In 1879 George Stacey Albright (1855-1945), Arthur's second son, joined the family firm and he remained engaged with it for many decades. After the death of his wife in 1927 he purchased as a retirement home Bromsberrow Place in Gloucestershire which he had been renting for many years as a base for hunting with the Ledbury Hunt. His only son having been killed in the First World War, at his death he bequeathed the estate to the children of his younger brother, Alfred Beaumont Albright of Grimley House, Bromsgrove (Worcs), the eldest of whom, Dinah Albright (1896-1990), bought out her siblings and lived in the house until her death. Bromsberrow Place was sold after her death and has since been immaculately restored.
|Bromsberrow Place: detail of the shellwork in the recently-completed grotto. © Nicholas Kingsley: all rights reserved.|
The Yate family were landowners in Bromsberrow from 1663, when Rice Yate of Gloucester bought the Hook House estate. They built up their holding and in 1708 Walter Yate acquired the manor, previously attached to Bromsberrow Court. Hook House was then a modest semi-timbered, farmhouse, which it seems likely that Yate rebuilt as a three storey, astylar, H-plan house facing east, with a three bay centre and slightly projecting two bay wings.
|Design by Ferdinando Stratford, perhaps related to his estimate for completing the house on Conigree Hill c.1762|
RIBA Drawings Collection SB90.
The composition of the wings may owe something to Isaac Ware’s Wrotham Park in Middlesex, but the scheme for the decoration of one wall of a Music Room mixed Baroque and Rococo elements in a decidedly robust spirit. The interior decoration design is annotated in a 19th century hand ‘Now the dining-parlour’, which may imply that it relates to another house entirely.
|Robert Adam's unexecuted plans for a house at Bromsberrow, 1761.|
Sir John Soane Museum, Adam 44/75-76. © Soane Museum. All rights reserved.
|Bromsberrow Place: stable block. © Nicholas Kingsley. All rights reserved.|
Inside, the construction of the new range gave the house the complex plan of two parallel ranges linked by a toplit open-well main staircase in the centre of the house which gave access to the first floor rooms on the west side. This now has a curved shape, but has evidently been remodelled (perhaps in the 1820s) out of an early or mid 18th century staircase of different form with a ramped handrail. Two smaller staircases remained at either end of the older part of the house to service the three storeys on that side of the building, and these were supplemented by yet another curving staircase in the later 19th century. At the same time as the house was rebuilt, a park containing several plantations and a small lake was created to provide an appropriate setting for the house.
|Bromsberrow Place: entrance front as remodelled by George Basevi, c.1825. © Nicholas Kingsley. All rights reserved.|
Inside, Basevi had to redecorate the entrance hall for its new function, and it has simple Greek doorcases and a screen of columns on the entrance side. The dining room was altered too, with two pairs of yellow scagliola pilasters defining the serving alcove and a new chimneypiece; and the chimneypiece in the music room is probably also of this date. Basevi probably also built the splendid eight-bay camellia house at the rear of the house, later used by Dinah Albright for her collection of orchids and other exotic plants.
|Bromsberrow Place: the conservatory probably designed by George Basevi.|
© Nicholas Kingsley. All rights reserved.
Albright family of Bromsberrow Place
|Arthur Albright (1811-1900)|
(1) Rachel Anna Albright (1849-1928); born 24 July 1849; married, 30 January 1890, Wilson (1846-1930), son of Josiah King, and had issue one daughter; died in London, 30 November 1928;
(2) Mary Deborah Albright (1850-1936); born 26 December 1850; married, 30 December 1890, Col. Sir Colin Campbell Scott-Moncrieff (1836-1916), kt., son of Robert Scott-Moncrieff, but had no issue; died in London, 8 October 1936;
(3) Wilhelmine Albright (1852-72); born 2 July 1852; died unmarried, 30 July 1872, aged 20;
(4) William Arthur Albright (1853-1942); born 13 October 1853; married 11 September 1897, Priscilla (1850-1946), daughter of Joseph Sturge of Edgbaston, but had no issue; died 13 July 1942;
(5) George Stacey Albright (1855-1945) (q.v.);
(6) John Francis Albright (1857-1914); born 15 April 1857; educated at Grove House School, Tottenham (Middx); married in Sydney (Australia), 22 January 1896, Ellen Charlotte Caroline (1865-1944), daughter of George William Johnson and had issue two sons and two daughters; died in Woking (Surrey), 30 December 1914;
(7) Maria Catharine Albright (1859-1945); born 25 February 1859; Quaker missionary in Madagascar; died unmarried, 27 May 1945;
(8) Alfred Beaumont Albright (1861-1932) (q.v.).
