Sunday 26 January 2014

(105) Alleyn of Hatfield Peverel and Little Leighs, baronets

Alleyn of Hatfield Peverel
Richard Alleyn (d. 1527) of Thaxted (Essex) had three surviving sons, two of whom were called John. (This was unusual, and must have been confusing, but is not in fact unprecedented). One John, who was knighted, was the founder of the Alleyns of Gresley. The other two sons, John Alleyn (d. 1558) and his brother Christopher, married the two daughters and co-heirs of Gyles Leigh of Walton-on-Thames (Surrey) and acquired through their marriages the Hatfield Peverel and Hazeleigh Hall estates in Essex, respectively. At Hatfield Peverel, John acquired the premises of the former priory, which were adapted as a house for the family.  Nothing is known of the alterations which must have been made to this house over the years, but the adapted priory buildings were not replaced by a new manor house until 1769-71.

Sir Edward Alleyn (c.1586-1638), who was High Sheriff of Essex in 1629-30 was created a baronet the same year. By his marriage to the daughter and heiress of George Scott of Little Leighs he acquired the Little Leighs Hall estate (not to be confused with nearby Leez Priory), and at his death this secondary estate passed to his second son. When his great-grandson, the 3rd baronet, died in about 1658 as a child, the Hatfield Priory estate passed to his sister, Arabella (1655-1746), who was the wife first of Francis Thompson MP and later of Lord George Howard.  Arabella seems to have been a woman of independent views and strong character, and in 1707 she and her husband agreed to separate; as part of the deal, Arabella recovered control of her property and by 1720 she had sold part of it and leased Hatfield Priory itself for life to Arthur Dobbs (d. 1750/1). On his death, Hatfield Priory reverted to Sir Edmund Alleyn (d. 1759), 8th bt., who had previously inherited the Little Leighs estate from his uncle. He was, however, the last of the male line, and both estates passed to his sister, another Arabella, the wife of Rev. Henry Chalmers, and were sold.

The second son of John Alleyn (c.1538-72), Thomas Alleyn or Allen (c.1560-1635) inherited or bought property at Goldington (Beds) and later at Little Waltham (Essex).  He and his wife had a large family, and William Alleyn, one of his younger sons, needing to make his way in the world, became a druggist in London.  His son in turn was Sir Thomas Alleyn (d. 1690), a grocer who played a prominent part in the restoration of the monarchy in 1660, when he happened to be the Lord Mayor of London. Because the City had predominantly favoured the Parliamentarian side in the Civil War, its reception of Charles II on his return from exile was critical to the diplomacy by which a peaceful transition to monarchy was achieved. The Lord Mayor arranged a banquet at St George's Fields in Southwark, at which he knelt and handed the king the sword of the city, and was knighted in return.  Two weeks later, he was made a baronet and later that year he held a further banquet - this time in Guildhall - for the King and both Houses of Parliament.  In 1664 Sir Thomas bought the estate of Poynter's Grove at Totteridge (Middx) which had belonged to a less fortunate Lord Mayor - Sir Thomas Gurney - who died incarcerated in the Tower of London in 1647.  He probably had hopes of establishing a dynasty, but his only son died in 1730 without surviving issue, having already sold Poynters Grove.

Hatfield Priory, Hatfield Peverel, Essex

At the Dissolution, the manor of Hatfield Peverel Priory was acquired by Giles Leigh, from whom it passed by marriage to the Alleyn family. They lived in the timber-framed old priory adjacent to the church until 1762 when Mrs Chambers (nee Alleyn) died and the estate was sold to John Wright of Witham, Master of the Guild of Coachmakers.  He demolished the old priory buildings and built the present house in 1769-71 on a new site about a hundred yards to the south, raised on a little knoll. 

Hatfield Priory from a print of 1818.

The house is of two storeys over a basement and five bays square, and has an exceptionally plain exterior of white brick, relieved only by shallow three-bay projections on the principal fronts and a small triangular pediment over the entrance.  The house has been attributed to the London master carpenter, John Philips (c.1709-75), who displayed a similar restraint in rebuilding his own house, Culham House (Oxon) at much the same time.  It is also possible that John Wright played a hand in the design, since he is described on his monument in the church as having 'more than ordinary knowledge of architecture, painting and the other liberal arts'.

After the exterior, the interior of the house is a complete surprise, as the fittings - doorcases, window architraves and chimneypieces - are tastefully arranged architectural salvage.  The probable source of most of the material is Giacomo Leoni's Thorndon Hall (Essex) of 1733-42, which was never finished and which was demolished in 1763. In the entrance hall the overmantel is a relief of the Sacrifice of Diana by Laurent Delvaux, dating from the 1720s. Three brackets supported busts by Pietro Torrigiano of Henry VII, Henry VIII as a young man and Bishop Fisher from the Holbein Gate at Whitehall Palace, demolished in 1759 (the busts themselves, restored by a young John Flaxman, are now in the V&A, the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York and the Getty Museum respectively).  Opposite the entrance are plaster reliefs of three kings celebrated for upholding civil liberties: Alfred (surrounded by six shields displaying the arms of the Wrights and their connections), George II and William III.  The other main rooms on the ground floor are the Drawing Room and Dining Room, and the former Library (now a kitchen); the basement level provided the kitchen, servants' hall and other service accommodation. The house and interior were beautifully restored for Adrian & Fiona Cowell in the 1980s.

The 40 acre grounds of the house were laid out by the Catholic landscape gardener, Richard Woods, and work may indeed have begun on this scheme before the house was rebuilt. The original plan survives but the date of it is uncertain as the original date has been trimmed off and '1765' - which was the year before Wright bought the estate - has been added in a later hand. Although very simple the scheme is of interest because it incorporated agricultural activity within the boundaries of the park in the manner of a ferme ornée. The plan seems to have been executed in full and the park remains very much as designed; the layout was restored in the 1980s by Fiona Cowell (Woods' biographer) and her husband. They also added the Gothick temple south of the house, which was built in 1986 using fragments of a garden building from Wardour Castle (Wilts) which was designed by Woods in 1768.

Descent: Gyles Leigh (fl. mid 16th cent.); to daughter, Margaret Leigh, wife of John Alleyn (d. 1558); to son, John Alleyn (c.1538-72); to son, Edmund Alleyn (1558-1616); to son, Sir Edward Alleyn (c.1586-1638), 1st bt.; to grandson, Sir Edmund Alleyn (c.1632-56); to son, Sir Edmund Alleyn (d. c.1658), 3rd bt.; to sister, Arabella Alleyn (1655-1746), wife of Francis Thompson MP and later of Lord George Howard; sold for life to Arthur Dobbs (d. 1750/1); reverted to Sir Edmund Alleyne (d. 1759), 8th bt.; to sister, Arabella Alleyn (d. 1762), wife of Rev. Henry Chalmers; sold under an order in Chancery, 1766 to John Wright who rebuilt the house and landscaped the grounds; to son, John Wright (d. 1796); to nephew, Peter Luard (later Wright); to grandson, John Wright (d. 1882); to son, John Wright; to widow (d. 1912); sold after her death to Charles Tennant (tenant since 1912); sold 1935 to Marianhill Mission, a Catholic lay brotherhood which closed 1972; sold to Dolph Claydon; sold to Derek Marriott for use as a school; sold 1979 to Adrian & Fiona Cowell, who restored the house and park; sold c. 2012.

