Sunday, 26 May 2013

(43) Adderley (later Broughton-Adderley) of Coton Hall, Barlaston Hall and Tunstall Hall

Adderley of Coton
Ralph Adderley (d. 1598), the third son of Thomas Adderley (d. 1538) of Blackhall (see post 40) bought Coton Hall near Hanbury (Staffs) in 1558 from Lord Mountjoy, and it descended in the male line until the death of Ralph Adderley in 1751.  His elder daughter, Lettice Adderley, had married her kinsman Bowyer Adderley of Hams Hall (d. 1747), and their second son Ralph Adderley (d. 1819) inherited the Coton estate and seems to have been responsible for rebuilding the house c.1790.  Ralph’s eldest son, Ralph Adderley (1784-1851) married Rosamond Mills who brought her father’s property of Barlaston Hall (Staffs) into the family.  With the death of Ralph Thomas Adderley (d. 1868) the male line failed again, and the Coton and Barlaston estates passed to two of his sister’s sons in turn.  Hubert John Broughton-Adderley (1860-1931) added the Adderley name to his patronymic in 1886 and inherited both his father’s Tunstall estate (Salop) and the Coton and Barlaston properties, but sold Coton in 1920.  His son, Arthur Ralph Handcock Broughton-Adderley (1894-1962) sold Barlaston in 1931 and later Tunstall.  The Broughton family of Tunstall will be the subject of a future post.  

Coton Hall, Coton-in-the-Clay, Staffordshire
Coton Hall in 2002.  Image © Geoffrey R. Hood LRPS CPAGB via Images of England


The medieval manor house of Coton was rebuilt or remodelled by Ralph Adderley after he bought the estate in the later 16th century: his house was a timber-framed building with large gable-ends and a porch.  In 1642 the rooms included a hall, dining parlour with a chamber over it, a great chamber and also a gatehouse chamber.  This house appears to have survived until the 1780s, when it was replaced by the present building.  In the 1770s it was briefly the home of Charles Bowyer Adderley (1743-1826) who lived here with a man named Scott as 'hospitable bachelors' or 'social friends'.  It was their custom to indicate when they were in residence by flying a flag from a flagpole on Row hill near the house and to hold parties in a tent on the hill.  These parties evidently achieved some local renown and were referred to by Francis Mundy in his poem 'Needwood Forest':
Or mark upon yon round ascent,
The social flag and open tent,
Where life's smooth paths with sweets are strown
And mirth makes every hour its own.

The present building is a rectangular brick house, originally of three storeys, and perhaps retaining an earlier core, built c.1780-90 for Ralph Adderley, the brother of C.B. Adderley.  The five bay entrance front has end bays with tripartite windows: these must be a later insertion of the 1820s or 1830s, and it was probably at this time that the house was first stuccoed.  The entrance doorcase has columns with reeded capitals and a pediment.  Round the corner to the left is the garden front with canted bays at either end framing a two bay centre.  Inside the entrance hall opens into a staircase hall with contemporary staircase.  The house seems to have been let after the Adderleys acquired Barlaston Hall by marriage in 1816, and was certainly let by 1834.  For another  illustration, see here.  The top storey was removed after a fire in the late 1940s.

Descent: Ralph Adderley (d. 1598); to son, Richard Adderley (d. 1641); to son, Ralph Adderley (c.1593-1687); to son, Ralph Adderley (c.1680-1751); to daughter, Lettice Adderley (d. 1784), wife of Bowyer Adderley of Hams Hall; to second son, Ralph Adderley (1744-1819); to son, Ralph Adderley (1784-1851), who leased to John Bott by 1834; to son, Ralph Thomas Adderley (1826-68); to nephew, Ralph Broughton Adderley (1863-85); to brother, Hubert John Broughton-Adderley (1860-1931), who leased in 1891 to Thomas P. Kempson and later to the Brace family; he sold the estate in 1920; to son, Arthur Ralph Handcock Broughton-Adderley (1894-1962), who sold the house and grounds 1945 to Frederick Newton; sold 1980 to Mr. & Mrs J. Newell.

