His son, William Anderton (c.1708-44), rebuilt Euxton Hall on a suprisingly grand scale, showing that the disabilities under which Catholic families laboured did not prevent them accumulating significant wealth. He died before the second Jacobite rebellion of 1745 and his twin sons were too young to play any part in it, so the family was saved any further difficulties in the Stuart cause. Their commitment to the Old Faith was far from extinguished however, and the heir, Francis Anderton (1739-79) became a Benedictine monk at Douai Abbey and later chaplain at Linley Hall in Shropshire. In 1763 he made the Euxton estate over to his brother William Anderton (1739-1811), and a few years later William made a valuable marriage with another local Catholic family, the Inces of Ince Hall at Ince-in-Makerfield. His bride, Frances Sobieski Ince (d. 1816), was heir to the Ince estate and the couple seem to have lived there in preference to Euxton, even though Euxton was apparently the newer and grander house. His son, William Ince Anderton (1770-1848), lived long enough to see the Catholic faith tolerated once more, and was able to resume the roles of JP and military officer from which his family's faith had debarred his ancestors. He sold Ince Hall in about 1818 and returned to live at Euxton, rebuilding the new Catholic chapel adjoining the house with the aid of a public subscription.
William Michael Ince Anderton (1825-84) was an archetypal Victorian improving squire. In 1848-50 he remodelled or even rebuilt the house at Euxton and in the 1860s he built both a Catholic church in the village and a new Gothic chapel in the grounds of the Hall for his family's own use. He married Lady Emma Frances Plunkett, daughter of the 9th Earl of Fingall, who was a talented amateur artist, and her social status helped to ensure her daughters married well: one into the Curzons and the other into the Starkies of Huntroyde. With the couple's sons, however, the male line of the family petered out: the heir, Col. William Anderton (1855-1926) married but had no issue; and the second and third sons, Sir Francis Anderton (1859-1950) and Henry Anderton (1880-1936) never married. Sir Francis sold the Euxton estate in 1927, ending a connection of nearly 450 years, and shortly afterwards the house was largely destroyed by fire. The new owner, Peter Reid (d. 1949), had it reconstructed as a much smaller single-storey house, and this survives, although it became a hospital in 1984.
A younger son of Hugh Anderton (1516-66), James Anderton (b. 1542), was married at the age of 12 to Elizabeth Elston, who was probably only eleven. In 1561 she secured an annulment of the marriage on the grounds of their ages at the time and of coercion by their parents, in what must have been an interesting test-case at a time when child-marriage was not uncommon, though increasingly frowned upon. James subsequently married the heiress of Bardsea Hall at Ulverston, and this estate passed, together with his father's property at Clayton-le-Woods, to his son, James Anderton (1576-1658). This James, like his cousin of Euxton, was a strong supporter of the Royalist cause, and sacrificed three sons who were killed in engagements during the 1640s. His surviving children all died without issue, and Clayton was sold to the 3rd Viscount Molyneux in 1683 and Bardsea to the 4th Viscount in 1705. Since almost nothing is known of the Bardsea Hall of this time, an account of this house is reserved for a future post on the Gale family, who rebuilt it in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Euxton Hall, Lancashire
|Euxton Hall as rebuilt in 1739, from an engraving published in 1846.|
Nothing is known of the Tudor house of the Andertons at Euxton, said to have been erected in the reign of Henry VIII, which was demolished and rebuilt by William Anderton (d. 1744), reputedly in 1739. The new house had a thirteen bay front and two storeys, with a central pediment and a four-column portico. The house contained plasterwork by Francesco Consiglio, who also worked at Lyme Park (Ches.); this included the ceilings of the entrance hall and staircase hall, and perhaps the bust of James II crowned with laurel and surrounded by military trophies which stood over the fireplace in the entrance hall.
|Euxton Hall from 6" map surveyed in 1844-47, |
showing the Georgian house
|Euxton Hall from 6" map surveyed in 1892-93, |
showing the house as rebuilt in 1848-50.
