Wednesday 27 December 2017

(314) Bagshawe of Ford Hall and Banner Cross Hall

Bagshawe of Ford and Banner Cross
The Bagshawe family were landowners in Derbyshire for a very long time. Some Victorian antiquaries were keen to push their tenure back before the Norman Conquest, but the earliest authentic record seems to be of Nicholas de Bagshawe, who was a Forester in fee in the Peak forest in 1317. The family name seems to originate from Bagshawe in the parish of Chapel-en-le-Frith, no more than half a mile from their later home at Ford Hall, and the ancient farmhouse of Bagshaw Hall could perhaps have been their first home. 

By the 16th century, there were two distinct branches of the family: the Bagshawes of Abney and the Bagshawes of The Ridge (in the parish of Chapel-en-le-Frith). The branch at The Ridge were settled there by 1368 at the latest, and held that estate for twelve generations at least, living in 'a large and picturesque old mansion, with many gables, pinnacles, and stained-glass windows filled with coats of arms' which passed by marriage in the 18th century to the Fitzherberts of Tissington and was largely pulled down in about 1820. I have found no visual record of this house, but it seems possible that it remained little more than a gentleman farmer's house.
Bagshaw Hall, Bakewell: built in 1684 for Thomas Bagshawe.
In 1684, Thomas Bagshawe (1638-1721), a younger son of Thomas Bagshawe (d. 1649) of The Ridge, who had prospered as a lawyer in Bakewell, built himself a smart new house in that town which has continued to be called Bagshaw Hall down to the present day, even though it was carried to the Fitzherberts by his youngest daughter.

The Bagshawes of Abney were ultimately the more successful branch. Their landholdings were scattered more widely around the Peak District, and came to include lands at Abney, Hucklow, Litton and Chapel-en-le-Frith and to include a number of key lead mining sites, which - although the Bagshawes did not work them directly - undoubtedly contributed to the family's growing wealth in subsequent centuries. William Bagshawe (1598-1669), with whom the genealogy below begins, styled himself 'yeoman' as a young man, but 'gentleman' by the time of his death, and registered his pedigree and right to bear arms at the herald's visitation of Derbyshire in 1664. It was he who bought Ford Hall, at some point during the Commonwealth years. William was a Puritan and disapproved of his eldest son, the Rev. William Bagshawe (1628-1702), entering the church, even though the church was then being run on Presbyterian lines. At the Restoration, however, when the younger William was ejected from the vicarage of Glossop for nonconformity, his father gave him the use of Ford Hall, which he used as the base from which to conduct a zealous and effective preaching ministry that earned him the soubriquet 'The Apostle of the Peak'. William Bagshawe left the majority of his estates to his second son, John Bagshawe (1635-1704), who settled at Hucklow (Derbys), and whose descendants acquired property at Wormhill and the Oakes [see my next post].

The successors of the Rev. William Bagshawe at Ford Hall held to his low church views and Whig instincts in politics down to the 19th century, but the family never again produced a divine of any significance. His son, Samuel Bagshawe (1656?-1706) was 'a good scholar and a true Christian' but no preacher and died soon after his long-lived father, and in the next generation William Bagshawe (1686-1756) supported a number of a nonconformist ministers and employed one as his secretary for a time. He was, however, possessed of a rather hasty temper, and was inclined to jump to unwarranted conclusions on the flimsiest of evidence. In 1720 he took responsibility for bringing up his seven year old nephew, Samuel Bagshawe (1713-62) when he was orphaned, and having no children himself, he eventually made Samuel his heir. Samuel was rather inclined to act first and think afterwards, and this trait, in combination with his uncle's temper, made for a somewhat tempestuous relationship between the two. In 1731, Samuel and a fellow-pupil ran away from the tutor with whom they had been placed at Wakefield and made their way to London, where they joined the army as private soldiers in a regiment stationed at Gibraltar. Samuel soon realised what a foolish move this had been, and begged other relatives to intercede with his guardian to buy him out of the army. Both the persuasion and then the negotiations took a long time, and not until 1738 was his discharge finally obtained, by which time Samuel had progressed to the rank of sergeant quartermaster, and demonstrated his aptitude for military service. After a period living at home, Samuel returned to the army as an officer, and with the help of his uncle and of the Duke of Devonshire, who was a neighbour and friend of his uncle, he quickly ascended the promotion ladder. There was a setback when he lost a leg in action against the French in 1746, but he was able to resume his career and to marry with his uncle's consent in 1751. Samuel inherited Ford Hall in 1756 and finally made it to full Colonel when he raised his own regiment for service in Ireland in 1760, although he died soon afterwards.

The heir to Ford Hall was Samuel's eldest son, also Samuel Bagshawe (1753-1804). He had a difficult childhood, with absent parents leaving him for long periods with over-indulgent aunts. He developed a taste for gambling and luxurious living at a young age, was constantly in debt, and had to sell part of the estate and even the pictures from Ford Hall. The house was shut up, abandoned, and became derelict, while he lived primarily in London. When he died without children, he left his widow - who mercifully did not share his addictions - a life interest in everything that was left. The headship of the family descended on his younger brother, the Rev. William Bagshawe (1763-1847), a pluralist Church of England minister, whose various livings provided him with a comfortable income.
Buckminster Old Vicarage (Leics): the house built in 1815 for
Rev. William Bagshawe. Image: Alan Murray-Rust. Some rights reserved.
He rented country houses near the places he served himself, and in 1815 built a new vicarage at Buckminster (Leics). His life was transformed, however, when in 1818 he inherited the Banner Cross Hall estate near Sheffield in right of his wife, whose brother, Lt-Gen. William Murray, was in the process of building a new house to the designs of Jeffry Wyatt at the time of his death. In 1828, on the death of his brother's widow, he also recovered Ford Hall, where he carried out repairs and some rebuilding in 1837-38.

