Saturday, 13 September 2014

(139) Andrewes (later Uthwatt) of Lathbury and Great Linford

Andrews of Lathbury, baronets
The first Sir William Andrewes (1565-1625), kt., who was a younger son of the Andrewes family of Libury in Hertfordshire, was able to buy an estate at Lathbury (Bucks) in 1593, establish himself as a country gentleman, and later build a new house at Lathbury which survived until about 1801, although no drawing of it is known.  His son, Sir William Andrewes (c.1590-1657), kt. married into the Temples of Stowe but seems to have had a hot temper; he fell out with one of his brothers in law and was accused of assaulting him in Lincolns Inn Fields in 1634. Despite this, Sir William seems not to have taken a particularly active part in the Civil War: his house was used first as stabling for the Royalist party but after Newport Pagnell was captured and garrisoned by the Parliamentarians, the house was used to hold Royalist prisoners captive. There is no record of the estate being sequestrated, so Sir William was presumably Parliamentarian in sympathies.

Sir Henry Andrewes (1624-96), was created a baronet in 1661, but had no surviving male issue, and the Lathbury estate passed on his death to his nephew, Henry Andrewes (1667-1744), who was trained as a barrister.  He left only daughters, the eldest of whom, Elizabeth Uthwatt (1700-64), inherited the estate but transferred it in 1753 to her son, Henry Uthwatt (1728-57). Henry also inherited the Great Linford estate from his uncle in 1754, but the two estates did not remain together and passed by different descents.  Henry unfortunately died without children before he was thirty, and Great Linford was held by his widow until 1800; Lathbury reverted to his mother, and passed on her death to her niece, Jane Symes (d. 1799). She divided the estate between a cousin, Margaret Dallway, and a friend, Mansel Dawkins Mansel, who obtained the major portion including the house, which he rebuilt in 1801. The estate was sold after he committed suicide in 1822.

The will of Henry Uthwatt (1728-57) provided for the descent of Great Linford after the expiry of his wife's life interest, and in 1800 it passed to his third cousin, the Rev. Henry Uthwatt Andrewes (1755-1812), on condition that he and future descendants took the name Uthwatt, which he did in 1803.  The Rev. Henry Uthwatt Uthwatt, as he became, had six sons.  The eldest, Henry Andrewes Uthwatt (1787-1855), established a bank in partnership with his father but never married, so on his death the estate passed to his brother, Rev. William Andrewes Uthwatt (1793-1879), who was minister of a number of local churches including Stowe, where he was also chaplain to the Duke of Buckingham.  He married the daughter of the vicar of Maids Moreton (Bucks), and through her acquired the manor of Maids Moreton, which passed to his only daughter, Mary Henrietta Turner Hutton Andrewes Andrewes (d. 1916).  Great Linford was entailed on male descendants, however, and passed to his next surviving brother, Augustus Thomas Andrewes Uthwatt (1798-1885).

For reasons which remain entirely obscure, Augustus had lived a double life for over half a century. After training and working as a solicitor in Barnet for some years, in 1835 he apparently 'dropped out' and assiduously cultivated obscurity; he moved to Cornwall, and later the Liverpool area. How he supported himself at this time is not clear although it is apparent he was not in easy circumstances.  In Cornwall he formed a relationship with a young orphan gentlewoman, a Miss Manning, by whom he had five children. To his children, theirs was apparently a normal marriage and family, although the family dynamics would seem from later press reports to have been quite odd. Augustus had limited contact with his siblings, but to them he represented himself as a bachelor, and in his dealings with the estate he behaved pretty consistently as though his heir under the entail was his next brother, Edolf Andrewes Uthwatt (1805-82) and when he died, the latter's son, William Francis Edolph Andrewes Uthwatt (1870-1921).  When he died in 1885, therefore, it was  surprise to all parties to discover that he had a large family, and an elder son who expected to inherit the Great Linford estate. A legal case resulted, in which the judge concluded that on the balance of probabilities, Augustus and Miss Manning had not been married, and therefore his children were illegitimate and not eligible to inherit.  The case has some parallels with the mystery of the disappearing baronetcy which I wrote up last year, but on this occasion the motivation that led Augustus to enmesh himself in layers of duplicity over many decades is quite obscure.

Great Linford passed to William Francis Edolph Andrewes Uthwatt (1870-1921), who married into the Bouveries of Delapré Abbey. His son, Maj. William Rupert Edolph Andrewes Uthwatt-Bouverie (1899-1954) subsequently inherited and sold both the Great Linford and Delapré estates.  The Maids Moreton estate passed from Miss Mary Andrewes (d. 1916) to her cousin, Thomas Andrewes Uthwatt (1846-1927), and his son, Eusebius Andrewes Andrewes (1875-1954) appears to have sold it. 

