|Barclay of Bury Hill|
Alexander's son, Robert Barclay (1751-1830), was sent to England in 1763 to be brought up in the Quaker tradition in the household of his half-uncle, David Barclay (1729-1809), and he was educated at the Friends' School in Wandsworth (Surrey). He entered the world of business by joining the firm of American merchants founded by his grandfather, the London end of which was run by his half-uncle from 1767 onwards. Perceiving more clearly than most the dangers inherent in the deepening rift between the British government and the American colonists, David and Alexander Barclay first gave up their commission merchant business, and then gradually wound down their linen export business (which finally ceased trading in 1783). In 1773 Robert went back to America for a couple of years to tidy up his father's affairs and in 1776 David became a partner in the Freame bank, the oldest-established Quaker bank in London. In 1781, David Barclay and his nephews, Robert Barclay and Silvanus Bevan, bought the Anchor Brewery in Southwark from Mrs Hester Thrale for £135,000. Although David was for some years a sleeping partner in the firm, the brewery became Robert's enterprise. He took the Thrales' manager, John Perkins, into partnership, and in the 1790s the firm became Barclay Perkins & Co. Thrales had already been one of the major London brewers, but under Robert's management, the firm grew rapidly and became famous for its Russian Imperial Stout which was widely sold on the continent. By the time Robert retired from the day-to-day management of the firm in 1812, Barclay Perkins was the leading brewer in London, producing more than 330,000 barrels of beer a year.
|Northrepps Hall. Image: Literary Norfolk/'Mr Whiskey'.|
In 1812, Robert Barclay began handing over the management of Barclay Perkins to his eldest son, Charles Barclay (1780-1855), and devoted the last twenty years of his life to the pleasures of his estate, pursuing his interests in science and history, and supporting a range of philanthropic and religious causes. The initiative for which the historian has most to thank him was his decision to commission artists to record the notable buildings of Surrey, apparently with a view to producing an extra-illustrated copy of Manning & Bray's history of Surrey. The collection of over 500 watercolours by John and Edward Hassall which resulted is now in the Surrey History Centre.
Charles Barclay was brought up as a Quaker, but during the Napoleonic Wars he decided to join one of the many local volunteer regiments which were created around the country for home defence purposes in the event of an invasion. This was contrary to the Quaker tradition of pacificism, and when the matter came to the attention of his monthly meeting, he was 'disowned' by the Quakers, although it does not seem to have ruptured his relations with his family. In 1804 he married an Anglican, and subsequent generations of the family were brought up in the Church of England.
In 1830, Charles Barclay inherited Bury Hill from his father, and he put in hand further improvements to the building in 1831-33 to the designs of Decimus Burton. At much the same time, he was involved in building work for the firm, for an accidental fire at the Anchor Brewery in May 1832 caused an estimated £40,000 worth of damage. Fortunately, the premises were insured, but there was a great deal of work to be done in overseeing the rebuilding.
In the 1840s, Charles Barclay gradually handed over control of the brewery to his eldest son, Arthur Kett Barclay (1806-69) and turned his attention to other matters. He made improvements to the Bury Hill estate (which he shared with Arthur from 1847) and devoted time to his charitable works, becoming President of the Governors of Guy's Hospital for seven years. On the death of the last male heir of the Barclays of Mathers and Urie in 1854, Charles Barclay became titular representative of that Scottish family, and this honour is still held by his descendants today.
Arthur had initially been privately educated, and one of his early tutors had kindled in him a wide-ranging interest in science, and particularly astronomy. In 1847-48 Decimus Burton built an observatory for him on the hill behind the house at Bury Hill, but sadly he was only able to make use of it for a few years before a paralysing stroke in 1855 obliged him to withdraw from business and public life. Arthur died in 1869, still relatively young, of a second stroke, and was succeeded by his son, Robert Barclay (1837-1913). Robert saw the Barclay Perkins brewery through incorporation in 1896, and was the first chairman of the limited company until 1911. He was, however, less engaged in the day-to-day management of the business than his predecessors, and found time for a good deal of fishing in the lake at Bury Hill and elsewhere. His son, Lt-Col. Robert Wyvill Barclay (1880-1951), took over as Chairman of the brewery and held this position until 1950, but having been active in the yeomanry as a young man he served with the Life Guards throughout the First World War. In 1914, before the war broke out, he attempted to sell the Bury Hill estate, although in the end only one of the estate farms and the wooded hill behind the house (which became a public open space) were sold. The motives for the attempted sale are not clear, for although there will have been substantial death duties on Robert Barclay's estate, his wealth at death was too great to make a sale essential. No further efforts to sell the estate were made after the war, but with the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939 the house was requisitioned for military use. After the Second World War, the family decided to convert the house into flats, and while work was in progress on this in 1949-50, a fire destroyed the central block of the building. The ruins were demolished, leaving the two wings of the house - which have been flats ever since - as rather bizarre fangs. It is remarkable that no scheme for rebuilding the main block between them has apparently ever been proposed. The remainder of the estate was finally sold in 1952 by Col. Barclay's son, Robert Edward Barclay (1906-59), who in 1955 also merged the Barclay Perkins brewery with Messrs Courage Ltd.
