|Baring family, Earls of Northbrook|
Beaudesert Park, Box, Gloucestershire
An estate near Nailsworth called The Highlands, which did not include a mansion house, belonged to Edwin Hunt in 1855. It was sold shortly afterwards to the Rt. Rev. Charles Baring, who had been appointed Bishop of Gloucester in 1856. He would have found the bishop’s palace in Gloucester to be a medieval house, much altered in the mid 18th century, and probably not an attractive or comfortable residence to Victorian eyes. He decided to build on the splendid site afforded by a steep hillside on the Highlands estate, and constructed ‘a large stone house in the Tudor style’, no illustrations of which have come to light. The architect is not recorded, but may well have been Ewan Christian, whom Baring commissioned in 1860 to design a new, muscular, episcopal palace at Gloucester, which has since become the King’s School.
In 1861 Baring sold The Highlands, on being translated to the bishopric of Durham. The purchaser was John Griffith Frith, a London banker and former East India Co. agent, who had scarcely moved into the house when a landslip caused part of it to collapse. Investigations showed that soft clay beds outcropped on the hillside, making it almost impossible to establish secure foundations for a rigid structure. Nevertheless, Frith decided to rebuild, merely taking the precaution of a site rather higher up the hill, on an artificial terrace retained by a massive stone revetment. Frith died in 1868, but the project was carried on for his widow, tenders being invited in 1871 and work completed in 1874. The new house cost about £5,600 to construct. This time, Ewan Christian is known to have been the architect, although the evocative contemporary watercolours from which the house is best known were painted by Axel Haig.
|Beaudesert Park (Glos): watercolour by Axel Haig of the entrance front, c.1874. Image: RIBA Collections.|
|Beaudesert Park (Glos): watercolour by Axel Haig of the garden front, c.1874. Image: RIBA Collections.|
|Beaudesert Park (Glos): the house in about 1985. Image: Nick Kingsley. Some rights reserved.|
Wallsgrove House, High Beach, Essex
|Wallsgrove House, High Beach|
A four bay two storey early 19th century stuccoed house, reputedly built in 1806, which has been dressed up at some point with a central tetrastyle portico of attenuated Doric columns, and a group of three similar columns clustered around the angles at either end of the facade supporting a section of entablature in a completely illiterate way. The house has a forecourt facing the road enclosed by curving arcaded screen walls.
Descent: Thomas Charles Baring (1831-91); to son, Harold Herman John Baring (1869-1927); sold after his death to Lt-Col. Edward North Buxton (fl. 1946)... Francis Wallis (d. 1972)... Dorothy Maud Woods (1911-98)... sold 2017 to B. Nicholaisen.
Ardington House, Berkshire
|Ardington House: entrance front and side elevation.|
|Ardington House: entrance hall and staircase.|
Baring family of Stratton Park, Earls of Northbrook
|Johann Baring (1697-1748)|
(1) John Baring (1730-1816) (q.v.);
(2) Thomas Vowler Baring (1733-58), born 19 January 1733; married, 24 August 1758, Elizabeth (1733-1818), daughter of Francis Parker of Blagdon, but had no issue (she m2, 9 January 1763, William Spicer MP (c.1735-88) of Exeter, and had issue five sons and five daughters, including a son who bought Courtlands in 1829); he died 25 August 1758;
(3) Sir Francis Baring (1740-1810), 1st bt. (q.v.);
(4) Charles Baring (1742-1829), born 28 October 1742; apprenticed to a London merchant but was recalled to Exeter in 1758 on the death of his brother Thomas before he had had much opportunity to gain experience; in 1762 he became the managing partner in the family's Exeter house; he was a poor businessman, displaying a tendency to snatch 'at every new project that offered' and forming 'partnerships, connections and speculations, of a wild, strange, incoherent description' none of which proved successful; he had repeatedly to be bailed out by his brothers and when the affairs of the Exeter partnership were finally wound up in 1801 he had to accept a loan from Francis which the latter made contemptuously clear that he did not expect to see repaid; lived at Courtlands, Exmouth (Devon), which he rebuilt c.1800; he married, 6 September 1767, Margaret (1743?-1812), daughter and heiress of William Drake Gould of Lew Trenchard (Devon) and had issue [from whom descend the Baring-Gould family of Lew Trenchard who will be the subject of a future post]; died 13 January 1829; will proved in the PCC, 29 April 1829;
(5) Elizabeth Baring (1744-1809), born 21 July 1744; married, 31 March 1780, John Dunning MP (1731-83), later 1st Baron Ashburton, lawyer and politician, and had issue two sons (one of whom died in infancy and the other without issue); as a widow she built Sandridge Park, Stoke Gabriel (Devon) to the designs of John Nash in 1805; died 23 March 1809; will proved 2 March 1809.
He lived in Exeter until 1737, when he bought Larkbeare House, a villa with 37 acres on the edge of the city. In 1747 he purchased Lindridge House at Bishopsteignton (Devon).
