Chobham Place (Surrey)
|Chobham Place in 1824|
|Chobham Place in 2012|
Newton Ferrers (Cornwall)
|Newton Ferrers in the early 18th century: a drawing by Edmund Prideaux.|
|Newton Ferrers, from an early 20th century postcard|
These changes probably dated from a restoration of the house in the 1880s for Digby Collins, and its appearance at this time was captured in photographs published in 1904 in Country Life. The south-facing garden front is of eleven bays and symmetrical, with two bay projections at either end. In the centre is an entrance flanked by granite chamfered rusticated pilasters with tall moulded bases, decorated capitals and a moulded cornice. The east-facing entrance front had a central porte-cochere, enclosed in c.1970 to form a porch. The north side of the house was originally symmetrical with two short projecting wings, but only that on the east survived by the early 20th century. In the centre of the north front is a segmental gabled chimneystack with an open pediment in relief; a carved panel on the piano nobile contains the arms of the De Ferrers family.
In 1934 the house was sold to Sir Robert Abdy (1896-1976), 5th bt., who redecorated the interior in 1934-36. Without there being a single Modernist feature introduced, the combined effect of the cool, French-influenced and simplified decorative effects is to strongly convey a period flavour. The new interiors were recorded by Country Life, which is fortunate as in 1940 the house was badly damaged by fire.
|Newton Ferrers: press report of the fire in 1940|
In 1994-97 the ruinous west wing was reinstated and the rest of the house was meticulously restored to its late 17th century form for Andrew and Darcie Baylis. The central entrance on the south side leads into the saloon which occupies the whole of the centre of the house. A second entrance, at basement level on the east front, leads into a staircase hall, with a staircase up to the principal rooms. The hall has two large marbled columns (a survival from the 1930s interiors) and bolection-moulded panelling. A secondary staircase was re-created, modelled on one at Powderham Castle (Devon), and incorporates elements of the handrail of the original, lost in the 1940 fire. It has square newels, carved balusters, and a ramped handrail. The east wing retains high quality 17th century panelling and plain marble chimneypieces. The ante room has complete bolection moulded panelling with marbled veined ribs and a heavy late 17th century cornice, and gives access to the library on the south east and a bedroom on the north east. The decorative details from these rooms have been replicated in the restoration of the rest of the house.
Outside the entrance front are the remains of square granite piers, ball finials and square balusters which originally adorned the entrance court. A 17th century terrace stands between the wings of the south front, with an intact contemporary balustrade with bulbous granite balusters, supported by stone rubble retaining walls. This and the further terraces below were reputedly designed by ‘an Italian’.
Previous owners: John de Ferrers; to daughter, Isolda (fl. 1314), wife of Jeffery Coryton of Coryton (Devon); to son, William Coryton; to son, William Coryton; to son, Edward Coryton (fl. 1435); to son, John Coryton; to son, Richard Coryton; to son, Peter Coryton (fl. c.1540); to son, Richard Coryton (murdered 1565); to son, Peter Coryton (d. 1602); to son, William Coryton (1579-1651); to son, Sir John Coryton, 1st bt. (1621-80); to son, Sir John Coryton, 2nd bt. (1648-90); to brother, Sir William Coryton, 3rd bt. (1650-1711); to son, Sir John Coryton, 4th bt. (1690-1739); to widow, Dame Rachel Helyar ...Weston Helyar (fl. 1791-98)... Edward Helyar (d. 1831); William Helyar of Coker Court (Somerset) who sold 1834 to Edward Collins (1782-1855) of Truthen, St. Erme (Cornwall); to son, Edward Collins (b. 1833); to brother, Digby Collins (1836-1916); to ?son, Thurstan Collins (1858-1924); sold after his death... sold 1934 to Sir Robert Abdy, 5th bt. (1896-1976); to son, Sir Valentine Robert Duff Abdy, 6th bt. (1937-2012), who sold 1994 to Andrew & Darcie Baylis.