When Robert Barclay (1751-1830) died, he divided his holding in Barclay Perkins between his surviving sons, Charles and David, who each received a one-eighth share. Charles, as we have seen, was active in the business and became the senior partner, but David Barclay (1784-1861) pursued other business and political interests. From 1817 he was a partner in a firm of import-export merchants (Barclay Brothers & Co.) which was regarded as a significant player in its field. His business expertise was sufficiently well-regarded for him to become a director of the Bank of England and to be recruited onto other boards of directors. He was a Liberal in politics, unlike his brother, who inclined to the Tories, and he served as MP for Penryn in Cornwall (where he had connections by marriage) and Sunderland at different times. In 1833 he bought Eastwick Park, an early 18th century house not far from his brother at Bury Hill, and undertook a substantial remodelling of the building, possibly to the designs of his brother's architect, Decimus Burton. In 1847, however, some unwise investments with unscrupulous partners brought Barclay Brothers down, and the firm had to be wound up. David experienced a significant reduction in income, and although he was not obliged to sell Eastwick, he did eventually decide to let it out and move to a smaller house in Cornwall. His eldest son, Hedworth David Barclay (1820-73), who inherited his shares in the brewery, resumed occupation of the house, built up pedigree herds of cattle and sheep on the estate, and gradually recovered the financial position of this branch of the family. When he died, however, he left a young family, and on coming of age his eldest son, Hedworth Trelawny Barclay (1859-1944), sold Eastwick in favour of renting properties in Leicestershire, where the hunting was better. H.T. Barclay and his brothers were all, apparently, keener on the military life and on sport than on attention to business, and built their lives around these activities, which were financed by their shareholdings in the brewery. H.T. Barclay's only son was killed in the First World War, and his brothers had no sons, so this branch of the family died out in 1945 with the death of Reginald Barclay (1861-1945).
Bury Hill, Dorking, Surrey
|Bury Hill: the house as first built, from J.P. Neale's engraving of 1823.|
The estate, lying south-west of Dorking town, was formed from 1751 onwards around a small farm called Chardhurst by Edward Walter (1727-80), who in 1753 also inherited the Jacobean Stalbridge Park (Dorset) from his brother. Within a few years he had built up a substantial estate near Dorking and built the mansion house which he called Bury Hill. After his death, the estate was let to short-term tenants until in 1803 Robert Barclay (1751-1830), a prosperous Southwark brewer, settled there. He bought the freehold in 1814, and subsequently further expanded the estate until by 1914 it occupied some 969 acres. As first built the house consisted of a seven bay central block with lower two-storey wings to either side, which were further continued by low flanking walls. The entrance front faced north into the rising ground behind the house, and was of two storeys, but the show front was that overlooking a large lake to the south, where the fall of the ground meant that there was an extra storey.
|Bury Hill: an engraving by J.D. Harding published in 1844 (but probably drawn in 1837-38) shows the house as extended by Robert Barclay.|
After he acquired the property in 1814, Robert Barclay is recorded as having 'greatly improved' both the house and grounds, and by 1828 the flanking walls had become arcaded colonnades linking the wings to large square pavilions containing the stables and kitchens, with pyramidal roofs and cupolas, which were fronted by three-bay verandahs, possibly initially of trelliswork. Charles Barclay (1780-1855) inherited the estate in 1830 and at once brought in Decimus Burton to make further changes to the house, perhaps including the addition of stucco to the house. In 1847-48 Decimus Burton was back at Bury Hill, designing an observatory for Charles Barclay's son and successor, Arthur Kett Barclay (1806-69), and it was perhaps he who, around this time, added a third storey to the wings of the house to the great detriment of its proportions. The observatory became ruined in the 20th century, but was subsequently restored as a house.
|Bury Hill: entrance front in the early 20th century, from an old postcard.|
|Bury Hill: a photograph, possibly of 1914, showing the garden front as altered by Decimus Burton.|
The grounds of the house were of some note and offered fine views both within the park and outwards from it. There seem to have been a number of small ornamental buildings in addition to the observatory tower, including a rustic temple with seats, offering several extensive prospects in different directions, which stood on the hill called The Nower behind the house.
|Bury Hill: bailiff's cottage by John Perry, from a drawing by J.D. Harding, 1837-38. Image: Dorking Museum.|
|Bury Hill: Gothick cottage, perhaps by John Perry, from a drawing by J.D. Harding, 1837-38. Image: Dorking Museum.|
|Bury Hill: the house after the demolition of the central block in 1952. Image: Historic England.|
Descent: Edward Walter (1727-80); to daughter Henrietta, wife of James Bucknall Grimston (1747-1808), 3rd Viscount Grimston; sold 1812/15 to Robert Barclay (1751-1830); to son, Charles Barclay (1780-1855); to son, Arthur Kett Barclay (1806-69); to son, Robert Barclay (1837-1913); to son, Robert Wyvill Barclay (1880-1951); to son, Robert Edward Barclay (1906-59), who sold in 1952.
Eastwick Park, Great Bookham, Surrey
This was the manor house of the manor of Eastwick, and it is thought that there was already a house of some consequence here in the early 17th century, when it was the property of John Browne of Esher. His heirs sold the estate to Sir Francis Howard (d. 1651), who already owned the main manor of Great Bookham, but who made Eastwick his seat. Nothing is known of the appearance of the house at this time.
On the death of Thomas Howard, 6th Baron Howard of Effingham, in 1725, the estate passed to his widow for life, and she and her second husband, Sir Conyers D'Arcy of Aske Hall (Yorks NR) seem at once to have employed the French Huguenot architect, Nicholas Dubois (c.1665-1735), to design a new house for the estate. He was a retired military engineer who turned to architecture, and is known chiefly as the translator of Palladio into English, although his preface to that work does not suggest that he was a committed advocate of the Palladian movement. The new Eastwick was a two storey house of red brick, apparently seven bays by seven, although since no illustration has been found showing it in its original form it is hard to be sure how closely it originally conformed to the Palladian canon. The house descended in the Howard family to the 4th Earl of Effingham, who in 1801 sold it to John Laurell. He is said to have altered the house and refaced it with stucco, and the earliest record of the building shows it in this form. To judge by this view (drawn by John Hassell for Robert Barclay), the external alterations were not extensive, although the Diocletian windows in the pediments were probably his work.
