|Allan of Blackwell|
|Ordnance Survey 1" map, 7th Series, showing the relationship between Darlington, Blackwell Grange and Blackwell Hall.|
George (d. 1753) left the estate to his daughters, the last of whom, Anne Allan, died in 1785. She left the estates to her cousin, James Allan (1712-90), from whom they descended to his son, George (1736-1800), who was famous for his antiquarian collections - and especially archives - from across the north-east, and who operated a private press at Blackwell at which some items from his collection were printed. His son, George Allan (1767-1828), who was MP for Durham from 1813-18, sold Blackwell Hall to John Allan (1778-1844), who enlarged it. The two estates were reunited again by Robert Henry Allan (1802-79), who inherited the Grange in 1828 and the Hall in 1844. Having no surviving children, he bequeathed them to his cousin, Sir Henry Marshman Havelock VC (d. 1897), on condition that the latter took the additional name and arms of Allan.
The Havelocks were in origin a shipbuilding family from Sunderland, and William Havelock (1757-1837) made enough money to buy Ingress Park on the Thames at Greenhithe (Kent) in 1796, although he was obliged to sell it 20 years later. They were connected with the Allans through the marriage in 1792 of Robert Allan (1769-1813) and Hannah Havelock (d. 1837), sister of the owner of Ingress Park. William Havelock's four sons were all army officers, and in the 19th century the family had an exceptionally strong military tradition, which saw several of them killed in action and a grandson, Sir Henry (1830-97), awarded the VC and created a baronet. It was this Sir Henry who inherited the Blackwell estates in 1879, and when he was killed by the Afridis in 1897 both Blackwell Grange and Blackwell Hall passed to his son, Sir Henry Spencer Moreton Havelock-Allan (1872-1953), 2nd bt. He died without issue and the title passed to two of his nephews in turn, and the 3rd baronet ended the family's association with Blackwell by selling the estates to Darlington Corporation. Blackwell Hall was demolished for housing development in about 1972; Blackwell Grange survives and is now an hotel. A golf course occupies part of the grounds of both houses.
Blackwell Grange, Darlington, Co. Durham
|Blackwell Grange Hotel: the east (entrance) front. Image: Camera A/Bruhenny Grange Hotel Ltd.|
A handsome brick mansion, built in three main phases. The core is the five bay, three-storey centre of c.1693-1710. To this was added the two storey south range, which is as tall as the original building. It has five bays on the east front and ten (originally seven) to the south, and appears to date from 1717-22 (dates from rainwater heads), although the fenestration of the whole house must have been altered later.
|Blackwell Grange from an engraving of 1783. The northern part of the present east front did not then exist.|
The range north of the centre on the east front appears at a glance to match the south range but actually has more widely-spaced windows, and was not in existence in 1783, as the engraving above proves. It was perhaps built in the 1790s when George Allan's expanding archival and museum collections must have needed additional space. About 1900 the east front was extended to the north again by a single-storey range, the south front was extended to its present length, the entrance porch was added, and there were many internal alterations. Since the house became an hotel, a big flat-roofed extension with a prominent lift tower has been added to the west and north. The facades try to keep in keeping with the main building, but it is too big and unrelieved to be easily overlooked.
|Blackwell Grange: the staircase hall. Image: Bruhenny Grange Hotel Ltd.|
Inside, the house has a handsome top-lit hall with a staircase that starts as a single flight in the centre and divides in two at the half-pace to rise in two flights to the first floor landing, and one good 18th century room, the former state bedroom. In the early 19th century the house was full of George Allan's collections; Surtees described how his collection of pictures, ‘filled every pannel [and], gradually insinuated themselves along the passages, and clothed the walls of the great staircase’, but these were dispersed by his son. The grounds were landscaped in the early 18th century with avenues and a formal pond, but this layout was badly damaged by a severe storm in January 1790, and a new informal landscaping plan was adopted in 1802.
Descent: George Allan (1663-1744); to son, George Allan (1694-1753); to daughters, of whom the survivor, Anne Allan (1718-85) bequeathed it to her cousin, James Allan (1712-90); to son, George Allan (1736-1800); to son, George Allan (1767-1828); to cousin, Robert Henry Allan (1802-79); to cousin, Sir Henry Marshman Havelock-Allan (1830-97), 1st bt.; to son, Sir Henry Spencer Moreton Havelock-Allan (1872-1953), after whose death it was sold.
