|Ashby of Quenby|
George Ashby (1539-1618) inherited the Quenby estate from his father in 1557 and united the two branches of the family when he also inherited the Lowesby estate from his cousin, Thomas Ashby, in 1604. George sent all four of his sons to Trinity College, Cambridge, and one of them, William Ashby (c.1587-1635), went on to become a Fellow of the college. George's heir was his eldest son, George Ashby (c.1581-1653), who was High Sheriff in 1627 and who sold the Lowesby estate and was responsible for building the Jacobean house at Quenby Hall in the 1620s. The latest date on the house seems to be 1631, although family tradition asserted that building continued until 1636. During the Civil War, George appears to have been a moderate Parliamentarian, but there is no record of him or any of his sons being involved in the fighting. His younger sons seem to have been sent into trade as London or overseas merchants, but not even his heir, George Ashby (1629-72) seems to have been sent to university or the inns of court, and this was perhaps a reflection of the disruption of the times.
In 1652, the year before he inherited Quenby, George Ashby (1629-72) married Mary, the daughter and heiress of Euseby Shuckburgh of Naseby (Northants), and through her he acquired an estate at Naseby. At his death he left both estates to his eldest son, George Ashby (1656-1728) but both his second son, Shuckburgh Ashby (1660-1750) and his third son, Euseby Ashby (1662-1741), who was a Fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge, also bought land in Leicestershire. As Euseby proved to be childless he left his property to Shuckburgh's son, Shuckburgh Ashby (1690-1752), so that by the mid 18th century there were once again two branches of the family settled on separate estates, centered on Quenby and Blaby.
George Ashby (1656-1728), who was twice High Sheriff of Leicestershire and twice MP for the city of Leicester, was remembered for his honesty in politics and his tree-planting on the Quenby estate. Like his father he married an heiress, Hannah Waring, who brought him a portion of £9,000. At his death, George had three surviving sons, but it would seem that he had fallen out with the elder two, as Quenby and Naseby were left to his youngest son, Waring Ashby (1697-1770), and there were only bitter words in his will for John (1687-1756) and Edmund (1690-1775). John subsequently inherited his mother's jointure property, The Lynches, near Shrewsbury, which descended in turn to his son, Edmund Ashby (1729-85) and then one of the latter's daughters.
Waring Ashby (1697-1770), as we have seen, inherited both Quenby and Naseby, but in 1759 he sold Quenby to his cousin, Shuckburgh Ashby (1724-92), who had previously sold his father's Blaby estate, and who modernised the house at Quenby. In return, Shuckburgh leased Haselbech Hall to Waring's son, George Ashby (1725-1802) from 1769 onwards. Thus in the late 18th century there were three branches of the family: George Ashby at Haselbech and Naseby; Shuckburgh Ashby at Quenby; and Edmund Ashby at The Lynches. This represented the apogee of the family fortunes. When George died in 1802, Haselbech was given up (and later sold), and the Naseby estate passed to his cousin, Rev. George Ashby (1724-1808), a bachelor antiquarian with a living in Suffolk, and from him to Edmund Ashby's younger daughter, Hannah Maria Maddock (1763-1830). Shuckburgh Ashby (1724-92) died without sons, so Quenby passed first to his childless younger brother, Nathaniel Ashby (1730-1801) and then back to Shuckburgh's elder daughter, Mary Elizabeth Latham (1747-1815), who resumed her maiden name of Ashby in 1807. Her son and heir, William Ashby Latham (1775-1848) also changed his name back to Ashby, and so Quenby continued to be held by Ashbys through the 19th century, passing to William's childless sons, Shuckburgh Ashby (1798-1857) and the Rev. Edward Quenby Ashby (1805-71) and then to their niece, Anne Ashby (1837-86), who married a Cambridge don called Nicholas Hermann Bernard (1825-90) but changed her name back to Ashby on inheriting the estate. They leased Quenby and never occupied the house, and their son, George Ashby Hermann Ashby (1866-1947), who was an undischarged bankrupt when he inherited, leased the estate until he finally sold it in 1904.
Hannah Maria Maddock (1763-1830) inherited the Naseby estate in 1808 but lived at a house called Greenfields in Shrewsbury. Her only son, the Rev. George Ashby Maddock (1788-1836) inherited Naseby but survived his mother by only six years, and also lived at Greenfields. After he died, his widow and his only son and heir, George Ashby Maddock (1834-90), who took the name Ashby in 1857, seem to have moved to Northamptonshire. In the year George came of age he married and bought a fairly new late Georgian house called Woolleys adjoining his Naseby estate as the property he inherited did not include a house of any consequence. George remodelled the house to designs of E.F. Law and settled down to a life of farming, but in 1887 he was bankrupted by the Agricultural Depression (and perhaps by the cost of raising his enormous family of thirteen children).
|Plas Dolguog, Machynlleth|
Because the estate was entailed, George was only a life tenant and the freehold of the estate was protected from his bankruptcy, but his life interest was sold and he moved to a more modest house near Machynlleth in Wales, Plas Dolguog. When he did three years later, his son, Col. George Ashby Ashby (1856-1937) inherited the Naseby estate but he was a career soldier and the estate remained let. When he retired from the army in 1904 he sold the estate and bought a small house at Hassocks (Sussex). Thus coincidentally the interest of the Ashby family in both the Quenby and Naseby estates ended in the same year, 1904.
Quenby Hall, Hungarton, LeicestershireNothing survives of the pre-Jacobean house at Quenby apart from a single wide-arched fireplace in the basement of the south-east wing. The present house was built in 1620-31 for George Ashby and remodelled internally for Shuckburgh Ashby (d. 1792) after he acquired it in a dilapidated condition in 1759. His Georgian interiors were all swept away by Bodley, c.1905-07 and J.A. Gotch, c.1907-13, who installed new Jacobean interiors for Mrs. Greaves (later Lady Henry Grosvenor); Gotch's work in particular is informed by his detailed study of the period, and is a mixture of his own designs, genuine Jacobean features brought in from elsewhere, and features copied from other houses.
|Quenby Hall: west front of 1620-31. Image: © Jez Taylor/Pictures of England|
The symmetrical H-shaped Jacobean house of brick with stone dressings stands on a gentle rise, surrounded by a broad terrace made by Shuckburgh Ashby. It is tall, severe and undecorated, with a straight parapet reminiscent of Doddington Hall (Lincs), which gives it a rather old-fashioned look. On the west (entrance) front, the brickwork is given some variety by diapering with vitrified blue bricks. The entrance is in a projecting central porch which is square on the ground floor but has chamfered corners above, and which rises above the roof in a short blunt flat-topped tower with a rather nominal bit of strapwork cresting above the entrance. To either side of this is a single two light window on each floor, then a full-height canted bay window, and then the short projecting wings which again have full-height canted bay windows in their ends.
|Quenby Hall: east front.|
The east front is even plainer, with just a single canted bay in the centre of the house and intruded angles between the hall range and the wings, which form garderobe turrets. The north elevation to the service court is irregular; the south return elevation is symmetrical but severely plain. The roof was renewed and some of the parapet rebuilt by Shuckburgh Ashby in 1767.