He is thought to have died of tuberculosis, and was buried 3 November 1748; his will was proved in the PCC, 25 November 1748. His widow was buried 16 April 1766; her will was proved in the PCC, 5 May 1766.
|John Baring (1730-1816)|
(1) Anne Baring (1758-1804), born 28 September and baptised at St Leonard, Exeter, 1 October 1758; died unmarried, 20 May and was buried at St Leonard, Exeter, 23 May 1804;
(2) Elizabeth Baring (1759-1801), born 22 November and baptised at St Leonard, Exeter, 25 November 1759; died unmarried in London, 2 April, and was buried at St Leonard, Exeter, 16 April 1801;
(3) John Baring (1760-1837), baptised at St Leonard, Exeter, 29 October 1761; inherited Larkbeare and Mount Radford from his father but sold them to his cousin, Sir Thomas Baring, in 1817; he was unmarried but co-habited in London with Miss Elizabeth Webber, to whom he left much of his property; died 21 January 1837 and was buried at Kensal Green (Middx), 28 January 1837; will proved in the PCC, 24 March 1837;
(4) Francis Baring (1762-1810), baptised at St Leonard, Exeter, 6 July 1762; unmarried and without issue; committed suicide and was buried at St George, Hanover Sq., London, 28 August 1810;
(5) Charlotte Baring (1763-1833), born 16 September and baptised at St Leonard, Exeter, 19 September 1763; married, 22 November 1786 at St Leonard, Exeter, John Jeffrey Short (1753-1801), son of John Short of Exeter, and had issue two sons and four daughters; died 14 May 1833;
(6) Margaret Baring (1765-1851), born 20 January and baptised at St Leonard, Exeter, 23 January 1765; lived at Exeter; died unmarried, Jan-Feb 1851; will proved in the PCC, 26 March 1851.
He inherited Larkbeare House and Lindridge House from his father in 1748. He purchased the Mount Radford estate adjoining Larkbeare in 1755 and rebuilt it. He sold Lindridge House in 1765.
He was buried at St Leonard, Exeter, 1 February 1816; his will was proved in the PCC, 1 March 1816. His wife was buried at St Leonard, Exeter, 25 January 1765.
|Sir Francis Baring, 1st bt.|
(1) Harriet Baring (1768-1838) [for whom see my post on the Baring family of Norman Court];
(2) Maria Baring (1769-1835), born 27 September and baptised at St Gabriel, Fenchurch St., London, 25 October 1769; married, 1 September 1790 at Beddington (Surrey), Richard Stainforth (1759-1824), and had issue nine sons and four daughters; lived latterly at Walthamstow (Essex); died 12 April and was buried at Holy Trinity, Clapham (Surrey), 18 April 1835; will proved in the PCC, 6 June 1835;
(3) Dorothy Elizabeth Baring (1771-1859), born 13 February and baptised at St Gabriel, Fenchurch St., London, 14 March 1771; married, 26 November 1796, Peter Cesar Labouchere (1772-1839), banker with Hope & Co., of Amsterdam (The Netherlands), and had issue two sons; died 15 May 1859; will proved 16 June 1859 (effects under £35,000);
(4) Sir Thomas Baring (1772-1848), 2nd bt. (q.v.);
(5) Alexander Baring (1773-1848), 1st Baron Ashburton of the 2nd creation [for whom see my next post];
(6) Catherine Baring (1775-76), born 25 February and baptised at St Gabriel, Fenchurch St., London, 27 March 1775; died in infancy and was buried at St Gabriel, Fenchurch St., London, 13 February 1776;
(7) Henry Baring (1776-1848) [for whom see my post on the Baring family of Membland and Lambay, Barons Revelstoke];
(8) William Baring (1779-1820) [for whom see my post on the Baring family of Norman Court];
(9) George Baring (1781-1854), born 23 September and baptised at St Gabriel, Fenchurch St., London, 24 October 1781; a writer with the East India Co. from 1801, where he lost a lot of money speculating in opium; on leaving India he entered Magdalene College, Cambridge (admitted 1813), became a clergyman (ordained deacon, 1813 and priest, 1814) and was appointed vicar of Winterbourne Stoke (Wilts), 1814-15, but he joined the group around his sister Harriet as one of the leaders of the 'Western schism' from the Church of England and resigned his living to settle at Walford House near Taunton (Somerset), where he preached at the Octagon Chapel until his extravagant lifestyle led to his bankruptcy in 1828; he was then packed off to Italy by his brothers and spent many years in Florence and Bologna before returning to England to live quietly near Southampton; he married, 6 March 1806 at Calcutta (India), against his father's wishes, Harriet Rochfort (1785-1838), second daughter of Sir John Hadley D'Oyly, 6th bt. and had issue four sons and ten daughters (described as 'tall, raw-boned, vulgar misses, very underbred and unladylike in their conversation and manners' by Henry Fox); died at Cumberland Villa, Shirley (Hants), 4 October 1854;
(10) Frances Baring (1783-1825), born 31 January and baptised at St Gabriel, Fenchurch St., London, 1 March 1783; married, 12 July 1806 at Beddington, Thomas Read Kemp (1782-1844) of Dale Park (Sussex), developer of the Kemp Town estate, Brighton (Sussex), and had issue two sons and four daughters; died 8 March and was buried at St Nicholas, Brighton, 10 March 1825;
(11) Lydia Baring (1786-1854), born at Putney, 4 December 1786 and baptised at St Gabriel, Fenchurch St., London, 4 January 1787; married, 20 December 1806 at Beddington, Rev. Philip Lacock Story (1782-1843), son of the Rev. Philip Lacock Story of Lockington Hall (Leics) and had issue one son and four daughters; lived at Brighton and later at Torquay (Devon); buried at Lockington, 25 January 1854; will proved in PCC, 9 February 1854.
