The youngest son of Dr. Adam Askew (1696-1773) was John Askew (1732-94), who received from his father at the time of his marriage a number of estates in Northumberland, centred on Crookham. At some point in the next few years he built a new country house on this property, which he named Pallinsburn. By the early 19th century this had acquired Moorish-influenced finials, which may indeed have been part of the original design, although this seems unlikely. His eldest son and heir, George Adam Askew (1771-1838) continued to add to the estate but had no children, and the estate passed in fairly rapid succession to his brothers, Lt-Gen. Sir Henry Askew (1775-1847), kt., and the lawyer Richard Craster Askew (1778-1851), before passing to the son of yet another brother, Watson Askew (1834-1906), who came of age in 1855 and married the following year. His wife, the Hon. Sarah Robertson, was the daughter of David Robertson, 1st Baron Marjoribanks of Ladykirk in Berwickshire, and in 1889, on the death of her mother, they inherited that estate in addition to Pallinsburn and took the additional surname of Robertson. Ladykirk became their principal home.
Another of the properties which John Askew (1732-94) held was an estate at Berwick-upon-Tweed on the Scottish border, which he left to his widow, Bridget Askew (d. 1823). Either she or her son George Adam Askew built a new house called Castle Hills on this property to function as a dower house to Pallinsburn, and during the 19th century it was used by various members of the family at different times. Watson Askew (1834-1906) inherited it from an uncle in 1868. At his death, Watson left Pallinsburn and Castle Hills to his eldest son, David Hugh Watson Askew (1868-1932), who was a bachelor barrister. He made his home at Castle Hills and sold Pallinsburn in 1912. Ladykirk belonged to the Hon. Sarah Askew until she died in 1929, when it was left to her second son, William Haggerston Askew (1868-1942), who also took the name Askew-Robertson. He had made a career as a stockbroker in London, but in 1922 he and his partners disbanded their firm and distribute its reserves among the employees. In 1932 he inherited Castle Hills from his brother and moved there, making over Ladykirk to his only son, Major John Marjoribanks Eskdale Askew (1908-96), who sadly demolished the Georgian house and replaced it with a much smaller one, built in the former walled garden, in 1965-66. When he inherited Castle Hills during the Second World War he leased it to a local charity as a maternity home, a purpose it served until 1984, when it was sold. The Ladykirk estate passed to his son, Henry John Askew (b. 1940), who is the present owner.
Redheugh House, Gateshead, Co. Durham
|Redheugh House: an engraving of 1829 shows the house when it was leased to William Cuthbert.|
The Redheugh estate was held of the Bishop of Durham from the 13th century by the Redheugh family. It passed to the Whites, then to the Liddells in 1619 and in 1748 it was bought by Adam Askew for his son Henry.
|Redheugh House as shown on the OS 6" map surveyed in 1856.|
Redheugh was one of several large landed properties in Gateshead which survived as gentlemen's residences surrounded by gardens and agricultural land until the development of industry and housing in the area in the mid-19th century. The house was let from the 1820s but the estate remained in the Askews' hands until it was gradually broken up by sales for building development from the 1870s onwards.
|Redheugh Hall in 1900, when it was slipping into dereliction.|
The house stood empty in the late 19th century and gradually became derelict. In 1912 it was being used as a storehouse, with hay held in the 18th century drawing room. Then it was sold to the Redheugh Colliery Company. A fire in 1920 left the Hall roofless. The ruins were demolished in 1936 by the International Voluntary Service for Peace.
Descent: sold 1748 to Adam Askew MD (1696- 1773); to son, Henry Askew (1730-96); to nephew, Adam Askew (1757-1844), who leased the house before 1829 to William Cuthbert, a Newcastle glassmaker; to brother, Rev. Henry Askew (1767-1852); to son, Henry William Askew (1808-90), who dispersed the estate while retaining the mineral rights; sold to Redheugh Colliery Company; burned 1920 and demolished 1936.