Little Leighs Hall, Essex

A timber-framed and plastered house of 15th century or earlier origins, which was extended in the 17th century and given a taller south wing in about 1753.  It has also been much altered and renovated in the 20th century.  The south wing incorporates some moulded beams that may have been brought here when Leez Priory nearby was partly dismantled by Guy's Hospital in 1753.

Descent: George Scott (fl. c.1600); to daughter, Elizabeth Scott, wife of Sir Edward Alleyn (c.1586-1638), 1st bt.; to younger son, Sir George Alleyn (d. 1664), 4th bt.; to son, Sir George Alleyn (d. 1702), 5th bt.; to son, Sir Clopton Alleyn (d. 1726), 6th bt.; to brother, Sir George Alleyn (d. 1736/7), 7th bt.; to nephew, Sir Edmund Alleyn (d. 1759), 8th bt.; to sister, Arabella Alleyn (d. 1762), wife of Rev. Henry Chalmers...

Poynter's Grove, Totteridge, Middlesex

The house (also known as Pointers Grove, Poynters Hall or Poynters) was one of several substantial mansions at Totteridge.  In the 17th century it was the home of Sir Richard Gurney, the Lord Mayor of London who died in the Tower of London in 1647.  
Poynters Grove, from an old postcard

It was rebuilt in the early 18th century, probably for Sir Peter Meyer, as a five bay two storey house with two-bay pavilion wings and talled hipped roofs.  The wings were later extended and remodelled for Mrs. Williams, and the interior redecorated, but it remained substantially in this form until it was demolished sometime after the death of Mrs Harmsworth in 1925. A set of engravings made of the house and its surroundings in 1926 may have been done with commemorative intent.

Poynters Grove, from an engraving of c.1926

Poynters Grove: interior of drawing room in the early 20th century

Descent: Sir Richard Gurney (d. 1647); to widow; sold after 1652 to Sir John Aubrey (c.1606-79), 1st bt.; sold 1664 to Sir Thomas Allen (d. 1690); to son, Sir Thomas Allen (1648-1730), 2nd bt.; who sold to Sir Peter Mayer (d. 1728); sold to Sir John Sheffield; sold 1758 to Edward Williams; to widow; to niece, Miss D. Capper, later wife of Rev. William Shippen Wills of Cirencester, who leased to Charles Thelusson; sold to John Puget, Governor of Bank of England; to son, John Hey Puget MP (fl. 1826-58); to son, Col. John Puget; sold to Lewis Dunbar Brodie Gordon (d. 1872).. sold 1897 to Mrs Alfred Harmsworth (1838-1925); demolished after her death.

The Alleyns of Hatfield Peverel and Little Leighs

Alleyn, Richard (d. 1527) of Thaxted. He married (it is suggested but not certain that his wife was Alice Pelesholle (d. 1536)) and had issue:
(1) Sir John Alleyn (d. 1545), kt. (from whom descend the Alleynes of Gresley)
(2) John Alleyn of Thaxted (d. 1558) (q.v.);
(3) Christopher Alleyn, of London; married Agnes, younger daughter and co-heir of Gyles Leigh esq. of Walton-on-Thames (Surrey) and had issue four sons and three daughters (from whom descended the Allens of Hazeleigh Hall (Essex).
He is said to have owned an extensive estate in Essex.
He died 23 June 1527 at Thaxted.

Alleyn, John (d. 1558). Younger son of Richard Alleyn (d. 1527) of Thaxted.  He married Margaret, elder daughter and co-heir of Gyles Leigh esq. of Walton-on-Thames (Surrey) and had issue:
(1) John Alleyn (c.1538-72) (q.v.);
(2) Christopher Alleyn;
(3) Giles Alleyn, of Hatfield Peverel; married, 21 October 1566 at Terling (Essex), Christian, daughter of John West and had issue one son and three daughters.
He acquired the Hatfield Priory estate through his marriage.
He died 22 June 1558.

Alleyn, John (c.1538-72). Eldest son of John Alleyn (d. 1558) and his wife Margaret, daughter and co-heir of Gyles Leigh esq. of Walton-on-Thames (Surrey), born about 1538. He married three times and by Elizabeth Alabaster (d. 1568?) had issue three sons and four daughters including:
(1) Edmund Alleyn (1558-1616) (q.v.);
(2) Thomas Alleyn (c.1560-1635) (q.v.); 
(3) Elizabeth Alleyn (b. c.1565); married Christopher Goldingham esq. (fl. 1615) of Bulmer (Essex) and had issue one son and two daughters;
(4) Mary Alleyn (b. c.1568); married, 8 July 1589, William Coys (d. c.1627) of North Ockendon (Essex) and had issue; died before her husband.
He inherited the Hatfield Priory estate from his father in 1558, at the age of 20.
He died 1 December 1572.

Alleyn, Edmund (1558-1616). Elder son of John Alleyn (c. 1538-72) and his wife Elizabeth Alabaster, born 1558. He married 1st, Martha (d. 1593), daughter and co-heir of John Glascock esq. of Powers Hall, Witham (Essex) and 2nd, Alice [surname unknown] and had issue:
(1.1) Sir Edward Alleyn (c.1586-1638), 1st bt. (q.v.);
(1.2) Elizabeth Alleyn; married after 1610, as his second wife, Robert Castell (d. 1630) of East Hatley (Cambs) and had issue two sons and three daughters;
(1.3) Mary Alleyn (b. c.1590); married c.1612, Henry Hall (fl. 1671) of Greatford Hall (Lincs); dead by 1653/4 when he married again; probably died without issue;
(1.4) John Alleyn; died without issue in the lifetime of his father;
(1.5) Henry Alleyn; died without issue in the lifetime of his father;
(1.6) Anne Alleyn; died without issue;
(1.7) Agnes Alleyn; died without issue.
He inherited the Hatfield Priory estate from his father in 1572.
He died 12 September 1616 and his will was proved 27 September 1616.

Alleyn, Sir Edward (c.1586-1638), 1st bt. Only son of Edmund Alleyn (d. 1616) and his wife Martha, daughter and co-heir of John Glasscock of Pewters Hall, Witham (Essex), born about 1586 (said to be 30 in 1616). Sheriff of Essex, 1629-30.  Created a baronet, 24 June 1629.  He married Elizabeth (d. 1637/8), daughter and co-heir of George Scott esq. of Little Leighs and had issue:
(1) Martha Alleyn (d. 1639); married Rev. Joshua Blower (d. c.1681), vicar of Hatfield Peverel and rector of Fairsted, and had issue; buried 10 December 1639 at Hatfield Peverel;
(2) Edmund Alleyn (d. 1633) (q.v.);
(3) Sir George Alleyn (d. 1664), 3rd bt. (q.v.);
(4) John Alleyn; died without issue;
(5) Robert Alleyn; some genealogies associate him with the Robert Allyn who emigrated to Massachusetts in c. 1636 but I think this improbable;
(6) Dorothy Alleyn; died without issue.
(7) Mary Alleyn (b. 1618), baptised 25 October 1618; married, 20 June 1640, Robert Clive (d. 1697) of Styche Hall (Shropshire) and had issue a son; buried at Moreton Say (Shropshire).
He inherited the Hatfield Priory estate from his father in 1616, and considerable landed property (principally Little Leighs Hall, Stapleford Tawney Hall and Ovesham Hall, Matching) in Essex in right of his wife.  At his death the Hatfield estate passed to the son of his eldest son, and the Little Leighs estate to his second son, George.
He was buried 24 October 1638. His wife was buried 12 February 1637/8.