|Eastwick Park: the house from the west in 1904, from an old postcard.|
In 1833 the house was sold to David Barclay, who at once undertook further alterations and additions. It seems very likely that his architect was Decimus Burton, who worked at Bury Hill for his brother Charles Barclay, and whose Italianate classicism is exactly the style of the changes to Eastwick. The house grew a large service wing with a belvedere tower, and the rear elevation sprouted a full-height bow window; a glazed porte-cochere was added to the entrance front. Inside, the house seems to have been largely remodelled in the 19th century, although it is hard to judge what was done when. Only the severely plain top-lit staircase seems certainly to have survived unaltered from the original house (although even here the walls were given a new, more architectural treatment), while the neo-classical decor of the dining room may represent the taste of John Laurell in the 1800s. A tripartite saloon, divided by columns of porphyry scagliola with heavy Corinthian capitals, was created along the south-east front of the house. The elaborate ceilings here were in the style of the early 18th century, but inconsistency in their modelling suggests that they were wholly 19th century work. Such decoration seems unlikely for the 1830s or 1840s, and it was perhaps later work, as was the ceiling of the entrance hall, which was given a frankly Victorian treatment. Two smaller rooms had Etruscan style ceilings, which are more credible for the 1830s, but are perhaps also more likely to be later.
|Eastwick Park: the saloon in the early 20th century.|
|Eastwick Park: the shell during demolition, 1958.|
Barclay family of Bury Hill
|Alexander Barclay (1711-71)|
(1.1) Robert Barclay (1751-1830) (q.v.);
(1.2) Patience Barclay (1753-81); married 1st, 4 August 1772, Joseph Worrell, and 2nd, 6 June 1780, as his second wife, Reynold Keen (b. c.1738); died 4 January 1781 and was buried at Christ Church, Philadelphia.
He lived in London and later in Philadelphia. In 1769 bought the mansion known as Woodford in Fairmount Park, Philadelphia, which was sold to his brother-in-law, David Franks after his death. While in America he acquired some 20,000 acres of coal-rich lands on the Susquehanna river in Pennsylvania which remained in his family for several generations.
He died in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (USA), 12 January 1771. His first wife died in Philadelphia and was buried at Christ Church, Philadelphia, 23 June 1753. His widow died in Philadelphia, 25 April 1784.
|Robert Barclay (1751-1830)|
(1.1) Elisabeth Barclay (1776-78), born 10 July 1776; died in infancy of smallpox, 22 June 1778 and was buried at Bunhill Fields, 24 June 1778;
(1.2) Agatha Barclay (1778-1854), born 8 November 1778; married, 30 July 1827 at Brighton (Sussex), George Hillhouse, but had no issue; died 14 January and was buried at Budock (Cornw.), 21 January 1854;
(1.3) Anna Barclay (1779-1810), born 21 December 1779; married, 15 August 1799 at Kingston (Surrey), Jacob Foster Reynolds (1775-1851) of Carshalton House (Surrey), bleacher, and had issue one son and two daughters; died at Brighton, 26 May 1810;
(1.4) Charles Barclay (1780-1855) (q.v.);
(1.5) Rachel Barclay (1782-1824), born 13 March 1782; died unmarried, 1 January, and was buried at Wotton, 6 January 1824;
(1.6) twin, Lucy Barclay (1783-1859), born 24 April 1783; married, 27 December 1810, George Croker Fox (1785-1850) of Grove Hill, Falmouth (Cornw.), shipping agent, but had no issue; died 4 February 1859; will proved 17 February 1859 (effects under £8,000);
(1.7) twin, Elizabeth Barclay (1783-1827), born 24 April 1783; died unmarried, 4 December, and was buried at Brighton, 11 December 1827;
(1.8) David Barclay (1784-1861) [for whom see below, Barclay family of Eastwick Park];
(1.9) Maria Barclay (1785-1858), born 11 December 1785; married, 28 April 1814, Robert Were Fox FRS (1789-1877) of Penjerrick (Cornw.), shipping agent, and had issue two sons and two daughters; died 4 June 1858;
(1.10) Gurney Barclay (1786-1820), born at Clapham, 20 December 1786; partner in a wholesale tea merchants (Sanderson & Barclay) in London; married, 31 March 1818 at Redenhall (Norfk), Mary Elizabeth (1791-1871) (who m2, June 1825 at St James, Piccadilly, Westminster (Middx), Col. De Lancey Barclay (c.1780-1826), and m3, 11 January 1831 at St George, Hanover Square, London, Charles Augustus Stewart, and had further issue one son), daughter of John Freshfield, and had issue one son; died of apoplexy* at Youghal (Ireland), 10 September and was buried at Wotton (Surrey), 29 September 1820;
(1.11) Martha Barclay (b. & d. 1788), born 9 January 1788; died in infancy, 31 May 1788 and was buried at Bunhill Fields;
(1.12) Martha Barclay (1789-1833), born 8 December 1789; married, 14 June 1821 at Dorking, Lt-Col. John Bromhead CB (1776-1837) and had issue one son and three daughters (who when orphaned were left in the guardianship of her nephew, Arthur Kett Barclay); died 20 April and was buried at Swindon (Glos), 27 April 1833;
(1.13) Alexander Barclay (1791-1812), born 21 February 1791; died unmarried, 6 September 1812;
(1.14) Alfred Barclay (1793-95), born 21 December 1793; died in infancy, 1 July and was buried at Winchmore Hill (Middx), 4 July 1795.
He lived at Clapham (Surrey) from c.1783 and bought Northrepps Hall, Cromer (Norfk) in 1790, but sold this after his first wife's death to his brother-in-law, Richard Gurney (1743-1810). He leased the Bury Hill estate from 1803, purchased the freehold in 1814, and made alterations to the house.
He died at Bury Hill, 22 October and was buried at Winchmore Hill, 29 October 1830; his will was proved 6 December 1830. His first wife died 2 January 1794. His widow died 17 January 1837.
