|Anwyl of Parc and Llugwy|
Catherine was clearly a strong woman and remained the dominant force at Parc throughout the 17th century, outliving both her sons, and dying only a few months before her grandson, William Lewis Anwyl (c.1670-1701) of Parc. After his death without children the descent of the estate was the subject of litigation for some forty years, although his widow (d. 1716) had a life interest; it eventually passed through William's niece Catherine (d. 1726) to the Williams baronets of Marle and fell out of gentry use. In 1942 it was sold to the architect and landowner, Sir Clough Williams-Ellis as an addition to his Plas Brondanw estate, and he restored some of the buildings for use as a farmhouse.
The sixth son of William Lewis Anwyl (c.1570-1642) was Ieuan Anwill (c.1609-66), who in about 1637 purchased the Llugwy estate at the other end of Merionethshire, in the parish of Pennal, where according to tradition there was a house built in 1611. Almost nothing is known about this house except that it was apparently Jacobean in style and was enlarged about 1746. It descended from father to son down to Jonathan Bunce Anwyl (d. 1852), and then passed in turn to two of his nephews. It was described as 'very ancient' in 1872 and Robert Charles Anwyl (1849-1933), who inherited in that year, rebuilt it in a neo-Jacobean style in about 1891; the architect is unknown. Robert passed it to his son, Capt. Maurice Ifan Hamilton Anwyl (1889-1942), who was the last of this branch of the family in the male line, but after his death it was sold in 1948 to his brother-in-law, Douglas Fraser Carson (1890-1978). The house became an hotel in the 1960s but is now once more in private occupation.
The present senior line of the Anwyls derives from Evan Anwyl (1719-1811), younger son of Ieuan Anwyl (c.1680-1722) of Llugwy, who inherited a subsidiary property at Bacheiddan (Montgomeryshire). His descendants are farmers at Towyn (Denbighs).
Parc, Llanfrothen, Merionethshire
|Parc, Llanfrothen: the mid 17th century reworking of the early 17th century lodging range. Image: SADHYA|
Despite the fact that the Anwyls were one of the leading county families in Merionethshire in the 16th, 17th and 18th century, their seat remained architecturally modest by the standards obtaining in richer parts of Wales, let alone England, at this time. Its status is declared less through architectural style than through the extent of the scatter of buildings that made up the manorial site and by the existence of garden features which more modest houses would not have possessed.
The earliest feature on the site is believed to have been a long house built by Robert ap Morys in the mid 16th century, which is now represented by a mound of rubble set above a terraced garden and the ruins of a garden tower described in the 17th century buy the Anwyls house-poet, Huw Machno. To this original building there was added on the south-west a late 16th century cross-wing. This is also now ruined, but its chimneystack incorporates a winding staircase and a fine square chimney. At a right-angle to this range again is a further building, of two full storeys. The upper floor of this block was originally cruck-framed, and it again has a winding staircase by the lower hearth and a round chimney. This block was converted into a farmhouse by Sir Clough Williams-Ellis in 1951, but this middle house is now unoccupied and in need of a new use.
Separated from the complex of buildings described so far by a small yard is a block that was apparently built as a range of lodgings for William Lewis Anwyl in about 1625. Each set of rooms originally had a separate entrance, with the upper ones reached by external wooden staircases. In the 1650s this appears to have become the main house, and the separate entrances were blocked, the external staircases removed, and internal circulation was introduced. From the south, the range now has a balanced composition, with two voussoir-headed doorways, one blocked, and two- and three-light mullioned windows to the first floor. Inside, the upper floor has a queen-post roof with cambered collar-beams which suggest use as a long gallery (or perhaps a granary). At the rear is an additional wing with a broad stone stair and one room on each floor. There is a datestone of 1671 with the initials of KA and LA, but it appears to have been re-set, and dendro-dates from the building point to construction in the 1660s. This block was first repaired by the author Richard Hughes in the 1930s.