Alleyn, Edmund (d. 1632/3). Eldest son of Sir Edward Alleyn (c.1586-1638), 1st bt. and his wife Elizabeth, daughter and co-heir of George Scott esq. of Little Leighs.  Educated at Grays Inn (admitted 1619/20). He married Mary (d. 1633), daughter of Nicholas Miller esq. of Wrotham (Kent) and had issue:
(1) Sir Edmund Alleyn (1631/32-56), 2nd bt. (q.v.).
(2) Elizabeth Alleyn (1633-99), baptised 30 April 1633; married 1st, John Robinson (1626/7-59) of Denston Hall and 2nd, 11 September 1661, Sir William Jones (1630-82), kt., attorney-general to King Charles II; died 27 July 1699 and buried at Denston (Suffolk); will proved 12 August 1699;
He died in the lifetime of his father and was buried 4 March 1632/3. His widow was buried 18 June 1633.

Alleyn, Sir Edmund (c.1632-56), 2nd bt.  Elder son of Edmund Alleyn (d. 1633) and his wife Mary, daughter of Nicholas Miller esq. of Wrotham (Kent), born 1 January 1631/2 and baptised 12 January 1631/2. He married, 1 May 1651, Frances (1636-57), only daughter and heir of Thomas Gent esq. of Moyns Park, Steeple Bumpstead (Essex) and had issue:
(1) Sir Edmund Alleyn (d. c.1658), 3rd bt.; died young;
(2) Frances Alleyn (b. 1652), baptised 13 September 1652; died young;
(3) Arabella Alleyn (1655-1746), born 5 November and baptised 21 November 1655; married 1st, 2 December 1669, Francis Thompson esq., MP (d. 1693) of Humbleton (Yorks) and had issue one son, and 2nd, 1698 (separated 1707), Lord George Howard (d. 1720/21), third son of Henry Howard, 6th Duke of Norfolk; died 9 July 1746, aged 90.
He inherited the Hatfield Priory estate from his grandfather in 1638 and acquired the manor of Birdbrook through his marriage. At his death the title and estate passed to his infant son who died soon afterwards; the title then passed to his uncle, while the estate passed to his daughter; she sold Birdbrook in 1716 and conveyed the Hatfield estate for life to Arthur Dobbs (d. 1750/1).  After his death it passed to her kinsman, Sir Edmund Alleyn (d. 1759), 8th bt.
He died 2 November and was buried 25 November 1656 'with all the solemnityes and formalityes of a baronett', and his widow died 16 January 1657 and was buried with him at Hatfield Peverel, 9 February 1657.

Alleyn, Sir George (d. 1664), 4th bt of Little Leighs.  Younger son of Edmund Alleyn (d. 1633) and his wife Mary, daughter of Nicholas Miller esq. of Wrotham.  Educated at Grays Inn (admitted 1619/20). He married 1st, Margaret [surname unknown] (d. 1639); 2nd, Martha (d. c.1645), daughter of Roger Jones of Monmouthshire, and 3rd, Elizabeth Hall of Lincolnshire; had issue:
(1.1) Elizabeth Alleyn (b. 1637), baptised 19 October 1637; died young
(1.2) Edward Alleyn (b. 1638/9), baptised 2 February 1638/9; died unmarried before 1664;
(2.1) Mary Alleyn (b. 1643), baptised 11 August 1643;
(2.2) Sir George Alleyne (1644-1702), 5th bt. (q.v.);
(2.3) Martha Alleyn; died unmarried
(3.1) Ann Alleyn (b. 1647), baptised 22 February 1647/8; died in infancy;
(3.2) Ann Alleyn (b. 1648), baptised 12 February 1648/9; married Henry Freeman esq. of Higham Ferrers (Northants);
(3.3) Edmund Alleyn (b. 1649; fl. 1695), baptised 15 January 1649/50; brought a lawsuit in 1695 against his brother, Sir George, claiming that he and others had persuaded him to sign over the Lowlers estate at Great Leighs to them while he was temporarily of unsound mind; died unmarried.
He inherited the Little Leighs estate from his father in 1638.
He died in 1664 and was buried at Little Leighs. His first wife was buried at Hatfield Peverel, 12 September 1639.

Alleyn, Sir George (1644-1702), 5th bt. of Little Leighs Hall.  Only son of Sir George Alleyn (d. 1664), 4th bt. and his second wife Martha, daughter of Roger Jones of Monmouthshire, born 15 December and baptised 31 December 1644 at Hatfield Peverel. He married Mercy (d. 1728/9), youngest daughter of John Clopton esq. of Little Waltham and had issue:
(1) Sir Clopton Alleyn (1683-1726), 6th bt., baptised 1 November 1683; died unmarried, 1 September and was buried 3 September 1726 at Little Leighs;
(2) Frances Allen (1685-), baptised 3 January 1685;
(2) Sir George Alleyn (1689-1736/7), 7th bt., baptised 12 February 1689; died unmarried and was buried at Little Leighs, 17 March 1736/37; will proved 1746?;
(3) Edward Alleyn (1690-c.1740) (q.v.);
(4) John Alleyn (1692-1736), born 23? March and baptised 29 March 1692; died unmarried and was buried 29 November 1736 at Little Leighs.
He inherited the Little Leighs estate from his father in 1664.  After his death it passed in turn to his two elder sons and then to his only grandson.
He was buried at Little Leighs, 22 June 1702. His widow was buried at Little Leighs, 15 January 1728/9.

Alleyn, Edward (1690-c.1740).  Third son of Sir George Alleyn (d. 1702), 5th bt. and his wife Mercy, daughter of John Clopton of Little Waltham, born 23 May and baptised 25 May 1690 at Little Leighs.  Attorney-at-law, of Barnards Inn. He married, 28 July 1713, Mary, daughter of Rev. Thomas Trott, vicar of Great Saling (Essex) and had issue:
(1) Arabella Alleyne (1713-62), born 15 December 1713 and baptised 19 January 1714; married, 20 June 1747, Rev. Henry Chalmers (c.1722-86) MA, vicar of Earls Colne and rector of Little Waltham (Essex) and had issue one son and one daughter; died 1762
(2) Sir Edmund Alleyne (d. 1759), 7th bt. (q.v.);
(3) Clapton [recte Clopton?] Alleyn (b. 1717), baptised 13 March 1717; probably died young;
(3) Thomas Alleyn (1719-24), baptised 18 July 1719; died young and was buried 26 January 1724.
His date of death is unknown.

