Sunday, 23 October 2016

(235) Atkinson of Cangort and Ashley Park

Atkinson of Cangort
Anthony Atkinson (d. 1626) was a junior officer in the army who received a grant of lands in Co. Offaly and built a fortified residence known as Cangort Castle. During the Civil War the castle was garrisoned for the king but captured by Cromwellian troops and slighted. Anthony Atkinson (1630-63) recovered the estate at the Restoration and a new house was built adjoining the castle ruins. Information about the family is very sketchy before the time of a third Anthony Atkinson (c.1680-1743), who trained as a barrister and was an MP in the Irish parliament between 1711 and 1714. He married Mary Guy, the daughter of Admiral John Guy, whose chief claim to fame was breaking the boom across the River Foyle to relieve the Siege of Derry. Anthony Atkinson's eldest son having predeceased him, the estate passed on his death to his second son, the Rev. Guy Atkinson (c.1712-1804), who was vicar of Trim (Meath) and later rector of Aghoghill (Antrim). He seems to have lived chiefly in or close to the parishes which he served, and it may be that his eldest son by his first marriage Anthony Atkinson (1748-90) managed the estates until his death. The eldest son of Guy's second marriage, Jackson Wray Atkinson (1766-1846), certainly did so later, and was High Sheriff of Offaly in 1803. 

After many years living on his estates and serving as commander of the county militia, Jackson seems to have moved to France in old age, where in 1841 he took a French woman as his second wife. His son and heir, Guy Atkinson (1800-59) was also on the continent at this time, as his first two children were born in Rome and Geneva, but he had taken over the management of the Cangort estate by 1846, when he was High Sheriff and succeeded his father. He died fairly young, and his heir, Guy Newcomen Atkinson (1847-90) did not come of age until 1868. It was probably soon afterwards that he remodelled Cangort House, perhaps assisted by the accumulating revenues during his minority, which coincided with a brief period of agricultural prosperity in Ireland. At his death in 1890, G.N. Atkinson left an heir who was only eight years old. Perhaps because he was a career soldier and a bachelor, Guy Montague Atkinson (1882-1956) decided to sell the Cangort estate to his uncle, William Henry Atkinson (1848-1930). He left Cangort to his eldest surviving son, Guy Hamilton Atkinson (1881-1932), but Guy died shortly afterwards and it passed to his only son, Anthony Guy Atkinson (1909-85), who had just embarked on a career in the Royal Artillery. In 1957 Major Atkinson sold Cangort House while retaining the majority of the estate. In 1970 he inherited the Loughton House estate at Moneygall (Offaly) from his Trench relatives, but he made this over to his son, Guy Nevill Atkinson (b. 1950). He sold Loughton House in 2001.

Charles Atkinson (c.1720-79), one of the younger sons of Anthony Atkinson (c.1680-1743), seems to have farmed part of the Cangort estate. His eldest son, Anthony Atkinson (1752-1815), moved south and leased South Park, Ballingarry (Tipperary) from the Trench family. His younger son, George Guy Atkinson (1799-1872), bought Ashley Park at Nenagh (Tipperary) in 1824 and probably built the present house soon afterwards. In 1872 it descended to his youngest son, James Netterville Atkinson (1843-93), who in the 1870s owned 2,000 acres in Tipperary and nearly 1,000 acres in Galway. He extended the house in 1883, but died without any sons, so that the house passed to his eldest daughter, Alice Marjorie Atkinson (1882-1919). In 1903 she came of age and married Thomas Bateson Biggs (1878-1945), who took the name Biggs-Atkinson, but they had no children. After she died, Biggs-Atkinson married again, and he left the estate to his second wife, who lived there until 1963. Since they had had no children either, Mrs Biggs-Atkinson left the estate to a niece in South Africa, Zelie Biggs, who rarely visited. The house was not surprisingly in poor condition by the time she sold it in 1983 to Sean Mounsey, who restored it and converted it into an hotel.


Cangort House, Shinrone, Offaly


Cangort Castle, the original residence of the Atkinson family, was destroyed by Cromwellian forces in the 17th century after being garrisoned for the king. The family returned at the Restoration and built a house to the right of the castle, which was later altered several times. One Georgian elevation survives at the rear, with round-headed windows, and is said to conceal two very small rooms which were once part of the castle. 


Cangort House: a Georgian and earlier house remodelled c.1870.
Image: National Inventory of Architectural Heritage
Cangort House: the south elevation of c.1870.
Image: National Inventory of Architectural Heritage
The present house is the result of a Victorian neo-Jacobean remodelling of the 18th century house.  Work is said to have been completed in 1850 but it seems more likely that the stone east and south fronts with their tall gabled elevations and large mullioned and transomed windows were built for Guy Newcomen Atkinson after he came of age in 1868. The east (entrance) front is of three bays and two storeys, with a projecting gabled bay on the left and a gabled porch jammed up against it. The south front, also of three bays, has gables at each end and another doorway, this time with perfectly plain flat door surround, in the middle. There are, on the house, three well-carved heraldic plaques, one on the gable of the entrance front and two on the south front. The other elevations are of ruled-and-lined render. The main house is approached through an elegant entrance gate with lodges, and down a long avenue. Nearby there is a walled garden and at the rear of this is a small ruined single-storey structure with an arched doorway, which may have been a chapel. In the 1870s, the estate amounted to 2,787 acres.