William's only son having died without issue, at his death Banner Cross Hall and Ford Hall were left to his only daughter, Mary Catherine Anne (1809-78), the wife of Henry Marwood Greaves (1793-1859) of Hesley Hall (Notts). Greaves suffered severe financial losses in mining speculations, and left the estate somewhat embarrassed when it was handed on to his eldest son, William Henry Greaves-Bagshawe (1831-1913). He combined the low church and anti-popery views of his predecessors with a great interest in the history of his family, and produced a very detailed account of his predecessors at Ford Hall: The Bagshawes of Ford: a biographical pedigree (1886) based upon the family archives. His only son drowned on his way back from the Boer War in 1901, so when he died in 1913, Banner Cross and Ford Halls passed to his daughter Frances (d. 1920), who with her husband Ernest Carver (1860-1936), took the name Bagshawe.
Snitterton Hall: entrance front, c.1928.
After his wife died, Ernest Bagshawe remodelled Ford Hall and then sold Banner Cross Hall, which became company offices in 1932. His only son, Francis Edward Gisborne Bagshawe (1893-1985), bought Snitterton Hall in 1930. When Ernest died in 1936, Francis moved to Ford Hall, but he found it too large and in 1957 he sold it for subdivision into several houses and returned to Snitterton Hall. He and his wife (d. 1986) lived at Snitterton until they died, but as neither of their two surviving sons wished to live at Snitterton it was then sold, bring to a close the links of this branch of the family with Derbyshire. Some of the furniture from Snitterton has been sold more recently.

Ford Hall, Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire

Ford Hall, Chapel-en-le-Frith: the house from the west in 1967, showing the classical facade designed
by Sir Percy Worthington in the 1920s. Image: Historic England.

A complex house which developed around an irregular courtyard, with two main fronts, set at right-angles to each other and facing south-west and south-east. There has been a house on the site since at least 1222, but the earliest part of the present building seems to be the late 16th century gable-end towards the northern end of the south-west front, which has mullioned windows on the ground and first floors. An analysis of the building published in 1909 suggested that this represented the left-hand cross-wing of an E-shaped manor house, the rest of which had been much altered and rebuilt in the 18th and 19th centuries, but photographs suggest that little if any Tudor structure (apart from the present wing) then survived, and subsequent alterations have destroyed most of the evidence. Behind the late 16th century block, to the east there was a series of 17th century and later structures with mullioned and transomed windows that stepped up the hillside like a row of terraced cottages to join the 16th century wing to a taller block with a crow-stepped gable end, which had at one time a lintel dated 1678, and which must therefore have been built for the Rev. William Bagshawe. A block plan of the house in 1776 shows a gap in this row corresponding to the narrowest unit, which provided access from the north side of the house into a small central courtyard.
Ford Hall, Chapel-en-le-Frith: north range of the house. Image: Peak Park Planning Board/Historic England

Ford Hall: the centre of the south-west front before the construction of a new classical centrepiece in the 1920s.

Ford Hall descended to William Bagshawe (d. 1756), who married an heiress and was responsible for the next stage of the house's development. To the right of the 16th century wing, he built an L-shaped 18th century range, traditionally dated to 1727, although if it is that early the windows were altered later as they have narrow glazing bars more typical of the early 19th century. The foot of this range forms the left-hand portion of the south-east front, where it displays a five-bay, two-storey facade with a central doorcase carrying a broken pediment supported on brackets. Round the corner, on the south-west front, the range had a single bay in line with the gable-end of the 16th century range, but was otherwise recessed. This configuration may have suggested the idea of an E-plan house having existed at an earlier time. The Georgian block had a series of panelled interiors and a good staircase with two turned balusters per tread. In 1758, Col. Samuel Bagshawe undertook repairs to the house, which commenced by 'taking off the battlements of the house and lowering them into the court'.

Ford Hall: the south-east front, with the block of 1727 on the left and the mid 19th century block on the right.
On the south-east front, there was in 1776 a further block to the east of the Georgian facade, but projecting rather further forward. This was replaced in 1837-38 by the present tall, rather hamfisted, battlemented block with mullioned windows under hoodmoulds, which was built for Rev. William Bagshawe to his own designs, with some practical assistance from the builder, John Waring; it contained new dining and drawing rooms. Probably at the same time a new main entrance and bay window were built on the south-west front between the projecting gable-ends of the 16th and 18th century wings. A plan of the house in 1909 shows the layout after these changes.

Ford Hall, Chapel-en-le-Frith: ground plan, 1909.

In 1913 the house passed to Frances Alice Devereux Bagshawe (d. 1920), the wife of Edward Carver (1860-1936), who took the name Bagshawe in 1914. They seem to have made their home at Ford Hall, and in the 1920s, after his wife's death, Edward altered the south-west front of the house again, to the designs of Sir Percy Scott Worthington (1864-1939).  He built a new three-bay classical facade in front of the 18th century wing and connecting the gable-ends of the 16th and 18th century ranges. Finally, in 1957 the house was divided into a number of units. The Georgian block, which was in poor condition, became completely derelict in the 1960s, but was reconstructed by R.N. Heap for himself from 1967 with a low hipped roof instead of a parapet: little survives of the original interiors in this part of the house. The property remains divided subdivided and in residential use.