Alleyne, Sir Edmund (d. 1759), 8th bt. of Hatfield Peverel and Little Leez.  Only son of Edward Alleyn (fl. 1726) and his wife Mary, daughter of Rev. Thomas Trott, vicar of Great Saling.  Educated at Lincolns Inn (admitted 1737). Sheriff of Essex, 1752-53.  He married, 1757, Hon. Miss (Dorothy or Elizabeth) Tracy (d. before February 1758), daughter of Thomas Charles Tracy, 5th Viscount Tracy, but had no issue.
He inherited the Little Leighs estate from his great-uncle, Sir George Alleyn, 6th bt. and the Hatfield Priory estate under the will of his distant cousin, Arabella Howard, in 1751.  At his death his estates passed to his sister, Arabella Chalmers, and after her death in 1762 they were sold by order of the Court of Chancery.
He died from an apoplectic fit while riding near Bath, 15 September, and was buried at Hatfield Peverel, 29 September 1759. The baronetcy became extinct on his death.

The Alleyns of London and Totteridge (Middx)

Alleyn, Thomas (c.1560-1635). Second son of John Aleyne (c.1538-72) of Thaxted and Elizabeth Alabaster, born about 1560.  He married, 30 July 1582, Mary, daughter of Thomas Fairclough of Weston (Herts) and widow of William Haseldine (d. 1581), and had issue:
(1) Giles Alleyn (b. 1583; fl. 1634), baptised 2 May 1583; married and had issue;
(2) Ann Alleyn (b. 1584), baptised 2 October 1584; married Robert Haseldine;
(3) John Alleyn (b. 1585), baptised 27 September 1585; probably died young;
(4) Thomas Alleyn (b. 1586), baptised 3 November 1586; probably died young;
(5) Jane Alleyn (1587-1626), baptised 17 January 1587/8; married 12 April 1613, Rev. Peter Bulkeley (1582-1659) and had issue ten sons and two daughters; died 8 December 1626; her husband subsequently married again and emigrated to America;
(6) Ursula Alleyn (b. 1588; fl. 1634), baptised 15 October 1588; married, 30 July 1607 at Goldington (Beds), Lawrence Matthew (d. before 1634) of Harlington (Beds) and had issue;
(7) William Alleyn (b. 1590; fl. 1634) (q.v.);
(8) Joanna Alleyn (b. 1592), baptised 5 December 1592; married John Staple of Hatfield Peverell;
(9) Edmund Alleyn (b. 1594), baptised 10 February 1594;
(9) Richard Alleyn (b. 1595; fl. 1634), of Goldington (Beds), baptised 4 May 1595; married and had issue.
He owned property at Little Waltham (Essex) and Goldington (Beds).  At his death he bequeathed his leasehold property at Goldington to his son Richard and the bulk of his property to his eldest son, Giles.
He was buried 14 April 1635 at Little Waltham (Essex).

Alleyn, William (b. 1590; fl. 1634) of London. Second surviving son of Thomas Alleyn (c.1560-1635) and his wife Mary Fairclough of Weston (Herts), baptised 12 October 1590. Citizen and druggist of London. He married Elizabeth, daughter of William Cumpton of London and had issue:
(1) John Alleyn;
(2) Sir Thomas Alleyn (d. 1690)
(3) William Alleyn.
He died after 1634.

Alleyn alias Allen, Sir Thomas (d. 1690), 1st bt..  Eldest son of William Alleyn (fl. 1634) and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of William Cumpton of London, probably born about 1620. Citizen and grocer of Leadenhall Street, London; Alderman of the City of London, 1652-83, 1689-90; Sheriff of London, 1654; Lord Mayor of London, 1660; responsible for welcoming King Charles II on his return from exile, 29 May 1660, and knighted on that occasion at St George's, Southwark; created a baronet, 14 June 1660, and nominated as one of the intended members of the Order of the Royal Oak, 1660. On 5th July 1660 he held a banquet for the King and both Houses of Parliament in Guildhall. He was at the head of the commission for trying the Regicides, 1660; admitted to Grays Inn, 1673/4; Master of the Grocers' Company, 1676. He married, before 1648, Elizabeth Birch of London and had issue:
(1) Sir Thomas Allen (c.1648-1730), 2nd bt. (q.v.);

(2) Elizabeth Allen; married, 1663, Sir Dowse Fuller (d. 1673) of Chamberhouse.
He purchased the Pointer Grove, Totteridge (Herts) estate in 1664. 
He died 15 December 1690 and was buried at Totteridge (Middx). In 1660 his estate was said to be worth £2,000 a year, but at the time of his death, only £300 a year. His will was proved 13 December 1694.

Allen, Sir Thomas (1648-1730), 2nd bt. Only son of Sir Thomas Alleyn (d. 1690), 1st bt. and his wife Elizabeth Birch of London.  He married Elizabeth Angell, but had no surviving issue.
He inherited the Pointer Grove, Totteridge estate from his father in 1690.
He died 10 June 1730, when the baronetcy became extinct.


T. Wotton, English Baronetage, 1741, vol. 2, p. 151; Gentleman's Magazine, April 1757; Burke's Extinct and Dormant Baronetcies, 2nd edn, 1841, pp. 3-4; T. Wright, The history and topography of Essex, vol. 1, 1836, pp. 210, 245-46; G.E. Cokayne, Complete Baronetage, vol. 2, 1902, pp. 74-75; J. Bettley & Sir N. Pevsner, The buildings of England: Essex, 2nd edn, 2007, pp. 482-83; F. Cowell, Richard Woods (1715-93): master of the pleasure garden, 2009, pp. 205-06; J. Uglow, A gambling man, 2009, p. 49;  Many genealogical details for this family have been extracted from the original parish registers of Hatfield Peverel and Little Leighs, now available online.

Location of archives

No significant archive is known to survive.

Coat of arms

The family used the same arms as the Alleyns of Gresley: Sable, a cross potent or.

This account was last revised 3rd January 2015.

Friday 24 January 2014

(104) Alleyn of Gresley Hall

Alleyn of Gresley
In the 16th century, Sir John Alleyn (d. 1545) was twice Lord Mayor of London, and left his extensive fortune and property to be divided between two illegitimate sons.  One of these, Sir Christopher Alleyn (d. 1586), inherited the beautiful medieval manor house of Ightham Mote (Kent).  In 1556 Sir Christopher purchased the site of Gresley Priory in south Derbyshire, and he is said to have demolished the priory buildings and used the stone to build Gresley Hall. His purchase was made at about the time when he married Audrey, the daughter of the 1st Lord Paget, whose estates lay not far away in south Staffordshire, and it is possible that Gresley was acquired to make it easier for her to spend time with her family. Sir Christopher is said to have had eight children, but the only one of whom anything is known was his eldest surviving son, Charles Alleyn (d. 1592), who sold Ightham Mote in 1591 and made Gresley Hall his principal seat. (Since the family neither built Ightham nor held it for very long I have reserved an account of it to a future post on the Selby family, to whom it was sold).