He lived in London. From about 1790 he began building up an estate around Camden House, Beddington (Surrey), and he added Lee Manor House (Kent) to this in 1796 and also land in Buckinghamshire. In 1801 he acquired the Stratton Park estate in Hampshire and remodelled the house to the designs of George Dance.
He died 11/12 September 1810 and was buried at Micheldever; his will was proved 4 December 1810 (wealth at death over £500,000). His wife died 3 December 1804.
|Sir Thomas Baring, 2nd bt.|
(1) Sir Francis Thornhill Baring (1796-1866), 3rd bt. and 1st Baron Northbrook (q.v.);
(2) Thomas Baring (1799-1873) [for whom see my post on the Baring family of Norman Court];
(3) John Baring (1801-88), born at Lee, 14 September 1801; as a young man he moved to the United States, where in 1826 he set up in business with a Boston merchant called Joshua Bates, whom in 1828 he brought back to England, where they both became partners in Baring Bros & Co.; John was regarded as 'able but indolent' and he retired in 1837 with capital of £180,000; he subsequently lived modestly at Oakwood, near Funtington (Sussex) and gave his surplus income to the poor; he married, 2 August 1842 at St George, Hanover Square, London, Charlotte Amelia (1819-46), daughter of Rev. George Porcher of Maiden Erleigh (Berks), but had no issue; died 17 April 1888; will proved 18 May 1888 (effects £134,557);
(4) Mary Ursula Baring (1803-12), born 28 September and baptised at Lee, 2 November 1803; died young, 3 October 1812 and was buried at Micheldever;
(5) Charlotte Baring (1805-71), born 29 May 1805; married, March 1833, Rev. Henry George Wells (1806-52), rector of Kings Worthy (Hants) and rural dean of Alresford, second son of John Wells MP of Bickley Hall, and had issue six daughters; died 23 April 1871;
(6) Rt. Rev. Charles Baring (1807-79) [for whom see below, Baring family of Beaudesert Park, High Beach and Ardington House];
(7) Emily Baring (1809-93), baptised at St Marylebone, 3 February 1809; married, 6 July 1837, Rev. William Maxwell Du Pré (d. 1855), vicar of Wooburn (Bucks) and had issue three sons and six daughters; died 29 July 1893; will proved 4 September 1893;
(8) Lydia Dorothy Baring (1810-12), born 25 December 1810 and baptised at St Nicholas, Brighton, 10 January 1811; died in infancy, 1 December 1812 and was buried at Micheldever;
(9) Frances Baring (1813-50), born 23 August 1813; married, 10 April 1840, as his first wife, her first cousin, Henry Labouchere (1798-1869), later 1st and last Baron Taunton, of Quantock Lodge, Over Stowey (Somerset), and had issue three daughters; died 25 May 1850.
After his return from India, he leased Pentland House, Lee (next door to the Manor House) until his father's death in 1810, when he inherited Lee Manor House and Stratton Park, which was the centre of a 9,000 acre estate. In 1801 he bought the Abbotstone House estate in Hampshire. In 1817 he bought Mount Radford and Larkbeare House from his cousin John; he sold them again in 1826. Lee Manor House was rented out between c.1806 and c.1830. His London house was at 21 Devonshire Place.
He died 3 April 1848 and was buried at Micheldever; his will was proved in the PCC, 25 May 1848. His wife died 26 July 1846 and was also buried at Micheldever.
|Sir Francis Thornhill Baring, 3rd bt. &|
1st Baron Northbrook, by Sir George Hayter.