Descent: Anthony Atkinson (d. 1626); to son, William Atkinson (b. 1613); to son, Anthony Atkinson (1630-63); to son, Anthony Atkinson (c.1665-84); to son, Anthony Atkinson (c.1680-1743); to son, Rev. Guy Atkinson (c.1712-1804); to son, Lt-Col. Jackson Wray Atkinson (1766-1846); to son, Guy Atkinson (1800-59); to son, Guy Newcomen Atkinson (1847-90); to son, Guy Montague Atkinson (1882-1956), who sold 1907 to his uncle, William Henry Atkinson (1848-1930); to son, Guy Hamilton Atkinson (1881-1932); to son, Anthony Guy Atkinson (b. 1909), who sold Cangort in 1957.


Loughton House, Moneygall, Offaly


Loughton House

A three-storey house built in 1777 for Major Thomas Pepper on the site of a 17th century house, which was remodelled in 1835 by James Pain. An elegant and restrained late Georgian main front has two wide and shallow three-sided bows of three bays each, with a two-bay centre between them. There is a single-storey wing of two bays on the left. The ground and first floor windows have entablatures on console brackets and the ground-floor windows in the centre of each bay have pediments in addition. 


Inside, the principal rooms have restrained decoration, probably mostly of 1835, and there is a fine curved and cantilevered stone staircase by Pain. The Georgian stables are very handsome.

Descent: Maj. Thomas Pepper (fl. 1777); to son; to nephew by marriage, John Arthur Douglas Bloomfield (1802-79), 2nd Baron Bloomfield; to sister, Georgiana, wife of Henry Trench...Thora and Sheelah Trench; bequeathed 1970 to Maj. Anthony Guy Atkinson (b. 1909), who gave it to his son, Guy Neville Atkinson (b. 1950), who sold 2001 to Dr. (later Senator) James Reilly; for sale, 2016.


Ashley Park, Nenagh, Tipperary


The first house on this fine site on the shores of Lough Ourna is said to have been built in about 1700 for John Head of Waterford, who acquired the estate by marriage. Another John Head (d. 1816) is said to have made improvements to the house, but went bankrupt in the year of his death. His widow lived at Ashley Park until 1824, when it was sold by order of the courts. The purchaser was George Guy Atkinson (1799-1872), who was probably responsible for building the present charming and very pretty two-storey house, which is said to incorporate parts of its predecessor. It has polygonal ends with pyramidal roofs and a central canted bow, and inside there is a dog-leg staircase with two turned balusters per step and a ramped handrail.
Ashley Park: an early photograph of the house



Ashley Park: the house today.
In 1872 the estate passed to John Netterville Atkinson, who added the north wing in 1883 and a Chinoiserie room at about the same time, after a visit to Hong Kong. The character of the house, however, comes most of all from the decorative veranda, which in its present form was added after the marriage of Alice Marjory Atkinson to Thomas Bateson Biggs in 1903, although it may replace an earlier feature. The veranda has a green-painted arcade with the spandrels pierced with quatrefoils, and a fretwork balustrade; there was formerly trellising on the back wall of the veranda which further enhanced the decorative effect. The Biggs-Atkinsons also added a conservatory to the east side of the house and a new drive with a lodge. Since 1983 the house has been restored and it is now operated as an hotel.

Descent: John Head (fl. 1690-1700);...John Head (d. 1816); to widow, who sold 1824 to George Guy Atkinson (1799-1872); to son, John Netterville Atkinson (1843-93); to daughter, Alice Marjory (d. 1919), later wife of Thomas Bateson Biggs (later Biggs-Atkinson) (d. 1945); to his second wife, Bessie Biggs-Atkinson (d. 1963); to niece, Zelie Biggs, resident in South Africa, who sold 1983 to Sean Mounsey.


Atkinson family of Cangort



Atkinson, Anthony (d. 1626). Parentage unknown. A Lieutenant in the Army. He married Mary, daughter of Thomas Bathe and had issue:
(1) William Atkinson (b. 1613) (q.v.);
(2) John Atkinson;
(3) George Atkinson;
(4) Thomas Atkinson;
(5) Mary Atkinson;
(6) Frances Atkinson;
(7) Elizabeth Atkinson (fl. 1650);
(8) Jane Atkinson;
(9) Margaret Atkinson;
(10) Anne Atkinson.
He settled on lands (the island of Kiltober or Kiltobrett (Offaly)) granted by Queen Elizabeth by patent, and built Cangort Castle.
He died 9 October 1626.

