|Baskerville of Richardson|
|Poulton House, Malmesbury|
Richardson, Winterbourne Bassett, Wiltshire
Baskerville of Richardson, Winterbourne Bassett
(1) William Baskerville (d. 1604) of Wanborough (Wilts); subscribed towards the defence of England at the time of the Spanish Armada, 1588; married Jennifer Hutchins (d. 1615) and had issue one son (who died in infancy) and two daughters; died 29 September 1604 and was buried at Winterbourne Bassett; will proved in the PCC, 22 June 1605;(2) Thomas Baskerville; married and had issue one son (who died without issue);(3) George Baskerville (fl. 1573-78) (q.v.).
(1) Simon Baskerville (b. 1573), baptised 25 August 1573; went to sea about 1588 and died without issue;(2) Thomas Baskerville (1575-1621) (q.v.);(3) Anne Baskerville (1578-c.1644), baptised at Tewkesbury, 25 September 1578; married, 18 May 1601 at St Clement Danes, London, Edward Holmes (d. by 1620); died about 1644.
(1) Jenever [Jennifer] Baskerville (c.1600-39); married, about January 1617/8, John Grubbe (c.1590-1649) of Potterne (Wilts), and had issue at least three sons and one daughter; buried at Potterne, 9 August 1639;(2) Catherine Baskerville (fl. 1622); married, 17 December 1622 at Potterne, Henry Grubbe (d.1630) of Devizes (Wilts), but had no issue;(3) Thomas Baskerville; died young in the lifetime of his father;(4) William Baskerville; died young in the lifetime of his father;(5) Mary Baskerville; married William Riven.(6) Francis Baskerville (b. 1615) (q.v.);(7) Elizabeth Baskerville (d. 1650); under 18 in 1620; married, 1633 (bond 19 February), John Lambe (b. c.1611), son of Sir John Lambe (d. 1665) of Stourton (Wilts); buried at Stourton, 31 May 1650;(8) Anne Baskerville (d. 1681); under 18 in 1620; married John Polwhele MP (1606-77) of Polwhele and Treworgan Manor, St. Erme (Cornw), son of Thomas Polwhele of Polwhele, and had issue six sons and three daughters; will proved 1681.
(1) Walter Baskerville (b. 1636), born and baptised 1 November 1636; educated at Lincoln's Inn (admitted 1653/4); died without issue in the lifetime of his father and was buried at Winterbourne Bassett;(2) Thomas Baskerville (c.1640-1717) (q.v.);(3) Francis Baskerville (c.1646-1723) of Little Somerford (Wilts); married, before 1693, Mary [surname unknown] (c.1654-1709) and had issue two sons and three daughters; buried at Little Somerford, 4 July 1723;(4) John Baskerville (fl. 1690);(5) Winifred Baskerville (d. 1708); married, 16 September 1675 at Devizes, Alexander Ker (fl. 1708) and had issue; buried at Hungerford, 27 April 1708;(6) Mary Baskerville (fl. 1690);(7) Elizabeth Baskerville (fl. 1690);(8) A daughter; died before 1690.
(1) John Baskerville; mentioned on his father's monument; probably died young before 1679;(2) Richard Baskerville (1665-1739) (q.v.);(3) Francis Baskerville (b. 1668), baptised at Winterbourne Bassett, 25 September 1668;(4) Walter Baskerville (1670-73), baptised at Winterbourne Bassett, 10 April 1670; died young and was buried at Winterbourne Bassett, 20 August 1673;(5) Thomas Baskerville; died in infancy;(6) Thomas Baskerville;(7) Septimus Baskerville (1673-76), baptised at Winterbourne Bassett, 25 June 1673; died young and was buried at Winterbourne Bassett, 27 February 1675/6;(8) Simon Baskerville (b. 1675), baptised at Winterbourne Bassett, 1 April 1675; lived at Trowbridge; married, 31 July 1705 at Upton Noble (Som,), Elizabeth Broadrip, and had issue one son; died before 1723;(9) William Baskerville (1678-1754), possibly to be identified with the unnamed child of these parents born 23 January and baptised at Winterbourne Bassett, 8 February 1677/8; married, 1699 (bond 27 March), Elizabeth (1681-1751), daughter of Edward Tapp of Marlborough (Wilts), and had issue two sons and five daughters; buried at Berwick Bassett (Wilts), 30 December 1754; his will was proved at Salisbury, 6 July 1768;(10) John Baskerville (1679-1761), baptised at Marlborough, 18 November 1679; clothier in Salisbury; married 1st, 23 June 1709 at St Edmund, Salisbury, Mary Harris (1686?-1731), but apparently had no issue; married 2nd, 13 August 1750 at St Edmund, Salisbury, Hannah Whitehart (1715-89), but again had no issue; buried at St Edmund, Salisbury, 13 February 1761; will proved 8 April 1761;(11) George Baskerville (1681-1755), baptised at Winterbourne Bassett 2 December 1681; youngest surviving son in 1723; married, c.1703, Elizabeth [surname unknown] and had issue six sons and three daughters; died 20 May 1755;(12) Walter Baskerville (b. 1684), baptised at Winterbourne Basset, 4 September 1684; probably died young and certainly before 1723.
(1) Thomas Baskerville (c.1700-59) (q.v.);(2) Meliora Baskerville (1701-73), baptised at Clyffe Pypard (Wilts), 10 December 1701; married, 1726 (settlement 23 August), Thomas Baskerville (d. 1740) of Aberedw Court, and had issue one son and two daughters; buried at Aberedw, 14 February 1773; administration of goods granted at Brecon, 1775;(3) Jane Baskerville (d. c.1755); married, after 1731, Thomas Reading (1709-93) of Salisbury (Wilts), solicitor, but died without issue between 1752 and 1758;(4) Walter Baskerville; died in infancy and is mentioned on his father's monument;(5) Richard Baskerville; died in infancy and is mentioned on his father's monument.
(1.1) Hannibal Baskerville (1724-59?), baptised at St Edmund, Salisbury, 27 May 1724; married, 1749 in Horsham (Sussex), Lydia, and was buried at Horsham, 24 February 1759;(1.2) John Baskerville (fl. 1761); living in 1761;(2.1) Meliora Baskerville (1733-73), baptised at Winterbourne Bassett, 30 April 1733; lived in Marlborough (Wilts); died unmarried and was buried at Winterbourne Bassett, 17 February 1773;(2.2) Lt-Col. Thomas Baskerville (1735-1817) (q.v.).
(X1) John Peck;(X2) Sophia Peck.
Location of archives
Coat of arms
Can you help?
- Can anyone supply an image of the house at Richardson before it was pulled down in the late 18th or early 19th century?
- Does anyone know what happened to John and Sophia Peck, the illegitimate children of Thomas Baskerville and Ann Peck?
- I should be most grateful if anyone can provide photographs or portraits of people whose names appear in bold above, and who are not already illustrated.
- Any additions or corrections to the account given above will be gratefully received and incorporated.