.  The walls were painted before 1704 by Louis Haudoray with the story of Psyche, but the remains are now whitewashed over.  The main south door enters into a tripartite entrance hall occupying the full width of the original house, with two screens of paired fluted Corinthian columns.  The wings are occupied by the dining room (formerly morning room) and drawing room; the latter a fine white and gold room.  One chimneypiece was supplied by John Bossom of Greenwich in 1740.  A secondary stair remains from the house of c.1679.  Blomfield carried out unidentified alterations for General Adlercron after he bought the house in c.1901.  The gardens may have been laid out in the early 18th century with the advice of Stephen Switzer, but the present layout by Blomfield dates from 1912.  A freestanding chapel with a (then rare) pedimented temple front was erected in 1691, perhaps by William Stanton; its facade as been re-erected at the end of the east ride in a wood close to the road from Culverthorpe to Rauceby.

Descent: Sir John Newton; to son, Sir John Newton (d. 1734); to son, Sir Michael Newton (d. 1743); to nephew, Michael Newton; to John Archer-Houblon (1803-91); to nephew, Col. George Bramston Eyre (later Archer-Houblon) (1843-1913), who let in 19th century and sold c.1901 to Brig-Gen. Rudolph Ladeveze-Adlercron (1873-1966), who sold....Francis Edward Salvin Bowlby... G. Emerson...sold 1995 to Roger Clark (d. before 2014); to widow.


The Ladeveze-Adlercron family of Moyglare



Trapaud, Col. John (1666-1733).  Son of Jean-Jacques Trapaud (1627-c.1694) and his wife Margeurite du Foussat (d. c.1696).  He fled France after the revocation of the edict of Nantes in 1685 and had all his property there confiscated; went to Ireland and commanded a Protestant regiment at the Battle of the Boyne, 1690.  He married 1st, c.1688, Aymée (1667-1706), daughter of Pierre de St. Julien de Malecare and niece of M. Adlercrona, Swedish ambassador to France, and 2nd, 14 May 1711, Mlle. de la Millière, a relative of Marshal Turenne of France, and had issue:
(1.1) Lt-Gen. John Trapaud (later Adlercron) (1691-1766) (q.v.);
(1.2) Amelia Trapaud (later Ladeveze) (c.1703-65) (q.v.);
(1.3) Paul Trapaud (b. c.1705);
(2.1) Marianne Trapaud (b. 1712), born 21 February 1712;
(2.2) Charlotte Trapaud (b. 1713), born 1 March 1713;
(2.3) Capt. Alexander Trapaud (1714-96), m. c.1747, Elizabeth Wade (d. 1774) and had issue a daughter;
(2.4) Gen. Cyrus Trapaud (1715-1801), served in 3rd Regiment of Foot (the Buffs) and fought at Dettingen, 1743 and Fontenoy, 1745, and at Falkirk and Culloden, 1746; promoted Lt-Col of the Buffs, 1750 and saw action in Martinique and Guadeloupe, 1759; Col. of 70th Regiment, 1760, Maj-Gen., 1762 and Lt-Gen, 1772; moved to 52nd Regiment, 1778 and promoted General, 1783; Acting Lt-Governor of Chelsea Hospital; m. 1751 Catherine (1730-1803) , daughter of Richard Plaistow of Leigh (Bucks) but had no issue and adopted her nephew (Francis Plaistow later Trapaud); died 3 May 1801, being then the senior General in the Army, and was buried at Chelsea Hospital; will proved in P.C.C., 16 May 1801;
(2.5) Marie Trapaud (b. 1716), born 9 September 1716;
(2.6) Henriette Madeleine Trapaud (b. 1718), born 5 August 1718;
(2.7) Jeanne Renee Trapaud;
(2.8) Balthazar Trapaud.
He died in 1733.  His first wife died 22 January 1706.