He lived in George Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham and later at 'Mariemont', Westborne Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, and from 1877 at Finstall Farm, Bromsgrove (Worcs).
He died at 11 Cheyne Walk, Chelsea, London, on 3 July 1900, aged 89; his will was proved 7 August 1900 (estate £112,305). His wife died 15 March 1899, aged 78; her will was proved 2 May 1899 (estate £1,280).
Albright, George Stacey (1855-1945) CBE, of Bromberrow Place. Second son of Arthur Albright (1811-1900) and his wife Rachel, daughter of George Stacey of Tottenham (Middx), born 15 June 1855. Educated at Grove House School, Tottenham, and Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1875; BA 1879; MA 1883; Rugby 'blue', 1877); Director of Albright & Wilson Ltd; during WW1 was on the Airships Committee of the Board of Invention & Research; CBE 1920. JP and County Alderman for Worcestershire; Chairman of Higher Education Committee of Worcestershire County Council. He married, 29 November 1883, Isabella Margaret (1861-1927), daughter of Smith Harrison of Wanstead (Essex) and had issue:
(1) Ursula Margaret Albright (1884-96); born 29 November 1884; died 22 January 1896, aged 11;
(2) Maj. Martin Chicheley Albright (1886-1917); born 29 August 1886; served in WW1 with Queens Own Worcestershire Hussars; married, 3 January 1916, Barbara Mary (1895-1939), daughter of Algernon Hugh Peter Strickland of Apperley Court (Glos) but had no issue; died at Huj (Palestine) of wounds received in action, 8 November 1917.
He rented and in 1929 bought Bromsberrow Place from Frank Ricardo. At his death without surviving issue it passed to his niece, Dinah Albright.
He died 28 December 1945, aged 90. His wife died 30 September 1927.
Albright, Alfred Beaumont (1861-1932), of Grimley House, Bromsgrove (Worcs). Youngest son of Arthur Albright (1811-1900) and his wife Rachel, daughter of George Stacey of Tottenham (Middx), born 21 August 1861. Educated at Grove House School, Tottenham (Middx). He married, 30 April 1895, Mabel Agnes (b. 1875), daughter of Frederick Everitt and had issue:
(1) (Geraldine) Dinah Albright (1896-1990) (q.v.);
(2) Rachel Patience Albright (b. 1898); born 1 October 1898; died unmarried, April 1988, aged 89;
(3) Jocelyn Beaumont Albright (b. 1900); born 9 December 1900; died unmarried, 12 March 1982.
He lived at Grimley House, Bromsgrove; at his death this passed to his son, Jocelyn and was sold after the latter's death in 1982.
He died 15 February 1932.
Albright, (Geraldine) Dinah (1896-1990), of Bromsberrow Place. Elder daughter of Alfred Beaumont Albright (1861-1932) of Grimley House, Bromsgrove (Worcs) and his wife Mabel Agnes, daughter of Frederick Everitt, born 10 March 1896. She was an expert plantswoman, specialising in orchids and other exotics. She was unmarried.
Inherited a share in the Bromsberrow Place estate from her uncle, George Stacey Albright, in 1945, and bought out her co-heirs. After her death the estate was sold.
She died in June 1990. At her death she left significant bequests to the Diocese of Gloucester and the National Trust, and endowed the Albright Trust.
Location of archivesAlbright & Wilson Ltd: corporate, accounting, sales, technical, production, staff and subsidiaries' papers, corresp and letterbooks, 1841-1951 (Birmingham City Archives & Heritage Service MS 1724 (uncatalogued))
Albright family of Edgbaston: family correspondence and papers, 1671-1982 (Birmingham City Archives & Heritage Service MS 1509)
Coat of armsNone.
This account was last revised 12th April 2015.