* Some family histories say he died in a duel in Phoenix Park, Dublin, but I have found no evidence to support this.
|Charles Barclay (1780-1855)|
(1) Arthur Kett Barclay (1806-69) (q.v.);
(2) Robert Barclay (1808-43), born 10 August 1808 and baptised at Clapham, 11 June 1810; educated at Harrow (head of the school; left 1825); travelled in Europe with his brother, 1829-30; in partnership with David Barclay [see below, Barclay of Eastwick Park] and Robert Gurney Barclay as Barclay Bros & Co. (which failed in 1847, leaving his widow and children in financial difficulties); he was also a director of the Imperial Insurance Co. and Treasurer of Total Abstinence Life Association; married, 16 February 1830 at Coggeshall (Essex), Rachel, daughter of Osgood Hanbury of Holfield Grange, Coggeshall, and had issue two sons and two daughters, who were provided for in his father's will; died in Tooting (Surrey), 6 April and was buried at Wotton (Surrey), 13 April 1843; will proved 4 May 1843;
(3) Charles Barclay (1810-23), born 6 April and baptised at Clapham, 11 June 1810; died young while at Harrow School, 28 November, and was buried at Wotton (Surrey), 5 December 1823;
(4) Anna Maria Barclay (1812-13), born and baptised at Clapham, 4 March 1812; died young, 1812; died in infancy and was buried at Clapham, 5 January 1813;
(5) Caroline Barclay (1814-78), born 23 January and baptised at Clapham, 25 March 1814; married, 18 March 1837 at Dorking, John Gurney Hoare (1810-75) of Hampstead (Middx), and had issue three sons and three daughters; died 7 July and was buried at Hendon (Middx), 12 July 1878; will proved 5 August 1878 (effects under £16,000);
(6) Rachel Juliana Barclay (1816-86), born 27 July and baptised at Clapham, 21 August 1816; married, 20 April 1847 at Dorking, Joseph Hoare (1814-86) of Childs Hill House, Hampstead (Middx), but had no issue; died 27 February 1886; will proved 29 April 1886 (effects £27,822);
(7) Thomas George Barclay (1819-94), born 15 July and baptised at St Leonard, Streatham (Surrey), 11 August 1819; educated at Harrow; auditor; given a moiety of his father's share in Barclay Perkins & Co. by his elder brother after his father's death in 1855; Master of the Worshipful Company of Brewers in 1863; JP for Hertfordshire; lived at of Lower Woodside, Hatfield (Herts); married, 15 February 1844 at Dorking, Emily, daughter of Rev. James Joyce, vicar of Dorking, but had no issue; died 25 November 1894; will proved 28 January 1895 (effects £263,751).
He rented Betchworth Castle (Surrey) until he inherited the Bury Hill estate and coal-rich lands in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (USA) from his father in 1830. He commissioned Decimus Burton to alter the house and John Perry to design ornamental buildings for the estate.
He died as a result of a riding accident, 5 December, and was buried at Wotton (Surrey), 11 December 1855; his will was proved in January 1856 (effects under £60,000). His wife died 15 March and was buried at Wotton, 21 March 1840.
Barclay, Arthur Kett (1806-69). Eldest son of Charles Barclay (1780-1855) and his wife Anna Maria, eldest daughter of Thomas Kett of Seething (Norfk), born 20 June 1806. Educated privately and at Harrow (left 1822), and travelled extensively in Europe (with his brother Robert), 1829-30, visiting Norway, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Germany and Belgium. A partner in Barclay Perkins & Co from 1826 (eventually senior partner). He had scientific interests, and was a keen amateur astronomer, building an observatory in the grounds of Bury Hill in 1847-48; he was a member of the Meteorological Society from 1850 and became a Fellow of the Geological Society, 1827; the Royal Geographical Society, 1840, the Royal Astronomical Society, 1845 (Vice-President, 1854) and the Royal Society, 1852. An officer in the Surrey Volunteer Cavalry (Capt., 1833). He was Master of the Worshipful Company of Brewers in 1840 and acted as one of the Treasurers to the Commissioners for the 1851 Exhibition. JP and DL for Surrey. He was a Conservative in politics, but declined to stand for Parliament. He succeeded his father as head of the Scottish house of Barclay in 1855 and proved his right to the name and arms of that family in 1858. He suffered a paralysing stroke in 1855, and although his mind remained unaffected he was obliged to withdraw from business and public life. He married, 20 December 1836 at Basford (Notts), Maria Octavia (1808-1902), daughter of Ichabod Wright of Mapperley (Notts), and had issue:
(1) Robert Barclay (1837-1913) (q.v.);
(2) Charles Arthur Barclay (1839-1901), born 16 January 1839; educated at Harrow (left 1855); Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society; a director of the Economic Life Assurance Society and a shareholder in Barclay Perkins & Co. Ltd.; married, 7 June 1864, Emma Rhoda (1842-1927), daughter of John Bentley of Birch House (Lancs) and had issue three sons and two daughters; died at Lausanne (Switzerland), 31 August 1901; will proved November 1901 (estate £123,329);
(3) Henry John Barclay (b. & d. 1840), born 12 July and baptised at St James, Croydon Common (Surrey), 15 August 1840; died in infancy, 22 August and was buried at St James, Croydon Common, 25 August 1840;
(4) Frederick Kett Barclay (1841-93), born 7 August and baptised at St James, Croydon Common, 17 September 1841; educated at Harrow (left 1855) and Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1861; BA 1865); rice, oil and cake merchant (in partnership with Joseph Wace Gray as Barclay, Gray & Co. of Shad Thames, Southwark) until bankruptcy, 1881; married, 14 May 1878 at St James, Piccadilly, Westminster (Middx), Annie Nabbs (1851-80), daughter of Thomas Nabbs Dallimore, publican, and widow of Ebenezer John Ramsey (1849-76); died 20 July 1893;