Descent: Nicholas Creswell (fl. 1576); to son, Anthony Cresswell (d. 1629); to son, Nicholas Cresswell (d. 1647); to daughter, Barbara Cresswell, who sold 1648 to Robert Ashton (c.1610-87) of Stony Middleton; sold to William Bagshawe (1598-1669); to son, Rev. William Bagshawe (1628-1702); to son, Samuel Bagshawe (1656?-1706); to son, William Bagshawe (1686-1756); to nephew, Col. Samuel Bagshawe (1713-62); to son, Samuel Bagshawe (1753-1804), who left the house unoccupied and untenanted; to widow, Catherine Bagshawe (d. 1828); to brother-in-law, Rev. William Bagshawe (1763-1847), who remodelled it in 1837-38; to daughter, Mary Catherine Anne (1809-78), wife of Henry Marwood Greaves; to son, William Henry Greaves-Bagshawe (1831-1913); to daughter, Frances Alice Devereux (1860-1920), wife of Edward Carter (later Bagshawe) (1860-1936); to son, Francis Ernest Gisborne Bagshawe (1893-1985), who sold 1957 for division into multiple units.

Banner Cross Hall, Ecclesall, Yorkshire (WR)

An Elizabethan or Jacobean house consisting of a central hall range with two cross-wings was built on this commanding site, probably for the Bright family, whose principal seat was at Whirlow Hall, and it was given landscaped grounds in the mid 18th century by Lord John Murray. The condition of the house by the early 19th century was very poor and it was described as:
A gloomy mansion, where in empty state, and cob-web'd ruin hangs a goodly list of painted lords, and many a beauteous dame of Atholl's princely race... Bereft of these the mouldering mansion wears in every view the signal of decay; slow whispering winds creep through the chilling rooms, the tatter'd hangings shake with every breeze. 
(J. Hunter, Hallamshire, 1819).

Banner Cross Hall: perspective view by Jeffry Wyatt, 1817, showing the old house retained on the left, and the unbuilt conservatory on the right.

The decision of General Murray to rebuild, made in a hurry in 1817, was probably prompted by clear evidence that the old building was failing, and indeed in 1818 William Bagshawe recorded laconically in his diary that while he was spending the night at Banner Cross "A side of the house gave way. I was in much danger". General Murray summoned Jeffry Wyatt to Banner Cross in July 1817, and within three months the plans had been agreed and work commenced on site. The scheme, perhaps inspired by the style of the original house, was for a picturesque Tudor Gothic house composed around a central octagonal porch-tower, with the principal reception rooms along the south front, overlooking the views over the grounds.

Banner Cross Hall in 1972: the house from the south-east, with the later service wing on the left. 
Image: Sheffield City Libraries.

The General died on 29 August 1818, while work was in full swing, and ownership passed to Bagshawe and his wife Anne, who was the general's sister. Although the change of ownership inevitably caused some delays to progress, the main block was completed in June 1821 at a cost of £9,000. The General's original intention was to retain and repair the old house as a service wing, but the Bagshawes decided to pull it down and replace it, as Wyatt had recommended, at the cost of a further £6,000. Most of the old building was pulled down in 1820, but the new wing was not built until 'much later', although it was presumably complete by 1823, when the family moved in. The additional cost of the service range was partially offset by the omission of the Gothic conservatory which was part of Wyatt's original design. This was regretted by Wyatt because it would have introduced an element of deliberate asymmetry, which he sought to include in his designs at this time (c.f. Endsleigh House), but Wyatt still considered Banner Cross 'the best specimen of his handicraft'. In total, with expenditure on the grounds, decorations and furnishings, General Murray and the Bagshawes probably spent about £20,000.

Banner Cross Hall: entrance front, with the service wing on the right, and the modern range on the site of the conservatory to the left. Image: Mick Knapton. Some rights reserved.

Banner Cross Hall: plan of the house as rebuilt by Jeffry Wyatt in 1817-21 (main block) and later (service wing). After Linstrum, 1972.

Many of the original interiors have been altered, but such work as remains shows that it was a plain, restrainedly Tudor house inside as well as out. In its final form, after the addition of the service wing, it was an impressive but comfortable house which composed well around the octagonal porch tower from several different aspects. Since the house became company offices for Henry Boot Ltd. in 1932, the interiors have been much altered. The dining room (now Board Room) now has 17th century carved wood festoons from the demolished Hayes Place (Kent), and a fireplace and panelling from the RMS Mauretania, scrapped in 1935. A two storey flat-roofed wing has been built on the site of the intended conservatory, and although weakly designed in itself, its massing does give some idea of the effect Wyatt's original scheme might have had.

Descent: John Bright (d. 1748); to grandson, Bright Dalton (d. 1748); to sister, Mary, who in 1758 married Col. Lord John Murray (1711-87); to daughter Mary (1759-1803), wife of Lt-Gen. William Foxlowe (later Murray) (1756-1818); to sister, Anne (d. 1844), wife of Rev. William Bagshawe (1763-1847); to daughter, Mary Catherine Anne (1809-78), wife of Henry Marwood Greaves (1793-1859); to son, William Henry Greaves-Bagshawe (1831-1913), who let it; to daughter, Frances Alice Devereux (1860-1920), wife of Edward Carter (later Bagshawe) (1860-1936), who sold 1932 to Henry Boot plc.