Ightham Mote (Kent), home of the Alleyns in the 16th century.

Charles Alleyn's grandson, John Alleyn (d. 1646), was killed during the siege of Ashby-de-la-Zouch Castle by Parliamentarian forces during the Civil War, leaving a young family.  His elder son, John Alleyn, who came of age in about 1662, seems to have rebuilt Gresley Hall shortly afterwards, as the present house is dated 1664. John's grandson, Samuel Stephenson Alleyn (d. 1734), who died unmarried and may have suffered from epilepsy or intermittent mental health problems, was the last of his line, and following his death the estate was sold by his executors to the Meynell family of Meynell Langley Hall.

The Alleyns of Gresley are remarkably obscure in the historical record, and the genealogical details given below are unusually incomplete.  If any reader is able to supply more information, I should be particularly grateful to hear from them.

Gresley Hall, Church Gresley, Derbyshire

Gresley Old Hall. 

The house is reputed to have been built in 1556 for Sir Christopher Alleyn out of the materials of the demolished Gresley Priory, but the only survival of the 16th century house is a huge square chimneystack, once external but now encased in brick and within the house. It has four star-shaped brick flues on top of an ashlar stone lower part, all finely built, and there is a bevelled stone dripmould at the junction of the brick and stonework. However, the present building is dated 1664: it is an L-shaped two and a half storey brick house with curved Dutch gables on the south front, and could well be a fragment of a once larger E-shaped house.  There are now large, probably 19th century, east and north wings and flat-roofed mid 20th century extensions.  As built, the house had mullioned windows, but these have been replaced by unsympathetic steel-framed casements.  Inside, the house has a tall and impressive hall with a fine early 18th century staircase rising around three sides of the space.  In a cupboard in one of the attic cocklofts a plaster panel with the graffiti inscription "S.A. I.H. 1710" was found recently, which probably provides the date of the 18th century alterations to the house. The initials S.A. have been interpreted as referring to Samuel Alleyn, but since he had not yet inherited in 1710 and was only about ten years old, it is perhaps more likely that S.A. and I.H. were the initials of the craftsmen responsible for the work.

In the mid 18th century the house had an estate of 600 acres and was set in a fenced park, but in 1789 the house was said to be 'hastening fast to decay' and the property was subsequently dismembered for coal mining, the house tenanted as a farm and the outbuildings converted for use as a pottery in 1794.  In 1895, when the mining had destroyed too much of the estate for farming to be viable, it was converted into tenements.  It then lay derelict for some time before being purchased by a Miners' Welfare club, which employed Vernon Brice ARIBA to make it habitable in 1953.  The house now stands in a remnant of the former park, which has been somewhat enlarged by reclamation and landscaping in recent years.

Descent: sold 1556 to Sir Christopher Alleyn...John Alleyn (d. 1646); to son, John Alleyn; to son, John Alleyn (d. 1712); to son, Samuel Stevenson Alleyn (d. 1734); sold after his death to Littleton Poyntz Meynell... who let to Robert Bakewell, mayor of Derby and sold 1773 to Sir Nigel Gresley; to Sir Roger Gresley who sold 1828 to Marquess of Hastings; sold 1889 to John Hall (fl. 1895).. Miners Welfare Club; sold 1953 to National Coal Board.

Alleyn family of Gresley Hall

Alleyn, Richard (d. 1527) of Thaxted. He married and had issue:
(1) Sir John Alleyn (d. 1545), kt. (q.v.);
(2) John Alleyn of Thaxted (from whom descend the Alleyns of Hatfield Peverel)
(3) Christopher Alleyn, of London; married and had issue a son, Rafe Alleyn (from whom descended a family at Hayes Leigh (Essex).
He is said to have owned an extensive estate in Essex.
He died in 1527.

Alleyn, Sir John (d. 1545), kt. Son and heir of Richard Alleyn (d. 1527) of Thaxted (Essex). Sheriff of London, 1518; Lord Mayor of London, 1525 and 1535. Member of the Privy Council. He had illegitimate issue:
(X1) Sir Christopher Alleyn alias Gyllet alias Carleton (1505-85/6), kt. (q.v.);
(X2) Another son.
He died in 1545; by his will he left a gold collar of SS to be worn by the Lord Mayor of London and 'other noble gifts' to the city of London.

Alleyn (alias Gyllet alias Carleton), Sir Christopher (1505-85/6), kt. of Ightham Mote.  Elder of two illegitimate sons of Sir John Alleyn (d. 1545); born at Thaxted (Essex), 1505. Knighted at Westminster, 2 October 1553. JP for Kent from 1561. MP for New Romney, 1563. In 1564 he was described as 'conformable in religion' but ten years later he was said to keep 'a vile papistical house' and in 1585 his house was searched for 'relics' and his family and servants questioned. He married Audrey alias Etheldreda (c.1535-87), daughter of William Paget, 1st Baron Paget and had issue six sons and two daughters including:
(1) Charles Alleyn (c.1557-91/2) (q.v.).
He inherited from his father a widely scattered portfolio of real estate, including Ightham Mote. In 1556 he purchased the site and buildings of Gresley Priory (Derbys) and demolished them, building a new house from the stone.
He died 24 February 1585/6 and was buried at Ightham.

Alleyn, Charles (c.1557-91/2) of Ightham Mote, later of Gresley. Son of Sir Christopher Alleyn (1505-86) and his wife Audrey, daughter of William Paget, 1st Baron Paget, born about 1557. He married Elizabeth (b. c.1540), eldest daughter of Sir William Waller of Groombridge (Kent) and had issue including:
(1) Stephen Alleyn (fl. c.1600).
He inherited Ightham Mote and Gresley Hall from his father in 1586 but sold Ightham in 1591 and subsequently made Gresley his principal seat.
He died in 1591/92, aged 34.

Alleyn, Stephen (fl. c.1600) of Gresley Hall. Son of Charles Alleyn (d. 1591/2) and his wife Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Sir William Waller of Groombridge (Kent). He married Joan Apreece/Price of Washingley (Hunts), and had issue including:
(1) John Alleyn (d. 1646) (q.v.).
He inherited Gresley Hall from his father in 1592.

Alleyn, John (d. 1646). Son of Stephen Alleyn (fl. c1600) and his wife Joan Price of Washingley (Hunts).  He married 1st, Mary Powell and 2nd, Mary, daughter of Peregrine Stevens and had issue:
(1.1) Anne Alleyn; died in infancy;
(2.1) John Alleyn (b. c.1641) (q.v.);
(2.2) Mary Alleyn (b. c.1642); married John Berry (b. 1640) of Berrynarbor (Devon);
(2.3) Stephen Alleyn; married and had issue a daughter;
(2.4) Elizabeth Alleyn; died unmarried.
He inherited Gresley Hall from his father.
He died at the siege of Ashby-de-la-Zouch Castle, 1646. His widow married 2nd, Pole Turvile (d. 1686) of Tenby (Pembs).

