Sunday, 7 June 2020

(420) Harold-Barry of Ballyvonare House and Ballyellis House

Harold-Barry of Ballyvonare
This branch of the extensive and consistently Roman Catholic Barry family have probably held lands near Buttevant  since medieval times, but I have been unable to trace their lineage with any certainty further back than John Barry (d. 1793), who lived at Ballyvonare in the late 18th century and may have built the present house there. At his death in 1793 he left an only daughter and heiress, Mary (fl. 1788-1824), who married in 1788 Richard Harold of Limerick, whose family claimed Viking origins and was certainly prominent in Limerick and before that in County Dublin over several centuries. John Barry left his estate to Richard and Mary's second son, John (c.1790-1867), on condition that he took the additional name Barry, which he did on coming of age in 1811. During his long minority, Richard and Mary occupied the house, but when John Harold-Barry came of age and came into his inheritance they moved out. John married twice but had children only by his short-lived first wife, and of these only one survived infancy. This was John Harold-Barry (1823-98), to whom the elder John seems to have handed over the estate soon after his marriage in 1860, retiring to a slightly smaller house called Castle View at Buttevant, which he may have rented from the Croft family.

The younger John Harold-Barry had fourteen children, of whom only eleven survived infancy, while two more of his sons died unmarried in early manhood while serving as soldiers. The boys were all educated at Catholic boarding schools in England, establishing a family tradition. In about 1875 he bought Ballyellis House from the Langley family and a few years later he inherited the lease of lands adjoining it from Barry cousins who had held them from the Doneraile Court estate since the 18th century; he later bought the freehold of these lands to consolidate and secure the property as part of the estate. When he died in 1898, he left Ballyvonare to his eldest surviving son, Harold Philip Harold-Barry (1865-1944). His second surviving son, Edward Daniel Harold-Barry (1872-1950) having become a Catholic priest, Ballyellis was left to the next eldest surviving son, Philip James Harold-Barry (1874-1940), who lived at Ballyellis until his death but never married.

Harold Philip Harold-Barry (1865-1944) was married in 1895 and over the next fourteen years he and his wife produced four sons and four daughters. His eldest son was killed in the First World War, in which his second son, Charles William Harold-Barry (1897-1986) also fought. Although wounded in a valiant action for which he was awareded the Military Cross, Charles survived the war and was the eventual heir to Ballyvonare. The two younger sons were too young for the war. Basil Harold-Barry (1901-92) went first to Canada, where he worked as a cowboy and lumberjack for several years, but with the Great Depression the jobs dried up and he decided to try rubber planting in Sumatra instead. He married in Malaya in 1933, but his wife found the climate in Indonesia intolerable so he returned to Ireland to farm, eventually settling at Drangan (Co. Tipperary).
Creagh House, Skibbereen
The youngest of the four sons, Peter Harold-Barry (1909-94) settled at Creagh House, Skibbereen, where he and his wife made a remarkable garden and formed a fine collection of Irish art and antiques. Of the four sisters, one died in infancy, but the other three lived together at Ballyellis, which they seem to have inherited on the death of their uncle Philip Harold-Barry in 1940. In the same year, the youngest sister, Aileen Harold-Barry (1908-2006) married, and she and her husband, Capt. John Esmonde RN (1907-83) brought up their family at Ballyellis, which is now the home of their eldest son, Peter Esmonde (b. 1945), an international charity and development worker.

In 1944 Charles Harold-Barry (1897-1986) inherited Ballyvonare, where he lived until his death in 1986. Having no children to inherit the property, in 1973 he made a lifetime gift of it for tax reasons to his brother Basil's son, Robin Harold-Barry (b. 1934), a civil engineer living in England. Since Robin's elder son, Charles (b. 1964) showed an early passion for farming and the estate, it was agreed that he would take over Ballyvonare House and its land on his great-uncle's death, and Robin conveyed the estate to him in two parts, in 1986 and 1999. Charles married in 2004 and since then he and his wife have made considerable progress with the restoration of the house, which was in poor condition when he inherited it.

Finally, in 1968, Basil's younger brother, John Harold-Barry (b. 1936), purchased Cordangan Manor near Tipperary with around a hundred acres. This property, which was once the agent's house for the very large estate of the Smith-Barry family, has now been passed on to John's son, Mark Harold-Barry (b. 1967), who farms it organically.

