|Ashton of Hyde|
|Gerrards, from an old postcard.|
James Ashton (1777-1841) built Newton Lodge at Hyde, also about 1820, and in 1835, perhaps with thoughts of retirement to the country, purchased Little Onn Hall in Staffordshire. These properties descended to his only son John Ashton (1800-44), who died young, and then to his son, Charles James Ashton (1830-91), who rebuilt Little Onn Hall in the 1850s, when he came of age. With this development there seems to have come a decisive shift of attention away from the family's urban and industrial roots. Charles' widow died in 1893 and Little Onn and Newton Lodge descended to their teenage daughters, Eveline and Amy Ashton. In the years before they married (in 1902 and 1903) and moved away, the sisters extended Little Onn Hall and laid out a fine garden there to the designs of Thomas Mawson: one would like to know more about them and their motivations in this project, which it was remarkable for them to take on at such a young age. They also donated Newton Lodge to the people of Hyde as a public park.
|Ford Bank, Didsbury: as first built in 1854 for Thomas Ashton (1818-98).|
Image: Manchester Libraries
|Vinehall, Robertsbridge, Sussex: the house as extended |
for the 1st Baron Ashton of Hyde. Image: Vinehall School
When the 1st Baron died in 1933 he was succeeded by his only surviving son, Thomas Henry Raymond Ashton (1901-83), 2nd Baron Ashton of Hyde, who had been brought up in Sussex and thus did not have the close association with the cotton towns of south-east Lancashire and north-east Cheshire that his father and grandfather had had. His passion was hunting, and in 1929 he bought a fairly modest Victorian house called Broadwell Hill in prime hunting country in Gloucestershire, which he enlarged about ten years' later to the design of Eric Cole of Cirencester. Here he was able to hunt with the Heythrop Hunt on its territory on the Gloucestershire-Oxfordshire border, and for a remarkable eighteen years he was Master of the hunt, seeing it through the difficult years of the Second World War.
His son, Thomas John Ashton (1926-2008), 3rd Baron Ashton of Hyde was keen on hunting too, but after doing his national service and going to university, he joined Barclays Bank under a scheme which allowed accelerated promotion to director level for young men of appropriate background. According to his obituarist, when working in Oxford in the late 50s, he would go into the office early to dictate letters and then go hunting; returning to the office later in the day to sign his correspondence. When he inherited Broadwell Hill in 1983, however, he put Broadwell Hill on the market, and even though it did not sell, he himself seems not subsequently to have lived there. It was eventually made over to his son, Thomas Henry Ashton (b. 1958), the 4th and present Baron Ashton of Hyde, who had a career in the insurance industry before inheriting the peerage. Although hereditary peers no longer sit in the House of Lords as of right, he was elected in 2011 to fill one of the 90 seats reserved for them, and since 2014 he has been a minister in the coalition and Conservative governments.
Pole Bank Hall, Hyde, Cheshire
|Pole Bank Hall: an early 20th century view of the entrance front from an old postcard|
|Pole Bank Hall: an early postcard of the park, showing the side elevation of the house.|
Descent: Samuel Ashton (1742-1812); to son Benjamin Ashton (1813-89); to nephew, (Arthur) Godfrey Burchardt-Ashton (b. 1854); sold to Thomas Beeley; to son Thomas Carter Beeley (d. 1909); sold c.1910 to George F. Byrom (d. 1942); bequeathed to Hyde Borough Council.
Newton Lodge, Hyde, Cheshire
A three bay square two-storey stone villa built about 1820. The entrance front had a projecting centre with a semicircular Ionic porch and a plat band continuing the line of the porch entablature. The side elevations were severely plain and there was a service wing at the rear.
|Newton Lodge, Hyde: entrance front c.1910, from an old postcard. Image: Tameside Archives|
|Newton Lodge, Hyde, from an old postcard.|
The house and grounds were given to the town of Hyde by the daughters of C.J. Ashton and opened as a park in 1904, but the borough authorities demolished the house in 1938 and replaced it with the Bayley Hall.