North-east of the two house-blocks, on the old drive up from the Maesgwm river is a building suggestively named Gatws, in a similar style to the 17th century house. It seems likely that there was once a gatehouse building here, but curiously no building is shown in this position on an estate survey of 1802. The building certainly includes old materials (there are dendro-dates of 1618), and Richard Haslam conjectures that it represents a new building for Hugh Reveley, who bought the estate in the 1830s. It is picturesquely sited and was entered at first-floor level where there was a single heated room; it was enlarged in 1990 with a grass-roofed wing.
To the south-west of Gatws is a large square farmyard surrounded by mainly 18th century buildings, and at an angle to this a large square walled garden. North-east of the house is a set of three ambitious stone terraces some 150 yards long with retaining walls ten feet high, which appear to have been orchards rather than garden walks. The whole complex of buildings except for the walled garden is surrounded by a presumably 17th century rectangular high walled enclosure with a double viewpoint seat at the angle on the highest point of the hillside.
Descent: estate sold to Robert ap Morris (alias Robert Anwyl) (c.1500-76); to son, Lewis Anwyl (c.1535-1605); to son, William Lewis Anwyl (d. 1642); to son, Robert Anwyl (c.1598-1653); to son, Lewis Anwyl (c.1652-79); to son, William Lewis Anwyl (d. 1701); to widow, Elizabeth Anwyl (née Owen) (d. 1716); to niece, Catherine Anwyl (d. 1726), wife of Sir Griffith Williams (d. 1734), 6th bt. of Marle; to son, Sir Robert Williams (d. 1745), 7th bt.; to sister Anne (d. 1770), wife of Sir Thomas Prendergast (d. 1770), 2nd bt. and later of Terence Prendergast, who sold 1748 to William Wynne of Wern, Penmorfa; to son?, Williams Wynn IV of Wern... sold 1796 to Sir Edward Pryce Lloyd (1768-1854), 1st Baron Mostyn, who sold 1834 to Hugh John Reveley of Brynygwyn, Dolgellau; to ?daughter, Fanny Jane Jelf-Reveley, who sold 1892...sold 1942 to Sir Clough Williams-Ellis (1883-1978), kt. of Plas Brondanw; to Trustees of Brondaw Estate.
Llugwy Hall, Pennal, Merionethshire
|Llugwy Hall: garden front|
The original house on this site is traditionally dated to 1611 and is said to have been enlarged c.1746 (a datestone of this date exists, now loose); the building was described as 'very ancient' in 1872. In about 1890-91 Robert Charles Anwyl greatly enlarged and rebuilt the house in neo-Jacobean style. On the entrance front the battlemented two-storey porch survives from the 17th century house; it has a Tudor-arched doorway under a mullioned and transomed window with arched top lights. The range behind the porch is in origin 17th century too, although little now demonstrates this. A service wing north of the porch was demolished in 1963 and was replaced by a modern building when the house became an hotel. The garden side is of 1891 and built of grey stone with red standstone mullioned and transomed windows, and shaped gables, and the interiors of the house are now all neo-Jacobean. At the end of the drive is a stuccoed L-plan lodge of the late 19th century, with a half-round oriel on one side and a square bay on the other, glazed in delicate cast iron and quite pretty. The house became a hotel in the 1960s but is now once more in private occupation.
Descent: sold c.1637 to Ieuan Anwill (c.1609-66), who built a new house here; to son, Maurice Anwill (d. 1686); to son, Ieuan Anwyll (c.1680-1722); to son, Maurice Anwyl (c.1717-83); to son, Evan Anwyl (1745-1817); to son, Jonathan Bunce Anwyl (1789-1852); to nephew, Robert Anwyl (c.1787-1867); to brother, Evan Anwyl (1789-1872); to son, Robert Charles Anwyl (1849-1933) who rebuilt the house; to son, Maurice Ifan Hamilton Anwyl (1889-1942); sold 1948 to brother-in-law, Douglas Fraser Corson (1890-1978); sold for use as an hotel in 1960s.
