|Adderley coat of arms|
Hams Hall, Warwickshire
|Hams Hall. Image: Matthew Beckett|
|St Helen's House, Derby in 2010. The house has since been restored. Image Ilkcam.com|
Hams Hall was let during the long minority of the second Charles Bowyer Adderley. On coming into his inheritance he laid out the grounds and terrace before the house with the assistance of William Sawrey Gilpin (1762-1843), installed in the hall a frieze by Bertel Thorwaldsen which he had commissioned from the sculptor when in Rome, and probably built the one bay, single-storey wings with blind but architecturally decorated fronts either side of the main block. Francis V.J. Arundale designed a boat house for the grounds in 1839 and the wings could also be to his design.
|Hams Hall: the garden front and the terrace created by Gilpin, photographed c.1909.|
The Life of Lord Norton tells us the 1852 constitution of New Zealand was planned here.
|Hams Hall: interior of the hall in c.1909 showing the Thorwaldsen frieze.|
In 1890 the house was completely gutted by fire but within a year was rebuilt without significant alterations; the work was personally supervised by Lord Norton, who employed no architect, and was carried out by Holland & Hannen, builders.
By the early 20th century the setting of the house had been compromised by coal mining and by the creeping approach of Birmingham's outer suburbs. The estate was sold in 1911 except for the house, which was taken down in 1920 and the materials sold. Hams Hall Power Station was built on the site of the house and its grounds.
Elements of the facade from Hams Hall were reused at Coates Manor in Gloucestershire, which was rebuilt in 1919-21 for the shipping magnate, Oswald Harrison (d. 1925). Remarkably, his architect was the Arts & Crafts designer, Ernest Barnsley, but the style of the house is so far removed from the craft integrity and sympathy to materials of Ernest Barnsley’s other work, that one must conclude he was little more than a clerk of works, carrying out the wishes of an unusually determined client.
Fillongley Hall, Warwickshire
|Fillongley Hall: south front of c.1825-30. Image: Webspinners|
|Fillongley Hall: north front added in 1840-41. Image: Webspinners|
This unassuming house was enlarged in 1840-41 by James Akroyd of Coventry, with a noble five bay two storey Grecian north front, in the middle of which is a loggia of two unfluted Ionic columns in antis. Akroyd also added the large bow-ended library projecting on the east side of the house.
|Fillongley Hall: entrance hall.|
Inside there is quite a grand entrance hall with four giant red scagliola columns in the corners and a glazed circular skylight; for views of the other interiors see here.
The Adderley family of Hams Hall and Fillongley Hall
He lived at Alrewas (Staffs).
He died in 1612/13 and was buried 15 February 1612/13. His widow died 1 May 1661, aged 82.
(2) Sir Charles Bowyer Adderley (1814-1905), 1st Baron Norton (q.v.);
|Sir C.B. Adderley, 1st Baron Norton|
(2) Julia Adderley (1845-48), baptised 15 January 1845; buried at Lea Marston, 24 August 1848
(3) Charles Leigh Adderley (1846-1926), 2nd Baron Norton (q.v.);
(4) Hon. Caroline Jane Adderley (1847-1907); lived at 30 Chester Square, London; died unmarried in London, 7 June 1907; will proved in London, 6 July 1907 (estate £20,414)
(5) Hon. Frances Georgina Mary Adderley (1849-1942); baptised 20 November 1849; lived at 21 Sloane Gardens, London; died unmarried, 28 December 1942; will proved at Llandudno, 24 May 1943 (estate £22,980);
(6) Hon. Evelyn Augusta Adderley (1851-1918), baptised 5 August 1851; lived at 30 Chester Square, London; died unmarried, 23 December 1918; will proved in London, 24 May 1918 (estate £15,126)
(7) Hon. Isabel Adderley (1852-1932), baptised 2 December 1852; m. 20 April 1876 Sir Vauncey Harpur Crewe, 10th and last bt. (d. 1924) of Calke Abbey (Derbys) and had issue; she died 19 June 1932; will proved in London, 12 August 1932 (estate £5,710 excluding settled land)
(8) Henry Arden Adderley (1854-1945), 5th Baron Norton (q.v.);
He inherited the Hams Hall estate from his great-uncle in 1826 and undertook improvements to the house and grounds c.1836-40. After a fire in 1890 he rebuilt the house.
(2) Ralph Bowyer Adderley (1872-1933), 3rd Baron Norton; born 9 October and baptised 17 November 1872; lived in Kensington; m. 1899 Mary Louisa (d. 1939), daughter of Robert Watson of Ballydarton (Carlow) and widow of Rupert George Inglis Brady, but died without issue, 17 October 1933; will proved 16 December 1933 (estate £970);
(7) Hon. Gladys Isabel Annette Adderley (1880-1960), baptised 6 May 1880; m. 13 March 1915 Capt. George Augustus Carteret Thynne and had issue;
Where are their papers?
Revision & Acknowledgements
This page was first published 22 May 2013 and was revised 2nd April and 27th May 2015. I am most grateful to Lord Norton for corrections and additional information.