Barlaston Hall, Staffordshire
Barlaston Hall since restoration.  Image: Peter I. Vardy.  Licensed under a Creative Commons licence

Designed by Sir Robert Taylor in 1756-58 for Thomas Mills.  It is an astylar five bay red brick villa; the entrance front has a boldly projecting pedimented three bay centre and an oculus in the pediment; the garden side has a central bow; and the side elevations have canted bows with outsize Venetian windows above.  The house is of three storeys above a stone basement, and a plat band divides the ground and first floors.  The windows retain Taylor’s trademark octagonal glazing bars.  The house passed by marriage to the Adderleys of Coton in 1816 and they retained it until 1937 when it was sold to Wedgwood & Co.  It was occupied by the Bank of England during the Second World War but thereafter found no settled use and was abandoned in the 1960s.  It rapidly became derelict due to dry rot, vandalism and subsidence.  The hall was rescued by the determined efforts of Marcus Binney, author of a biography of Sir Robert Taylor, and the charity SAVE, who completed external restoration c.1990 and then sold the house to James and Carol Hall, who carried out an exemplary internal restoration, c.1992-97.  The house now once again has fine Rococo plasterwork and a good staircase.
Barlaston Hall: the library before restoration.  Image: Christopher Dalton for SAVE

Descent: Samuel Bagnall settled the estate on the marriage in 1742 of his daughter Hester Bagnall and Thomas Mills (d. 1802); to grandson, William Mills (d. c.1805); to son, Thomas Mills (d. 1817); to great-uncle, Thomas Mills (d. c.1822); to daughter, Rosamund Mills, wife of Ralph Adderley (1781/84-1851); to son, Ralph Thomas Adderley (1826-68); to nephew, Ralph Broughton Adderley (1863-85); to brother, Hubert John Broughton-Adderley (1860-1931); to son, Arthur Ralph Handcock Broughton-Adderley (1894-1962), who sold 1937 to Wedgwood & Co.; sold to SAVE Britain’s Heritage c.1984; sold to James & Carol Hall, c.1992.

Tunstall Hall, Shropshire
Entrance front of Tunstall Hall in 1989. © Nicholas Kingsley.
Licensed under a Creative Commons licence

An austere nine by four bay three storey red brick house built c.1732 for William Church, perhaps to the designs of Francis Smith.  The house is crowned by a plain cornice and parapet; there are no breaks and no quoins to enliven the facades.  On the west (entrance) side there is a doorcase with a segmental pediment and windows with triangular pediments on the ground floor; above a double plat band the first floor windows have plain architraves and the top floor windows are square.  This is a Palladian vocabulary used in an un-Palladian way.  
Garden front of Tunstall Hall in 1989.  © Nicholas Kingsley.
Licensed under a Creative Commons licence

The east front has a central doorway with heavy Gibbs surround and triangular pediment.  The south end is dominated by a broad off-centre late 18th century full-height canted bay.  Inside there is a two-storey entrance hall with bold plaster decoration; the upper corridor is taken across the back of the hall on a balustraded balcony.  The dining room has presumably mid 19th century plasterwork with vine-decorated bands and a large egg-and-dart cornice.

Descent: William Church (fl. 1732); to daughter Eleanor, wife of Peter Broughton (1716-77) of Lowdham Hall (Notts); to son, Rev. Peter Strey Broughton (c.1745-1827); to son, Peter Broughton (1788-1870); to son, Peter Broughton (1822-81); to brother, John Lambart Broughton (1831-1914); to son, Hubert John Broughton-Adderley (1860-1931); to son, Arthur Ralph Handcock Broughton-Adderley (1894-1962); sold before 1953 and used first as a college and later as a care home.

Adderley (later Broughton-Adderley) family of Coton Hall, Barlaston Hall and Tunstall Hall
Information on the 17th century generations of this family is sadly incomplete; if anyone can help fill in the details I will be particularly pleased to hear from them.