Anwyl family of Parc and Llugwy Hall
Anwyl, Robert (alias Robert ap Morys) (c.1500-76) of Parc. Fourth son of Morys ap John ap Maredudd, of Rhiwaedog, who claimed descent from Owain Gwynedd, born about 1500. He was described as “a man of retiring disposition, benevolent to his neighbours, devoted to local pursuits rather than to public life” by the contemporary poet, William Llyn. His elder son took the name Anwyl but his younger sons adopted the surname Roberts. He married Lowry, daughter of Lewis ap Ifan ap Dafydd of Pengwern, and had issue:
(1) Lewis Anwyl (c.1535-1605) (q.v.);
(2) John Roberts (fl. 1599) of Vanner (Merioneths); married Anna, daughter of Paul Ardericke and had issue;
(3) William Roberts, a merchant in Cheapside, London;
(4) Moreiddig Roberts;
(5) Rev. David Roberts (fl. 1595); rector of Llanbedrog; however this may be a confusion with a son of John Roberts of the same name and calling;
(6) Gwen Anwyl/Roberts (fl. 1576); married John Evans of Maentwrog;
(7) Margaret Anwyl/Roberts (fl. 1576); married William ap Griffith of Ystrad and had issue;
(8) Catherine Anwyl/Roberts (fl. 1576); married William ap David Lloyd of Gwernfynydd;
(9) Jonet Anwyl/Roberts (fl. 1576); married Owen ap David Lloyd of Llanfrothen;
(10) Jane Anwyl/Roberts (fl. 1576); married John ap Richard of Ffestiniog and had issue a daughter;
(11) Elizabeth Anwyl/Roberts (fl. 1576); married William ap Rhys ap Thomas of Nanmor and had issue.
He acquired the Parc estate in the 1520s and built the first recorded house there.
He died in 1576.
Anwyl, Lewis (c.1535-1605) of Parc. Eldest son of Robert Anwyl (d. 1576) and his wife Lowry, born about 1535. He married 1st, c.1565, Elizabeth, daughter of Morris ap Ieuan ap John, of Wern Penmorfa (Caernarvons) and 2nd, Margaret, daughter of Richard ap Ieuan of Pennarth, Penmachno (Caernarvons) and had issue:
(1.1) William Lewis Anwyl (d. 1642) (q.v.);
(1.2) Robert Lewis Anwyl (b. 1572), mercer; married Ann Giles of London;
(1.3) Morris Lewis Anwyl (c.1574-1648) of Dolfriog, Beddgelert (Caernarvons); High Sheriff of Caernarvonshire, 1611; married, c.1605, Elizabeth, daughter of William ap Humphrey of Pant Du, Llanllyfni (Caernarvons) and had issue six sons and two daughters, from whom descended the minor gentry family of Anwyl of Dolfriog; died 1648; will proved 20 January 1648/9;
(1.4) David Lewis Anwyl; married Ann Owen;
(1.5) Evan Lewis Anwyl (b. c.1585) of Ffestiniog (Merioneths); married Elin, daughter of John David of Ffestiniog and had issue;
(1.6) Lowry Anwyl; married Peter Meyrick (d. 1630) of Ucheldre;
(1.7) Ann Anwyl; married Anthony Poole;
(1.8) Gwen Anwyl; married William ap Hugh of Hafodgaregog, Nanmor;
(2.1) Richard Lewis Anwyl (b. c1593; fl. 1680) of Hafod y Wyryd (Merioneths); sheriff of Caernarvonshire; married 1st, Tryphena, daughter of Robert Winn of Brynkir and 2nd, Margaret, daughter of Evan Lloyd of Dulassau, by whom he had issue two sons and four daughters;
(2.2) Rev. John Lewis Anwyl (d. 1652), rector of Llandanwg (Merionths); married Ann Owen but died without issue;
(2.3) Evan Anwyl.
He inherited the Parc estate from his father in 1576.
He died in 1605 and his will was proved in the PCC, 14 November 1605.