Rather little is known about the internal alterations 'in a style of great propriety' of the 1760s because they were largely unpicked in the early 20th century by Bodley and Gotch, but one key development was to remove the floor between the single-storey great hall and the great chamber above, and to move the great chamber fireplace down to the ground floor. This, and the fact that the Jacobean exterior was not significantly altered, makes it possible that some of Shuckburgh Ashby's alterations were in a neo-Jacobean style, which, although not common at this period, is known from houses such as Audley End (Essex) and Chavenage (Glos). The porch leads into a screens passage in the traditional way, and the wooden screen is thought to be original, but with fluted columns and strapwork cresting added by Gotch. Bodley reinstated the floor between the hall and great chamber, and moved the fireplace back to the upper room. The hall now has a stone chimneypiece with an overmantel brought here by the de Lisles when Garendon Park was demolished in 1964.
|Quenby Hall: staircase. Image: Historic England/NMR|
At the upper end of the hall, in the middle of the cross-wing, is the main staircase, lit by a lantern copied from one at Knole (Kent). It has fairly slim balusters of a vertically symmetrical shape and a deep handrail, but later (1767?) Doric newel posts and finials. On either side of the staircase in the cross-wing is a single room. One is fitted out as a library, with a rich 17th century style ceiling copied by Gotch from one originally in the Reindeer Inn at Banbury and a fireplace by E.W. Pugin from Garendon. The other room, the so-called Brown Parlour, has a slightly coarser 17th-century style plaster ceiling, elaborate panelling with tiers of arcading and pilasters with strapwork, and a stone fireplace with strapwork, pilasters and niches which could be original.
|Quenby Hall: Brown Parlour|
|Quenby Hall: dining room|
At the service end of the hall, Gotch threw two service rooms into one to form a dining room, with panelling taken from some of the upper rooms in the house and a chimneypiece copied from one at Wraxall Manor (Wilts). To one side of this is the 18th century dining room, with a classical cornice and chimneypiece, and beyond that is the kitchen, which preserves Gibbs rustication around the fireplace and two additional arches.
|Quenby Hall: Great Chamber in the early 20th century.|
Over the hall is the Great Chamber recreated by Bodley, with a ceiling copied from the ballroom at Knole and panelling moved from the upper rooms. The great chimneypiece here has the richest Jacobean decoration in the house, with coupled tapering pilasters flanking the fireplace and on the overmantel paired fluted Corinthian columns carried on big brackets. The centrepiece of the overmantel is an achievement of the Ashby arms, with lush foliage mantling, and rich strapwork in high and low relief.
|Quenby Hall: the bedroom with a frieze of pomegranates copied from Chastleton.|
A bedroom in the southern cross-wing has 17th century panelling with lozenges, articulated by pilasters with angels carved in low relief on the pedestals, but the elements do not belong together or indeed to the room. The frieze with winged grotesques is copied from one at Sizergh. The other bedrooms are also largely early 20th century recreations, and one has a frieze of pomegranates copied form Chastleton (Oxon). The top floor no doubt originally had a long gallery, but it was subdivided in the 18th century; another room at this level is painted with pilasters in grisaille.
In the grounds, the stable court is fundamentally 17th century but altered later; a room at the south-east corner was fitted out as a Roman Catholic chapel for the de Lisles. When the Hall was built, the remains of the deserted village of Quenby seem to have been adapted as formal garden features. These continue the line of the modern axial path down the centre of the south lawn with, successively, a terrace, a moat, a linear pond or canal and finally a second moat, and adjoining the west side of the terrace is a further level area, on the west side of which is what has been interpreted as a prospect mound.
|Quenby Hall, painted in the 1740s, showing a double avenue of trees on the main western axis.|
These features were no doubt removed when formal gardens were created for George Ashby (d. 1728) in the early 18th century, or when his gardens were in turn removed to make way for a more open landscaped setting by Shuckburgh Ashby in the 1760s. A series of fine early 18th century wrought-iron gates which he donated to Leicester Infirmary are now at the Newarke Houses Museum. Gotch recreated a formal forecourt with diapered brick walls, but these have since been removed again except on the south side. Formal gardens were laid out south and east of the hall in the early 20th century, and Harold Peto was consulted on their design, although it is not clear how much input he had into the scheme as executed. These in turn have now largely gone, although the formal layout in the former kitchen garden survives.
Descent: George Ashby (1539-1618); to son, George Ashby (c.1581-1653); to son, George Ashby (1629-72); to son, George Ashby (1656-1728); to son, Waring Ashby (1697-1770), who sold 1659 to Shuckburgh Ashby (1724-92); to brother, Nathaniel Ashby (1730-1801); to niece, Mary Elizabeth (1747-1815), wife of William Latham (1742-1807), who resumed her maiden name of Ashby in 1808; to son, William Ashby Latham (later Ashby) (1775-1848); to son, Shuckburgh Ashby (1798-1857); to brother, Rev. Edward Quenby Ashby (1805-71); to niece, Anne (1837-86), wife of Nicholas Hermann Bernard (later Ashby) (1825-90); to son, George Ashby Hermann Ashby (1866-1947) who sold 1904 to Rosamond Seymour-Greaves (d. 1941), later wife of Lord Henry Grosvenor (1861-1914); estate broken up 1920 and sold mainly to tenants; house sold with 423 acres in 1923 to Sir Harold Nutting (1882-1972); sold 1972 to De Lisle Family Trust, which sold c.2014. The house was usually let in the early and later 19th century (tenants included Rev. P.L. Story, 1820).
Naseby Hall (alias Woolleys), Northamptonshire
|Naseby Hall in c.1929.|
The house, originally called Woolleys, was first built in 1818 for the Fitzgerald family, but was sold c.1850 to Viscount Clifden of Holdenby. He sold it in 1855 to George Ashby Maddocks (later Ashby) who remodelled it to the design of E.F. Law. In 1907 it was enlarged again for Leslie Renton, who probably added the two-storey block with a bay window on the end elevation.
|Naseby Hall, after the fire of 1948.|
The main part of the house was gutted by fire in 1948 and the surviving service wing was remodelled and extended to form a much smaller neo-Georgian house in the early 1950s by R.J. Page for Sir Roland Findlay, 3rd bt. It was again restored after 1972 for Sir Charles Rowley, 7th bt. and is now the property of his son.