Descent: built for James Ashton (1777-1841); to son, John Ashton (1800-44); to son, Charles James Ashton (1830-91); to widow, Mary Eliza Ashton (1845-93); to daughters, Eveline Mary (1875-1952), later wife of Rev. Arthur Henry Talbot (1855-1927) and Amy Elizabeth (1877-1960), later wife of Lt-Col. Ellis Holland (1854-1920), who gave it to Hyde Borough Council in 1902.
Little Onn Hall, Church Eaton, Staffordshire
The manor of Little Onn is first recorded in 1498 and a moated site to the north-east of the present house is interpreted as the site of a moated house of 15th/16th century date which was presumably the manor house. Some walling remains above ground at the north-west corner of the island in the moat, which may have been part of the house.
|Little Onn Hall: unpublished engraving commissioned by Stebbing Shaw. Image: William Salt Library, Stafford.|
The estate was bought by Robert Crockett in the mid 18th century and a seven by three bay, two-and-a-half storey late 18th century house was built here, probably by his son, Henry Crockett (d. 1796), who inherited in 1776. Little is known about this house because it was replaced in the 1850s for Lt-Col. Charles James Ashton by an asymmetrical house in a loosely Jacobean style with crow-stepped gables and a turret with a very pointy roof.
|Little Onn Hall: entrance front: the house of the 1850s is to the right; the extensions of the 1890s to the left.|
When Col. Ashton died in 1891 he was succeeded by his widow (d. 1893) and then by his two young daughters, who made some rather uninspiring additions to the house in a freer Jacobean style to the design of an unknown architect. These include a new porch and a large, mostly single-storey range to its left that sports a big bay window. They also and more happily commissioned a new garden design from T.H. Mawson, then early in his career but rapidly building a reputation as one of the foremost garden designers. The date of these works is not absolutely clear, but even though the sisters were only 18 and 16 in 1893, it would appear that the changes were made sooner rather than later in their ownership.
|Little Onn Hall: garden design by T.H. Mawson, c.1895.|
Mawson's garden scheme was not fully executed because the sisters had spent so much on the additions to the house that they were running out of money, but the bones of his plan were carried out, and it remains one of his best-preserved schemes. Mawson created a terrace round the house by excavating the land where it did not fall naturally, and moved the approach drive from the north to the west side. Formal gardens were created close to the house, and a series of square stone summerhouses marked the boundary between the gardens and the pasture land beyond, which was planted with specimen trees. North-east of the house a medieval moated site was incorporated into the garden. The island in the moat was given a rustic summerhouse with tiny Gothic windows, rustic timbering, and a wooden tiled roof, and it was intended to create three bridges across the moat, but it is not clear whether these were ever built.
Descent: Robert Crockett (d. 1776); to son, Henry Crockett (d. 1796); to son, Henry Crockett (d. 1833), who sold c.1830 to James Ashton (1777-1841); to son, John Ashton (d. 1844); to son, Lt-Col. Charles James Ashton (1830-91), who rebuilt the house; to widow, Eliza Mary Ashton (1845-93); to daughters, Eveline Mary and Amy Elizabeth Ashton, who sold c.1907 to Tyrell William Cavendish (d. 1912 in the Titanic disaster); to widow, Julia Florence Cavendish (d. 1963) who sold to William Dickens Hayward (d. by 1939); to widow....sold 1971 to Ian Kidson (d. 1998); to widow (d. 2004); sold 2005 to David George Bradshaw (b. 1968).
Broadwell Hill, Gloucestershire
|Broadwell Hill: the garden front|
After Thursby's widow died in 1912 the house was sold and it then changed hands several times before being bought by Thomas Ashton (later 2nd Baron Ashton of Hyde) in 1929. He employed Eric Cole of Cirencester to extend the original house in 1938. The new wing was built at an angle to the south-west, giving the house a rather unusual plan. The principal objective of the extension was presumably to provide some reception rooms and bedrooms with a better aspect, since the main rooms of the original house faced east. The new wing was lower than the main block and masses with it fairly successfully, but is executed in the rather mechanical Cotswold Tudor style associated with Cole. Lord Ashton of Hyde died in 1983 and the house was offered for sale shortly afterwards, but it remains in the family.
