Wednesday, 27 November 2019

(397) Barneby of Brockhampton Park, Saltmarshe Castle and Longworth Hall

Barneby of Brockhampton
The Barnebys of Brockhampton claimed to be descended from a junior branch of the medieval Barnby family of Barnby Hall (Yorks ER), but the earliest certain ancestor seems to be Thomas Barneby of Ludlow, who was Treasurer to King Edward IV and was killed at the Battle of Towton in 1461. He married Isabella, the daughter and heiress of Thomas Whitgreave of Bockleton (Worcs), who brought him an estate at Bockleton called The Hill, and also the manor of Leysters. The Hill (often referred to as The Hull) remained the home of his descendants for several generations. His great-grandson, another Thomas Barneby (d. 1572), married Joyce, the daughter and heir of Walter Acton of Acton Hall in Ombersley (Worcs), and they had a large family of eight sons and four daughters. The eldest son, Richard Barneby (d. 1597), with whom the genealogy below begins, inherited the Bockleton estate in 1572 and by 1580 he had a 'new mansionhouse' at The Hill, which survives (with later alterations) as the present Hill Farmhouse. Acton Hall went in 1572 to one of Richard's younger brothers, Charles Barneby, who later gave or sold it to Richard, and Richard acquired a third estate through his marriage to Mary Habington, who was the daughter and eventual co-heir of Richard Habington of Brockhampton (Herefs).

Although The Hill seems to have remained Richard's home until his death, and although he was buried at Bockleton, he evidently viewed Brockhampton as being the greater prize, since he bequeathed the latter to his eldest son, while his second son, William Barneby (d. 1626), inherited the Bockleton and Acton Hall properties. William was succeeded in both these estates by his son John Barneby (d. 1640) and grandson, Sir John Barneby (1621-1701), kt., but Sir John sold Acton Hall in 1649 and although he retained the Bockleton property he did not live there but in a house at Canon Pyon (Herefs). It was probably at this time that The Hill declined into a farmhouse. Sir John was succeeded in turn by his sons, Nicholetts (1644-1707) and John (1645-1710), after which his heirs sold it to the Baldwyn family, who were lords of Bockleton manor.

The Brockhampton estate included a fine and recently improved manor house which became the seat of Richard's eldest son, Robert Barneby (c.1555-1634) and his descendants through four generations, passing from Robert to his son, Thomas Barneby (c.1586-c.1658), and then to John Barneby (c.1614-84), Richard Barneby (1644-1720), and lastly John Barneby (1684-1731), who died without issue. On John's death, the property passed to his sister's second son, Bartholomew Richard Lutley (1714-83), on condition that he took the name of Barneby, which he did by a private Act of Parliament in 1736. In 1745 Bartholomew's elder brother, Jenks Lutley, died without issue, and Bartholomew then also inherited the Lutley family property in Shropshire and at Hallow (Worcs), and he had a further accession of fortune in 1756 when he married Betty Freeman, the daughter of John Freeman of Gaines (Herefs), who brought him a dowry of £3,000 and a further legacy on her father's death in 1764. This succession of windfalls left Bartholomew with the means to replace the old manor house at Brockhampton, which must have felt very small, old-fashioned and uncomfortable by 1765. He and his wife commissioned an elegant new house on a new site at Brockhampton with fine views to the east and south, and also enclosed a park around it, although plans for landscaping the grounds in 1769 were not carried out. Their architect was Thomas Farnolls Pritchard of Shrewsbury, who had a regional practice of some significance in the mid 18th century, and who also worked for Betty Barneby's brother at Gaines, a few miles away.

Bartholomew Barneby died in 1783 and his wife Betty two years later, and the Brockhampton estate passed to their eldest son, John Barneby (1757-1817). He and his wife had three sons and one daughter, all of whom ended up owning country houses. The daughter, Elizabeth Barneby (1793-1852) married Robert Biddulph Phillipps (d. 1864) of Longworth Hall, Lugwardine (Herefs). The eldest son, John Barneby (1799-1846) inherited Brockhampton. The second, William Barneby (1801-57) married the daughter of his uncle, Richard Barneby (1769-1830) of Clater Park, a property adjoining the Brockhampton estate, and thus inherited that estate. The third son, Edmund Barneby (1802-71) inherited the Saltmarshe Castle estate, to the north-east of Bromyard, which was the property of his maternal great-uncle, William Higginson (d. 1812). The condition of this inheritance was that Edmund took the name Higginson, which he did when he came of age. It is said that William Higginson originally intended to make Edmund's elder brother William (who had been named after him) his heir, but changed his mind when he caught sight in a mirror of young William pulling faces at him behind his back!

Edmund Barneby (later Higginson) (1802-71) inherited not only Saltmarshe, but also a very substantial personal estate, which was no doubt only increased by his long minority. As a result, he was in a position not only to build a new Tudor Gothic mansion (which he built in two phases c.1830 and c.1850 and called Saltmarshe Castle), but also to accumulate one of the finest collections of pictures assembled in England in the 19th century.
John Constable's 'Hay Wain', part of the collection at Saltmarshe Castle in 1842.
He was, however, unmarried and without issue, and when he died he left his estate to his brother William's only son, William Barneby (1846-95), who also inherited Clater Park on the death of his mother the following year. Edmund did not, however, leave his personal fortune to William; this was divided between the two sons of John Barneby (1799-1846) of Brockhampton, whom Edmund had brought up after the death of their parents. Both Saltmarshe and Clater Park descended to William Barneby's elder son, William Theodore Barneby (1873-1946), who sold the outlying portions of the Saltmarshe estate in 1919. The remainder of the property passed on his death to his nephew, Thomas Philip Barneby (1908-72), who completed the dispersal of the property in the early 1950s, and Saltmarshe Castle was pulled down in 1953.


The Brockhampton estate descended from John Barneby (1799-1846) to his elder son, John Habington Barneby (1840-1906), who came of age in 1861. For reasons which are unclear, he decided to readopt the name Lutley as an additional surname in 1864. He made some aesthetically unfortunate alterations to the house at Brockhampton at much the same time, although fortunately his restoration of the old manor house under J.C. Buckler in the 1870s was more sympathetic. After his death, the estate passed to his son, Lt-Col. John Talbot Lutley (1873-1946), who never married, and who lived at Brockhampton with his four sisters, three of whom likewise remained single. At his death, he bequeathed the estate to the National Trust, which valued the landscape and views of the park, and the picturesque qualities of the old manor house, but found neither use nor tenant for the Georgian house, which rapidly decayed. A proposal to turn the house and its outbuildings into flats was accepted in the 1960s but only the service wing and stables were actually converted. The main block of the house was leased to an insurance company in the 1980s and well restored, before being taken on by a private tenant in 1996 who completed its return to domestic use; it remains let.

The younger son of John Barneby (1799-1846) was William Henry Barneby (1843-1914). When he came of age he inherited a £10,000 trust fund under his father's will, and in the same year, he inherited the Longworth Hall estate from his uncle, Robert Biddulph Phillipps. He also received half the personal fortune of his uncle and guardian, Edmund Higginson, in 1872. In the year he came of age he bought Bredenbury Court (Herefs.), where he lived in preference to Longworth until 1898. He then sold it and moved to Brockington Grange, Bredenbury, which his wife had inherited. The Longworth estate was mostly let during his ownership, but after his death his son, Richard Hicks Barneby (1875-1923) occupied it, while his mother remained at Brockington. Richard's son and heir, Lt-Col. Henry Habington Barneby (1909-95), was a minor when his father died, and his trustees sold Longworth Hall soon afterwards to Sir John Fox Dillon (d. 1925), 8th bt., who was a refugee from the Irish troubles. Brockington Grange was also sold after his grandmother's death in 1933. However his mother, Margaret Barneby (1880-1955), rebuilt The Sheepcote, a farm on the retained portion of the Longworth estate, as her residence. Following his second marriage Col. Barneby lived in another house on the estate known as The Cottage at Bartestree, which had been substantially rebuilt by his grandfather W. H. Barneby in about 1900. He commanded the Jamaica Battalion in Jamaica for a number of years in the early 1950s, but on his retirement from the army in 1955 he moved to the Sheepcote until 1964, when he bought Llanerch-y-Coed at Dorstone (Herefs), which became his home until his death.

Lower Brockhampton House, Brockhampton-by-Bromyard, Herefordshire


A timber-framed manor house dating from the early 15th century, set within a moat in a valley just beyond the northern edge of the 18th century park of Brockhampton House. Close analysis of the site suggests that there was an earlier manor house here, set on a larger moated platform which extended further to the north. When the present manor house was built, the moat is thought to have been reshaped as part of a carefully planned landscaping that was intended to provide an effective visual setting for the house. This involved making the house platform smaller and the moat broader on the south-east side, so that the house was seen across it from the principal approach; and forming a subsidiary moated platform to the north-east of the site, which may have contained a dovecote. West of the house, and beyond the encircling moat, stands the ruin of a late Norman chapel, built of stone, with 13th century lancet windows in the chancel and a three-light east window in Perpendicular style, which is perhaps roughly contemporary with the house. This was abandoned in the post-medieval period and used as a barn.

Lower Brockhampton House: the house and gatehouse from the south, seen across the moat. Image: DeFacto. Some rights reserved.

The house is now approached through an extremely picturesque semi-timbered gatehouse that spans the (partially infilled) moat. Tree-ring dating shows the timbers of the gatehouse were felled in 1542-43, so it was probably built around 1545. The gatehouse has close-set uprights with a little diagonal bracing and square angle-posts with moulded capitals. The oversailing upper floor originally stood on thin twisted shafts of which some traces remain. The original studded door survives, and incorporates an unusually low wicket-gate. The gables are decorated with bargeboards with vine-trails, which now date partly from 19th-20th century restorations.


Lower Brockhampton House: view from the south-west, showing the brick chimney of c.1700, the hall range, and the eastern cross-wing. 
Image: DeFacto. Some rights reserved.
The house itself was probably built for John Domulton, who is said to have inherited it in right of his wife in 1403. Dating of timber samples from the hall and cross-wing suggested construction between about 1415 and 1425. Today the house consists of a hall range and a cross-wing to its east; the balancing western cross-wing, of which buried foundations are said to remain, is thought to have been taken down in about 1700, when the west end of the hall block was rebuilt in brick. The hall range has simple square box-framing, but the cross-wing is more ornate, with close-set studding on the first floor and bargeboards decorated with foliage trails. The upper room in this wing was no doubt the solar, and it retains a fine open roof with cusped wind-braces. There are brick chimneys of c.1700 at both the east and west ends of the house. 