Lathbury Place, later Lathbury Park, Buckinghamshire

Lathbury Park: the new house built in 1801 for Mansel Dawkins Mansel.

Nothing is known of the house which is reputed to have been built in the early 17th century by the first Sir William Andrewes, and which was known as Lathbury Place. The present house is a plain stone building built on the same site in 1801 for Mansel Dawkins Mansel (d. 1822).  It has a five bay front with arched windows on the ground floor; the Doric porch in the centre is a mid 19th century addition. In the 1920s the house was used as a school preparing boys for entry to Sandhurst, and it is reported later to have been used as an agricultural college (in the 1930s) and a maternity home (in the 1940s). It is now once more in private occupation.

Descent: sold 1592 to Sir William Andrews, kt. (1565-1625); to son, Sir William Andrews, kt. (c.1590-1657), who settled the estate in 1650 on his son, Sir Henry Andrews, 1st bt. (1624-96); to nephew, Henry Andrews (1667-1744); to daughter, Elizabeth Andrews (1700-64), wife of Richard Uthwatt (d. 1749) of Rickmansworth (Herts), who settled the estate in 1753 on her son, Henry Uthwatt (d. 1757), but it reverted to her on her death; to niece, Jane Symes (c.1733-99), who bequeathed the estate  to her cousin Margaret Dallwey and her friend, Mansel Dawkins Mansel (d. 1822), who built a new house; to his sons who sold c.1824 to Richard John Tibbits of Barton Segrave (Northants); to daughter, Mary Isabella Tibbits (d. 1904), wife of Samuel Hood (later Hood-Tibbits) (1808-46), 3rd Viscount Hood; to son, Francis Wheler Hood (1838-1907), 4th Viscount Hood, who sold c.1905 to William Trevor (fl. 1925)...

Great Linford Manor, Buckinghamshire

Great Linford Manor. Image: Mick Finn. Licenced under this Creative Commons licence.

Great Linford is one of the many villages swallowed up by the creation from the 1960s onwards of the new city of Milton Keynes, but the setting of the manor house, church, school and almshouses in a loop of the Grand Union Canal has been preserved by the planners. Much of the ensemble is due to Sir William Pritchard (c.1632-1705), who bought the estate in 1683, demolished the medieval manor house and what was left of the medieval village, and built a grand new square double-pile house in 1688-89 to the designs of the mason/ contractor, George Kempe, and joiner, William Adderbury, as well as the school and almshouses.

In about 1728-30, Thomas Uthwatt (d. 1754) refronted the house in ashlar and probably added the attic storey and the lower kitchen wing to the north.  The doorcase appears to be 17th century but has been re-used, and at one time incorporated a cartouche with the Uthwatt arms. Inside, the panelling and chimneypieces seem also to date from the 1720s or 1730s.  Uthwatt also built two large symmetrical pedimented stable pavilions either side of the approach drive but facing back towards the house; the intent seems not to form a single Palladian composition with the house but to frame the approach in the view from the house.

Rather later, apparently in the 1740s, a south wing was built to match the north wing and provide a fashionable 'Great Room' for entertaining.  It is austerely plain outside, but has Rococo decoration within, some of it renewed when the house was restored and converted into an arts centre in 1978-81 by Donald Insall & Partners.  It has since become a recording studio.

Descent: Crown granted 1560 to John Thompson (d. 1597); to son, Robert Thompson (d. 1633), a lunatic, whose son, Sir John Thompson, kt. managed the estate and sold it 1640 to Sir Richard Napier (d. 1676), kt.; to son, Thomas Napier, who sold 1678 to Sir William Pritchard (c.1632-1705), kt.; to nephew, Richard Uthwatt (d. 1719); to son, Thomas Uthwatt (d. 1754); to nephew, Henry Uthwatt (d. 1757); to widow, Frances Uthwatt (d. 1800) and then to his cousin, Rev. Henry Uthwatt Andrewes (later Uthwatt) (1755-1812); to son, Henry Andrewes Uthwatt (1787-1855); to brother, Rev. William Andrewes Uthwatt (1793-1879); to brother, Augustus Thomas Andrewes Uthwatt (1798-1885); to nephew, William Francis Edolph Andrewes Uthwatt (d. 1921); to son, William Rupert Edolph Andrewes Uthwatt (later Uthwatt-Bouverie) (1899-1954), who sold the estate.