Glenridding House, Cumberland
|The head of Ullswater, with Glenridding House in the foreground, by Thomas Sunderland, c.1820|
|Glenridding House, c.1900|
A house on the shores of Ullswater in the Lake District, built between 1807 and 1814 for Rev. Henry Askew, rector of Greystoke. It is a square two-storey villa, now painted pink, with a low pyramidal roof, three broadly spaced floor-length windows on each floor on each side and two canted bays facing the lake; the back and side are encircled by a pretty iron trellis veranda and balcony, and a lower service wing is attached to the fourth side. At the back of the service wing there was originally a three-storey tower with a pointy roof which features prominently in an early drawing of the view over the lake from the hillside above the house by Thomas Sunderland and which was still there in 1900, but which has gone now.
|Glenridding House from Lake Ullswater. The two bays on the right represent a modern extension, replacing part of the service range. Image: Glenridding House|
The service wing has indeed been partly rebuilt to provide extra accommodation in the house. In 1834 the house was described as a "chaste and elegant mansion" with walks and pleasure grounds running down to the lake, where Askew kept a sloop for pleasure cruises. When William Henry Askew sold in 1854 it had three reception rooms (including a 40-foot drawing room), eight bedrooms and four dressing rooms, in addition to the service accommodation, and was accompanied by some 35 acres of grounds along the lakeside. Most of the grounds were sold off for further building, so that in 1860 it was sold with five acres and in 1881 with two acres. Following the 1860 sale it became a guest house for tourists visiting the Lake District, and Charles Darwin stayed here among many others. It still offers bed & breakfast accommodation and is also a wedding venue.
Descent: built 1807x1814 for Rev. Henry Askew (1767-1852); to son, Henry William Askew (1808-90), who sold 1854... sold 1860 to Robert Bownass; sold 1881...Mrs. Dalton (fl. 1891-92); sold to Ullswater Hotel...bought c.2000 and restored by the present owners.
Burwood Park, Walton-on-Thames, Surrey
The estate, at one time in the possession of Corpus Christi College, Oxford, was sold by the president and fellows to John Carleton, from whom it was bought by King Henry VIII in 1540. The King ordered it to be made into a deer park for use in association with his palace at Oatlands, but it was later granted away from the Crown. It changed hands frequently in the 16th and 17th century until it was bought in 1720 by John Latton. Nothing is known of the house which he had here, but his arms used to be in a panel of painted glass preserved in the successor building. Latton expanded the estate to some 360 acres and sold it in 1739 to Sir John Frederick, 1st bt.
|Burwood Park: entrance front in 1823. Watercolour by John Hassell. Image: Surrey History Centre 4348/4/30/4|
|Burwood Park: a recent aerial view.|
|Burwood Park: entrance hall, 1955. Image: Old Burwoodian Association|
|Burwood Park: staircase hall in 1955. Image: Old Burwoodian Association|
The Georgian mansion of Burwood Park was converted into a girls' school by 1934, but this closed during the Second World War. In 1955 the school reopened as a Secondary Technical School for deaf boys and girls, and a new sixth form college followed in 1975. The School was sponsored by the Guinness family, but closed in 1996 and in 1999, Octagon Developments were commissioned to re-convert the house into a dwelling and to build seven further individual houses in the grounds.
Pallinsburn House, Ford, Northumberland
|Pallinsburn House: the 18th century house in about 1900, from an old postcard.|
A house that has been much altered over the centuries, and not usually to its advantage. In the later 18th century it had a three-storey three-bay centre with a canted central bay, attached by single-storey links to slightly taller pavilions with Venetian windows. By the early 19th century, every angle and junction of this facade was marked by high, thin, octagonal columns with pagoda tops, like minarets on a mosque. Later in 19th century the single-storey links were raised to three storeys and become the highest elements in the facade.
|Pallinsburn: the south front of the house after the removal of the top floor c.1933, from an old postcard|
In 1912 the house was sold to Charles Mitchell. He remodelled the house in Jacobean style and then, about 1933, removed the top storey and gave the house a flat concrete roof. Of the original appearance of the house all that can now been seen on the south front is some of the original brickwork (some of it said to have come from Flanders), the canted central bay, and the lower half of one of the 'minarets'. The ground-floor window to the right retains the tripartite arrangement of the original Venetian window, but has been made Jacobean like everything else. On the north side, the two projecting wings have kept their 19th century appearance.