Lower Brockhampton House: the house from the north-east showing the addition of c.1700 and, in the background, the Norman chapel. 
Image: Philip Halling. Some rights reserved.
Lower Brockhampton House: plan by J.C. Buckler of the house at the time of his restoration
in 1871. Image: The National Trust.
A new service area was created in the 16th century in the angle between the hall and the cross-wing, and in about 1700 the cross-wing was extended to the north in brick which seems consistent with that of the chimney-stacks; it is thought that this extension reincorporated into the house some outbuildings which were themselves fragments of the previous medieval manor house. Inside, the house was remodelled in the 17th century, when an upper floor was inserted into the hall, and the south room of the cross-wing was converted into a parlour: some panelling and a fragment of its moulded plaster ceiling survive. In the 18th century, following the building of Brockhampton House, the Barneby family moved out of Lower Brockhampton, which was used subsequently as a farmhouse. 

In 1871, J.C. Buckler oversaw an antiquarian restoration for J.H. Barneby-Lutley, which took out the inserted floor in the hall and constructed a new gallery above the screens passage at its east end. The house was included in the gift of the Brockhampton estate to the National Trust in 1946, and there have been further restorations for the Trust by Alexander Graham in 1952, by Stainburn Taylor in 2000, and in 2010, when the semi-timbered parts of the house and gatehouse were limewashed.

Descent: John Domulton; to son, Philip Domulton... Elizabeth Domulton, wife of William Habington... Richard Habington (d. 1545); to daughters, of whom Mary married Richard Barneby (d. 1597); to son, Robert Barneby (c.1555-1634) to son, Thomas Barneby (c.1586-c.1658); to son, John Barneby (c.1614-84); to son, Richard Barneby (1644-1720); to son, John Barneby (1684-1731); to nephew, Bartholomew Richard Lutley (later Barneby) (1713-83); to son, John Barneby (1757-1817); to son, John Barneby (1799-1846); to son, John Habington Barneby (later Barneby Lutley), (1840-1906); to son, John Talbot Lutley (1873-1946), who bequeathed it to The National Trust.

Brockhampton House, Brockhampton-by-Bromyard, Herefordshire

A red brick house, built for Bartholomew Richard Barneby (1717-83) in about 1765 on the site of an earlier farmhouse (which was confusingly called The Hill, the same name as the family's property at Bockleton), parts of which were evidently retained and incorporated into the service wing at the rear. The new house was designed by Thomas Farnolls Pritchard (1723-77), who worked simultaneously at Gaines (Herefs) for Barneby's brother-in-law, and it is almost identical to Hatton Grange (Shrops.), which is a documented Pritchard house. The attribution is clinched by the fact that there are three designs for chimneypieces for 'Esq. Barneby' in Pritchard's surviving drawing book, although, unfortunately, none of these chimneypieces survive in the house. 
Brockhampton Park: the main block of the house designed by T.F. Pritchard, c.1765, with alterations to the windows about a century later. Image: Historic England BB82/4695.

The south-facing entrance front is of seven bays and two-and-a-half storeys, with a pediment over the three bays in the middle, which are more tightly spaced than the rest and stepped very slightly forward. On the first floor the tall central window is arched, suggesting a Venetian window, and on the ground floor there is a pedimented doorcase which fits rather uncomfortably into the narrow space between the flanking windows. The left-hand return is of four bays, while the grander right-hand return, which faces an impressive view, is of five bays, with the central windows on each floor given moulded surrounds. The exterior was altered in about 1865-70, perhaps by William Chick of Hereford, who designed an unexecuted west wing in 1875. The multi-pane sash windows throughout the house were replaced with plate glass sashes and all the windows that did not have 18th century architraves were given surrounds with Corinthian capitals supported on implied pilasters of blocked rustication. This effect, which was quite remarkably ugly, was mercifully reversed when the house was restored in c.1987 by Norman Jones, sons & Rigby for the Pioneer Mutual Insurance Company.


Brockhampton Park: the end elevation as restored in the late 1980s.
Brockhampton Park: the entrance hall and staircase before restoration. Image: Historic England BB82/4696.
Inside the house, Pritchard's original layout was for a central entrance hall divided by a columned screen from a rather grand staircase which rises in one flight and returns in two. These features, and the chimneypiece in the entrance hall, all survive fairly unaltered. To the right of these central elements in the plan are the drawing room and music room, while to the left are the dining room and what is now a kitchen but may originally have been a library or study. These rooms were all wholly or partly redecorated at the time of the 1865-70 remodelling, and the only obviously original feature surviving in them is the plasterwork of the music room ceiling, which is comparable to work by Pritchard at Croft Castle (Herefs) and has as a central motif the musical notation of 'God Save the King'. The dining room has an Adamish cornice which was perhaps a late 18th century alteration. These rooms were all badly affected by dry rot in the 1950s and 1960s and the existing decoration is in part a recreation at the time of the restoration in the 1980s.


Brockhampton House: the ceiling of the music room is the most significant survival of Pritchard's interior decoration. This view shows the condition of the house before restoration. Image: Historic England BB82/4710.
Once the new house had been constructed, Bartholomew and Betty Barneby turned their attention to the setting of the house, and obtained a scheme for landscaping the park from Thomas Leggett, which is dated 1769. Leggett learned his skills working as a surveyor for William Emes, and since he worked at T.F. Pritchard's own house in Shropshire, it was no doubt Pritchard who introduced him to the Barnebys. However, although a substantial park was enclosed at Brockhampton at this time, almost nothing of his scheme seems to have been carried out: there is a lake on roughly the site he proposed but it is much smaller than he suggested, and the roughly elliptical kitchen garden does not correspond with his scheme. 


Brockhampton House: Thomas Leggett's plan for landscaping the park, 1769. Image: National Trust.
Further changes were made by later generations of the family. A new lodge was built at the south-east entrance to the park (Worcester Lodge) in about 1800, and was perhaps designed by George Byfield, who exhibited designs for a new Gothic chapel at the Royal Academy in 1799, although the building itself was not completed and consecrated until 1809. David Whitehead has suggested that John Nash, who knew John Barneby (1757-1817), may have been the eventual architect. The resulting building is a rather pretty little structure of grey stone, in a simplified Perpendicular style with a small west tower with tall octagonal pinnacles. Inside, the original fittings are remarkably well preserved, including the communion rails, lectern, college-style stalls, two-decker pulpit and west gallery.

Brockhampton House: the Gothic chapel built in 1807-09.
The park was new walled in 1817-18 and a new lodge was provided at the Bromyard gate into the park in 1850. By the mid century, the absence of a garden near the house was unfashionable, and Broderick Thomas and Alexander Roos were consulted about laying out a garden near the house in about 1865. Roos's scheme for an elaborate parterre east of the house was carried out and the outline of it can still be detected beneath the turf.

After the house was bequeathed to the National Trust, the contents were sold or transferred to other Trust properties, and the house remained empty and decaying for several decades. In the mid-1960s, Christopher Buxton took a lease on the house with a view to dividing it into flats, but his scheme was abandoned after the service wing and stables had been  converted. The main house remained in poor condition until a lease was agreed with the Pioneer Mutual Insurance Company in c.1985, after which they carried out a restoration of the ground-floor rooms and converted the upper floors to offices. In 1996 Alan Thompson took over the lease as a private tenant and the house was fully returned to domestic occupation.

Descent: built for Bartholomew Richard Lutley (later Barneby) (1713-83); to son, John Barneby (1757-1817); to son, John Barneby (1799-1846); to son, John Habington Barneby (later Barneby Lutley), (1840-1906); to son, John Talbot Lutley(1873-1946), who bequeathed it to The National Trust. Leased to Christopher Buxton (c.1966-85), Pioneer Mutual Insurance Co. (later Swiss Life Insurance) (c.1985-96) and Alan Thompson (c.1996-2011).

Clater Park, Linton, Herefordshire

Clater Park: a house of c.1740 (and perhaps earlier origins), refronted in the early 19th century. Image: Historic England BB74/2110.
There has been a house on this hilltop site since medieval times, and behind the present building is a complex of barns dating from the 17th and 18th centuries. The present house was built in about 1740 for Robert Pauncefoot (d. by 1752), attorney general to Frederick, Prince of Wales. The house seems to have been sold after Pauncefoot's death to Richard Sweeting Dansie, whose daughter married Richard Barneby (1769-1830), a younger son of Bartholomew Richard Lutley (later Barneby) of Brockhampton House, and it subsequently descended to his nephew, William Barneby (1801-57). It was probably Richard Barneby who refronted the house with ashlar in the early 19th century as a three bay, three-storey block with a Tuscan porch.


Clater Park: the staircase. Image: Historic England BB74/2112.
Inside, a remarkably large proportion of the volume of the building is occupied by an immense staircase, which must be of the 1740s, though many of the details do not look right for the date; it may have been altered in the 19th century. All the other rooms seem to be fairly small, but there is at least one good mid 18th century chimneypiece.

To the east is a brick-walled elliptical garden, similar in form to that at Brockhampton House; new gardens have recently been laid out by Mark Lutyens. A battlemented stone lodge was built on the main road in c.1830-40, but is now in separate ownership.

Descent: Grimbold Pauncefoot (fl. 1702)... Robert Pauncefoot (d. by 1752); sold?? to Richard Sweeting Dansie; to niece, Betty, wife of Richard Barneby (1769-1830); to nephew, William Barneby (1801-57); to son, William Barneby (1846-95); to son, William Theodore Barneby (1873-1946); to nephew, Thomas Philip Barneby (b. 1908), who sold 1950... Charles Moore (fl. 2015).