(1.1) Thomas George Baring (1826-1904), 2nd Baron & 1st Earl of Northbrook (q.v.);
(1.2) The Hon. Mary Baring (1827-1906), born 1 June 1827; married, 21 April 1864, John Bonham Carter MP (1817-84), of Adhurst St. Mary (Hants) and had issue three sons and four daughters; died 7 June 1906; died in Chelsea (Middx), 7 June 1906; will proved 11 July 1906 (estate £21,286);
(1.3) The Hon. Harriet Baring (1831-1903), baptised at St Martin-in-the-Fields, Westminster (Middx), 25 June 1831; died unmarried, 25 March 1903 and was buried at Micheldever; will proved 15 April 1903 (estate £16,026);
(1.4) Francis Grey Baring (1832-33), baptised at St Martin-in-the-Fields, Westminster (Middx), 24 July 1832; died in infancy, 8 May 1833 and was buried at Micheldever;
(1.5) The Hon. Alice Baring (b. 1833), born 4 June and baptised at St Martin-in-the-Fields, Westminster (Middx), 14 December 1833; lived in Hove (Sussex); died unmarried, 20 July 1925; will proved 9 September 1925 (estate £27,800);
(2.1) The Hon. Francis Henry Baring (1850-1915) (q.v.).
He inherited Lee Manor House and Stratton Park from his father in 1848. Lee Manor House was rented out after about 1850.
He died at Stratton Park, 6 September, and was buried at Micheldever, 13 September 1866; his will was proved 9 October 1866 (effects under £16,000). His first wife died 23 April 1838. His widow lived latterly in Brighton (Sussex) and died 10 December 1884; administration of her goods (with will annexed) was granted to her son, 23 January 1885 (effects £4,025).
|Thomas George Baring, 1st Earl of Northbrook|
(1) Francis George Baring (1850-1929), 2nd Earl of Northbrook (q.v.);
(2) Lady Jane Emma Baring (1853-1936), born 24 April and baptised at St Peter, Eaton Sq., London, 14 July 1853; appointed to Imperial Order of the Crown of India, 1878 and CBE, 1920; married, 29 January 1890, as his second wife, Col. the Hon. Sir Henry George Lewis Crichton KCB (1844-1922) of Netley Abbey (Hants), third son of the 3rd Earl of Erne, but had no issue; will proved 2 March 1936 (estate £42,895);
He died 15 November and was buried at Micheldever, 19 November 1904; his will was proved 24 December 1904 (estate £249,770). His wife died 3 June 1867 and was buried at Micheldever.
|Francis George Baring, 2nd Earl of Northbrook|
He inherited Stratton Park from his father in 1904, but soon afterwards sold art works to the value of £200,000 from the collection there to American buyers. He also sold about 5,000 acres of the estate (mainly to tenants) in 1920. After his death the house and park was sold to a girls' school and then sold, with the rest of the estate in 1939 to Barings Bank.
He died of influenza and bronchitis at Stratton Park, 12 April 1929, when the Earldom and Viscountcy became extinct, but the barony passed to his cousin, Francis Arthur Baring (1882-1947) (q.v.); he was buried at East Stratton. His will was proved 21 June and 23 August 1929 (estate £496,435). His first wife suffered sunstroke on her wedding day and developed complications from which she never recovered; she died at Carlsbad (Austria), 22 July 1894; administration of her goods was granted to her husband, 26 November 1894 (effects £1,132). His widow died at Abbots Worthy (Hants), 4 December 1946; her will was proved 3 February 1947 (estate £179,122).
Baring, The Hon. Francis Henry (1850-1915). Only son of Sir Francis Thornhill Baring, 3rd bt. and 1st Baron Northbrook, and his second wife, Lady Arabella Howard, second daughter of Kenneth Alexander Howard, 1st Earl of Effingham, born 22 July and baptised at St Martin-in-the-Fields, 23 July 1850. Educated at Trinity College, Cambridge (admitted 1869 but did not reside), Corpus Christi College, Oxford (matriculated 1869) and Lincolns Inn (admitted 1872). He was exceptionally able academically; a classical scholar and a mathematician of distinction, with a lucid mind and a rare capacity for seeing the essential facts in any situation and holding to them tenaciously. He joined Baring Bros & Co. in 1874 and became a partner from 1882, so he was one of those most deeply affected by the crisis of 1890. Afterwards, he became a Director of the new firm, Baring Bros & Co. Ltd., and he was titular head of that business from 1891 until his retirement in 1901, a period when he proved especially good at resolving the legal difficulties the new firm encountered in winding up the affairs of its predecessor. The scale of the recovery under his leadership and that of his cousin John Baring, 2nd Baron Revelstoke, is reflected in his wealth at death. High Sheriff of Surrey, 1888. In 1873, he was one of the principal legatees of Thomas Baring (1799-1873) of Norman Court. He married, 13 February 1878 at St George, Hanover Square, London, Lady Grace Elizabeth (d. 1935), daughter of Richard Edmund St. Lawrence Boyle, 9th Earl of Cork and Orrery, and had issue, with a stillborn daughter:
(1) Francis Arthur Baring (1882-1947), 4th Baron Northbrook (q.v.);
(2) John Henry Baring (1885-1956), born 3 December 1885 and baptised at St Thomas, Portman Square, London, 20 January 1886; educated at Hazlewood School, Rugby and Trinity College, Oxford (matriculated 1904; BA 1908; MA 1912); education administrator with Essex and Oxfordshire County Councils, 1911-15; served in First World War with Royal Irish Regiment (Lt., 1916; Capt., 1917; retired 1920); acted as aide-de-camp to Governors of Bahamas and Ceylon, 1921-24, and then travelled through Australia, New Zealand and Spain; was the residuary legatee of his kinsman, the 4th Earl of Effingham, in 1927; died unmarried, 3 December 1956; will proved 8 February 1957 (estate £118,746);
(3) Rupert Alexander Baring (1891-94), born 23 February 1891; died young, 3 August 1894.