Descent: Barker family; sold 1802 to Lee Compere; sold 1824 to Robert Beman; sold 1874 to Albert Clifford sold c.1876 to Capt. Piers Thursby (1834-1904), who rebuilt the house; to widow, Mary Thursby (nee Godman) (1839-1912); sold to Charles Slingsby Peirse-Duncombe (1870-1925); sold to Rev. Cecil Graham Moon (1867-1948); sold 1929 to Thomas Ashton (1901-83), 2nd Baron Ashton of Hyde, who extended the house; to son, Thomas John Ashton (1926-2008), 3rd Baron Ashton of Hyde, who transferred it to his son, (Thomas) Henry Ashton (b. 1958), 4th Baron Ashton of Hyde.
Ashton family of Broadwell Hill, Barons Ashton of Hyde
Ashton, Samuel (1742-1812) of Gerrards. Son of Benjamin Ashton (1718-91) of Gerrards and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Edward Lees of Hazlehurst, Ashton-under-Lyne (Lancs), born 16 December 1742. Yeoman farmer at Gerrards, Gee Cross, Hyde. He married, 13 March 1773, Mary (1753-1825), daughter of John Oldham, and had issue including:
(1) Samuel Ashton (1773-1849) (q.v.);
(2) Thomas Ashton (1775-1845) (q.v.);
(3) James Ashton (1777-1841) (q.v.);
(4) John Ashton (1780-1846) of Manchester and Newton Bank, Hyde, baptised at Ashton-under-Lyne (Lancs), 23 January 1780; cotton manufacturer; unmarried but had an illegitimate daughter by Eliza Atkinson alias Partington of Salford (Lancs) (Ann Atkinson alias Ashton, b. 1834); died 18 April 1846; his eccentric will, by which he left most of his estate towards paying off the national debt, was proved 28 August 1846;
(5) Jane Ashton (b. 1782; fl. 1836), baptised at Gee Cross Unitarian church, 12 May 1782; living in 1836 but perhaps dead by 1852;
(6) Joseph Ashton (1786-1856), born 23 May and baptised at Gee Cross Unitarian church, 26 June 1786; married, 27 August 1812 at Stockport, Ann Booth (c.1787-1860) but had no issue; died 5 January 1856; will proved 2 September 1856;
(7) Benjamin Ashton (1789-1835), born 25 November and baptised at Gee Cross Unitarian church, 27 November 1789; died unmarried and was buried at Hyde Chapel, 21 December 1835;
(8) Mary Ashton (1792-1866), born 10 March and baptised at Gee Cross Unitarian church, 6 May 1792; married William Tinker (b. c.1795), surgeon, of North Meols (Lancs), and had issue a son, who took the name Ashton; died 14 February 1866; will proved 12 April 1866 (effects under £1,500);
(9) Betty Ashton (1794-1802), born 8 June and baptised at Gee Cross Unitarian church, 6 July 1794; died young and was buried at Gee Cross Unitarian church, 24 December 1802;
(10) Robert Ashton (1797-1856) of Rusholme Hall, Manchester, born 23 April and baptised at Hyde Chapel, 28 May 1797; JP for Derbyshire and Lancashire; married, 1833, Lucy (1801-49), daughter of Joseph Horsfield but had no issue; died Jul-Sep 1855; will proved 7 November 1856;
(11) Ann Ashton (1801-31), born 17 September and baptised at Gee Cross Unitarian church, 1 November 1801; died unmarried as a result of being seriously burned at Manchester; buried at Hyde Chapel, 11 March 1831.
He inherited Gerrards from his father in 1791.