Adderley, Ralph (d. 1598) of Coton-under-Needwood.  Third son of Thomas Adderley (d. 1538) of Blackhall and his wife Joan, daughter of John Thirkill of Smallwood (Cheshire), born about 1510.  An eminent lawyer; High Sheriff of Staffordshire, 1574-75; Custos Rotulorum for Staffordshire.  He married first, 10 April 1554, Margaret, daughter of Thomas Bagot of Blithfield and second, Felicia alias Phelice (d. 1607), daughter of Henry Milward of Doveridge (Derbys), and had issue:
(1.1) Richard Adderley of Coton (c.1557-1641) (q.v.);
(2.1) William Adderley (c.1560-1615) of London, merchant, m. 10 September 1599 Mary, daughter of Thomas Henshaw of London;
(2.2) Thomas Adderley of Ireland, m. Mary, daughter of Sir John Dalzell of Dromertie;
(2.3) Ralph Adderley (d. 1613) of Alrewas, m. 3 August 1609, Elizabeth, daughter of John Noel of Welsborough (Leics) and had issue; ancestor of the Adderleys of Hams Hall (see post 41).
(2.4) John Adderley (d. 1651/2) of London and South Mimms (Middx), m. Winifred, daughter of Thomas Oxborough of Kings Lynn; died without surviving male issue;
(2.5) Walter Adderley (fl. 1583)
(2.6) George Adderley (d. 1599) of London; died without issue;
(2.7) Ellen Adderley, m. Philip Hollins;
(2.8) Dorothy Adderley (d. 1602/3), m. Thomas Baskerville of Old Withington, Prestbury (Cheshire);
(2.9) Grace Adderley, m. Edward Richardson;
(2.10) Mary Adderley.
He purchased the Coton Hall estate from Lord Mountjoy in 1558.
He died 20 April 1598, and was buried at Hanbury (Staffs), where he and his wives are commemorated by an alabaster monument of a form prescribed in his will, which was proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury, 28 October 1598.  [His date of death is often given incorrectly as 1595, but his will was made in 1597].

Adderley, Richard (c.1557-1641) of Coton Hall.  Only son of Ralph Adderley (d. 1595) and his first wife, Margaret, daughter of Thomas Bagot of Blithfield; born c.1557 (aged 26 in 1583).  He married Ellen, daughter of James Abney of Willesley (Derbys) and had issue:
(1) Ralph Adderley (c.1593-1687) of Coton (q.v.);
(2) Sarah Adderley (b. 1600), m. Rev. Joseph Leigh, vicar of Hanbury (Staffs);
(3) Walter Adderley, died unmarried;
(4) Thomas Adderley;
(5) Susan Adderley;
(6) Mary Adderley;  married 1st, John Agard (c.1583-c.1657) of Foston Hall and married 2nd, 1659, Thomas Povey (1613/4-c.1705) but died without issue;
(7) Margaret Adderley;
(8) Anne Adderley;
(9) Ellen Adderley;
(10) Rebecca Adderley;
(11) Elizabeth Adderley.
He inherited the Coton Hall estate from his father in 1598.
He died in 1641.

Adderley, Ralph (c.1593-1687) of Coton Hall.  Eldest son of Richard Adderley (d. 1641) and his wife Ellen, daughter of James Abney of Willesley (Derbys), born c.1593.  He married Mary, daughter and heir of Tristram Cottrell (d. 1613) and had issue:
(1) Richard Adderley of Coton (b. 1634) (q.v.);
(2) John Adderley;
(3) Mary Adderley;
(4) Caroline Adderley.
He inherited the Coton Hall estate from his father in 1641.  At his death it passed to his grandson, Ralph Adderley (c.1680-1751).
He died in 1687, aged about 94.

Adderley, Richard (c.1634-c.1685) of Coton Hall.  Son of Ralph Adderley (c.1593-1687) and his wife Mary, daughter and heir of Tristram Cottrell (d. 1613); born about 1634.  Educated at Repton School, St. John's College, Cambridge (admitted 1651) and Grays Inn (admitted 1651).  JP for Staffordshire.  He married 26 August 1666 at Bramshall (Staffs), Jane Lathropp and had issue including:
(1) Ralph Adderley (c.1680-1751) (q.v.).
He died in the lifetime of his father, c.1685.

Adderley, Ralph (c.1680-1751) of Coton Hall.  Elder son of Richard Adderley (b. c.1634).  He married c.1717 Lettice (c.1680-1766), daughter of Thomas Kynnersley (d. 1662!) of Loxley Park (Warks) and had issue:
(1) Lettice Adderley (d. 1784) (q.v.); 
(2) Jane Adderley (c.1720-79), m. July 1751, Rev. Henry Offley Wright (1719-99) of Mobberley (Cheshire), vicar of Derby 1749-72, and had issue five sons and two daughters; died 1779, aged 59.
He inherited the Coton Hall estate from his grandfather in 1687.  At his death it passed to his elder daughter and her husband.
He died 3 November 1751 and was buried in the chancel of Hanbury (Staffs) church.