Blackwell Hall, Darlington, Co. Durham
|Blackwell Hall, demolished c.1972. Image: Matthew Beckett|
Descent: George Allan (1663-1744); to son, George Allan (1694-1753); to daughters, of whom the survivor, Anne Allan (1718-85) bequeathed it to her cousin, James Allan (1712-90); to son, George Allan (1736-1800); to son, George Allan (1767-1828); sold 1807 to cousin, John Allan (1778-1844); to nephew, Robert Henry Allan (1802-79); to cousin, Sir Henry Marshman Havelock-Allan (1830-97), 1st bt.; to son, Sir Henry Spencer Moreton Havelock-Allan (1872-1953), after whose death it was sold.
Ingress Park, Greenhithe, Kent
Ingress Park was in origin an estate of Dartford Priory, which passed to the Crown at the Dissolution of the Monasteries and was sold in 1562. Between then and 1620 the first mansion appears to have been built on the site.
|Ingress Park, as depicted by John Kip in 1719.|
By 1719, when the house was depicted by John Kip, the front of the house facing the river had been recast in a fashionable Baroque style, but the awkward treatment of the facade, with a main range of six bays and a wing to the left which steps back in two stages, shows clearly that this was a remodelling of the earlier house and not a rebuilding. Kip's engraving shows the house had a fairly simple formal setting, but this seems to have been landscaped away by Lord Bessborough, who during his brief tenure altered both the house and grounds, giving it the appearance shown in an engraving by John Boydell.
|Ingress Park: detail of Boydell's engraving, showing the house after the remodelling for Lord Bessborough, c.1753|
When Lord Bessborough sold the estate in 1760 the purchaser was John Calcraft, later MP for Rochester, who remodelled the house to the designs of Sir William Chambers, reputedly at a cost of £5,000, and who did further work on the grounds, creating a greensward sweeping down to the river in the style of Capability Brown. Nothing is known of any subsequent changes to the house, before William Havelock began demolition c.1812-15.
|Ingress Park in an engraving published in 1821, when the house had just been demolished|
|Ingress Abbey after restoration, c.2010. Image: David Oldman|
|Ingress Abbey: interior showing the lavish use of imported continental woodwork, photographed before 1906.|
|Ingress Abbey: a cluttered Victorian drawing room in the house, photographed before 1906.|
Allan (later Havelock-Allan) family of Blackwell Grange
Allan, George (1663-1744), of Blackwell Grange. Sixth son of George Allan of Yarm (Yorks), baptised 9 August 1663. Settled at Darlington as a general merchant, making a substantial fortune as a supplier of salt to the Government. He is said also to have made a significant profit from South Sea Company stock, which he sold before the 'South Sea Bubble' burst in 1719. He married Anne (d. 1709), daughter of James Grundy, and had issue:
(1) James Allan (1686-1713), baptised 15 August 1686; died unmarried and was buried 17 December 1713;
(2) George Allan (1688-93), baptised 4 July 1688; died in childhood and was buried, 23 March 1693;
(3) Thomas Allan (1690-95), baptised 6 December 1690; died in childhood and was buried 15 August 1695;
(4) Jane Allan (1692-1726), baptised 20 July 1692; married, 1 October 1719, Robert Killinghall of Middleton St. George; buried at Middleton St. George, 1 March 1726;
(5) Dorothy Allan (1693-95), baptised 29 November 1693; died in infancy and was buried 18 February 1694/5;
(6) George Allan (1694-1753) (q.v.);
(7) Anne Allan (1696-1737), baptised 13 November 1696; died unmarried and was buried 6 November 1737;
(8) Hannah Allen (1698-1778), baptised 14 September 1698; married 13 December 1743, Farrow Eden of Darlington, attorney; died 15 December 1778, aged 80.
He purchased the manor of Nether Worsall, estates at Eryholme and a moiety of the manor of Dalton-upon-Tees (Yorkshire NR) and several estates in Co. Durham. He perhaps built and certainly added the south range to Blackwell Grange in 1717-22, before handing over the house and part of his estates to his surviving son, George Allan (1694-1753) in his lifetime.