This house in turn is said to have been rebuilt (but probably only remodelled), still in the Classical style, in 1848-50 for William Michael Ince Anderton, who inherited the estate in 1848. This house was again of thirteen bays and had giant pilasters and ornate decoration. In 1927 the estate was sold out of the Anderton family and shortly afterwards there was a disastrous fire. In 1929, the Hall was reduced in size and reconstructed as a single-storey seven-by-six bay house by H.S. Fairhurst of Manchester. This now has a fine pedimented doorcase with unfluted Ionic columns, which could be a survivor from the 18th century house. The masonry of the building is probably 18th and 19th century, but the cupola and mansard roof are wholly of 1929. The side windows with shallow canopies supported by consoles look convincingly of 1850. Inside, there survives a drawing room with an elaborate Victorian plasterwork ceiling, now concealed by a false ceiling. The two lodges are attractive classical buildings of 1850. The house became a private hospital in 1982.
|Euxton Hall as reduced in size in 1929.|
|Euxton Hall chapel, 1866.|
Descent: Hugh Anderton (fl. 1489-1503); to son, James Anderton (d. 1551); to son, Hugh Anderton (1516-66); to son, William Anderton (c.1564-1618); to son, Hugh Anderton (1600-70); to son, William Anderton (1638-1704); to son, Hugh Anderton (1673-1721); confiscated 1716 and sold 1719 to trustees for his son, William Anderton (d. 1744); to son, Fr. Francis Anderton (1739-79), who gave it 1763 to his brother, William Anderton (1739-1811); to son, William Ince Anderton (1770-1848); to son, William Michael Ince Anderton (1825-84); to son, William Arthur Alphonsus Joseph Ince Anderton (1855-1926); to brother, Sir Francis Robert Ince Anderton (1859-1950), who sold 1927 to Peter Reid (d. 1949), who reconstructed the house after a fire in 1929; sold 1950 to Sir Stanley Bell; sold 1982 and converted for use as a private hospital.
Anderton family of Euxton Hall
Anderton, Hugh (fl. 1466-1503) of Euxton Hall. Third son of Oliver de Anderton (d. 1466) and his wife Ellen (d. 1466), daughter of Matthew de Kenyon. Recorded as a juror in 1501. He married Joan (fl. 1504/5) and had issue:
(1) James Anderton (d. 1551) (q.v.);
(2) William Anderton (fl. 1504/5);
(3) Thomas Anderton (fl. 1508);
(4) Margaret Anderton (d. 1535); married, about July 1508, Nicholas Rigby (d. 1557) of Harrock (Lancs).
He inherited his mother's estates at Culcheth, Kenyon and Haslingden etc. in Lancashire from his elder brother in 1485. He purchased a lease of Euxton and settled there by 1489.
He died after 1503.
Anderton, James (d. 1551) of Euxton Hall. Eldest son of Hugh Anderton (fl. 1466-1503) and his wife Joan. Recorded as a juror in 1515-16. He married, c.1510-16, Agnes, widow of Thomas Farington (d. 1508) of Little Farington (Lancs) and daughter of Henry Banastre of Bank Hall, Bretherton, and had issue:
(1) Hugh Anderton (1516-66) (q.v.);
(2) Isabel Anderton (d. 1573), married, about December 1520, Piers Worthington (d. 1577) of Blainscough in Coppull (Lancs) and had issue including Thomas Worthington DD (1549-1627), editor of the Douai Bible; buried at Standish church, 12 October 1573;
(3) Alice Anderton (fl. 1522-85); married, about January 1522/3, William Chorley (d. 1585/6) of Chorley (Lancs); living in December 1585;
(4) Mary Anderton (d. 1604), married 1st, 21 February c.1540, Thomas Asshaw (d. 1578) of Hall o' th' Hill in Heath Charnock (Lancs) and 2nd, June or July 1580, Robert Langton MP (d. 1594) of Low in Hindley; buried at Standish, 1603/4 and in her will left £300 found a free school at Standish.