|Pallinsburn: the north-facing entrance front in 2007. Image: Jon Whelan. Some rights reserved.|
Inside, Mitchell created some beautiful rooms, especially the dining room, with a barrel-vaulted Tudor-style plaster ceiling of intersecting ribs with reliefs of wild animals. The same room has reused Jacobean panelling with Ionic pilasters and a frieze with strapwork. The Oak Room has reused linenfold panelling and panels with medallion heads. The decoration of the hall, with its screen of Tuscan columns with acanthus necking, may be genuine late 18th century work in situ. There is much similar decoration in the other rooms.
During preparations for the sale of the estate in 2005, the so-called Codex Rootstein-Hopkins by Giovanni Battista da Sangallo, a volume of 44 highly finished, accurately measured architectural drawings in pen and ink depicting sixteen ancient buildings in Rome and the temples of Hercules and Castor and Pollux at Cori, was found in the library. It is the most important evidence of Sangallo's ambitious and celebrated project to document and recreate the threatened monuments of ancient Rome on paper, proposed to Pope Leo X in c.1515-1519. It was first recorded in 1760 by the German scholar of classical antiquity Johann Winckelmann and had belonged to Baron Philipp von Stosch (1691-1757). It is thought to have been acquired by the bibliophile Anthony Askew in the mid 18th century and not to have been sold with his other manuscripts in the 1780s. It remained in the Library when many of the contents of the house were sold with the building in 1912.
The Robertson family acquired the Ladykirk estate in c.1737-39 and nothing is known about the house that then stood on it. It was probably not all that old for Roger Robertson (d. 1782), a noted antiquarian, devoted himself to landscaping the grounds rather than remodelling the house. In 1753, he commissioned a land surveyor to plot out “inclosures” and to find the situation for a new house and avenue. In 1757 and 1758, he met a Mr Robinson, surveyor, who sketched out ideas and plans for a garden, pleasure grounds, a 'Green Walk' and a bowling green with ornamental gate for the front of the house. This was presumably the well known designer Robert Robinson, who was working on a scheme for the nearby Paxton House at about the same time. An intensive period of activity followed, during which there were schemes across the whole estate for planting, trenching, levelling, manuring, liming, gravelling roads and digging sunken ditches; the walled garden was extended in 1758; a new nursery ground was laid out to accommodate nearly 50,000 young trees, hedges and shrubs (1757-60); and plantations were planted across the estate (1761, 1766, 1780). Maps in 1771 and 1779 indicate a house with a designed landscape, including clumps of trees, and circular and oval plantations, the remnants of some of which can still be seen today.
Roger Robertson died in 1782. His son, William Robertson (c.1763-1830) inherited and became renowned for his pursuit of agricultural improvement and excellence. With much of the groundwork complete at Ladykirk, spending was channelled into the building of a new mansion house in 1797-99 by William Elliot of Kelso, who copied the design of the front elevation of William Chambers' Dundas House in Edinburgh, of 1771. It was a seven-by-three bay house of two and a half storeys, with a pedimented three-bay breakfront on the main elevations. The one-and-a-half storey pavilions may also have been built at this time. The house was altered and enlarged by William Burn and David Bryce in 1843-45 for Daniel Robertson: they presumably added the extensions to the wings, one of which included a massive conservatory, the porte-cochere on the entrance front, and the balustraded staircase across the area on the garden side.
|Ladykirk House: the north front as extended by Burn and Bryce in 1843-45.|
|Ladykirk House: south front|
The mansion is said to have been damaged by flooding in the early 20th century and was 'gradually demolished' between the late 1930s and 1966, when it was replaced by the present house, built in the walled garden and designed by J.D. Cairns & Ford in 1965-66 for Major J. Askew. This has Lorimer-style bellcast gables in Dutch colonial style and a long staircase window. Some fittings were reused from the previous house, including the library woodwork.