He was buried at Hyde Chapel, 23 July 1812; his will was proved at Chester, 26 October 1812. His widow died 20 September 1825.
|Samuel Ashton (1773-1836)|
(1) Thomas Ashton (1807-31), born 13 October and baptised at Hyde Chapel, 21 October 1807; died unmarried when he was shot dead, in an attempt to intimidate local millowners, by three men who lay in wait for him on his way to act as supervisor at Apethorn Mill, 5 January 1831; his killers were caught in 1834 and two of them were executed (the other was spared for turning king's evidence);
(2) James Ashton (1809-66) of Highfield House, Bredbury (Cheshire) and later of Mimwood House, North Mimms (Herts), born 3 July and baptised at Hyde Chapel, 5 August 1809; married 1st, 1 October 1834, Eliza (1811-43), daughter of Joseph Bailey and had issue a daughter; married 2nd, 1 July 1846, Frances (d. 1878), daughter of David Cheetham of The Priory, Stalybridge (Cheshire) and had issue two sons (including Philip James Ashton (1847-78) of Highfield) and one daughter; in 1860-62 he leased Holmwood, Putney Hill (Surrey); died 6 November 1866; will proved 6 February 1867 (effects under £160,000);
(3) Elizabeth Ashton (1811-96), born 28 August and baptised at Hyde Chapel, 23 October 1811; married 1st, 1 May 1833, Thomas Hardcastle (c.1808-46) of Bolton (Lancs) and 2nd, 22 July 1850 at Twickenham (Middx), Fitz Arundell Mackenzie (c.1822-93), by whom she had issue including Arundell Mackenzie (later Mackenzie-Ashton) of Howden Court, Tiverton (Devon), who inherited the property of his cousin, Philip James Ashton in 1878; died 5 December 1896 at Cosmopolitan Hotel, Nice (France); will proved 2 February 1897 (estate £28,168);
(4) Benjamin Ashton (1813-89) (q.v.);
(5) Jane Ashton (1816-1908), born 20 April and baptised at Hyde Chapel, 16 June 1816; married, 12 June 1852 at Hyde Chapel, Otto Ernest Lebrecht Burchardt (d. 1882), merchant and German consul in Liverpool, and had issue three sons and one daughter, including Arthur Godfrey Burchardt (later Burchardt-Ashton) (b. 1854), who inherited Pole Bank Hall from his uncle, Benjamin Ashton, in 1889; died 24 April 1908; will proved 4 August 1908 (estate £14,716);
(6) Mary Ashton (1818-85), born 17 December 1818 and baptised at Hyde Chapel, 23 February 1819; married, 5 February 1846, Thomas Bayley Potter MP (1817-98), merchant (who m2, 10 March 1887 at Brixton (London), Helena, daughter of John Hicks), and had issue four sons and one daughter; died 6 November 1885 at Hotel Beau Séjour, Cannes (France); administration of goods granted 11 February 1886 to her husband (effects £340);
(7) Samuel Ashton (1821-85) of Telham Grange (Sussex), born 15 May and baptised at Hyde Chapel, 19 July 1821; married, 31 October 1861 at Crowhurst (Sussex), Frances Maria (c.1829-81), daughter of T. Papillon of Crowhurst Park (Sussex) but had no issue; died 19 February 1885 at Colombo (Ceylon); will proved 25 April 1885 (effects £32,249);
(8) Anne Ashton (1823-62), born 23 December 1823 and baptised at Hyde Chapel, 22 February 1824; married, 24 January 1850 at Leamington (Warks), Charles Andrew of Green Hill, Compstall near Romiley (Cheshire), cotton manufacturer (who m2, Jane Margaret (b. 1832), daughter of Thomas Blayney of The Lodge, Evesham (Worcs)), and had issue five daughters; died 9 December 1862.
He inherited Gerrards from his father and built Pole Bank Hall.
He died 13 March 1849; his will was proved 4 May 1849. His wife died 2 July and was buried at Hyde Chapel, 9 July 1836.
|Benjamin Ashton (1813-89)|
He inherited Pole Bank Hall from his father in 1849. At his death his cotton mills were left to his nephews, Frederick and Godfrey Burchardt and his estate at Pole Bank to the latter.