Bagshawe family of Ford and Banner Cross

Bagshawe, William (1598-1669). Son of Henry Bagshawe and Ann, daughter of Robert Barker, born 16 August 1598. Yeoman or gentleman farmer. A Puritan in religion, though he disapproved of his eldest son entering the church and made his second son his principal heir as a result. He married 1st, 6 August 1625, Jane (d. 1661), daughter of Ralph Oldfield of Litton (Derbys), and 2nd, 6 November 1661, Helen, daughter of Robert Bagshawe of Taddington (Derbys), and had issue:
(1.1) Rev. William Bagshawe (1628-1702) (q.v.);
(1.2) Mary Bagshawe;
(1.3) John Bagshawe (1635-1704), born 10 May 1635; High Sheriff of Derbyshire, 1696; inherited most of his father's landed property, including the manor of Hucklow; married 1st, before 1661, Grace, daughter of Henry Bright of Whirlow Hall, and had issue one son and two daughters; he married 2nd, 22 August 1676, Elizabeth (d. 1706), daughter of Rev. Samuel Coates, another ejected nonconformist minister, and had issue four sons and one daughter; died 4 November and was buried at Tideswell, 8 November 1704; will proved 18 May 1705;
(1.4) Jane Bagshawe (d. 1639); buried at Tideswell (Derbys), 10 March 1638/9;
(1.5) Michael Bagshawe (1637-38), baptised at Tideswell, 4 June 1637; died in infancy and was buried at Tideswell, 29 May 1638;
(1.6) Robert Bagshawe (1640-69), baptised 1 January 1640/1; married, by August 1662, Sarah, daughter of James Taylor of Melton (Yorks) but had no issue; died March 1668/9;
(1.7) Anne Bagshawe;
(1.8) Susannah Bagshawe (1642-1723), baptised at Tideswell, 30 July 1642; married 1st, 13 January 1663/4 at Chapel-en-le-Frith, William Barber (d. 1667) of Malcoffe (Derbys); married 2nd, Edward Ashe (d. 1690) of Tideswell, and had issue two sons; buried at Tideswell, 21 July 1723;
(1.9) Henry Bagshawe (b. c.1643); died young;
(1.10) twin, Mary Bagshawe (1644-85), baptised at Tideswell, 28 July 1644; married, about August 1662, Anthony Longden (d. 1686) of Wormhill (Derbys) and had issue three sons and two daughters; died 12 December 1685 and was buried at Tideswell;
(1.11) twin, Thomas Bagshawe (b. 1644), baptised at Tideswell, 28 July 1644; died young;
(1.12) Charles Bagshawe (1645-97?), baptised at Tideswell, 24 September 1645; perhaps died 19 January 1696/7;
(1.13) Adam Bagshawe (1646-1724) [for whom see the succeeding post on the Bagshawe family of Wormhill and Oakes];
(1.14) Ellen Bagshawe.
He inherited or acquired estates at Hucklow, Abney, Litton and Ford (all Derbys) and was lord of the manor of Hucklow. He purchased Ford Hall sometime after 1648.
He died in 1669; his will was proved 18 May 1669. His first wife was buried at Tideswell, 29 April 1661. His widow married 2nd, 10 January 1670/1 or 1 April 1671, Richard Torr of Castleton (Derbys); her date of death is unknown.

Bagshawe, Rev. William (1628-1702). Son of William Bagshawe (1598-1669) and his wife Jane, daughter of Ralph Oldfield of Litton (Derbys), born at Litton, 17 January, and baptised at Tideswell, 19 January 1627/8. Educated privately and at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge (BA 1646). Ordained 1 January 1650/1. Vicar of Glossop, 1651-62 (deprived for nonconformity); subsequently operated as a nonconformist preacher and minister in the Peak District area of Derbyshire, at first covertly but from 1672 more openly, earning the soubriquet 'The Apostle of the Peak'; he also held regular services in his house at Ford Hall, and published many works of practical divinity, including The water of life; Rules for our daily walk; The ready way to prevent sin (1671); The miners' monitor (1675); The sinner in sorrow; The riches of grace (1674-85); Trading spiritualized (1694-96); De spiritualibus pecci (1702) and Union to Christ (1703). He married, 16 June 1650, Anne (d. 1701), daughter of Peter Barker of Darley Dale (Derbys), and had issue:
(1) John Bagshawe (1654-61), born 8 January 1653/4; died young and was buried at Chapel-en-le-Frith, 25 May 1661;
(2) Samuel Bagshawe (1656?-1706) (q.v.).
He was given Ford Hall at Chapel-en-le-Frith by his father in 1662.
He died 1 April and was buried at Chapel-en-le-Frith, 5 April 1702; his will was proved 27 April 1702 (effects £268, of which his library accounted for more than half). His wife died 11 November and was buried at Chapel-en-le-Frith, 14 November 1701.

Bagshawe, Samuel (1656?-1706). Only surviving son of Rev. William Bagshawe (1628-1702) of Ford Hall (Derbys) and his wife Ann, daughter of Peter Barker of Darley Dale (Derbys), probably born at Glossop, 31 December 1656. JP for Derbyshire; Churchwarden of Chapel-en-le-Frith, 1696-97. Described by a local nonconformist minister as 'a good scholar and a true Christian'. He married, 30 April 1685 at Sheffield, Sarah (1662-1703), daughter and co-heiress of Samuel Child of Holmes Hall, nr. Leeds (Yorks WR), and had issue including:
(1) William Bagshawe (1686-1756) (q.v.);
(2) An unnamed child (b. & d. 1688), born 7 June 1688; died and was buried at Chapel-en-le-Frith, the same day;
(3) Samuel Bagshawe (1689-1712) (q.v.);
(4) John Bagshawe (1695-1711), baptised at Chapel-en-le-Frith, 31 March 1695; educated at Ashton-under-Lyne (Lancs) and intended for the nonconformist ministry, but died young while at school, 10 October 1711;
(5) Robert Bagshawe (b. 1696), baptised at Chapel-en-le-Frith, 8 March 1695/6; probably died young
(6) Nathaniel Bagshawe (1697-1764), born at Ford, 30 January 1696/7 and baptised the following day; 'a very merry, good-natured man'; married Sarah (d. 1748) and had issue two sons and three daughters; was buried at Chapel-en-le-Frith, 1 April 1764;
(7) Septimus Bagshawe (1701-c.1739), baptised at Chapel-en-le-Frith, 25 May 1701; emigrated to Kingston (Jamaica) where he was a JP and probably acquired a plantation, but he suffered great losses from Spanish attacks and dissuaded his brother Nathaniel from emigrating on that account; living in September 1738 but probably died soon afterwards.
He inherited Ford Hall from his father in 1702. He inherited in right of his wife a moiety of the Holmes Hall estate, which was sold in 1694.
He died at Ford Hall, 9 December and was buried in the chancel at Chapel-en-le-Frith, 11 December 1706; his will was proved at Lichfield, 1706. His wife was buried at Chapel-en-le-Frith, 29 April 1703.