Andrewes family of Lathbury

Andrewes, Sir William (1555-1625), kt.  Younger son of John Andrewes of Libury Hall, Great Mundon (Herts) and his wife Anne, daughter of William Brown of Essex, born 1 January 1555. Escheator for Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire, 1598-99; sheriff of Buckinghamshire, 1607; knighted, 12 May 1604. He married, 8 December 1585 at Aston (Herts), Elizabeth, daughter of William Wilcocks of Romney (Kent) and had issue:
(1) Thomasine Elizabeth Andrewes (c.1588-1625); married 1st, 25 May 1606 at Lathbury, Sir Francis Freeman of Great Billing (Northants) but had no issue, and 2nd, before 1617/8, Richard Butler (c.1578-1651), 3rd Viscount Mountgarret, but had no issue; died 1625.
(2) Sir William Andrewes (c.1590-1657), kt. (q.v.);
(3) Edolph Andrewes (b. c.1594; fl. 1627/8), born about 1594; married, 30 December 1617, Dorothy, daughter of John Thompson of Husborne Crawley (Beds);
He purchased the major part of the manor of Lathbury in 1592 and is reputed to have built a new manor house called Lathbury Place in the early 17th century.
He died 5 November 1625 and was buried at Lathbury, 7 December 1625. His wife's date of death is unknown.

Andrewes, Sir William (c.1590-1657), kt.  Son of Sir William Andrewes (1555-1625), kt. and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of William Wilcocks of Romney (Kent), born about 1590. Knighted, 6 May 1618. Sheriff of Buckinghamshire, 1630. He fell out with one of his wife's brothers, the Rev. Dr. Thomas Temple, vicar of Bourton-on-the-Water, who claimed that he had been trying to provoke him into fighting a duel for years. Their differences reputedly culminated in a murderous assault, when Andrewes chased Temple into Lincoln's Inn Fields, assaulted him with his stiletto, and would have killed him had not some bystanders intervened. Sir William was bound over by a justice to keep the peace, but fearing a further assault, Temple's mother subsequently petitioned the Court of Chivalry, asking the court to settle their differences. Sir William married, 1617, Ann, daughter of Sir Thomas Temple of Stowe (Bucks), and had issue:
(1) Temple Andrewes (fl. 1622; d. 1625); died young and was buried at Lathbury, June 1625;
(2) Sir Henry Andrewes (1624-96), 1st bt. (q.v.);
(3) Edward Andrewes (d. 1690) (q.v.)
(4) William Andrewes (d. 1689) of Shingleton, Great Chart (Kent); died unmarried; will proved 23 October 1689;
(5) Elizabeth Andrewes (d. 1692); married 1st, Richard Browne (fl. 1657) of Shingleton, Great Chart (Kent) and had issue a daughter (Elizabeth Browne, who married Thomas Leigh (1652-1710), 2nd Baron Leigh and died 1678); married 2nd, her cousin, Col. Temple (d. by 1677); will proved 26 July 1692;
(6) John Andrewes; probably died young;
(7) George Andrewes (d. 1681) of Great Chart (Kent), married Anne [surname unknown] but apparently died without issue; will proved 25 April 1681;
(8) Alexander Andrewes (d. 1695), of London; died unmarried and was buried at Southwark, 5 March 1694/5; will proved 27 February 1694/5.
He inherited the Lathbury Place estate from his father in 1625, and settled it on his eldest son in 1650.
He died in 1657 and was buried at Lathbury. His wife's date of death is unknown.

Andrewes, Sir Henry (1624-96), 1st bt.  Eldest surviving son of Sir William Andrewes (d. 1657), kt. and his wife Ann, daughter of Sir Thomas Temple of Stowe (Bucks), born 1624. He married 1st, 1650, Elizabeth, daughter of John Brown of Shingleton, Great Chart (Kent), and 2nd, 22 February 1662/3 at St Gregory by St Pauls, London, Elizabeth, widow of John Drew of Devizes (Wilts), and had issue:
(1) Margaret Andrewes (fl. late 17th cent.).
The Lathbury Place estate was settled on him by his father in 1650, and in 1656 he bought the other moiety of the manor of Lathbury.  At his death his property was left to his nephew, Henry Andrews (d. 1744).
He died in 1696 and was buried at Lathbury; his will was proved 24 September 1696. His second wife probably died c.1693-94.