(5) Harriet Maria Barclay (1842-1937), born 21 December 1842 and baptised at St James, Croydon Common, 12 February 1843; from about 1869 she dedicated her life to evangelical missionary work in Bermondsey (Surrey), where she lived and founded two mission halls; author of several works on Christian upbringing of children; died unmarried aged 94 on 3 February 1937; will proved 19 March 1937 (estate £3,746);
(6) Rachel Caroline Barclay (1844-88), born 24 March and baptised at St James, Croydon Common, 29 May 1844; married, 24 August 1864, Col. Sir James Gildea (1838-1920), kt., son of the Very Rev. George Robert Gildea, rector of Marylough and provost of Tuam (Galway), and had issue three sons and two daughters; died 4 June 1888;
(7) Adeline Henrietta Barclay (1845-99), born 1845 and baptised at St James, Croydon Common, 14 January 1846; married, 29 July 1864, her cousin, Col. Hanbury Barclay (1836-1909), eldest son of Robert Barclay (1808-43), and had issue three sons and two daughters; died 7 December 1899;
(8) Emily Octavia Barclay (1847-1926), born 4 August and baptised at Dorking, 29 September 1847; married, 14 July 1868, Sir Reginald More Bray (1842-1923) of Shere (Surrey), judge, and had issue four sons and four daughters; died 17 April 1926; will proved 19 June and 29 July 1926 (estate £7,753);
(9) Margaret Barclay (1849-1914); author of a novel, Stranger in a Strange Land (1882) and co-author of Failure and Fortune in Farming (1883); married, 1 July 1869 at Westcott, Sir Arthur Temple Felix Clay (1843-1928), 1st bt., and had issue two sons; died 25 December 1914; administration of her goods granted to her husband, 29 January 1916 (estate £922);
(10) Neville Juliana Barclay (1851-1933), born 16 January and baptised at Dorking, 21 April 1851; married, 1876, Rev. Charles Lea-Wilson (1851-1936) of Glenwillyn, Northwood (Middx), and had issue seven sons and four daughters; died 17 September 1933; will proved 23 October 1933 (estate £1,402);
(11) Rev. Charles Wright Barclay (1853-1926), born 8 November and baptised at Westcott, 18 December 1853; educated at Harrow (left 1871) and Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1872; BA 1876; MA 1880); vicar of Little Amwell (Herts), 1881-1920; author of a history of the Barclay family; married, 10 March 1881 at St Anne, Limehouse (Middx), Florence Louisa (d. 1921), novelist, daughter of Rev. Samuel Beddowe Charlesworth, rector of Limehouse (Middx), and had issue two sons and six daughters; died 27 January 1926; will proved 19 March 1926 (estate £44,869).
He lived with his father at Bury Hill from 1847 and inherited the estate on his father's death in 1855, and also coal-rich lands in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (USA).
He died of a second stroke, 20 November 1869; his will was proved 12 February 1870 (effects under £160,000). His widow died 19 October 1902; her will was proved 26 November 1902 (estate £501).
Barclay, Robert (1837-1913). Eldest son of Arthur Kett Barclay (1806-69) and his wife Maria Octavia, daughter of Ichabod Wright of Mapperley (Notts), born 7 October and baptised at Dorking, 25 December 1837. Educated at Harrow and Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1855; BA 1859; MA 1862). An officer in the Surrey Rifle Volunteers (Lt., 1860). JP and DL for Surrey; High Sheriff of Surrey, 1878. He succeeded his father as chief of the Scottish house of Barclay in 1869. He was senior partner in Barclay Perkins & Co., brewers and, after the firm was made into a limited company in 1896, served as its first Chairman, 1896-1911; he was also a director of the Royal Exchange Assurance Co., 1861-1913. He was Master of the Worshipful Company of Brewers in 1871, a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society and President of the Dorking Angling Society, 1905-13. He was a Conservative in politics and was Chairman of the Dorking Conservative Association for many years. He married, 28 November 1877 at Denton (Yorks NR), Laura Charlotte Rachel (1850-1938), eldest daughter of Marmaduke Wyvill MP of Constable Burton (Yorks NR), and had issue:
(1) Robert Wyvill Barclay (1880-1951) (q.v.);
(2) Ellen Rachel Barclay (1881-1970), born 16 December 1881; married, 28 December 1922, Canon Alfred Ellis Farrow (1882-1961), vicar of St Cuthbert, Sheffield, only surviving son of Rev. John Ellis Farrow, rector of Flaxton (Yorks), but had no issue; died 3 October 1970; will proved 7 December 1970 (estate £18,397);
(3) Maj. Thomas Hubert Barclay (1884-1917), born 13 April and baptised at Westcott, 11 May 1884; educated at Harrow; an officer in the Surrey Yeomanry (2nd Lt., 1903; Lt., 1908; Capt., 1912; Maj., 1916); served in First World War; was unmarried and without issue; died of exhaustion after being rescued from the sea following the torpedoing of HMS Transylvania in the gulf of Genoa, 4 May 1917, and was buried at Savona, Liguria (Italy); posthumously awarded the Board of Trade Silver Medal for Gallantry in Saving Life at Sea; will proved 12 September 1917 (estate £20,607);
(4) Capt. Arthur Victor Barclay (1887-1963), born 11 August and baptised at Westcott, 14 August 1887; educated at Harrow; an officer in the Surrey Imperial Yeomanry (2nd Lt, 1906; resigned, 1909; returned 1914; Lt., 1917; retired 1921) and King's African Rifles (Capt.; retired 1919); served in First World War; married, 7 October 1918, Katherine Helen (d. 1943), only daughter of Arthur Valentine Willcox of Haverford, Montgomery (USA) and Lisnabrucke, Ballinafad (Galway) and had issue one daughter; died 27 November 1963; will proved 3 February 1964 (estate £74,944);
(5) Capt. George Eric Barclay (1889-1917), born 25 July and baptised at Westcott, 24 August 1889; educated at Harrow and Royal Military College, Sandhurst; an officer in King's Own Lancaster Regiment (2nd Lt., 1909; Lt., 1913; Capt., 1915); died unmarried when he was killed in action at Morogoro (Tanzania), 24 January 1917; will proved 11 April 1917 (estate £9,381).