Atkinson, William (b. 1613). Eldest son of Anthony Atkinson (d. 1626) and his wife Mary, daughter of Thomas Bathe, born 1613. During the Civil War Cangort Castle was garrisoned for the King and taken and slighted by Parliamentary forces, and he was forced to flee. He married, Anne, daughter of Bartholomew Peisley of Punchestown (Kildare), and had issue:
(1) Anthony Atkinson (1630-63);
(2) A daughter; married Thomas Newcomen.
He inherited the Cangort estate from his father, and acquired an interest in Kilbalymalin (Tipperary) through his marriage. His widow was confirmed in his lands in 1649.
He died before 1649. His widow survived him but her date of death is unknown.

Atkinson, Anthony (1630-63). Only son of William Atkinson (b. 1613) and his wife Anne, daughter of Bartholomew Peisley of Punchestown (Kildare), born 1630, He married, before 1655, Anne (1632-1709), younger daughter of Sir Robert Newcomen, 4th bt. and had issue:
(1) William Atkinson (c.1655-84) (q.v.);
(2) Capt. Newcomen Atkinson (d. c.1691); married [forename unknown] L'Estrange and had issue one son (from whom descended the Atkinsons of Newry and Mill Vale); will proved, 1691;
(3) Charles Atkinson (d. 1686); died unmarried, 1686;
(4) Frances Atkinson (d. 1738); married Thomas L'Estrange (1656-1741), son of Henry L'Estrange of Moystown (Offaly) and had issue four sons and two daughters; died 1738.
He inherited Cangort from his father and recovered the property at the Restoration.
He died in January 1663. His widow married 2nd, 1664, William Tynte (d. 1669) of Cahirmoney (Cork), third son of Sir Robert Tynte of Ballycrenane (Cork), and 3rd, William Digby of Newtown (Offaly); she died in 1709.

Atkinson, William (c.1655-84). Eldest son of Anthony Atkinson (1630-63) and his wife Anne, younger daughter of Sir Robert Newcomen, 4th bt, born about 1655.  He married Anne, granddaughter of Sir Francis Hamilton of Killeshandra (Cavan), and had issue:
(1) Anthony Atkinson (c.1680-1743) (q.v.);
(2) William Atkinson.
He inherited Cangort from his father.
He died in 1684. His widow married 2nd, [forename unknown] Blake and 3rd, Maj. Marcus French of Rahassan; her date of death is unknown.

Atkinson, Anthony (c.1680-1743). Elder son of William Atkinson (c.1655-84) and his wife Anne, born about 1680. Educated at Trinity College, Dublin (admitted 1697), Middle Temple (admitted 1700) and Kings Inn, Dublin (called to bar, 1708). Barrister-at-law. MP in the Irish Parliament for St. Johnstown, 1711-13 and for Belfast, 1713-14. He married, 1709, Mary (d. 1748), daughter of Admiral John Guy of Greenwich (Kent) - who broke the boom across the River Foyle to relieve the siege of Derry in 1690 - and had issue including:
(1) William Atkinson (c.1710-38); educated at Middle Temple (admitted 1732) and Kings Inn, Dublin (called to bar, 1737); barrister-at-law; died in the lifetime of his father, 3 July 1738;
(2) Rev. Guy Atkinson (c.1712-1804) (q.v.);
(3) Anthony Atkinson of Headfield (Offaly); died in the lifetime of his father;
(4) Charles Atkinson (c.1720-80) [for whom see below, under Atkinson family of Ashley Park];
(5) Newcomen Atkinson (d. 1759); a Lieutenant in the army; will proved in Ireland, 1759;
(6) Anne Atkinson; married Francis Sanderson (d. 1746) of Castle Sanderson, Belturbet (Cavan) and had issue two sons and two daughters;
(7) Frances Atkinson (d. 1795); married, 1749 (settlement 30 March), Nathaniel Robbins of Hymenstown (Tipperary) and had issue; died 1795;
(8) Harriet Atkinson (fl. 1749); married, 2 September 1749, Robert Sanderson;
(9) Jane Atkinson (d. 1763); married Rev. Robert Carew Armstrong (1709-90) of Corolanty (Offaly), son of Thomas Armstrong of Moyaliffe; died 23 January 1763;
(10) Catherine Atkinson; married George Fraser of Cuba Court, Banagher (Offaly).
He inherited Cangort from his father in 1684.
He died in December 1743 and his will was proved the same month. His widow's will was proved in 1748.