The Abdy baronets of Felix Hall
Abdy, Anthony (1579-1640), clothworker and East India merchant of London. Born 1579, seventh and youngest child of Roger Abdy (d. 1595) and his wife Mary, daughter of Richard White of Hutton (Essex); baptised All Hallows, Bread St., London, 18 October 1579. Alderman of London; sheriff of London, 1630-31; appointed director of East India Co., 1617 and deputy governor, 1639; member of the Worshipful Company of Clothworkers (master, 1632). Married 14 August 1610 St Mary Aldermary London, Abigail (d. 1640), youngest daughter of Sir Thomas Campbell, kt. (q.v.), (ironmonger and Governor of the East India Company, Lord Mayor of London in 1609-10) and had issue:
Abdy, Sir William (1689-1750), 4th bt. Sixth child of Sir Anthony Abdy (1655-1704) (q.v.) and his wife Mary, daughter of Rev. Dr. Richard Milward, canon of Windsor and rector of Great Braxted (Essex), born about August 1689. Barrister and legal agent; acted as London agent for the 3rd Earl of Ailesbury, who was the son of a prominent Jacobite exile, and this led to his being suspected of Jacobite sympathies himself; he succeeded his elder brother, Sir Anthony Thomas Abdy (1688-1733) (q.v.) as 4th baronet of Felix Hall in 1733. Married (lic. 13 May 1714), Mary (d. 1743), only daughter and heir of Philip Stotherd of Terling (Essex) and had issue:
(1) Sir Anthony Thomas Abdy (c.1720-75) (q.v.);
(2) Charlotte Elizabeth Abdy (b. 1722), bapt. 22 January 1722 St James, Westminster; m. 11 April 1752 Rev. Dr. Thomas Rutherforth (1712-71) (q.v.) and had issue;
(3) Mary Abdy (b. c.1725), m. 24 September 1748, Ambrose Dickins (d. 1783) of Wollaston (Northants) (q.v.), barrister, son of Ambrose Dickins, sergeant-surgeon to Queen Anne and King George I, and had issue;
(4) Rev. Stotherd Abdy (1728-73), born 15 and baptised 28 July 1728; educated at St John's College, Cambridge (admitted 1745; BA 1748/9; MA 1752); ordained deacon, 1750 and priest, 1752; rector of Theydon Garnons and Stapleford Tawney (Essex); prebendary of St Paul's Cathedral, 1771; Archdeacon of Essex, 1771-73; married 1st*, 1752, Theodosia (d. 1758), daughter of Sir Robert Abdy, 3rd bt., of Albyns (Essex), and 2nd, 7 August 1759, Harriott (d. 1773), daughter of Peyton Altham of Mark Hall, Latton (Essex), but died without issue, 5 April 1773;
(5) Sir William Abdy (c.1732-1803), (q.v.);
(6) Ann Hester Abdy (1734-1805/6), baptised at Chobham, 3 January 1734/5; married, 1770, Charles Nalson Cole (1723-1804) of the Middle Temple, legal antiquary and registrar of the Bedford Level Corporation, and literary executor of his friend Soame Jenyns; lived at Edward Street, Cavendish Square, London and at Sunninghill (Berks); died at her home in London, 27 December 1805; will proved 1 February 1806.
Inherited the Chobham Place (Surrey) and Horselydown in Bermondsey (Surrey) estates under the will of Gaisford Thomas in 1721, but did not inherited the Felix Hall estate from his brother, as this was divided between his neices and later sold; in 1729 was living in the parish of St James, Westminster.
He died 18 January 1750. His wife died 6 April 1743.
The Abdy baronets of Albyns and Moores
The later Abdys and the second baronetcy of Albyns
This account was first published 23 February 2013 and was updated 1 May 2014, 3 November 2015, 7 & 16 January, 13 & 16 February, 3 & 11 March, 25 April and 18 June 2016; 29 March and 16 July 2018. I am grateful to John Venning for his suggestions and corrections to my account of Newton Ferrers and for further information about the Abdy family.