|Ladykirk House: the house of 1965-66. Image: Cathietinn. Some rights reserved.|
The main survival from the previous mansion is the classical stable block and riding school, designed on a vast scale in 1845 by George Tattersall (d. 1849), a specialist in equestrian architecture, and built at a cost of £11,836 by the mid 1850s. It seems to have been completed after Tattersall's death by H.S. Ridley. The building is a U-shaped complex of two-storey stables with a large rectangular riding school attached to the east. The stables have a thirteen-bay centre with nine-bay projecting wings to the south, ending in open-pedimented gabled facades. The tall archway in the middle of the central block is crowned by a domed octagon with arched openings; the dome house a water tank for the house. The recently restored riding school is equally impressive in both its scale and architectural presence; although it is essentially a large two-storey shed with overhanging eaves, the walls are decorated with blind arches on the ground floor containing glazed fanlights and by circular windows on the first floor. Inside, it has a queen-post roof and a small west gallery.
|Ladykirk House: stables and riding school|
|Ladykirk House: the riding school|
Further survivals from the old house are the Lion Gateway and Porter's Lodge designed by William Elliot in 1799 and based on Adam's entrance screen for Syon House (Middx), even down to the Coade stone Percy lion above the central high arch. This is linked by five-bay colonnades to single-storey hipped-roof lodges, each with a niche on its principal front. The arch has decorative pilasters, and acanthus-leaf capitals which are repeated on the colonnades. The East Lodge is of 1875, with gatepiers and gates moved here c.1990, and the classical North Lodge is a fairly late work by John Dobson of Newcastle, 1850. A new lake was created in the park in the 1990s.
Descent: Roger Robertson (d. 1782); to son, William Robertson (c.1763-1830); to granddaughter, Marianne-Sarah (née Haggeston), wife of David Marjoribanks (later Robertson) (1797-1873), 1st Baron Marjoribanks; to daughter, Sarah (d. 1929), wife of Watson Askew (later Askew-Robertson) (1834-1906); to son, David Hugh Watson Askew (1863-1932); to brother, William Haggerston Askew (later Askew-Robertson) (1868-1942); to son, Maj. John Marjoribanks Eskdale Askew (1908-96); to son, Henry John Askew (b. 1940).
Castle Hills, Berwick-on-Tweed, Northumberland
|Castle Hills House: the main front overlooking the River Tweed.|
|Castle Hills House: the side elevation and the view downriver towards Berwick|
|Castle Hills House: the first floor drawing room|
Descent: John Askew (1732-94); to widow, Bridget Askew (d. 1823), who perhaps built the house c.1810; to son, for George Adam Askew (1771-1838); to brother, Lt-Gen. Sir Henry Askew, kt. (1775-1847); to brother, Hugh Bertram Askew (1783-1868); to nephew, Watson Askew (later Askew-Robertson) (1834-1906); to son, David Hugh Watson Askew (1863-1932); to brother, William Haggerston Askew (later Askew-Robertson) (1868-1942); to son, Maj. John Marjoribanks Eskdale Askew (1908-96) who leased it for use as Berwick-on-Tweed Maternity Hospital, 1943-84...sold 2012.
Askew family of Redheugh House
Askew, Anthony (1670-c.1740), of Kendal and Storrs Hall. Second son of John Askew (1636-86) of Kirkby-in-Furness (Lancs) and his wife Margaret Cosin, baptised at Kendal, 10 July 1670. Doctor of medicine at Kendal (Westmld). JP and DL for Westmorland. He married, 11 September 1694 at Lancaster (Lancs), Anne, only daughter and heiress of Adam Storrs (1629-1702), yeoman, of Storrs Hall (Lancs) and widow of Charles Cawson (d. 1693), and had issue:
(2) Adam Askew (1696-1773) (q.v.);
(3) Anthony Askew (1699-1727) of Wakefield (Yorks WR), baptised 4 July 1699; married, 10 July 1722 at Silkstone (Yorks WR), Dorothea Hopkinson of Wakefield, and had issue one son and two daughters; buried at Wakefield, 20 December 1727.