Andrewes, Edward (d. 1690). Second surviving son of Sir William Andrewes (d. 1657), kt. and his wife Ann, daughter of Sir Thomas Temple of Stowe (Bucks).  He married, about November 1664 at Cottisford (Oxon), Anne, daughter of Thomas Grove of Buckingham and widow of John Hart and had issue:
(1) Elizabeth Andrewes (c.1666-1722); married John Bromsall of Blunham (Beds) and had issue; died 2 May 1722;
(2) Henry Andrewes (1667-1744) (q.v.);
(3) Edward Andrewes (1669-1733); buried at Lathbury, 17 October 1733;
(4) John Andrewes (d. 1739); buried at Lathbury, 3 September 1739;
(5) Thomas Andrewes (1676-1732) (q.v.).
He was buried 1 April 1690.

Andrewes, Henry (1667-1744). Eldest son of Edward Andrewes (d. 1690) and his wife Ann Hart, born 1667. Educated at Inner Temple (admitted, 1690; called to bar, 1697); barrister at law; sheriff of Buckinghamshire, 1705. He married, 8 July 1697, Jane, daughter of George Cole of London and had issue:
(1) A son, who died in infancy;
(2) Elizabeth Andrewes (1700-64) (q.v.); 
(3) Anne Andrewes (b. 1703), baptised 10 August 1703; married, 23 June 1726 at Lathbury, Henry Harris of Winchester; probably died without issue before 1735;
(4) Jane Andrewes (1705-78), born 4 and baptised 19 December 1705; married, 22 July 1723 at St Nicholas Cole Abbey, London, Rev. William Symes (c.1691-1756) of Compton Martin (Somerset) and had issue a daughter, Jane Symes (c.1733-99) (q.v.); died in 1778; 
(5) Margaret Andrewes (b. 1708), baptised 23 October 1708; married Capt. Dallway (d. by 1747) of Carrickfergus, and had issue a daughter, Margaret Dallway (d. 1827), who inherited a share in the Lathbury estate;
(6) Sophia Andrewes (1710-16), baptised 8 October 1710; died young and was buried at Lathbury, 2 May 1716.
He inherited the Lathbury Place estate from his uncle in 1696. At his death without male issue the estate passed to his eldest daughter and her husband.
He was buried 26 May 1744 and his will was proved the following day. His wife apparently predeceased him but her date of death is unknown.

Andrewes, Elizabeth (1700-64). Eldest daughter of Henry Andrewes (1667-1744) and his wife Jane, daughter of George Cole of London, baptised 26 September 1700.  She is said to have converted to Roman Catholicism (perhaps after the death of her husband) and to have gone to live in Rome.  She married Richard Uthwatt (1699-1749) of Rickmansworth (Herts), brother of Thomas Uthwatt of Great Linford Manor (Bucks).  They had issue:
(1) Elizabeth Uthwatt (b. 1726), baptised 22 December 1726; married [forename unknown] Sherwood, a Roman Catholic surgeon in London; moved to Rome with her mother;
(2) Henry Uthwatt (1728-57) (q.v.).
She inherited the Lathbury Place estate from her father in 1744, and settled it on her son in 1753. At his death in 1757 the estate reverted to her, and on her death she bequeathed it to her niece, Jane Symes.
She was buried at Lathbury, 7 April 1764. Her husband died in 1749.

Symes, Jane (c.1733-99). Only child of William Symes and his wife Jane, daughter of Henry Andrewes of Lathbury Place, born about 1733.  She was unmarried and without issue.
She inherited the Lathbury Place estate from her aunt, Elizabeth Uthwatt (1700-64).  At her death she bequeathed it partly to her cousin, Margaret Dallwey, and partly to her friend, Mansel Dawkins Mansel (d. 1822).
She died 30 April 1799 and was buried at Lathbury, 2 May 1799; her will was proved 22 May 1799.

Andrewes, Thomas (1676-1732), of London.  Youngest son of Edward Andrewes (d. 1690) and his wife Ann, daughter of Thomas Grove of Buckingham and widow of John Hart, born 1676. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Charles Gurney and had issue:
(1) William Andrews (1720-60) (q.v.).
He died in November 1732.