He inherited the leasehold Euxton estate from his father, and apparently rebuilt the hall in the early 16th century. He also acquired a considerable estate in Bretherton and in 1523 endowed chantries in Leyland and Eccleston and at Euxton to pray for the souls of himself and his wife.
He died 29 December 1551. His widow died before 1565.
Anderton Hugh (1516-66) of Euxton Hall. Only son of James Anderton (d. 1551) and his wife Agnes, daughter of Henry Banastre of Bank Hall, Bretherton (Lancs), born before 16 April 1516. Took part in Henry VIII's campaign against the Scots in 1544 and was one of the Leylandshire magistrates noted as unfavourable to the changes in religion, 1564. He married 1st, c.1538, Grace (c.1513-55), daughter of John Butler of Middle Rawcliffe Hall (Lancs) and 2nd, about August 1556, Alice, daughter of Alexander Standish of Standish (Lancs), and had issue:
(1.1) James Anderton (1542-1612) [see below, Anderton family of Clayton and Bardsea];
(1.2) Dorothy Anderton (fl 1555), married c.1555, Adam, son and heir of Henry Banastre of Bank Hall, Bretherton but had no issue;
(1.3) Anne Anderton;
(2.1) William Anderton (c.1564-1618) (q.v.);
(2.2) Dorothy Anderton (d. 1637); JP and Clerk of the Crown at Lancaster; married 26 July 1581, Edward Rigby (d. 1627) of Burgh Hall, Duxbury (Lancs); buried 24 February 1636/7;
(2.3) Jane Anderton (d. 1621); died unmarried and was buried 1621;
(2.4) Alice Anderton (d. 1624); married c.1575, Cuthbert Clifton (d. 1579/80 of Westby (Lancs); died 1624;
(2.5) Anne Anderton (d. c.1629); married, about May 1576, William Hesketh (d. 1623) of Little Poulton Hall and Mains Hall in Little Singleton (Lancs); living 15 January 1623/4 but a grant of administration of her goods was granted, 20 April 1629.
He inherited the leasehold Euxton Hall estate from his father in 1551 and purchased a moiety of the manor of Clayton-le-Woods (Lancs) in 1557.
He died 18 January 1566. His first wife died 10 February 1554/5. His widow was living in 1594/5.
Anderton, William (c.1564-1618) of Euxton Hall. Only son of Hugh Anderton (1516-66) of Euxton Hall and his second wife Alice, daughter of Alexander Standish of Standish (Lancs), baptised 16 January 1564/5. Educated at Barnard's Inn and Grays Inn (admitted 1587/8). He married, 1598/99, Isabel (1578/9-1652), daughter and coheir of William Hancock of Pendle Hall, Higham (Lancs) and widow of Richard Assheton (d. 1596) of Pendle Hall, and had issue:
(1) Hugh Anderton (1600-70) (q.v.);
(2) William Anderton (c.1602-72), an English Franciscan friar whose name in religion was William of St. Anthony; approved for preaching, 1634; died 24 June 1672, aged 70;
(3) James Anderton (d. 1645), a Benedictine monk at Douai (professed October 1623); died 27 August 1645;
(4) Christopher Anderton (d. 1653), a Benedictine monk at Douai (professed August 1624); died of the plague, 1 or 11 July 1653;
(5) Thomas Anderton (1612-71), baptised 26 September 1612; a Benedictine monk (ordained 1637); prior of the English Benedictines at Paris, 1640 and 1668-69 and at St Malo, 1661-62; died 9 October 1671;
(6) Robert Anderton (d. c.1680); a Benedictine monk (ordained 1639); titular prior of Ely, 1669; denounced by Titus Oates and retired to the Continent, where he died between June 1678 and 1681;
(7) Andrew Anderton (fl. 1618); a Benedictine novice at Douai who died before ordination;
(8) Dorothy Anderton (d. 1683); married, before 1633, William Rishton (1603-after 1682) of Pouthalgh in Church (Lancs) and later of Preston (Lancs); buried 5 August 1683;
(9) Eleanor Anderton (d. 1664); a nun; died about 20 September 1664;
(10) Alice Anderton (d. 1663); born before 1612; died unmarried and was buried 21 September 1663;
(11) Anne Anderton (d. 1678); lived with her married sister at Preston; died unmarried and was buried 1 December 1678.