He inherited the Bury Hill estate from his father in 1869.
He died 3 April and was buried at Westcott, 8 April 1913; his will was proved 4 June 1913 (estate £267,891). His widow died 13 August, and was buried at Westcott, 16 August 1938; her will was proved 9 September 1938 (estate £5,793).
Barclay, Lt-Col. Robert Wyvill (1880-1951). Eldest son of Robert Barclay (1837-1913) and his wife Laura Charlotte Rachel, eldest daughter of Marmaduke Wyvill of Constable Burton Hall (Yorks NR), born 23 November 1880 and baptised at Dorking, 1 January 1881. Educated privately and at Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1900; athletics blue, 1901-03). An officer in the Surrey Yeomanry (Lt., 1902; Capt., 1904; Maj. by 1913; Lt-Col.) and 2nd Life Guards (Capt.), 1914-18. He succeeded his father as chief of the Scottish house of Barclay in 1913. Director of Barclay Perkins & Co. Ltd., brewers by 1913 (Chairman until retirement, 1950). JP (from 1914) and DL for Surrey; High Sheriff of Surrey, 1923-24. His chief recreations were shooting and fishing and he succeeded his father as President of the Dorking Angling Society in 1913. He married, 20 October 1904 at Shere (Surrey), Elsa Mary (1881-1956), daughter of His Honour Sir Edward Bray, kt., and had issue:
(1) Mary Priscilla Rachel Barclay (1905-94), born 7 August 1905; gave public performances of a marionette theatre in the 1930s; lived at Bramley House, Westcott (Surrey); died unmarried 24 December 1994; will proved 30 March 1995 (estate £137,104);
(2) Robert Edward Barclay (1906-59) (q.v.);
(3) John Stephen Barclay (1908-68), born 24 December 1908 and baptised at Mickleham, 21 February 1909; educated at Harrow, Trinity College Cambridge (BA 1930) and Inner Temple (called 1932); barrister-at-law; served in Second World War with Westminster Dragoons, 1939-45 (2nd Lt., 1939; Lt., c.1940; Capt., 1949; honorary Maj.); clerk to the Fishmongers Company in the city of London, 1949; clerk to Governors of Gresham School, Holt (Norfk); Hon. Sec. of Salmon & Trout Assoc., the Oyster Merchants & Planters Assoc. and Central Council for Rivers Protection; succeeded his older brother as head of the family of Barclay of Mathers & Urie, 1959; lived at Shere (Surrey); married, 18 May 1940, Patricia, youngest daughter of George Slade of London, solicitor, and had issue one son (Humphrey John Barclay (b. 1941), television producer, current head of the family of Barclay of Mathers & Urie) and two daughters; died 5 August 1968; will proved 20 December 1968 (estate £33,828);
(4) Malcolm Eric Barclay (1912-72), born 12 March 1912; educated at Harrow and Trinity College, Cambridge (BA 1933); served with Surrey & Sussex Yeomanry and Royal Artillery in Second World War (Capt. 1939; temporary Maj.); manager of Style & Winch, brewers, which had been taken over by Barclay Perkins & Co. in 1929; lived at Gabriels Manor, Edenbridge (Kent); married 1st, 7 July 1934 at St Dunstan's RC Church, Woking (Surrey), Monica Mary Johnstone (1914-66), daughter of Gerald Trevor Johnstone Bevan of Blunts Hill, Witham (Essex) and had issue four sons; married 2nd, 1967, June Trowell (d. 1974) and had further issue one son; died 25 January 1972; will proved 16 May 1972 (estate £46,610).
He inherited the Bury Hill estate from his father in 1913 and attempted to sell it in 1914, but only one farm was actually sold at the auction, while the wooded hill called the Nower was bought by Dorking Urban District Council as a public open space later in the year. The house was requisitioned during the Second World War and converted into flats in 1949-50, when much of the house was destroyed by fire.
He died 19 November 1951; his will was proved 5 February 1952 (estate £373,218). His widow died 6 October 1956; her will was proved 7 December 1956 (estate £10,745).
Barclay, Robert Edward (1906-59). Eldest son of Lt-Col. Robert Wyvill Barclay (1880-1951) and his wife Elsa Mary, daughter of Sir Edward Bray, kt., judge, born 12 August and baptised at Mickleham (Surrey), 10 September 1906. Educated at Harrow and Trinity College, Cambridge (BA 1928). An officer in Surrey & Sussex Yeomanry and Royal Artillery (Maj.). Managing Director of Barclay Perkins & Co. from 1950 until the firm merged with Messrs. Courage Ltd. in 1955. Racehorse owner. He married, 20 April 1932 at Cranleigh (Surrey), Nesta Anne (1909-2004), elder daughter of Maj. James Robert Bury-Barry OBE of Ballyclough, Kilworth (Co. Cork) and Elvington Hall (Yorks), and had issue:
(1) Annette Barclay (b. 1934), born 29 March 1934; married, 6 April 1961 at Holy Trinity, Brompton (Middx), Rear-Adm. Sir Oswald Nigel Amherst Cecil (1925-2017), kt., only son of Cmdr. the Hon. Henry Mitford Amherst Cecil OBE RN, and had issue one son;
(2) Isabel Gillian Barclay (b. 1939), born 5 April 1939; married, 29 April 1961 (div.), Christopher Charles Clifford (later Clifford-Kingsmill) (1934-2008), son of Maj. Frederick Edward Clifford of Long Crendon (Bucks), and had issue two daughters.
He inherited the Bury Hill estate from his father in 1951 but sold it in 1952.
He died 26 March 1959; will proved 2 June 1959 (estate £100,152). His widow died 5 May 2004; her will was proved 13 September 2004.