Bagshawe, William (1686-1756). Eldest son of Samuel Bagshawe (1656-1706) and his wife Sarah, daughter and heiress of Samuel Child of Holmes Hall, nr. Leeds (Yorks WR), baptised 4 May 1686. JP and DL for Derbyshire. He was a Whig in politics and a Presbyterian in religion, and supported a number of nonconformist ministers at different times, including one who acted as his secretary. He had a somewhat hasty temper (as appears by his correspondence with his nephew), and had often to be calmed down by his friends and advisers. He married, 26 October 1727 at Whittington (Derbys), Mary (1682-1754), daughter and heiress of John Wingfield of Hazleborough Hall and Norton House (Derbys), but had no issue.
He inherited Ford Hall from his father in 1706, rebuilt the south-west block of the house, reputedly in 1727, and laid out the deer park and gardens. At his death it passed to his nephew, Col. Samuel Bagshawe.
He died 26 November and was buried in the chancel at Chapel-en-le-Frith, 1 December 1756; his will was proved 30 August 1757. His wife died 15 January, and was buried at Chapel-en-le-Frith, 19 January 1754; her will was proved 30 March 1758.

Bagshawe, Samuel (1689-1712). Second son of Samuel Bagshawe (1656-1706) and his wife Sarah, daughter and heiress of Samuel Child of Holmes Hall, nr. Leeds (Yorks WR), baptised 1 January 1689/90. He engaged in some shipping ventures, which turned out disastrously, and lost most of his personal estate as well as a similar sum lent him by his elder brother. He was described as "as a very sensible, serious young man, public-spirited, active for God". He married, 1 May 1711 at Bromborough (Cheshire), Frances (c.1684-1719), daughter of John Hardwarr of Bromborough Court (Cheshire), and had issue:
(1) Frances Bagshawe (1712-84), born about May 1712; married 1st, 15 September 1733 (sep. 1746) at St Bride, Fleet St., London, Stephen Peters (1708-49), and 2nd, 14 December 1755 at Hereford, Arnold Barroll (b. 1705); died without issue, early 1784; will proved 25 March 1784;
(2) Col. Samuel Bagshawe (1713-62) (q.v.).
He died 16 September 1712; his widow was granted administration of his goods, 10 February 1712/3. His widow was buried at Holy Trinity, Chester, 13 March 1719/20.

Bagshawe, Col. Samuel (1713-62). Only child of Samuel Bagshawe (1689-1712) and his wife Frances, daughter of John Hardwarr of Bromborough Court (Cheshire), born posthumously at Bromborough, May 1713. After the death of his mother in 1719/20, he was brought up by his uncle, William Bagshawe (d. 1756) of Ford Hall, who sent him to school at Knutsford (Cheshire), and then to study with a Mr. Ingram at Wakefield. In 1731 he and a companion ran away from Mr Ingram's establishment to join General Anstruther's Regiment of Foot, then stationed in Gibraltar, as a private soldier; he soon regretted this decision and appealed to his relatives to obtain his discharge, which they finally achieved in 1738, by which time his qualities and application had secured his advancement to Quartermaster Sergeant. In 1740 he returned to the Army with his uncle's blessing, as an officer in a regiment in Ireland (Ensign, 1740; Lt., 1741; Capt., 1742; Maj., 1746; Lt-Col., 1749; Col., 1760; his promotion to Maj-Gen. was pending at the time of his death); seconded to household of Lord Lieutenant of Ireland as Gentleman-at-Large, 1741-42; he lost a leg at the siege of L'Orient (France), 1746, and in India, where he was Second in Command of British forces under General Adlercron, the climate 'shattered his constitution' and he lost the sight in one eye; in 1760, when French invasion of Ireland was threatened, and he had despaired of promotion to command of a regiment, he volunteered to raise one (the 93rd) at his own expense, an offer which the Government accepted. MP for Tallow (Co. Waterford) in the Irish Parliament, 1761-62. JP (from 1761) and DL for Derbyshire. He married, 25 March 1751 at Castle Caldwell, Catherine (c.1730-1801), daughter of Sir John Caldwell, kt., of Castle Caldwell (Co. Fermanagh), and had issue:
(1) William Bagshawe (1752-55), born at Bandon (Co. Cork), 30 November, and baptised there about 15 December 1752; died at Manchester, and was buried at St. Ann, Manchester, 17 April 1755;
(2) Samuel Bagshawe (1753-1804) (q.v.);
(3) John Bagshawe (1758-1801) [for whom see my next post on the Bagshawe family of Wormhill and Oakes];
(4) Anne Bagshawe (1760-1811), born in Dublin and baptised at St Mary, Dublin, 7 May 1760; educated at Dublin, Clapham (Surrey) and Brussels (Belgium); married, 3 December 1799 in London, Michael Newton (d. 1803) of Culverthorpe (Lincs) and Barr's Court (Glos), MP for Beverley; died at her house in London, 19 June, and was buried with her husband at St James, Hampstead, 26 June 1811; by her will she left between £30,000 and £40,000 for charitable purposes;
(5) Richard Bagshawe (1761-64), born about 20 September and baptised 13 October 1761; died young and was buried at St Anne, Manchester, 8 September 1764;
(6) Rev. William Bagshawe (1763-1847) (q.v.).
He lived in England, Ireland and India, as his regimental postings directed, until he inherited Ford Hall from his uncle, William Bagshawe, in 1756. He instituted repairs at Ford in 1760.
He died at Reading, 16 August, and was buried there, 20 August 1762, but his body was later removed to Chapel-en-le-Frith; his will was proved in the PCC, 12 January 1763. His widow died in London, 19 July 1801, and was buried at St James, Hampstead, 25 July 1801.