Adderley, Lettice (d. 1784) of Coton Hall.  Elder daughter and co-heiress of Ralph Adderley (d. 1751) of Coton Hall and his wife Lettice, daughter of Thomas Kynnersley of Loxley Hall (Warks).  She married 14 July 1741 (as his second wife) her distant cousin, Bowyer Adderley (1705-47) of Hams Hall (Warks) and had issue:
(1) Charles Bowyer Adderley (1743-1826) of Hams Hall (see post 41);
(2) Ralph Adderley (1744-1819) (q.v.);
(3) Arden Adderley (1747-67); born 23 April 1747; died 24 June 1767.
She inherited the Coton Hall estate from her father in 1751, and also had an interest in his Hams Hall estate.  Hams Hall passed to their elder son, and Coton Hall to their younger surviving son.  In later years she lived in Chelsea (Middx).
She died 18 July 1784; buried at Lea Marston (Warks) where she is commemorated by a Coade stone monument.

Adderley, Ralph (1744-1819) of Coton Hall.  Second son of Bowyer Adderley (1705-47) and his second wife Lettice, daughter of Ralph Adderley of Coton Hall (Staffs), born 12 June 1744.  He married, 4 August 1778, Dorothy (d. 1797), daughter and heir of Thomas Kynnersley of Loxley Park (Warks) and widow of Thomas Birch Savage of Elmley Castle (Worcs), and had issue:
(1) Laetitia Penelope Adderley (1779-1860), born 3 May 1779; m.1, 4 January 1798, Andrew Hacket (d. 1815) of Moxhull Hall (Warks) and m.2, 22 June 1820 The Hon. Berkeley Octavius Edwards (later Noel) (d. 1841), son of Sir Gerard Edwardes (later Noel), 2nd bt.; died leaving issue, 18 January 1860;
(2) Charles Clement Adderley (1780-1818) of Knighton (Leics), m. 6 June 1811, Anna Maria (d. 1827), elder daughter of Sir Edmund Cradock Hartopp, 1st bt., of Four Oaks Hall, Sutton Coldfield (Warks), and had issue (see post 41);
(3) Ralph Adderley (1781-1851) of Barlaston Hall and Coton Hall (q.v.);
(4) Admiral Arden Adderley RN (1784-1864); m. 21 October 1823 Anne (d. 1851), daughter of W.R. Bishton of Shakerley House but died without issue, 15 January 1864; buried at Binstead Cemetery, Isle of Wight;
(5) Rev. George William Bowyer Adderley (1787-1872) of Fillongley Hall, m. 11 December 1823, Caroline (d. 1855), youngest daughter of John Taylor of Moseley Hall, Birmingham, but had no issue (see post 41);
He inherited the Coton Hall estate from his mother in 1784 and rebuilt the house about 1790.
He died 10 September 1819.  His wife died 10 June 1797.

Adderley, Ralph (1784-1851) of Coton Hall and Barlaston Hall. Second son of Ralph Adderley of Coton Hall (1744-1819) and his wife Dorothy, daughter and heir of Thomas Kynnersley of Loxley Park (Worcs), born 15 June 1781.  He married, 4 July 1816, Rosamond (d. 1856), daughter and heir of William Mills of Barlaston Hall and had issue:
(1) Sophia Catherine Adderley (1817-35), baptised 5 May 1818;
(2) Mary Elizabeth Adderley (1818?-1903?); died unmarried;
(3) Ralph Thomas Adderley (1826-68) (q.v.);
(4) Anne Selina Adderley (1829-1911) (q.v.);
(5) Randolph Ralph Adderley (1832-55), born 15 February 1832; served in 79th Regiment (Lt., 1854) and 60th Regiment (1st Lieutenant, 1854); died at King William's Town, Cape of Good Hope, 29 April 1855;
(6) Myles Bagnall Bowyer Adderley (b.1835), born 6 June 1835; educated at Harrow and Trinity College, Cambridge (admitted 1853); served at Lieutenant, Royal Horse Guards (retired, 1857); m. 1872 Rosina Hannah Jacobs; living in Bloomsbury, London in 1881.
He inherited the Coton Hall estate from his father in 1819 and Barlaston Hall in right of his wife in 1822.
He died 31 January 1851.