Alleyn, John (b. c.1641) of Gresley Hall.  Elder son of John Alleyn (d. 1646) and his second wife Mary, daughter of Peregrine Stevens, born about 1641. He married Mary, eldest daughter of George Harper of Twyford, and had issue including:
(1) John Alleyn (c.1668-1712) (q.v.)
He inherited Gresley Hall from his father in 1646 and was presumably responsible for rebuilding it in 1664.
His date of death is unknown.

Alleyn, John (c.1668-1712).  Son of John Alleyn (b. c.1641), born about 1668. Educated at Queens College, Oxford (matriculated 1687).  He married, 3 October 1695, Esther (c.1673-1733), daughter of Samuel Stephenson, and had issue:
(1) Mary Alleyn;
(2) John Alleyn (1698-99); baptised 30 July 1698; died in infancy and was buried February, 1699;
(3) Esther Alleyn (b. 1700; fl. 1760); second daughter; married 1st, 4 March 1721, Thomas Cowper of Chester and had issue one son and two daughters; married 2nd, Lt-Col. Charles Gordon (d. before 1760);
(4) Samuel Stephenson Alleyn (c.1707-34) (q.v.);
(5) Anne Alleyn; married, 15 February 1732, Walter Warburton (fl. 1736) of the City of Chester.
He died 5 June 1712, aged 44, and was buried at Church Gresley, 7 June 1712; his will was proved 16 June 1712.  His widow died 5 May 1733 and was buried near her husband.

Alleyn, Samuel Stephenson (c.1707-34). Only surviving son of John Alleyn (c.1668-1712) and his wife Esther, daughter of Samuel Stephenson; born about 1707.  Educated at Christ Church, Oxford (matriculated 1722). He was unmarried and without issue, and he seems to have been known locally at the time as "Mad Allen", although his will and a subsequent legal case give no hint of mental instability. However a bequest of £210 to George Bateman of Derby "for his particular care and attendance of me", may hint at some disability that was not well understood at the time, such as epilepsy.
He inherited Gresley Hall from his father.  At his death it was left to two friends who sold it to the Meynell family.
His will was proved 25 February 1734.


Sir E. Brydges, The topographer, 1789, vol. 1, p. 458; M. Craven & M. Stanley, The Derbyshire country house, 2001, vol. 2, pp. 276-77; South Derbyshire Heritage News, 27, 2008, p.4 and 28, 2008, pp. 3-4.

Location of archives

No substantial archive is known to survive.

Coat of arms

Sable, a cross potent Or

Last revised 19th September 2014.

Sunday 19 January 2014

(103) Allen of Stillorgan, Viscounts Allen

Allen of Stillorgan,
Viscounts Allen
John Allen (d. c.1641) was born in Holland of English parents and was sent around 1600 to Dublin to be agent in Ireland for Dutch merchant interests.  However, once in Dublin he seems to have moved into the building trades; he had an interest in architecture and no doubt brought with him new ideas from the Low Countries.  Although he described himself as a bricklayer in his will (and was perhaps the John Allen, bricklayer made a freeman of Dublin in 1630), it is clear that he was more than a mere artificer. According to the Peerage of Ireland he was very handsome, and had a 'great skill in architecture', which caused him to be 'much esteemed, and consulted by the most eminent of the nobility and gentry in their buildings'. He was employed by Sir Thomas Wentworth, later Earl of Strafford, to build a house at Jigginstown (Co. Kildare) which he may have helped to design, but which was never finished, and he may also have worked for Wentworth at Dublin Castle and Fairwood (Co. Wicklow); other private commissions are recorded for Trinity College, Dublin and Howth Castle (Co. Dublin).

His son, Sir Joshua Allen (d. 1691), became a merchant in Dublin and rose to be Lord Mayor of the City in 1673.  It was he who amassed the wealth from which subsequent generations benefitted, and who invested the proceeds of his long career in land.  He bought the Stillorgan estate in 1684, lands at Bullock and Dalkey in Co. Kildare, and an estate at Ashton-upon-Mersey near Sale in Cheshire, which was near to the home of his brother-in-law, Richard Wybrow. When James II came to the throne he anticipated trouble in Ireland and moved to Ashton for a few years, from where he helped to organise the transport of King William III's troops to Ireland.  His estates in Ireland were sequestered under the General Act of Attainder, but restored before his death in 1691.

Col. John Allen (1661-1726) served under William III in Ireland and became a MP in the Irish Parliament in 1692.  He was a strong Whig, and helped to ensure the election of all three of his sons as well as himself to bolster the Whig interest during the Tory administrations under Queen Anne.  For this he was rewarded with membership of the Privy Council in 1714 and with a Viscountcy when he retired from the Irish house of commons in 1717. He further developed the family estates, buying the Arklow estate in Wicklow which passed to his elder surviving daughter and her husband.

It was John Allen who was responsible for building a plain but dignified new house at Stillorgan in 1695 and laying out the formal grounds there.  By the time of his death in 1726 tastes had changed and his son, Joshua Allen (1685-1742), 2nd Viscount Allen, wanted a grander and more fashionable house.  He commissioned the rising young architect, Sir Edward Lovett Pearce, to design a remodelling, but this was never carried out, although some changes were made to the gardens, including the construction of a grotto and the famous Stillorgan obelisk, which was influenced by Bernini's obelisk in the Piazza Navona in Rome.  It is possible that Lord Allen was already running through the money accumulated by his grandfather.  He entertained lavishly at Stillorgan and in Dublin, and Dean Jonathan Swift was a frequent guest, despite their political differences.  Eventually they had a falling-out, and as so often, the poet repaid his hospitality with waspish verses about his host:
Positive and overbearing,
Changeful still and still adhering,

Spiteful, peevish, rude, untoward,

Fierce in tongue, in heart a coward.
Judgement weak and passion strong,
Always various, always wrong.”
The 2nd Viscount was succeeded by his only surviving son, John Allen (1708-45), 3rd Viscount Allen.  He seems to have been mugged in the centre of Dublin one night in 1745, and although he fought off his attackers - and killed one of them - he received a wound in his hand which became infected and caused his death a month later.  The Stillorgan estate and other property in Ireland passed to his two surviving sisters, later Lady Carysfort and Lady Newhaven.  The latter had no surviving issue and so the Probys, Earls of Carysfort eventually inherited sole control of Stillorgan, which was let.  The estate was gradually broken up and sold for building from 1777 onwards, although the house continued to be occupied until 1860 and the ruins were not finally demolished until 1887.

When the 3rd Viscount died in 1745 his title passed to John Allen (d.1753), a grandson of the 1st Viscount, who had inherited a small estate at Punchestown, Co. Kildare.  This seems to have been sold after the death of the 4th Viscount in 1753.  His successor was his younger brother, who divided his time between Ireland and England.  He saw service in the British army in the 1750s and 1760s, and was MP for Eye (Suffolk) in the British Parliament 1762-70, but died at his house in Merrion Square, Dublin, in 1816.  The 6th and last Viscount had a thoroughly English upbringing, distinguished himself as an officer in the Guards during Wellington's Peninsula campaign, and then settled into the life of a dandy and man about town in London, acquiring the nickname "King" Allen.  He was described by Capt. Gronow as "a tall, stout, pompous-looking personage, remarkably well got up...His only exercise and usual walk was from White's [Club] to Crockford's [Club], and from Crockford's to White's". When he died unmarried and without issue in 1845, the viscountcy became extinct.