Atkinson, Rev. Guy (c.1712-1804). Second but oldest surviving son of Anthony Atkinson (c.1680-1743) and his wife Mary, daughter of Admiral John Guy of Greenwich (Kent), born about 1712. Educated at Trinity College, Dublin (admitted 1730; BA 1735; MA 1739; DD 1756). Vicar of Newtown Clonbun, 1748-53, Trim and Rathcore (Meath), 1753-67 and Rector of Aghoghill (Antrim), 1767-95. He married 1st, 14 March 1747 at St Peter, Dublin, Jane (d. 1760?), daughter of Charles Maule and niece of Rt. Rev. Henry Maule, bishop of Meath, and 2nd, 19 March 1762 at St Anne, Dublin, Jane (c.1736-98?), daughter of Jackson Wray of Oak Park (Donegal), and had issue:
(1.1) Anthony Atkinson (1748-90), born 13 February and baptised at St Peter, Dublin, 15 March 1747/8; died without issue in the lifetime of his father, 1790;
(1.2) Hugh Atkinson (d. 1763); died unmarried in India, 1763;
(1.3) Guy Atkinson (d. 1766); an officer in the Royal Navy; died unmarried when he was killed by an explosion on board ship;
(2.1) Anne Atkinson (b. 1764); died young;
(2.2) Lt-Col. Jackson Wray Atkinson (1766-1846) (q.v.);
(2.3) Charles Atkinson (b. 1768), baptised at Shinrone, 7 March 1768; died young;
(2.4) Rev. Charles Atkinson (c.1769-1851); educated at Lisburn and Trinity College, Dublin (admitted 1788; BA 1792); ordained deacon, 1792; rector of Forkhill (Armagh), 1795-1817 and of Creggan, 1817-51; married 1st, 1793, Thomasine, daughter of Rev. Alexander Clotworthy Downing of Leckpatrick (Derry) and had issue four sons and four daughters; married 2nd, 22 June 1832, Jane Letitia (b. 1803), third daughter of Rev. Arthur Ellis, vicar of Ardee, and had further issue one son and four daughters; died 4 March 1851;
(2.5) William Henry Atkinson (b. 1770); died young;
(2.6) George Atkinson (b. 1772); died young;
(2.7) George Atkinson (later Wray) (1773-1852); assumed the name and arms of Wray, 1809; married, 1797, Leonora (d. 1832), daughter of Jackson Wray of Brentford (Antrim) and had issue three sons; died in Dublin, 6 April 1852;
(2.8) Maria Atkinson (d. 1796); married, 1793, George R. Golding; died 1796;
(2.9) Jane Atkinson (b. 1780); died young.
He inherited the Cangort estate from his father in 1743.
He died 24 October 1804, aged about 92; his will was proved in 1804. His first wife may have been the Jane Atkinson whose will was proved in 1760. His second wife died in 1798 (or 30 Dec. 1790).

Atkinson, Lt-Col. Jackson Wray (1766-1846). Eldest son of Rev. Guy Atkinson (c.1712-1804) and his second wife, Jane, daughter of Jackson Wray of Co. Donegal, born at Newry (Down), 1766. Educated at Hertford College, Oxford (matriculated 1792), Middle Temple (admitted 1792) and Kings Inn, Dublin (called to bar, 1795). An officer in the 46th foot (Ensign, 1787) and King's County (Offaly) militia (Lt-Col.); High Sheriff of Offaly, 1803; JP for Offaly; freemason. He married, 1st, 3 November 1794, Sarah, daughter of Richard Caddell of Downpatrick (Down), and 2nd, 24 November 1841 at British Embassy in Paris (France), Virginie Aspasie Penneguin of Dept. du Nord (France), and had issue:
(1.1) Sarah Atkinson (b. c.1795); died unmarried;
(1.2) Maria Atkinson (b. c.1797); died unmarried;
(1.3) Mabella Jane Atkinson (b. c.1799); probably died young;
(1.4) Guy Atkinson (1800-59) (q.v.);
(1.5) Caroline Stewart Atkinson (1803-39); married William L'Estrange (1789-1860) of Kilcummin, Banagher (Offaly) and had issue two sons and four daughters; died from injuries received in the 'Night of the Big Wind', 22 January 1839;
(1.8) Emily Rebecca Atkinson (c.1804-82); died unmarried, 15 December 1882;
(1.6) Henry Wray Atkinson (1806-73) of Frankville, Athboy (Meath), born July 1806; married, 9 April 1839, Elizabeth Jane, daughter of Rev. William Brownlow Savage, rector of Shinrone (Offaly) and had issue five sons and five daughters; died 24 January 1873; administration granted to his son, 22 March 1873 (effects under £1,500);
(1.7) Charles Atkinson (1808-40); an officer in HEICS 10th Native Cavalry; died from a snake bite, 17 June 1840 at Nusseerabad, Bengal (India);
(1.9) Harriet Anne Atkinson (b. c.1809); probably died young;
(1.10) Richard Atkinson (1818-71), of Gortmore, Dundrum (Dublin), born 6 October 1818; educated at Kings Inn, Dublin (admitted 1835); married, 14 October 1840 at Caledon (Tyrone), Mary Jane Elizabeth (d. 1886), daughter of Capt. George R. Golding of Lime Park, Caledon, and had issue three sons and six daughters; died 18 July 1871.
He inherited the Cangort estate from his father in 1804.
He died at Neuilly-sur-Seine (France), 14 August 1846. His first wife's date of death is unknown. His widow's date of death is unknown.

