Llanbedr Hall (Denbighshire)Plas Llanbedr is an ancient place of settlement, on the southern flank of the Clwydian hills, a few miles east of Ruthin. It belonged in the 17th and 18th centuries to the Thelwall family, whose house here is recorded in a detailed, if perspectively idiosyncratic, drawing of the late 17th century, perhaps by Thomas Dinely. The house it shows was probably sixteenth and seventeenth century, with a three-storey porch tower in the centre, a single-storey and no doubt older hall to its left, and a service wing beyond that; while to the right of the porch was a two-storey parlour wing with higher ceilings and bigger windows. Around the house was a formal garden with raised terraces and steps down to the lawns in front of the house, while behind the house was an extensive kitchen garden.
|Llanbedr Hall: the house in the late 17th century.|
|Llanbedr Hall: detail of the watercolour by Moses Griffith, 1805, showing the hall as remodelled in the 18th century. Image: Thomas Lloyd.|
|Llanbedr Hall in 1844. © National Library of Wales. Licenced under a Creative Archive Licence.|
Bathafarn Hall (Denbighshire)
|Bathafarn Hall. © Llewelyn2000. Licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.|
A late 17th or early 18th century seven bay house with solid parapets and segment-headed windows which was remodelled in the early 19th century, and again in the early 20th century. Lewis' Topographical Dictionary calls it Grecian, but today it is a three bay rendered house with pilasters, a pedimented doorcase and a two-storey segmental bow on the south elevation. The house was divided into flats by the Smith family after 1952; it remains in their possession.
Ablett family of Llanbedr Hall
Ablett, Joseph (c.1772-1848), of Llanbedr Hall (Denbighs). Born c.1772, the son of Joseph Ablett (d. 1827), a Manchester fustian manufacturer and his wife Margaret Stock, widow of Josiah Fairfax Jesse of Manchester. His grandfather was William Ablett, gent. of Little Glemham (Suffolk), in which county his ancestors had lived since the 16th century. Educated at Manchester School (admitted 1783). He was a JP for Denbighshire and High Sheriff in 1809; in 1826 he contested the Denbigh parliamentary seat in the Whig interest and achieved a tied result, but the House of Commons determined his opponent the victor because of irregularities in the poll. In 1842 he gave 20 acres of land for the establishment of the North Wales Asylum and he built almshouses at Ruthin (Denbighs). He was also an eminent book collector, and a friend and financial supporter of figures in the Romantic movement, especially Walter Savage Landor, whom he introduced to Southey and Coleridge in 1832. In 1837 he published Literary Hours: by various friends. He married Anne (b. c.1774-1854), eldest daughter of William Bury of Swinton (Lancs), but had no issue.
He purchased Llanbedr Hall (Denbighs) in 1804 and the nearby estates at Plas Coch and Bathafarn in 1831. At his death his properties passed to his cousin by marriage, John Jesse of Manchester, surgeon.
He died 9 January 1848 aged 75, and his will was proved in the PCC, 16 February 1848. He is buried in the churchyard of the old church at Llanbedr Dyffyrn Clwyd and commemorated by a monument in the new church. His widow died in 1854.