He bought an estate called Banstead Park (Surrey) in about 1880, and Norman Shaw built a house for him there in 1884-86, but after the Barings crisis of 1890 he sold it in 1893 to realise assets. He lived subsequently at 34 Great Cumberland Place, London.
He died in London, 7 March 1915, and was buried at East Stratton; his will was proved 30 April 1915 (estate £730,860). His widow died 23 May 1935; her will was proved 27 June 1935 (estate £12,278).
Baring, Francis Arthur (1882-1947), 4th Baron Northbrook. Eldest son of the Hon. Francis Henry Baring (1850-1915) and his wife Lady Grace Elizabeth Boyle, daughter of 9th Earl of Cork and Orrery, born 20 July 1882 and baptised at St. Thomas, St. Marylebone (Middx), 18 August 1882. Educated at Eton and Trinity College, Oxford. Landowner and farmer. JP for Hampshire. He succeeded his cousin as 4th Baron Northbrook, 12 April 1929. He married 1st, 30 April 1914, Evelyn Gladys Isabella (1889-1919), daughter of John George Charles, and 2nd, 1 December 1941 at Alton (Hants), Constance Maud (1882-1976), daughter of Frank Griffin of Kew, and had issue:
(1.1) Francis John Baring (1915-90), 5th Baron Northbrook (q.v.);
(1.2) The Hon. Anne Baring (1917-2006), born 13 February 1917; lived at Westwood, West Meon (Hants); died unmarried, 10 October 2006; will proved 6 July 2007.
He purchased Woodlands Farm, West Meon in about 1913.
He died 15 December 1947 and was buried at West Meon (Hants); his will was proved 17 January 1948 (estate £428,879). His first wife died 20 February 1919; administration of her goods was granted to her husband, 9 May 1919 (estate £3,349). His widow died 11 April 1976 and was buried at West Meon; her will was proved 17 May 1976 (estate £126,765).
Baring, Francis John (1915-90), 5th Baron Northbrook. Only son of Francis Arthur Baring (1882-1947), 4th Baron Northbrook and his first wife, Evelyn Gladys Isabella, daughter of John George Charles, born 31 May 1915. Educated at Winchester and Trinity College, Oxford (BA 1937). JP (from 1954) and DL (from 1972) for Hampshire. He succeeded his father as 5th Baron Northbrook, 15 December 1947. Chairman of Hampshire Area Health Authority and Winchester District Health Authority, 1978-88. He married, 27 January 1951 at the Chapel Royal, Hampton Court (Middx), Rowena Margaret (b. 1926), second daughter of Brig-Gen. Sir William Henry Manning GCMG, KBE, CB, and had issue:
(1) The Hon. Laura Anne Baring (b. 1952), born 12 June 1952; lives at Aston Sandford (Bucks); married, 15 May 1982, Ewen Cameron Stewart Macpherson (b. 1942), eldest son of Brig. George Philip Stewart Macpherson OBE, and had issue two sons;
(2) Francis Thomas Baring (b. 1954), 6th Baron Northbrook (q.v.);
(3) The Hon. Alexandra Grace Baring (b. 1957), born 4 February 1957; lives at Armsworth Park House, Old Alresford (Hants); married, Oct-Dec 1981, Philip Strone Stewart Macpherson (b. 1948), youngest son of Brig. George Philip Stewart Macpherson OBE, and had issue one son and two daughters;
(4) The Hon. Catherine Margaret Baring (b. 1965), born 12 May 1965; lives at East Stratton House (Hants); married, May 1992 (div. 2007), (Edward) Sherard Bourchier Wrey (1961-2007), younger son of Sir (Castel Richard) Bourchier Wrey, 14th bt., and had issue one son and one daughter.
He inherited Woodlands Farm from his father in 1947 and repurchased the surviving part of the estate at Stratton (but not the house) from Barings Bank in 1952. He lived at East Stratton House.
He died 4 December 1990; his will was proved 3 March 1992 (estate £30,874,078). His widow is now living.
