|Barton of Grove, Straffan House etc.|
Grove, Fethard, Co. TipperaryThe estate of the Everard family at Fethard was bought by Thomas Barton (1694-1780) in two transactions, in 1751 and 1757. Since he was based in Bordeaux, he probably bought the estate sight unseen, and all the negotiations for the purchase were conducted through Robert Marshall, a Dublin lawyer. The total cost of the purchase was £30,500, a substantial sum but one that Thomas could well afford. The present house was probably begun soon after the purchase of the Grove estate was concluded in 1757. It was a pedimented two-storey 18th century house with lower wings, of which one pedimented elevation survives in altered form, facing onto a later service court.
|Grove, Fethard: the surviving elevation of the original house, seen through the archway of the stable court. |
Grove descended to Thomas Barton's grandson, also Thomas Barton (1757-1818), who was probably responsible for substantially rebuilding the house, effectively replacing the central block (except for the facade to the service court) with a two-storey villa with an eaved roof.
|Grove, Fethard: block plan of the house |
from the 1st edition 6" map of c.1842.
|Grove, Fethard: the entrance front of the remodelled house, here attributed to Sir Richard Morrison and probably dating from c.1807.|
Inside, the house has a compact and satisfying plan, with the main rooms lying on three sides of a long central top-lit staircase hall with a vaulted ceiling carried on columns and a circular gallery, above which rises a delightful little rotunda of columns and pilasters and a dome decorated with plasterwork that has a glazed oculus at the top. The dining room has alcoves at both ends; there are two drawing rooms, decorated en suite; and a library with classical reliefs.
Clonelly, nr. Pettigo, Co. Fermanagh
|Clonelly, Pettigo: plan of the estate from a mid 19th century Ordnance Survey map. |
The Waterfoot, nr. Pettigo, Co. Fermanagh
|The Waterfoot: the original house is in the centre of the picture, with the later wing on the left and the service range behind. Image: Patricia Barton.|
|The Waterfoot: site plan from the 1st edition 6" map of c.1842. |
Straffan House, Co. Kildare
|Straffan House: block plan soon after the rebuilding of the 1830s.|
|Straffan House: the entrance front in c.1900, showing the Italianate remodelling of the 1860s by Sir Charles Lanyon.|
|Straffan House: garden front in c.1978, showing the fragment of the house left after partial demolition in 1937.|
|Straffan House: the greatly extended house which forms the present hotel complex. The surviving fragment of the original house is on the right.|
Rochestown House, Co. Tipperary
|Rochestown House: the ruins of the house in recent years. Image: National Inventory of Architectural Heritage|
|Rochestown House: block plan of the house before the 1860s additions. |
Can you help?
- Can anyone provide a photograph or drawing of Clonelly House, or more accurate information about when it was demolished?
- Can anyone provide early views of Straffan House, showing it before the Italianate makeover of the 1860s, or any views of the interiors prior to the reduction of the house in 1937-39?
- Any additions or corrections to the account given above will be gratefully received and incorporated. I am always particularly pleased to hear from members of the family or current owners of the properties discussed who can supply additional information for inclusion.