Barclay family of Eastwick Park
Barclay, David (1784-1861). Second son of Robert Barclay (1751-1830) and his first wife, Rachel, daughter of John Gurney of Keswick (Norfk), born 29 September 1784. He was born a Quaker but was disowned by the Westminster Monthly Meeting in May 1817, and his children were brought up in the Church of England. He was a partner in Barclay Bros. & Co., merchants, from 1817-47 when the firm became insolvent as a result of ill-advised investments in Mauritius, and was wound up. He was also a director of the Bank of England, 1821-23, 1824-26 and of the Anglo-Mexican Mining Association, 1825-28. In 1830 he inherited from his father one eighth of the Barclay Perkins & Co. brewery and a substantial part of his personal estate. He was MP for Penryn, 1826-30 and (as a Liberal) for Sunderland, 1835-37 and 1841-47. His nephew, Robert Barclay Fox, judged him to be ‘a gentlemanly and kind hearted man with good sense’, who ‘lacks force of character’. In April 1850 he had a narrow escape from drowning when his horse took fright during a violent storm and carried him into a mill-pool, from which he was rescued with great presence of mind by a youth working in the mill. He married, 20 October 1818 at Whitburn (Durham), Maria Dorothea (1798-1846), daughter of Sir Hedworth Williamson, 6th bt., of East Markham, and had issue:
(1) Hedworth David Barclay (1820-73) (q.v.);
(2) Alexander Charles Barclay (1823-93), born 1823 and baptised at Long Ditton (Surrey), 15 June 1824; educated at Harrow, Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1842) and the Inner Temple (admitted 1850); shareholder in Barclay Perkins & Co., brewers; Liberal MP for Taunton, 1865-80; a noted racehorse owner; lived at Scraptoft Hall (Leics) which he leased and also at Beeby (Leics), which he owned; died unmarried, 10 January 1893 and was buried at Beeby; will proved 27 February 1893 (effects £142,533);
(3) Maria Dorothea Barclay (1826-1900), born 26 February 1826 and baptised at St Mary, Bryanston Square, London, 27 March 1826; lived at St. Nicholas House, Richmond (Yorks NR), which she inherited in 1873 from the Earl of Zetland (brother-in-law to her mother); died unmarried, 8 January 1900; will proved 6 March 1900 (estate £31,066);
(4) Robert William Barclay (1828-96), born 23 January 1828 and baptised at Dorking, 14 October 1832; East India merchant in partnership with William Turck (as Turck & Barclay) until 1864, when the firm went into liquidation; died 15 November, and was buried at Carshalton (Surrey), 19 November 1896; lived latterly at Hackbridge Lodge, Carshalton (Surrey); will proved 28 December 1896 (effects £40,823);
(5) Capt. David Barclay (1831-90), born 13 August 1831 and baptised at Dorking, 14 October 1832; an officer in the 16th Lancers (Cornet, 1849; Lt., 1850; Capt., 1853; retired 1863); lived with his brother at Scraptoft Hall; died unmarried as result of falling from his horse while hunting at Great Dalby (Leics), 21 February 1890, and was buried at Beeby (Leics);
(6) Elizabeth Anne Barclay (1834-95), born 30 November and baptised at Great Bookham, 28 December 1834; lived at Mendon Vean, Falmouth (Cornw.); died unmarried in London, 12 March 1895; will proved 20 April 1895 (estate £14,117).
He purchased the Eastwick Park estate in 1833 and remodelled it, possibly to the designs of Decimus Burton. His improvements to the estate are said to have doubled its value. After 1855 he let the house and lived at Roskrow, near Penryn (Cornw.).
He died at Roskrow, Penryn, 1 July and was buried at Great Bookham, 6 July 1861; his will was proved 7 August 1861 (effects under £40,000). His wife died in Paris, 25 June 1846, and was buried at Great Bookham, 2 July 1846.
Barclay, Hedworth David (1820-73). Eldest son of David Barclay (1784-1861) and his wife Maria Dorothea, daughter of Sir Hedworth Williamson, 6th bt., of East Markham, born 15 October and baptised at Clapham (Surrey), 9 November 1820 and again at Long Ditton (Surrey), 15 June 1824. Educated at Harrow and Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1838). Partner in Barclay Perkins & Co., brewers, of Southwark. Chairman of the Licensed Victuallers School Society, 1857-58. An officer in 3rd Royal Surrey Militia (Capt., 1853; resigned 1860). In the 1860s and 1870s he maintained pedigree herds of cattle and sheep. He married, 30 March 1857 at St James, Piccadilly, Westminster (Middx), Agnes Caroline (1827-1915), daughter of Henry Brereton Trelawny of Shotwick (Cheshire) and widow of John James Calley (1810-54) of Burderop Park (Wilts), and had issue:
(1) Agnes Emma Barclay (1858-1932), born at 10 Bruton St., London, 1 April 1858; married, 7 October 1895 at St Peter, Cranley Gardens, Kensington (Middx), Frederick Holland (1846-1927), eldest surviving son of Augustus Holland of Abele Grove, Epsom (Surrey) and St. Mary's, Uplyme (Devon), but had no issue; died 23 January 1932; will proved March 1932 (estate £25,449);
(2) Hedworth Trelawny Barclay (1859-1941) (q.v.);
(3) Harry David Barclay (1860-1940), born at Eastwick, 7 August, and baptised at Great Bookham, 28 August 1860; educated at Eton; an officer in the army (2nd Lt., 1877; Lt., 1878; resigned 1884; returned to serve as Capt., 1914; retired as Maj.); lived in London and later at Plumstead Hall near Norwich; inherited his uncle's property at Beeby and Scraptoft (Leics) and his partnership in Barclay Perkins & Co, brewers in 1893; married 1st, 22 February 1890 at the British Embassy in Paris (France) (div. 1910), Ida Florence (1870-1945) (who m2, 1913, Walter Ernest Lawrence), eldest daughter of Joseph Crisp Clarke of Birstall Hall (Leics), and had issue one daughter; married 2nd, Jul-Sept 1911, Marie Louise (1884-1967) (who m2, Oct-Dec 1942, John Balfour), daughter of Raphael Ambrose Bialé; died 27 October 1940 at his brother's house in Scotland; will proved 8 March 1941 (estate £36,699);
(4) Reginald Barclay (1861-1945), born at 10 Grosvenor Sq., London, 24 December 1861; educated at Eton; an officer in the army (2nd Lt., 1880; Capt., 1884; Maj., 1894; Lt-Col., 1903; retired as Col., 1914); served in Boer War; appointed CB, 1911; lived at Moyles Court (Hants) and from c.1928 at Balkail, Glenluce (Wigtowns.); married, 31 March 1894 (div. 1903), Marion (1874-1950) (who m2, Capt. Charles Bryce and m3, Walter Godfrey Phillimore, 2nd Baron Phillimore), second daughter of Maj-Gen. Sir Cecil Robert St. John Ives of Moyns Park (Essex); died 12 December 1945; will proved 10 May 1946 (estate £84,402).
