|Apperly of Rodborough|
When Sir Alfred died in 1913, he had recently changed his will to leave Rodborough Court to his widow absolutely rather than leaving her a life interest with remainder to his eldest son, Charles Alfred Apperly (1872-1939), probably because Charles had just built a new house on Rodborough Common, called Cotsmoor. Charles did inherit his father's shares in the family business, of which he duly became Chairman, but under his leadership the business lost its way and it closed down in 1933. One local source describes Charles as 'a wastrel son', which may be a bit harsh as he became Chairman at a difficult period for the local cloth industry, when many other businesses also closed; but it certainly appears that Charles had a fondness for travel and he can have given limited attention to the business through the 1920s.
Lady Apperly sold Rodborough Court in 1923, although she retained a tenancy for life on a flat in the house, which she occupied until her death in 1931. Charles sold Cotsmoor in the 1920s and rented a house at Southbourne (Hants); he also owned a villa on Tenereife in the Canary Islands. After Apperly Curtis & Co. closed, he left England altogether and lived for the rest of his life in the south of France, where he died a few days after the outbreak of the Second World War.
Rodborough Court, Gloucestershire
Apperly family of Rodborough Court
Apperly, David (1812-87). Son of John Apperly (d. 1858) of Cainscross, cloth manufacturer, and his wife Ann Cooper (d. 1843), born 2 July and baptised at Rodborough Tabernacle, 11 October 1812. Nonconformist cloth manufacturer; retired 1872 and became a homeopathist. He married, 28 March 1838 at St Mary Magdalene, Taunton (Somerset), Ellen (1817-1900), daughter of Thomas Jacobs of Taunton, and had issue:
(1) Sir Alfred Apperly (1839-1913) (q.v.);
(2) Ellen Apperly (1840-99), born Apr-Jun 1840; lived at 2 Oxford Buildings, Cheltenham (Glos) with a companion; died unmarried, 10 April 1899; administration granted to her mother, 30 June 1899 (effects £313);
(3) Edward Apperly (c.1843-1931); farmer at Alma Villa, Hatherley Road, Cheltenham; married, 1871, Elizabeth Sarah Warlock and had issue two daughters; died in 1931 aged 88;
(4) Ebenezer Apperly (c.1845-1930); dental surgeon; married 1st, 1871, Jessie Nelson Coombes (c.1853-1906) and had issue two sons and one daughter (Rosa Catherine Apperly (1872-1961), who married the architect Percy Morley Horder); married 2nd, Oct-Dec 1910, Jane Ellis (c.1862-1943); died 7 February 1930, aged 85; will proved 16 April 1930 (estate £3,927);
(5) David Cooper Apperly (1846-1933), born 17 February 1846; woollen merchant; lived in Hackney (Middx) and later in Ealing (Middx) and at Glebelands, Bidborough (Kent); married 1st, 12 April 1870 at Milton, Glasgow, Louisa Margaret McKenzie (1846-1907) and had issue one son and four daughters; married 2nd, 1910 in San Remo (Italy), Beatrice Teresa Eccles (1877-1949) and had further issue one son and one daughter; died 19 December 1933 aged 87 and was buried at Rusthall (Kent); will proved 27 March 1934 (estate £114,583);
(6) Rosa Elizabeth Apperly (b. 1849), born Jul-Sep 1849; unmarried and living with her parents in 1881 but disappears from the records without trace thereafter;
(7) Frances Apperly (b. 1852), born Oct-Dec 1852; married, 1876, Walter (b. c.1852), son of Philip Charles Evans of Brimscombe Court (Glos) and had issue four sons and four daughters; emigrated to South Africa and lived at Brimscombe Farm, Hanover, Cape Province; living in 1895;
(8) John Theodore Apperly (1854-1948), born Oct-Dec 1854; commission agent in London; married, 4 June 1887 at St Jude, Grays Inn Road, London, Constance Emma (b. c.1862), daughter of George Cove and had issue two sons; living in Islington in 1921 but disappears from the records thereafter; died in Huntingdonshire, Jan-Mar 1948;
(9) Emily Georgiana Apperly (1857-1922), born Apr-Jun 1857; died unmarried, 2 May 1922; will proved 10 June 1922 (effects £1,210);
(10) Herbert Apperly (1860-1932), born Oct-Dec 1860; dental surgeon in Cavendish Square, London; married, 1887, Florence Edmunds (1856-1952) and had issue two sons and three daughters; died 24 February and was buried at Chipstead (Surrey), 27 February 1932; will proved 12 April 1932 (estate £23,306);
(11) Mary Apperly (c.1863-76); died young, Jan-Mar 1876.
He lived in Stroud and later at Rodborough and Cheltenham (all Glos).
He died 28 April 1887; his will was proved 24 August 1887 (effects £165). His widow died 22 March 1900; her will was proved 19 December 1900 (effects £241).