Andrewes, William (1720-60), of Buckingham and Inner Temple. Only recorded child of Thomas Andrewes (1676-1732) and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Charles Gurney, born 1720. Educated at the Inner Temple (admitted 1732; called to bar, 1748); barrister-at-law. He married, 29 November 1750 at St Mary, Newington (Surrey), Hannah (d. 1802), daughter of [forename unknown] Shellingford of Water Stratford (Bucks), farmer, and had issue:
(1) Temple Andrewes (b. 1754), born 14 March and baptised 11 April 1754; died unmarried before 1802;
(2) Henry Uthwatt Andrewes (later Uthwatt) (1755-1812) (q.v.);
(3) Frances Andrewes (1756-1810), baptised 9 February 1756; died unmarried about April 1810;
(4) Charlotte Andrewes (1758-1835); married, 22 August 1783 at St. Andrew Holborn, London, William Bryant, solicitor and antiquarian (who became an insolvent debtor and bankrupt, and d. 1844 in the Queen's Prison, Southwark) and had issue two sons (including the mapmaker, (William) Andrewes Bryant) and three daughters; died at Peckham, 22 July 1835 and was buried at Cudham (Kent).
He died in September 1760; his will was proved 2 October 1760. His widow was living in Buckingham in 1764; she married 2nd, 28 July 1765 at St Dunstan-in-the-West, London, Benjamin Thomas of Buckingham and Middleton-on-the-Hill (Herefs), Marshal of the Marshalsea Prison, and had further issue a daughter (Henrietta Thomas, who married, 1793, Rev. James Long Hutton). She died 7 December 1802; her will was proved 23 December 1802.

Uthwatt (sometimes Andrewes-Uthwatt) family of Great Linford Manor

Pritchard alias Prichard, Sir William (c.1632-1705) of Great Linford Manor. Second son of Francis Prichard of Southwark, rope maker, and his wife Mary, daughter of Edward Eggleston, born about 1632. Apprenticed to a Southwark merchant taylor, 1647 and made free of the Merchant Taylors Company in London, 1655 (Master, 1673-74); he also continued his father's business at Eltham (Kent) and was a supplier of rope to the Ordnance office, from which he made a fortune in the 1660s; alderman of Common Council from 1672; sheriff of London, 1672; knighted, 1672; Lord Mayor of London, 1682, his election being hailed as a great victory for the Court party; MP for City of London, 1685-88, 1690-95, 1702-05. He served as a London assessment commissioner in 1673–80 and 1689–90, a London militia colonel in 1676–87, 1690–94, and 1702–5, a London lieutenancy commissioner in 1677–87, 1688–94, and 1702–5, as president of the Honourable Artillery Company in 1681–90 and 1703–5, and as president of St Bartholomew's Hospital, 1688-1705; he was one of the founding members of the Society for the Propogation of the Gospel and a governor of Highgate School, 1689-1705. He married, about 1669, Sarah, daughter of Francis Cook of Kingsthorpe (Northants) and had issue three sons and one daughter, who all predeceased him.
He acquired the manor house of Tower Place, Woolwich and sold it to the Crown in 1671. He purchased the Great Linford estate in 1683 for £19,500, and built a new house there in 1688-89. He also owned Lauderdale House, Highgate. At his death with surviving male heirs, his estates passed to his nephews, Richard Uthwatt (d. 1719) and Daniel King.
He died in London, 20 February 1704/5 and was buried at Great Linford, 1 March 1704/5; his will was proved 17 April 1705. His widow was buried at Great Linford, 6 May 1718. By their wills they founded and further endowed a school and almshouse at Great Linford.

Uthwatt, Richard (c.1658-1719). Son of John Uthwatt (d. 1692) of Deptford, and nephew of Sir William Pritchard, born 19 February and baptised 3 March 1658. He married Martha [surname unknown] (d. 1724) and had issue:
(1) John Uthwatt (c.1689-1712); died unmarried and without issue; buried 10 July 1712;
(2) Thomas Uthwatt (d. 1754) (q.v.);
(3) Richard Uthwatt (1699-1749) (q.v.).
He inherited a joint share in the Great Linford estate and Lauderdale House, Highgate from his uncle, Sir William Pritchard in 1705, and bought out his co-legatee.
He was buried at Great Linford, 12 December 1719.  His widow was buried in the same place, 23 May 1724.

Uthwatt, Thomas (d. 1754). Second son of Richard Uthwatt and his wife, born about 1690. High Sheriff of Buckinghamshire, 1726. Described as "a polite and accomplished gentleman" who had travelled through France and Italy as a young man; like his brother he enjoyed some reputation as an antiquarian. He married Catherine Dalton and had issue:
(1) Richard Uthwatt (d. 1720), died in infancy and was buried 15 October 1720;
(2) Catherine Uthwatt; married Matthew Knapp of Little Linford.
He inherited the Great Linford estate from his father in 1719.
He committed suicide by cutting his throat and was buried, 8 August 1754.