Descent: Edward Shuckburgh; to son, Euseby Shuckburgh; to daughter Mary (c.1628-1721), wife of George Ashby of Quenby Hall (1629-72); to son, George Ashby (1656-1728); to son, Waring Ashby (1697-1770); to son, George Ashby (1725-1802); to cousin, Rev. George Ashby (1724-1808); to first cousin once removed, Hannah Maria (1763-1830), wife of John Maddock (d. 1823); to son, Rev. George Ashby Maddock (1788-1836); to son, George Ashby Maddock (later Ashby) (c.1834-90), who bought Woolleys House from Viscount Clifden of Holdenby; when he was bankrupted in 1887 he moved to Machynlleth and his life interest in Naseby was sold to Capt. Stanley Munday; freehold passed to his son, Col. George Ashby Ashby (1856-1937), who sold 1904 to Leslie Alexander Renton who renamed the house Naseby Hall; sold 1934 to Capt. (later Sir) Ronald Findlay, bt.; sold 1964 to Mr. Davies, who let to Capt. Strong; sold c.1966 to Rex Kursley of United Dairies; sold 1972 to Sir Charles Robert Rowley (1926-2008), 7th & 8th bt., who restored it; to son, Sir Richard Charles Rowley (b. 1959), 8th & 9th bt. The house was let 1922-34 including to the Duke & Duchess of York for the hunting seasons of 1928-9 and 1929-30.
Ashby family of Naseby Hall and Quenby Hall
Ashby, George (1539-1618). Only son of Robert Ashby (1517-57) and his wife Barbara, daughter of George Ashby, born 17 October 1539. High Sheriff of Leicestershire, 1601. He married Mary (b. 1555), daughter of Andrew Gedney of Enderby (Lincs), and had issue:
(1) George Ashby (c.1581-1653) (q.v.);
(2) Henry Ashby (b. c.1582; fl. 1638); educated at Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1598; BA 1602/3; MA 1606); living in 1638;
(2) William Ashby (c.1587-1635); educated at Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1604; BA 1608/9; MA 1612); Fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge; will proved 1635;
(4) Thomas Ashby (c.1589-1639); educated at Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1604); farmer at Billesdon (Leics); died unmarried; will proved 9 July 1639;
(5) Anne Ashby; married Gervase Teverey (c.1574-1639) of Stapleford (Notts) and had issue one son and three daughters; commemorated with her husband by an elaborate monument at Stapleford;
(6) Dorothy Ashby; probably died unmarried;
(7) Bridget Ashby; probably died unmarried.
He inherited the Quenby estate from his father in 1557 and the Lowesby estate from his cousin, Thomas Ashby in 1604.
He died at Quenby, 5 April 1618. His wife's date of death is unknown: the assertion in some sources that she died in 1667 is untenable and she was almost certainly dead by 1638 as she is not mentioned in her son Thomas' will.
Ashby, George (c.1581-1653). Only son of George Ashby (1539-1618) and his wife Mary, daughter of Andrew Gedney of Enderby (Lincs), born at Quenby about 1581. Educated at Trinity College, Cambridge (admitted 1598) and Inner Temple (admitted 1601). High Sheriff of Leicestershire, 1627; JP for Leicestershire. He married, c.1622, Elizabeth (1606-80), daughter of George Bennett of Welby (Lincs), and had issue:
(1) Elizabeth Ashby (1624-55), born 30 October 1624; married, 8 July 1641 at Asfordby (Leics), William Inge of Thorpe Constantine (Staffs); buried 28 March 1655 at Thorpe Constantine;
(2) George Ashby (1629-72) (q.v.);
(3) Bennet Ashby (d. 1643); died young and was buried at Hungarton, 22 March 1643;
(4) John Ashby (1630-99); merchant of London; married Elizabeth (c.1651-1746), daughter of Benjamin Thorowgood and had issue two sons and two daughters; died in London, 1 September 1699;
(5) Mary Ashby (d. 1669); died unmarried and was buried 20 August 1669;
(6) Sarah Ashby (d. by 1681); died unmarried before 1681;
(7) Anne Ashby (d. by 1681); married Robert Cotton of London; died before 1681;
(8) William Ashby (1637-1702), born 10 October 1637; Turkey merchant; married Mary Brittan (d. 1723) of Thorpe Satchville and had issue one son and two daughters; died 26 March 1702 and was buried at Twyford (Leics), where he is commemorated by a monument;
(9) Mabel Ashby (d. by 1675); married, 1/2 September 1658 at Lowesby or Hinckley (Leics), Sir John Oneby (d. c.1676) of Hinckley (Leics) (who m2, Mercy Dudson); died before 1675 and was buried at Hungarton.
He inherited the Quenby and Lowesby estates from his father in 1618. He sold Lowesby and rebuilt the house at Quenby, c.1620-31.
He died 1 July and was buried at Hungarton, 2 July 1653, where he is commemorated by a monument. His widow died 26 January 1680/1 and was buried at Hungarton (Leics) where she is commemorated by a monument; her will was proved 27 March 1681.
Ashby, George (1629-72). Elder son of George Ashby (1598-1653) and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of George Bennett of Welby (Lincs), born 29 July 1629. His education may have been disrupted by the Civil War as he does not appear to have attended either of the universities or any of the inns of court. He married, 24 June 1652, Mary (c.1628-1721), daughter and heiress of Euseby Shuckburgh of Naseby (Northants) and had issue:
(1) Mary Ashby (1653-1730), born 13 May and baptised 25 December 1653; married, 28 September 1676 at Hungarton, Thomas Eakins (d. 1711/2?) of Rushden (Northants); buried at Rushden, 9 July 1730;
(2) Elizabeth Ashby (1654-1705), born 18 October 1654; married, 6 July 1676 at St Andrew, Holborn, Rt. Hon. Sir Nathan Wright (1653-1721), kt., Lord Keeper of the Great Seal, and had issue one son and two daughters; died 21 July 1705 at Caldecote (Warks);
(3) George Ashby (1656-1728) (q.v.);
(4) Dorothy Ashby (1657-81), born 18 December 1657; died unmarried, 11 September and was buried 22 September 1681; will proved at Leicester, 1681;
(5) Lucy Ashby (b. 1659), born 7 April 1659; died young in the lifetime of her father;
(6) Shuckburgh Ashby (1660-1750) (q.v.);
(7) Euseby Ashby (1662-1741), born 15 July 1662; educated at St. Albans and Trinity College, Cambridge (admitted 1679; BA 1683/4; MA 1687); Fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge; bought the manor of Blaby from George Saville and an estate at Little Ashby and Bitteswell from William Vincent and others; married Mary (1660-1726), daughter of William Major of Leicester but had no issue; died 29 December 1741 and was buried at Blaby (Leics), 1 January 1741/2, where he is commemorated by a monument; bequeathed his property to his nephew, Shuckburgh Ashby (1690-1752);
(8) Margaret Ashby (1663-1737); married, 18 August 1687 at Great Stretton (Leics), William Boothby of Potters Marston (Leics); died 14 February and was buried at Potters Marston, 17 February 1737, where she is commemorated by a monument.