Ballyvonare House (also known as Ballinavonear House), Buttevant, Co. Cork

Ballyvonare House: entrance front in 2014.
A handsome five-bay three-storey house, usually said to have been built around 1750, but perhaps likely to be fifteen or twenty years later than that on stylistic grounds. It has roughcast walls, a hipped slate roof, and a stone eaves cornice and quoins. In the centre is a chunky Gibbsian doorcase with narrow sidelights (now blocked) and a fanlight. The sash windows on the ground and first floors of the front elevation lost their original glazing bars in the 19th century when the fashion for plate glass began, but happily these have recently been restored. Set above the front door is an armorial plaque which is said to come from the Harold family's house called Pennywell at Limerick. At the rear is a two-storey service wing built over a basement, as well as a more recent single-storey extension. The principal rooms have enriched plaster cornices with cast mouldings applied to the surface of the cornice, a detail which supports a slightly later date for the house than is normally given. The drawing room of the house was used as a set for some scenes in the film The Wind that Shakes the Barley (2006). 

Descent: John Barry (d. 1793); to grandson, John Harold (later Harold-Barry) (c.1790-1867); to son, John Harold-Barry (1823-98); to son, Harold Philip Harold-Barry (1865-1944); to son, Charles William Harold-Barry (1897-1986); given 1973 to nephew, Harold Robin Harold-Barry (b. 1934); given 1986 to son, Charles Anthony Harold-Barry (b. 1964).

Ballyellis, Buttevant, Co. Cork


Ballyellis House: entrance front of 1807. Image: National Inventory of Architectural Heritage.

A well-preserved five bay late Georgian house of two storeys over a basement, built in 1807 for Henry Langley. The house has rendered walls and chimneystacks and preserves its sliding sash windows with their original glazing bars. The entrance front has a round-headed doorcase with engaged limestone columns and a fanlight, and above it is a plaque with the arms of the Harold-Barry family. At the rear of the hall an archway opens onto the staircase, which is lit by a round-headed sash window in the rear wall. On the rear elevation, the staircase projection is now flanked by symmetrical two-bay two-storey additions of 1905-06, made for Philip Harold-Barry, one of which has a canted bay window on its side elevation. Inside, the principal rooms have simple early 19th century plasterwork. A new stable block was also built in 1905-06.

Descent: built 1807 for Henry Langley (d. 1829); to son, Christopher Langley who sold to his brother Henry Langley (d. 1874); sold to John Harold-Barry (1823-98), who also bought the freehold of some adjacent lands formerly occupied by Barry cousins and leased from the Doneraile Court estate; to son, Philip Harold-Barry (1875-1940); to niece, Aileen Mary Harold-Barry (1908-2006), wife of Capt. John William Esmonde; to son, Peter Esmonde (b. 1945).

Cordangan Manor, Co. Tipperary

Cordangan Manor: the entrance front and side elevation. (Image: National Inventory of Architectural Heritage)

The house consists of a rendered two-storey five-bay centre with projecting two-storey two-bay wings on each side. It was apparently built about 1840 for the Cooke family (who were tenants of the Smith-Barrys) and later functioned as the home of the Smith-Barry's agents. The windows are still rectangular double-hung sashes, which may always have had plate glass in them. The generally late Georgian appearance of the house is challenged by the steep pitch of the roof and the gabled dormers of the central block, which may be due to a remodelling of c.1860 or later. Behind the north wing is a long single-storey addition, perhaps of the same date. The Smith-Barrys were unpopular landlords, and when Sir Leopold Cust (agent 1857-78) died in 1878 there were celebrations across the estate with bonfires and the Tipperary Brass Band 'playing airs of a rejoiceful character'. The Smith-Barrys sold the property to the Land Commission after an incident in 1928 when shots were fired into the house. It was sold by the Commission with 99 acres in 1930 and passed into the ownership of the Harold-Barry family in 1968.

Descent: sold to Land Commission, which sold 1930 to John Carroll-Pearse (d. 1967); sold 1968 to John Francis Joseph Harold-Barry (b. 1936); given to son, Mark Harold-Barry.


Harold-Barry family of Ballyvonare and Ballyellis


Barry, John (d. 1793). He married and had issue, perhaps with other children who died young:
(1) Mary Barry (fl. 1788-1824) (q.v.).
He inherited Ballyvonare and perhaps rebuilt the house. At his death he left it to his grandson, John Harold, on condition that he took the additional name Barry.
His will was written in 1792 and proved in 1793.