Adlercron (né Trapaud), Lt-Gen. John (1691-1766).  
James Latham, Portrait of Lt-Gen. John Adlercron
Image: Wikimedia Commons
Son of Maj. John Trapaud (1666-1733) and his first wife, Aymée, daughter of Count Pierre de St. Julien de Malecare and niece of M. Adlercrona, Swedish ambassador to France.  He took the name of Adlercron in 1705, in compliance with the wish of his maternal great-aunt, the widow of the Swedish ambassador to France.  Served in the British army and was with the Royal Fusiliers at the defence of Gibraltar; appointed Colonel of the 39th Regiment, 1752, which he took out to India, 1754; Commander in Chief in India, 1754-58; retired as Lt-General, 1760.  He married, 1737, his first cousin, Elizabeth, daughter of Col. Bartholomew d'Arabin, and had issue:
(1) Captain John Adlercron (d. 1782) (q.v.);
(2) William Adlercron (d. 1780), educated at Trinity College, Dublin (admitted, 1759); served in 9th Regiment (Lieutenant, 1766; Captain, 1771); probably died unmarried;
(3) Elizabeth Adlercron (d. 1800), m. 17 August 1766, Rt. Hon. Sir Capel Molyneux, 3rd bt., MP (d. 1797) of Castle Dillon (Armagh) and had issue.
He lived at Newtown, Castle Byrne, Dublin.
He died 31 July 1766.

Adlercron, Capt. John (d. 1782) of Rathinkill (Meath).  Elder son of Lt-Gen. John Adlercron (d. 1766) and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Col. Bartholomew d'Arabin.  He served in the 59th and 39th Regiments and 9th Dragoons.  He married, July 1774, Meliora (d. 1797), daughter of Richard Bermingham of Portumna Castle (Galway) and had, with other issue who died young:
(1) John Adlercron (later Ladeveze-Adlercron) (1782-1852) (q.v.).
He lived at Rathinkill (Meath) and in Dawson Street, Dublin.
He was murdered in Trinity Street in Dublin in April 1782, and his will was proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury, 15 July 1785.  His widow died in 1797; her will was proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury, 8 November 1797.  For a portrait of him, see here.

Ladeveze-Adlercron (né Adlercron), John (1782-1852) of Moyglare and Woodville House.  Only surviving son of Capt. John Adlercron (d. 1782) and his wife Meliora, daughter of Richard Bermingham of Portumna Castle (Galway), born posthumously, 30 December 1782.  Educated at Trinity College, Dublin (admitted 1800) and Kings Inns, Dublin (admitted 1803) and Magdalen College, Oxford (matriculated 1804).  He assumed the additional name of Ladeveze in 1804, on inheriting the property of his first cousin once-removed, John de Ladeveze (d. 1804) (q.v.).  He travelled extensively, visiting Denmark, Poland and Russia, 1805, France, 1828, Italy and Switzerland, 1842-44, the last three trips with his wife.  Member of the Royal Dublin Society, 1810-52.  He married, 20 February 1821, Dorothea Catherine, daughter of George Rothe of Mount Rothe (Kilkenny) and had issue:
(1) John George Ladeveze-Adlercron, of 26th Regiment; born 27 November 1821 in Dublin; died in Bermuda, 22 August 1843;
(2) Anne Salisbury Meliora Ladeveze-Adlercron (d. 1902), m. 4 April 1850 Sir Robert John Milliken Napier, 9th bt. (1818-84) and had issue three sons and three daughters;
(3) George Rothe Ladeveze-Adlercron (1834-84) (q.v.).
He purchased the Moyglare estate and may have inherited the Woodville House estate from his Ladeveze cousin in 1804.  He sold Woodville House to Sir H.S. Scott, and subsequently owned a house in Torquay (Devon).
He died in Torquay, 22 January 1852.  His will was proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury in February 1852 and a new grant was made in the Principal Probate Registry, 8 May 1869 (effects in England under £18,000).