He died 26 December 1889; his will was proved 7 February and 4 August 1890 (effects £224,860).
|Thomas Ashton (1775-1845)|
(1) Samuel Ashton (1804-60), of Oaklands, Godley, born and baptised 7 November 1804; cotton manufacturer, continuing his father's business in partnership with his younger brother; JP for Cheshire; married, 5 June 1833 at Stockport (Cheshire), Sarah Anne, daughter of Robert Davies of Dukinfield (Cheshire) but had no issue; died 18 May 1860; will proved 6 July 1860 (effects under £160,000);
(2) Mary Ashton (1806-87), born 7 November 1806 and baptised at Hyde Chapel, 23 November 1806; married, 28 January 1835 at Stockport, David Harrison (c.1791-1872) of Thomson Cross, Stalybridge (Cheshire) and had issue; died 5 August 1887 and was buried at Platt Unitarian Chapel, Rusholme (Lancs);
(3) Jane Ashton (1809-84), born 23 February and baptised at Hyde Chapel, 26 March 1809; married, 6 June 1832, John Leech (1802-61) of Gorse Hall, Stalybridge (Cheshire) and had issue three sons and five daughters (including Beatrix Potter's mother, Helen Leech); died 2 January and was buried at the Old Chapel, Dukinfield, 7 January 1884; will proved 12 March 1884 (effects £19,727);
(4) Harriet Ashton (1810-78) of Didsbury, born 26 December 1810 and baptised at Hyde Chapel, 13 January 1811; died unmarried, 2 May 1878; will proved 3 June 1878 (effects under £50,000);
(5) Sarah Ashton (1813-87), born 14 April 1813 and baptised at Hyde Chapel, 22 April 1813; married, Apr-Jun 1839, Charles William Newmann (1806-86) of Wyncote, Allerton, Liverpool, merchant; died 25 April 1887; will proved 1 June 1887 (effects £132,782).
(6) Thomas Ashton (1818-98) (q.v.).
He died 27 August 1845. His widow died 8 February 1860.
|Thomas Ashton (1818-98)|
(1) Harriot Gertrude Ashton (1853-88), born Jan-Mar 1853; married, 4 May 1882, Arthur Greenhow Lupton (1850-1930), second son of Francis Lupton of Beechwood, Leeds and had issue four sons and four daughters (including two sets of twins); died 4 March and was buried at St John, Roundhay, 7 March 1888;
(2) Elizabeth Marion Ashton (1854-1939), born 26 February 1854; married, 23 July 1889, Rt. Hon. Sir James Bryce OM GCVO PC (1838-1922), 1st Viscount Bryce, jurist, historian and politician, President of the Board of Trade and Ambassador to the United States, but had no issue; died 27 December 1939; will proved 15 May 1940 (estate £92,840);
(3) Thomas Gair Ashton (1855-1933), 1st Baron Ashton of Hyde (q.v.);
(4) Margaret Ashton (1856-1937), born Jan-Mar 1856; began a public career by managing and supporting schools and a nursing institution in Hyde; founded Manchester Women's Guardian Association, 1888; was a founder member of Women's Trade Union League, 1896; and a member of the Women's Liberal Association and the Liberal Party, 1895-1906, resigning when it became clear the Liberal party did not intend to give women the vote and joining the Labour Party in 1913; was a constitutional suffragist, and became chair of the North of England Society for Women's Suffrage, and financially supported its newspaper, the Common Cause; member of Withington UDC, 1900 and Manchester City Council, 1908-21, in which capacity she took an interest in maternity and child welfare issues and founded the Manchester Babies' Hospital; was a co-opted member of Lancashire Education Authority, 1903-; a Governor of Manchester High School for Girls, 1911; and a Governor of Manchester University (Hon. MA); a committed pacifist, in 1915 she was one of the founders of the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom; her pacifism made her unpopular on the city council (from which she resigned in 1921) and in her own family; in later years she joined the National Council of Women, and helped to found the Manchester Women's Citizens Association; died unmarried 15 October 1937; will proved 3 January 1938 (estate £20,049);