Saltmarshe Castle, Herefordshire


In the medieval period and later, Saltmarshe was part of the bishop of Hereford's extensive manor of Bromyard, and was held by tenants including the Mortimers and the Coningsbys, who presumably had a manor house here. Taylor's map of 1786 marks a house called Salt Marsh, which was occupied by William Higginson (d. 1812) after he bought the estate in 1799, but nothing is known about the appearance of this building, and there is no evidence to support the mid-19th century claim that there was a medieval castle here, part of which was incorporated into the later house. When Higginson died, his property passed to his great-nephew, Edmund Barneby (1802-71), and until he came of age was let to his uncle, the Rev. Thomas Barneby. Edmund took the Saltmarshe estate in hand in 1824, and the following year received royal licence to take the name of Higginson in lieu of Barneby as his great-uncle had directed. It is seems likely that he went on to build a new house in the Tudor Gothic style sometime between 1828 and 1834. It has usually been said that the castle was built in c.1845-6 by James Pickard of Shrewsbury, but a press report in the Worcestershire Chronicle for 15 August 1849 makes it clear that the house was built in two distinct stages, the second of which began in that year:
"This already fine edifice is now undergoing extensive additions and alterations from the designs and under the superintendence of Edward Haycock, Esq., of Shrewsbury. The additions include the erection of a large west wing, 130 feet long by 60 wide, with arch transom windows, a fine door and porch, and two high towers and turret; the whole in the castellated style, with rich details. The stone from Bromyard Down will be used. The first stone of the new works was laid on Wednesday evening, by Mrs. Barneby, of Brockhampton Court, who was accompanied by Master John Barneby, Edward Higginson, Esq., the worthy owner of the mansion, and Mr. Haycock, the architect."
James Pickard was assistant to Edward Haycock until 1854 when he set up on his own, and this no doubt explains how his name has come to be associated with the project. It is possible, of course, that the addition of 1849 followed very quickly on the construction of the first phase of the new house, but there is some evidence to suggest an earlier date. In 1834 Edmund Higginson ordered 'one of the most superb billiard-tables ever built in this country' in the Gothic style from John Thurston of London, which suggests he was furnishing a new house. He also bought an extensive collection of pictures formed by M. Boursault in Paris to furnish his gallery at Saltmarshe, which were sold by Christies at a three-day sale in 1846. Finally, references in the local press first refer to the house as 'Saltmarshe Castle' in 1840, which implies that it had by then achieved a baronial appearance. 


Saltmarshe Castle: the east wing in 1909. This was the earliest part of the house, built in about 1830, except for the later machicolated tower on the left and the one obviously newly inserted window.

Once one understands that the house was built in two stages, the distinction between them becomes fairly easy to spot. The first phase consisted of the east range and probably the northern service range, which does not seem to feature in any surviving photographs. This part of the house was on a smaller scale than the later work, and although highly irregular in design, incorporates some fundamentally domestic features such as the two bow windows (one square and the other canted). The design lacks form and consistency, with almost no two windows the same, and it looks like the work of an amateur or novice architect familiar with the work of Jeffry Wyatville but unable to use his architectural vocabulary to articulate a coherent elevation. 


Saltmarshe Castle: the Ordnance Survey 25" map of 1886 shows the footprint of the house, revealing the internal courtyard. The east and north ranges seem to represent the first phase of the house, the south and west ranges the extension begun in 1849.

Saltmarshe Castle: an early view of the house from the south-east. Image: Historic England BB62/49.
The second phase, for which Edward Haycock was responsible, consisting of the south front and west wing, more than doubled the size of the house, and included the machicolated tower to which the composition of the south front builds up and the big square tower at the south-west corner of the house. Here the scale is larger, the forms are bolder and clearer, and the result is a much more satisfactory overall effect. Little is known about the interior of the house, for which no plan seems to survive, but it seems probable that the principal reception rooms were in the later part of the house. They included a great dining room (built as the picture gallery) with a high timber-vaulted ceiling, and an immense drawing room with a heavily beamed ceiling.

Saltmarshe Castle: the dining room, built as the picture gallery. Image: Historic England BB74/2104.
A park was formed around the house in the early 19th century and three lodges were built in the 1840s: battlemented ones echoing the style of the house along the B4203, and a simpler octagonal lodge to the north-east. Later generations of the family seem to have made few changes to the house, and during the ownership of William Theodore Barneby (1873-1946) the house was let from time to time and part of the land of the estate was sold in the 1930s. Having no surviving son to inherit, the house passed on his death to his nephew, Thomas Philip Barneby, who sold the remainder of the estate in the early 1950s. The new owners demolished the house in 1953, and the only surviving remains are some crenellated garden walls, with one tall polygonal tower and a lower square one; a caravan park now occupies the site.

Descent: sold 1799 to William Higginson (d. 1812); to great-nephew, Edmund Barneby (later Higginson) (1802-71); to nephew, William Barneby (1846-95); to son, William Theodore Barneby (1873-1946); to nephew, Thomas Philip Barneby (1908-72), who sold c.1952; the house was demolished in 1953.


Longworth Hall, Lugwardine, Herefordshire


The Walwyn family owned the manor of Longford (later Longworth) from the 15th century, and their original mansion probably stood on the moated site at Old Longworth, where there was an ancient chapel. This first house, which does not seem to have been recorded, was replaced in the 18th century, probably for James Walwyn (c.1689-1766), who was MP for Hereford from 1723-27. The chapel at Old Longworth, however, continued to be maintained by the Walwyn and Phillipps families, and formed a 'picturesque object' in views outward from the grounds of the new house. In 1859-60, however, it was moved lock, stock and barrel to a site next to Bartestree Convent, where Robert Biddulph Phillipps' daughter was a nun.
Longworth Hall: the entrance front in 1988. Image: Nicholas Kingsley. Some rights reserved.

The 18th century house is said by the Buildings of England to have been erected in about 1760, but it was called 'Hanoverian' by Charles Robinson in 1872 and must, I think, have been thirty or forty years earlier than that. This house does not seem to have been recorded either, before it was remodelled and given wings to the designs of Anthony Keck in c.1785-88 for James Walwyn (1744-1800), who was also MP for Hereford. Keck's house has a centre of six bays and two-and-a-half storeys, clamped between two-storey wings with generous three-windowed bows to front and rear. Bows like this were one of the design ideas which Keck used most frequently, and the plan of Longworth can be compared with that of Hill House, Rodborough (Glos), which is roughly contemporary. Bows were useful in that they made it easy to contrive interesting and varied room-shapes within, and if a room had interest from its form, it needed less in the way of expensive interior decoration, enabling Keck to please his clients by delivering elegance on a budget. Nonetheless, what decoration there was, was done to a good standard. Keck was a joiner by original training, and he ensured that his houses had mahogany doors of excellent quality and good staircases. The staircase at Longworth, which rises at the rear of the entrance hall, seems to be a survivor from the earlier 18th century house, and has barley-twist balusters. The house also has some good plasterwork in Keck's best neo-classical style, including the tripartite door and window frame of the entrance hall.
Longworth Hall: view of the park in c.1820, with the old chapel on the left.
The grounds of the house were noted in the 19th century for their extensive timber and for the fine pleasure gardens laid out by Robert Phillipps within the park in the 19th century. West of the house is a late 18th century quadrangular stable block with a pedimental gable above its entrance arch, perhaps also by Keck. The estate has several lodges: a pair north-east of the house, thought to date from about 1825, and a Victorian one of c.1860, with patterned brickwork, stone bands and rather unexpectedly round-arched windows, which could be by E.W. Pugin.

On the death of Robert Biddulph Phillipps in 1864, he left the estate (but not his personal fortune) to his wife's nephew, William Henry Barneby (1843-1914), who came of age in that year and came into possession of a legacy left to him by his father, who had died young. Barneby seems to have used the legacy to buy the Bredenbury Court estate, and he never lived at Longworth. It was instead let to tenants or used by other members of the family throughout his long life. His son, Richard Hicks Barneby (1875-1923) apparently moved in after his father's death, but when he died in 1923 after a lingering illness, the estate was sold to Sir John Fox Dillon (d. 1925), 8th bt., whose widow remained at Longworth until her death in 1943. The house was then sold for use as an hotel, which it remains today.

Descent: Richard Walwyn of Ross-on-Wye; to younger son, James Walwyn (d. 1705); to son, James Walwyn (c.1689-1766); to grandson, James Walwyn MP (1744-1800); to son, Maj. James Walwyn (b. 1768), who sold 1805 to his uncle, Robert Phillipps (1749-1822); to son, Robert Biddulph Phillipps (d. 1864); to nephew, William Henry Barneby (1843-1914), who let to Edward Smalley Hutchinson (fl. 1872); to son, Richard Hicks Barneby (1875-1923); sold 1923 to Sir John Fox Dillon (d. 1925), 8th bt.; to widow, Lady Dillon (d. 1943); sold after her death for use as an hotel.


Bredenbury Court, Herefordshire

The original square, hipped-roofed, house was built in about 1810 for William West, but it was remodelled in the Italianate style and extended by one bay to the left in 1873 by T. H. Wyatt for William Henry Barneby (1843-1914), and further enlarged in Wrenaissance style by Sir Guy Dawber in 1902 for his successor, Francis Greswolde-Williams. 

Bredenbury Court: an early photograph of the house as remodelled by T.H. Wyatt for W.H. Barneby, 1873.

Wyatt's exterior is of rock-faced red sandstone and sandstone ashlar, and has roofs set behind balustraded parapets and rendered chimney stacks. Dawber added the single storey dining room on the east side and a rear wing on the north-west which replaced an earlier single storey range. There is a further long service wing on the north-east side. Inside, the 1873 work includes the panelled entrance hall and the staircase with twisted balusters and strapwork on the newels; and the chimneypieces in the inner hall and in drawing room. Dawber's alterations include the new dining room with a big segmental vaulted moulded plaster ceiling (possibly by G. P. Bankart) and panelling with carved festoon drops in the pilasters and Ionic columns framing the arched vestibule and inglenook. The north-west wing contains a billiard room with moulded ceiling beams and joists and another inglenook. 

The grounds of the house were laid out in the 1870s by Edward Milner for W.H. Barneby, who demolished the medieval church (much rebuilt in 1861-62) in order to clear the site. Wyatt was also responsible for the west and south lodges, but the stables and the north-east lodge are additions by Dawber. The house became a school in 1944 and it remained so until 2016; the property was on the market at the time of writing.

Bredenbury Court: the house in recent years. Dawber's dining room is the single-storey wing on the right.

Descent: William West (d. 1808); to son, William West (bankrupt 1820); sold to Charles Dutton; sold before 1858 to Robert Johnson, who sold c.1864 to William Henry Barneby (1843-1914), who sold 1898 to Francis Greswolde-Williams (1873-1931); sold 1920s to R. Logan Kitson; sold 1944; sold 1968 to St. Richards School (closed 2016).