Ladeveze-Adlercron, George Rothe (1834-84) of Moyglare and Killiney Castle.  Second but only surviving son of John Ladeveze-Adlercron (1782-1852) of Moyglare and his wife Dorothea Catherine, daughter of George Rothe of Mount Rothe (Kilkenny), born 21 October 1834.  He married, 14 August 1871, Eleonore Aloyse Lillias (1847-1906), second daughter of Baron Godefroi de Blonay of Vernand, Vaux (Switzerland), and had issue:
(1) John Ladeveze-Adlercron (1872-1947) (q.v.);
(2) Brig-Gen. Rodolph Ladeveze-Adlercron (1873-1966) (q.v.);
(3) Nina Dorothea Ladeveze-Adlercron (1874-1941), born 29 November 1874; m. 1902, Rev. John Arthur Labouchere (d. 1920) of The Lodge, Burnham Thorpe (Norfolk), rector of Sculthorpe, and had issue; died 15 May 1941;
(4) Emily (Aymee) Georgina Mary Ladeveze-Adlercron (1876-1939), born 27 October 1876; lived at Fakenham (Norfolk); died unmarried, 14 March 1939;
(5) Aloyse Henrietta Ladeveze-Adlercron (1878-1968), born 20 November 1878; m. Maj. Edgar Galbraith OBE DSO of Wilde's Rifles, Indian Army;
(6) Dorothea Salesbury Ladeveze-Adlercron (1881-1913); born June 1881; died unmarried and without issue, 19 May 1913; will proved 16 June 1913 (estate £7,361);
(7) Amelia Meliora Ladeveze-Adlercron (1883-1968), m. July 1913 Col. Cecil Courtenay Lucas MC (d. 1957) of Royal Horse Artillery, son of Lt-Col. Henry Lucas of Dunchideock House (Devon) and had issue;
(8) George Rothe Ladeveze-Adlercron DSO (1884-1920), served as Lt., Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry and later as Capt. and Adjutant in 8th Hussars; severely wounded in action, 22 March 1918, and died unmarried and without issue in Bombay, 1920.
He purchased Killiney Castle and in the 1870s owned 407 acres at Killiney.  In 1852 he inherited Moyglare House from his father.
He died at Leamington Spa (Warks), 16 May 1884.  His will was proved in the Principal Probate Registry, 22 August 1884 (estate £163,156).  His widow died 23 May 1906 and a grant of administration of her will was issued 19 October 1906 (estate £2,027).

Ladeveze-Adlercron, John (1872-1947) of Moyglare and Killiney Castle.  Eldest son of George Rothe Ladeveze-Adlercron (1834-84) and his wife Eleonore Aloyse Lillias, daughter of Baron Godefroi de Blonay of Vernand, Vaux (Switzerland), born 4 July 1872.  Educated at Eton and Trinity Hall, Cambridge (matriculated 1891).  He married, 1897, Margaret Elizabeth (known as Maude) Kent (d. 1959) and had issue:
(1) Eleonore Margaret G. Ladeveze-Adlercron (1907-80), m. 1930, Richard Alwen Thrale (1897-1973) and had issue;
(2) John Charles Ladeveze-Adlercron (1916-51); died 15 December 1951; administration of effects granted to Public Trustee, 15 November 1951 (estate £4,170).
He inherited Moyglare and Killiney Castle from his father in 1884, but later sold both properties.
He died 17 January 1947, aged 74; his will was proved 3 September 1947 (estate £4,857).  His widow died 16/17 September 1959 and her will was proved 29 December 1959 (estate £6,570).