Adderley, Ralph Thomas (1826-68) of Coton Hall and Barlaston Hall.  Elder son of Ralph Adderley (1784-1851) of Coton Hall and Barlaston Hall, and his wife Rosamond, daughter and heir of William Mills of Barlaston Hall, baptised 18 March 1826.  Educated at Eton and Christ Church, Oxford (matriculated 1844).  High Sheriff of Staffordshire, 1866; Captain in Staffordshire Yeomanry.  He married, 28 April 1859, Maria Catherine Wilhelmina (d. 1907) (who m.2, Charles Coyney (d. 1883) of Weston Coyney (Staffs)), daughter of Peter Broughton of Tunstall Hall, but died without issue.
He inherited the Coton Hall and Barlaston Hall estates from his father in 1851.  At his death, they passed to his nephew, Ralph Broughton Adderley (1863-85) (q.v.).
He died 30 July 1868; will proved 21 September 1868 (estate under £4,000).  His widow died 19 July 1907.

Broughton (née Adderley), Anne Selina (1829-1911).  Youngest daughter of Ralph Adderley (1784-1851) of Coton Hall and Barlaston Hall, and his wife Rosamond, daughter and heir of William Mills of Barlaston Hall, born c.1830.  She married, 1859, John Lambert Broughton (1831-1914), son of Peter Broughton (d. 1870) of Tunstall Hall and Almington Hall (Staffs) and had issue:
(1) Hubert John Broughton-Adderley (1860-1931) (q.v.);
(2) Rosamond Broughton (1861-85), born 3 December 1861; m. 1881 Sir Delves Louis Broughton, 10th bt. (d. 1914) and had issue; died 11 October 1885;
(3) Ralph Broughton-Adderley (1863-85) (q.v.);
(4) Evelyn Selina Broughton (1865-1949), born 13 January 1865; m. 7 January 1890, Col. Charles Frederic Alex Turnbull JP (d. 1935), third son of J.G. Turnbull of Madras Civil Service and had issue; died 17 March 1949;
(5) Florence Broughton (1866-1935), m. 24 June 1889 Sir Henry Perryman Bowles bt. (d. 1943) of Forty Hall, Enfield (Middx);
(6) Eleanor Broughton (1868-1934), born 18 July 1868; died unmarried 9 November 1934;
(7) Amy Margeurite Broughton (1871-1929), born 23 April 1871; died February 1929.
Her husband inherited Tunstall Hall from his elder brother in 1881.
She died in Bath, 25 December 1911, aged 82 and was buried at Broughton (Cheshire) where she is commemorated by a monument in the graveyard; will proved 21 February 1876 (estate £19,075).  Her husband died 3 April 1914; his will was proved 28 May 1914 (estate £8,001).

Broughton, Ralph (1863-85).  Second son of John Lambert Broughton (1831-1914) and his wife Anne Selina, daughter of Ralph Adderley of Coton Hall and Barlaston Hall, born 17 July 1863.  Lieutenant, 9th Lancers.
He was bequeathed Coton Hall and Barlaston Hall by his uncle, Ralph Thomas Adderley (1826-68) in 1868, but died before coming into his inheritance.  At his death they passed to his elder brother.
He died at Simla (India), unmarried, 17 July 1885, aged 22.