Baring, Francis Thomas (b. 1954), 6th Baron Northbrook. Only son of Francis John Baring (1915-90), 5th Baron Northbrook, and his wife Rowena Margaret, second daughter of Brig-Gen. Sir William Henry Manning GCMG KBE CB, born 21 February 1954. Educated at Winchester College and Bristol University (BA 1976). Trainee chartered accountant with Dixon Wilson & Co., 1976-80; then with Baring Bros. & Co. Ltd., where he moved into investment management, 1980-90; he continued his career with Taylor Young Investment, 1990-93, Smith & Williamson Securities, 1993-95, and was then one of the founders of Mars Asset Management, 1996-2006. He has been a trustee of the Khetri Trust since 1993 and of the Fortune Forum Charity since 2006. He succeeded his father as 6th Baron Northbrook, 4 December 1990, and was one of the hereditary peers elected to remain a member of the House of Lords, 1999, where he speaks on treasury, constitutional and agricultural matters; Conservative whip in Lords, 1999-2000. He is a member of the Advisory Board of the Iman Foundation. He inherited a significant art collection from his father, some of which was lost in a major fire at his home in 2005, while other works were sold at the time of his divorce. He married 1st, 27 June 1987 (div. 2006), Amelia Sarah Elizabeth (b. 1960), elder daughter of Dr. Reginald David Taylor of Hursley (Hants), and 2nd, 2013, Charlotte Lee (b. 1960), publisher of the Almanach de Gotha and daughter of Thomas W. Pike, and had issue:
(1.1) The Hon. Arabella Constance Elizabeth Baring [Countess Nesselrode] (b. 1989), born 15 June and baptised at East Stratton, 21 September 1989; married, 2015, Bertram (b. 1984), Graf Droste zu Vischering von Nesselrode-Reichenstein, founder of Embley Wood Partners Ltd, property investment managers;
(1.2) The Hon. Venetia Harriet Anne Baring (b. 1991), born 19 April 1991; educated at Heathfield School, Marlborough College and Bristol University (BA 2014); Head of Communications for LXM Finance LLP;
(1.3) The Hon. Cosima Evelyn Maud Baring (b. 1994), born 30 August 1994 and baptised at East Stratton, 22 January 1995; educated at Bristol University (BA 2017); marketing executive at Arbor Education Partners, London.
He inherited the Stratton Park estate from his father in 1990. He remodelled Woodlands House at West Meon as a new residence in 1995, and after it burned down on 4 December 2005 he rebuilt it to an entirely new design, 2009-10.
Now living. There is no heir to the peerage, although Peter Baring of Ardington (see below) is heir to the family baronetcy.
Baring family of Beaudesert Park, High Beach and Ardington House
|Rt. Rev. Charles Baring,|
Bishop of Durham
(1.1) Thomas Charles Baring (1831-91) (q.v.);
(1.2) Mary Ursula Baring (1832-46), baptised at East Stratton (Hants), 26 August 1832; died young and was buried at Micheldever, 1 August 1846;
(2.1) Frances Dorothy Baring (1847-80), born 23 November 1847 and baptised at St. Marylebone, 23 February 1848; died unmarried at Basel (Switzerland), 16 July 1880; administration of her goods granted to her brother, 3 August 1880 (estate £849);
(2.2) Rev. Francis Henry Baring (1848-1914), born 21 November 1848 and baptised at St. Marylebone, 2 January 1849; educated at Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1867; BA 1871; MA 1874); ordained deacon, 1872 and priest, 1875; had a restless eccleasiastical career, serving as a missionary in India, 1872-84, 1886-89, where he started a boarding school for Christian boys at Amritsar and later at Batala, which continues (as Baring College) today; vicar of Chilworth (Hants), 1884-85 and Kingsworthy, 1891-94; Secretary of British & Foreign Bible Society, Lahore, 1895-99; rector of Eggesford (Devon), 1899-1900; emigrated to Tasmania, c.1901 and also served as a curate there; married 1st, 21 July 1881, Margaret Anne Borthwick (d. 1882), daughter of Rev. William Wallace Duncan of Peebles and widow of William Elmslie FRCS of Kashmir (India) but had no issue; married 2nd, 27 July 1886, Amy (d. 1935), daughter of Rev. John Alexander Stamper, and had issue five sons and two daughters; died at Kamo (New Zealand), 22 September 1914 and was buried at Northland (New Zealand); will proved 8 May 1915 (estate £36,024);
(2.3) Caroline Emily Baring (1850-1924), born 22 June and baptised at St. Marylebone, 5 August 1850; died unmarried, 9 January 1924; will proved 14 March 1924 (estate £20,844).
He was given the Abbotsworthy House estate (Hants) by his father in about 1830 and built a new house there to the designs of J.C. Buckler in 1834-36, but he sold this in c.1850. He purchased an estate called the Highlands in Gloucestershire and built a house there in 1856, but sold it in 1861 on being translated to Durham. He lived subsequently at Auckland Castle (Co. Durham).
