|Balguy of Duffield|
The family's property at Aston in the parish of Hope seems likely to have been acquired through the marriage of Robert Balguy in the early 14th century with a daughter of Thomas Aston, and there was probably a continuous descent from this time onwards, although it cannot be traced with confidence. Thomas Balguy of Aston is mentioned in 1485 and 1498, and was perhaps the great-grandfather of the Thomas Balguy of Aston with whom the genealogy below begins. During the 16th century cadet branches of the family became established at Todwick (Yorks) and Stamford (Lincs), and the latter has generally been confused with the senior line because both used the forename Thomas with tedious frequency. The Stamford Balguys were indeed a good deal more prominent in the 17th and 18th centuries than their senior cousins: Thomas Balguye (d. 1607) was both MP for and Recorder of Stamford, and his eldest son John Balguy (d. 1662) followed him in the latter office. Thomas's second son, the Rev. Thomas Balguy (c.1596-1653), was rector of Stoke Doyle (Northants), and it was he who married Mary Westfield, a daughter of the Bishop of Bristol. His son, again Thomas Balguy (1642-96) was headmaster of Sheffield Grammar School and was father of the theologian, Rev. John Balguy (1686-1748), vicar of Northallerton (Yorks NR) and grandfather of the Ven. Thomas Balguy (1716-95), Archdeacon of Winchester. Previous writers have generally tried to identify the mid-to-late 17th century generations of this family with the contemporary Balguys of Aston Hall.
To return to the High Peak, Thomas Balguy (fl. 1603), who built the present Aston Hall in 1578, had a large family. He was succeeded by his son, Thomas Balguy (fl. 1634), whose only recorded child was another Thomas Balguy, born in 1618 and living in 1677. The only child of his who is certainly known was a daughter, Jane Balguy, who married George Foljambe (1646-85) in about 1670. She may have been his heir, as George Foljambe subsequently lived at Aston Hall, but it did not remain in his family, passing - either by sale or marriage - to the Bournes and later the Nodders.
Our main concern here is with Adam Balguy (d. c.1611), the younger brother of Thomas Balguy (fl. 1598) of Aston Hall, and his descendants. Adam lived at Hagg Farm, Hope, which passed in turn to his son Thomas Balguy (d. c.1649) and grandson, Henry Balguy (1609-85). It is with Henry that the family passes unambiguously into the gentry. He was an attorney and married three times. With his first wife he acquired Rowlee Farm, adjoining his ancestral property, and his son Henry Balguy (1648-1711), who was a barrister and High Sheriff of Derbyshire, was able to buy the manor of Derwent and build Derwent Hall there. This estate passed in turn to his son, Henry Balguy (1674-1737), who had two sons. The elder was trained as a lawyer and the younger as a physician. Henry Balguy (1700-71), the lawyer, had his office at Alfreton, at the other end of the county, and in 1767 he moved there and sold the Derwent estate. The physician, Dr. Charles Balguy (1708-67), settled in Peterborough, where he pursued literary interests alongside his medical practice.
When his father sold Derwent Hall, John Balguy (1748-1833) was a student at the Middle Temple. He was called to the bar in 1771 and practised on the Midland circuit.
|Swanwick Hall: built 1690 and demolished in 1812, which was|
the home of John Balguy from 1770-91.
The eldest son, John Balguy (1782-1858) followed closely in his father's footsteps, succeeding him as Recorder of Derby in 1830 and also becoming Chairman of Quarter Sessions. Although he never became a circuit judge, he was appointed one of the Serjeants-at-Law in 1842. He had four sons to survive to maturity, of whom one chose the law, two the army, while the youngest became a sugar refiner in London. The eldest was John Bryan Balguy (1821-86), who trained as a barrister but seems to have been less successful than his father and grandfather. He let Duffield Park after his father's death, and in about 1870 he became a stipendiary magistrate, at first in Stoke-on-Trent, and later in the south-eastern suburbs of London. With the income from his Derbyshire rental and his salary, he rented country houses which were more conveniently located to where he was working: at first Longton Hall (Staffs) and later Waltham House, Gt. Waltham (Essex) and Hawley House (Kent). By 1880 he had a town house in London as well and was also renting Wolseley Hall (Staffs). None of these remained in the family for long after his death, and his widow died at Weyhill near Andover (Hants).