He inherited the Quenby estate from his father in 1653, and acquired the Naseby estate in Northamptonshire through his marriage.
He died 29 May 1672 and was buried at Hungarton, where he is commemorated by a monument. His widow married 2nd, 9 June 1675 at St. Andrew Holborn, London, George Hewett of Rotherby (Leics), barrister-at-law, and died 15 April 1721, aged 93; she is commemorated by a monument at Hungarton.
|George Ashby 1656-1728|
(1) Elizabeth Ashby (1684-1764), born 6 January and baptised 22 January 1683/4; married 1st, 17 February 1705/6 at Hungarton, John Freeman of Wellingborough (Northants) and had issue two daughters; married 2nd, [forename unknown] Boddington of Turville; died 5 February 1764;
(2) twin, George Ashby (1685-1721), born 14 February 1684/5; died unmarried and was buried 6 December 1721;
(3) twin, Waring Ashby (b. & d. 1685), born 14 February 1684/5; died in infancy and was buried 29 March 1685;
(4) Richard Ashby (b. 1686), born 20 October and was baptised 5 November 1686; a Captain in the Welsh Fusiliers; his date of death has not been traced but was probably before 1728;
(5) John Ashby (1687-1756) (q.v.);
(6) Mary Ashby (b. 1689), born 24 May and baptised 7 June 1689; married, 6 February 1714 at Hungarton, Henry Hall of London and had issue one son; apparently died before 1728;
(7) Edmund Ashby (1690-1775) (q.v.);
(8) Hannah Ashby (1692-1781), born 2 March and baptised 15 March 1692; married, 13 April 1721 at Hungarton, George Cheseldon MD of Leicester but had no issue; died 4 November 1781;
(9) Anne Ashby (1694-1777), baptised 20 December 1694; married Robert Norton (d. 1738) of Leicester and had issue two sons and four daughters; died 11 March 1777;
(10) Waring Ashby (1697-1770) (q.v.);
(11) William Ashby (b. & d. 1701), born 12 and baptised 31 October 1701; died in infancy and was buried 30 November 1701.
He inherited the Quenby estate from his father in 1672 and laid out the estate with extensive woodlands. His wife brought him a portion of about £9,000. At his death he left his property to his youngest surviving son, Waring Ashby (1697-1770), excluding his older siblings.
He was buried at Quenby, 11 February 1727/8, where he is commemorated by a monument; his will was proved 9 March 1727/8. His widow was buried at Hungarton, 30 May 1733.
Ashby, John (1687-1756). Eldest son of George Ashby (1656-1728) and his wife Hannah, daughter of Maj. Edward Waring MP of Umphriston (Shropshire), born 17/27 November and baptised 10 December 1687. He married, c.1712, Hannah (d. 1781), daughter of [forename unknown] Johnson of Hull and issue:
(1) George Ashby (b. & d. 1714);
(2) Hannah Ashby (b. 1715; fl. 1738), born 17 November and baptised at St Sepulchre, London, 28 November 1715; married, 21 May 1738 at Wellingborough (Northants), Charles Stamford esq. and had issue one son; date of death not traced;
(3) George Ashby (b. & d. 1716);
(6) Richard Ashby (1725-34), baptised at Westbury, 6 May 1725; died young, 4 October 1734;
(7) William Ashby (1726-42), baptised at Westbury, 21 June 1726; died young and was buried at Westbury, 30 July 1742;
(8) Edmund Ashby (1729-85) (q.v.);
He was disinherited by his father, but inherited The Lynches near Shrewsbury (Salop) which was his mother's jointure estate, in 1733.
He died 20 July and was buried at Westbury, 23/27 July 1756. His widow was buried at Minsterley, 18 November 1781.
Ashby, Edmund (1729-85). Youngest son of John Ashby (1687-1756) of The Lynches, near Shrewsbury and his wife Hannah Johnson, born 26 December 1729 and baptised at Westbury (Shropshire), 15 January 1729/30. He married, 28 March 1758 at Westbury (Shropshire), Elizabeth (1736-1815?), third daughter and co-heiress of William Ash of Paston near Peterborough (Hunts) and had issue:
(1) Elizabeth Freeman Ashby (1759-1832), baptised 28 May 1759; married, 4 September 1783 at Westbury, Robert Hale (1753-1830), and had issue four daughters; buried at Meole Brace (Shropshire), 28 December 1832;
(2) Hannah Maria Ashby (1763-1830) (q.v.).
He inherited The Lynches near Shrewsbury from his father in 1756.
He died 20 November and was buried at Westbury (Shropshire), 25 November 1785; his will was proved 3 January 1786 and a further grant of administration was made 11 April 1863 of effects still unadministered. His widow married 2nd, 28 December 1788 at St. Alkmund, Shrewsbury (Shropshire), Æmilian Holbeach (d. 1797) of Sloley Hill (Warks); she may have been the Elizabeth Holbeach who was buried at St Peter, Wolverhampton, 5 December 1815.
Ashby, Hannah Maria (1763-1830). Younger daughter of Edmund Ashby (d. 1785) and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of William Ash of Paston near Peterborough (Hunts), baptised at Westbury (Shropshire), 18 September 1763. She married, 9 January 1787 at Westbury, John Maddock (d. 1823) of Shrewsbury, attorney, and had issue:
(1) Rev. George Ashby Maddock (1788-1836) (q.v.).
She inherited the Naseby estate from her cousin, Rev. George Ashby, in 1808, but lived at Greenfields in the parish of St. Julian, Shrewsbury.
She died 25 November and was buried at St. Alkmund, Shrewsbury, 1 December 1830. Her husband was buried 21 February 1823; his will was proved 6 October 1823.
Maddock, Rev. George Ashby (1788-1836). Son of John Maddock of Greenfields, Shrewsbury and his wife Hannah Maria, daughter of Edmund Ashby, baptised 1 January 1789. Educated at Shrewsbury School (admitted 1801) and Brasenose College, Oxford (matriculated 1807; BA 1811; MA 1814). Ordained deacon, 1812; stipendiary curate of Berrington (Herefs), 1812. He married, 22 July 1833, Anne (1813-93), daughter of George Procter of Cairn Cottage (Argylls) and had issue:
(1) George Ashby Maddock (later Ashby) (1834-90) (q.v.).