(5) Samuel Edgar Ashton (1857-80), born Jan-Mar 1857; educated at Oriel College, Oxford (matriculated 1876); drowned during a reading party in a lake at Tortworth (Glos), 10 August 1880; administration of goods granted to his father, 15 February 1881 (effects under £600);
(6) William Mark Ashton (1858-95), born Jul-Sep 1858; educated at Oriel College, Oxford (matriculated 1878); JP and County Councillor for Cheshire; member of Hyde Borough Council; married, 4 February 1886 at Hyde Chapel, Letitia Mary (1863-1943), daughter of William Kessler of Manchester and had issue one son and one daughter; died 24 May 1895; will proved 26 August 1895 (effects £77,629);
(7) Katharine Ashton (1859-1940), born early 1859; married, 25 September 1888, Charles Lupton (1855-1935) of Harehill, Leeds, son of Francis Lupton of Beechwood, Leeds, and had issue two sons and three daughters; died 9 May 1940 and was buried at St. John, Roundhay, Leeds, 11 May 1940;
(8) Grace Mary Ashton (1860-1948), born Jan-Mar 1860; married, 2 April 1884, Philip William Kessler (1853-1932), son of William Kessler of Manchester, and had issue four sons and three daughters; died 7 March 1948; will proved 23 June 1948 (estate £47,562);
(9) Charlotte Jane Ashton (1861-1924), born Jul-Sep 1861; married, 18 June 1887, Sir Edward Tootal Broadhurst (1858-1922), 1st bt., of Prestwich (Lancs), but had no issue; died 1 September 1924; will proved 22 November 1924 (estate £55,941).
He purchased Ford Bank, Didsbury, Manchester in 1858.
He died at Ford Bank, 21 January and was buried at Hyde Chapel, 24 January 1898; his will was proved 14 April 1898 (effects £526,451). His widow moved to London after her husband died, and died 1 January 1914; her will was proved 27 June 1914 (estate £36,673).
|1st Baron Ashton of Hyde|
Some rights reserved
(1) Thomas Henry (k/a Jack) Ashton (1887-97), born 8 October 1887; died young, 20 September 1897;
(2) Hon. Marion Evelyn Ashton (1890-1981), born 5 May 1890; married, 4 April 1913, Maj. Robert Wood (1874-1940), son of Thomas Robert Wood of Toronto (Canada); died 17 March 1981 and was buried in St. James Cemetery, Toronto (Canada);
(3) Hon. Margaret Joan Ashton (1893-1981), born 9 May 1893; married, 2 October 1925 in Bombay (India), Hugh Whistler JP FZA (1889-1943), son of Maj. Fuller Whistler of Battle (Sussex) and had issue one son and one daughter; died 27 September 1981; will proved 1 June 1982 (estate £19,761);
(4) Thomas Henry Raymond Ashton (1901-83), 2nd Baron Ashton of Hyde (q.v.).
He bought Vinehall, Robertsbridge, Sussex in 1902 and extended it; it was sold after the death of his widow in 1938.
He died 1 May and was buried at Hyde Chapel, 4 May 1933; his will was proved 20 June 1933 (estate £208,926). His widow died 4 January 1938; her will was proved 18 February 1938 (estate £24,483).
|2nd Baron Ashton of Hyde.|
Some rights reserved.
(1) Thomas John Ashton (1926-2008), 3rd Baron Ashton of Hyde (q.v.);
(2) Susan Ashton (b. & d. 1931), born 11 August and died in infancy, 15 August 1931;
(3) Hon. Judith Marjorie Ashton (1934-43), born 10 January 1934; died young, 10 September 1943.
He purchased Broadwell Hill in 1929 and extended it in 1938.