His eldest son, Maj-Gen. John Henry Balguy (1859-1933), who was a career army officer, retired in 1910 and settled at Bockhampton, Stinsford (Dorset). After his first wife died he married Evelina Haverfield (1867-1920), a younger daughter of the 3rd Baron Abinger, who was the widow of a fellow army officer. The marriage was unconventional from the start. They were married without guests, with servants as witnesses, and she resumed her first husband's surname by deed poll within a few weeks of the wedding. There were no children, and after a few years they agreed an amicable separation, perhaps partly because her activities as a militant suffragette were increasingly embarrassing to her husband. Mrs Haverfield moved to a cottage in north Devon, where she established a menage á deux with the younger suffragette, Vera 'Jack' Holme (1881-1969). When the First World War broke out, she turned her considerable energy to relief work in Serbia, and after the war she returned there to establish an orphanage charity. She died in Serbia of pneumonia in 1920. Maj-Gen. Balguy died in 1933, leaving two married daughters by his first wife, and his house at Bockhampton was sold.
Aston Hall, Hope, DerbyshireA small five bay, two-and-a-half storey house of coursed rubble stone, prominently dated 1578 in an elaborate strapwork cartouche in the centre of the entrance front, although it was much altered in the later 17th century, perhaps after 1670, when it was taxed on only four hearths. The south front is symmetrical and has a pedimented stone doorcase enclosing what is presumably the original doorway with foliate spandrels. The centre is carried up in a steep gable enclosing a three-light window with a pediment that has a small figure in the tympanum, and to either side of the gable is an ashlar parapet with ball finials. The other side of the house also has small figures in the gables, now badly worn, although one seems to show a hunter and his dog. The present mullioned windows are of paired tall lights and must be 19th or 20th century; the one to the left of the main doorcase seems to have been a doorway at one time.
|Aston Hall, Hope: the symmatrical south front in 2013, when it was softened by sympathetic planting|
The front range of the house has two rooms on the ground floor separated by a central passageway leading to a Tudor arched doorway at the rear. Projecting at the rear are two unequal gabled ranges, of which the narrower one (on the west) appears to be the earlier, as it has a big Tudor-arched fireplace. It would seem, therefore, that the house was originally L-shaped, and that a room was added at the back when it was remodelled in the 17th century. The west front room - perhaps to be thought of as the hall when the house was first built - formerly had a large and elaborate fireplace with paired columns and demi-columns and the initials TB for Thomas Balguy, although which one is unclear! Sadly this was wrecked by insensitive alterations in the 1960s.
|Aston Hall, Hope: the entrance front after recent alterations.|
Descent: Thomas Balguy (fl. 1598); to son, Thomas Balguy (fl. 1634); to son, Thomas Balguy (b. 1618); to son, Thomas Balguy (b. 1642); to [f.u.] Bourne... to [f.u.] Nodder; ...to Shuttleworths of Hathersage Hall; who sold to Edward Dalton... Joseph Dalton (fl. 1956); sold to Miss H. Cuthbert (fl. 1984)...sold 2013.
Derwent Hall, Derbyshire
|Derwent Hall: the house as built in 1692, before the additions of 1878-82.|
The Derwent Hall estate was formed in the late 17th century by Henry Balguy (1648-1711). With one of the properties he bought came a small house which had four hearths in 1670, and which apparently formed the nucleus of the later hall. He rebuilt this house in 1692 as a comfortable if rather old-fashioned house of local gritstone. The new building had a south-facing main front of two storeys with gabled attics, and projecting wings framing a four-bay centre. The east and west fronts were of five plain bays. The fenestration was a mix of mullioned and transomed windows and smaller cross-windows; the former may have marked the extent of the original, possibly L-shaped, house that existed in 1670, or have been used in the more important rooms. The central doorcase on the main front had a broad surround of primitive rustication with a single, enormous, keyblock, and framing the approach to this were a pair of pretty rusticated gatepiers and a semicircular flight of steps.
|Derwent Hall: J.A. Hansom's executed design for the enlargement of the house, from The Builder, 1881.|
|Derwent Hall: the east front of the house after J.A. Hansom's additions of 1878-82, which included the large R.C. chapel at the far end of the range.|
|Derwent Hall: coloured postcard of the interior of the house with its Victorian-Jacobean woodwork and the tapestries from Worksop Manor.|
Descent: sold 1672 to Henry Balguy (1609-85); to son, Henry Balguy (1648-1711); to son, Henry Balguy (d. 1737); to son, Henry Balguy (1700-71) who sold 1767 to [f.u.] Bennet;... John Bennet (fl. 1816); sold 1831 to John Read (1777-1862); sold 1846 to Newdigate; sold c.1875 to Henry FitzAlan Howard (1847-1917), 15th Duke of Norfolk; given to brother, Lord Edmund Bernard Howard (1855-1947), later 1st Viscount FitzAlan of Derwent; sold 1924 to Water Authority; demolished 1944.