Bagshawe, Samuel (1753-1804). Eldest surviving son of Col. Samuel Bagshawe (1713-62) and his wife Catherine, daughter of Sir John Caldwell, kt., of Castle Caldwell (Co. Fermanagh), born at Cork, 28 December 1753, and baptised there, January 1754. Educated at several different schools, including Repton (from which he ran away), an academy at Brunswick (Germany), Brasenose College, Oxford (matriculated 1774) and Lincoln's Inn (admitted 1775). DL for Derbyshire (from 1781), but he was never a justice of the peace. As a young man, he developed a taste for gambling and luxurious living, which meant he was constantly in debt; and after he came of age he was obliged to sell part of his landed property and the pictures from Ford Hall. He married, 21 August 1787, Catherine (d. 1828), daughter of John Inkster of London, but had no issue.
He inherited Ford Hall from his father in 1762 and came of age in 1774. He abandoned the house from about 1783-95, and pulled down part of it, while the rest became derelict. At his death it passed to his widow, and then in 1828 to his brother, Rev. William Bagshawe.
He died at Ford Hall, 16 May 1804, and was buried at Chapel-en-le-Frith, where he was commemorated by a large monument which had, however, disintegrated by the late 19th century. His widow died 10 April and was buried at Chapel-en-le-Frith, 17 April 1828; her will was proved at Lichfield, 16 July 1828.

Rev. William Bagshawe
Bagshawe, Rev. William (1763-1847). Youngest son of Col. Samuel Bagshawe (1713-62) and his wife Catherine, daughter of Sir John Caldwell, kt., of Castle Caldwell (Co. Fermanagh), born 6 January and baptised at Chapel-en-le-Field, 17 January 1763. Educated at Repton, Manchester Grammar School (head boy) and Brasenose College, Oxford (matriculated, 1783; BA 1787; MA 1790). Ordained deacon, 1789 and priest, 1790. Vicar of Chapel-en-le-Frith, 1790-92, Wormhill (Derbys), 1791-1842, Buckminster (where he built a new vicarage in 1815) and Sewstern (Leics), 1801-23, Barlow (Derbys), 1808-17, and Garthorpe (Leics), 1813-23; priest-in-charge of Isleworth (Middx), 1794-95; chaplain to the Duke of Devonshire at Buxton, 1795-98. Author of On Man: His Motives, their Rise, Operation, Opposition and Results, 1833. In the 1830s and 1840s he built schools and almshouses at Chapel-en-le-Frith and Barkstone (Leics). He married, 12 November 1798 at Staveley, Anne (1768-1844), daughter of Samuel Foxlowe of Staveley Hall (Derbys), sister and heiress of Lt-Gen. William Foxlowe (later Murray), and widow of Dr. Arthur Bedford (d. 1797), eldest son of John Bedford of Fairlawn House (Middx), and had issue:
(1) William Bagshawe (1802-18), born 15 December 1802 and baptised at Dronfield, 12 April 1803; died young, 9 November 1818;
(2) Mary Catherine Anne Bagshawe (1809-78) (q.v.).
He lived at Dronfield from the time of his marriage until 1807; he then leased Netherthorpe near Staveley until 1815, when he moved to the new parsonage at Buckminster. He inherited Banner Cross Hall in right of his wife on the death of Lt-Gen. Murray in 1818. Banner Cross Hall was being rebuilt to the designs of Jeffry Wyatt when he inherited it, and he completed these works and subsequently built a new service wing before moving in about 1823. He inherited Ford Hall from his elder brother's widow in 1828, and subsequently divided his time between Banner Cross and Ford Hall, which he remodelled in 1837-38.
He died 11 November and was buried at Chapel-en-le-Frith, 18 November 1847, where he is commemorated by a monument; his will was proved 21 February 1848. His wife died 5 November 1844.

Bagshawe, Mary Catherine Anne (1809-78). Only surviving child of Rev. William Bagshawe (1763-1847) and his wife Anne, daughter of Samuel Foxlowe of Staveley Hall (Derbys) and widow of Dr. Arthur Bedford, born at Netherthorpe, 2 April and baptised at Staveley, 9 September 1809. She married, 24 September 1829 at Chapel-en-le-Frith, Henry Marwood Greaves JP, DL (1793-1859) of Hesley Hall (Notts), third son of Lt-Col. George Bustard Greaves DL of Page Hall and Elmsall Lodge (Yorks), and had issue:
(1) William Henry Greaves-Bagshawe (1831-1913) (q.v.);
(2) Ellen Elizabeth Greaves (1836-99), born 18 November 1836 and baptised at Harworth, 27 April 1837; married, 23 April 1867 at Chapel-en-le-Frith, as his second wife, Maj. Charles Yelverton Balguy (1827-1900) of 42nd Royal Highlanders and had issue one daughter; died 29 December 1899 and was buried at Chapel-en-le-Frith, 3 January 1900;
(3) Francis Edward Greaves (1840-1908) of The Eaves (Derbys) and later of Plashett House, Ringmer (Sussex), born 23 May and baptised at Harworth (Notts), 1 December 1840; educated at Sheffield and Trinity College, Cambridge (admitted 1859); an officer in the Derbyshire Rifle Volunteers (Capt., 1866) and West Yorkshire Yeomanry Cavalry (Lt., 1869); JP for Derbyshire (from 1867); married, 11 December 1872 at Chapel-en-le-Frith, Emma (1848-1926), daughter of Thomas Storer Partington of Blackbrook (Derbys) and had issue three sons and five daughters; died 19 February 1908; will proved 16 June 1908 (estate £16,676).
Her husband inherited Hesley Hall (Notts) from his father in 1835, but exchanged it with his brother for property at Birchett, Stubley, Hill Top, Cowley and Dronfield in Derbyshire. She and her husband inherited Ford Hall and Banner Cross Hall on the death of her father in 1847. Her husband suffered heavy financial losses from unwise investments in the mining industry, and left the estate considerably embarrassed. After his death, she let Banner Cross Hall and lived mainly at Ford Hall.
She died 10 July and was buried at Chapel-en-le-Frith, 16 July 1878; her will was proved 23 August 1878 (effects under £4,000). Her husband died intestate, 10 March and was buried at Chapel-en-le-Frith, 16 March 1859.