Atkinson, Guy (1800-59). Eldest son of Lt-Col. Jackson Wray Atkinson (1766-1846) and his wife Sarah, daughter of Richard Caddell of Downpatrick (Down), born 14 July and baptised at Shinrone, 3 August 1800. Educated at Trinity College, Dublin (admitted 1818; BA 1823). JP for Offaly; High Sheriff of Offaly, 1846; freemason. He married, 24 October 1839 at Shinrone, Anne Margaret (1810-79), second daughter of William Trench of Cangort Park (Offaly) and had issue:
(1) Charles Newcomen Atkinson (1840-41), born probably in December 1840 and baptised in Rome, January 1841; died in infancy in Rome, 11 January 1841;
(2) Sarah Harriet Atkinson (1842-1935), baptised at British chaplaincy in Geneva (Switzerland), 26 June 1842; married, 11 May 1865 at Shinrone, George Arthur Waller JP (1835-1923) of Prior Park, Borrisokane (Tipperary) and Luska, Nenagh (Tipperary) and had issue ten sons and one daughter; died 11 January 1935 aged 92;
(3) Emily Atkinson (1843-1928), baptised at Shinrone, 31 December 1843; married, 4 October 1865 at Shinrone, George Adolphus Western (1838-1929) of Beckenham (Kent), solicitor, second son of Edward Western of London, and had issue three sons and seven daughters; died 21 March 1928;
(4) Caroline Sophia Atkinson (1845-1943), born 3 June 1845; married, 14 December 1869 at St Bartholomew, Dublin, Lt-Col. James Halifax Western CMG (1842-1917) of Halifax Lodge, Hurstpierpoint (Sussex) and had issue; died 8 January 1943, aged 97, and was buried at Hurstpierpoint; will proved 21 April 1943 (estate £13,661).
(5) Lt-Col. Guy Newcomen Atkinson (1847-90) (q.v.);
(6) William Henry Atkinson (1848-1930) (q.v.);
(7) Maj. Richard Frederick Atkinson (1849-86), born 11 December 1849 and baptised at Shinrone, 6 January 1850; educated at the Royal Military Academy; an officer in the 67th Regiment (Ensign, 1869; Lt., 1871; Capt. 1880, Maj., 1886); served in Afghan War, 1878-80 and died unmarried when he was killed in action at Salin Myo (Burma), 31 August 1886; will proved in London, 1 February 1887 (effects £4,867) and resealed in Dublin, 1 March 1887 (effects in Ireland £1,577).
He inherited the Cangort estate from his father in 1846.
He died at Cangort, 28 November 1859 and his will was proved in Dublin in 1860. His widow died 12 July 1879.

Atkinson, Lt-Col. Guy Newcomen (1847-90). Second, but eldest surviving son, of Guy Atkinson (1800-59) and his wife Anne Margaret, second daughter of William Trench of Cangort Park (Offaly), born 4 January 1847. Educated at Royal Military Academy. An officer of Shropshire Light Infantry (Ensign, 1865; Lt., 1867; Capt., 1875; Major, 1882; Lt-Col., 1886); Adjutant of Shropshire Rifle Brigade, 1882-86. JP for Offaly. He married, 19 July 1877 at Leamington (Warks), Frances Elizabeth (c.1846-1929), elder daughter of Hon. Lawrence Harman King-Harman of Rockingham House (Roscommon) and Newcastle (Longford), and had issue:
(1) Guy Edward Atkinson (1878-79), born in India, 9 December 1878 and baptised at Lucknow (India), 2 February 1878; died in infancy, 24 May 1879;
(2) Helen Mary Atkinson (1880-1973), born 30 September and baptised at Littlemore (Oxon), 12 December 1880; married, 5 September 1908 at St Ethelburga, Bishopsgate, London, Brig-Gen. Robert William Hare CMG DSO DL (1872-1953), only son of Robert Dillon Hare JP of Ballymore, Queenstown (Cork) and had issue one son and two daughters; died in Norwich Jan-Mar 1973, aged 92;
(3) Lt-Col. Guy Montague Atkinson (1882-1956) (q.v.);
(4) Maj. Gerald Newcomen Atkinson (1884-1962), born 10 March 1884; educated at Charterhouse and Royal Military College, Sandhurst; an officer in the Somerset Light Infantry (2nd Lt., 1904; Lt., 1908; Capt., 1915; Maj. by 1920) who served in First World War; married, 1 March 1923 in Bombay (India), Grace Phoebe (1890-1986), daughter of Alfred James Davies of Heaton Moor, Stockport (Lancs); lived in North Devon; died 24 July 1962; will proved 4 September 1962 (estate £21,436).
He inherited the Cangort estate from his father in 1859 and came of age in 1868. He was probably responsible for a substantial remodelling c.1870.
He died at Kilkenny, where he was in command of the garrison, 10 February 1890, and was buried at Shinrone; his will was proved in London, 21 July 1890 (effects £6,613) and sealed in Dublin, 18 November 1890 (effects in Ireland £1,961). His widow died 29 March 1929; administration of her goods was granted to her elder son, 16 December 1929 (estate £7,518).