Stillorgan House, Co. Dublin

Drawing of Stillorgan House by H. Verschoyle. Image: National Library of Ireland.

Stillorgan House, from a drawing of c.1830 reproduced in Ball, History of County Dublin, 1902
A new house was built c.1695 as a two-storey block with wings for Colonel John Allen (later 1st Viscount Allen) in place of the original fortified manor house. It was surrounded by extensive gardens covering 13 acres which were laid out in the ‘Dutch style’ with straight avenues, clipped yew trees and box topiary, probably to the designs of an English nurseryman, Bullein, who had nurseries near Dublin. The grounds included three rectangular fish ponds, fed by a stream which flowed to the south of the Lower Kilmacud Road until culverted underground in the 20th century. 

Sir Edward Lovett Pearce, unexecuted design for Stillorgan House, c.1730.

In the years around 1730, the architect Sir Edward Lovett Pearce designed a replacement or remodelling of the house in Palladian style for the 2nd Viscount Allen, which was never built, although some of Pearce's designs for the gardens were executed. George Papworth designed a conservatory addition in 1811. The house was pulled down in 1887. 
The Stillorgan obelisk designed by Sir Edward Lovett Pearce, from an engraving of 1795. Image: British Library

In the former grounds there remains a spectacular obelisk, erected on four 'rustick Grotesque' arches, designed in 1727 by Sir Edward Lovett Pearce for the 2nd Viscount Allen. It was intended as a memorial to his wife, but in the event he predeceased her and she was buried elsewhere when she died in 1758. 

The Stillorgan obelisk in 1984. Image: Nicholas Kingsley.
Licenced under the Creative Commons licence.
Descent: sold 1684 to Sir Joshua Allen (fl. 1673-84); to son, Col. John Allen (d. 1726), 1st Viscount Allen; to son, Joshua Allen (1685-1742), 2nd Viscount Allen; to son, John Allen (d. 1745), 3rd Viscount Allen; to sisters, Elizabeth Allen, wife of John Proby (1720-72), 1st Baron Carysfort and Frances, wife of Sir William Mayne (1722-94), 1st Baron Newhaven of Carrick Mayne; it subsequently descended to the Probys of Elton Hall (Hunts), Earls of Carysfort; leased 1754-77 to Rt. Hon. Philip Tisdal and later to Right Hon. James Hewitt (d. 1789), Baron Lifford, Nicholas Le Fevre (fl. 1803), John Verschoyle (d. 1840) and Arthur Lee Guinness (fl. 1860); the grounds were sold off for building from 1777 onwards, and a large number of other gentry houses were built in the area of the former park; the house was allowed to fall into ruin after 1860 and was demolished 1887.

Allen family of Stillorgan, Viscounts Allen

Allen, John (d. c.1641), of Dublin.  Bricklayer and architect; his family emigrated from England to Holland in the late 16th century, and John Allen moved to Ireland at the end of Queen Elizabeth's reign as a factor for the Dutch.  He may be the John Allen, bricklayer, who was admitted a freeman of the City of Dublin in 1630. He married and had issue including:
(1) Sir Joshua Allen (d. 1691), kt. (q.v.).
About 1640 he laid the foundations of a house for himself at Mullynahack, outside the walls of Dublin, which was finished by his son. The house is said to have stood about where Oliver Bond Street is in the modern city.
He died about 1641; in his will, written that year, he left a substantial estate.

Allen, Sir Joshua (d. 1691), kt. Son of John Allen (d. c.1641), bricklayer and his wife Mary.  Merchant of Dublin; Lord Mayor of Dublin, 1673; knighted in Dublin, 29 May 1674. He was involved in speculative building in the city, for example in Capel Street.  During the reign of King James II he went to live on his estate in Cheshire, and following the Glorious Revolution he was involved in making arrangements for the shipment of King William III's troops to Ireland; his estates in Ireland were seized under the Act of General Attainder passed by the Irish Parliament in 1689, but later restored; he returned to Dublin after the battle of the Boyne in 1690. He married Mary (d. 1709), daughter of John Wybrow of Cos. Kerry and Limerick, and sister of Capt. Richard Wybrow of Cheshire and had issue:
(1) John Allen (1661-1726), 1st Viscount Allen (q.v.).
(2) Elizabeth Allen; married Anthony Shephard MP of Newcastle (Co. Longford) and had issue one daughter;
(3) Elinor Allen; married, 12 March 1700, Henry Westenra of Rathleagh, son of Warner Westenra of Dublin and had issue one son and two daughters;
(4) Mary Allen (b. c.1667); married c.1693, Arthur Cooper of Markree Castle (Co. Sligo);
He completed the house called Allen's Court at Mullynahack near Dublin begun by his father, and later lived in one of the first houses around St. Stephen's Green, Dublin. In 1684 he purchased the Stillorgan estate, which descended to his eldest son, and property at Bullock and Dalkey in Co. Kildare, which passed to his younger sons. He also bought an estate at Ashton-upon-Mersey (Cheshire) which seems to have provided the dowry for his daughters.
He died 8 July 1691. His widow died in Dublin, 7 September 1709.

Allen, Col. John (1661-1726), 1st Viscount Allen.  Son of Sir Joshua Allen (d. c.1692) and his wife Mary Whybrow, born 13 February 1660/61. Educated at Trinity College, Dublin (matriculated 1677). Served in King William III's army in Ireland c.1690 and was appointed sheriff of Dublin, 1691. MP for Co. Dublin, 1692-95, 1703-13, 1715-17, Co. Carlow, 1695-1703 and Co. Wicklow, 1713-15, in the Irish Parliament. Appointed to Privy Council of Ireland, 9 October 1714; created 1st Baron Allen of Stillorgan and 1st Viscount Allen, 27 August 1717. He married, about 23 July 1684, Mary (1666-after 1697), eldest daughter of Hon. Robert Fitzgerald and sister of Robert Fitzgerald, 19th Earl of Kildare, and had issue:
(1) Joshua Allen (1685-1742), 2nd Viscount Allen (q.v.);
(2) Robert Allen (1687-1741), baptised 12 May 1687; educated at Trinity College, Dublin (admitted 1704); MP for Carysfort, 1713-14 and Co. Wicklow, 1715-41 in the Irish Parliament; married 16 January 1707, Frances, daughter of Robert Johnson, baron of the exchequer, and had issue including two surviving daughters; died 16 December 1741;
(3) Richard Allen (1691-1745) (q.v.).
He inherited the Stillorgan estate from his father and rebuilt the house in 1695 and St. Brigid's church in Stillorgan, 1706-12. He also expanded the estate, buying the town and lands of Arklow (Co. Wicklow).
He died in London, 8 November and was buried 19 November 1726 at St James, Dublin; his will was proved the same month.