Duffield Park, Derbyshire
|Duffield Park: entrance front|
There is said to have been a gabled house with mullioned windows on this site on the western side of the village, which was probably built for James Chaloner of Duffield in the early 17th century. It was taxed on ten hearths in 1670, but it is unclear if any of the fabric of this building remains in the present house, as it was apparently rebuilt in the early 18th century and then heavily modernised around 1800 for John Balguy. Today, only the proportions and the tightly spaced fenestration of the entrance front hint at the early 18th century phase. The main block has seven bays and two and a half storeys, with a Doric porch and sash windows of c.1800. To the east, the house is continued by a four bay, two-storey wing which is probably also early 19th century. The west end of the house is of four bays, and has a two-storey canted bay window with a large chimneybreast to its left which must be one of the earlier surviving features of the house.
|Duffield Park: rear elevation|
The rear elevation is less regular and is composed of two three-bay components of very different appearance. The south-west part has irregular fenestration, including small windows on the top floor which look as though they might preserve Jacobean proportions, and a big tripartite window on the first floor which is obviously 19th century. The south-east part has three regularly fenestrated bays the same height as the rest of the building, but composed of two taller storeys, suggesting that this part of the house is an addition made at the time of the remodelling c.1800. The interior is not much help in elucidating the history of the house since it was divided into flats twice in the later 20th century. On the second occasion the work was done 'as rapidly and inexpensively as possible... in a manner which has destroyed much of the interior, and is an object lesson in how not to convert an historic building of this calibre'.
Descent: James Chaloner; to son, Thomas (b. 1619); to daughter, [forename unknown], who in 1662 married Sir Nicholas Wilmot of Osmaston... Edward Wilmot...sold 1791 to John Balguy (1746-1833) of Alfreton; to son, John Balguy (1782-1858); to son, John Bryan Balguy (c.1820-86); let after his death to F.S. O'Grady; sold 1891 to Sir John Aiton (1864-1950) of Derby; sold after his death and divided into flats; sold c.1990 and redivided into flats.
Balguy family of Aston Hall
Balguy, Thomas (fl. 1603). Eldest son of Thomas Balguy of Aston and his wife Joan Pole (probably of Pool Hall, Hartington (Derbys)). He married Emma, daughter of Lawrence Stafford of Bottoms Hall, Mellor/Glossop (Derbys), and had issue:
(1) Jane Balguy;
(2) Frances Balguy;
(3) Alice Balguy;
(4) Thomas Balguy (fl. 1634) (q.v.);
(5) Margaret Balguy;
(6) Lawrence Balguy (fl. 1658) of Bradwell; married and had issue;
(7) Elizabeth Balguy, baptised at Hope, 8 January 1602/3;
(8) John Balguy (fl. 1613);
(9) Adam Balguy (d. 1680), gent., of Bradwell; married and had issue two daughters; buried at Hope, 13 December 1680;
(10) Robert Balguy (fl. 1613);
(11) Edmund Balguy (fl. 1658) of Hope Hall (Derbys); married and had issue.
He inherited the Aston Hall estate from his father and rebuilt Aston Hall in 1578.
He was living in 1598. His wife's date of death is unknown.
Balguy, Thomas (fl. 1611-34). Eldest son of Thomas Balguy (fl. 1603) and his wife Emma, daughter of Lawrence Stafford of Bottoms Hall, Mellor (Derbys). He married, before 1618, and had issue (probably among others):
(1) Thomas Balguy (b. 1618) (q.v.).
He inherited Aston Hall from his father.
He was living in 1634. His wife's date of death is unknown.
Balguy, Thomas (b. 1618). Only recorded son of Thomas Balguy (fl. 1611-34) and his wife [name unknown], baptised at Hope, 30 June 1618. He married and had issue (probably among others):
(1) Jane Balguy (fl. c.1670); married George Foljambe (1646-85) of Aston Hall, third son of Peter Foljambe of Steeton and Hope.