He inherited the leasehold Euxton Hall estate from his father in 1566 and renewed the lease; farmer of the tithes of Euxton in 1590 and was at law with his step-brother over them in 1595. He acquired Pendle Hall (Lancs) in right of his wife in 1598/99.
He died 2 April 1618. His widow died 14 May 1652.
Anderton, Hugh (1600-70) of Euxton Hall. Eldest son of William Anderton (c.1564-1618) of Euxton Hall and his wife Isabel, daughter of William Hancock of Pendle Hall, Higham (Lancs), born 16 June 1600. A ward of the King in respect of his property in the West Riding of Yorkshire, 1618-21. A Major in the Royalist army; Commissary for the Hundred of Amounderness and Lonsdale, 1642; for his actions as one of the most prominent and active Lancashire Cavaliers in the Civil War, he was imprisoned and his estates were confiscated and sold by Parliament, but restored after the Restoration of the Monarchy in 1660. On the march south to the Battle of Worcester in 1651, King Charles II released him from imprisonment in Lancaster Castle and stayed the night of 14 August 1651 at Euxton Hall; he fought at the Battle of Wigan Lane, 25 August 1651 and was falsely reported among the slain; imprisoned again in Chester Castle, 1656. He married, about December 1636, his first cousin once removed, Margaret (d. 1684), daughter of Ralph Kirkby of Kirkby Ireleth (Lancs) and had issue:
(1) William Anderton (1638-1704) (q.v.);
(2) Hugh Anderton (1643-1720) of Euxton, born May 1643; married Isabel (d. 1717) [surname unknown] but apparently died without issue; buried 3 December 1720;
(3) Margaret Anderton (1639-99), born October 1639; a nun at the royal French Benedictine abbey of Faremoutiers-en-Brie (professed 1657; sub-prioress); died 18/28 June 1699;
(4) Dorothy Anderton (b. 1641), born May 1641; married 1st, about 1663, John Bradshaw of Lleiniog (Anglesey) and probably 2nd, 1674, John Farnworth (d. 1691) of Runshaw in Euxton; living in August 1679;
(5) Jane Anderton (1648-90), born 3 August 1648; married, about August 1670, William Haydock (d. 1707) of Cottam Hall (Lancs); buried 25 November 1690.
He inherited the leasehold Euxton Hall estate and the Pendle Hall estate from his father in 1618. He purchased the freehold of Euxton Hall in 1627 from his kinsman, Sir Richard Molyneux, 2nd bt. of Sefton, later 1st Viscount Molyneux, and sold Pendle Hall to another relation, Pierce Starke, early in 1664. He sold lands at South Kirkby in Malhamdale (Yorks WR) and bought the tithes of Euxton and land in Clayton-le-Woods from his kinsman, James Anderton (d. 1676) (q.v.).
He died 28 August 1670. His widow died in June 1684.
Anderton, William (1638-1704) of Euxton Hall. Elder son of Hugh Anderton (1600-70) and his wife Margaret, daughter of Ralph Kirkby of Kirkby Ireleth (Lancs), born 1638. One of those marked out for banishment on account of his religion, 1680, but appointed as a JP for Lancashire by King James II, 1687; arrested in connection with an alleged Jacobite plot, June 1689 and imprisoned in Manchester, but released without charge early in 1690. He married, 6 July 1670, Mary (d. 1703), daughter of William Farington of Worden and widow of David Lake of Wavertree (Lancs), and had issue:
(1) Elizabeth Anderton (d. 1672); died in infancy and was buried 6 September 1672;
(2) twin, Hugh Anderton (1673-1721) (q.v.);
(3) twin, William Anderton (1673-1718), born 20 February 1672/3; a Benedictine monk whose name in religion was Placid; prior of the English priory in Paris 1713-17; died 4 April 1718;
(4) Thomas Anderton (1675-1741), born 22 May 1675; a secular R.C. priest (ordained in Rome, 1702); chaplain at Towneley Hall (Lancs), 1705-41; R.C. archdeacon of Lancashire, 1732-41; died 13 July 1741;
(5) James Anderton (d. 1720); died 30 January 1719/20;
(6) Isabel Anderton (fl. 1722); married, c.1710, Robert Plumpton (b. 1670) of Plumpton (Yorks WR) but had no issue; living 1722;
(7) Mary Anderton (fl. 1735); died unmarried; living in 1735;
(8) Margaret Anderton (d. 1771); married Simeon Jenkinson (d. 1715/6) of Bleasdale (Lancs) but had no issue; will proved 1 June 1771.