Barry, Mary (fl. 1788-1824). Only child and heiress of John Barry (d. 1793). She married, October 1788, Richard Harold (fl. 1814) of Singland and Pennywell (Co. Limerick), brewer and an officer in the Doneraile Yeomanry, son of Richard Harold (d. 1768) of Pennywell, brewer and tanner, and had issue, possibly among others:
(1) Daniel Harold (fl. 1860), who inherited Pennywell;
(2) John Harold (later Harold-Barry) (c.1790-1867) (q.v.);
(3) Jane Harold (d. 1866); died 24 October 1866;
(4) Edward Harold (c.1801-84); died 12 January 1884.
She and her husband lived at Ballyvonare from about 1793 until 1811.
She was living in 1824 but probably died soon afterwards. Her husband was living in 1814.

Harold (later Harold-Barry), John (c.1790-1867). Second son of Richard Harold (fl. 1814) and his wife Mary, daughter of John Barry of Ballyvonare, born about 1790. He assumed the additional name of Barry on coming of age and inheriting Ballyvonare from his maternal grandfather in 1811. It is said that during the Famine in the 1840s he employed over 300 people on relief works around the estate. He married 1st, 1 October 1822 at Ballyhay (Co. Cork), Eliza (d. 1826), elder daughter of Henry Harrison of Castle Harrison (Co. Cork), and 2nd, 15 November 1843 at Ballinastragh (Co. Wexford), Margaret Cecilia (d. 1878), only daughter of Dr. John Esmonde MD and widow of Peter Warren Locke (c.1769-1833) of Athgoe Park (Co. Dublin), and had issue:
(1.1) John Harold-Barry (1823-98) (q.v.);
(1.2) Richard Harold-Barry; died young;
(1.3) Henry Harold-Barry; died young;
(1.4) Margaret Harold-Barry; died young.
He inherited Ballyvonare from his maternal grandfather in about 1794 and came into possession on coming of age in 1811.
He died at Castle View, Buttevant (Co. Cork), 30 July 1867; administration of his goods was granted to his son, 31 January 1868 (effects under £1,500). His first wife died 17 March 1826. His widow became an honorary canoness of the Order of St. Anne of Bavaria and died without issue, 25 December 1878.

Harold-Barry, John (1823-98). Only surviving child of John Harold (later Harold-Barry) (c.1790-1867), and his first wife Eliza, elder daughter of Henry Harrison of Castle Harrison (Co. Cork), born August 1823. JP and DL for Co. Cork; High Sheriff of Co. Cork, 1880-81. He was a keen hunting man and was Joint-Master of the Duhallow Hounds, 1863-69. He married, 29 October 1860 in Dublin, Margaret Josephine (1840-1922), daughter of William Gibson of Roebuck (Co. Dublin) and Belvedere Place, Dublin, and had issue:
(1) Marcella Josephine Mary Harold-Barry (1861-1954), born in Dublin, 11 October, and baptised at Westland Row RC chapel, Dublin, 17 October 1861; married, 14 December 1882, Garrett Thomas Nagle JP (1855-1937) of Clogher (Co. Cork) and had issue; died aged 92 in Chelsea (Middx), Jul-Sept 1954;
(2) John Harold-Barry (1863-64), born 19 July and baptised at Doneraile, 23 July 1863; died in infancy, Jan-Mar 1864;
(3) Eliza Harold-Barry (1864-1958), born at Ballyvonare, 17 October and baptised at Doneraile, 21 October 1864; a nun; died unmarried aged 94 on 21 October 1958;
(4) Harold Philip Harold-Barry (1865-1944) (q.v.);
(5) Margaret Josephine Harold-Barry (1866-1950), born 6 December and baptised at Doneraile, 11 December 1866; a nun at St Mary's Convent, Wanstead (Essex); died 14 March 1950;
(6) Anne Mary Harold-Barry (1868-1952), born 2 September and baptised at Doneraile, 7 September 1868; married, 1888, Thomas Joseph Carroll-Leahy JP (1850-1919) of Woodfort, Mallow (Co. Cork) and had issue; died 16 July 1952; will proved 23 December 1952 (estate £424);
(7) William John Harold-Barry (1869-96), born 8 September 1869; served with Royal Munster Fusiliers and South African police force, and died at Krugersdorp (South Africa), 2 February 1896, from wounds received in action during the Jameson Raid;
(8) Richard Harold-Barry (b. & d. 1871), born 8 January 1871; died in infancy, 1 August 1871;
(9) Fr. Edward Daniel* Harold-Barry (1872-1950), born 31 August 1872; educated at Woburn College (later St George's College), Addlestone (Surrey); an RC priest (ordained 1907), later on staff of St George's College (bursar, 1922-38; novice master, 1938-45); died unmarried, 3 January 1950, and was buried at Addlestone Cemetery (Surrey);
(10) Philip James Harold-Barry (1874-1940) of Ballyellis, born 14 March 1874; educated at Woburn College (later St George's College), Addlestone (Surrey); farmer; died unmarried, 26 July 1940;
(11) Henry Alan Harold-Barry (1876-1952), born 10 April 1876; educated at Woburn College (later St George's College), Addlestone (Surrey); bank clerk; married, 7 September 1915 at Mount Mellory RC chapel, Cappoquin (Co. Waterford), Marion (d. c.1949), daughter of John J. Russell  of Cashel, bank manager, but had no issue; died 20 July 1952; administration of goods granted 14 November 1952 (effects £54);
(12) Isabella Mary Harold-Barry (1877-1967), born 15 September and baptised at Doneraile, 23 September 1877; married, 1913, Col. Robert Henry Haseldine DSO OBE (1879-1955), son of Robert Parker Haseldine of Wellingborough (Northants), and had issue two daughters; died 18 May 1967;
(13) Thomas Stephen Harold-Barry (1879-80), born 26 December 1879; died in infancy, 21 January 1880;
(14) John Harold-Barry (1883-1915), born 3 August 1883; an officer in Royal Dublin Fusiliers (Lt., 1902; Capt., 1910); unmarried when he was wounded and missing presumed killed in action in France, 24 May 1915; administration of goods (with will annexed) granted to his mother, 11 April 1917 (estate £2,057).
He inherited Ballyvonare from his father in 1867.
He died 5 May 1898; his will was proved 7 July 1898 (effects £8,512). His widow died 15 August 1922; her will was proved in Cork and sealed in London, 25 April 1923 (estate in England, £286).
* Some sources give his second forename as Edmond.