He died 24 March 1743/4, aged 80; his will was proved at York, 31 May 1744. His wife died 7 and was buried 9 February 1709/10.
Allan, George (1694-1753) of Blackwell Grange. Son of George Allan (1663-1744) and his wife Anne, daughter of James Grundy, baptised 30 January 1694. JP for County Durham. He married, 13 August 1713, Thomasine (1692-1731), daughter and co-heir of Arthur Prescot of Blackwell, gent., and had issue:
(1) Anne Allan (1718-85), baptised 2 October 1718; died unmarried, 16 October 1785 and bequeathed the estate to her cousin, James Allan (1712-90);
(2) Catherine (Kitty) Allan (1719-53), baptised 19 June 1719; died unmarried and was buried, 10 June 1753;
(3) George Allan (b. & d. 1721), baptised 13 and buried 17 April 1721;
(3) Dorothy Allan (1722/3-60), baptised 14 March 1722/3; died unmarried, 1 October 1760.
He was given Blackwell Grange by his father. At his death his estates passed to his daughters and on the death of Anne in 1785 to their cousin, James Allan (1712-90).
He died 31 July 1753, aged 58, and was buried 5 August 1753. His wife was buried 11 June 1731.
Allan, James (1712-90) of Blackwell Grange and Barton (Yorks). Youngest of fourteen children of Nicholas Allan (1668-1716) of Yarm, born 23 October 1712. Trained as an attorney and practised in the Durham courts; appointed bailiff of Darlington in 1738 by the Bishop of Durham. Described as ‘a good lawyer and a very accurate antiquary’; but also, while affable to acquaintances, to be ‘peevish and austere to an excess’, and his relations with his sons were poor. He married, 18 November 1734 at Great Aycliffe, Elizabeth (1710-56), daughter of William Pemberton of Darlington, gent. and had issue:
(1) George Allan (1736-1800) (q.v.);
(2) James Allan (1738-1800), born 21 October and baptised 1 December 1738; DL for County Durham; died unmarried 26 September 1800;
(3) Robert Allan (1740-1806) (q.v.);
(4) Elizabeth Allan (1743-45), born 6 November and baptised 16 December 1743; died in infancy, 2 March 1745;
(5) Hannah Allan (b. 1746), born 29 September and baptised 24 November 1746; married, 20 July 1765, Jeremiah Rudd of Darlington, surgeon;
(6) Anne Allan (1749-67), born 19 March and baptised 8 April 1749; died unmarried, 28 August 1767;
(7) Susannah Allan (b. 1751), born 27 November 1751 and baptised 9 January 1752; married, 12 December 1770, Bristow Pease of Darlington.
He inherited Blackwell Grange from his cousin, Anne Allan, in 1785.
He died 19 January 1790, aged 77, and was buried at Darlington. His wife was buried at Darlington, 28 June 1756.
|George Allan (1736-1800) and William Hutchinson, antiquaries|
(1) George Allan (1767-1828) (q.v.);
(2) Anne Allan (c.1768-97); married, 4 September 1786, Capt. John Edward Wright (b. 1765) (who married 2nd, 1798, Agnes, daughter of John McKerrell of Hill House (Ayrshire)), of Bolton-on-Swale (Yorks) and had issue two sons and three daughters; died 21 March and was buried 24 March 1797;
(3) Elizabeth Allan (1769-93); baptised 15 June 1769; married, 2 November 1791 at St Cuthbert, Darlington (Co. Durham), Seymour Hodgson (1765-1802) of Richmond (Yorks), wine and spirit merchant and mayor of Richmond in 1797, son of Ambrose Hodgson of Darlington, grocer, and had issue one son and one daughter; buried at Darlington, 15 December 1793;
(4) Hannah Allan (b. & d. 1770); baptised 28 November 1770; died in infancy;
(5) James Allan (1772-95), born 23 and baptised 27 February 1772; educated at Trinity Hall, Cambridge (admitted 1788); Captain in 29th Foot; died unmarried of yellow fever on island of Grenada, 28 May 1795, aged 22;
(6) Dorothy Allan (d. 1821); died unmarried and without issue, 18 September1821.
He inherited the Blackwell Grange estate from his father in 1790.
He was paralysed by a stroke in July 1797 and died of a second stroke, 18 May 1800, aged 63, being buried in the family vault at Darlington church.