Atkinson, Lt-Col. Guy Montague (1882-1956). Second, but eldest surviving, son of Lt-Col. Guy Newcomen Atkinson (1847-90) and his wife Frances Elizabeth, elder daughter of Hon. Lawrence Harman King-Harman of Rockingham House (Roscommon) and Newcastle (Longford), born at Shrewsbury (Shropshire), 30 March 1882. Educated at Charterhouse and Royal Military College, Sandhurst. An officer in Kings Royal Rifle Corps, 1902-22 (2nd Lt., 1902; Lt., 1906; Capt., 1914; Major, 1916); he served in South African War and First World War (wounded, 1915; DSO 1916); served as Lt-Col. commanding Wiltshire Home Guard in Second World War. JP for Wiltshire, 1937. He married, 7 January 1920, Hon. Bertha Beatrice (1884-1961), fifth daughter of Lt-Col. George Best, 5th Baron Wynford, but had no issue.
He inherited the Cangort estate from his father in 1890 and came of age in 1903. He sold the estate to his uncle, William Henry Atkinson, in 1907. He lived latterly at Penleigh House, Westbury (Wilts).
He died 1 May 1956; his will was proved 18 September 1956 (estate £31,012). His widow died 10 June 1961; her will was proved 21 November 1961 (estate £31,225).

Atkinson, William Henry (1848-1930). Third son of Guy Atkinson (1800-59) and his wife Anne Margaret, second daughter of William Trench of Cangort Park (Offaly), born 28 August and baptised at Shinrone, 8 October 1848. He married, 20 November 1877 at St Peter, Dublin, Anna (c.1848-1917), second daughter of Lewis Moore of Cremorgan, Timahoe (Leix) and had issue:
(1) Ella Mary Emily Atkinson (1878-1922), born 3 September 1878; died unmarried, 7 April 1922; administration of goods granted to her father (effects in England, £668);
(2) Henry Richard Atkinson (1880-1905), born 17 March 1880; died unmarried, 26 December 1905; administration of his goods granted to his father, 21 March 1906 (effects £1,076);
(3) Guy Hamilton Atkinson (1881-1932) (q.v.);
(4) Geraldine Anna Atkinson (c.1884-1950); married, 18 April 1906, James Wallace (1876-1961), barrister-at-law, of Cangort Park (Offaly) and had issue one daughter; died 5 January 1950; administration of goods granted to her daughter, 2 May 1950 in Dublin and 23 June 1950 in London (effects in Ireland, £599 and in England, £640).
He purchased the Cangort House estate from his nephew in 1907.
He died 7 May 1930; his will was proved in London, 12 August 1930 (effects in England £3,310). His wife died 17 June 1917; administration of her goods was granted 8 September 1917 (effects £154).

Atkinson, Guy Hamilton (1881-1932). Only surviving son of William Henry Atkinson (1848-1930) and his wife Anna, second daughter of Lewis Moore of Cremorgan, Timahoe (Leix), born 20 April 1881. Educated at Monckton Combe School, Bath (Somerset). He married, 18 February 1909, Sybilla Gertrude (1884-1962), only daughter of Canon Richard Philip Homan of Lockeen Glebe, Birr (Offaly) and had issue:
(1) Anthony Guy Atkinson (1909-85) (q.v.);
(2) Sylvia Geraldine Atkinson (1919-91), born 29 May 1919; married, 19 March 1947, Col. David Peter Davidson OBE (d. 1986) of West Haddon (Northants), only son of David Peter Davidson of Dundee; died 5 November 1991; administration of her goods with will annexed granted 12 February 1992 (estate under £125,000).
He inherited the Cangort House estate from his father in 1930.
He died 23 February 1932; his will was proved at Mullingar, 24 October 1932 and in London, 7 May 1932 (estate in Ireland, £8,465 and in England £5,972). His widow died 30 January 1962; her will was proved 7 December 1962 (estate in England, £3,594).

Atkinson, Maj. Anthony Guy (1909-85). Only son of Guy Hamilton Atkinson (1881-1932) and his wife Sybilla Gertrude, only daughter of Canon Richard Philip Homan of Lockeen Glebe, Birr (Offaly), born 10 December 1909. Educated at St. Columba's and Royal Military Academy, Woolwich. An officer in the Royal Artillery, 1929-52 (2nd Lt., 1929; Maj.; retired 1952); served in Second World War in Hong Kong and was a prisoner of war, 1941-45. He married, 16 October 1937, Anne Elizabeth (b. c.1915), eldest daughter of Rev. Nevill Lascelles-Ward of Largo, Florida (USA), and had issue:
(1) Mary Catherine Charlotte Atkinson  (b. 1938), born 11 November 1938; married, 10 April 1964, Maj. Thomas Michael Hawksworth Smyth (1933-2004) of Ballyvona House, Killinick, Rosslare (Wexford), only son of Maj. Thomas Reginald Hawksworth Smyth of Cedar Hill, Roscrea (Tipperary) and had issue one son and three daughters; living in 1976;
(2) Antonia Sybilla Atkinson (b. 1948), born 26 July 1948; married, 13 February 1971, Capt. Andrew William Orr MB BS MRCS LRCP (b. 1946), of Royal Army Medical Corps, only son of Lt-Col. Harold Arthur Orr of Poole (Dorset) and had issue one daughter; living in 1976.
(3) Guy Nevill Atkinson (b. 1950) (q.v.);
He inherited the Cangort House estate from his father in 1932, but sold the house in 1957. He inherited Loughton House, Moneygall (Offaly) from the Trench family in 1970 but made it over to his son.
He died 15 March 1985; his will was proved in London, 11 October 1985 (estate in England & Wales, £19,256). His wife was living in 1976.