He inherited the Naseby (Northants) estate from his mother and lived at Greenfields, Shrewsbury.
He died 5 January and was buried at St. Alkmund, Shrewsbury, 19 January 1836; his will was proved 4 July 1836. His widow died 6 January 1893 at Plas Dolguog, Machynlleth; her will was proved 16 February 1893 (estate £1,285).
Maddock (later Ashby), George Ashby (1834-90). Only child of Rev. George Ashby Maddock (d. 1836) and his wife Anne, daughter of George Procter of Cairn Cottage (Argylls), born 3 June and privately baptised 7 June 1834. Perhaps travelled abroad as he was issued with a passport, 10 August 1852. A Lieutenant in the Northamptonshire militia, 1852, and an officer in the 11th Hussars (Cornet, 1852; Lt., 1854; Capt., 1856); JP for Northamptonshire and Leicestershire; DL for Northamptonshire; High Sheriff of Northamptonshire, 1863-64. He assumed by royal licence the name and arms of Ashby, 21 August 1857. He was bankrupted in 1887, blaming losses from farming over more than 13 years. He married, 5 June 1855, Helen (c.1836-1906), daughter of Lt-Gen. John Charles Hope Gibsone of Pentland (Midlothian) and had issue:
(1) Maj. George Ashby Maddock (later Ashby) (1856-1937) (q.v.);
(2) Lt-Col. John Shuckburgh Ashby (1858-1938), born 29 January 1858; officer in the Indian Staff Corps (Lt., 1876; Capt., 1887; Major, 1896; Lt-Col., 1902; retired, 1904); Assistant Political Agent, Bombay Presidency; married 1st, 9 September 1879 in India, Sarah Fanny Eliza, daughter of P.W. Hewitt; married 2nd, Apr-Jun 1918 in Kensington (Middx), Rachel Emma Evans (d. 1945); lived in retirement at Maescurnog Cray (Brecons); died 5 July 1938; will proved 18 October 1938 (estate £206);
(3) Louisa Jane Ashby (1859-1910), born 20 September at Colmonell (Ayrs) and baptised 7 October 1859; deaf, probably from birth; lived at Cheltenham with her youngest sister; died unmarried, Apr-Jun 1910;
(4) Helen Anne Ashby (b. 1861), born 11 May and baptised 7 June 1861; married, 24 April 1890, Gerald Townley Parker (1858-92), second son of Capt. Robert Townley Parker of Cuerden (Lancs), and had issue a daughter; as a widow lived at Dawlish (Devon); her date of death has not been traced;
(5) Edward Waring Ashby (1863-72), born 1 January and baptised 25 January 1863; died young, 5 December 1872;
(6) Mary Shuckburgh Ashby (1864-1931), born Apr-Jun 1864; married, 10 January 1889 at Bombay (India), Capt. William Aves, R.I.M, and had issue four children, of whom two died young; died 10 February 1931 and was buried (as Lucy Shuckburgh Aves), 13 February 1931 in Cheltenham; administration of her goods (with will annexed) granted 15 May 1931 (estate £496);
(7) Hugh Gibsone Ashby (1865-1924), born 23 August 1865; emigrated to Canada, 1884; married, 30 December 1909 in Vancouver, British Columbia (Canada), Henrietta Ann Nelson (b. c.1882); died 29 November 1924;
(8) Frances Catherine Ashby (1867-96), baptised 28 April 1867; lived in Cheltenham (Glos); died unmarried, 8 July and was buried at Cheltenham, 11 July 1896;
(9) Henrietta Alice Ashby (1868-1944), baptised 27 September 1868; married, 19 September 1901 (sep. 1911) at Christ Church, Cheltenham (Glos), John Alfred Hope, ironmaster, of Derwent House, Workington (Cumbld) and had issue one son and three daughters; her husband was bankrupted 1902 and was still undischarged at the time of their separation; died 1 February 1944; administration of goods granted 30 March 1944 (estate £156);
(10) Henry Whitfeild Ashby (1870-1922?), born 5 January 1870; possibly the Henry W. Ashby who died in Chelsea (Middx), Oct-Dec 1922;
(11) Ann Elizabeth Ashby (1874-97); married, 11 March 1895, George Wilfrid Collins Jackson (1865-1901) of Manor House, Dawlish (Devon) and had issue one son and one daughter; died 28 July 1897; administration of goods granted February 1898 and 10 June 1902 (effects £1,011);
(12) Amy Laura Ashby (1876-1948), born Apr-Jun 1876; married, Apr-Jun 1897, William Parker; died at Salisbury, 11 March 1948; administration of goods was granted 12 February 1949 (estate £1,109);
(13) Emily Winifred Ashby (1878-1953), born Jan-Mar 1878; lived with her deaf older sister at Cheltenham; married, 25 September 1907 at St. Stephen, Hammersmith (Middx), Robert Earl Marshall (1874-1913), engineer, of Cheltenham, and had issue one daughter; died at Salisbury, 28 November and was buried at St Peter, Leckhampton (Glos), 2 December 1953; will proved 2 February 1954 (estate £5,254).
He inherited property the Naseby (Northants) estate from his father in 1855 and purchased the house known as Woolleys as a centre for the estate. After he was bankrupted he moved to Plas Dalguog, Machynlleth and his life interest in the estate was sold.
He died 8 March 1890. His widow died on 20 October 1906; her will was proved in December 1906 (estate £1,213).
Maddock (later Ashby), Col. George Ashby (1856-1937) CB. Eldest son of George Ashby Maddock (later Ashby) (1834-90) and his wife Helen, daughter of Lt-Gen. John Charles Hope Gibsone of Pentland, born in Istanbul (Turkey), 26 March and baptised there 5 April 1856. His father changed his name from Maddock to Ashby by royal licence in 1857. An officer in the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, 1875-1904 (Capt. 1886; Major 1893; Lt-Col., 1901; Col., 1904) and served in the Egyptian Campaign, 1882 (despatches), the Nile Expedition, 1884-85 (despatches), and the Boer War (CB, 1900); Commandant of Discharge Depot, 1904-08; retired 1908 but returned to the colours in the First World War. JP for Northamptonshire and Leicestershire. He listed his interests as hunting, shooting and cricket, and was a member of the MCC. He married, 28 August 1888 at St George, Kensington (Middx), Mabel Cecilia (1867-1938), daughter of Lt-Col. P.C. Anderson of the Royal Bengal Artillery, and had issue:
(1) George Waring Ashby (1897-1989), born in Newry (Armagh), 6 June 1897; Capt. in the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry; served in WW1 (MC, 1918); married Sylvia Irene MacIver (1912-2001); died in Hassocks, Oct-Dec 1989.