Allan, George (1767-1828) of Blackwell Grange. Son of George Allan (1736-1800) and his wife Anne, only daughter and heir of James Colling Nicholson of Scuton (Yorks), born 8 July and baptised 31 July 1767. Educated under Dr. Carr at Hertford and at Trinity Hall, Cambridge (admitted 1784; BA 1788; MA 1792) and at Middle Temple (admitted 1785; called to the bar, 1790). He shared his father's antiquarian interests, bought his library and collections (which were sold under his will) and continued them, but later sold the museum items to the Newcastle Literary and Philosophical Society and part of the archival materials to Durham Cathedral Library, where they remain; he was elected a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, 1812. He practised as a barrister on the Northern Circuit, 1790-1812; MP for City of Durham, 1813-18; he initially stood for re-election, but finding himself opposed and unable to bear the expense of a contested election, withdrew two days before the poll, and was subsequently obliged to live abroad. He was described as "a gentleman no less distinguished for his literary attainments than for an elegant, accomplished and generous mind." He married, September 1796, Prudence (d. 1844), daughter of William Williams, gent., but had no issue.
He inherited the Blackwell Grange estate from his father in 1800, and was reckoned a wealthy man, with an estate rental estimated in 1812 at over £10,000 a year.
He died at St. Omer (France), 21 July 1828, aged 61. His widow died 31 March 1844.
Allan, Robert (1740-1806) of Bishop Wearmouth. Youngest son of James Allan (1712-90) of Blackwell Grange and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of William Pemberton of Darlington, born 12 September and baptised 24 October 1740. He married, 23 February 1767, Elizabeth (1740-1808), daughter and co-heir of Robert Harrison of Sunderland, and had issue:
(1) Robert Allan (1769-1813) (q.v.)
(2) Sober Allan, died in infancy;
(3) Elizabeth Allan (1770-1810), born 19 December 1770; married John Maling of Bishop Wearmouth; died without issue, October 1810;
(4) Anne Allan (1772-1807), born 5 November 1772; died unmarried, 30 May 1807;
(5) James Allan, died in infancy;
(6) Catherine Allan (1776-96), born 17 November 1776; died unmarried, 13 May 1796;
(7) John Allan (1778-1844) (q.v.);
(8) Mary Allen (b. 1781), born 27 October 1781; married at Bishopwearmouth, 23 November 1802, Capt. John Henry Johnson of North Yorkshire Militia, son of Owen Johnson of Waterford, and had issue one son.
He died 28 March 1806 and was buried at Monkwearmouth. His widow died 31 December 1808.
Allan, Robert (1769-1813) of Newbottle (Durham). Elder son of Robert Allan (1740-1806) of Bishop Wearmouth and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Harrison of Sunderland, born 10 April 1769. He married, 20 December 1792, Hannah (d. 1837), daughter of William Havelock of Sunderland and had issue:
(1) James Allan (1793-94), born 16 October 1793; died in infancy, 22 April 1794 and was buried at Bishop Wearmouth;
(2) Elizabeth Anne Allan (1794-1854), born 6 December 1794; married, 21 May 1832, Benjamin Dunn of Hurworth (Durham) but died without issue, 25 December 1854;
(5) Anne Allan (b. 1800) of Wilton House, Darlington, born 17 January 1800;
(6) Robert Henry Allan (1802-79) (q.v.);
(7) John Allan (1803-44), of Dalton-upon-Tees, born 21 June 1803; married Eliza Jeffries (d. 1866) but died without issue, 18 March 1844;
(8) George Thomas Allan (b. 1804) of Eryholme (Yorks), born 11 October 1804; married 11 October 1843, Maria, daughter of Rev. Thomas Ramshaw of Brampton (Cumbld) but had no issue;
(9) Johanna Mary Allan (1806-57), born 16 January 1806; married, 22 September 1836, Edward Haygarth Maling of Sunderland and had issue one son; died 6 January 1857;
(10) James Allan (1807-33), born 2 December 1807; died unmarried, 26 March 1833;
(11) Mary Emma Allan (1809-69), born 26 April 1809; married 1st, 10 July 1837, William Wheatley (d. 1850) of London, and 2nd, 30 March 1853, Rev. Arthur Rudd, but died without issue, 2 February 1869;
(12) Caroline Jane Allan (1811-49), born 28 January 1811; married 1st, 28 September 1831, Capt. William Hunter Burne (d. 1844) of Durham Militia and had issue one son; married 2nd, 23 October 1845, John Murray esq.; died 30 November 1849.