He inherited Aston Hall from his father, but let or sold it to his son-in-law.
He was living in 1677. His wife's date of death is unknown.
Balguy family of Derwent Hall and Duffield Park
Balguy, Adam (d. c.1611). Younger son of Thomas Balguy of Aston and his wife Joan Pole (probably of Pool Hall, Hartington (Derbys)). He married, Jane Tye of Retford (Notts), and had issue:
(1) Thomas Balguy (d. c.1649) (q.v.);
(2) John Balguy (d. 1610); died in infancy, 10 March 1609/10;
(3) Anne Balguy;
(4) Jane Balguy; perhaps the 'Joan, daughter of Adam Balgie' buried at Hope, 15 July 1632;
(5) Margaret Balguy.
He lived at The Hagg, Hope (Derbys).
He died in about 1611. His wife may be the 'Ann, wife of Adam Balgie' buried at Hope, 4 March 1609/10.
Balguy, Thomas (d. c.1649). Elder son of Adam Balguy (d. c.1611) of The Hagg, Hope (Derbys) and his wife Jane Tye of Retford (Notts). He married (licence 1607), Dorothy (d. 1628), daughter of Thomas Massey of Wickleswick (Lancs), and had issue:
(1) Henry Balguy (1609-85) (q.v.).
He inherited The Hagg, Hope, from his father.
He died in about 1649. His wife was buried at Hope, 19 June 1628.
Balguy, Henry (1609-85). Only recorded son of Thomas Balguy (d. c.1649) and his wife Dorothy, daughter of Thomas Massey of Wickleswick (Lancs), baptised at Hope, 12 January 1608/9. Attorney-at-law. He married 1st, Grace (d. 1640), daughter and ultimate heiress of Edward Barber of Rowlee Farm, Hope; 2nd, Elizabeth, daughter of Edward Alleyne of Tideswell, and 3rd, Ann (1615-90), daughter of John Morewood of Oakes Park, Norton (Derbys) and widow of William Fox (1613-48) of Fullwood, and had issue:
(2.1) Henry Balguy (1648-1711) (q.v.);
(2.2) Dorothy Balguy (1643-76?), baptised at Hathersage, 26 December 1643; said to have married, c.1665, George Fox of Fullwood, and had issue four sons and two daughters; buried at Bradfield (Yorks WR), 11 August 1676;
(2.3) Elizabeth Balguy; died in infancy;
(3.1) Elizabeth Balguy; died young and was buried at Hathersage, 23 January 1672;
(3.2) John Balguy (fl. 1662); perhaps died young.
He inherited The Hagg, Hope from his father in 1649, and Rowlee, Hope in right of his first wife.
He died 17 March 1685 and was buried at Hope, where he is commemorated by a monument. His first wife was buried at Hope, 15 July 1640. His second wife died before 1661. His widow was buried at Bradfield (Yorks WR), 14 April 1690.
Balguy, Henry (1648-1711). Only son of Henry Balguy (1609-85) and his second wife Elizabeth, daughter of Edward Alleyne of Tideswell, born 1648. Educated at Brasenose College, Oxford (matriculated 1667) and Grays Inn (admitted 1668). High Sheriff of Derbyshire, 1680-82; Grand juror for Derbyshire, 1682. He married, c.1673, Walberge (1650-1723), daughter and heiress of Anthony Senior of Cowley Hall, Darley Dale (Derbys), and had issue:
(1) Henry Balguy (1674-1737) (q.v.);
(2) Frances Balguy (1676-1743), baptised at Hathersage, 6 January 1675/6; married Rev. Dr. William Lucy (d. 1724) of Charlecote (Warks), rector of Tolland (Somerset) and Hampton Lucy (Warks) and prebendary of Wells Cathedral, 1709-24, but had no issue; buried at Hampton Lucy, 12 May 1743;
(3) Dorothy Balguy (d. 1677); died in infancy and was buried at Hope, 29 October 1677;
(4) John Balguy (b. c.1679; fl. 1729) of Hope Hall; educated at Magdalen Hall, Oxford (matriculated 1694) and Inner Temple (admitted 1697; called 1703); barrister-at-law; granted charter for a cattle market at Hope, 1715 and rebuilt Hope Hall (now the inn known as Hope Old Hall) in 1729, though one source says he died unmarried in 1719;
(5) Charles Balguy; probably died young;
(6) Anne Balguy; married, 15 April 1714 at Great Longstone (Derbys), Rev. Alexander Hamilton (d. 1717), vicar of Hathersage and later rector of Eyam (Derbys), but had no issue;
(7) Mary Balguy; died unmarried;
(8) Philippa Balguy; married, 21 September 1724 at St Nicholas, Warwick, Rev. Thomas Hayes, vicar of Hope, 1723-31;
(9) Gervase Balguy (1688-1751), baptised at Stoney Middleton (Derbys), 25 July 1688; attorney-at-law of Wirksworth (Derbys); died unmarried at Aldwark near Rotherham (Yorks WR), 29 January, and was buried at Rawmarsh (Yorks WR), 31 January 1750/1.