Greaves-Bagshawe, William Henry (1831-1913). Elder son of Henry Marwood Greaves JP DL (1793-1859) of Hesley Hall (Notts), Banner Cross Hall and Ford Hall, and his wife Mary Catherine Anne, daughter of Rev. William Bagshawe, born at Hesley Hall (Notts), 13 August 1831 and baptised at Harworth (Notts), 5 April 1832. Educated privately and at Trinity College, Cambridge. He took the name Bagshawe by royal licence, 1853 and 1879. JP (from 1861) and DL for Derbyshire; High Sheriff of Derbyshire, 1895-96. He was a keen archaeologist and antiquarian, being elected a member of the Royal Archaeological Institute, 1853, and was author of The Bagshawes of Ford (1886). He was also active in church affairs as a vocal opponent of Roman Catholicism, and published excerpts from a manuscript of the 17th century 'Apostle of the Peak' as Seven serious charges against Popery (1869); he was churchwarden of Chapel-en-le-Frith for eleven years and also a supporter of local protestant nonconformist chapels. President of the Chapel-en-le-Frith Agricultural Society, 1872-85; President of the Chapel-en-le-Frith Savings Bank; and a Guardian of the Sheffield Assay Office. He married, 24 September 1856 at Abergele (Denbighs.), Martha (1829-1925), daughter of James Bowmer of Llancayo House (Monmouths) and Draycott (Derbys), and had issue:
(1) Mary Catherine Murray Greaves-Bagshawe (1857-1936), born at Ford Hall, Jul-Sep 1857 and baptised at Ecclesall; married, 7 December 1887, Edward Renshaw (d. 1908) of Woodlands (Cheshire), son of Henry Constantine Renshaw of Bank Hall, Chapel-en-le-Frith, and had issue two sons and one daughter; died 5 August 1936; will proved 23 October 1936 (estate £24,860);
(2) Frances Alice Devereux Greaves-Bagshawe (1860-1920) (q.v.);
(3) William Murray Caldwell Greaves-Bagshawe (1864-1901), born 19 October 1864 and baptised at Chapel-en-le-Frith, 16 January 1865; educated at Market Rasen (Lincs) and Trinity College, Cambridge; JP and DL for Derbyshire; an officer in Derbyshire Yeomanry (Lt.), who served in the Boer War; married 1st, 23 August 1888 at Rusholme (Lancs), Marie Louise (c.1865-91), only child of J.G. Silkenstadt of Rose Bank, Didsbury (Lancs) and 2nd, 25 July 1894 at St James, Piccadilly, Westminster (Middx), Lilian Florence (b. 1868) (who m2, 8 December 1904 in Bombay (India), Lt-Col. Oliver Carleton Armstrong DSO (1859-1932), son of Maj. W.C. Armstrong, and had issue), daughter of Edward Madoc-Jones of Glentworth, Oswestry (Shropshire), but had no issue; died in the lifetime of his father when he was drowned off the coast of Madagascar while returning from the Boer War, 20 May 1901; will proved 13 May 1902 (estate £2,060).
He inherited Ford Hall and Banner Cross Hall from his mother in 1878 but was already resident at Ford Hall before that. At his death both estates passed to his younger daughter and her husband.
He died 12 July and was buried at Chapel-en-le-Frith, 16 July 1913; his will was proved 25 August 1913 (estate £28,378). His widow died 19 June 1925, aged 95; her will was proved 8 April 1926 (estate £2,156).

Greaves-Bagshawe, Frances Alice Devereux (1860-1920). Younger daughter of William Henry Greaves-Bagshawe (1831-1913) of Ford Hall and Banner Cross Hall, and his wife Martha, daughter of James Bowmer of Lancayo House (Monmouths) and Draycott (Derbys), born at Ford Hall, 23 May and baptised at Chapel-en-le-Frith, 13 September 1860. She and her husband took the name Carver-Bagshawe by royal licence, 12 March 1914, but her husband later dropped the Carver. She married, 14 July 1886 at Chapel-en-le-Frith, Ernest Carver DL JP (1860-1936), cotton spinner and manufacturer, High Sheriff of Derbyshire in 1930, son of Thomas Carver JP of The Hollins, Marple (Cheshire), and had issue:
(1) twin, Dorothy Bagshawe Carver (1887-1944), born 14 June 1887; married 1st, 12 April 1913 at Holy Trinity, Brompton (Middx) (annulled 1930), Cdr. Hugh Beaumont Robinson DSO RN (1884-1968) and 2nd, 14 July 1930, as his second wife, Maj. Frank Hope Mackenzie Savile (1865-1950), but had no issue; died 20 March 1944; will proved 16 August 1944 (estate £24,271);
(2) twin, Lillian Robertson Bagshawe Carver (b. 1887), born 14 June 1887; married, 10 June 1914 at Holy Trinity, Brompton (Middx), Rev. Maj. Charles Horace Malden RM (d. 1937), vicar of Clavering (Essex), son of Charles Malden, recorder of Thetford, and had issue one son and one daughter; her date of death is unknown;
(3) Geoffrey Hamilton Bagshawe Carver (1889-1915), born 24 June 1889; educated at Harrow and Christ Church, Oxford; served with 1st Royal Dragoons (2nd Lt.), 1910-13 and 1914-15; farmer in Rhodesia, 1913-14; he was unmarried when he was killed in action at Hooge (Belgium), 13 May 1915;
(4) Francis Ernest Gisborne Bagshawe Carver (1893-1985) (q.v.).
She and her husband lived at Poise House, Hazel Grove until 1913. They inherited Ford Hall and Banner Cross Hall from her father in 1913. After her death he remodelled Ford Hall to the designs of Sir Percy Worthington. He sold Banner Cross Hall in 1932.
She died 16 June and was buried at Chapel-en-le-Frith, 19 June 1920; administration of her goods was granted to her husband, 14 August 1920 (estate £5,397). Her husband died 19 September and was buried at Chapel-en-le-Frith, 24 September 1936; his will was proved 12 December 1936 (estate £120,004).