Allen, Joshua (1685-1742), 2nd Viscount Allen.  Eldest son of John Allen (1660-1726), 1st Viscount Allen, and his wife Mary, eldest daughter of Robert Fitzgerald, born 17 September 1685.  Educated at Trinity College, Dublin (matriculated, 1701; LLD, 1718); MP for Co. Kildare, 1709-14, 1715-26. Succeeded his father as 2nd Viscount, 8 November 1726. He married, 18 October 1707, Margaret (d. 1758), daughter of Samuel du Pass esq. of Epsom (Surrey) and had issue:
(1) John Allen (1708-45), 3rd Viscount Allen;
(2) Joshua Allen (b. 1717), born June 1717; died young;
(3) Mary Allen; died young;
(4) Margaret Allen; died young;
(5) Catherine Allen; died young;
(6) Elizabeth Allen (1722-83), born 19 July 1722; married, 27 August 1750, John Proby, 1st Baron Carysfort and had issue one son and one daughter; died 18 March 1783;
(7) Frances Allen (d. 1801); married, 15 July 1758, Rt. Hon. Sir William Mayne (1722-94), 1st bt. and 1st Baron Newhaven and had issue one son, who died young.
He inherited the Stillorgan House estate from his father in 1726 and commissioned designs from Sir Edward Lovett Pearce for its remodelling as a Palladian house, which were not executed.  Pearce did, however, build the obelisk and a grotto in the grounds. 
He died at Stillorgan, 5 December and was buried 8 December 1742; his will was proved April 1743. His widow died in London, 4 March and was buried 9 March 1758 at St James, Piccadilly; her will was proved 24 November 1758.

Allen, John (1708-45), 3rd Viscount Allen.  Only son of Joshua Allen (1685-1742), 2nd Viscount Allen and his wife Margaret, daughter of Samuel du Pass of Epsom (Surrey). MP for Carysfort, 1733-42 in the Irish Parliament.  Succeeded his father as 3rd Viscount, 5 December 1742. He was unmarried and without issue.
He inherited the Stillorgan House estate from his father in 1742. At his death his estates passed to his two surviving sisters, but the title passed to his cousin. 
He died on 25 May 1745 from an infected wound in the hand received when he was 'insulted in the public streets by some disorderly dragoons' - one of whom he killed - on 26 April 1745.

Allen, Richard (1691-1745). Youngest son of John Allen (d. 1726), 1st Viscount Allen, and his wife Mary, eldest daughter of Robert Fitzgerald, born 16 July and baptised 22 July 1691.  MP for Athy, 1715-27 and Co. Kildare, 1727-45 in Irish Parliament.  He married Dorothy (d. 1757), daughter and heiress of Maj. Green of Killaghy (Co. Tipperary) and had issue:
(1) John Allen (1726-53), 4th Viscount Allen (q.v.);
(2) Joshua Allen (1728-1816), 5th Viscount Allen (q.v.);
(3) Richard Allen; died young;
(4) Samuel Allen; died young;
(5) Mary Allen; died young;
(6) Dorothy Allen; died young;
(7) Joshua Allen (fl. 1756); Lieutenant of Foot;
(8) Richard Allen (fl. 1756);
(9) Jane Allen (fl. 1756);
(10) Elizabeth Allen; married, 18 December 1767, Capt. Browne.
He died 14 April 1745. His widow died 4 May 1757.

Allen, John (d. 1753), 4th Viscount Allen.  Eldest son of Richard Allen (1696-1745) and his wife Dorothy, daughter and heiress of Maj. Green of Killaghy (Co. Tipperary). Captain in the Army; MP for Co. Wicklow, 1742-45; after taking an active part in politics against the Government he retired from public life. He succeeded his cousin as 4th Viscount Allen, 25 May 1745. He was unmarried and without issue.
He lived at Punchestown (Co. Kildare).
He died at Punchestown, 10 November 1753.

Joshua Allen, 5th Viscount Allen
by Sir Joshua Reynolds, 1762
Allen, Joshua (1728-1816), 5th Viscount Allen.  Second son of Richard Allen (1696-1745) and his wife Dorothy, daughter and heiress of Maj. Green of Killaghy (Co. Tipperary), born 26 April 1728. He succeeded his elder brother as 5th Viscount Allen, 10 November 1753. Served in the Army as a Captain in the 37th Regiment, 1758-63 and was wounded at the Battle of Minden, 1759; captain in 1st Foot Guards, 1763-65. MP for Eye (Suffolk), 1762-70; obtained a pension of £600 a year in 1770. He married, 5 August 1781, Frances (c.1759-1833), eldest daughter of Gaynor Barry esq. of Dormstown (Co. Meath) and had issue:
(1) Joshua William Allen (c.1782-1845), 6th Viscount Allen (q.v.);
(2) Frances Elizabeth Allen (d. 1826); died unmarried, 31 January 1826;
(3) Letitia Emily Dorothea Allen (d. 1878); married, 17 May 1806, Hon. & Very Rev. Henry Herbert (1778-1847), Dean of Manchester, son of Henry, 1st Earl of Carnarvon, and had issue two sons and two daughters; she died 14 June 1878.
He died 1 February 1816 at his house in Merrion Square, Dublin. His widow died in London, 11 August and was buried at St James, Westminster, 20 August 1833, and her will was proved the same month.

Allen, Joshua William (c.1782-1845), 6th Viscount Allen. Only son of Joshua Allen (1728-1816), 5th Viscount Allen, born c.1782.  Educated at Christ Church, Oxford (matriculated, 1801). Served under the Duke of Wellington in the Peninsula Campaign as an officer in the Guards. For a drawing of him by the Count d'Orsay, see here. He was a famous dandy and known as "King" Allen, but was described by Creevey as "A penniless Lord and Irish pensioner, well behaved and not encumbered with too much principle". He succeeded his father as 6th Viscount Allen, 1 February 1816.
He died and was buried in Gibraltar, 21 September 1845, when the peerage became extinct.


Burke's Dormant and Extinct Peerages, 1883, p. 5; F.E. Ball, A history of the county of Dublin, vol. 1, 1902, pp. 119-30; G.E. C[okayne], Complete Peerage, 1910, vol. 1, pp. 110-111; E. Malins & Knight of Glin, Lost demesnes, 1976, pp. 7-8; R. Loeber, A biographical dictionary of architects in Ireland, 1600-1720, 1981, p. 13; J. McVeagh, Richard Pococke's Irish Tours, 1995, p. 126 and n.153; J. Howley, The follies and garden buildings of Ireland, 1995, pp. 10-11, 26-27; C. Casey (ed.), The Eighteenth-Century Dublin Town House, 2010, pp. 65, 71.

Location of archives

No significant archive is known to survive, although it is possible that there are some records among the papers of the Proby family at Elton Hall (Hunts), where Sir Edward Lovett Pearce's designs for Stillorgan are also kept.

Coat of arms

Argent, two bars wavy, azure; on a chief of the latter, an estoile between two escallop shells, or.