He purchased Derwent Hall in 1672 and built a new house there in 1692.
He was buried at Hope, 10 July 1711. His widow was buried at Hope, 21 August 1723.
Balguy, Henry (1674-1737). Eldest son of Henry Balguy (1648-1711) of Derwent Hall and his wife Walberge (d. 1723), daughter and heiress of Anthony Senior of Cowley Hall, Darley Dale (Derbys), baptised at Hope, 23 June 1674. He married, 24 August 1699 at Greasley (Notts), Elizabeth (1676-1730), daughter of Thomas Eyre of Newbold, and had issue:
(1) Henry Balguy (1700-71) (q.v.);
(2) Dr. Charles Balguy (1708-67) of Peterborough; educated at Chesterfield and St. John's College, Cambridge (matriculated 1725; MB 1731; MD 1750); doctor of medicine; secretary of the Peterborough Literary Club; published anonymously a translation of Boccaccio's Decameron (1741) and also medical treatises including De morbo miliari (1758) on the sweating sickness; married [forename unknown] Hake; died without surviving male issue, 28 February 1767 and was buried at St John, Peterborough, where there is a monument to his memory; will proved at Peterborough, 13 June 1767;
(3) Ann Balguy (b. c.1700; fl. 1759); married, 31 January 1720/1 at Sheffield, as his second wife, Rev. John Downes (c.1691-1759), vicar of St Paul, Sheffield, 1739-45 and lived later on an estate at Alfreton, but had no issue; living in 1759;
(4) Catherine Balguy (1711-68), baptised at Hope, 22 January 1710/11; married, 30 January 1732/3 at Hathersage, Joseph Greaves (1704-83) of Moscar House, Hathersage, and had issue five sons and five daughters; buried at Hathersage, 29 September 1768;
(5) Mary Balguy (d. 1741); died unmarried and was buried at Alfreton, 2 August 1741;
(6) Dorothy Balguy (d. 1781); married, 28 November 1734, Anthony Worrall (d. 1761) of Strynds in Bradfield, and had issue four sons; buried at St Nicholas, Bradfield, Sheffield (Yorks WR), 28 May 1781;
(7) Elizabeth Balguy (d. 1791); married, 22 March 1735/6 at Chesterfield (Derbys), John Littlewood of Bamford in Hathersage, and had issue two sons and one daughter; buried at Hope, 14 October 1791.
He inherited Derwent Hall from his father in 1711 and may have lived before this at Newbold in the parish of Chesterfield.
He was buried at Hope, 27 November 1737. His wife was buried at Hope, 29 December 1730.
Balguy, Henry (1700-71). Eldest son of Henry Balguy (1674-1737) and his wife Elizabeth (d. 1730), daughter of Thomas Eyre of Newbold, born 1700. Attorney-at-law, practising at Alfreton (Derbys) by 1766 and possibly much earlier. He married Mary (1723-56), daughter of Thomas Pearson of Wortley (Yorks WR), and had issue:
(1) John Balguy (1748-1833) (q.v.);
(2) Frances Martha Balguy (1754-1824), of Friar Gate, Derby; died unmarried and was buried at St Peter, Derby, 21 September 1824;
(3) Mary Balguy (d. 1809), died unmarried; will proved in the PCC, 25 May 1809.
He inherited Derwent Hall from his father in 1737 but sold it in 1767 and moved to Alfreton (Derbys).