He inherited the Euxton Hall estate from his father in 1670.
He died 21 May 1704. His wife died 26 February 1702/3.
Anderton, Hugh (1673-1721) of Euxton Hall. Eldest son of William Anderton (1638-1704) of Euxton Hall and his wife Mary, daughter of William Farington of Worden, born 20 February 1672/3. An active participant in the Jacobite rising in 1715, for which he was attainted for High Treason and outlawed, 24 July 1716. He married, about 26 June 1707, Catherine (1676-1762), daughter of Francis Trappes-Bymand (d. 1701) and eldest sister and eventual co-heir of Francis Trappes-Bymand (d. 1761) of Nidd Hall (Yorks NR), and had issue:
(1) William Anderton (c.1708-44) (q.v.);
(2) Francis Anderton (c.1710-42); educated at the English College, Douai; a surgeon in Preston; buried at Leyland, 29 January 1741/2;
(3) Robert Anderton (b. c.1712); died young;
(4) Catherine Anderton (d. 1724); died unmarried and was buried, 14 April 1724;
(5) Elizabeth Anderton (d. 1742) of Ormskirk (Lancs); died unmarried and was buried, 27 December 1742;
(6) Mary Anderton (d. 1796) of Ormskirk (Lancs); died unmarried and was buried at Leyland, 18 March 1796; will proved 23 March 1796;
(7) Margaret Anderton (1717-98); married, 4 May 1752, Robert Blundell (d. 1773) of Ince Blundell Hall and had issue; died 28 January 1798.
He inherited the Euxton Hall estate from his father in 1704, but in 1716 his life interest was forfeited on his outlawry, and subsequently bought on behalf of his family at the auction sale in 1719.
He died 23 May 1721. His widow died in 1762.
Anderton, William (c.1708-44) of Euxton Hall. Eldest son of Hugh Anderton (1673-1721) of Euxton Hall and his wife Catherine, sister of Francis Trappes of Nidd Hall (Yorks NR), born c.1708. Educated at English College, Douai; Mayor of the Jacobite mock corporation of Walton-le-Dale, 1734. He married, about June 1738, Hon. Mary (d. 1752), daughter and co-heir of Richard Molyneux, 5th Viscount Molyneux, and widow of Thomas Clifton of Lytham (Lancs), and had issue:
(1) twin, Francis Anderton (1739-79), born 20 August 1739; became a Benedictine monk at Douai, 1757; later chaplain to Mr. Lacon of Linley Hall (Salop); died at Linley Hall, 5 July 1779;
(2) twin, William Anderton (1739-1811) (q.v.);
(3) Catherine Anderton (1741-1821); married, 1 May 1770, Sir Robert Cansfield Gerard (c.1725-84), 9th bt. of Bryn and Garswood (Lancs) and had issue; died 13 January 1821;
(4) Anne Anderton (1744-1807), born 16 April or 13 May 1744; a French Dominican nun at Calais whose name in religion was Catherine, until the French Revolution; died 30 November 1807.
His father's life interest in the Euxton Hall estate was bought in his interest in 1719 and he inherited the freehold on his father's death in 1721. He rebuilt the house in 1739. After his death the estate passed to his eldest son, who became a Benedictine monk and transferred the estate in 1762 or 1763 to his twin brother.