He inherited Storrs Hall, Arkholme (Lancs) in right of his wife in 1701/2.
|Anthony Askew (1722-74)|
He lived in a house in Queen Square, London, and also had a home at Hampstead (Middx). He inherited Storrs Hall, Arkholme from his father in 1773 and an interest in one of the manors of Midgham (Berks) through his mother in 1778.
Askew, Adam (1757-1844) of Redheugh Hall. Eldest son of Anthony Askew (1722-74) and his second wife Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Holford, born 23 December 1757 and baptised at St Anne, Soho, London, 19 January 1758. Educated at Harrow and Emmanuel College, Cambridge (admitted 1775). High Sheriff of Co. Durham, 1809. He was a regular subscriber to philanthropic causes in London, and donated £100 towards the establishment of Kings College, London. He married 1st, 7 March 1782 at St Marylebone (Middx), Amy Ann (d. 1831), daughter of Robert Cary of London, and 2nd, 20 October 1831 at All Souls, Langham Place, St Marylebone (Middx), Elizabeth (1777-1856), sixth daughter of Rev. Sir Richard Rycroft, 1st bt., but had no issue.
He died 21 November 1844 and was buried at Kensal Green (Middx), although he was commemorated by a mural tablet in Gateshead church (Durham); his will was proved 18 December 1844. His first wife was buried at Great Stanmore (Middx), 11 January 1831. His widow died 13 February 1856; her will was proved 23 February 1856.
Askew, Rev. Henry (1767-1852) of Redheugh Hall. Fourth son of Anthony Askew (1722-74) and his second wife Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Holford, baptised 8 July 1767 at St George the Martyr, Queen Sq., London. Educated at Eton and Emmanuel College, Cambridge (matriculated 1786; BA 1790; MA 1799). Ordained deacon, 1790, and priest, 1794; rector of Greystoke (Cumbld), 1798-1852. While on a visit to Corby Castle (Cumbld), he is said to have seen the famous family ghost, which scared him so much that he left hurriedly the next morning in a state of great agitation, only explaining the reason to his host some time afterwards. He married, 29 July 1799 at Ulverston (Lancs), Anne (1776-1851), youngest daughter of the amateur artist, Col. Thomas Sunderland of Littlecroft, Ulverston, and had issue:
Askew, Henry William (1808-90). Only son of Rev. Henry Askew (d. 1850) and his wife Anne, daughter of Col. Thomas Sunderland of Littlecroft, Ulverston (Lancs), baptised at Greystoke (Cumbld), 13 June 1808. Educated at Harrow and Emanuel College, Cambridge (admitted 1826; BA 1832). JP for Cumberland, Lancashire and Argyllshire. He married, 11 February 1832 at Alnwick (Northbld), Lucy (1811-87), third daughter of Rt. Rev. & Hon. Hugh Percy DD, Bishop of Carlisle, and had issue:
Askew family of Pallinsburn and Ladykirk
Askew, John (1732-94) of Pallinsburn. Fourth son of Adam Askew (1696-1773) of Newcastle-on-Tyne and his wife Anne, daughter of Richard Crackenthorpe of Newbiggen (Westmld), born 23 July 1732. High Sheriff of Northumberland, 1776. He married, 24 September 1770, Bridget (d. 1823), daughter and heir of Thomas Watson of Berwick-on-Tweed and Goswick (Northumbld) and had issue:
Askew, George Adam (1771-1838) of Pallinsburn. Eldest son of John Askew (1732-94) of Pallinsburn and his wife Bridget, daughter of Thomas Watson of Gostwick (Durham), born 19 July and baptised 15 August 1771. JP and DL for Northumberland; High Sheriff of Northumberland, 1800. Captain in the Glendale Gentlemen & Yeomanry Cavalry, c.1800. He married, 19 December 1795 at Gateshead (Durham), his cousin, Anne Elizabeth (1760-1844), daughter of Anthony Askew MD of London, but had no issue.