He died at Alfreton, 17 July, and was buried at Hope, 20 July 1771. His wife was buried at Hope, 9 May 1756.
|John Balguy (1746-1833)|
(1) John Balguy (1782-1858) (q.v.);
(2) Henry Balguy (1783-1802), baptised at Alfreton, 13 September 1783; an officer in the army (Ensign, 1800; Lt., 1802); died of a fever in Trinidad, August 1802;
(3) Edward Bryan Balguy (1784-c.1816), baptised at Alfreton, 14 June 1784; an officer in the 36th Foot (Lt. 1803; Capt. by 1813), and York Chasseurs (Capt., 1814); he was court martialled in Barbados for being drunk on duty and dismissed from the service, 1815, but in view of the extenuating circumstances he was permitted to receive the value of his commission; he died shortly afterwards;
(4) Bryan Thomas Balguy (1785-1857), of Ockbrook Manor (Derbys), born 12 May and baptised at Alfreton, 30 May 1785; solicitor and money scrivener (bankrupt, 1830, 1838); town clerk of Derby, 1818-57 and coroner for Derby 1824-57; married, 27 December 1827 at St Marylebone (Middx), Emma Broadhurst Portmore (1808-75), and had issue one son (who died in infancy) and two daughters; died 8 July and was buried at Ockbrook, 14 July 1857; will proved 5 December 1857;
(5) Mary Balguy (1786-1854), baptised at Duffield, 25 April 1786; lived at Hazlebrow, Duffield; died unmarried and was buried at Duffield, 2 March 1854;
(6) Charles George Balguy (1787-1849), baptised at Alfreton, 30 August 1787; articled clerk to William Jeffery Lockett of Derby, solicitor, 1805-10; solicitor in Derby and Stamford, c.1810-25; registrar of the archdeaconry of Nottingham, c.1825-49; lived latterly at Colwick (Notts); an officer in the Wollaton troop of the Nottinghamshire Yeomanry Cavalry (2nd Lt., 1826; Lt. by 1829; Capt., 1845); was unmarried but fathered an illegitimate daughter (known as Harriet Atkin); buried at Duffield, 27 January 1849;
(7) Eliza Balguy (1788-1832), baptised at Alfreton, 15 August 1788; married, 13 April 1826 at Duffield, Cockshutt Twisleton Heathcote (1793-1885) of Littleover Old Hall (who m2, 21 October 1835), Eliza Georgina Hawkins and had further issue two sons and one daughter), and had issue one son and one daughter; died 1 December 1832 and was buried at Littleover;
(8) Charlotte Balguy (1789-1849), baptised at Alfreton, 18 September 1789; lived at Hazlebrow, Duffield; died unmarried, 26 November, and was buried at Duffield, 1 December 1849; will proved in PCC, 12 September 1850;
(9) William Balguy (1791-92), baptised at Duffield, 30 May 1791; died in infancy and was buried at Duffield, 10 January 1792.
He rented Swanwick Hall, Alfreton from the Tissington family from 1770 until in 1791 he bought and remodelled Duffield Park. At the end of his life he moved to Lockington Hall (Leics), which he leased from the Rev. Philip Story by 1818.
He died 8 September 1833 and was buried at Duffield, 14 September 1833, where he is commemorated by a monument. His wife died 5 December 1821.
|John Balguy (1782-1858)|
(1) Barbara Elizabeth Balguy (1820-54), baptised at Spondon (Derbys), 2 February 1820; married, 5 May 1852 at Duffield, Francis Gammel O'Reilly (1810-78) (who m2, 8 July 1856, Caroline Rachel (1809-85), daughter of Joshua Crompton of Esholt Hall (Yorks)), son of Edward O'Reilly, and had issue one daughter; died at Doncaster, 30 June 1854;
(3) Lt-Col. Henry Balguy (1823-1902), born at Wiveton Hall (Notts), 23 August and baptised at Bingham (Notts), 25 August 1823; educated at Dr. T. Burnaby's Academy, Quorndon (Leics); an officer in the infantry (Ensign, 1842; Lt., 1843; Capt., 1847); and 5th West Yorkshire Militia (Capt. and Adjutant, 1856; Maj. and hon Lt-Col. on retirement, 1875); agent for Scottish Provident Institution in Leeds and later in Bristol, 1875-c.1880; a freemason from 1854; married, 12 June 1856 at Edinburgh, Elizabeth (c.1834-1916), daughter of John Cockburn of Edinburgh, but had no issue; lived from c.1880 in Bath (Somerset) and died there, 3 August 1902; will proved 17 October 1902 (estate £6,719);