He inherited Eastwick Park from his father in 1861.
He died at Eastwick, 25 August 1873; his will was proved 8 October 1873 (effects under £120,000). His widow died in Brighton, 14 July 1915, and was buried at Great Bookham; her will was proved 18 August 1915 (estate £487).
Barclay, Hedworth Trelawny (1859-1944). Eldest son of Hedworth David Barclay (1820-73) and his wife Agnes Caroline, daughter of Henry Brereton Trelawny of Shotwick (Cheshire) and widow of John James Calley of Burderop Park (Wilts), born 10 May and baptised at St George, Hanover Sq., London, 4 June 1859. Educated at Eton and Christ Church, Oxford (matriculated 1877). Partner in Barclay, Perkins & Co., brewers, until the firm was reorganised as a limited company in 1896. JP for Surrey. An officer in the Leicestershire Yeomanry (Lt.; resigned 1883; 2nd Lt., 1900; Maj.). He was a well-known racehorse owner (most famous for Bendigo, highly successful in the 1880s) and amateur jockey; he acted occasionally as a racing official and was also a keen huntsman from his first meet in 1874, despite meeting with a serious accident in 1906. His sporting interests extended to shooting (where he won the International Cup at Hurlingham in 1886) and salmon fishing for which he travelled extensively. He married 1st, 11 November 1885 at Chirk (Denbighs.) (div. 1912), Agnes Mary (d. 1920), youngest daughter of Richard Myddleton Biddulph of Chirk Castle, and 2nd, 15 May 1918, Katie O'Meara of Tipperary, and had issue:
(1.1) Nesta Katherine Barclay (1886-1979), born 22 November 1886; married, 12 January 1909, Maj. Sir George Julius Jackson (d. 1956), 3rd bt., and had issue one son and four daughters; died 8 May 1979; will proved 19 July 1979 (estate £81,605);
(1.2) Vera Agnes Barclay (1889-1985), born 6 May 1889; married, 29 July 1912, Capt. the Hon. Thomas James Amherst Cecil (1887-1955), second son of Col. Lord William Cecil and Baroness Amherst of Hackney, and had issue; died aged 96 in Hawthorn East, Victoria (Australia), 8 August 1985; administration of goods with will annexed granted in London, 17 April 1986 (effects £24,115).
(1.3) Rafe Hedworth Myddleton Barclay (1892-1914), born 14 November 1892; educated at Rugby and Army College, Aldershot; an officer in the Wiltshire Regt (2nd Lt, 1910; Lt, 1913) and Kings Royal Rifle Corps (2nd Lt.); was unmarried when he was killed in action at battle of Aisne, Picardy (France), 14 September 1914.
He inherited Eastwick Park from his father in 1873, came of age in 1880 and sold it in 1882. He subsequently leased Gaddesby Hall (Leics) and The Hermitage, Ascot (Berks), and in his last years lived in a service flat in London and at a private hotel in North Berwick (East Lothian).
He died in Edinburgh, 24 July 1944; his will was proved 31 January 1945 (estate £179,430). His first wife died 23 December 1920; administration of her goods was granted to her younger daughter, 22 February 1921 (estate £4,443). His second wife's date of death is unknown, but he was living alone in 1939, and they may have separated soon after their marriage.
Burke's Landed Gentry, 1965, pp. 43-46; Burke's Landed Gentry - The Kingdom in Scotland, 2001, pp. 55-59; Brayley & Britton, History of Surrey, iv., pp. 186-87 and v, p. 108; C.W. & H.F. Barclay, A history of the Barclay family, 1924-34 (3 vols); E.H. Milligan, Biographical dictionary of British Quakers in Commerce and Industry 1775-1920, 2007, pp. 31-33; Sir H.M. Colvin, A biographical dictionary of British architects, 1600-1840, 4th edn., 2008, pp. 202, 799; History of Parliament biographies of Charles Barclay and David Barclay; Oxford Dictionary of National Biography entries on David Barclay (1682-1769) and David Barclay (1729-1809).
Location of archives
Barclay family of Bury Hill: estate papers, 1541-1913 [Surrey History Centre, 644]
Barclay family of Eastwick Park: deeds, estate and family papers, 19th cent. [London Metropolitan Archives, 2305/1/1445 ff.]
Coat of arms
Azure, a chevron ermine in chief three crosses patée argent.
Can you help?
- Can anyone provide an illustration of Eastwick Park before it was altered in the early 19th century?
- Does anyone know more about the second marriage of Hedworth Trelawny Barclay?
- I should be most grateful if anyone can provide photographs or portraits of people whose names appear in bold above, and who are not already illustrated.
- As always, any additions or corrections to the account given above will be gratefully received and incorporated.
Revision and acknowledgements
This post was first published 15 March 2019.