|Baildon of Baildon|
Robert Baildon was succeeded by his son William Baildon (1562-1627), who had antiquarian interests and helped Roger Dodsworth with his collections of information about the history of Yorkshire. He was infirm and increasingly blind for the last decade of his life, and his son, William Baildon junior (c.1588-1627) therefore took over an increasing part of his father's role on the estate and in the county during his father's lifetime. He survived his father, however, by only a few months, and his widow, Frances, only gave birth to the heir to the estate several months after his death, in October 1627. Frances married again in 1632, to a recusant, George Tempest, from whom she was temporarily separated on account of their religious differences in about 1635, and she also had an affair with her friend Lewis Sheffield which resulted in a conviction for adultery and a large fine. She was, however, subsequently reconciled with her second husband and bore him several children. The guardianship of Francis Baildon (1627-69), her son by her first marriage, was sold by the Court of Wards & Liveries in 1633, and changed hands several times in the next few years. This sequence of events set up a situation in which too many people had competing and overlapping interests in the Baildon estate, with the predictable result that there was constant litigation about the estate for more than twenty years. At the same time, the Civil War was unfolding. In 1642, Francis Baildon was sent to Skipton Castle as a place of safety by his Royalist guardian, and he was still there when the castle was beseiged and surrendered in 1645. On the pretext that his presence indicated he had been in arms against Parliament, the Baildon estate was sequestered, and Francis' minority (which did not end until 1648) and the fragmented rights in the estate, meant that Francis was not able to finally complete the process of compounding for the estate until 1653. The complexities over the estate gradually unwound between Francis' coming of age in 1648, and the Restoration in 1660. It was probably after that he rebuilt the main part of the house, leaving only the south wing of the earlier building, which had been remodelled by his mother c.1630.
Francis Baildon and his wife Jane (d. 1694) had no sons, and their only daughter Mary (1649-79), the last of this main line of the Baildons, married Bredwardine Tindall (d. 1687) and also left only a single daughter: Lucy Tindall (1674-1715), later the wife of Edward Thompson of Marston. On the death of Jane Baildon in 1694 the estate passed to Lucy and her husband, who lived on her husband's property at Marston, and Baildon Hall began a long slide down the social scale to use as a farmhouse in the 19th century.
Baildon Hall, Yorkshire (WR)
|Baildon Hall: entrance front, c.1912. The lower projecting wing on the right represents the earlier part of the house.|
|Baildon Hall: ground plan, 1912.|
After Jane Baildon's death in 1694, subsequent owners of the house made increasingly little use of it, and it gradually descended into use as a farmhouse. In 1912, the house was said to be 'rather forlorn', and in the 1930s there was a real possibility that the house might be demolished. It was acquired in 1936 by a firm of house-builders who developed the land around it but were persuaded to preserve the house and sell it on, with very little land, to the local freemasons' lodge. During the Second World War they loaned it to the Auxiliary Fire Service, which converted it into a social club, and after the war it was acquired by Baildon Hall Social Club to maintain this use. It continues to function as a social club today.
Descent: John de Baildon (fl. 1362); to son, William de Baildon (d. by 1417); to son, Nicholas de Baildon (probably d. by 1437); to son, Nicholas Baildon (1396-c.1452); to son, Robert Baildon (d. 1473); to son, Walter Baildon (c.1448-1510); to son, John Baildon (c.1468-1526); to son, Robert Baildon (c.1496-1559); to son, Nicholas Baildon (c.1519-60); to son, Robert Baildon (1541-99); to son, William Baildon (1562-1627); to son, William Baildon (c.1590-1627); to son, Francis Baildon (c.1627-69); to widow, Jane Baildon (d. 1694); to granddaughter Lucy (1674-1715), wife of Edward Thompson (1670-1734) of Marston; to son, Francis Thompson (1701-41); to daughter, Anna Jane Thompson (c.1738-65), later wife of Paul Meyer (d. 1763) of Pontefract; to half-brother, William Meeke (later Meyer) (executed for murder, 1781); to son, William Meyer (later Thompson) (1772-1839); to sister, Anna Jane Meyer (later Meeke) (1775-1852); sold 1849 to William Maude (c.1781-1860); to son, Abraham Maude (d. 1876); to son, William Wade Maude (d. 1933); sold 1936 to a house-builder; sold 1936 to Baildon Lodge of Freemasons; lent to Auxiliary Fire Service, 1939, who converted it into a social club; sold late 1940s to Baildon Hall Social Club.
Baildon family of Baildon
(1.2) William Baildon (c.1588-1627);
Location of archives
Baildon family of Baildon: genealogical notes of W.P. Baildon, 19th-20th cents. [West Yorkshire Archives Service, Bradford [WPB; 15D74 Box 10 Case 1]
Coat of arms
Argent, a fesse between three fleurs-de-lys sable.
Can you help?
Here are a few notes about information and images which would help to improve the account above. If you can help with any of these or with other additions or corrections, please use the contact form in the sidebar to get in touch. Can anyone:
- Supply good photographs of the parlour or staircase at Baildon Hall?
Revision and acknowledgements
This post was first published 18 January 2018.