Broughton-Adderley (né Broughton), Hubert John (1860-1931), of Tunstall Hall, Barlaston Hall and Coton Hall.  Elder son of John Lambert Broughton (1831-1914) and his wife Anne Selina, daughter of Ralph Adderley of Coton Hall and Barlaston Hall, born 16 August 1860.  Lieutenant, 4th North Staffordshire Regiment.  He assumed the additional surname of Adderley by royal licence, 22 September 1886.  He married, 14 January 1886, the Hon. Florence (d. 1934), daughter of Richard Handcock, 4th Baron Castlemaine, and had issue:
(1) Edith Rosamond Broughton-Adderley (1887-1949), m. 1911, Lt-Col. Frederick Guy Knight MC (d. 1953) of The Oaks, Queniborough (Leics), son of Joseph Guy Knight of Aston Hall, Stone (Staffs); died 21 November 1949;
(2) Peter Handcock Broughton-Adderley MC (1891-1918), educated at Eton and Exeter College, Oxford; served in Staffordshire Yeomanry and Royal NW Mounted Police (Canada); served in WW1 as a Captain in Scots Guards and died unmarried of wounds received in action, 16 October 1918;
(3) Arthur Ralph Handcock Broughton-Adderley (1894-1962) (q.v.);
(4) Edward Randolph Broughton-Adderley (1899-1982), educated at Eton; served in WW1 with Canadian Expeditionary Force; m.1, 6 December 1920 (div. 1926) Dorothy, daughter of T.R.F. Norris of Cheltenham and had issue 1 daughter; m.2, 1 June 1942 Audrey Evelyn, daughter of Ashurst Everard Menzies of London SW16 and had issue one son and one daughter; died 30 September 1982.
He inherited the Barlaston Hall and Coton Hall estates from his younger brother in 1885 and the Tunstall Hall estate from his father in 1914.  He sold the Coton Hall estate (but not the house) in 1920.
He died at Brighton, 9 April 1931.  Will proved 29 July and 17 September 1931 and 22 March 1933 (estate approx £30,000)

Broughton-Adderley, Arthur Ralph Handcock (1894-1962) of Tunstall Hall.  Eldest surviving son of Hubert John Broughton-Adderley (1860-1931) and his wife, the Hon. Florence, daughter of Richard Handcock, 4th Baron Castlemaine; born 21 July 1894.  Educated at Eton; served in Staffordshire Yeomanry and Royal NW Mounted Police (Canada); served WW1 and WW2 as Lieutenant, Scots Guards.  He married, 9 July 1919, Chloe (c.1889-1969), second daughter of Walter Philip of Portman Square, London W1, and had issue:
(1) Edome Broughton-Adderley (1920-2011), m.1 30 August 1941 (div. 1965) John Raymond Sharpe, son of Rev. Ernest Bell Sharpe of Perulia, Behar (India) and had issue one son and one daughter; m.2, 1980, George C. Lloyd-Roberts (1918-86); assumed her maiden surname by royal licence, 1963;
(2) Ann Selina Broughton-Adderley (1921-90), m. 1951 John A. (Jack) Berwick of Angmering-on-Sea (Sussex) and had issue two sons.
He inherited the Tunstall Hall and Barlaston Hall estates and Coton Hall from his father in 1931, but sold Barlaston to Wedgwood & Co. the same year, Coton Hall in 1945, and Tunstall Hall some time before his death.
He died 16 March 1962.  Administration of goods granted 14 October 1962 (estate £40,568).

Sources
Burke's Landed Gentry, successive editions; Staffordshire Gazette and County Standard, 12 December 1840, p. 4; Stirling Observer, 26 July 1855, p. 3; Sir N. Pevsner, The buildings of England: Staffordshire, 1974, pp. 65, 109; P. Reid, Burke’s & Savill’s Guide to Country Houses: vol. 2, West Midlands, 1980, p. 118; M. Binney, Sir Robert Taylor, 1984, passimS. Andreae, ‘A wallpaper discovery at Barlaston Hall’, Georgian Group Journal, 2001, pp. 125-32; J. Newman & Sir N. Pevsner, The buildings of England: Shropshire, 2006, pp. 447-48; VCH Staffordshire, vol. 10, 2007, p. 147.

Where are their papers?
Adderley (later Broughton-Adderley) family of Coton, Barlaston and Tunstall: deeds and estate papers for Shropshire estates 14th-20th cents (Shropshire RO 5194); deeds, estate and family papers for Staffordshire estates, 17th-20th cents (Staffordshire RO D587).

Revision
This account was last updated, 20 June 2014.

2 comments:

  1. George Lloyd Roberts died in 1986.
    Arthur Broughton Adderley did not rise beyond Lieutenant during his service in the SG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this information; I have corrected my account accordingly.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you have any additional information or corrections to offer, or if you are able to help with additional images of the people or buildings in this post.