He died at Cecil House, Wimbledon (Surrey), 16 September 1879 and was buried at High Beech (Essex); his will was proved 5 January 1880 (effects under £120,000). His first wife died 16 June 1840. His widow died 9 May 1885; her will was proved 30 June 1885 (effects £19,855).
|Thomas Charles Baring (1831-91)|
(1) Charles Cuthbert Baring (1860-66), born in New York, 4 September 1860; died young in New York, 8 May 1866;
(2) Constance Mary Baring (1861-1929), born in New York, 10 December 1861; married, 27 July 1891 at St George, Hanover Sq., London, Rev. William Ewart Beamish Barter (1856-1928), rector of Hanwell (Middx) and later curate of Ealing (Middx), and had issue one son and eight daughters; died at Shoreham-by-Sea (Sussex), 5 August 1929; will proved 11 October 1929 (estate £4,342);
(3) Robert Bowne Minturn Baring (b. 1863), born in New York, 24 August 1863; died young in New York, 11 April 1866;
(4) Susannah Beatrix Baring (1867-1956), born 15 November 1867; married, 29 June 1893, Rev. Vincent Travers Macy (1868-1938), vicar of St. Cyprian, Nottingham, and had issue two daughters; died 9 May 1956; will proved 9 August 1956 (estate £1,066);
(5) Harold Herman John Baring (1869-1927) (q.v.);
(6) Godfrey Nigel Everard Baring (1870-1934) (q.v.);
(7) Muriel Ursula Baring (1872-1950), born 12 August 1872; married, 25 April 1901 at High Beech, Henry Stephen Brenton (d. 1926) of The Manor House, High Beech (Essex) and had issue two daughters; died 22 November 1950; will proved 28 March 1951 (estate £18,743).
He purchased Wallsgrove House at High Beech (Essex).
He died in Rome (Italy), 2 April 1891; his will was proved 30 May 1891 (effects £867,765). His widow died 11 January 1897; her will was proved 8 April 1897 (effects £31,908).
|Harold Herman John Baring (1869-1927)|
He inherited Wallsgrove House from his father in 1891; it was sold after his death.
He died 10 December 1927 and was buried at High Beech, where he is commemorated by a monument; his will was proved in March 1928 (estate £97,188). His widow died at Nice (France), 3 April 1940; her will was proved 2 September 1940 (estate £24,543).
Baring, Godfrey Nigel Everard (1870-1934). Younger surviving son of Thomas Charles Baring (1831-91) and his wife Susan Carter, daughter of Robert Bowne Minturn of New York (USA), born 1 October 1870 and baptised at High Beech, 25 March 1871. Educated at Harrow and Hertford College, Oxford (matriculated 1889). He was a keen huntsman and polo player and held the position of Master with three different hunts in England and Ireland for a total of 26 years. [He must be carefully distinguished from his namesake and near contemporary, Sir Godfrey Baring (1871-1957), who was MP for the Isle of Wight for many years]. He married, 14 October 1908 at St Peter, Eaton Sq., London, the Hon. Ada Sybil (1879-1944), only child of Edward Fitzgerald Burke Roche, 2nd Baron Fermoy, and had issue:
(1) Desmond Charles Nigel Baring (1914-91) (q.v.);
(2) Cynthia Cecil Baring (1909-85), born 9 October 1909; married 1st, 6 July 1932 (div. 1947), Brig. John Theodore de Horne Vaizey (1898-1982), only son of Robert Edward Vaizey OBE of Attwoods, Halstead (Essex) and had issue one son and three daughters; married 2nd, 24 October 1947, Forest Warren (d. 1954), son of Henry Nathaniel Warren of Bishops Caundle (Dorset), and had further issue; died 18 October 1985;
(3) Ursula Doreen Baring (1911-52), born 4 March 1911; died unmarried, 11 October 1952.
He lived at Rockbarton (Co. Limerick) and later at Park House, Market Harborough (Leics).
He died 22 June 1934; his will was proved 1 October and 31 December 1934 (estate £114,909). His widow died in Dublin, 15 May 1944; her will was proved 24 February 1945 (estate £28,032).
Baring, Desmond Charles Nigel (1914-91). Only son of Godfrey Nigel Everard Baring (1870-1934) and his wife the Hon. Ada Sybil Roche, only child of Edward Fitzgerald Burke Roche, 2nd Baron Fermoy, born 5 January 1914. Educated at Eton. Served in 3rd Dragoon Guards (2nd Lt., 1934-37). Landowner and market gardener. Member of Berkshire County Council. He married, 12 September 1938, Mary (Mollie) Eileen JP (1912-98), daughter of Benjamin Walter Warner, and had issue:
(1) Peter Baring (b. 1939), born 12 September 1939; educated at Eton; national service in the Grenadier Guards (2nd Lt., 1958); heir presumptive to the baronetcy held by 6th Baron Northbrook; director of Ardington House Ltd. until 2008; lives at The Dower House, Ardington; married, 1973, Rosemary Cecil (b. 1949), daughter of George Nigel Adams of Fernham Manor, Faringdon (Berks) and had issue two sons;
(2) Nigel Baring (b. 1940) (q.v.);
(3) (Margaret) Anne Baring (b. 1944), born 22 November 1944; racehorse owner at Trudoxhill (Somerset); married, Apr-Jun 1976, Hugh Barkly Gonnerman Dalgety (b. 1943), and had issue two sons and one daughter.
He leased Ardington House (Berks) from 1939 and purchased the freehold in 1960.