He was buried 17 October 1744. His widow died at Woolton (Lancs), 5/15 February 1752.
Anderton, William (1739-1811) of Euxton Hall. Second son of William Anderton (c. 1708-44) and his wife, the Hon. Mary, daughter of Richard Molyneux, 5th Viscount Molyneux, born 20 August 1739. Educated at St. Gregory's, Douai. He married, 11 October 1769, Frances Sobieski (d. 1816), daughter of Christopher Ince of Ince New Hall, Wigan (Lancs) and had issue:
(1) William Ince Anderton (1770-1848) (q.v.);
(2) Robert Charles Anderton (1771-1842) of Clayton Villa, Clayton Green, Chorley (Lancs), born 23 November 1771; died unmarried, 14 September 1842;
(3) Thomas Christopher Anderton (1773-1834) of Liverpool, born 23 February 1773; Lieutenant of Ashton troop of Lancashire Volunteer Cavalry, 1798; died unmarried, 11 September 1834;
(4) Francis Joseph Anderton (1775-1863) of Clayton Villa, born 17 April 1775; died unmarried, 6 January 1863.
His elder twin brother made over the Euxton Hall estate to him in 1762 or 1763, and he acquired the Ince New Hall estate in right of his wife.
He died 6 August 1811. His widow died 3 July 1816.
Anderton, Col. William Ince (1770-1848) of Euxton Hall. Eldest son of William Anderton (1739-1811) of Euxton Hall and his wife Frances Sobieski, daughter and heir of Christopher Ince of Ince New Hall, Wigan (Lancs), born 2 September 1770. JP for Lancashire; Major in 2nd Lancashire Fencible Regiment of Light Dragoons; Lt-Col. of Wigan Rifle Corps; Col. of Warrington Militia. He married, 17 November 1823, Mary Frances (d. 1858), daughter of Christopher Crooke of London, and had issue:
(1) William Michael Ince Anderton (1825-84) (q.v.).
He inherited Euxton Hall and Ince Hall from his father in 1811, but he seems to have sold Ince Hall about 1818.
He died 8 November 1848 and was buried at St Mary's R.C. church, Euxton. His widow died 28 December 1858.
|William Michael Ince |
(1.1) Mary Louisa Anne Frances Josephine Martha Anderton (1852-89), born 26 July 1852; married, 19 March 1873, Col. George Augustus Curzon (d. 1912) and had issue a daughter, later 17th Baroness Zouche; died 2 November 1889; will proved 27 May 1890 (estate £92);
(1.2) William Arthur Alphonsus Joseph Ince Anderton (1855-1926) (q.v.)
(1.3) Sir Francis Robert Ince Anderton (b. 1859) (q.v.);
(1.4) Emma Adelaide Mary Sobieski Anderton (b. 1860); married, 17 January 1887, Brig-Gen. Dayrell Talbot Hammond CB CBE (1856-1942) of Corballis, Dunsany (Meath) but had no issue; living in Ireland, 1911;
(2.1) Henry Philip John Anderton (1880-1938), born 7 June 1880; educated at Beaumont, Stonyhurst and Magdalen College, Oxford; author of antiquarian papers on Lancashire subjects, including Collections relating to the family of Anderton, 1906; died unmarried in Switzerland, 7 March 1938; will proved 24 August 1938 (estate £183,366);
(2.2) Maud Margaret Dolores Anna Anderton (1873-1929), born 29 September 1873; married, 19 July 1898, Edmund Arthur Le Gendre Starkie of Huntroyde (Lancs) and had issue one son, who died in infancy; died 19 March 1929; her will was proved 8 October 1929 (estate £34,085).
He inherited Euxton Hall from his father in 1848 and rebuilt or remodelled the house in 1848-50. He also built a new R.C. church in Euxton, 1864-65 and rebuilt the Catholic chapel at Euxton Hall, 1866.
He died 24 January 1884; his will was proved 13 March 1884 (estate £16,058). His first wife died 14 October 1866. His widow died in Switzerland, 19 January 1929; her will was proved 1 November 1929 (estate £4,635).