Askew, Lt-Gen. Sir Henry (1775-1847), kt., of Pallinsburn. Third son of John Askew (1732-94) of Pallinsburn and his wife Bridget, daughter of Thomas Watson of Gostwick (Durham), born 7 May and baptised 15 May 1775. An officer in the Grenadier Guards, 1793-1837 (Ensign, 1793; Lt., 1795; Capt. & Lt-Col., 1807; Col., 1814; Maj-Gen. 1821; Lt-Gen., 1837); he served in the campaigns in Holland and Flanders in 1794-95, in Sicily and the Mediterranean, 1806-07, and at Walcheren, 1809; took part in the Peninsular War in 1812-14; and fought in the Waterloo Campaign, where he was wounded at the Battle of Quatre Bras, 1815. He was appointed CB and later knighted, 25 July 1821. He was unmarried and without issue.
Askew, Richard Craster (1778-1851) of Pallinsburn. Fifth son of John Askew (1732-94) of Pallinsburn and his wife Bridget, daughter of Thomas Watson of Gostwick (Durham), born 5 September and baptised 6 September 1778 at Ford (Northbld). Educated at Inner Temple (admitted 1803; called to bar 1807). Barrister-at-law; Recorder of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. He married, 18 April 1843 at Edlingham (Northbld), Elizabeth (c.1788-1861), daughter of Thomas Davidson, clerk of the peace for Northumberland, but had no issue.
Askew, Capt. Christopher Crackenthorpe (1782-1848). Sixth son of John Askew (1732-94) of Pallinsburn and his wife Bridget, daughter of Thomas Watson of Gostwick (Durham), born 24 May 1782. An officer in the Royal Navy (entered the Navy, 1798; Midshipman, 1799; Lt., 1805; Commander, 1811; retired as Capt., 1822); he was at the Battle of Copenhagen, 1801, and accompanied Lord Nelson in his pursuit of the French and Spanish fleets to the West Indies, 1805. JP for Hampshire. He married, 13 February 1828 at Berwick-upon-Tweed, Sarah (1804-86), daughter of Patrick Dickson of Berwick-on-Tweed, and had issue:
He lived at Portsmouth (Hants) and later at Broadbush, Petersfield (Hants).
Askew (later Askew-Robertson), Watson (1834-1906) of Pallinsburn and Ladykirk. Only son of Christopher Crackenthorpe Askew (1782-1848) and his wife Sarah, daughter of Patrick Dickson of Berwick-on-Tweed, born 6 August and baptised at St Mary, Portsea (Hants), 13 August 1834. Educated at Eton and Christ Church, Oxford (matriculated 1852). JP and DL for Northumberland and Berwickshire; High Sheriff of Northumberland, 1862; Chairman of Northumberland Quarter Sessions, 1895-1905; a member (later Alderman) of Northumberland County Council, 1889-1903 (Vice-Chairman 1895-1903). Master of the Northumberland & Berwickshire Foxhounds. In 1892 he stood unsuccessfully for Parliament as a Unionist in Berwick-upon-Tweed. He assumed, for himself and his wife alone, the additional surname and arms of Robertson by royal licence, 20 September 1890. He married, 20 August 1856 at Norham (Northbld), Hon. Sarah (c.1836-1929), daughter and co-heir of David Robertson, 1st Baron Marjoribanks, of Ladykirk (Berwicks.) and had issue:
(5) Isabel Sarah Askew (1867-1943), born 17 May 1867; married, 14 January 1903, Lt-Col. Rev. Preb. Robert Dixon Rosby Greene (c.1872-1961), vicar of Kington (Herefs.), son of Rev. Matthew Greene of Norham (Northbld) and had issue one son; died 10 July 1943; will proved 27 October 1943 (estate £306);
Askew, David Hugh Watson (1863-1932) of Pallinsburn. Second, but eldest surviving son of Watson Askew-Robertson (1834-1906) and his wife Hon. Sarah, daughter of David Robertson, Lord Marjoribanks of Ladykirk (Berwicks), born in Edinburgh, 21 October 1863. Educated at Eton, Christ Church, Oxford (matriculated 1882; BA 1885) and Inner Temple (admitted 1886; called to bar, 1888). Barrister-at-law on North-Eastern Circuit. JP for Berwickshire and Northumberland; Sheriff of Berwick, 1910-11; High Sheriff of Northumberland, 1912-13. A Conservative (Unionist) in politics. He had antiquarian and heraldic interests and his collections are now in the Bodleian Library, Oxford. He was unmarried and without issue.