He died 27 December 1813 and was buried at Monkwearmouth; his will was proved 13 May 1814. His widow died 9 January 1837.
Allan, John (1778-1844), of Blackwell Hall and Barton. Son of Robert Allan (1740-1806) and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Harrison of Sunderland, born 29 August 1778. JP for County Durham. Described by Edward Pease (whose standards were admittedly high) as having "many immoral stains attach[ing] to him". He was unmarried and without issue.
He purchased Blackwell Hall in about 1807 and extended it. At his death he bequeathed it to his nephew, Robert Henry Allan (1802-79) (q.v.).
He died 4 September 1844, aged 66.
Allan, Robert Henry (1802-79) of Blackwell Grange, Blackwell Hall and Barton. Son of Robert Allan (1769-1813) and his wife Hannah, daughter of William Havelock of Sunderland, born 22 January 1802 and baptised at Monkwearmouth. JP and DL for County Durham and North Riding of Yorkshire; High Sheriff of Co Durham, 1851-52. Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries. He married, 14 July 1841, Elizabeth (1808-82), daughter of John Gregson of Durham and Burdon (Durham), and had issue:
(1) Robert Killinghall Allan (1842-43), born 25 December 1842; died in infancy, 25 September 1843.
He inherited the Blackwell Grange estate from his cousin George in 1828 and Blackwell Hall from his uncle John in 1844. At his death he bequeathed the estates to his cousin, Sir Henry Marshman Havelock-Allan (d. 1897).
He died 28 October 1879 and is buried at Darlington West Cemetery, where he is commemorated by a table tomb; his will was proved 17 November 1879 (estate under £120,000). His wife died 15 March 1882; her will was proved 31 July 1882 (estate £6,253).
Havelock, William (1756-1837) of Ford Hall, Sunderland (Durham) and Ingress Park, Greenhithe (Kent). Son of William Havelock (1728-77) of Sunderland and his wife Anne, born 2 December 1756. Shipbuilder and shipowner, who built a substantial business but lost money through fraud by solicitors and uninsured shipping losses. He attempted to recoup his position by planning a scheme with John Rennie for new naval dockyards at Greenhithe on his own land, but the Admiralty Board decided that Sheerness and Chatham should be refitted instead and his speculation only added to his financial difficulties. He married, 16 August 1787, Jane (d. 1810), daughter of John Carter of Yarm (Yorks), solicitor, and had issue:
(1) Helen Havelock (1791-1830?), born 17 April 1791; died unmarried in 1825 or 1830;
(2) Lt-Col. William Havelock (1793-1848), born 23 January 1793; educated at Dartford Grammar School; aide de camp to Count von Alten at the Battle of Waterloo, 1815; appointed one of the first Knights of Hanover by the Prince Regent in recognition of his service at Waterloo, 1816; aide de camp to Sir Charles Colvile at Bombay; military secretary to Lord Elphinstone at Madras; Lt-Col. commanding 14th Light Dragoons; married at Poona (India), 1824, Caroline Elizabeth (1804-68), daughter of Acton Chaplin and had issue; died from wounds in action at the Battle of Ramnuggur in the Second Sikh War, 22 November 1848;
(3) Sir Henry Havelock (1795-1857) KCB (q.v.);
(4) Thomas Havelock (d. 1836); served in Spain under Sir De Lacy Evans; died unmarried of fever at Vittoria, 1836;
(5) Jane Havelock (1797-1883), born 28 November 1797; married, 15 March 1825, Capt. William Creak (1791-1858) RN and had issue three sons and three daughters; died 3 October 1883 and was buried at Greenwich Cemetery; will proved 30 October 1883 (estate £43);
(6) Isabella Langley Havelock (1801-25), born 11 January 1801; married, 25 July 1821, John Moore Cave (1796-1868) (who married 2nd, 1842, Maria Sigrest) and had issue one daughter; died at Leghorn (Italy), 1825.