(4) Maj. Charles Yelverton Balguy (1827-1900) of The Priory, Tavistock (Devon), born 20 August 1827; educated at Eton; an officer in 42nd Highlanders (Ensign, 1847; Lt., 1850; Capt., 1854); Adjutant to 1st Derby Militia (Capt., 1855; Maj., 1879; retired 1882) and Derbyshire Rifle Volunteers; married 1st, 30 August 1854 at Moylescar (Westmeath), Lucy Adela (1835-65), daughter of Col. John Caulfield of Bloomfield (Westmeath) and had issue two sons and three daughters; married 2nd, 23 April 1867 at Chapel-en-le-Frith (Derbys), Ellen Elizabeth (1836-99), only daughter of Henry Marwood Greaves of Hesley Hall (Notts) and Ford Hall (Derbys), and had further issue one daughter; died 29 October and was buried at Hazelwood (Derbys), 1 November 1900; will proved 6 March 1901 (effects £64);
(5) Francis St. John Balguy (1830-63), born 7 January and baptised at Bingham (Notts), 18 January 1830 and apparently again at Lockington (Leics), 7 October 1831; educated at Eton and Brasenose College, Oxford (matriculated 1848; BA 1852); sugar refiner in London; freemason from 1856; married, 29 April 1858 at Melcombe Regis (Dorset), Caroline Georgina (d. 1922), daughter of Thomas Hawkesworth of Stoke-sub-Hamdon (Somerset) and had issue two sons; died 13 July and was buried at Kensal Green Cemetery, 17 July 1863; will proved 1 August 1863 (effects under £10,000);
(6) Caroline Amy Balguy (1833-1915), baptised at Lockington (Leics), 13 July 1833; a nun of the community of St. John at the House of Mercy, Clewer (Berks); died unmarried, 7 January 1915; will proved 29 January 1915 (estate £568).
He inherited Duffield Park from his father in 1833, but also continued his lease of Lockington Hall for some years.
He died 16 December 1858; his will was proved 18 January 1859 (effects under £12,000). His wife died suddenly, 28 June, and was buried at Duffield, 5 July 1856.
Balguy, John Bryan (1821-86). Eldest son of John Balguy (1782-1858) and his wife Barbara, daughter of Rev. John Francis Seymour Fleming St. John, prebendary of Worcester, and widow of John Baker of Waresley Park (Worcs), born 16 December and baptised 20 December 1821. Educated at Eton, Merton College, Oxford (matriculated 1840; BA 1844) and Middle Temple (admitted 1844; called 1848). Barrister at law; Stipendiary Magistrate in Stoke-on-Trent, c.1870-74 and at Greenwich and Woolwich in Metropolitan Police District, 1874-86. JP for Derbyshire. He was a freemason from 1843. He married, 3 April 1858 at Beckenham (Kent), Harriet Anne (1828-1908), daughter of James William Ogle of Oakwood, Beckenham, and had issue:
(1) Brig-Gen. John Henry Balguy (1859-1933) (q.v.);
(2) Charles Bertram Ogle Balguy (1860-1941); educated at Eton; brewer; married, 18 September 1899 at Caundle Marsh (Dorset), Mary Edwina Corbin-Cutter of Marsh Court, Caundle Marsh, daughter of Daniel Chase Corbin of Spokane, Washington (USA), banker (and presumably widow of a Mr. Cutter), and had issue one daughter; died 18 February 1941; will proved 28 June 1941 (estate £18,316);
(3) Alice Mary Balguy (1863-1912), born Jan-Mar 1863; died unmarried in London, 29 June 1912 and was buried at Kensal Green Cemetery; will proved 22 July 1912 (estate £11,033).
He inherited Duffield Park from his father in 1858 but let it from 1860. He leased Longton Hall (Staffs) from 1870-72 and later Waltham House, Great Waltham (Essex). In 1880 he had a house in London and also Hawley House, Dartford (Kent) and Wolseley Hall (Staffs).
He died at Huyton (Lancs), 5 December 1886; his will was proved 3 March 1887 (effects £2,307). His widow died 11 January 1908; her will was proved 5 February 1909 (estate £1,765).