Uthwatt, Richard (1699-1749) of Rickmansworth.  Third son of Richard Uthwatt and his wife, born 1699. A writer on heraldry, horticulture and literary matters.  He married 1st, 22 June 1722, Mary (d. 1724), daughter of George Duncombe and widow of John Butler and 2nd, about 1725, Elizabeth (1700-64), daughter of Henry Andrewes of Lathbury (q.v.), and had issue:
(2.1) Elizabeth Uthwatt (b. 1726), baptised 22 December 1726; married [forename unknown] Sherwood, a Roman Catholic surgeon in London; moved to Rome with her mother;
(2.2) Henry Uthwatt (1728-57) (q.v.).
He died in 1749.  His first wife was buried at Shalford (Surrey), 4 March 1724; his widow was buried at Lathbury, 7 April 1764. 

Uthwatt, Henry (1728-57). Only son of Richard Uthwatt of Rickmansworth (Herts) and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Henry Andrewes (d. 1744) of Lathbury Place, baptised 20 July 1728. Sheriff of Buckinghamshire, 1757. He married, 12 June 1750 at Maids Moreton (Bucks), Frances (1728-1800), only daughter of Sir John Chester of Chicheley, but had no issue.
The Lathbury Place estate was settled on him by his mother in 1753, and he inherited a moiety of Great Linford Manor from his uncle in 1754. At his death the Linford estate passed to his wife for life and then to his cousin and godson, Henry Uthwatt Andrewes (1755-1812), while the Lathbury estate reverted to his mother.
He was buried at Lathbury 31 December 1757, where he is commemorated by a monument designed by Benjamin Palmer; his will was proved in the PCC, 7 January 1758. His widow was buried at Lathbury, 2 December 1800.

Andrewes (later Uthwatt), Henry Uthwatt (1755-1812). Second but only surviving son of William Andrewes (1720-60) and his wife Hannah Shellingford, born 18 August 1755. Educated at Westminster School and Trinity College, Cambridge (admitted 1773; BA 1777). Ordained priest, 1789. Master of Blakesley (Northants) Grammar School, 1785; curate of Plumpton (Northants), 1789-1800. He changed his name to Uthwatt, 18 March 1803, as a condition of inheriting the Great Linford estate. He married, 10 March 1783, Judith (d. 1822), daughter of Thomas Yates of Culworth (Northants) and had issue:
(1) Henry Andrewes (later Uthwatt) (1787-1855); partner with his father in Uthwatt & Andrewes, bankers, of Great Linford; sheriff of Buckinghamshire, 1831; Col. of the Buckinghamshire militia; died unmarried, 29 December 1855;
(2) Rev.William Andrewes (later Uthwatt) (1793-1879), born 26 August 1793; educated at St John's College, Cambridge (matriculated 1812; BA 1816; MA 1819); ordained deacon, 1816 and priest, 1819; chaplain to Duke of Buckingham and rector of Lillingstone Dayrell (Bucks), 1832-48 and Maids Moreton, 1848-78; vicar of Stowe (Bucks), 1833-76; married, 1832, Mary (d. 1885), daughter of Rev. James Long Long of Thorpenstie Hall (Westmld), rector of Maids Moreton, and had issue one daughter (Mary Henrietta Turner Hutton Andrewes Andrewes Uthwatt (d. 1916) of Maids Moreton Manor); died 20 September 1879;
(3) George Andrewes (b. 1795); died unmarried at sea;
(4) Augustus Thomas Andrewes (later Uthwatt) (1798-1885); solicitor at Barnet (Middx) until 1835 but thereafter led a reclusive and mysterious life in Cornwall and the Liverpool area until he inherited the estate; he formed a relationship with (and sometimes claimed to have married) a Miss Manning and had two sons and three daughters by her; he died 13 February 1885; following his death there was a legal dispute between his eldest son and his nephew about succession to the estate, which was decided in favour of his nephew on the basis that all his children were in fact illegitimate;
(5) Edolf Andrewes Uthwatt (1805-82) (q.v.); 
(6) Rev. Eusebius Andrewes Uthwatt (1807-91) (q.v.);
(7) Juliet or Judith Andrewes (fl. 1812); married 1st, before 1812, [forename unknown] Robins and 2nd, Eduard, Vicomte de Langle of Callac de Bretagne;
(8) Mary Andrewes (fl. 1812);
(9) Margaret Dorothea Uthwatt (1801-60), baptised 28 May 1801; died unmarried, 20 November 1860; will proved 8 May 1861 (estate under £1,000).
He inherited the Great Linford estate from his cousin, Henry Uthwatt (d. 1757), on the expiration of the life interest of Frances Uthwatt in 1800.
He died 20 October 1812.  His widow died 7 November 1822.