(7) Lt-Col. Charles Frederick Havelock (1803-68), born 16 October 1803; Lt-Col. in the British Army and later Maj-General in the Ottoman Army and Brig-General in the Irregular Osmanli Cavalry in the Crimean War; married, 14 May 1833, Mary (d. 1889), daughter of James Wemyss, and had issue; died April 1868.
He first leased Ford Hall at Sunderland, Co. Durham (a house of 1785, demolished in 1924), but in 1796 purchased Ingress Park, Greenhithe, Kent which he was forced to sell in about 1816 because of losses in his business and the failure of his dockyard scheme. He is said to have begun demolishing the house between 1812 and 1815, and the Government (which purchased the estate) completed this process in 1820. The present Ingress Abbey was built in 1833.
He died in Exeter in 1837.
|Sir Henry Havelock (1795-1857)|
(1) Sir Henry Marshman Havelock (later Havelock-Allan) (1830-97), 1st bt., VC (q.v.);
(2) Joshua Havelock (1831-64), born 11 December 1831; Captain in Bombay Staff Corps and Assistant Commissioner in Punjab; married 16 December 1858, his cousin, Isabella Louisa (d. 1918), daughter of Capt. William Creak RN and had issue two sons; died 24 September and buried 30 September 1864 in Kensal Green Cemetery;
(3) Ettrick Havelock (1833-34), born 5 August 1833; died in infancy, 11 June 1834;
(4) Hannah Havelock (c.1838-86); died unmarried, 16 November 1886; will proved December 1886 and 15 November 1900 (estate £8,041);
(5) Honoria Havelock (c.1841-75); died unmarried;
(6) George Broadfoot Havelock (1847-1908), born 5 June 1847; served in North Staffordshire Regiment, 101st Royal Bengal Fusiliers, and Bengal Police; married 1st, 23 September 1873, Georgina Marian (d. 1888), daughter of James Crosby, barrister; and 2nd, 20 December 1888, Annie Helen (d. 1937), daughter of Henry Browne Beresford and had issue one son; died at Bournemouth, 20 April 1908; will proved 30 May 1908 (estate £696).
He died of diarrheoa at Lucknow, 24 November 1857, but is commemorated by a statue in Trafalgar Square, London. His widow died 25 August 1882; her will was proved 27 September 1882 (estate £7,097).
|Statue of Sir Henry Havelock in Trafalgar Square, London. There is another in Sunderland.|
Image: Richard George via Wikimedia. Licenced under this Creative Commons licence.
|Sir Henry Havelock-Allan VC|
"Havelock is still here as mad as ever: I received a letter from him yesterday, begging to have it sent home as it was a request to be re-employed, etc. etc., in his usual strain. I am extremely sorry for him, and feel for him very much, but still feel that he can never be employed again: he is not sane enough to argue with"
He was created a baronet. 22 January 1858, an honour originally intended for his father; appointed CB, 1866; KCB, 1897. Liberal (later Liberal Unionist) MP for Sunderland, 1874-81 and for South East Durham, 1885-92 and 1895-97; DL for Co. Durham. He changed his name to Havelock-Allan on 17 March 1880, as a condition of inheriting the estates of his cousin, Robert Henry Allan (q.v.). He married, 10 May 1865, Lady Alice (1843-1922), daughter of Henry George Francis Reynolds-Moreton (1802-53), 2nd Earl of Ducie, and had issue:
(1) Alice Margaret Havelock (d. 1867); died in infancy at Montreal (Canada), 9 June 1867;
(2) Ethel Havelock-Allan (1867-1941), born at Montreal (Canada), 1 November 1867; married, 18 October 1886, Joseph Albert Pease (1860-1943), 1st Baron Gainford, and had issue one son and two daughters; died at Headlam Hall, Gainford (Co. Durham), 22 October 1941; will proved 2 June 1942 (estate £3,682);
(3) Sir Henry Spencer Moreton Havelock-Allan (1872-1953), 2nd bt. (q.v.);
(4) Allan Havelock-Allan (1874-1949) (q.v.).
He inherited the Blackwell Grange and Blackwell Hall estates from his cousin, Robert Henry Allan, in 1879.
He was killed by the Afridis while visiting troops on the Afghan border, 30 December 1897 and was buried at Rawalpindi; his will was proved 15 March 1898 (estate £11,806). His widow died at Headlam Hall, Gainford, 22 December 1922; her will was proved 27 February 1923 (estate £7,637).
