Wednesday, 28 May 2014

(124) Amphlett of Hadzor House, Wychbold Hall, Clent House and Four Ashes Hall

Amphlett of Hadzor and Clent
Amphlett of Four Ashes
The Amphletts were a signficant gentry family in north Worcestershire from the early 17th century if not earlier. They appear to have lived at first at Salwarpe and Astley, but in 1633 William Amphlett (1588-1662) bought the manor of Hadzor, which subsequently became their principal seat. William's son, Richard Amphlett (1624-1703) continued the expansion and bought the Clent House estate, where his younger son, Joseph Amphlett (1672-1720) built a new house in about 1709 and established a cadet branch of the family. The family's house at Hadzor may have been the surviving semi-timbered house now known as The Old Manor, but this was replaced by a new building designed by John Yenn for Richard Amphlett (1753-85) in 1779 as a grand seven bay, three storey house which counted among the principal seats in the county. The rebuilding of Hadzor may be said to be the family's high-water mark; in the next generation, for reasons which are obscure, the Rev. Richard Holmden Amphlett (1782-1842) found himself short of funds, and was obliged to sell Hadzor in 1821. A few years later he bought a farmhouse at Wychbold which he extended into a small country house later called Wychbold Hall, but with the loss of Hadzor the family had passed from the county's greater to lesser gentry, and subsequent generations were dependent upon income from a profession (usually the church or the law). Sir Richard Paul Amphlett (1809-83) became a Baron of the Exchequer, and after the reform of the courts, a Lord Justice of Appeal, and was the only member of the family to be knighted. His nephew, Richard Holmden Amphlett (1847-1925), had a long and profitable career as a barrister and sat as a County Court judge in Birmingham for seventeen years at the end of his life.

The Amphletts of Clent were in the happier position of being able to live modestly on their estate and did so into the mid 20th century. Only John Amphlett (1845-1918) pursued a legal career, and he seems at heart to have been more of an antiquary than a lawyer, writing A short history of Clent in 1907 and filling several volumes with local history and genealogical notes.

Two further subsidiary branches of the family became established in the 18th century. Joseph Amphlett (1757-1801), the third son of William Amphlett (1719-68) of Hadzor, built or acquired a four-square gentry house at Tipton (Staffs), which became known as Horseley House. The construction of a canal nearby led to the partial sale of the estate, and his son, Edward Amphlett (1794-1867) became a partner in the ironworks which was built on part of the land; he also had banking interests in Dudley. But in 1845 the ironworks was sold, and with it the house, and subsequent generations of this branch of the family rented or owned various properties in Scotland and Sussex for short periods of time.

Joseph Amphlett (1701-58), the fourth son of William Amphlett (1663-1728) of Hadzor, married Elizabeth Wollaston, the elder daughter and heiress of Thomas Wollaston (d. 1722) of Four Ashes Hall near Enville (Staffs), and their son, Joseph Amphlett (1734-1811) inherited it. He was succeeded by his nephew, Joseph Amphlett Grove (d. 1854), an unmarried solicitor, who altered the house and created a charming garden recorded in a contemporary watercolour.  When he died the estate was bequeathed to a descendant of the Wollastons, the Rev. Charles Dunne (1818-91), who was required to take the name Amphlett. His granddaughter, Leila Blanche Amphlett (1905-93), who never married, was the last of her name to live at Four Ashes, but the house is now owned by her sister's grandson, Stephen Thompson, and so is still in the family.


Hadzor House (now Hadzor Hall), Worcestershire

The present house (which may have been a replacement for a nearby semi-timbered house now called The Old Manor) dates from a rebuilding by John Yenn of 1779 for Richard Amphlett, but was substantially altered and refaced by Matthew Habershon after 1827 for the Birmingham banker, J.H. Galton. 

Hadzor House: entrance front in 1901. Image: Country Life.

Hadzor House: the garden front in the 1840s.

The west-facing entrance front of seven bays and two-and-a-half storeys, with a slightly projecting centre and three bay pediment, is essentially as built for Amphlett; Habershon added the Greek Doric portico and probably the moulded window cornices. In 1859 P.C. Hardwick added a service range to the north, and one bay of this remains as an extra bay on the entrance front.  The garden front faces south and is of five bays, with a taller projecting three-bay centre with Ionic pilasters framing the upper floors. Habershon was apparently superseded about 1835 by Alexander Roos, who had been a pupil of the German architect Schinkel. 

Hadzor House: south front, 2013. Image: © Michael Copeland

Hadzor House from the south-east, showing Roos's single-storey addition. Image: James Allan. Licenced under this Creative Commons licence

Roos was probably responsible for extending the south range with a single storey block with an end bow and a tall square tower with round-arched openings and a small dome with urns. He certainly worked on the interior: the inner hall, with an open-well staircase with an ornate cast-iron balustrade; the drawing room, with an elaborate Pompeiian style grotesque ceiling (for which his design of 1835 survives); and the fine plaster ceilings in the library and saloon, which were restored in 2005-06.  

Hadzor House: the saloon, redecorated by Alexander Roos in the late 1830s and photographed in 1929.