Uthwatt, Edolf Andrewes (1805-82) of Stroud (Glos). Fourth son of Henry Uthwatt Andrewes (later Uthwatt) and his wife Judith, daughter of Thomas Yates of Culworth (Northants), born 14 August 1805.  He married 1st, Harriet Mabel (d. 1863), daughter of Henry Thornton of Stroud and 2nd, 12 July 1866, Anna Maria, daughter of Rev. Thomas Glascott of Rodborough, and had issue:
(2.1) William Francis Edolph Andrewes Uthwatt (1870-1921) (q.v.);
(2.2) Gerard Thomas Andrewes Uthwatt (b. 1872), born 30 May 1872; married, 2 June 1905, Gertrude Frederica, daughter of John Augustus Sheil Bouverie of Delapré Abbey (Northants), and had issue a daughter.
He died 28 January 1882.

Uthwatt, William Francis Edolph Andrewes (1870-1921) of Great Linford Manor. Elder son of Edolf Andrewes Uthwatt (1805-82) of Stroud, and his second wife, Anna Maria, daughter of Rev. Thomas Glascott of Rodborough, born 1870. He married, 1898 (div. 1913), Catherine Jane (1872-1965), daughter of John Augustus Sheil Bouverie of Delapré Abbey (Northants), and had issue:
(1) Maj. William Rupert Edolph Andrewes Uthwatt (later Uthwatt-Bouverie) (1899-1954) of Great Linford Manor; educated at Malvern and Royal Military College, Sandhurst; Major in Black Watch; Master of Buckinghamshire Otterhounds from 1924; married Mollie Adams and had issue; died 17 December 1954; will proved 25 March 1955 (estate £63,575);
(2) Amyas Gerard John Andrewes Uthwatt (b. 1900) of Delapré Abbey, born 27 January 1900;
(3) Kathleen Laura Andrewes Uthwatt (b. 1903), born 8 August 1903.
He inherited the Great Linford estate from his uncle in 1885. At his death they passed to his son, who sold the estate before his death in 1954. Major Uthwatt-Bouverie also inherited the Delapré Abbey estate from his aunt, Mary Bouverie in 1943, and sold this in 1944-48.
He died 5 July 1921; his will was proved 10 May 1922 (estate £51,982). His ex-wife married 2nd, 1914, Astley Paston Friend (d. 1944) of Amherst House, East Grinstead (Sussex) and died at Frampton Manor (Glos), 5 February 1965.

Uthwatt, Rev. Eusebius Andrewes (1807-91) of Middleton-on-the-Hill (Herefs) and the White House, Buckingham.  Sixth son of Rev. Henry Uthwatt Andrewes (later Uthwatt) and his wife Judith, daughter of Thomas Yates of Culworth (Northants), born 21 June 1807. Educated at St John's College, Cambridge (matriculated 1826; BA 1830); ordained deacon, 1832 and priest, 1833; rector of Foxcote (Bucks), 1843-86. He married, 25 July 1838, Jane Lucy (d. 1872), daughter of Rev. James Hutton Long of Maids Moreton (Bucks) and Thorpenstie Hall, and had issue:
(1) Thomas Andrewes Uthwatt (1846-1927) (q.v.);
(2) Henry Long Hutton Dawson Andrewes Uthwatt (1840-70), born 2 February 1840; educated at Oxford (BA); died unmarried, January 1870;
(3) Henrietta Ellen Hutton Dawson Uthwatt (d. 1911); married 6 January 1876, Sir Archibald Ava Campbell, 3rd bt. and had issue; died 15 August 1911;
(4) Jane Elizabeth Dawson Uthwatt;
(5) Henrietta Thomas Hutton Andrewes Uthwatt (d. 1910); died unmarried, 8 March 1910.
He inherited property at Middleton-on-the-Hill (Herefs) and Maids Moreton (Bucks) in right of his wife.
He died 26 August 1891.  His wife died 17 August 1872.