Havelock-Allan, Sir Henry Spencer Moreton (1872-1953), 2nd bt. Elder son of Sir Henry Marshman Havelock-Allan (1830-97), 1st bt., and his wife Lady Alice Moreton, daughter of 2nd Earl of Ducie, born in Dublin, 30 January 1872. Educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge (admitted 1891). Served in Durham Light Infantry and 17th Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers (Major; wounded, 1916); Liberal MP for Bishop Auckland, 1910-18; Parliamentary Private Secretary to Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, 1911-14 and to Under-Secretary of State for India, 1912-14. Succeeded his father in the baronetcy, 1897; JP for Durham (where he was chairman of the bench) and North Riding of Yorkshire; DL for Co. Durham. He married 1st, 12 November 1903, Edith (c.1872-1935) OBE JP, daughter of Thomas Charles John Sowerby of Snow Hall, Darlington and 2nd, 30 April 1936 (annulled 1937) Mary Isobel (d. 1962), daughter of Henry Sharpe Gordon OBE of Yateley Place (Hants), and 3rd, 7 December 1937, (Doris) Pamela (1891-1988) SSSt.J, daughter of Sir Maurice Levy, 1st bt., but died without issue.
He inherited the Blackwell Grange and Blackwell Hall estates from his father in 1897. At his death they passed to his nephew, Sir Henry Ralph Moreton Havelock-Allan (1899-1975), 3rd bt.
He died 28 October 1953 and his will was proved 11 February 1954 (estate £49,459). His first wife died 9 January 1935 and her will was proved 11 March 1935 (estate £2,490); his second wife died 15 April 1962, and his widow died 23 December 1988.
Havelock-Allan, Allan (1874-1949). Younger son of Sir Henry Marshman Havelock-Allan (1830-97), 1st bt., and his wife Lady Alice Moreton, daughter of 2nd Earl of Ducie, born 30 March 1874. He served in WW1 as a Lieutenant in North Yorks Artillery, describing his occupation as 'race horse trainer' when he joined up. He married 1st, 26 May 1897 (divorce, 1913), Anne Julia (d. 1953), daughter of Sir William Chaytor, 3rd bt., and 2nd, 1914, Aline Constance Caroline (d. 1967), daughter of Edward Beresford, and had issue:
(1.1) Hope Aline Havelock-Allan (1898-1988), married 1st, 1 July 1925 (divorce, 1933), Graeme Stewart Lockhart Whitelaw (d. 1962), son of Graeme Alexander Lockhart Whitelaw of Brockham Park, Betchworth (Surrey) and had issue; married 2nd, 2 August 1934 (divorce 1947), George William Lawies Jackson (1903-91), 3rd Baron Allerton; died 1988.
(1.2) Sir Henry Ralph Moreton Havelock-Allan (1899-1975), 3rd bt. (q.v.);
(1.3) Clervaux Havelock-Allan (b. & d. 1901), born 27 March 1901; died in infancy;
(1.4) Sir Anthony James Allan Havelock-Allan (1904-2003), 4th bt. (q.v.);
(1.5) Barbara J. Havelock-Allan (1907-37), born Jan-Mar 1907; married, Oct-Dec 1928, John A. Ellert; died Jul-Sep 1937;
(2.1) Diana Constance Havelock-Allan (1914-2011), born 3 April and baptised 7 June 1914; educated at St Monica's, Warminster (Wilts); married, Jul-Sep 1939, Evelyn Francis Scott (1907-81) and had issue five sons and two daughters; died 29 July 2011; will proved 12 January 2012;
(2.2) Gervaise George Michael Havelock-Allan (1921-2006), born 24 August 1921; married, Oct-Dec 1946, Rhoda (b. 1922), daughter of Thomas Beard of Swansea and had issue one son and one daughter; died 1 January 2006; will proved 21 March 2006;
(2.3) Nancy Stella Havelock-Allan (1924-2015), born Oct-Dec 1924; married, 24 March 1948, Maj. Patrick Thorvald Auchmuty Musters (1923-2003), second son of Capt. John Domvile Auchmuty Musters DSC RN of Brookhill House, Claremorris, Mayo, and had issue one son and three daughters; died 30 March 2015.
He lived at Drax House, Tilshead (Wilts), a village house built in 1900.