Anwyl, William Lewis (c.1570-1642) of Parc. Eldest son of Lewis Anwyl (c.1535-1605) of Parc and his first wife, Elizabeth, daughter of Morris ap Ieuan ap John of Wern Penmorfa (Caernarvons), born about 1570. JP and DL for Merionethshire; High Sheriff of Merionethshire, 1611 and 1624, and of Caernarvonshire, 1637. He maintained Huw Machno (c.1585-1637) as a bard at Parc. He married Elizabeth, eldest daughter and co-heiress of Edward Herbert of Maes Machre, Cemmaes (Montgomeryshire) and had issue:
(1) Katherine Anwyl (c.1595-1639); married, 1611, William Wynne (d. 1638) of Glyn Cywarch, sheriff of Merionethshire, and had issue eight sons and four daughters; died 20/23 February 1638/9;
(2) Lewis Anwyl (c.1596-1641) of Cemmaes; High Sheriff of Merionethshire, 1640-41; married 1st, 12 September 1627, Frances (d. 1633), daughter of Sir William Jones, Chief Justice of Common Pleas and had issue one daughter; married 2nd, 1634/5, Magdalen, daughter of Sir Thomas Williams, 2nd bt. of Vaynol (Caernarvons) but had no further issue; died in the lifetime of his father, 1641;
(3) Robert Anwyl (c.1598-1653) of Parc (q.v.);
(4) John Anwyl (d. 1660) of Llanfendigaid (Merioneths); High Sheriff of Merionethshire, 1655; married, c.1617, Margaret, daughter and heir of Hugh ap John ap Hugh of Llanfendigaid and had issue one daughter; died 1659/60;
(5) Mabli Anwyl (fl. 1631); married 1st, 1625, Ellis Ellis (d. 1631) of Ystumlynn and had issue two sons and one daughter; married 2nd, Richard Coetmor and had issue one son;
(6) Edward Anwyl (b. c.1606); married, 30 April 1633, Jane, daughter of Thomas Owen of Botalog, Towyn, and had issue; died before 1674;
(7) Morris Anwyl; died young;
(8) Evan Anwyl (c.1609-66) of Llugwy (q.v.);
(9) William Anwyl (1610-94); married Margaret, daughter of Lewis Owen of Waen Leveney, and had issue one son, from whom descend the Anwyl-Passingham family of Bala;
(10) Emanuel Anwyl (d. 1646) of Criccieth (Caernarvons); married Jane, daughter of Hugh Gwyn of Pennarth and widow of Evan Jones, and had issue one son and one daughter; buried 5 May 1646;
(11) Elizabeth Anwyl; married David Lloyd of Croesonen (Denbighs) and had issue four sons and one daughter;
(12) Ann Anwyl; married 1st, Jenkin Vaughan of Caethle, and 2nd, John Lloyd of Cardigan;
(13) Gwen Anwyl; married, 1632, Richard Poole of Cae Nest and had issue four sons and one daughter;
(14) Jane Anwyl; married, as his third wife, Lewis Lloyd (1608-68) of Rhiwaedog and had issue one son;
(15) Lowry Anwyl; married 1st, James Brynkir (1600-44) and had issue one son; married 2nd, Richard Jones of Dol-y-Moch;
(16) Richard Anwyl (c.1620-85); DL for Merionethshire; High Sheriff of Merionethshire, 1658-60; nominated to the a knight of the Royal Oak, 1660; buried 28 May 1685.
He inherited the Parc estate from his father in 1605 and was probably responsible for the early 17th century buildings on the site. He also purchased the Llwyn estate at Dolgellau.
He died in 1642; his will was proved in June 1642.