Atkinson, Guy Nevill (b. 1950). Only son of Maj. Anthony Guy Atkinson (1909-85) and his wife Anne Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Rev. Nevill Lascelles-Ward of Largo, Florida (USA), born 29 November 1950. Educated at St. Columba's and Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst. An officer in Queen's Royal Irish Hussars (2nd Lt., 1971). He married, 20 April 1974, Mary Grace, younger daughter of Dr. Norman Cunningham Porter of The Lodge, Naburn (Yorks NR).
He was given Loughton House, Moneygall and the Cangort estate by his father in 1970, but sold the former in 2000.
He was living in 2016.

Atkinson family of Ashley Park

Atkinson, Charles (c.1720-79). Younger son of Anthony Atkinson (c.1680-1743) of Cangort [see above] and his wife Mary, daughter of Admiral John Guy of Greenwich (Kent), born about 1730. He married Mary, daughter of James Sanderson alias Saunderson of Clover Hill (Cavan), MP for Enniskillen, and had issue:
(1) Anthony Atkinson (1752-1815) (q.v.);
(2) Mary Atkinson (b. 1753), baptised at Shinrone, 19 October 1753;
(3) James Atkinson (b. 1755), baptised at Shinrone, 8 January 1755;
(4) Anne Atkinson (b. 1756), baptised at Shinrone, 6 March 1756;
(5) Jane Atkinson (b. 1757), baptised at Shinrone, 25 April 1757;
(6) Guy Atkinson (b. 1758), baptised at Shinrone, 22 November 1758;
(7) Catherine Atkinson (b. 1760), baptised at Shinrone, 9 April 1760;
(8) William Atkinson (b. 1761), baptised at Shinrone, 1 March 1761;
(9) Henrietta Atkinson (b. 1764), baptised at Shinrone, 25 March 1764;
(10) Charles Atkinson (b. 1767?), baptised at Shinrone, 7 March 1767?;
(11) Thomas Atkinson (b. 1768), baptised at Shinrone, 12 October 1768;
(12) Newcomen Atkinson (b. 1770), baptised at Shinrone, 26 April 1770.
He died before November 1779; his will was proved in 1780. His wife's date of death is unknown.

Atkinson, Anthony (1752-1815). Only recorded son of Charles Atkinson and his wife Mary, daughter of Robert Saunderson of Clover Hill (Cavan), born 21 June 1752. He married, c.1788, Catherine (d. 1838), daughter of Dominick Blake of Castlegrove (Galway) and had issue:
(1) Charles Atkinson (c.1790-c.1852) of South Park, born about 1790; educated at Killaloe School and Trinity College, Dublin (admitted 1809; BA 1814; LLD 1828); JP for Co. Tipperary; married and had issue; died about 1852;
(2) James Atkinson (d. 1820); died unmarried at Redwood (Tipperary), 6 April 1820; his will was proved in 1820, and administration of his remaining goods was granted to his brother, 3 February 1871;
(3) George Guy Atkinson (1799-1872) (q.v.);
(4) Charlotte Atkinson (d. 1819); died unmarried at Birr, May 1819.
He leased South Park, Ballingarry (Tipperary) from the Trench family between 1786 and 1810 and the lease passed to his son Charles. His widow lived subsequently at Birr (Offaly).
He died in 1815 and his will was proved the same year. His widow died in 1838 and her will was proved in the same year.