Askew (later Askew-Robertson), William Haggerston (1868-1942). Third son of Watson Askew-Robertson (1834-1906) and his wife Hon. Sarah, daughter of David Robertson, Lord Marjoribanks of Ladykirk (Berwicks), born 4 October 1868. Educated at Eton and Christ Church, Oxford (BA 1892). Partner in Gordon, Askew & Biddulph, stockbrokers, in London until about 1922. JP for Berwickshire and Northumberland. He assumed the additional name of Robertson, 1 November 1929. He was noted for his public benefactions which included the gift of Duddingston Loch to the city of Edinburgh as a nature reserve, and the gift of £10,000 to Berwick-upon-Tweed Borough for building model houses for working people in the 1920s. He married, 28 March 1903, Katherine Marjorie Strathearn (1881-1932), daughter of Hon. John Edward Gordon MP and had issue:
Askew, Maj. John Marjoribanks Eskdale (1908-96) of Ladykirk. Only son of William Haggerston Askew (later Askew-Robertson) (1868-1942) and his wife Katherine Marjorie Strathearn, daughter of Hon. John Edward Gorson MP, born 22 September 1908. Educated at Eton and Magdalene College, Cambridge. An officer in Grenadier Guards (2nd Lt., 1932; re-employed 1939; Capt., 1940); Brigadier in Royal Company of Archers. Landowner and farmer. JP and DL for Berwickshire; Vice Lord-Lieutenant of Berwickshire, 1955. He married 1st, 4 October 1933 (div. 1966), Lady Susan Alice (1913-2010), fourth daughter of John Francis Granville Scrope Egerton, 4th Earl of Ellesmere, and 2nd, Jan-Mar 1967, Rona Margaret (c.1916-85), daughter of W. Ronald Murray and widow of Maj. Henry Redvers Trotter (1902-62) of Charterhall (Berwicks.), and had issue:
Askew, Henry John (b. 1940) of Ladykirk. Only son of Maj. John Marjoribanks Eskdale Askew (1908-96) and his wife, Lady Susan Alice Egerton, daughter of 4th Earl of Ellesmere, born 5 April 1940. Educated at Eton. An officer in the Grenadier Guards (2nd Lt., 1959). Landowner and farmer. He married, 27 January 1978 at Queen's Chapel, Savoy Palace, London (div. 1999), Rosemary Eileen, daughter of Dr. Charles Edmonds Darby Taylor of Little Shelford (Cambs), and had issue:
Location of archives
Askew family of Redheugh: deeds, 1784-1918 [Durham Univ., Special Collections, BRA 715]
Askew family of Pallinsburn: estate and family papers, 1725-1912 [Northumberland Archives, 02729]
Askew (and Askew-Robertson) family of Ladykirk: deeds, estate and family papers, 1470-19th cent. [Private Collection; enquiries to National Register of Archives for Scotland]
Coat of arms
Askew of Redheugh and Pallinsburn: Sable, a fesse or, between three asses passant argent, maned and unguled of the second.
Askew-Robertson of Ladykirk: Quarterly, 1st and 4th, Gules, three wolves' heads, erased argent, armed and langued azure, all within a bordure of the second; 2nd and 3rd, Sable, a fesse or, between three asses passant argent, maned and unguled of the second.
Can you help?
Here are a few notes about information and images which would help to improve the account above. If you can help with any of these or with other additions or corrections, please use the contact form in the sidebar to get in touch.
- Can anyone provide more information about the ownership history of Glenridding House after 1854?
- Can anyone provide further early illustrations of Pallinsburn before the rebuilding of 1912?
- If anyone is able to contribute additional career information, genealogical details or portraits for this family, I should be very pleased to hear from them.