|Croydon Lodge: the house as shown on the 1st edition 6" OS map, surveyed in 1868. |
No view of the house has yet been traced.
After his marriage in 1796, Bainbridge began to invest his accumulating wealth in property, buying a newly-built house called Croydon Lodge, on the northern outskirts of Croydon (Surrey) in 1802 as a country villa and the Burstow Park estate in Surrey after 1808. He may also have owned or leased property at Portnalls Farm, Coulsdon (Surrey). Against this background, Bainbridge produced a large family of five sons and three daughters. The three daughters all married well, and the eldest two sons, Edward Thomas and Henry Bainbridge became partners in the banking business, which provided them with a good living until it failed in the banking crash of 1866; both men died in reduced circumstances. The third son was commissioned into the army in 1826 but had to be invalided home from India the following year; he inherited the family home at Croydon Lodge on his father's death, but sold it in 1836 and then lived in London until in 1844 he bought Down Hall, a charming but modest villa at Epsom (Surrey), which was sold after his death. The fourth son, John Hugh Bainbridge I (1807-77) was left the Burstow estate in Surrey, and both he and his younger brother, Anthony Fothergill Bainbridge, may also have had cash legacies, since they both bought their way into brewing businesses within a few years of their father's death.
John Hugh Bainbridge I became the partner of William Lane in a brewery in the city of Cork in Ireland at some point in the 1830s. His presence in Cork no doubt explains how he came to meet and in 1839 to marry Jane Anne Westropp, whose family owned an estate in Co. Limerick. With a bride and a business in Ireland, the Surrey property he had inherited from his father no doubt seemed a distant distraction, and he sold it in 1841.
|Bearforest, Mallow (Co. Cork): rented by J.H. Bainbridge from 1842-64.|
Frankfield passed to his eldest and only surviving son, John Hugh Bainbridge II (1845-1901), who was a young naval officer, recently promoted to Commander and acting as the captain of the royal yacht. He kept the house on for a number of years, perhaps largely for the convenience of his unmarried sister, but he had no real use for a house in a remote part of Ireland, and in 1884 he advertised the property to let. No tenant may have been forthcoming then, but he tried again in 1892, and thereafter the property was continually let by the family. He in turn seems to have rented a house called Beechwood near Plympton in Devon and in 1899, the year he was promoted Rear-Admiral, he seems to have moved to the larger Elfordleigh in the same parish, which he may have bought rather than rented.
|Elfordleigh: a recent photograph of the house in use as an hotel. Image: Hellovaview.|
Frankfield House, Co. Cork
|Frankfield House in about 1910.|
Frankfield House was built in the 1830s for Samuel Lane, a partner in Cork's Southgate Brewery, and an important local philanthropist. In 1838 Lane paid for the construction of the Protestant Frankfield Chapel, which was designed by Sir Thomas Deane, and it is possible that the house is also an early work by Deane. The house was consistently let in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, but was unoccupied when it was burned down by armed incendiaries on Saturday 3 February 1923. Press reports noted at the time that the house had been burned to the ground, but photographs show that although it was thoroughly gutted, the internal and external walls still stood and in different circumstances restoration might have been possible. Instead, the ruin was pulled down and a new one- and two-storey house was designed by Chillingworth & Levie of Cork to replace it. Tenders for the building work were invited in 1926. This house was later converted to become a club house for Frankfield Golf Course, and still stands today, although much altered and extended later.
Bainbridge family of Frankfield
(1) Edward Thomas Bainbridge (1798-1872), born 13 December 1798 and baptised at St Andrew, Holborn (Middx), 19 January 1799; partner in the London banking house of Puget, Bainbridges & Co. which foundered in the crash of 1866; in politics he was a moderate reformer, and he was elected as such as MP for Taunton, 1830-42; JP for Somerset; married 1st, c.1835, Mary Anne [surname unknown] and 2nd, c.1838, Emily Sedley (1812-75), daughter of John Futter of Ketteringham (Norfk), and had issue four sons and two daughters; died in reduced circumstances at Brighton, 30 September 1872;
(6) John Hugh Bainbridge (1807-77) (q.v.);
(8) Martha Bainbridge (1811-93), born 12 February 1811 and was baptised at St Andrew, Holborn, 2 June 1830; married, 22 August 1833 at St Marylebone (Middx), Maj-Gen. Henry Darby-Griffiths (1809-87), who commanded the Scots Greys throughout the Crimean War, second son of Maj-Gen. Matthew Chitty Darby-Griffith of Padworth House (Berks); died 27 May 1893.
He bought Croydon Lodge (Surrey) from the executors of Charlotte Matthews, banker, in 1802; at his death this passed to his third son, who sold it in 1836. He also owned Burstow Park (Surrey) and had a house in Bedford Row and later in Queen's Square, London.
|J.H. Bainbridge (1807-77)|
(2) Rebecca Bainbridge (b. c.1841), baptised at Mallow (Co. Cork), 13 January 1842; probably died young;
|Rear-Adm. J.H. Bainbridge|
He also had an illegitimate child by a German lady's maid, Maria Anne Keller (1875-1934):
(X1) Violette Antoinette Keller (1900-73), born at Home of Hope, 4 Regent Sq., London, 2 November 1900; guest house owner; married, 8 March 1926, Henry Samuel Burgess (1901-58) and had issue two daughters; died in Brighton, 17 February 1973; will proved 4 February 1974 (estate £23,809).
(1) Rose Marie Irene Bainbridge (1909-98), born 20 February 1909; married, 1936, Maj. David Everard Crossley Price (1907-94); died 25 March 1998; will proved 2 June 1998.
Burke's Landed Gentry of Ireland, 1912, p. 23; F. O'Dwyer, The architecture of Deane & Woodward, 1997, p. 23; H. Mellor, The country houses of Devon, 2015, pp. 380-81;
Location of archives
No significant accumulation is known to survive.
Coat of arms
None seems to be recorded in association with this family.
Can you help?
Here are a few notes about information and images which would help to improve the account above. If you can help with any of these or with other additions or corrections, please use the contact form in the sidebar to get in touch.
- Can anyone provide an illustration of Croydon Lodge, the villa occupied by Thomas Bainbridge from 1802 until his death? The house had been demolished by 1898 and the site was redeveloped for suburban housing.
- Can anyone supply portraits or photographs of the people whose names are given in bold above?
Revision and acknowledgements
This post was first published 28 March 2018 and was updated 21-25 June 2019. I am most grateful to Paul Frecker for images, additions and corrections.