Denmore, Bridge of Don, Aberdeenshire
|Denmore: watercolour of the entrance front in 1898. © RCAHMS|
The house was again remodelled c.1920 by Alexander George Robertson Mackenzie (1879-1963) of Aberdeen, who was the brother-in-law of the owner.
|Denmore: entrance front in disrepair in 1977. © RCAHMS|
|Denmore: side elevation in disrepair in 1977. © RCAHMS|
The Adams of DenmoreThomas Adam (1842-1919) of Denmore. Son of Thomas Adam (1806-93) of Eden and his wife Mary, daughter of Richard Birnie of Banff; born 21 May 1842. Shipowner of Aberdeen. He married 28 November 1872, Elizabeth Livingston (b. 1853), daughter of Lachlan McKinnon and had issue:
(1) Mary Livingston Adam (1873-1957), m.1, 1903, Arnold James Henderson (1876-1913) of Glasgow, shipbuilder and had issue, and m.2, 1930, Harold Bevington Foster (d. 1936) of London;
(2) Ethel Margaret Adam (1875-1942), m. 1896, Charles Morrison Patullo (d. 1922) and had issue;
(3) Frances Elizabeth Adam (1878-1980), m. William Dalzell Davidson of Daldavie, Pitfodels (Aberdeenshire) and had issue;
(4) Thomas Livingston Adam (1880-1959) (q.v.);
(5) Marjorie Blaikie Adam (1885-1976), m. Maj. James A. Crombie MC (d. 1931) and had issue.
He purchased the Denmore estate in about 1885.
He died 4 July 1919. Will proved 15 October 1919.
Thomas Livingston Adam (1880-1959) of Denmore. Only son of Thomas Adam (1842-1919) and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Lachlan McKinnon; born 15 January 1880. Educated at Rugby School. Shipowner of Aberdeen. He married 28 September 1910 Pheobe, daughter of Alexander Marshall Mackenzie LLD RSA of Aberdeen, architect, and had issue:
(1) Pheobe Livingston Adam (1911-82), m.1, 1934, Capt. R.E. de Salis Pirrie (d. 1948), son of Col. F.W. Pirrie and had issue, and m.2, 1948 Roger (d. 1982), son of Frank Hawkins of Clifton, Bristol and had further issue;
(2) Maj. Thomas Adam (1914-85) (q.v.);
(3) Susan Adam (b. 1916), m. 1945 Lt. J.K.T. Smithells RN, son of A.K. Smithells of Camberley and had issue;
(4) Alexander Chivas Gilbert Adam (b. 1919), m. 1947 Noreen Mary, daughter of Thomas Raleigh Gibbs of Kildordi, Nakuru (Kenya) and had issue.
He inherited the Denmore estate from his father in 1919.
He died 6 June 1959.
Maj. Thomas Adam (1914-85) of Denmore. Elder son of Thomas Livingston Adam (1880-1959) and his wife Pheobe, daughter of Alexander Marshall Mackenzie of Aberdeen, born 20 May 1914. Educated at Rugby School and Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst. Served in Gordon Highlanders (Major). He married 10 June 1939 Ann Patricia (d. 1999), daughter of Harry Roy Holcroft of Sonning (Berks) and had issue:
(1) Thomas Robertson Holcroft Adam (1940-2016), m. 1968 Antonella, daughter of Rear-Adm. Vittorio Patrelli-Campagnano, Italian Defence and Naval Attaché, and had issue two sons and one daughter; died in Rome, January 2016;
(2) Sarah Olivia Valentine Adam (1943-97), m. 1963 (div.), (Anthony) Jeremy, elder son of Col. Anthony Arthur Keith Rugge-Price CBE and had issue two sons and one daughter.
He inherited the Denmore estate from his father in 1959, but sold it in 1972.
He died 31 May 1985.