Barneby family of Brockhampton Park



Barneby, Richard (c.1530-97). Eldest son of Thomas Barneby (d. 1572) of Bockleton (Worcs) and his wife Joyce, daughter and heiress of Walter Acton of Acton Hall, Ombersley (Worcs.), born about 1530. He married, c.1552, Mary (d. 1574), eldest daughter and co-heir of Richard Habington of Brockhampton (Herefs), and had issue:
(1) Robert Barneby (c.1555-1634) (q.v.);
(2) William Barneby (d. 1626); inherited the Acton Hall and Bockleton estates from his father; High Sheriff of Worcestershire, 1605; married 1st, 17 June 1588 at St Lawrence Jewry, London, Bridget Keye* (d. 1597), and had issue two sons and seven daughters; married 2nd, 1599, Amphylis (d. 1633), daughter of Sir John Lyttelton of Frankley (Worcs); will proved in the PCC, 16 February 1625/6;
(3) Thomas Barneby (fl. 1596); living in 1596; said to have died without issue;
(4) Joan/Joyce Barneby (fl. 1568);
(5) Ellen Barneby (fl. 1568);
(6) Winifred Barneby (d. 1597), born before 1568; married Henry Davenport (d. 1627), son of Edward Davenport, and had issue one son; died 1597 and was buried at Holy Trinity, Coventry (Warks);
(7) Elizabeth Barneby, born after 1568; married, 27 April 1598, Charles Phillips, gent.
He acquired the Brockhampton estate through his marriage, and may have had to buy out his wife's co-heirs. He inherited his father's estate called The Hill at Bockleton in 1572. A deed of 1580 refers to his 'new mansionhouse called The Hull'. He was given or bought the Acton Hall estate in Ombersley (Worcs) from his younger brother Charles Barneby before 1581. 
He died after 13 November and was buried at Bockleton, 4 December 1597, where he and his wife are commemorated by a large wall monument; his will was proved 28 November 1597. His wife died 9 July 1574 and was buried at Bockleton.
* Some sources give her name as Bridget Tolvey, but this seems to be an error.

Barneby, Robert (c.1555-1634). Eldest son of Richard Barneby (c.1530-97) and his wife Mary, eldest daughter and eventual co-heir of Richard Habington of Brockhampton (Herefs), born about 1555. He married Katherine, daughter of William Spooner of London and Lawton (Herefs), and had issue:
(1) Winifred Barneby (c.1584-1636), 'aged 50' at the heralds' visitation of 1634; married 1st, Thomas Williams, and 2nd, Thomas Moore; said to have been buried 21 June 1636;
(2) Thomas Barneby (c.1586-c.1658) (q.v.).
He inherited Lawton in right of his wife and the Brockhampton estate from his father in 1597.
He died 20 May and was buried at Bromyard, 22 May 1634. His wife's date of death is unknown.

Barneby, Thomas (c.1586-c.1658). Only recorded son of Robert Barneby (c.1555-1634) and his wife Katherine, daughter of William Spooner of Lawton (Herefs), born about 1586, as he was 'aged 48' at the heralds' visitation of 1634. He was evidently a Royalist in the Civil War, as he compounded for his estates in 1650 for £67. He married, about 1612, Elizabeth, daughter of William Ingram of Earl's Court, St John in Bedwardine (Worcs) and had issue:
(1) John Barneby (c.1614-84) (q.v.);
(2) Elizabeth Barneby (b. 1616), baptised at Bromyard, 16 January 1615/6; married Thomas Goodere of Hereford;
(3) Samuel Barneby (1617-43), baptised at Bromyard, 20 August 1617; died unmarried and was buried 22 October 1643;
(4) Thomas Barneby (b. 1619), baptised at Bromyard, 4 March 1618/9; died unmarried before 1683;
(5) Mary Barneby (1620-97), baptised at Bromyard, 9 May 1620; married 1st, Francis Walker of St John Bedwardine (Worcs); married 2nd, Thomas Twitty of Worcester, gent.; buried at St Martin, Worcester, 22 June 1697;
(6) Catherine Barneby (b. 1621), baptised at Bromyard, 10 May 1621; married John Norgrove of Ivington (Herefs);
(7) William Barneby (b. 1634), baptised at Brockhampton, 6 December 1634; lived at St John Bedwardine (Worcs); married Elizabeth Acton of Bourton and had issue three sons and three daughters; living in 1685.
He inherited the Brockhampton estate from his father in 1634.
He died in c.1658. His wife's date of death is unknown.

Barneby, John (c.1614-84). Eldest son of Thomas Barneby (d. c.1658) and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of William Ingram of Earl's Court, St John in Bedwardine (Worcs), born about 1614, as he was 'aged about 20 years' at the heralds' visitation of 1634. Educated at Inner Temple (admitted 1637). He was included on the list of persons qualified for King Charles II's proposed Order of Knights of the Oak in 1660, his estate being valued at £1,000 a year. He married 1st, 1641 (settlement 30 November), Alice (d. 1666), daughter and sole heiress of Richard Studley of Shrewsbury, and 2nd, 7 September 1671 at Corse (Glos), Mary (d. 1721), daughter of Edward Rowdon of Rowden (Herefs.) and heiress of her brother Anthony Rowden, and had issue:
(1.1) John Barneby (1643-68), baptised at Brockhampton, 22 August 1643; educated at the Inner Temple (admitted 1665); died unmarried and was buried at the Temple church, London, 8 May 1668;
(1.2) Richard Barneby (1644-1720) (q.v.);
(1.3) Edward Barneby (d. 1685); apprenticed to Richard Cotton, grocer, of London, 1669; died unmarried and was buried at St John, Worcester, 9 November 1685; will proved 12 December 1685;
(1.4) Thomas Barneby (d. 1730); died unmarried and was probably the man of this name buried at Lincoln's Inn Chapel, 12 September 1730; his will was the subject of a legal dispute in 1730 but has not been traced;
(1.5) William Barneby (d. 1687?); died unmarried and was probably the man of this name who was buried at St John, Worcester, 23 April 1687;
(1.6) Samuel Barneby (d. 1684); educated at Clements Inn, London; died unmarried and was buried at St Dunstan-in-the-West, London, 5 June 1684; will proved 1 August 1684;
(1.7) Judith Barneby; died young;
(1.8) Mary Barneby (fl. 1685); living in 1685;
(1.9) Lettice Barneby (d. 1721); died unmarried and was buried at St John in Bedwardine, Worcester, 24 March 1721; will proved 27 July 1721;
(1.10) Elizabeth Barneby; married, 20 April 1690, Joseph Marshall, and had issue one son and six daughters; living in 1708;
(1.11) Catherine Barneby; died young;
(2.1) Anne Barneby (1672-1727), baptised at Bromyard, 14 December 1672; married, 1691, Timothy Briggenshaw (c.1665-1722) of Earl's Court, St John in Bedwardine (Worcs) and had issue two sons and three daughters; died 24 July and was buried with her husband in Worcester Cathedral, 26 July 1727, where she was commemorated by a monument; her will was proved 20 October 1727.
He inherited the Brockhampton estate from his father in c.1658. His second wife inherited the Rowden Abbey estate after his death.
He died in 1684. His first wife was buried at Bromyard, 13 August 1666. His widow died in 1721; her will was proved at Hereford in 1721.


Richard Barneby (1644-1720)
Image: National Trust
Barneby, Richard (1644-1720). Eldest surviving son of John Barneby (c.1614-84) and his first wife, Alice, daughter and sole heiress of Richard Studley of Shrewsbury, baptised at Brockhampton, 15 October 1644. Educated at Christ Church, Oxford (matriculated 1663; BA 1667), Inner Temple (admitted 1674) and Middle Temple (admitted 1678; called 1679). Barrister-at-law. He married, 9 July 1678, Isabella (1655-1729), third daughter of Sir Nicholas Lechmere MP of Severn End, Hanley Castle (Worcs), Baron of the Exchequer, and had issue:
(1) Penelope Barneby (c.1679-1716) (q.v.);
(2) Richard Barneby (1680-1700), baptised at Bromyard, 21 March 1680; died 20 June 1700 and was buried at Brockhampton;
(3) Nicholas Barneby (c.1681-c.1702), born about 1681; educated at Christ Church, Oxford (matriculated 1695/6) and Middle Temple (admitted 1696); buried at Brockhampton, aged 21;
(4) John Barneby (1684-1731) (q.v.);
(5) Thomas Barneby (b. 1685), baptised at Bromyard 5 November 1685; died without issue in the lifetime of his father;
(6) Mary Barneby (b. 1686), baptised at Bromyard, 30 August 1686; died without issue;
(7) Rev. Edmund Barneby (1690-1729), baptised at Bromyard, 26 June 1690; clergyman; chaplain at Brockhampton; married, 27 May 1719 at Ludlow (Shrops.), Mary, daughter of Job Walker of Sheldon, but had no issue; buried 13 October 1729; will proved 7 August 1730.
He inherited the Brockhampton estate from his father in 1684.
He died 14 February 1719/20 and was buried at Brockhampton; his will was proved 3 May 1720. His widow died 10 August and was buried at Brockhampton, 14 August 1729; her will was proved at Hereford, 18 February 1729/30.


John Barneby (1684-1731)
Image: National Trust
Barneby, John (1684-1731). Eldest surviving son of Richard Barneby (1644-1720) and his wife Isabella, third daughter of Sir Nicholas Lechmere MP of Severn End (Worcs), Baron of the Exchequer, baptised at Bromyard, 6 May 1684. Educated at Christ Church, Oxford (matriculated 1702) and Lincoln's Inn (admitted 1703). His will suggests he was of a pious turn of mind. He was unmarried and without issue.
He inherited the Brockhampton estate from his father in 1720. At his death, his estate passed to his nephew, Bartholomew Richard Lutley (1713-83), on condition he took the name Barneby.
He died in the spring of 1731 and was buried at Brockhampton; his will was proved 18 May 1731.

Barneby, Penelope (c.1679-1746). Daughter of Richard Barneby (1644-1720) and his wife Isabella, third daughter of Sir Nicholas Lechmere MP of Severn End (Worcs), Baron of the Exchequer, born about 1679. She married, 30 December 1707, Philip Lutley (c.1680-1731) of Henwick, Hallow (Worcs) and Lawton (Shrops.), son of Bartholomew Lutley of Lawton, and had issue:
(1) Isabella Lutley (1708-72), baptised at Ludlow, 15 December 1708; married Maj. John Clement; buried at Eaton-under-Heywood, 7 November 1772;
(2) Jenks Lutley (1710-45), baptised at Ludlow, 27 June 1710; educated at Merton College, Oxford (matriculated 1726/7) and Lincolns Inn (admitted 1727; called 1734); barrister-at-law; inherited his father's Shropshire property and his house at Henwick in Hallow (Worcs), where he lived; refurbished the chancel of Eaton-under-Heywood church (Shrops.), 1743; died unmarried, 27 January, and was buried at Eaton-under-Heywood, 4 February 1745, where he is commemorated by a monument;
(3) Penelope Lutley (1712-96), baptised at Ludlow, 11 November 1712; married, 30 April 1751 at Great Witley (Worcs), as his second wife, Richard Sclater (1712-54), 'an eminent druggist' and alderman of London, and had issue one son and one daughter; buried in Worcester Cathedral, 12 December 1796; will proved 16 December 1796;
(4) Bartholomew Richard Lutley (later Barneby) (1714-83) (q.v.);
(5) Margaret Lutley (1716-85), baptised at Ludlow, 8 May 1716; died unmarried, September 1785; will proved at Worcester, 16 September 1785;
(6) Sarah Lutley (1717-85), baptised at Ludlow, 1 March 1717/8; died unmarried and was buried at Severn Stoke (Worcs), 10 June 1785.
She and her husband lived in Ludlow and later at Henwick in Hallow (Worcs).
She died 7 March and was buried at Eaton-under-Heywood, 15 March 1745/6, where she is commemorated by a monument; her will was proved 12 April 1746. Her husband died at Henwick, Hallow (Worcs) on 20 October, and was buried at Eaton-under-Heywood, 2 November 1731, where he is also commemorated by a monument; his will was proved 11 March 1731/2, and a further grant of administration was made to his grandson, John Barneby (1757-1817), in 1794.