Anwyl, Robert (c.1598-1653) of Parc. Second son of William Lewis Anwyl (c.1570-1642) and his wife Elizabeth, daughter and co-heiress of Edward Herbert of Maes Machre, Cemmaes (Anglesey), born about 1598. An active Royalist; he conducted William Prynne from captivity in Caernarvon Castle by a hazardous voyage to the custody of the Lieutenant Governor of Jersey in 1637, and after the Civil War was fined for lending £300 to the king. JP for Merionethshire; High Sheriff of Merionethshire, 1650. He married Catherine (d. 1700), only daughter of Col. Sir John Owen of Clenneney, Vice-Admiral of North Wales, and had issue:
(1) Lewis Anwyl (c.1652-79) (q.v.);
(2) Owen Anwyl (c.1654-95) of Llwyn and Plas Newydd, Penrhyndeudraeth (Merioneths), born posthumously, 1654; built Plas Newydd c.1677; married, 1672, Elizabeth (d. 1686), daughter of William Griffith of Cefn Amlwch, Penllech (Caernarvons) and had issue two daughters; died 1695.
He inherited the Parc estate from his father in 1642. His widow apparently altered the lodging range at Parc into a new house after his death.
He died 11 October 1653. His widow was 'a woman of character and a patroness of Welsh literature' who outlived both her sons and died in 1700.
Anwyl, Lewis (c.1652-79) of Parc. Elder son of Robert Anwyl (c.1598-1653) of Parc and his wife Catherine (d. 1700), born about 1652. He married, 1668/9, Catherine (d. 1699), daughter of William Griffith of Cefn Amlwch (Caernarvons) and had issue:
(1) William Lewis Anwyl (d. 1701) of Parc (q.v.).
He inherited the Parc estate from his father in 1653. He apparently carried out some further work at Parc in 1671.
He died in February 1678/9 and was buried at Llanfrothen. His widow married 2nd, and as his second wife, Sir Hugh Owen (c.1645-99), 2nd bt., of Orielton (Pembs) and died in February 1698/99.
Anwyl, William Lewis (d. 1701) of Parc. Only son of Lewis Anwyl (c.1652-79) of Parc and his wife Catherine, daughter of William Griffith of Cefn Amlwch (Caernarvons), born about 1670. High Sheriff of Merionethshire, 1698-99. He married, 1695, Elizabeth (d. 1716), daughter of Sir Hugh Owen, 2nd bt., of Orielton, but had no issue.
He inherited the Parc estate from his father in 1678/9. After his death his estate was the subject of litigation for some forty years between rival claimants and was eventually divided between the Williamses of Marl and the Owens of Brogyntyn.
He died in London and was buried 9 February 1700/01, reputedly in Westminster Abbey. His widow married 2nd, 1703, Edward Brereton of Burras (c.1642-1725) and died in 1716.
Anwill, Ieuan or Evan (c.1609-66) of Llugwy. Sixth son of William Lewis Anwyl (c.1570-1642) of Parc and his wife Elizabeth, eldest daughter and co-heiress of Edward Herbert of Maes Machre, Cemmaes (Anglesey), born about 1609. He married, c.1643, Catherine, daughter of Maurice Williams of Hafodgaregog (Merioneths) and had issue:
(1) Maurice Anwill (d. 1686) (q.v.);
(2) Robert Anwill; died in the lifetime of his father;
(3) Elizabeth Anwill.
He lived at Brynkir (Caernarvons) and about 1637 purchased Llugwy Hall, which he probably rebuilt in the mid 17th century.
He died in 1666.
Anwill, Maurice (d. 1686) of Llugwy. Elder son of Ieuan or Evan Anwill (c.1609-66) of Llugwy and his wife Catherine, daughter of Maurice Williams of Hafodgaregog (Merioneths), probably born about 1645. He married, before 1678, Joane or Joanna, daughter of Hugh Pryce of Penmaendyfi (Caernarvons) and had issue:
(1) Catherine Anwyll (fl. 1681);
(2) Anne Anwyll (fl. 1681);
(3) Jane Anwyll (1678-1742); married, 10 November 1714, Rev. Thomas Vincent (né Corbet) (c.1677-1738), rector of Llanfachreth (Anglesey), and had issue; died 30 September 1742.
(4) Ieuan or Evan Anwyll (c.1680-1722) (q.v.);
He inherited Llugwy Hall from his father in 1666.
He is said to have been buried 2 December 1686, though some sources state he was living in 1695. His wife was living in 1689, but her date of death is unknown.