Bagshawe, Francis Ernest Gisborne (1893-1985). Only surviving son of Ernest Carver (later Bagshawe) (1860-1936) and his wife Frances Alice Devereux, daughter of William Henry Greaves-Bagshawe of Ford Hall and Banner Cross Hall, born 19 September 1893. Educated at Harrow and Hertford College, Oxford. He served in the First World War with the Honourable Artillery Co., 1914-15, Lanarkshire Yeomanry, 1915-16 (Lt., 1915), Imperial Camel Corps, 1916-17 (Lt.) and Royal Tank Regiment, 1917-19 (Capt., 1918) and with the Royal Armoured Corps (Maj.) in the Second World War, 1939-42. JP (from 1944) and DL (from 1953) for Derbyshire; High Sheriff of Derbyshire, 1946; President of Hope Valley Sheep Dog Trials Association. He married, 27 April 1922 at Leek Wootton (Warks), Albinia Marian Dolben (1900-87), eldest daughter of Capt. Gilbert Dolben Paul of Theale (Berks), and had issue:
(1) Geoffrey Murray Bagshawe (1923-76), born 9 February 1923; educated at Stowe School; an officer in Royal Artillery, 1942-46; married, 22 August 1958, Barbara Alice (1916-78), daughter of Rev. C. Watson and formerly wife of Norman A.C. Smillie, but had no issue; died 19 October 1976; will proved 18 April 1977 (estate £16,622);
(2) Michael Christopher Bagshawe (b. 1926), born 27 May 1926; educated at Stowe School and Trinity College, Cambridge; an officer in the Derbyshire Yeomanry (Maj.); land agent; director of Harrowby estates, Sandon (Staffs), 2010-14; married, 23 June 1951, Patricia Jane (b. 1929), eldest daughter of Col. Sir  John Crompton-Inglefield of Parwich Hall (Staffs/Derbys) and had issue one son and one daughter; now living;
(3) Patrick Philip Bagshawe (1928-2005) of Church Farm, Whelford (Glos), born 17 January 1928; educated at Stowe School; an officer in 8th Hussars (Lt.) and Royal Armoured Corps (2nd Lt.); served in Korea, 1950-51; married, 11 April 1953, Sarah Anne (1933-2016), only daughter of Rupert Sydney Gilbey of Crudwell Court (Wilts) and had issue two sons and one daughter; died 25 June 2005; will proved 9 December 2005.
He occupied Snitterton Hall (Derbys) from 1928, purchased the freehold in 1930, and lived there until he inherited Ford Hall from his father in 1936. Ford Hall was sold in 1957 and divided into several units, and he then returned to Snitterton Hall, where he lived until his death; it was sold after the death of his widow in 1986. 
He died 2 April 1985, aged 91; his will was proved 24 July 1985 (estate £157,248). His widow died 4 November 1986; her will was proved 7 April 1987 (estate £22,629).


Burke's Landed Gentry, 1965, pp. 29-32; W.H. Greaves-Bagshawe, The Bagshawes of Ford, 1886; W.J. Andrew & Ernest Gunson, 'Ford Hall, Chapel-en-le-Frith and Banner Cross, near Sheffield', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal, vol. 31, 1909, pp. 139-66; Derek Linstrum, Sir Jeffry Wyatville, 1972, pp. 129-31, 229; M. Craven & M. Stanley, The Derbyshire country house, 2001, p. 273; C. Hartwell, Sir N. Pevsner & E. Williamson, The buildings of England: Derbyshire, 3rd edn., 2016, p. 231; R. Harman & Sir N. Pevsner, The buildings of England: Yorkshire, West Riding - Sheffield and the south, 2017, p. 607.

Location of archives

Bagshawe of Ford Hall and Banner Cross Hall: deeds, estate and family papers, 15th-19th cents. [John Rylands University Library, Manchester, BAG]; deeds, 17th cent. [Derbyshire Record Office, D7126]

Coat of arms

Or, a bugle-horn sable between three roses gules.

Can you help?

Here are a few notes about information and images which would help to improve the account above. If you can help with any of these or with other additions or corrections, please use the contact form in the sidebar to get in touch. Can anyone:

  • Provide additional portraits or photographs of members of this family whose names are given in bold above?

Revision and acknowledgements

This post was first published 27 December 2017.

1 comment:

  1. William Bagshawe (1628-1702, ‘The Apostle of the Peak’) clearly had a particular affection for Ashford-in-the-Water, Derbyshire, which may stem from his possible early education in the village, and also from the fact that his mother was a member of the Oldfield family, which had a long-established connection with Ashford. Ashford’s Cliff End Chapel was built for him. It was opened in 1701, but William died shortly thereafter, at which time his assistant, Revd John Ashe, assumed responsibility. (The histories of Ashford’s three Dissenting Chapels, and other matters, can be found in ‘The Life and Times of Revd John Reddaway Luxmoore (1829-1917)’ by Ian Pykett, ISBN 978-1-910489-82-6, June 2022.


Please leave a comment if you have any additional information or corrections to offer, or if you are able to help with additional images of the people or buildings in this post.