Lutley (later Barneby), Bartholomew Richard (1714-83). Second son of Philip Lutley (d. 1731) of Lawton (Shrops.) and his wife Penelope, daughter of Richard Barneby of Brockhampton (Herefs), baptised 27 February 1713/4 at Ludlow (Shrops.). Educated at Merton College, Oxford (matriculated 1733/4) and Lincoln's Inn (admitted 1734/5). He took the surname Barneby by private Act of Parliament (9 George II, c.3) in 1736, in accordance with the will of his uncle, John Barneby (1684-1731). High Sheriff of Herefordshire, 1739. He married at Whitbourne (Herefs.), 21 December 1756, Betty (1732-85), 'a very agreeable young lady with a large fortune', daughter of John Freeman of Gaines (Herefs.), and had issue:
(1) John Barneby (1757-1817) (q.v.);
(2) Penelope Barneby (1758-1821), baptised at Brockhampton, 21 December 1758; married, 22 January 1782, Thomas Newnham (d. 1820) of Broadwas (Worcs), but had no issue; buried at Broadwas, 21 May 1821;
(3) Richard Lutley Barneby (b. 1760), baptised at Brockhampton, 12 June 1760; evidently died young;
(4) Abigail Barneby (1761-1805), baptised at Brockhampton, 21 December 1761; died unmarried and was buried at Brockhampton, 8 July 1805;
(5) Philip Barneby (1763-1839), baptised at Brockhampton, 9 September 1763; educated at Worcester College, Oxford (matriculated 1783); receiver-general for Herefordshire; married, 29 March 1810 at St Nicholas, Worcester, Eleanor, second daughter of William Lilly and had issue one daughter; died in Bath (Som.) and was buried at Stoke Lacy (Herefs.), 1 October 1839; will proved 7 November 1839;
(6) Lutley Barneby (1764-1838), baptised at Brockhampton, 22 October 1764; merchant in London, but lived latterly at Llwyngwyn near Abergavenny (Monmouths.); married, 24 July 1800 at St Edmund, Lombard St., London, Charlotte Beatrice Davies (d. 1844), but had no issue; died 2 February 1838; will proved 8 June 1838;
(7) Betty Barneby (b. 1766), baptised at Brockhampton, 16 June 1766; evidently died young;
(8) Richard Barneby (1769-1830), baptised at Brockhampton, 21 March 1769; lawyer in Worcester; HM Coroner for Worcestershire, 1801-10; owned Clater Park, which he probably refronted; married, 16 May 1799 at Brockhampton, Betty, daughter of James Dansie and heiress of her uncle Richard Sweeting Dansie of Clater Park (Herefs), and had issue two sons and three daughters (one of whom married his nephew, William Barneby (1801-57)); buried at St Nicholas, Worcester, 17 December 1830; will proved 17 February 1831;
(9) Elizabeth Barneby (b. 1770), baptised at Brockhampton, 20 June 1770; said to have died young;
(10) Rev. Thomas Barneby (1773-1842), baptised at Brockhampton, 14 August 1773; educated at Oriel College, Oxford (matriculated 1791; BA 1795; MA 1797); Fellow of Brasenose College, Oxford (BD 1810; Senior Bursar, 1812-13, 1814-15); ordained deacon, 1797 and priest, 1798; rector of Edvin Loach and Tedstone Wafer (Herefs), 1811-42 and of Stepney (Middx), 1815-42; died 11 May 1842.
He inherited the Brockhampton estate from his maternal uncle in 1731, and came of age in 1734. In 1745 he inherited the Lutley family property in Shropshire from his elder brother. He built Brockhampton House in c.1765 and enclosed the park around it.
He died 21 December 1783; his will was proved 12 February 1784. His widow died 14 May 1785; her will was proved 10 June 1785.

Barneby, John (1757-1817). Eldest son of Bartholomew Richard Lutley (later Barneby) (1714-83) and his wife Betty, daughter of John Freeman of Gaines (Herefs), baptised at Brockhampton, 16 December 1757. Educated at Oriel College, Oxford (matriculated 1776) and Lincoln's Inn (admitted 1777). An officer in the militia (Capt.). High Sheriff of Herefordshire, 1797. He married, 17 July 1792 at St George, Hanover Sq., London, Elizabeth (d. 1833), daughter and sole heiress of Robert Bulkeley of Bulkeley (Ches.), and had issue:
(1) Elizabeth Barneby (1793-1852), born at Uxbridge (Middx) and baptised at Brockhampton, 26 December 1793; inherited Buckenhill House (Herefs) under her mother's will in 1833; married, 5 August 1834 at St Marylebone (Middx), Robert Biddulph Phillips (1798-1864) of Longworth Hall, Lugwardine (Herefs) and had issue two daughters (one of whom joined the Sisters of Our Lady of Charity and Refuge, for whom her father built a convent at Bartestree in 1863 to the designs of E.W. Pugin); died 21 March 1852;
(2) John Barneby (1799-1846) (q.v.);
(3) William Barneby (1801-57) [for whom see Barneby family of Clater Park and Saltmarshe Castle below];
(4) Edmund Barneby (later Higginson) (1802-71) [for whom see Barneby family of Clater Park and Saltmarshe Castle below].
He inherited the Brockhampton and Lawton estates from his father in 1783, but sold the Shropshire property in 1801 and c.1807. At Brockhampton, he built a new lodge, chapel and park wall.
He died 11 February 1817; his will was proved 13 June 1817. His widow died at Buckenhill, 18 January 1833.

Barneby, John (1799-1846). Eldest son of John Barneby (1757-1817) and his wife Elizabeth, daughter and sole heiress of Robert Bulkeley of Bulkeley (Ches.), born 30 November 1799. Educated at Hereford Collegiate School, Eton, and Christ Church, Oxford (matriculated 1817; BA 1821; MA 1830). An officer in the Herefordshire militia (Maj.). In 1827 he accidentally killed Thomas Andrew Knight (c.1795-1827), son of Thomas Andrew Knight of Downton Castle (Herefs) while shooting on the Downton estate. Conservative MP for Droitwich, 1835-37 and for East Worcestershire, 1837-46, in which capacity he supported protectionist measures for trade. JP and DL for Herefordshire; Chairman of Quarter Sessions, 1835-45; Chairman of Bromyard Poor Law Guardians, 1836-45; Hon. Commissioner in Lunacy, 1839-46, being appointed after chairing a parliamentary select committee on the Hereford County Lunatic Asylum, 1839. In 1845 his deteriorating health led him to give up most of his public appointments and go to live in the south of France for a year, but his condition failed to improve and he died shortly after returning to England. He married, 24 July 1838 at St Mary, Bryanston Sq., London, Susan (d. 1850), eldest daughter of John Henry Elwes of Colesbourne (Glos), and had issue:
(1) John Habington Barneby (later Lutley) (1840-1906) (q.v.);
(2) William Henry Barneby (1843-1914) [for whom see Barneby family of Longworth Hall, below].
He inherited the Brockhampton estate from his father in 1817.
He died in London, 30 November 1846, and was buried at Brockhampton, where he is commemorated by a monument; his will was proved 24 December 1846 (effects under £9,000). His widow died at Brockhampton, 18 December 1850 and was buried there, where she is commemorated by a monument.

Barneby (later Barneby Lutley), John Habington (1840-1906). Elder son of John Barneby (1799-1846) and his wife Susan, eldest daughter of John Henry Elwes of Colesbourne (Glos), born 2 May and baptised at Brockhampton, 6 August 1840. After the death of his mother in 1850, he was brought up by his uncle, Edmund Higginson of Saltmarshe Castle. Educated at Eton, Christ Church, Oxford (matriculated 1858; BA 1861; MA 1865) and Lincoln's Inn (admitted 1862). He assumed the additional surname of Lutley by royal licence, 1864, and his children used Lutley only. DL and JP for Herefordshire and JP for Worcestershire; High Sheriff of Herefordshire, 1872. He married, 15 December 1864 at Withington (Glos), Emily Margaret (1843-86), eldest daughter of Rev. the Hon. George Gustavus Chetwynd Talbot, and had issue:
(1) Gwendolen Emily Frances Lutley (1866-1932), born at Oxford, 30 August 1866; after the death of her father she lived with her brother at Brockhampton but travelled extensively, visiting South Africa, the Caribbean and South America; she died unmarried, 23 May 1932 and was buried at Brockhampton; will proved 15 September 1932 (estate £3,798);
(2) Ethel Susan Lutley (1868-1945), born at Great Malvern (Worcs), 9 March 1868; married, 26 April 1911, as his second wife, Beauchamp Mowbray St. John (1844-1912), 17th Baron St. John of Bletsoe, Lord Lieutenant of Bedfordshire, but had no issue; lived at Hill House, Ampthill (Beds), and later with her brother at Brockhampton; she was described as 'incapacitated' in 1939; died without issue, 3 January 1945; will proved 7 September 1945 (estate £9,754);
(3) Geraldine Violet Lutley (1869-1897), born at Brockhampton, 26 June 1869; died unmarried in London, 22 October 1897 and was buried at Brockhampton, where she is commemorated by a memorial inscription;
(4) Gertrude Emily Lutley (1871-1937), born in London, 28 November 1871; lived with her brother at Brockhampton; died unmarried, 14 May 1937 and was buried at Brockhampton; will proved 1 October 1937 (estate £6,543);
(5) John Talbot Lutley (1873-1946) (q.v.).
He inherited the Brockhampton estate (3,061 acres in 1878) from his father in 1846 and came of age in 1861. He remodelled the house and created a garden around it in the 1860s. He also restored Lower Brockhampton House in 1871.
He died 2 September 1906 and was probably buried at Brockhampton; his will was proved 8 December 1906 (estate £40,246). His wife died 18 November 1886 and was buried at Brockhampton.