Atkinson, George Guy (1799-1872). Third son of Anthony Atkinson (1752-1815) and his wife Catherine, daughter of Dominick Blake of Castlegrove (Galway), born 1799. JP and DL for Co. Tipperary. He married Bridget (c.1819-93), daughter of P. Murphy of Rahone (Tipperary) and had issue:
(1) John Atkinson (1837-1901) of Derryharan (aka Derryholmes), Banagher (Offaly), baptised at Nenagh Catholic Church (although he later gave his religion as Church of Ireland), 28 June 1837; farmer; married 1st, 8 April 1874 at St Peter, Dublin, Anna, daughter of Rev. John Cotton Walker, rector of Ballinasloe, and had issue one son and two daughters; married 2nd, 2 June 1894 at St Peter, Dublin, Ethel Maud (c.1866-1938), daughter of Richard Beasley of Old Grange (Kildare); died 6 September 1901; will proved November 1901 (effects £14,204);
(2) George Atkinson (1840-80), born 11 October 1840; educated at Mr. Weir's Collegiate School, Birr, and Trinity College, Dublin (admitted 1859; BA and MB 1863; M. Chir., 1863). An officer in the Army Medical Dept., 1864-80 (Surgeon-Major, 1876); died unmarried from pneumonia contracted as a result of exposure during the cold nights of the Afghan campaign, about 30 April 1880; will proved 1 July 1880;
(3) James Netterville Atkinson (1843-93) (q.v.).
He purchased Ashley Park, Nenagh (Tipperary) in 1824.
He died 30 July 1872; his will was proved 13 August 1872 (effects under £35,000). His widow died 14 January 1893, aged 74; her will was proved 7 February 1893 (effects £10,232).

Atkinson, James Netterville (1843-93). Third son of George Guy Atkinson (1799-1872) and his wife Bridget, daughter of P. Murphy of Rahone (Tipperary), born 1 March 1843. Educated at Trinity College, Dublin (admitted 1859; BA 1863). JP for Co. Tipperary and High Sheriff of Co. Tipperary, 1892. His travels took him to the Far East, where he visited Hong Kong before 1883. He married, 30 September 1875, Margaret Teresa (c.1845-1925), daughter of William Bleasby Smithwick of Youghal House, Nenagh (Tipperary) and had issue:
(1) Alice Marjory Atkinson (1882-1919) (q.v.);
(2) Kathleen Anna Atkinson (1885-1967), born 2 October 1885; died unmarried at Nenagh, 13 June 1966; will proved 4 September 1967;
(3) Gustava Mary Atkinson (1888-1959); born 2 July 1888; died unmarried, 1 November 1959 and was buried at Mount Jerome Cemetery, Dublin.
He inherited Ashley Park from his father in 1872 and extended the house in 1883. In the 1870s he owned over 2,000 acres in Tipperary and 961 acres in Co. Galway. At his death his estate passed to his eldest daughter.
He died 22 May 1893; his will was proved in Dublin, 6 July 1893 (effects £58,271). His widow died 19 August 1925; her will was proved 5 December 1925 (estate in England, £781).

Atkinson, Alice Marjory (1882-1919). Eldest daughter of James Netterville Atkinson (1843-93) and his wife Margaret Teresa, daughter of William B. Smithwick of Youghal House, Nenagh (Tipperary), born 26 May 1882. She and her husband took the name Biggs-Atkinson by deed poll, 18 November 1903. She married, 9 September 1903, Thomas Bateson Biggs (later Biggs-Atkinson) JP (1878-1945), solicitor, and an officer in Royal Irish Rifles (Capt., 1914), fourth son of Samuel Dickson Biggs of Bellevue (Tipperary), but had no issue.
She inherited the Ashley Park estate from her father in 1893. After her death the estate passed to her husband and following his death to his second wife, who left it to a niece in South Africa.
She died 11 May 1919 and was buried at Kilurane Cemetery, Nenagh; administration of her goods was granted to her husband, 27 January 1920 (effects £522). Her husband married 2nd, 6 December 1923 at West Kirby (Cheshire), Bessie (1874-1963), youngest daughter of Alfred Dyson of Flint (Flints.), and died 5 August 1945; his will was proved in Dublin, 28 January 1946 (estate £18,862) and in Belfast, 22 February 1946 (effects in Northern Ireland £310).


Sources

Burke's Landed Gentry of Ireland, 1912, pp. 16-18; Burke's Irish Family Records, 1976, pp. 39-41; M. Bence-Jones, A guide to Irish country houses, 2nd edn., 1990, pp. 13, 55, 194; D. Lee, James Pain, architect, 2005, p. 230;


Location of archives


Atkinson family of Cangort: deeds and papers, 1639-1856 [National Library of Ireland]; papers, 18th-20th cents [Private Collection (Loughton papers); contact Public Record Office of Northern Ireland]


Coat of arms


Or, an eagle displayed, with two heads, azure, beaked and legged gules; in chief, a rose of the last, seeded gold, between two martlets sable.


Can you help?


Here are a few notes about information and images which would help to improve the account above. If you can help with any of these or with other additions or corrections, please use the contact form in the sidebar to get in touch.
  • Can anyone supply higher definition images of Cangort House?
  • Does anyone know the descent of Cangort House after it was sold by the Atkinsons in 1957?
  • Can anyone provide more detail of the descent of Loughton House from the Peppers to the Atkinsons?
  • Can anyone provide additional or more accurate information from deeds or other sources about the earlier generations of the Atkinson family?


Revision and acknowledgements


This post was first published 23 October 2016 and updated 5 November 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment if you have any additional information or corrections to offer, or if you are able to help with additional images of the people or buildings in this post.