Ladeveze-Adlercron, Brig-Gen. Rodolph (1873-1966) of Culverthorpe Hall.  Second son of George Rothe Ladeveze-Adlercron (1834-84) and his wife Eleonore Aloyse Lillias, daughter of Baron Godefroi de Blonay of Vernand, Vaux (Switzerland), born 5 July 1873.  Educated at Eton.  Served in Queen's Own Cameron Highlands from 1894 (served in Nile expedition, 1898, Boer War, 1899-1902, WW1, 1914-19); captain, 1899; major, 1913; Lt-Col. commanding 6th West Riding Regiment, 1915; brigade commander, 1916-19; retired 1920 as Brig-General; appointed CMG, 1918 and awarded DSO, 1916 and bar, 1918, Croix de Guerre of France and Belgium.  Hon. Col. of 6th Battalion, Duke of Wellington's Regiment, 1931; Lt-Col. commanding 2nd East Kesteven battalion, Home Guard in WW2, and Col. commanding Army Cadets, Lincolnshire, from 1942.  DL and JP for Kesteven from 1926.  He married, 24 May 1910, Hester (d. 1939), younger daughter of John Chandler Bancroft of Boston (USA) and granddaughter of George Bancroft, the historian, and had issue:
(1) Lillias Nina Aloyse Ladeveze-Adlercron (b. 1911); emigrated to Seattle, USA, 1950 and died in America;
(2) Meliora Lavinia Ladeveze-Adlercron (1912-31); died unmarried, 4 October 1931, as the result of a motor accident;
(3) Hester Elizabeth Ladeveze-Adlercron (b. 1913);
(4) Pauline Aymee Margaret Ladeveze-Adlercron (b. 1914); m. 1936, Christopher James Morell Blackie, son of Very Rev. Ernest M. Blackie, Dean of Rochester, and had issue;
(5) John Rudolph George Ladeveze-Adlercron (b. 1920), died in infancy, September 1920.
He purchased Culverthorpe Hall c.1901 and lived there until after the Second World War, and later at Londonthorpe Hall (Lincs) and Wyberton Park near Boston (Lincs).
He died 12 June 1966; his will was proved 21 October 1966 (estate £18,911).  His wife died at St. Vigilio, Verona (Italy), 26 May 1939; her will was proved at Lincoln, 9 September 1939 (estate £7,898).  For a portrait photograph, see here.

De Ladeveze (née Trapaud), Amelia (c.1703-65).  Daughter of Col. John Trapaud (1666-1733) and his first wife Aymée, daughter of Count Pierre de St. Julien de Malecare and niece of M. Adlercrona, the Swedish ambassador to France.  She married, 21 February 1731, Col. Anthony Rotolp de Ladeveze of 19th Foot, a Hugeunot refugee, son of Rotolp de la Deveze, and had issue:
(1) John de Ladeveze (d. 1804) (q.v.);
(2) Rev. Abel de Ladeveze, rector of Moyglare (Meath); Archdeacon of Cashel, 1765; died unmarried and without issue.

De Ladeveze, John (d. 1804).  Son of Col. Anthony Rotolp de Ladeveze and his wife Amelia, daughter of Maj. John Trapaud.  Served as a Captain in 5th Royal Irish Dragoons and the Battle Axe Guards, 1766.  Married first, Miss de Jean, niece of General de Jean, Secretary for War, and second, Mary Vesey of Lucan, but died without issue.
He probably lived at Woodville House, Lucan, but owned extensive estates in eastern Europe.  At his death all his property was left to his first cousin, once removed, John Adlercron (1782-1852), who took the additional name of Ladeveze.
He died in June 1804.


Sources

Burke's Landed Gentry, 1952, pp. 12-13; M. Bence-Jones, A guide to Irish country houses, 2nd edn, 1988, p. 219, 287; www.trapaud.orghttp://www.dia.ie/works/view/59445/building/CO.+DUBLIN,+WOODVILLE+(LUCAN).


Where are their papers?


Ladeveze-Adlercron family of Moyglare: letter books, memoranda books, genealogical notebooks and travel diaries c.1726-1870 (National Library of Ireland, MS 3756-3846, 4481, 5081, 8730).


Revision & Acknowledgements


This account was first published on 16th June 2013 and was revised 3rd April and 14th October 2015. I am grateful to Peter de Loriol and Laura Karpisek for corrections and additional information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment if you have any additional information or corrections to offer, or if you are able to help with additional images of the people or buildings in this post.