Lutley, Lt-Col. John Talbot (1873-1946). Only son of John Habington Barneby (later  Barneby Lutley) (1840-1906) and his wife Emily Margaret, eldest daughter of Rev. the Hon. George Gustavus Chetwynd Talbot, born 5 August 1873. Educated at Eton and Christ Church, Oxford (matriculated 1893; BA 1897). A freemason from 1894. Landowner and farmer; JP (from 1896), DL and County Alderman for Herefordshire. He was an officer in the Worcestershire Yeomanry (2nd Lt., 1895; Capt., 1897; Maj. 1906; Lt-Col., 1917), who served in the Boer War and First World War; ADC to Governor of Cape Colony, 1902-06. He was unmarried and without issue, and lived at Brockhampton House with his sisters.
He inherited the Brockhampton estate from his father in 1906. At his death he bequeathed it to the National Trust, 'to be preserved as an example of a traditional agricultural estate', a gift which took effect in 1950.
He died 2 December 1946; his will was proved 5 June 1947 (estate in England £99,456 and in Northern Ireland, £1,581).


Barneby family of Clater Park and Saltmarshe Castle



Barneby (later Higginson), Edmund (1802-71). Third son of John Barneby (1757-1817) and his wife Elizabeth, daughter and sole heiress of Robert Bulkeley of Bulkeley (Ches.), born 15 December 1802. He assumed the name name of Higginson in lieu of Barneby by royal licence in 1825. High Sheriff of Herefordshire, 1828. His obituarist described him as 'a gentleman of unobtrusive and retiring habits, playing no part in public life, but cultivating the fine arts and judiciously patronising artistic merit'; he was one of the Stewards of the Three Choirs Festival at Hereford in 1831. He formed one of the finest collections of paintings assembled in Britain in the 19th century, many of them bought in France in the 1830s, although it is not clear if he travelled there himself or bought through agents. A catalogue of his collection, which consisted primarily of works by Continental Old Masters but included Constable's 'Hay Wain', was issued in 1842. For reasons which are unclear, he sold his collection at Christies in 1846, although he subsequently bought further works and at his death left 'a choice collection of paintings and articles of virtu acquired without regard to expense'. In the late 1850s he financed the rebuilding of the churches at Tedstone Delamere and Edvin Loach on his Herefordshire estate. He was unmarried and without issue.
He inherited the Saltmarsh estate at Bromyard from his great-uncle, William Higginson in 1812 and came of age in 1823. The property was leased to the Rev. Thomas Barneby until 1824 and then taken in hand which gives a terminus post quem for the first phase of the castle. A second phase was begun in 1849 with Edward Haycock as architect. During the last few months of his life he moved to Bath (Somerset). At his death he bequeathed his estate to his nephew, William Barneby (1801-57) (q.v.). 
He died at Bath, 25 November, and was buried in Lansdown Cemetery, Bath, 30 November 1871; his will was proved 6 January 1872 (effects under £140,000).

Barneby, William (1801-57). Second son of John Barneby (1757-1817) and his wife Elizabeth, daughter and sole heiress of Robert Bulkeley of Bulkeley (Ches.), born 27 November and baptised at Brockhampton, 30 December 1801. JP for Herefordshire; High Sheriff of Herefordshire, 1849. He was a director of the Worcester and Leominster Railway Co. formed in 1845. He married, 15 January 1844 at Worcester, his cousin, Mary (1802-72), second daughter of Richard Barneby of Worcester, and had issue:
(1) William Barneby (1846-95) (q.v.).
He lived at Clater Park, which his wife inherited from her father, Richard Barneby (1769-1830).
He died of an infection caught from his son, 5 January 1857 and was buried at Brockhampton; his will was proved in the PCC, 30 April 1857. His widow died 22 August 1872.

Barneby, William (1846-95). Only child of William Barneby (1801-57) and his wife Mary, second daughter of Richard Barneby of Worcester, born 22 January 1846. Educated at Magdalene College, Cambridge (matriculated 1865). JP and DL for Herefordshire and Worcestershire. Despite these appointments, he took little part in public life, and devoted his time to the benevolent management of his estates and to the study of science and mechanics, especially electricity. He married, 13 September 1870 at Upton Gray (Hants), Katherine Anne (c.1836-1922), youngest daughter of William Lutley Sclater of Hoddington House (Hants) and had issue:
(1) Katherine Mary Barneby (1871-1935), baptised at Bromyard, 20 December 1871; lived in London; died unmarried, 24 May 1935; will proved 25 September 1935 (estate £15,340);
(2) William Theodore Barneby (1873-1946) (q.v.);
(3) Olive Charlotte Barneby (1874-1943), born 12 August 1874; lived at Tunbridge Wells (Kent); died unmarried, 8 January 1943; will proved 21 May 1943 (estate £22,154);
(4) Philip Bartholomew Barneby (1875-1943) (q.v.).
He inherited Clater Park from his father in 1857, and Saltmarshe Castle from his uncle Edmund Barneby (later Higginson) in 1871. He came of age in 1867.
He died 9 March 1895; his will was proved 12 June 1895 (effects £189,429). His widow died 5 March 1922; her will was proved 24 May 1922 (estate £1,971).

Barneby, William Theodore (1873-1946). Elder son of William Barneby (1846-95) and his wife Katherine Anne, youngest daughter of William Lutley Sclater of Hoddington House (Hants), born 31 January 1873 and baptised at Bromyard. Educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1891; BA 1894; MA 1898) and Inner Temple (admitted 1893; called 1898). Barrister-at-law, but never practised as such. He farmed at Saltmarshe Castle until 1909, but then let his farms and dispersed his stock (including pedigree Hereford cattle and Ryeland sheep) at auction. DL and JP for Herefordshire; High Sheriff of Herefordshire, 1904. An officer in the Shropshire Yeomanry (Capt.). He married, 23 April 1912 at St Paul, Knightsbridge (Middx), Verena Henrietta (1890-1974), daughter of Algernon Turnor CB, financial secretary to the General Post Office, and had issue:
(1) Diana Katherine Barneby (1913-87), born 5 May 1913; married 25 January 1944 at Holy Trinity, Sloane St., Chelsea (Middx), Maj. John Harman Glossop Wells (1912-84), of Berkley Grange (Som.), second son of Dr. Wilfrid Wells of Constantine (Cornw.); died 28 August 1987; will proved 28 March 1988 (estate £405,101);
(2) Christopher William Barneby (1915-44), born 19 June 1915; educated at Harrow, Worcester College, Oxford (matriculated 1934; BA 1937) and Slade School of Art; served in army in Second World War (2nd Lt., 1940; Lt., 1942; Capt. 1943); died unmarried and without issue in his father's lifetime, when he was killed on active service in Burma, 18 March 1944; he is commemorated by a monument in Edvin Loach church (Herefs).
He inherited Clater Park and Saltmarshe Castle from his father in 1895. In 1919 he sold the outlying portions of the estate, but the remainder passed at his death to his nephew, Thomas Philip Barneby (1908-72).
He died 23 May 1946; his will was proved 28 January 1947 and 18 April 1948 (estate £152,783). His widow married 2nd, 1 June 1965, Maurice Ashton Nelson (1908-97), solicitor, of Little Ponton House (Lincs), and died 3 August 1974; her will was proved 8 November 1974 (estate £109,014).


Philip Bartholomew Barneby
(1875-1943)
Barneby, Philip Bartholomew (1875-1943). Younger son of William Barneby (1846-95) and his wife Katherine Anne, youngest daughter of William Lutley Sclater of Hoddington House (Hants), born 13 October 1875. Educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1894; BA 1899). JP for Monmouthshire from 1902 and for Herefordshire from 1927. He married, 20 September 1905 at Stretton Sugwas (Herefs.), Louisa Geraldine (1877-1967), daughter of His Honour Robert Wood Ingram of Sugwas Court (Herefs), judge, and had issue:
(1) Edmund Geoffrey Lutley Barneby (1906-21), born 4 June 1906; educated at Harrow; died young when he accidentally hanged himself practising a gymnastic trick, 27 January 1921;
(2) Thomas Philip Barneby (1908-72) (q.v.);
(3) Rupert Charles Barneby (1911-2000), born 6 October 1911; educated at Harrow and Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1930; BA 1932), where he established lifelong friendships with literary figures including W.H. Auden, Christopher Isherwood and Julian Huxley; after leaving university he became a self-taught botanist and emigrated to the United States with his partner, 1937, living initially in California and later in New York state; he became a naturalised American citizen in 1941; attached to New York Botanic Garden from 1959 until shortly before his death (Hon. Curator, 1959-72; Research Assoc., 1973-80; Curator (later Emeritus) of the Institute of Systematic Botany, 1980-98); he named and described over 1,100 new species of plants and was the author of many botanical works and the recipient of several awards, including the Engler Silver Award, 1992; the Millennium Botany Award of the International Botanical Congress, 1999; and an honorary doctorate from City University of New York (DSc, 1978); life partner of Harry Dwight Dillon Ripley (1908-73); died 5 December 2000; buried in Smith Hill Cemetery near Honesdale, Pennsylvania (USA);
(4) Geraldine Katherine Barneby (1915-88), born 4 September 1915; lived at Tanners House, Sherston (Wilts); died unmarried, 4 February 1988; will proved 16 June 1988 (estate £284,603).
He inherited the Oldcastle estate in Monmouthshire from his father in 1895 and lived at Trewin (Monmouths.) until moving to Bartestree (Herefs) about 1920 and later to Sandyway, Weston-under-Penyard (Herefs). His widow lived latterly at Tanners House, Sherston (Wilts).
He died 4 August 1943; his will was proved 30 December 1943 and 25 February 1944 (estate £21,326). His widow died 8 July 1967; her will was proved 23 January 1968 (estate £3,083).