Harold-Barry, Harold Philip (1865-1944), Second but eldest surviving son of John Harold-Barry (1823-98) and his wife Margaret Josephine, daughter of William Gibson of Roebuck (Co. Dublin) and Belvedere Place, Dublin, born 19 November and baptised at Doneraile (Co. Cork), 23 November 1865. Educated at Prior Park School, Bath (Som.). He married, 30 April 1895, Helen Frances Mary (1865-1958), second daughter of John Gerard Riddell of Hermeston Hall and Hodsock Park (Notts), and had issue:
(1) (John) Gerard Harold-Barry (1896-1916), born 28 January 1896; educated at St. George's College, Weybridge (Surrey); an officer in Royal Munster Fusiliers (2nd Lt., 1914); died unmarried when he was killed in action in France, 7 July 1916;
(2) Charles William Harold-Barry (1897-1986) (q.v.);
(3) Hilda Mary Philomena Harold-Barry (b. 1900), born 25 May 1900; educated at New Hall School, Boreham (Essex); living, unmarried, at Ballyellis House in 1976; date of death not traced;
(4) (Edward) Basil Harold-Barry (1901-92) (q.v.);
(5) Mary Patricia Harold-Barry (b. & d. 1904), born 6 March 1904 and died July 1904;
(6) Etheldreda Mary Harold-Barry (b. 1906), born 9 August 1906; living, unmarried, at Ballyellis House in 1976; date of death not traced;
(7) Aileen Mary Harold-Barry (1908-2006) (q.v.);
(8) Peter James Harold-Barry (1909-94), born 5 November 1909; educated at St. George's College, Weybridge; bought Creagh House, Skibbereen (Co. Cork) in the late 1930s; was an avid collector of antiques, Irish silver, and impressionist and contemporary art; transformed the Italianate gardens of his home into a romanic wild garden; married, 8 November 1938, Gwendoline (d. 1991), only child of Sir Edmond Browne of London, and had issue one daughter; died 24 April 1994; will proved 19 October 1994 (estate in England & Wales, £329,527).
He inherited Ballyvonare from his father in 1898.
He died 17 November 1944. His widow died 22 March 1958; her will was proved 29 May 1958 (estate in England, £154).