Anderton, Col. William Arthur Alphonsus Joseph Ince (1855-1926) of Euxton Hall. Elder son of William Michael Ince Anderton (1825-84) of Euxton Hall and his first wife, Lady Emma Frances Mary Plunkett, daughter of 9th Earl of Fingall, born 22 December 1855. Educated at the Oratory School. Major in Grenadier Guards (retired 1896); Col. commanding Knockaloe Prisoner of War camp in the Isle of Man, 1915-19; JP and DL for Lancashire. He married, 1887, Ida Mary Winifred (fl. 1952), daughter of L.J. Johnstone of Barnard Castle (Yorks NR) but had no issue.
He inherited Euxton Hall from his father in 1884. At his death he was succeeded by his brother, Sir Francis Anderton.
He died 29 August 1926; his will was proved 30 April and 15 July 1927 (estate £107,131).
Anderton, Sir Francis Robert Ince (1859-1950). Second son of William Michael Ince Anderton (1825-84) of Euxton Hall and his first wife, Lady Emma Frances Mary Plunkett, daughter of 9th Earl of Fingall, born 22 February 1859. Educated at the Oratory School, Edgbaston; London University (MA 1879) and Lincolns Inn (called to bar, 1882); barrister-at-law on the Northern Circuit; JP; member of London County Council 1913-25 for Hammersmith (chairman, 1922-23; alderman, 1925-31); knighted, 1923; appointed Knight Commander of the Order of St Gregory the Great by Pope Pius XI, 1923. His portrait by George Fiddes Watt is in the Guildhall Art Gallery, London. He was unmarried and without issue.
He inherited Euxton Hall from his elder brother in 1926 but sold it the following year. At the time of his death he lived at Castle Mead, Windsor (Berks).
He died 4 January 1950, aged 90; his will was proved 16 May 1950 (estate £12,642).
Anderton family of Clayton and Bardsea Hall, Ulverston.
Anderton, James (b. 1542) of Clayton and Bardsea. Eldest son of Hugh Anderton (1516-66) of Euxton Hall and his first wife, Grace, daughter of John Butler of Middle Rawcliffe Hall (Lancs), born 1542. Educated at Grays Inn (admitted 1562). He subscribed towards the defence of the realm in 1588-9 and signed the loyal address of the Lancashire gentry to King James I on his accession, 1603. He was married at Leyland, 18 June 1554 (annulled in Chester consistory court, 1561, on her petition, on the grounds of their ages and of parental compulsion), to Elizabeth (1542/3-1611), daughter and heir of Richard Elston of High Brockholes, Grimsargh (Lancs). His was first legally married about 1575 to Dorothy (d. 1627), elder daughter and co-heir of Nicholas Bardsey of Bardsea, and had issue:
(1) James Anderton (1576-1658) (q.v.);
(2) Hugh Anderton (1578-1603); educated privately at Oxford, 1591-92 and at Grays Inn, 1593-99; admitted to English College at Rome, 1600; received into Society of Jesus on his deathbed; died 9 or 19 September 1603;
(3) Thurstan Anderton (b. c.1580); educated at Barnards Inn and Grays Inn (admitted 1600/1); living at Clayton-le-Woods, 1641;
(4) William Anderton (d. 1600); born before 2 April 1582; died November 1600;
(5) Matthew Anderton (1585-1640); educated at Brasenose College, Oxford (admitted 1602; BA 1602) and All Souls College, Oxford (BCL 1609); Vicar-General and Commissary of the Archbishop of York during his visitation of the Diocese of Chester, 1633-34; Judge of Vice-Admiralty at Chester, 1635; married Eleanor (d. 1639), daughter of Edmund Gamull, mayor of Chester, and widow of Richard Swinton of Knutsford (Ches.) and Thomas Harvey, mayor of Chester, but had no issue; buried 29 April 1640;
(6) Thomas Anderton (d. 1600); born before June 1586; died about November 1600;
(7) Anne Anderton (fl. 1599); married by 1599 her kinsman, Henry Banastre (d. 1617) of Bank Hall, Bretherton (Lancs); died before 1616;
(8) Dorothy Anderton (fl. 1630-39); married, about December 1630, William Parker of Malton (Yorks NR); living 1639.