He died 7 November 1949.
Havelock-Allan, Sir Henry Ralph Moreton (1899-1975), 3rd bt. Eldest son of Allan Havelock-Allan (1874-1949) and his first wife, Anne Julia, daughter of Sir William Chaytor, 3rd bt., born 31 August 1899. Educated at Sandroyd School and Charterhouse. Served as a Lieutenant in Scots Guards. He was unmarried and without issue.
He inherited the Blackwell Grange and Blackwell Hall estates from his uncle in 1953, but sold them to Darlington Corporation.
He died 4 November 1975.
Havelock-Allan, Sir Anthony James Allan (1904-2003), 4th bt. Third son of Allan Havelock-Allan (1874-1949) and his first wife, Anne Julia, daughter of Sir William Chaytor, 3rd bt., born 28 February 1904. Educated at Charterhouse and in Switzerland. After short-term work as a stockbroker, jeweller, record company executive and cabaret manager he entered the film industry in 1935 and became a successful and prolific film producer, 1935-70 and executive, working with British & Dominions film studios, 1935-37 and co-founding Cineguild, 1943, Constellation Films, 1947; and British Home Entertainment, 1958; won Oscar nominations as co-screenwriter for Brief Encounter, 1946 and Great Expectations, 1946. He married 1st, 12 April 1939 (divorce, 1952), the actress, Valerie Hobson (who married 2nd, 1954, John Profumo, the minister at the centre of the Profumo Affair, and died 1998), younger daughter of Commander Robert Gordon Hobson RN, and 2nd, 26 June 1979, Maria Theresa Consuela (Sara) (d. 2017), daughter of Don Carlos Ruiz de Villafranca, of Madrid (Spain), and had issue:
(1.1) Simon Anthony Henry Havelock-Allan (1944-91), born 6 May 1944; died, 31 January 1991;
(1.2) Sir (Anthony) Mark David Havelock-Allan (b. 1951), 5th baronet, born 4 April 1951; educated at Eton, Durham University (BA 1972), Trinity College, Cambridge (LLB 1974; Diploma in International Law, 1976) and Inner Temple (called to bar, 1974; bencher, 1995); barrister, 1974-93; Assistant Recorder, 1993-97; Recorder, 1997-2001; Senior Circuit Judge, 2001-; married, 1st, 24 March 1976 (divorce 1984), Lucy Clare, younger daughter of Alexander Plantagenet Mitchell-Innes and 2nd, 22 May 1986, Alison Lee Caroline, daughter of Leslie Francis Foster and has issue one son (Henry Caspar Francis Havelock-Allan, heir apparent) and two daughters; now living.
He died 11 January 2003, aged 98; for his obituary in the Daily Telegraph, see here. His first wife died in 1998. His widow died 26 February 2017.
Crest Homes, History of Ingress Abbey (typescript), 2009; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Havelock-Allan; http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1790-1820/member/allan-george-1767-1828; http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/355; http://www.darlington.gov.uk/dar_public/documents/_Place/PolicyRegeneration/PlanningPolicy/MGP/Blackwell_Grange_park_statement_of_significance.pdf.
Location of archives
Havelock-Allen family, baronets: deeds, wills, estate and household records, personal papers and correspondence, antiquarian collections, maps and plans, 1436-1891 [North Yorkshire Record Office ZDG]
Allan, George (1736-1800), antiquary: collections [Durham Cathedral Library ALL]; correspondence [Bodleian Library, Oxford: MS. Eng. lett. b.12-13, c.132, c.135, d.5; MS. Don. d.53, d.87-90; MS. North b.4]; correspondence of various antiquaries transcribed by him [Society of Antiquaries of London, MS. 222]
Coat of arms
Allan: Sable, a cross potent quarter pierced or, charged with four guttes de sang, in chief two lions' heads erased of the second, all within a bordure engrailed erminois.
Havelock: Vert, a castle argent between two fleurs-de-lis in chief and a cross crosslet fitchee in base or.
Revision and acknowledgements
This account was first published 24 November 2013, and revised 4 April 2015, 29 December 2016, 6 March 2017, 23 September 2018, 18 October 2021 and 18 May 2022. I am most grateful to Gerry Murphy for supplying images of Blackwell Grange and to Matthew Pease and David Haworth for corrections.