|Bedell of Hamerton|
Hamerton Manor House, Huntingdonshire
Bedell family of Hamerton
(1.1) Sir John Bedell (c.1536-1613), kt. (q.v.);(1.2) William Bedell (d. 1612) of Catworth; married 1st, Bridget Power of Northamptonshire, and had issue four sons and six daughters, from whom descended the Bedells of Oundle (Northants); married 2nd, by 1583, Elizabeth (fl. 1612), daughter of Nicholas Welle (d. 1587) of Molesworth (Hunts) and probably had further issue; died in June 1612 and was buried at Catworth; will proved 6 July 1612;(1.3) Joan Bedell (fl. 1570); married, by 1565, Nicholas Calton (d. 1575) of Needingworth (Hunts), and had issue; living in 1570 when she was mentioned in her father's will;(1.4) Elizabeth Bedell (fl. 1570); living, unmarried, in 1570, when she was mentioned in her father's will.
(1) Sir Thomas Bedell (c.1578-1613), kt. (q.v.);(2) Henry Bedell (fl. 1613); living in 1613, when he was mentioned in his father's will;(3) John Bedell (d. 1660); perhaps a Russia merchant in London, who appointed the Russian emigré, Rev. Mikipher Alphery, as rector of Woolley (Hunts) in 1618; died unmarried and without issue, and was buried at Hamerton, 19 December 1660; will proved 3 January 1660/1;(4) Frances Bedell (fl. 1613); living in 1613, when she was mentioned in her father's will;(5) Bridget Bedell (d. by 1639); married, by 1598, George Catesby (1575-1645) of Ecton (Northants) (who married 2nd, 27 June 1639 at Hardwick (Northants), Margery Stevens of Hardwick), son of Thomas Catesby (d. 1592), and had issue four sons and five daughters; died in or before 1639;(6) Dorothy Bedell (d. 1633); married, by 1602, Sir Seymour Knightley (1580-1640) of Norton (Northants) and Stoke (Warks), and had issue four sons and six daughters; buried at Stoke, 22 January 1633.
(1) Sir Capel Bedell (1602-43), 1st bt. (q.v.).
(1) Elizabeth Bedell (1620-63), baptised at Ware, 10 September 1620; married, about 1650, Lt-Col. Sir Francis Compton (c.1629-1716) (who married 2nd, June 1664, Jane (d. 1677), daughter of Sir John Trevor and widow of Sir Arthur Elmes of Lilford (Northants); 3rd, Mary, daughter of Samuel Fortrey of Kew (Surrey) and widow of Sir Thomas Trevor, 1st bt. of Enfield (Middx) and Leamington (Warks); and 4th, August 1699, Mary Rowe), MP for Warwick, 1664-79, fifth son of Spencer Compton, 2nd Earl of Northampton, but had no issue; buried at Hamerton, 4 July 1663;(2) Mary Bedell (d. 1683); married, 2 January 1654/5, Sir Thomas Leventhorpe (1635-79), 4th bt. of Blakesware Hall (Herts), and had issue one daughter; died in London, 30 April and was buried at Sawbridgeworth (Herts), 2 May 1683;(3) John Bedell (b. 1628), baptised at Ware, 20 January 1628/9; died young.
Location of archives
Coat of arms
Can you help?
- Can anyone provide portraits of the people whose names appear in bold above, for whom no image is currently shown?
- If anyone can offer further information or corrections to any part of this article I should be most grateful. I am always particularly pleased to hear from current owners or the descendants of families associated with a property who can supply information from their own research or personal knowledge for inclusion.