He inherited the reversionary interest in the Naseby estate from his father in 1890 but sold it in 1904. He lived latterly at Hassocks (Sussex)
He died at Hassocks, 16 June 1937; his will was proved 9 October 1937 (estate £7,059). His widow died 24 February 1938; her will was proved 11 November 1938 (estate £1,020).
Ashby, Edmund (1690-1775). Fifth son of George Ashby (1656-1728) of Quenby and his wife Hannah, daughter and co-heir of Maj. Edward Waring MP of Umphriston (Shropshire), born 1 June and baptised 7 June 1690. Citizen and merchant taylor of London. He married, 15 May 1720 at St Mary Abchurch, London, Elizabeth Judith (1702-87), daughter and heiress of Robert Lock of Berwick St. Leonards and Dinton (Wilts) and had issue:
(1) Elizabeth Ashby (1721-55), born 20 August 1721; died unmarried, 29 January 1755 and was buried at Melton Mowbray (Leics);
(2) Rev. George Ashby (1724-1808) (q.v.);
(3) Hannah Ashby (1726-1808), born 20 October 1726; lived with her brother George; died unmarried, 1 May 1808 and was buried with her brother at Barrow (Suffk);
(4) Edmund Ashby (1730-35), born 24 November 1730; died young, 24 June 1735;
(5) Mary Ashby (1738-99), born 29 August 1738; married, 14 January 1788 at Tamworth (Staffs), Benjamin Mather of Wellingborough (Northants), grocer, but had no issue; died 1799;
(6) Letitia Ashby (b. & d. 1743), born 17 February 1743; died in infancy, November 1743.
He died 9 January 1775 and was buried at Wellingborough (Northants); his will was proved 1 February 1775. His widow died 5 March 1787; her will was proved 27 March 1787.
Ashby, Rev. George (1724-1808). Elder and only surviving son of Edmund Ashby and his wife Elizabeth Judith, daughter of Robert Lock of Berwick St. Leonards & Dinton (Wilts), born in Clerkenwell, 5 December 1724. Educated at Westminster School and St. John's College, Cambridge (admitted 1740; BA 1744/5; MA 1748; BD 1756); Fellow of St. John's College, 1748-75 (President or Vice-Master, 1768-75). Ordained deacon, 1746 and priest, 1752. Curate of Halesworth and Chediston (Suffk); Rector of Hungarton, 1757-69, Twyford 1757-66, Barrow (Suffolk), 1774-1808 and Stansfield (Suffk), 1780-1808. He was known to contemporaries as an antiquary and was a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, 1775-1808. He had very catholic tastes and made notes on old plays, ornithology, coins, literature, topography, and genealogy among many other subjects; his collections are preserved in the British Library, Bodleian Library and Suffolk Record Office. He also encouraged the publication of Rev. John Mastin's History and Antiquities of Naseby, 1792. He was a close friend of the poet, Thomas Gray, and had a wide circle of antiquarian acquaintances, including his 'constant companion and amanuensis', Thomas Lyus of Barrow, to whom he left his library and personal estate. Contemporaries recorded him as ‘a very able scholar, and lively and talkative to a degree; but immensely vain and fond of admiration’ and ‘as entertaining a companion as any can be’, with an extraordinary memory. He became blind in old age. He was unmarried and without issue, and lived with his younger sister, whom he survived by only a few weeks.
He inherited the Naseby estate from his cousin, George Ashby (1725-1802) in 1802. At his death it passed to his first cousin once removed, Hannah Maria Maddock (d. 1830).
He died at Barrow, 12 June 1808, and he is commemorated by a monument in the church there erected at the expense of Thomas Lyus. His will was proved 12 November 1808.
Ashby, Waring (1697-1770). Third son of George Ashby (1656-1728) and his wife Hannah, daughter and co-heir of Maj. Edward Waring MP of Humperstone, born 22 November and baptised at Hungarton, 9 December 1697. Educated at Trinity Hall, Cambridge (admitted 1717/8). High Sheriff of Leicestershire, 1733. He married 1st, Elizabeth (c.1705-25), daughter of Ven. Richard Cumberland, Archdeacon of Northampton, and sister of Rt. Rev. Dennis Cumberland, Bishop of Kilmore; 2nd, 13 December 1726 at St Olave Marygate, York, Anne (c.1702-57), daughter of Thomas Metcalfe of Yorkshire; and 3rd, [name unknown] (d. 1778) and had issue:
(1) George Ashby (1725-1802) (q.v.).
He inherited the Quenby and Naseby estates from his father in 1728 but sold the former to Shuckburgh Ashby (1724-92) in 1759.
He died 25 October and was buried at Hungarton, 31 October 1770. His first wife died 22 May and was buried 25 May 1725. His second wife died 17 March 1757 and was buried at Hungarton. His widow died in 1778.
Ashby, George (1725-1802) of Haselbech Hall. Only son of Waring Ashby (1697-1770) and his first wife Elizabeth Cumberland, born 3 March 1724/5 and baptised at St Martin-in-the-Fields (Middx), 20 March 1724/5. Educated at Bury St. Edmunds Grammar School) (admitted 1738) and Exeter College, Oxford (matriculated 1743/4). He married, 24 June 1749 at St Benet, Paul's Wharf, London, Deborah (c.1729-1802), daughter of John Sparke of Cambridge, but had no issue.
He inherited the Naseby estate from his father in 1770, and bequeathed it to his cousin, Rev. George Ashby (1724-1808) with remainder to his first cousin once removed, Hannah Maria Ashby (1763-1830). He leased Haselbech Hall from his cousin, Shuckburgh Ashby, from 1769 until his death.
He died at Haselbech Hall in 24 February and was buried at Haselbech, 8 March 1802, where he and his wife are commemorated by a monument; his will was proved 29 October 1802. His widow died 14 August and was buried at Haselbech, 21 August 1802; her will was proved 18 March 1803.
Ashby, Shuckburgh (1660-1750). Second son of George Ashby (1629-72) and his wife Mary, daughter of Euseby Shuckburgh of Naseby (Northants), born 10 April 1660. He married, 28 October 1689 at Dunton Bassett (Leics), Mary (1666-1743), daughter of Nele Hewett of Dunton, and had issue:
(1) Shuckburgh Ashby (1690-1752) (q.v.);
(2) Neale Ashby (1693-1765), born 4 August 1693 and baptised 16 April 1694; educated at Lincoln's Inn (admitted 1719); attorney; died without issue, 1765 and was buried under the chapel of Lincoln's Inn;
(3) Edward Ashby (b. 1695), born 26 May and baptised at Rotherby (Leics), 5 June 1695.