Barneby, Thomas Philip (1908-72). Eldest surviving son of Philip Bartholomew Barneby (1875-1943) and his wife Louisa Geraldine, daughter of His Honour Robert Wood Ingram of Sugwas Court (Herefs), judge, born 28 June 1908. Educated at Harrow and Trinity College, Cambridge. In the 1930s he worked as a cafĂ© proprietor at Alresford (Hants), but he obtained a commission in the army (2nd Lt., 1941; Lt., 1943; retired as Capt., 1946) during the Second World War. High Sheriff of Herefordshire, 1952-53. After selling Saltmarshe Castle he moved to Cornwall to farm. He was a skilled amateur photographer and published European Alpine Flowers in colour (1967). He married, 28 March 1936, Mary Lilian (1913-2006), only daughter of Thomas Phillips of Marazion (Cornw.), and had issue:
(1) David Penrose Barneby (b. 1937), born 17 April 1937; educated at Millfield Sch.; married, 21 October 1967 at Weston, Massachusetts (USA), Pamela, daughter of Dr R.G. Ferris jr. of Boston, Massachusetts, and had issue two sons and one daughter;
(2) Rosemary Theodora Geraldine Barneby (b. 1940), born 24 February 1940; lived at Lanteglos-by-Fowey (Cornw.); proprietor of a hair and beauty salon in Penzance (closed 1986); married, 17 October 1964, Thomas Peter Adam RN (Sub-Lt. 1960; Lt. 1962; Lt-Cdr., 1970; retired 1985), and had issue one daughter;
(3) Rosanna Ruth Barneby (b. 1945), born 17 May 1945; married, 20 March 1965, Geoffrey Clive Howell Shakerley (1935-2013), elder son of Lt-Col. Peter Francis Shakerley OBE RA of Tredudwell Manor, Lanteglos-by-Fowey (Cornw.) and had issue one son and one daughter;
(4) Veryan Jon Barneby (b. 1949), born 19 July 1949; educated at Campbell College, Belfast and Royal Naval College, Dartmouth; an officer in the Royal Navy, 1969-2000 (Sub-Lt. 1972; Lt.; Lt-Cdr. 1981); married, Jul-Sept 1976, Virginia V.C. Marshall (b. 1950), and had issue one son and one daughter.
He inherited Clater Park and Saltmarshe Castle from his uncle, William Theodore Barneby, in 1946, but sold Clater Park in 1950 and Saltmarshe a little later. Saltmarshe was demolished between October 1952 and July 1953: a final demolition sale was held on 17 July 1953. He lived latterly at Duloe (Cornw.) and Rosemerryn, St Buryan (Cornw.).
He died 16 July 1972; administration of his estate was granted 23 October 1972 (value £30,021). His widow died aged 92 on 22 January 2006; her will was proved 3 May 2006.


Barneby family of Longworth Hall



Barneby, (William) Henry (1843-1914). Younger son of John Barneby (1799-1846) and his wife Susan, eldest daughter of John Henry Elwes of Colesbourne (Glos), born 2 February 1843. After the death of his mother in 1850, he was brought up by his uncle, Edmund Higginson of Saltmarshe Castle. An officer in the 58th regiment (Ensign, 1862; Lt., 1864; retired 1864). JP (by 1866) and DL (from 1867) for Herefordshire; High Sheriff of Herefordshire, 1884. On his father's death in 1846, he was bequeathed a trust fund of £10,000, which he received on coming of age in 1864. In 1872, he and his brother shared equally most of the (£140,000) personal fortune of his uncle, Edmund Higginson (1802-71), although not his estate of Saltmarshe Castle. A Conservative in politics, he stood unsuccessfully for Parliament at Hereford in 1885. He was a member of the Bromyard Board of Guardians, and Chairman of the Bromyard Highway Board, and later of Herefordshire County Council Main Roads Committee (from 1890). In 1883, he took himself around the world, visiting the United States, Canada, Japan, China, Ceylon and Egypt, and he later published an account of his journey as The New Far West and the Old Far East (1889); and in 1889 he took his family to Paris for the opening of the World's FairHe married, 8 August 1865 at Coln St. Aldwyn (Glos), Alice Mary (1847-1933), third daughter of Sir Michael Hicks-Beach MP, 8th bt., and had issue:
(1) Susan Alice Barneby (1868-1951), born 11 February and was baptised at Bath Abbey, 19 March 1868; married, 17 September 1895 at Bredenbury, Rev. Herbert Chase Green-Price (1855-1919), rector of Brampton Bryan (Herefs), 1895-1912 and of Pembridge (Herefs), 1913-19; second son of Sir Richard Green-Price, 1st bt., and had issue two sons and one daughter; as a widow lived at Brean (Somerset); died 26 August 1951; will proved 20 November 1951 (estate £928);
(2) Edmund Henry Barneby (b. & d. 1869), born 1 or 5 July and was baptised at Bredenbury, 8 August 1869; died in infancy 17 October 1869 and was buried at Bredenbury;
(3) Margaret Caroline Barneby (1870-1941), born 20 November and baptised at St George, Hanover Square, London, 21 December 1870; lived latterly in Hereford; died unmarried, 9 May 1941; will proved 3 September 1941 (estate £3,725);
(4) Edith Katherine Barneby (1872-1937), born 29 February and baptised at Bredenbury, 21 April 1872; married, 11 January 1906, Rev. Harry Walter Baskerville Mynors (1857-1938), rector of Llanwarne (Herefs), 1896 and Llandinabo (Herefs), 1918, eldest son of Rev. Walter Baskerville Mynors of Llanwarne, but had no issue; died 20 October 1937; administration of goods granted to her husband, 29 April 1938 (effects £103);
(5) Evelyn Mary Barneby (1873-76), born 29 June and baptised at Bredenbury, 17 August 1873; died young, 29 July 1876 and was buried at Bredenbury;
(6) Richard Hicks Barneby (1875-1923) (q.v.);
(7) Edward Arthur Barneby (1878-1957), born in London, 22 February, and baptised at St George, Hanover Sq., London, 11 April 1878; educated at Haileybury and Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1896); emigrated to farm at Longworth Ranch, Okanagan Mission, British Columbia (Canada); married, 12 March 1909 at Vernon, British Columbia, Violette (d. 1969), daughter of Rev. Martin Shipham Munroe, rector of Little Hulton (Lancs), but had no issue; died 16 October 1957 at Chilliwack, British Columbia;
(8) Alice Laura Barneby (1880-1962), born 28 November 1880 and baptised at Bredenbury, 16 January 1881; died unmarried, 8 July 1962; will proved 5 March 1963 (estate £4,677);
(9) Henry Meysey Barneby (1884-1970), born 18 September and baptised at Bredenbury, 2 November 1884; educated at Radley and Camborne School of Mines; mining engineer; Associate of Institute of Mining and Metallurgy; served in First World War with Aeronautical Inspection Dept.; County Councillor for Herefordshire, 1948-61; High Sheriff of Herefordshire, 1956-57; lived at Brockington House, Bredenbury (Herefs.); married, 10 August 1927, Alice Maude JP (1888-1978), daughter of Thomas James of St. Buryan (Cornw.), but had no issue; died 10 November 1970; will proved 9 March and 18 June 1971 (estate £25,584);
(10) Elizabeth Silver Bulkeley Barneby (1890-1970), born 16 July and baptised at Bredenbury, 24 August 1890; died unmarried, 11 April 1970; will proved 5 August 1970 (estate £17,700).
His uncle tried to purchase Longworth Hall for him from the estate of Robert Biddulph Phillips (d. 1864), but was the underbidder. He instead funded William's purchase of Bredenbury Court in 1865. Henry then lived at Bredenbury, which he remodelled to the designs of T.H. Wyatt in 1873. When Longworth came back on the market in 1885, Henry bought it and subsequently divided his time between Bredenbury and Longworth. He eventually let Longworth and rebuilt Brockington Grange at Bredenbury (which his wife had inherited in her own right) before in 1898 selling Bredenbury Court to Francis Greswolde-Williams. He then built The Cottage, Bartestree where he lived until 1901 when he took back Longworth. He subsequently divided his time between Longworth and Brockington Grange. Brockington Grange was sold after his wife's death in 1933. Longworth was let from 1892 to His Honour, Judge Lea. He purchased the Rowden Abbey estate in 1872 but sold it in 1880; the present house there was built by the subsequent owners.
He died 6 July 1914; his will was proved 22 October 1914 (estate £68,774). His widow died 27 January 1933; her will was proved 10 April 1933 (estate £5,108).

Barneby, Richard Hicks (1875-1923). Eldest surviving son of William Henry Barneby (1843-1914) and his wife Alice Mary, third daughter of Sir Michael Hicks-Beach MP, 8th bt., born 16 May 1875. Educated at Eton and Trinity Hall, Cambridge (matriculated 1894). JP and DL for Herefordshire and JP for Pembrokeshire. He married, 26 August 1908 at Brightwalton (Berks), Margaret Elizabeth (1880-1955), daughter of Rev. Henry Frederick Howard, rector of Brightwalton, and had issue:
(1) Lt-Col. Henry Habington Barneby (1909-95) (q.v.);
(2) Richard Paul Barneby (1915-44), born 16 August 1915; educated at Radley College; served in Second World War with Herefordshire Regt. (Capt.); lived at Ivy House, Shawbury (Shrops.); married, 11 June 1938, Vera Margery (who m2, 15 October 1947, Samuel Isidore Freedman, son of Capt. Albert Freedman of London), daughter of Col. Henry Arthur Bromilow of Black Park, Chirk (Denbighs.), and had issue one son and two daughters; died of wounds received in action, 1 July 1944; will proved 26 April 1945 (estate £3,213).
He inherited Longworth Hall from his father in 1914 and seems to have lived there, but it was sold after his death to Sir John Fox Dillon (d. 1925), 8th bt. His widow then lived at The Sheepcote, Longworth.
He died after a long illness, 31 January 1923 and was buried at Bredenbury; his will was proved 14 April 1923 (estate £47,744). His widow died 26 November 1955; her will was proved 6 March 1956 (estate £2,056).