Balguy, Maj-Gen. John Henry (1859-1933). Elder son of John Bryan Balguy (1821-86) and his wife Harriet Anne, daughter of James William Ogle of Oakwood, Beckenham (Kent), born 7 February 1859. Educated at Eton and Royal Military Academy. An officer in the Royal Artillery (Lt., 1879; Capt., 1887; Maj., 1897; Lt-Col, 1905; Col., 1908; retired 1910 but returned to service 1914; Maj-Gen., 1917); County Director for Dorset of Voluntary Aid Detachments and British Red Cross Society, 1911-24. He married 1st, 7 February 1885 at St Martin-in-the-Fields, Westminster (Middx), Mary (1864-98), daughter of William Smith Nicholson of Eastmore, Yarmouth (IoW); and 2nd, 19 July 1899 (sep. by 1910) at Caundle Marsh (Dorset), Hon. Evelina (1867-1920), third daughter of William Frederick Scarlett, 3rd Baron Abinger and widow of Maj. Henry Wykeham Brook Tanstall Haverfield RA (1846-95), a militant suffragette who was twice imprisoned in Holloway but turned to aid work in Serbia with Scottish Women's Hospitals during the First World War, and who resumed the surname of her first husband by deed poll shortly after the marriage. He had issue:
(1.1) twin, Dorothy Avis Balguy (1886-1952), born 11 March 1886; married, 15 January 1916 at Stinsford (Dorset), Sir Philip Reginald Le Belward Egerton (later Grey-Egerton) (1885-1962), 14th bt. (who m2, 11 October 1961, Kathleen, daughter of Peter Crook of Borwick Lodge, Ambleside (Westmld) and widow of Brian Thorburn Dickson), and had issue two sons and one daughter; died 26 April 1952; administration of her goods granted to her husband, 23 January 1953 (estate £786);
(1.2) twin, Violet Irene Balguy (1886-1985), born 11 March 1886; married, 20 August 1911 at Shalfleet (IoW), Edward Litton Luther (1866-1951) and had issue one son and one daughter; died aged 99, 22 April 1985; will proved 17 June 1985 (estate £42,725).
He inherited the freehold of Duffield Park from his father in 1886 but sold it in 1891. He lived in retirement at Bockhampton, Stinsford (Dorset). After he and his second wife separated she lived at Peace Cottage, Brendon (Devon).
He died 28 December and was buried at Stinsford (Dorset), 30 December 1933; his will was proved 6 February and 14 June 1934 (estate £23,091). His first wife died at Naini Tal, Uttar Pradesh (India), 9 July 1898. After he and his second wife separated, she formed a partnership with fellow suffragette Vera ‘Jack’ Holme (1881-1969), to whom she left an annuity. After the First World War she returned to Serbia and founded the ‘Hon. Evelina Haverfield’s Fund for Serbian Children’ which set up orphanages at Uzitza and Bajina Bašta. She died of pneumonia on 21 March 1920, and was buried at Bajina Bašta; a memorial service was held for her at Southwark Cathedral on 1 May 1920; her will was proved 13 June 1921 (estate £2,612).
Burke's Landed Gentry, 1952, pp. 98-99; S.O. Addy, 'Charles Balguy MD', Journal of Derbyshire Archaeological and Natural History Society, vol. 6, 1884, pp. 10-30; M. Craven & M. Stanley, The Derbyshire country house, 2001, pp. 81-82, 252, 268-69; D. Curtis, A. Darlington et al., Medieval lives in Castleton and Hope, 2013; C. Hartwell, Sir N. Pevsner & E. Williamson, The buildings of England: Derbyshire, 3rd edn., 2016, pp. 121-22, 377; pers. corresp. with Max Craven.
Location of archives
Balguy of Duffield: deeds and family papers, 19th cent. [Derbyshire Record Office, D330, D1882]
Coat of arms
Since the 15th century, the family have used the following arms, although they appear never to have been granted or approved by the College of Arms: Or, three lozenges azure.
Notes about missing information and help wanted with this entry
- If anyone knows of a drawing of Duffield Park made before the remodelling of c.1800, I should be very interested to see it.
- I would be most grateful if anyone can provide additional genealogical or career information about the earlier generations of this family.
- If anyone can supply portraits or photographs of people named in bold above for inclusion in this account, I should be very pleased to receive them.
- Additions or corrections to the account given above will be gratefully received and incorporated.
Revision and acknowledgements
This post was first published 12 November 2018 and was updated 7 May 2019, 2 May 2020 and 23 November 2021. I am most grateful to Emma Lister and Chris Singleton for additional information and to Dr David Bostwick for a correction.