Harold-Barry, Charles William (1897-1986). Second, but eldest surviving, son of Harold Philip Harold-Barry (1865-1944) and his wife Helen Frances Mary, second daughter of John Gerard Riddell of Hermeston Hall and Hodsock Park (Notts), born 21 May 1897. Educated at St. George's College, Weybridge (Surrey). Served in First World War with Machine Gun Corps of Royal Munster Fusiliers (2nd Lt., 1914; Lt., 1917; Capt., 1917; wounded); awarded MC, 1918. He married, 30 November 1944, Mary Kathleen (1910-88), second daughter of David Thomas Joseph Sherlock MBE QC of Balreask, Kells (Co. Meath), but had no issue.
He inherited Ballyvonare from his father in 1944. In 1973 he handed over the estate to his nephew, Harold Robin Harold-Barry, but he continued to live at Ballyvonare until his death.
He died 24 January 1986; will proved July 1987 (estate in England, Wales and Ireland, £163,523). His widow died 16 June 1988; her will was proved 19 January 1989 (estate in England & Wales, £18,775).

Harold-Barry, (Edward) Basil (1901-92). Third son of Harold Philip Harold-Barry (1865-1944) and his wife Helen Frances Mary, second daughter of John Gerard Riddell of Hermeston Hall and Hodsock Park (Notts), born 1 September 1901. Educated at St. George's College, Weybridge (Surrey). As a young man he worked his passage to Canada, and worked as a lumberjack and cowboy in Alberta until the Great Depression caused him to try rubber planting in Sumatra (Indonesia) instead, but finding the climate injurious he returned to Ireland. He married, 6 July 1933 in Malaya, Amy Mary (1902-92), eldest daughter of William Frewen of Archnacree (Co. Tipperary), and had issue:
(1) (Harold) Robin Harold-Barry (b. 1934) (q.v.);
(2) John Francis Joseph Harold-Barry (b. 1936) (q.v.);
(3) Fr. David Anthony Harold-Barry (b. 1939), born 15 August 1939; educated at Ampleforth, Heythrop College and Campion Hall, Oxford (MA 1966; STL 1972); Roman Catholic (Jesuit) priest in Zimbabwe.
He lived at Ballybrado, Cahir (Co. Tipperary), 1936-47 and later at Priestown House, Drangan, Thurles (Co. Tipperary), 1949-90.
He died aged 90 on 1 February, and was buried at Drangan, 5 February 1992. His widow died aged 90 in July 1992.

Harold-Barry, (Harold) Robin (b. 1934). Eldest son of Edward Basil Harold-Barry (1901-92) and his wife Amy Mary, eldest daughter of William Frewen of Archnacree (Co. Tipperary), born 1 May 1934. Educated at St. George's College, Weybridge (Surrey) and Loughborough College. Civil engineer (MICE, 1961; Member of American Society of Civil Engineers, 1963); managing director of Concrete Consultancy Ltd, 1993-2002 (retired). He married 1st, 16 September 1961 (div.), Marjorie Isabel Forbes, only daughter of Duncan Hector Urquhart of Edinburgh, and 2nd, Jan-Mar 1989, Jennifer S. McBride, and had issue:
(1.1) Pauline Cecilia Harold-Barry (1962-2010), born 15 September 1962; married, Jul-Sep 1993, Michael J. Grant-Adamson; died before June 2010;
(1.2) Charles Anthony Harold-Barry (b. 1964) (q.v.);
(1.3) John Andrew Harold-Barry (b. 1965), born 8 April 1965; married, Jan-Mar 1997, Juliet M. Burdge;
(1.4) Peter Duncan Harold-Barry (b. 1966), born 11 July 1966.
He lived at Rickmansworth (Herts). In 1973 the Ballyvonare estate was made over to him by his uncle, but the latter continued to occupy the house and farm the estate. He handed the estate over to his son, partly in 1986 and partly in 1999.
Now living. His first wife married 2nd, Apr-Jun 1987, David J. Nisbett. His second wife is now living.

Harold-Barry, Charles Anthony (b. 1964). Eldest son of (Harold) Robin Harold-Barry (b. 1934) and his wife Marjorie Isabel Forbes, only daughter of Duncan Hector Urquhart of Edinburgh, born in Ghana, 12 January 1964. Educated at Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester. He married, 2004, Catherine Reid (b. 1966) from Birr (Co. Offaly).
He was given Ballyvolane House and half the estate by his father in 1986 and the remainer of the estate in 1999.
Now living.