He purchased an estate at Eye Kettleby and Hambleton, 1699.
He died aged 90, 4 May 1750. His wife died 30 November 1743 and was buried at Melton Mowbray, where she is commemorated by a monument.
Ashby, Shuckburgh (1690-1752) of Blaby. Eldest son of Shuckburgh Ashby (1660-1750) and his wife Mary, born 14 September 1690. He married, 12 December 1723 at St Michael Queenhithe, London, Mary (c.1697-1760), daughter of Nathaniel Cradock of Cossington (Leics) and had issue:
(1) Shuckburgh Ashby (1724-92) (q.v.);
(2) Mary Ashby (1732-64); married, 17 November 1753 at St Margaret, Leicester, Rev. William Brecknock Wragge (b. 1728), vicar of Frisby-on-the-Wreake (Leics) (who in 1790 was convicted of performing an unlicensed marriage* and sentenced to be transported for 14 years, although he was allowed to resign the living and go abroad; the living was put in sequestration for the benefit of his family) and had issue one daughter; died 10 January 1764 and was buried at Blaby, where she is commemorated by a monument;
(3) Nathaniel Ashby (1730-1801) of Sawley (Derbys), born 9 December 1730; educated at Balliol College, Oxford (matriculated 1751); lived with a housekeeper, Mary Bower, who inherited his house at Sawley; succeeded his brother in the Quenby estates, 1792 and was also lord of the manor of Twyford (Leics); died unmarried 1801; will proved 23 July 1801;
(4) Dorothy Ashby (1731-1811), born 25 November 1731; married Rev. Thomas Myddelton (c.1709-73), vicar of Melton Mowbray (Leics) and had issue one son (who died young); died 16 February 1811;
(5) George Ashby (1738-60); educated at Bosworth Grammar School and Corpus Christi College, Cambridge (matriculated 1759); died there unmarried, 7 August 1760, and was buried at St. Edward, Cambridge, where he is commemorated by a monument.
He inherited the manor of Blaby (Leics) in 1741 and purchased property at Aston Flamville and Cotes Deville.
He died 14 January 1752 and was buried at Blaby, where he is commemorated by a monument. His widow died 19 May and was buried at Blaby, 26 May 1760.
* The conviction related to the marriage of two servants of Mr. Hudson of Wanlip (Leics), but the Frisby registers suggest he had for years married all comers with no questions asked!
Ashby, Shuckburgh (1724-92) of Great Stretton and Quenby Hall. Only son of Shuckburgh Ashby (1690-1752) and his wife Mary, born 6 October 1724. Educated at Balliol College, Oxford (matriculated 1742). High Sheriff of Leicestershire, 1758-59. He contributed £300 to the Leicester Infirmary at its establishment in 1767 and later gave the wrought iron gates from Quenby Hall to the infirmary. MP for Leicester, Feb-Mar 1784 but did not stand again as he did not wish to fight a contested election. Fellow of the Royal Society. He married, 1745, Elizabeth (1723-95), daughter and heiress of Richard Hinde of Cold Ashby, and had issue:
(1) Mary Elizabeth Ashby (1747-1815) (q.v.);
(2) Catherine Ashby (b. & d. 1748), baptised 25 August 1748; died in infancy, 28 August and was buried at Great Glen (Leics), 31 August 1748 where she is commemorated by a monument;
(2) Dorothea Ashby (1750-1822), born at York, 18 January 1750; married, 15 April 1771 at Westminster, Sir Thomas Hussey Apreece (1744-1833), 1st bt. of Washingley Hall (Hunts) and had issue two sons and one daughter; they were separated from about 1774 but meeting accidentally at an inn at Oakham (Rutland) were reconciled for one night and parted forever the following morning; died 26 December 1822.
He inherited the manor of Blaby and property at Aston Flamville and Cotes Deville from his father in 1752 but sold Aston Flamville the same year and Blaby and Cotes Deville in 1760. He purchased Quenby Hall from his kinsman, Waring Ashby (d. 1770) in 1759 and remodelled it, and pursuing 'a principle laudable and truly disinterested' as he put it on his monument, rebuilt a large part of Hungarton village between 1766 and 1775. At his death the Quenby estate passed first to his younger brother and then to his eldest daughter. In 1765 he inherited Haselbech Hall in right of his wife and from 1769 this was leased to his cousin, George Ashby.
He died 27 January and was buried 6 February 1792 at Hungarton, where he is commemorated by a monument designed by Thomas Banks. His widow died 8 November and was buried at Hungarton, 19 November 1795.
Ashby, Mary Elizabeth (1747-1815). Elder daughter of Shuckburgh Ashby (1724-92) of Quenby Hall and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Hinde, born 23 April and baptised 13 May 1747. She resumed her maiden name by royal licence after the death of her husband. She married, 18 October 1770 at Eltham (Kent), William Latham (1742-1807), surgeon and apothecary, of Eltham (Kent), FRS FSA, and had issue:
(1) Maria Elizabeth Latham (1772-1839), born 1 May and baptised 28 May 1772; married, 13 October 1800 at St Marylebone (Middx), Rev. George Osborne (c.1765-1839), vicar of Hungarton and later rector of Haselbech (Northants); buried at Haselbech, 14 August 1839;
(2) Harriet Latham (1773-1848?), born 10 November and baptised 1 December 1773; married, April 1798, as his second wife, Thomas Byron (c.1738-1821); possibly the person of this name who died in Warwick, Jan-Mar 1848;
(3) William Ashby Latham (later Ashby) (1775-1848) (q.v.);
(4) Dorothea Hinde Latham (1779-1858), born 3 May and baptised 1 June 1779; died unmarried in Warwick, Jul-Sep 1858.
She inherited Quenby Hall from her uncle in 1801 but never lived there and let it.
She died 25 July 1815; her will was proved 31 August 1815 and a further grant of administration of the unadministered part of the estate was made to her grandson, Rev. Edward Quenby Ashby, 10 November 1869. Her husband died 7 February 1807.