He died 21 March 1983; his will was proved 22 June 1983 (estate £3,691,385). His widow died 9 August 1993; her will was proved 1 November 1993 (estate £12,793,084).
|3rd Baron Ashton of Hyde|
(1) Thomas Henry Ashton (b. 1958), 4th Baron Ashton of Hyde (q.v.);
(2) Hon. Charlotte Trewlove Ashton (b. 1960), born 22 February 1960; married, 21 March 1987, Andrew D. Bartlett of Seven Springs House, Steeple Aston (Oxon), only son of D.W. Bartlett of Macclesfield (Cheshire) and had issue two sons;
(3) Hon. Katharine Judith Ashton (b. 1962), born 30 January 1962; married, 1987, Douglas James Lawson of Warehams Farm, Guildford (Surrey), son of Harry D. Lawson of Broughty Ferry (Angus) and had issue two sons and one daughter;
(4) Hon. John (k/a Jack) Edward Ashton (b. 1966), born 8 January 1966; educated at Eton and University of Buckingham; served in Artists Rifles; company director and investor; married, May 2013, Catherine Joanna (b. 1978), daughter of Graham Hendy of Loubert-Roumazieres (France).
He inherited Broadwell Hill from his father in 1983 and put it on the market later that year, but it was unsold. He lived at Fir Farm, Upper Slaughter (Glos). He made Broadwell Hill over to his elder son before 1998.
He died 2 August 2008; will proved 26 March 2009. His widow died 4 November 2014.
|4th Baron Ashton of Hyde|
(1) Harriet Emily Ashton (b. 1990), born 11 July 1990;
(2) Isobel Louise Ashton (b. 1992), born 22 September 1992;
(3) Flora Juliet Ashton (b. 1995), born 17 April 1995;
(4) Matilda Hermione Ashton (b. 2000), born 2 February 2000.
He was living at Broadwell Hill by 1998.
Ashton, James (1777-1841) of Newton Lodge, Hyde. Third son of Samuel Ashton (1742-1812) and his wife Mary, daughter of John Oldham, born 4 November 1777. Cotton spinner. In 1838 he gave the land on which St Mary's church, Newton in Hyde was built. He married Elizabeth, daughter of George Astley, and had issue:
(1) John Ashton (1800-44) (q.v.).
He built Newton Lodge, Hyde c.1820 and bought Little Onn Hall (Staffs) in 1835.
He died in 1841 and is commemorated on a monument in St Mary, Newton, Hyde. His wife's date of death is unknown.
Ashton, John (1800-44) of Newton Lodge and Little Onn Hall. Only son of James Ashton (1777-1841) and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of George Astley, born 20 July and baptised at Gee Cross Unitarian church, 18 August 1800. Cotton manufacturer. He married, 11 March 1829 at Stockport (Cheshire), Elizabeth (b. 1806), daughter of John Leech of The Croft, Dukinfield (Cheshire), and had issue:
(1) Charles James Ashton (1830-91) (q.v.);
(2) Elizabeth Mary Ashton (b. 1832; fl. 1874), born 3 June and baptised at Gee Cross Unitarian church, 22 August 1832; baptised into Church of England at St Marylebone (Middx), 27 November 1874; probably died unmarried;
(3) John William Ashton (1833-88) of Newton House, born 16 November 1833 and baptised at Gee Cross Unitarian church, 24 January 1834; cotton spinner; died unmarried at an hotel in Glasgow, 19 November 1888; administration granted to his brother, 23 January 1889 (effects £184,043) and renewed to his brother's executors, 21 September 1891;
(4) Caroline Anne Ashton (1837-91), born 4 November 1837; baptised into Church of England at St Marylebone (Middex), 27 November 1874; married, Oct-Dec 1874, Rev. William Reynard (c.1841-78), rector of Willingham (Lincs); died 9 June 1890; will proved 7 August 1891 (effects £79,228).
He inherited Newton Lodge and Little Onn Hall from his father in 1841.