Harold-Barry, Aileen Mary (1908-2006). Fourth and youngest daughter of Harold Philip Harold-Barry (1865-1944) and his wife Helen Frances Mary, second daughter of John Gerard Riddell of Hermeston Hall and Hodsock Park (Notts), born 6 October 1908. She married, 29 October 1940, Capt. John Witham Esmonde OBE DSC RN (1907-83), son of Dr John Joseph Esmonde MP of Drominagh (Co. Tipperary), and had issue:
(1) Peter Witham Esmonde (b. 1945), born 4 August 1945; educated at Worth School (Sussex); trained for the RC priesthood and was ordained, but after serving a curacy in Zambia left the priesthood in 1976 and retrained as a teacher (BA; MSc; PGCE); worked with Oxfam, Action Aid and the Lutheran World Federation, chiefly in Africa; married 1st, 1976, Mary M. Esmonde and 2nd, 1982, Tsehai Berhane Selassie, a social anthropologist, historian and civil rights activist;
(2) Kevin Harold Esmonde (1948-2001), born 28 May 1948; educated at Worth Junior School, Downside and Oxford; social worker and trade unionist; member of Social Work Qualifications Board, 1997-2001; lived at Ballyellis House; married Mary [surname unknown]; died 2001;
(3) Helen Mary Karin Esmonde (b. 1950), born 29 July 1950; educated at Sussex University and taught at schools in London and Toronto; later a commissioning editor with McGraw-Hill International and then founded her own publishing and stationary company in London, which she sold in 2012, remaining as managing director of the business as a division of the new owners; director of Hoopers Gallery, 2003-11 and trustee of Hooper's Africa Trust since 2006; a member of the worshipful company of stationers (Master, 2015-16); married 1st, 1976, Paul Douglas Clark of Toronto (Canada), but had no issue; married 2nd, 1985, Lt-Col. Robert Charles Couldrey, only son of C.J. Couldrey of Limpsfield Common (Surrey) and had issue one son and one daughter.
Aileen and her sisters inherited Ballyellis House from her father in 1944.
She died aged 97 on 14 May 2006; her will was proved in England, 4 February 2013. Her husband died 28 March 1983; his will was proved 16 August 1983 (estate in England & Wales, £12,997).

Harold-Barry, John Francis Joseph (b. 1936). Second son of Edward Basil Harold-Barry (b. 1901) and his wife Amy Mary, eldest daughter of William Frewen of Archnacree (Co. Tipperary), born 29 July 1936. Educated at Ampleforth and Trinity College, Dublin (BA; MVB). Veterinary surgeon (MRCVS) from 1960. He married, 11 July 1962, Grace Anne (k/a Dinkie) (fl. 1997), daughter of Toby Peter Downes of Boardstown, Mullingar (Co. Westmeath), and had issue:
(1) Patricia Frances Harold-Barry (b. 1963), born 7 April 1963;
(2) Juliet Anne Harold-Barry (b. 1966), born 12 March 1966;
(3) Mark Edward Harold-Barry (b. 1967), born 20 December 1967; given Cordangan Manor by his father, where he farms organically;
(4) twin, Robin Gerald Harold-Barry (b. 1970), born 3 September 1970;
(5) twin, Philip Peter Harold-Barry (1970-2016) of Adare (Co. Limerick), born 3 September 1970; married Mary O'Mahony, but had no issue; died 17 December 2016.
He purchased Cordangan Manor, Tipperary, in 1968, and later handed it on to his eldest son.
Now living.

Principal sources

Burke's Irish Family Records, 1976, pp. 75-76; J. Grove White, Historical and topographical notes, etc. on Buttevant, Castletownroche, Doneraile, Mallow, and places in their vicinity, Cork Historical & Archaeological Society, 1905-07; Irish Manuscripts Commission, Analecta Hibernica 15: Survey of Documents in Private Keeping: First Series, 1944, pp. 129-33 ; J. O'Keeffe (ed.), Voices from the Great Houses of Ireland: Life in the Big House - Cork and Kerry, 2013, ch. on Ballyvonare; F. Keohane, The buildings of Ireland: Cork, 2020, p. 280.

Location of archives

Harold-Barry of Ballyvonare: deeds, estate and family papers, 1700-20th cent. [Private Collection]

Coat of arms

Gules, a pall flory argent between three plates, one and two, each charged with an estoile of six points of the field.

Can you help?

  • If anyone can provide better quality photographs or any early paintings of the houses described I should be most interested to see them.
  • I should be most grateful if anyone can provide photographs or portraits of people whose names appear in bold above, and who are not already illustrated.
  • Any additions or corrections to the account given above will be gratefully received and incorporated. I am always particularly pleased to hear from members of the family who can supply recent personal information for inclusion.

Revision and acknowledgements

This post was first published 7 June 2020.


No comments:

Post a comment

Please leave a comment if you have any additional information or corrections to offer, or if you are able to help with additional images of the people or buildings in this post.