Anwyll, Ieuan or Evan (c.1680-1722) of Llugwy. Only son of Maurice Anwill (d. 1686) and his wife Joane, daughter of Hugh Pryce of Penmaendyfi (Caernarvons), born about 1680. He married ?Meallet [surname unknown] (d. 1737) and had issue:
(1) Anne Anwyl (d. c.1792); married [forename unknown] Evans (d. c.1792) and had issue;
(2) Jane Anwyl (d. 1792); married [name unknown] of Hydan-Dole, Castle Caereinion (Montgomerys) but had no issue; buried 21 September 1792;
(3) Maurice Anwyl (c.1717-83) (q.v.);
(4) Evan Anwyl (1719-1811) of Bacheiddan (Montgomerys), baptised 8 February 1718/19; married, 7 February 1748/49, Margaret (d. 1812), daughter of Evan Richard of Penmaen (Glamorgans) and had issue five sons and four daughters, from whom descend the Anwyls of Towyn; buried 17 March 1811, aged 92;
(5) Catherine Anwyl (1720-c.1805), baptised 14 October 1720; died unmarried after 1804.
He inherited Llugwy Hall from his father in 1686.
He was buried at Pennal, 26 January 1721/22. His widow was buried at Pennal, 31 October 1737.
Anwyl, Maurice (c.1717-83) of Llugwy. Elder son of Evan Anwyll (c.1680-1722) of Llugwy and his wife ?Meallet, born about 1717. He married, 19 October 1741, Anne (1717-1802), daughter of Hugh Evans of Machynlleth (Montgomerys) and had issue:
(1) Mary Anwyl (1742-1804), baptised 3 November 1742; died unmarried, 12 February 1804; will proved at Bangor, 1804;
(2) Evan Anwyl (1745-1817) (q.v.);
(3) Anne Anwyl (1749-69), baptised 7 April 1749; died unmarried aged 19, 16 January and was buried at Pennal, 20 January 1769;
(4) Susanna Anwyl (1751-68), baptised 15 February 1750/51; died unmarried aged 17, 8 July 1768 and was buried at Pennal, 12 July 1768;
(5) Rev. Maurice Anwyl (1753-1832) (q.v.).
He inherited Llugwy Hall from his father in 1722.
He died 1 June 1783 and was buried at Pennal, 5 June 1783. His widow was buried at Pennal, 13 November 1802.
Anwyl, Evan (1745-1817) of Llugwy. Elder son of Maurice Anwyl (c.1717-83) and his wife Anne, daughter of Hugh Evans of Machynlleth (Montgomerys), baptised 7 November 1745. Apparently the person of this name who was apprenticed to Jeremiah Carr of London, paviour, 1766. He married, 25 April 1774, Margaret Davies (d. 1808), grand-daughter of Jonathan Bunce (c.1700-83) of Glanfraed, Llandre (Cardigans) and had issue:
(1) Maurice Bunce Anwyl (1775-94); died unmarried;
(2) Anna Maria Anwyl (1777-1845), baptised 30 May 1777; married, 25 October 1796, William Hughes of Gogarth (Merioneths) but died without issue; buried 16 January 1845;
(3) Margaretta Anwyl (1780-1803), baptised 20 June 1780; died unmarried, 16 January 1803;
(4) Jonathan Bunce Anwyl (1789-1852) of Llugwy, baptised 19 March 1789; JP and DL for Merionethshire; died unmarried 1 April 1852 aged 63 and was buried at Pennal, 5 April 1852.
He inherited Llugwy Hall from his father in 1783. At his death it passed to his surviving son and then to his nephews, Robert Anwyl (c.1787-1867) and Evan Anwyl (1789-1872) in turn.
He died 4 April 1817 aged 71 and buried at Pennal, 8 April 1817; his will was proved in the PCC, 5 August 1817. His wife died 11 October 1808 and was buried at Pennal, 15 October 1808.