He died in 1844 and is commemorated on his father's monument in St Mary, Newton, Hyde. His wife's date of death is unknown, but it is probable she died before 1851.
Ashton, Charles James (1830-91) of Newton Lodge and Little Onn Hall. Elder son of John Ashton of Newton Lodge and Little Onn Hall (Staffs) and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of John Leech of Stalybridge, born 21 March and baptised at Newton Bank, 30 May 1830. Cotton manufacturer. Lt-Col. of 4th Battn, Cheshire Volunteers, 1876-79. JP for Staffordshire. He married 1st, 6 January 1864 at Tyldesley (Lancs), Maria (1831-69), daughter of James Bayley, and 2nd, 30 April 1874 at Birlingham (Worcs), Mary Eliza (1845-93), daughter of Joseph Woodward, and had issue:
(1.1) Charles Arthur Ashton (1865-89), born 7 February 1865; educated at Harrow and Jesus College, Cambridge (matriculated 1883); died at sea, unmarried, in the lifetime of his father, 18 June 1889; will proved 24 April 1891 (estate £31,375);
(2.1) Eveline Mary Ashton (1875-1952), of Little Onn Hall; married, 6 August 1903 at Church Eaton, Rev. Arthur Henry Talbot (1855-1927), provost of Denstone College and rector of Church Eaton, youngest son of Hon. & Rev. Arthur Chetwynd Talbot, and had issue four sons and two daughters; died 28 July 1952; will proved 18 November 1952 (estate £29,966);
(2.2) Amy Elizabeth Ashton (1877-1960), baptised 16 May 1877 at Church Eaton; married, 7 August 1902 at Church Eaton, Lt-Col. Ellis Charles Fletcher Holland (1854-1920) of Chambers Court, Longdon (Worcs), second son of Francis Dermot Holland of Cropthorne Court (Worcs), but had no issue; lived latterly at The Pound House, Cropthorne (Worcs); died 5 April 1960; will proved 19 May 1960 (estate £220,758).
He inherited Newton Lodge and Little Onn Hall from his father. At his death these properties passed to his widow for life and then to his daughters. They donated Newton Lodge and its grounds to the borough of Hyde as a public park in 1902, in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria. They remodelled Little Onn Hall and laid out a garden in the 1890s, but after they were married and moved away it was sold c.1907.
He died 12 June 1891; his will was proved 17 August 1891 (effects £141,979). His first wife died 12 December and was buried at Newton, 18 December 1869. His widow died 30 April 1893.
Burke's Landed Gentry, 1898, vol. 1, pp. 34-35; Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 2003, pp. 159-60; T. Middleton, Annals of Hyde and district, 1899, pp. 146-54; VCH Glos, vi, p. 53; Sir N. Pevsner, The buildings of England: Staffordshire, 1974, p.104; D. Verey and A. Brooks, The buildings of England: Gloucestershire - The Cotswolds, 1999, i, p. 202; C. Hartwell, M. Hyde, E. Hubbard and Sir N. Pevsner, The buildings of England: Cheshire, 2011, pp. 409-14.
Location of archives
Ashton family, Barons Ashton of Hyde: family papers, chiefly of Thomas Ashton (1818-98) [Manchester Archives and Local Studies, M107]; Sussex estate deeds and papers, 16th-19th cents [East Sussex Record Office, SAS-AN]
Coat of arms
Sable on a pile between two crescents in base argent, a mullet pierced of the first.
Can you help?
Here are a few notes about information and images which would help to improve the account above. If you can help with any of these or with other additions or corrections, please use the contact form in the sidebar to get in touch.
- Does anyone know more about the early history of Little Onn Hall? It would be good to establish whether a building on the moated site was the immediate predecessor of the Georgian house, and exactly when the latter was built.
- Can anyone supply a better photograph of Broadwell Hill?
- If anyone is able to provide additional career information or missing genealogical details for this family, I should be very pleased to hear from them.
Revision and acknowledgements
This post was first published 10th March 2016.