|Abbott, Barons Tenterden|
Hendon Place alias Tenterden Hall, MiddlesexA house later called Hendon Place was built in Parson Street for the abbots of Westminster, and was originally known as the Parsonage. It was finished in 1326 and was built by Westminster Abbey workmen; in 1540 it contained a chapel on the ground floor. Cardinal Wolsey stayed there on his last journey to the north of England in 1530 and Queen Elizabeth I was a visitor in 1566, 1571, and 1576, when the Herberts were in possession, and again in 1594, when Sir John Fortescue was the tenant. In 1593 the building was called Hendon House and styled the manor-house. It was described as pleasantly situated on a slope and large enough to entertain the king c. 1640, and had 23 hearths in 1664; in the 18th century it was said to have contained a fine gallery. The estate was then a compact block of lands bordered by Parson Street, Finchley Lane, and Dollis brook, together with some fields in Finchley, and contained 132 a.
In 1730 the estate was bought by Thomas Snow, a London goldsmith and banker, and either he or his son, who inherited in 1748, pulled down the old house and rebuilt it. Snow himself seems to have lived at Mill Hill, and the new house was leased out, first to the Earl of Northampton, and by 1774 to William Aislabie (c.1700-81) of Studley Royal.
|Hendon Place: alternative design by Robert Adam for new front, 1776. Image: © Sir John Soane’s Museum, London Adam volume 30/82.|
|Hendon Place: alternative design by Robert Adam for new front, 1776. Image: © Sir John Soane’s Museum, London Adam volume 30/81.|
|Hendon Place: watercolour showing the house as remodelled by Robert Adam for William Aislabie, 1776. |
Image: © London Metropolitan Archives, Environs of London Collection.
|Hendon Place: the loose representation of the house in its landscaped setting, made in the brief period when it was the seat of James Warre, c.1810.|
By 1816, when the house was unoccupied, a large ballroom had been added. Further additions and alterations, including raising the height of the wings, were made by John Henry Abbott, 2nd Lord Tenterden of Hendon (1796-1870), after 1832, when the house became known as Tenterden Hall, but in 1862 he sold the estate for building. The house was used as a school in the 20th century, and Archbishop Trevor Huddleston (1913-98) and the actor and radio presenter, Nicholas Parsons (1923-2020), were among the pupils. The school closed in the mid 1930s and the house was demolished in 1936.
|Hendon Place from an old postcard, c.1910|
Abbott family of Hendon Place, Barons Tenterden
1st Baron Tenterden
Abbott, The Hon. Charles (1803-38). Younger son of Charles Abbott (1762-1832), 1st Baron Tenterden and his wife Mary, daughter of John Lagier Lamotte of Grotto House, Basildon (Berks), born 8 August and baptised 31 August 1803. Educated at Christ Church, Oxford (matriculated 1821, BA 1825). An officer in the Duchess of York’s Own (14th) Light Dragoons (Cornet 1826; Lt. 1829; retired 1833). He married, 9 January 1834 at St Mary, Bryanston Sq., London, Emily Frances (1806-86), younger daughter of Rear-Admiral Lord George Stuart, and had issue:
(2) The Hon. Charles Stuart Anthony Rowland Abbott (1909-28), born 25 July and baptised at Holy Trinity, Chelsea, 15 October 1909; died in the lifetime of his father, 14 March 1928; will proved 14 May 1928 (estate £329).
He died at Worthing (Sussex), 16 September 1939, when the barony of Tenterden became extinct, and was buried at Putney Vale Cemetery. His will was proved 3 November 1939 (estate £5,573) His widow died 12 May 1970; her will was proved 26 November 1970 (estate £4,487).