Anwyl, Rev. Maurice (1753-1832). Younger son of Maurice Anwyl (c.1717-83) and his wife Anne, daughter of Hugh Evans of Machynlleth (Montgomerys), baptised 23 March 1753. Educated at Jesus College, Oxford (matriculated 1772; BA 1776). Ordained deacon, 1776 and priest, 1777; curate of Penegoes (Montgomerys), 1776-78; Llanwrin (Montgomerys), 1778-80; Pennal (Merioneths) 1780-1802; Towyn (Denbighs), 1802-05; Vicar of Llangurig (Montgomerys), 1805-32. He married, 19 September 1784, Anne (1756-1819), daughter of ?Charles Lloyd of Shrewsbury (Shrops) and had issue:
(1) Maurice Anwyl (1785-92), baptised 7 August 1785 at Pennal; died aged 6 and was buried 6 July 1792;
(2) Robert Anwyl (1787-1867) (q.v.);
(3) Evan Anwyl (1789-1872) (q.v.);
(4) Anne Anwyl; died in infancy;
(5) Elizabeth Anwyl (1792-1870), born 19 January 1792; died unmarried aged 78, 11 April 1870, and was buried at Pennal, 16 April 1870;
(6) Catherine Anwyl (1794-1823), born 27 July 1794; died unmarried aged 27 and was buried at Pennal, 30 June 1823;
(7) Charles Anwyl (1799-1828), baptised 23 July 1799; died unmarried in London, 8 October and was buried at Pennal, 22 October 1828;
He died 12 April 1832 aged 79 and was buried at Pennal, 27 April 1832. His wife died 16 July 1819 aged 63 and was buried at Pennal, 19 July 1819.
Anwyl, Robert (1787-1867) of Llugwy. Eldest surviving son of Rev. Maurice Anwyl (1753-1832) and his wife Anne, daughter of Charles Lloyd of Shrewsbury (Shrops), baptised 14 July 1787. Warehouseman in London, at first in partnership with his younger brother (dissolved 1830) and later on his own. He was unmarried and without issue.
He inherited Llugwy Hall from his uncle in 1852.
He died 21 June 1867, aged 80.
Anwyl, Evan (1789-1872) of Llugwy. Second surviving son of Rev. Maurice Anwyl (1753-1832) and his wife Anne, daughter of Charles Lloyd of Shrewsbury (Shrops), born 10 September 1789. Warehouseman in London, at first in partnership with his elder brother (dissolved 1830) and later on his own. He married, 17 May 1836 at St Stephen, Coleman St., London, Jemima (1815-88), daughter of William Morgan of Brynallys (Montgomerys) and had issue:
(1) Maurice Anwyl (b. & d. 1837), born 10 March and baptised 23 April 1837 at St Stephen, Coleman St, London; died aged 5 months and was buried 8 September 1837 at St Giles without Cripplegate, London;
(2) Evan Anwyl (1838-41), baptised at Holy Trinity, Islington (Middx), 12 September 1838; died aged 2 and was buried at St Giles without Cripplegate, London, 8 July 1841;
(3) Anne Anwyl (1840-1935), baptised 7 June 1840 at St Stephen, Coleman St., London; died unmarried, 27 September 1935, aged 95; will proved 25 February 1936 (estate £1,367);
(4) William Anwyl (1842-56), born 27 February and baptised 24 April 1842 at St Stephen, Coleman St., London; died unmarried, 17 August 1856, aged 14;
(5) Jemima Anwyl (1844-1931), baptised 30 June 1844 at St Stephen, Coleman St., London; married, 12 August 1884 at Stanford-le-Hope (Essex), William Harman (1849-1923), tea planter, son of Ezekiel Dickinson Harman, gent; died without issue at Llwynon, Pennal (Merioneths), 23 March 1931, aged 86; will proved 30 June 1931 (estate £6,420);
(6) Elizabeth Louisa Anwyl (1847-1938), baptised 8 August 1847 at St Stephen, Coleman St., London; died unmarried, 11 March 1938 aged 90; will proved 16 November 1938 (estate £988);
(7) Robert Charles Anwyl (1849-1933) (q.v.);
(8) Catherine Winifred Anwyl (1851-1945), born 9 November 1851 and baptised 6 June 1852 at St Stephen, Coleman St., London; died unmarried, 11 June 1945 aged 93; will proved 1 August 1947 (estate £3,195);
(9) Maria Florence Anwyl (1855-75), baptised 29 May 1855 at St Matthew, Brixton (London); died unmarried of congestion of the lungs, 6 June 1875, aged 20.