Barneby, Lt-Col. Henry Habington (1909-95). Elder son of Richard Hicks Barneby (1875-1923) and his wife Margaret Elizabeth, daughter of the Rev. Henry Frederick Howard, rector of Brightwalton (Berks), born 19 June 1909. Educated at Radley College and Royal Military College, Sandhurst. An officer in the King's Shropshire Light Infantry, 1929-35, 1937-55 (2nd Lt, 1929; Lt., 1932; Capt., 1938; Maj., 1947; retired as Lt-Col. 1955). JP (from 1960) for Herefordshire; DL for Herefordshire and for Hereford & Worcester, 1958-84 (Vice-Lieutenant from 1973); High Sheriff of Herefordshire, 1972-73. He married 1st, 10 February 1935 (div. 1942), Evelyn Georgina (1912-96?), elder daughter of Lt-Col. George Basil Heywood of Caradoc Court, Ross-on-Wye (Herefs), 2nd, 30 November 1944, Angela Margaret (1910-79), nurse, daughter of Capt. William Finlay Campbell of Harewood Park (Herefs), and 3rd, 11 November 1991, Patricia Thornton (d. 2009), and had issue:
(1.1) Richard Henry Heywood Barneby (b. 1937), born 29 May 1937; educated at Radley College; an officer in the army (2nd Lt., 1958; Lt., 1959; retired 1964); lived in St Peter Port, Guernsey (Channel Islands), where he served in several elected public offices, including senior Constable and Procureur of the Poor; married, 6 December 1966, Jane (b. 1945), daughter of Morris John Read of Hereford, and had issue one son and one daughter;
(2.1) William Henry Barneby (1945-2009), born 4 September 1945; educated at Radley and Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst; an officer in the army (Lt., 1968; Maj. 1979); married, 7 March 1970, Jill Geraldine (b. 1948), daughter of Maj-Gen. Gerald Arthur Pilleau CBE of The Bridge House, Mordiford (Herefs.); died 9 January 2009; will proved 27 May 2009;
(2.2) Edward Henry Barneby (b. 1948), born 20 January 1948; educated at Tabley House Sch.; lived at Glyndyfrdwy (Denbighs.); married, 1985, Wendy Morris (b. 1950?), but had no issue;
(2.3) John Henry Barneby (b. 1949), born 29 July 1949; educated at Radley and Christ Church, Oxford; commodity broker with Czarnikov Ltd, 1971-2013 (Chairman and Chief Executive from 1991); trustee of Vale House Oxford from 2013 and of the Holburne Museum, Bath since 2014; lived at Longcot (Oxon); married, Oct-Dec 1978, Alison Sophie (b. 1951), daughter of Lt-Col. Alan David Donger of Church Mead, Sparsholt (Hants) and had issue one son and two daughters;
(2.4) Charles Henry Barneby (b. & d. 1951), born 18 March 1951 but died in infancy, 18 August 1951.
He also adopted a daughter:
(A1) Judith Margaret Barneby (b. 1951), born 16 September 1951; living in 1972.
He lived in Jamaica, 1951-54, but after returning to England he lived at The Cottage, Bartestree, until 1964 when he bought Llanerch-y-Coed, Dorstone (Herefs), where he lived until his death.
He died 27 April 1995; his will was proved 17 August 1995 (estate £491,710). His first wife married 2nd, a Dutchman, Maurits Gerard Smalt (b. 1906) in 1949, having previously taken the surname Smalt by deed poll in 1944; she married 3rd, 1961, Ronald C. Hunt, and was perhaps the Evelyn Hunt who died 26 December 1996, and whose will was proved 4 February 1997. His second wife died 7 March 1979; her will was proved 3 September 1979 (estate £67,185). His third wife died 8 September 2009.


Principal sources


Burke's Landed Gentry, 1972, pp. 44-45; Worcestershire Chronicle, 15 August 1849; P. Williams, Bromyard: minster, manor and town, 1987; M. Hall, 'Brockhampton, Herefordshire', Country Life, 4 January 1990, pp. 46-52; J. Lees-Milne, People and Places, 1992, pp. 19-27; J. Ionides, Thomas Farnolls Pritchard of Shrewsbury, 1999, pp. 98-101; D. Whitehead, A survey of historic parks and gardens in Herefordshire, 2001, pp. 63-64; M.P. Siddons, The visitation of Herefordshire 1634, Harleian Soc., 2002, pp. 26-27; R. Lello & D. Williams, Lower Brockhampton: A Survey of the Moated Site Complex,Bromyard, Herefordshire, 2010; A. Brooks & Sir N. Pevsner, The buildings of England: Herefordshire, 2nd edn., 2012, pp. 123-24, 135-37, 152, 494;
https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA141604


Location of archives


Barneby family of Longworth: deeds, estate and family papers, 18th-20th cents [Herefordshire Archive & Records Centre, F99, AN43, AB71]

The records of other branches of the family are understood to have been destroyed in the 20th century.


Coat of arms


Quarterly, 1st and 4th, sable, a lion passant guardant between three escallops argent; 2nd and 3rd, or and azure quarterly, four lions rampant counter-changed.


Can you help?


  • Can anyone supply a plan of Saltmarshe Castle before its demolition, or any further information about the first phase of its construction, probably c.1830?
  • Can anyone explain the precise relationship between William Higginson (d. 1812) and Edmund Barneby (1802-71), who was his heir and is supposed to have been his maternal great-nephew? [For the answer, see the Comment below by 'Gawin']
  • I should be most grateful if anyone can provide photographs or portraits of people whose names appear in bold above, and who are not already illustrated.
  • As always, any additions or corrections to the account given above will be gratefully received and incorporated.


Revision and acknowledgements

This post was first published 27 November 2019 and was updated 6 February 2020. I am most grateful to John Barneby for additional information and corrections.

7 comments:

  1. Fascinating. I did some work for the National Trust on Brockhampton's landscape a couple of years back.... wish this comprehensive article had been available then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In reference to your question regarding the precise relationship between William Higginson (d. 1812) and Edmund Barneby (1802-71): Edmund Barneby's maternal grandmother Lydia (Higginson) Bulkeley was William Higginson's sister.

    ````````````````

    WILLIAM HIGGINSON

    The will of William Higginson (then of Berners street, parish of St. Marylebone, co. Middx.) names his brother Robert Higginson; his niece Elizabeth Bulkelely wife of John Barneby of Brokampton, co. Hereford; and the latter's children Elizabeth, John, Wiliam, and Edmund. He also mentions a copyhold he recently purchased from Robert Higginson and Lydia Bulkeley, widow.

    PROB 11/1534/344 (dated 15 Aug 1805, codicils 8 May 1806 & 28 March 1810, proved 22 June 1812).

    According to his death notice William Higginson of Saltmarsh died at Worcester on 6 June 1812 (Hereford Journal, 10 June 1812, p. 3, col. 4).

    Hereford Burial transcriptions available in Findmypast state William Higginson was buried 13 June 1812 at Brockhampton near Bromyard.

    ````````````

    ROBERT HIGGINSON

    The will of Robert Higginson (then of Buckenhill in the parish of Bromyard, co. Hereford) mentions his niece Elizabeth Barneby; her deceased husband John Barneby; their second son William Barneby; his late sister Lydia Bulkeley; his late brother William Higginson; and his late uncle Thomas Higginson (who had bequeathed an estate in Shropshire to William).

    PROB 11/1758/233 (dated 29 December 1824, proved 28 July 1829).

    According to the National Burial Index (Findmypast) Robert Higginson was buried at Brockhampton near Bromyard, Herefordshire 19 May 1829 age 89.

    `````````````````

    LYDIA BULKELEY

    Lydia Higginson married Robert Bulkeley of St. Albans, Wood Street, London on 1 December 1768 at Bushey, Herts (parish register images available in Findmypast).

    Elizabeth, daughter of Robert & Lydia Bulkeley, was born 17 September 1769 and baptized 11 October at St. Albans, Wood Street, London (digital image of parish register in Ancestry.com)

    The will of Lydia Bulkeley, widow (of Burkenhill, parish of Bromyard,co. Hereford, late of Uxbridge, co. Middx) names her daughter Elizabeth Barnaby; brother Robert Higginson; brother William Higginson; and son-in-law James Barnaby of Brockhampton.

    PROB 11/1532/451 (dated 24 September 1806, codicil 31 January 1812, proved 28 April 1812).

    Hereford Burial transcriptions available in Findmypast state Lydia Bulkeley was buried 5 April 1812 at Brockhampton near Bromyard.

    I also located two death notices:

    Hereford Journal, 1 April 1812, p. 3, col. 5: On Thursda died, at Buckenhill, in this County, Mrs. Bulkeley.

    The Northampton Mercury, 18 April 1812, p. 3, col. 5: DIED: Lately, at Buckeshill, Herts, Mrs. Bulkeley, aged 69.

    ```````````

    ROBERT BULKELEY

    The will of Robert Bulkeley, of the parish of Lambeth, co. Surrey, Gentleman, mentions his wife Mrs Lydia Bulkeley; daughter Elizabeth; aunt Hannah Whitfield; father Thomas Bulkeley of Bulkeley co. Chester.

    PROB 11/1159/256 (dated 4 March 1785 proved 12 Dec 1787).

    He may have been the Robert Bulkeley Esq "from or near London" buried at St. Michael, Chester 19 Dec 1787 (digital image of parish register in Findmypast).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Interesting , I am David Penrose Barneby elder son of Thomas Philip Barneby .We lived for a while at Saltmarshe Castle , which my father inherited as eldest male heir to the entailed estate . My father was not a rich man and no money came with the estate , some 20 farms , farm buildings and umteen cottages were all in need of urgent repair , hence the eventual and tragic sale . I have seen a plan of Saltmarshe Castle , my brother might still have it among ancient deeds . I have also seen a water colour painding of the house the castle replaced , it was quite a substantial brick and timber house , probably contemporary with the brick and timber tythe barn which I believe is still standing . I am fairly well informed genealogically and everything correct , but I have some doubts about other details . I used to have catalogues of the paintings at Saltmarshe , now with my son , which if I recall correctly were purchase in the 1820s and sold in the 1840s . Edmund Higginson was terrified of fire , the picture gallery only had one entrance with a very heavy inner steel door . I have always understood that it was completed by 1835 , but the gallery must have been there earlier to house the fabulous collection of paintings .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both the plan and the painting of the predecessor house would be of great interest, if your brother still has them. If the picture gallery was complete by 1835, it must have been in the earlier part of the house, and not, as I suggest above, in the second phase of work. A plan would help to make that clear.

      Delete
  4. You might be interested to see the catalogue of paintings that Edmond Higginson bought in Paris that hung in the Saltmarshe Gallery . I have understood that they were from the disperal of the Boursault collection , though some may have been from other sources . The Haywain was purchased later from an exhibition at the Paris Conservatoire .
    https://books.google.co.th/books?id=hTFcAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA8&lpg=PA8&dq=Edmund+Higinson+bought+an+old+master+collection+of+paintings&source=bl&ots=a8whw6kGgJ&sig=ACfU3U0u9uN3vMxvhQf-a1mTyHGYYmbzQg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjJoo78rs7nAhVwyzgGHUPWBRMQ6AEwDHoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=Edmund%20Higinson%20bought%20an%20old%20master%20collection%20of%20paintings&f=false
    The only door to the gallery was about where the painting of the horse is seen , the door at the end and fireplace were added later . The was a wooden door on the passage side , then a very heavy steel door and perhaps another wooden door inside .

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you have any additional information or corrections to offer, or if you are able to help with additional images of the people or buildings in this post.