He died 3 February 1991 and was buried at Holy Innocents, High Beech (Essex); his will was proved 26 May 1992 (estate £615,744). His widow died 24 March 1998 and was also buried at High Beech; her will was proved 25 September 1998.
Baring, Nigel (b. 1940). Second son of Desmond Charles Nigel Baring (1914-91) and his wife Mary (Mollie) Eileen JP, daughter of Benjamin Walter Warner, born 9 August 1940. Educated at Eton. Wine merchant with Nigel Baring & Co. Ltd (dissolved 2006). He married, 18 July 1968, Jane Finola (b. 1944), elder daughter of Francis Byrne of Fulham (Middx), and had issue:
(1) Lorne Benjamin Nigel Baring (b. 1970), born 28 August and baptised 15 December 1970; educated at Eton and Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst; an officer in the Scots Guards (2nd Lt., 1990; Capt., 1992; retired 1996); subsequently a private banker with Barclays Ltd.; director of Ardington House Ltd.; married, 2002 (div. 2013), Victoria Essex Lea (b. 1976), daughter of Col. Brian Gustavus Hamilton-Russell and had issue one son and one daughter;
(2) Edward Francis Desmond Baring (b. 1972), born 1972; educated at Eton and Edinburgh University; admitted a solicitor, 2001; partner in Herbert Smith Freehills LLP, Johannesburg (South Africa); married, c.2003, Charlotte McCredie and had issue three sons (one died in infancy) and one daughter;
(3) Lucinda Anne Baring (b. 1980), born Jul-Sept 1980; educated at St Mary's Convent, Ascot and Edinburgh University (MA); journalist and travel writer; assistant editor with The Financial Times; married, 2009, Edward Andrew Ashenhurst Bartlam (b. 1979), events promoter, son of Thomas Bartlam of Blounce House, South Warnborough (Hants), and had issue one son and one daughter.
He inherited Ardington House from his father in 1991, but handed it on to his elder son in 2012 and now lives at The Lodge, Ardington.
SourcesBurke's Peerage and Baronetage, 2003, pp. 2931-34; J. Woolfe & J. Gandon, Vitruvius Britannicus, vol. 4, 1767, pls. 52-55; J. Britton, T. Allom, W.H. Bartlett and E.W. Brayley, Devonshire and Cornwall Illustrated, 1832, p. 67 and plate; D. Stroud, George Dance, architect, 1741-1825, 1971, pp. 200-04; B. Cherry & Sir N. Pevsner, The buildings of England: London - South, 1982, p. 426; J.M. Robinson, The latest country houses, 1984, pp. 142-43; J. Harris, 'A digression on John Sanderson and the Rococo', Furniture History, vol. 26, 1990, pp. 101-03; G. Worsley, 'The "Best Turned" house of the Duke of Bedford', Georgian Group Journal, vol. 6, 1996, pp. 63-73; M. Bullen, J. Crook, R. Hubbock & Sir N. Pevsner, The buildings of England: Hampshire - Winchester and the north, 2010, pp. 246-48; G. Tyack (ed.), John Nash: architect of the Picturesque, 2013, pp. 58-67; H. Meller, The country houses of Devon, 2015, pp. 317-18, 882-84; ODNB entries on Sir Francis Baring, 1st bt., Rt. Rev. Charles Baring, and 1st Baron and 1st Earl of Northbrook;
http://www.lostheritage.org.uk/houses/lh_hampshire_strattonpark.html; https://runner500.wordpress.com/2016/03/02/slavery-and-the-manor-house/; https://runner500.wordpress.com/2016/03/10/lee-manor-house-the-years-before-the-library/; http://exetercivicsociety.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2014/04/Book-2-St-Leonards.pdf.
Location of archives
Baring Bros. & Co. Ltd, merchant bankers: correspondence, letter books, ledgers and journals, 1763-1899 [Barings Archive]
Baring family of Mount Radford, Exeter: deeds, partnership deeds and papers, 1706-1837 [Devon Archives & Local Studies, 1926B]
Baring family of Stratton Park, Barons Northbrook: correspondence, diaries and papers, 1762-1833 [Barings Archive, NP]; deeds, estate and family papers, chiefly relating to Lee Manor House, 1678-1846 [Lewisham Local History & Archives Centre, A62/6]; manor and hundred records, 1692-1838; estate, personal, official and family papers, 1770-20th cents. [Hampshire Archives & Local Studies, 77M95, 92M95]; building accounts for Stratton Park, 1731-39 [Hampshire Archives & Local Studies, 149M89/R5/6174]
Baring, Rt. Rev. Charles Thomas (1807-79): correspondence, 19th cent. [Durham University Library]
Coat of armsAzure, a fesse or, in chief a bear's head proper, muzzled and ringed or.
Can you help?
- I should be most grateful if anyone can provide photographs or portraits of people whose names appear in bold above, and who are not already illustrated.
- As always, any additions or corrections to the account given above will be gratefully received and incorporated.