He lived and worked in London until his brother inherited Llugwy Hall in 1852, and thereafter lived at Llwynon on the estate until he in turn inherited Llugwy in 1867.
He died of bronchitis, 18 January 1872, aged 83; his will was proved 24 February 1872 (effects under £6,000). His widow died 5 October 1888 aged 73; a grant of administration of her goods was issued 9 February 1889 (effects £96).
Anwyl, Robert Charles (1849-1933) of Llugwy. Only surviving son of Evan Anwyl (1789-1872) and his wife Jemima, daughter of William Morgan of Brynallys (Montgomerys), born 12 July and baptised 4 November 1849 at St Stephen Coleman St., London. Educated at Shrewsbury School. JP and DL for Merionethshire and JP for Montgomeryshire; Lt. in Montgomeryshire Yeomanry Cavalry for ten years; High Sheriff of Merionethshire, 1900; County Councillor and later Alderman of Merionethshire; a Director of the Welshpool & Llanfair Railway Co. He married, 25 August 1886 at St George's Hanover Square, London, Harriette (c.1865-1928), daughter of William Hamilton and had issue:
(1) Capt. Maurice Ifan Hamilton Anwyl (1889-1942) (q.v.);
(2) Mary Annesta Anwyl (1887-1980), born 9 October 1887 and baptised 12 February 1888 at Willenhall (Staffs); married, 12 March 1930 at Tezpur, Bengal (India), Douglas Fraser Corson (1890-1978), son of George Corson of Carn Dearg, Gairloch (Ross & Cromarty) and had issue one son; died 10 February 1980; will proved 6 May 1980 (estate £33,324).
He inherited Llugwy Hall from his father in 1872 and rebuilt it c.1891 (the house was void at the time of the 1891 census and he was living nearby).
He died 21 February 1933 aged 83; his will was proved 6 July 1933 (effects £3,880). His wife died 30 September 1928; grants of administration of her effects were made 3 April 1929, 16 July 1931 and 28 February 1949 (estates of £6295, £185 and £2,500).
Anwyl, Capt. Maurice Ifan Hamilton (1889-1942) of Llugwy. Only son of Robert Charles Anwyl (1849-1933) of Llugwy and his wife Harriette, daughter of William Hamilton, born 12 January 1889. Served in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, 1908-21 (2nd Lt, 1909; Lt., 1911; Capt., 1914). He was unmarried and without issue.
He inherited Llugwy Hall from his father in 1933. It was sold to his brother-in-law in 1948 following his death.
He died 3 July 1942; his will was proved 2 December 1942 (estate £29,526 in England & Wales and £156 in Northern Ireland).
Burke's Landed Gentry: the principality of Wales and the North-West, 2005, pp. 33-35; T. Nicholas, Annals and Antiquities of the Counties and County Families of Wales, pp. 699-700; Hemp & Gresham, 'Park, Llanfrothen, and the unit system', Archaeologia Cambrensis, 97 (1943), pp. 97-112; R. Haslam et al, The buildings of Wales: Gwynedd, 2009, pp. 578-79, 683; http://www.stirnet.com/genie/data/british/aa/anwyl1.php#dau1; http://wbo.llgc.org.uk/en/s-ANWY-PAR-1500.html; http://www.coflein.gov.uk/pdf/DCP2013_031/;
Location of archives
Anwyl family of Llugwy: estate and family papers, 1633-1949 [Meirionnydd Record Office, Dolgellau Z/DO]
Coat of arms
Vert, three eagles displayed in fesse or. [This is the same coat of arms as it said was used by Owain, King of Gwynedd.]