Uthwatt, Thomas Andrewes (1846-1927) of Middleton-on-the-Hill (Herefs) and Maids Moreton Manor (Bucks).  Elder son of Rev. Eusebius Andrewes Uthwatt (1807-91) and his wife Jane Lucy, daughter of Rev. James Hutton Long, born 15 August 1846. He married, 18 January 1875, Annie (d. 1928), daughter of William Hazlitt of Dunmow (Donegal) and had issue:
(1) Capt. Eusebius Andrewes Andrewes (1875-1954); served as Lt., 5th bttn, Northumberland Fusiliers and in Northamptonshire yeomanry; died unmarried, 15 March 1954; will proved 30 April 1954 (estate £548);
(2) Thomas Andrewes Uthwatt (1877-1904), born 9 May 1877; died unmarried, 24 December 1904;
(3) Rt. Hon. Sir Augustus Andrewes Uthwatt (1879-1949), Baron Uthwatt of Lathbury, born 25 April 1879; educated at Ballarat College, Trinity College, Melbourne, Balliol College, Oxford (BCL) and Grays Inn (admitted 1901; called to bar 1904; bencher 1927); barrister-at-law in Government service; a judge of Chancery division of the High Court 1941; knighted (KB) 1941; appointed a Lord of Appeal in Ordinary and a life peer, 9 January 1946 and sworn of the Privy Council, 1946; married, 6 August 1927, Mary Baxter, daughter of Rev. Charles Edwin Meeres and widow of [forename unknown] Bonhote, and had one adopted daughter; died 24 April 1949; will proved 5 September 1949 (estate £47,799);
(4) Ven. William Andrewes Uthwatt (1881-1952), born 14 June 1881; educated at Trinity College, Cambridge (BA 1903; MA 1915); ordained deacon, 1904 and priest, 1906; Archdeacon of the Solomon Islands, 1910-15; chaplain to the Forces, 1915-19; vicar of St Luke, Derby, 1920-26, Bottisham (Cambs), 1926-36 and Diddington (Hunts), 1936-47; Archdeacon of Huntingdon, 1943-47; died 23 June 1952; will proved 1 September 1952 (estate £11,701); 
(5) Rev. Henry Andrewes Uthwatt (1883-1932), born 9 June 1883; educated at Cambridge (BA); vicar of Great Linford; married, 1922, Victoria Louise Coghill Hamilton and had issue; died 29 August 1932; will proved 24 October 1932 (estate £3,156);
(6) Louis Andrewes Uthwatt (1885-1936), born 31 October 1885; served in army from 1905 (Lt., 3rd bttn, East Kent Regiment; during WW1 Capt. in Northamptonshire Regiment); married, 14 August 1924, Diana Beatrice Daly (b. 1901); died without issue, 24 September 1936; will proved 28 December 1936 (estate £775).
He lived at Ballarat, Victoria (Australia) in the 1870s and 1880s, but apparently returned to England after inheriting his father's property at Middleton-on-the-Hill and Maids Moreton in 1891.
He died 14 June 1927; his will was proved 6 October and 7 November 1927 (estate £40,027). His widow died 4 November 1928; her will was proved 15 March 1929 (estate £14,696).


Burke's Extinct and Dormant Baronetcies, 1841, p.12; Burke's Landed Gentry, 1924, p. 1797; G. Lipscomb, History and antiquities of the county of Buckingham, vol. 4, 1847, p. 223; Reynolds Newspaper, 15 August 1886, p.1; O. Ratcliff, History and antiquities of the Newport Pagnell hundreds, 1900, pp. 207-15; W. H. Rylands (ed.), The Visitation of the County of Buckingham made in 1634, Harleian Society, 53, 1909, pp. 3-4; VCH Buckinghamshire, vol. 4, 1927, pp. 372-79; Sir N. Pevsner & E. Williamson, The buildings of England: Buckinghamshire, 1994, p. 425; J. Broadway, R. Cust and S. K. Roberts (eds.), A Calendar of the Docquets of Lord Keeper Coventry, 1625-40 (List and Index Society, special series 35, 2004), part 2, p. 362; ODNB entry on Sir William Pritchard; catalogue of the papers of the Andrewes and Uthwatt families at Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies.

Location of archives

Andrewes and Uthwatt families of Lathbury: deeds and family settlements, 1303-1922 [Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies, D-U]

Coat of arms

Andrewes: Argent, on a bend cottised sable, three mullions of the field.
Uthwatt: Argent, on a bend cottised sable, three mullions pierced of the field.

This post was first published 13 September 2014 and was updated 23 April, 31 July and 2 August 2015 and 21 January 2017. I am grateful to Jonathan Pepler for additional information about the family.


  1. Rev. William Andrewes (later Uthwatt).
    Date if priesting is 1819 not 1817 (Clergy of the Church of England Database correcting Venn)

    1. Dear Peter,

      Thank you for your many corrections to my clergy information on posts across the blog. I have incorporated your corrections into each account.

      Nick Kingsley


Please leave a comment if you have any additional information or corrections to offer, or if you are able to help with additional images of the people or buildings in this post.