Latham (later Ashby), William Ashby (1775-1848). Only child of William Latham and his wife Mary Elizabeth Ashby (1747-1815), baptised 22 March 1775 at Eltham (Kent). Educated at Charterhouse, Trinity Hall, Cambridge (matriculated 1793; LLB 1799) and Lincolns Inn (admitted 1795). He assumed the name of Ashby in place of Latham in 1808. He married, 15 July 1797 at St George, Hanover Square, London, Mary (d. 1835), daughter of Michael Miller and had issue:
(1) twin, Shuckburgh Ashby (1798-1857) of Quenby Hall, born 29 December 1798; educated at Merton College, Oxford (matriculated 1819); JP for Leicestershire and Derbyshire; died unmarried in Edinburgh, 21 August 1857;
(2) twin, William George Ashby (1798-1850) (q.v.);
(3) Rev. Edward Quenby Ashby (1805-71), born 1805; educated at Eton and Christchurch, Oxford (matriculated 1822; BA 1826; MA 1833). Rector of Dunton (Bucks), 1842-71; inherited Quenby Hall from his brother, 1857, but sold the furniture and most of the contents in October that year and let the house (tenants included W. Angerstein), although he was living in it at the time of his death; married 1st, 26 May 1842 at Carlton Curlieu (Leics), Elizabeth, daughter of Rev. Henry Palmer of Withcote (Leics) and 2nd, 4 January 1855 at St Martin-in-the-Fields (Middx), Ellen Dorothea (d. 1855), daughter of Rev. Edward Hatch Hoare, vicar of Barkby (Leics), but had no issue; died 7 March 1871; will proved 3 June 1871 (effects under £8,000);
(4) Agnes Eliza Ashby (1806-82), born 6 June and baptised at Hampstead (Middx), 21 July 1806; married, 1 May 1841 at Hungarton, William Ann Pochin (1820-1901) of Edmondthorpe Hall and Barkby Hall (Leics) and had issue three sons; died 21 August 1882; administration of goods granted 22 September 1882 (estate £515).
He inherited Quenby Hall from his mother in 1815 (when he was described as of Lismore Castle (Co. Waterford), but the estate was let in the early years of his ownership.
He died at Quenby, 23/24 June 1848. His wife died at Ashfield Hall (Derbys), 12 December 1835.
Ashby, William George (1798-1850). Second son of William Ashby Latham (later Ashby) and his wife Mary, daughter of Michael Miller, born 29 December 1798. An officer in the Royal Navy (Lt., 1826). He married, 25 June 1832 at Alverstoke (Hants), Anne, daughter of Richard Brower of Fareham (Hants), and had issue:
(1) Anne Ashby (1837-86) (q.v.);
(2) Agnes Eliza Ashby (1846-1941), baptised 10 May 1846 at Fareham (Hants); married 1st, 13 April 1871 at Stainby (Leics), Ashby Pochin (d. 1880) of Toft (Lincs), son of William Ann Pochin of Barkby (Leics) and had issue four daughters; married 2nd, 5 July 1881 at Hove (Sussex), Rev. Wilfred Nevill Leeson (1847-1909), vicar of Wytham-on-the-Hill (Leics) and had issue one son and three daughters; died 4 March 1941 aged 94.
He died at Southsea, 3 February 1850. His wife's date of death has not been traced.
Ashby, Anne (1837-86). Elder daughter of William George Ashby (d. 1850) and his wife, baptised at Portsea (Hants), 5 May 1837. She and her husband took the surname Ashby in lieu of Bernard by royal licence, 24 July 1871. She married, 27 January 1866 at Chesham (Bucks), Nicholas Hermann Bernard (later Ashby) (1825-90) of Queen's College, Cambridge, and had issue:
(1) George Ashby Hermann Bernard (later Ashby) (1866-1947) (q.v.).
She and her husband lived at Bickley (Kent). When they inherited the Quenby Hall estate from her uncle in 1871, the contents of the house were sold immediately and the house leased to tenants (including Lord Downe, Lord Manners and the Marquess of Waterford) until 1890, when her husband's executors organised a further sale of contents.
She died 30 June 1886. Her husband died 12 November 1890; his will was proved 5 March 1891 (effects £3,885).
|George Ashby Herman Ashby|
|Press report of the prosecution, 1891|
(1) Edith Ashby Annie Ashby (1900-67) of Putney, London SW15, baptised 24 May 1900; married, Oct-Dec 1924, Charles Thomas Harington Groves (1901-74), surveyor; died 16 June 1967; will proved 16 August 1967 (estate £3,846);
(2) George Frederick Ashby (b. & d. 1901), born 24 June and baptised 4 August 1901; buried 9 August 1901;
(2) Cecil George Ashby (1903-87) of Twickenham (Middx), born 1 January 1903; married, 18 November 1933 at St Stephen, South Dulwich, London, Irene Lilian Cicely Eagle (1902-87) and had issue one son; died 27 April 1987; will proved 25 January 1988 (estate £86,338).
He inherited the Quenby Hall estate from his father in 1890 but it was let to tenants (including J.P. Trew and Alfred Donisthorpe (d. 1906)) until he sold it in 1904.
He died 25 August 1947; administration of his goods granted 20 October 1947 (estate £242). His estranged wife died 8 December 1944; her will was proved 12 March 1945 (estate £679).
Burke's Landed Gentry, 1876, vol. 1, pp. 46-47; Burke's Landed Gentry, 1898, vol. 1, p.33; W.G.D. Fletcher, Leicestershire pedigrees and royal descents, 1887; pp. 111-17; Sir N. Pevsner & E. Williamson, The buildings of England: Leicestershire, 2nd edn, 1984, pp. 351-53; L. Cantor & A. Squires, The historic parks and gardens of Leicestershire & Rutland, 1997, pp. 42, 52; Oxford Dictionary of National Biography entry on Rev. George Ashby (1724-1808).
Location of archives
Ashby family of Naseby: estate accounts and papers, 1858-1905 [Northamptonshire Record Office, FS 1/1-58]
Ashby, Rev. George (1724-1808): antiquarian collections relating to Suffolk, 18th century [Suffolk Record Office, Ipswich, HD 1538/63-65; HD 663]; papers, 18th cent. [St. John's College, Cambridge]
Coat of arms
Ashby of Quenby: Azure, a chevron ermine between three leopards' heads or.
Ashby of Naseby: Quarterly, 1st and 4th, azure, a chevron ermine between three leopards' heads or for Ashby; 2nd and 3rd, per pale azure and gules three pheons in fesse between a lion passant in chief and another in base or, for Maddock.
Can you help?
Here are a few notes about information and images which would help to improve the account above. If you can help with any of these or with other additions or corrections, please use the contact form in the sidebar to get in touch.
- Can anyone provide better photographs of Naseby Hall, and particularly a view of the house in its current neo-Georgian form?
- I should be interested to hear from anyone who has done work on the Ashby family in 15th and 16th century Leicestershire and is in a position to clarify the descent of the Quenby estate to George Ashby (1539-1618).
- Can anyone supply more information about George Waring Ashby (1897-1989) and his wife, and in particular the date and place of his marriage?