Apperly, Sir Alfred (1839-1913), kt., of Rodborough Court. Eldest son of David Apperly (1812-87) and his wife Ellen, daughter of Thomas Jacobs, born 2 January 1839. Cloth mill owner; chairman of Apperly, Curtis & Co., of Dudbridge Mill 1895-1913. A leading light of the Rodborough Tabernacle Methodist church. President, Mid Gloucestershire Liberal Association. Knighted 1907. JP and County Councillor for Gloucestershire; Chairman of Rodborough School Board; a member of Stroud Rural District Council and Stroud Board of Guardians. He married, 19 January 1865 at Egham (Surrey), Maria (1846-1931), daughter of Henry Charles Paice of Aubrey Haw, Egham and had issue:
(1) Ethel Marianne Apperly (1867-1959), born 23 May 1867; married, 9 January 1889, James David Hunter Hedderwick (1845-1926) of Glasgow and had issue one son and four daughters; died 5 August 1959, aged 92;
(2) Jessie Maria Apperly (1869-1953), born Apr-Jun 1869; married, 8 September 1897, Albert Edward Tilley (1871-1940) of Hampstead (Middx), chartered accountant, and had issue one son and one daughter; died 10 July 1953; will proved 11 September 1953 (estate £5,127);
(3) Rose Ellen Apperly (1871-1946), born Apr-Jun 1871; married, 31 October 1901, George Daniel Gooch (1879-1969) of Furze Hill Lodge, Kingswood (Surrey) and had issue two sons and one daughter; died 22 June 1946; will proved 29 October 1946 (estate £3,162);
(4) Charles Alfred Apperly (1872-1939) (q.v.);
(5) Capt. Ernest Paice Apperly (1874-1952), born 2 December 1874; cloth manufacturer with Apperly Curtis & Co. and later at Huddersfield (Yorks); served in Royal Engineers in WW1 (Capt.); lived at Spring Vale House, Huddersfield (Yorks) c.1911-29; married, 29 June 1899 at Banstead (Surrey), Edith (b. 1872), daughter of James Byres Watt of Castleton, Banstead and had issue a daughter; died 1 June 1952; will proved 31 July 1952 (estate £1,665);
(6) Arthur Lancelot Apperly (1877-1916), born 29 May 1877; educated at Cheltenham College; served in 5th Battn., Gloucestershire Regiment in WW1; killed in action on the Somme, 27 August 1916 and is commemorated on the memorial to the missing at Thiepval; administration granted to his mother (estate £1,638).
He built up the Rodborough Court estate from 1870 and built a new house in 1888 which was enlarged in 1899. At his death the estate passed to his widow, who sold the freehold in 1923.
He died 7 September 1913 aged 74; his will was proved 14 October 1913 (estate £43,384). His widow died 23 February 1931; her will was proved 8 May 1931 (estate £3,005).
Apperly, Charles Alfred (1872-1939), of Rodborough Court. Eldest son of Sir Alfred Apperly (1839-1913) and his wife Maria, daughter of Henry Charles Paice of Aubrey Haw, Egham (Surrey), born 21 November 1872. Educated at Cheltenham College. Served in Gloucestershire Volunteer Engineers (Lt., 1893; Capt., 1900). JP for Gloucestershire, 1906. Succeeded his father as Chairman of Apperly, Curtis & Co., but seems not to have had the same aptitude for or interest in the business, which ceased trading in 1933. He married, 21 November 1912, Florence Mary (d. 1967), daughter of Joseph Lees of Minnickfold, Holmwood (Surrey) and had issue:
(1) Alfreda Josephine Apperly (1913-2002), born 7 September 1913; married, 1936, Frank Matheson McBain (d. 1991), only son of James A.D. McBain of Hill House, Kenley; died 4 May 2002; will proved 14 October 2002;
(2) Marjorie Florence Apperly (1916-2010), born 11 April 1916; married, 8 August 1950 at East Molesey (Surrey), Harold Small (1911-96) of Montreal (Canada); died 14 February 2010 aged 93.
He lived at Rodborough Court until 1913 when he moved to a newly-built house called Cotsmoor on Rodborough Common. By 1929 he was living at Southbourne (Hants) and had a villa in Tenerife; after the family firm closed in 1933 he settled in France at Villa Sphinx, Valescure, St. Raphael, Var (France).
He died 18 September 1939; his will was proved 7 March 1940 (estate £4,975 in England). His widow died 22 January 1967; her will was proved 19 April 1967 (estate £8,779).
Burke's Landed Gentry, 1952, p. 48; VCH Glos, xi, p. 221; J. Tann, Gloucestershire Woollen Mills, 1967, p. 156; D. Verey & A. Brooks, The buildings of England: Gloucestershire - The Cotswolds, 1999, pp. 579-80; N.W. Kingsley & M.J. Hill, The country houses of Gloucestershire, 1830-2000, 2001, pp. 212-13; http://www.randall-payne.co.uk/about-us/
Location of archives
No significant archive is known to survive.
Coat of arms
Argent, a bend between six pine-cones vert.
Revision and acknowledgements
This post was first published on 25 January 2015 and updated 6 July and 11 November 2015.