He inherited his father's property at Clayton-le-Woods (Lancs) in 1566, and nearly all the Lancashire property of the Bardsey family in right of his wife in 1586.
His date of death is unknown.
Anderton, James (1576-1658) of Clayton and Bardsea Hall. Eldest son of James Anderton (b. 1542) and his wife Dorothy, daughter and co-heir of Nicholas Bardsey of Bardsea, born 1576. Educated as a private scholar at Oxford University (matriculated 1590) and Grays Inn (admitted 1593). He compounded for not accepting the honour of knighthood, 1633; but was a supporter of the Royalist cause and was taken prisoner by the Parliamentarians at the capture of Preston, 9 February 1642/3; his estates were seized and sold under the Rump Act of 1652, but subsequently restored to his son. He married 1st, about March 1601/2, Dorothy (d. 1603), daughter of Sir Richard Assheton of Middleton (Lancs), and 2nd, 29 July 1610, Anne (d. 1660), daughter of Thomas Shuttleworth of Forcett Hall (Yorks NR) and sister of Richard Shuttleworth of Gawthorpe (Lancs), and had, among other issue who died young or unmarried:
(1.1) Capt. James Anderton (1603-76) (q.v.);
(2.1) Nicolas Anderton (1613-43), baptised 21 June 1613; Captain in the Royalist army and Governor of Greenhalgh Castle, Garstang which he long defended until he was killed in a Parliamentarian assault, 1643;
(2.2) Dorothy Anderton (1615-97) of Bardsea, baptised 25 July 1615; married, 1635, Thomas Singleton (d. 1643) of Staining (Lancs); will proved 10 July 1697;
(2.3) Thomas Anderton (1618-46), baptised 17 February 1617/18; Captain in the Royalist army; killed in action, 1646;
(2.4) Thurstan Anderton (1619-83) of Clayton and Bardsea, baptised November 1619; a R.C. secular priest (ordained 1646); buried 29 August 1683;
(2.5) Matthew Anderton (1621-42); a Captain in the Royalist army; killed in a skirmish at Sheriff Hutton (Yorks WR) in the summer of 1642;
(2.6) Anne Anderton (1622-1701); married, after 1669, John Hoghton (d. 1676) of Park Hall, Chorley (Lancs) but died without issue, and was buried 7 December 1701;
(2.7) Christopher Anderton (1626-94) of Bardsea; one of the R.C. JPs appointed by King James II, 1687; died unmarried; buried 14 December 1694;
(2.8) Mary Anderton (1629-1709); inherited Bardsea from her brother Christopher, 1694, but sold it to 4th Viscount Molyneux, 26 May 1705; died unmarried and was buried 22 February 1708/9.
He inherited the Clayton and Bardsea estates from his father. At his death they passed to the only son of his first marriage.
He was buried at Leyland (Lancs), 31 May 1658. His first wife died in childbirth early in 1603. His widow was buried at Leyland, 24 December 1660.
Anderton, Capt. James (1603-76) of Clayton and Bardsea Hall. Only child of James Anderton (1576-1658) of Clayton and Bardsea and his first wife Dorothy, daughter of Sir Richard Assheton of Middleton (Lancs), born early in 1603. He was under arms with the Earl of Derby at Garstang in 1651. He married, c.1660-64, Jane [surname unknown] (who married 2nd, [forename unknown] Polwhele and had issue two sons); but had no issue.
He inherited the Clayton and Bardsea estates from his father in 1658. At his death without issue they were divided among his surviving half-brothers. Thurstan Anderton sold Clayton to 3rd Viscount Molyneux 16 March 1682/3; Christopher bequeathed Bardsea to his sister Mary Anderton, who sold it to 4th Viscount Molyneux, 26 May 1705.
He was buried in the cloisters at Westminster Abbey, 11 July 1676.