Outside, the formal Italianate layout of the terraced gardens is again by Roos, replacing an earlier formal layout by Habershon of 1831-33, and he no doubt designed the Potsdam-like Dell Pool Shrine, which has a cast iron frame with timber infill, including a pediment and corner columns. The conservatory, which was in a similar style, has been demolished, though parts of its ironwork remained on site in 2007. Already in 1840 there was said to be a "well-wooded park and... tastefully arranged pleasure grounds and gardens", and the Ordnance Map shows Hadzor Wood threaded with woodland walks around a large pool, which is still there, although now badly overgrown. The gardens were at their best when Lady Hindlip lived here at the turn of the 20th century, and they were photographed for Country Life in 1901.


Hadzor House, from the Ordnance Survey 6" map of 1884, showing the formal terraces and woodland garden.

Descent: Thomas Copley (fl. 1606-33), sold 1633 to William Amphlett; to son, Richard Amphlett (1624-1703); to son, John Amphlett (1657-1705); to nephew, Richard Amphlett (d. 1743); to son, William Amphlett (d. 1768); to son, William Amphlett (d. 1776); to brother, Richard Amphlett (d. 1785), who built the new house; to son, Rev. Richard Holmden Amphlett (1782-1842), who sold 1821 to John Howard Galton (1794-1862); to son, Theodore Howard Galton (1820-81); to son, Hubert George Howard Galton (1854-1928), who rented the house to Lady Hindlip and her son, Frederick Ernest Allsopp, c.1901; to brother, Rev. Charles Sigismund Galton SJ (1860-1936); who sold 1930... Micropore International; sold 2003 to Neil Grinnall who restored the house which is now for sale.


Wychbold Hall, Worcestershire


After Rev. Richard Holmden Amphlett sold Hadzor Hall in 1821 he bought an old farmhouse at Wychbold in 1825, which he restored and extended. The house was at first called New Hall, but was Wychbold Hall by the 1840s.  The house had an entrance front of two storeys, with full-height canted bay windows at either end and two bays between them, and with a central wrought iron porch. A left hand wing ran back from the entrance front to a taller two-storey block at the rear of the house, and there was a large service wing to the right of the entrance front. 


Wychbold Hall, from the Ordnance Survey 6" map of 1884

In the early 20th century, the house began to be seriously affected by subsidence caused by the pumping out of salt from workings at Droitwich and Stoke Prior, and it gradually slipped sideways as a result; on one occasion, movement overnight was so severe that the owner could not get out of his bedroom until a carpenter had been summoned to release the door! After the death of Mrs. Sophia Amphlett in 1936, her grandson decided that the house was beyond repair and demolished it.  To replace it, he chose a new site in the park where there was no underground water, laid a substantial concrete raft, and built a seven bay neo-Georgian house on it to the design of Guy Pemberton in 1937.  This new house had a short life, however. The Amphletts found it increasingly hard to make ends meet during and after the Second World War, and in1955-56 Richard Amphlett sold the estate. The house found a buyer, but remained unoccupied, and gradually slipped into dereliction. It was finally demolished in December 1995.

Descent: Rev. Richard Holmden Amphlett (1782-1842); to widow, Jane Amphlett (d. 1861); to stepson, Rt. Hon. Sir Richard Paul Amphlett (1809-83); to nephew, Richard Holmden Amphlett (1847-1925); to widow, Sophia Amphlett (d. 1936); to grandson, Rev. Richard John Marshall Amphlett (1913-78), who sold 1955/6.


Clent House, Worcestershire


Clent House from the Ordnance Survey 6" map, 1884

Richard Amphlett acquired land at Clent in the mid 17th century and in 1666 was living in a house (perhaps on the site of the later Clent House) which was taxed on six hearths. In the early 18th century his son, Joseph Amphlett, built a new house, which was extended in the late 18th century and demolished in 1936. The eleven-bay stables dated 1709 survive and were in 1955 converted into a house, which has been extended and altered later. They are of plum-red brick with stone quoins and prominent acanthus keystones, and have a three-bay centre with a steep pediment and open cupola.  Other survivals are the walled garden to the east and the square brick dovecote to the west.  A mid Victorian Jacobethan gate lodge has been demolished.


Clent House: the present house is the much converted stable block of the original house.

Descent: Richard Amphlett (1624-1703); to son, Joseph Amphlett (1672-1720); to son, John Amphlett (b. 1704); to son, John Amphlett (1736-77); to son, John Amphlett (1763-1844); to grandson, John Amphlett (1820-68); to son, John Amphlett (1845-1918); to son, John Amphlett (1872-1949), who broke up the estate and demolished the house in 1936.


Four Ashes Hall, Enville, Staffordshire


In origin, this is a late 17th century house built by Henry Wollaston, who came from a family of Staffordshire tanners. The house passed by marriage to the Amphletts in 1722 and in about 1760 the family built a grand new classical stable block which was intended to be the first stage of a major redevelopment of the house, paid for by Thomas Amphlett's employment in the East India Company.  Unfortunately, Thomas was murdered in India in 1763, and plans for a grandl rebuilding were abandoned.  


Four Ashes Hall: stable block of c.1760. Image: Stephen Thompson.


Four Ashes Hall in the mid 19th century. Image: Stephen Thompson.

In 1811 the house was inherited by Joseph Amphlett Grove, a local solicitor, who seems to have undertaken a more modest updating of house, adding a new library in 1830, and surrounding the house with trellises and verandas in the Gardenesque style in 1827. 


Four Ashes Hall, from an old postcard.


The next generation were more radical, and the Rev. Charles Amphlett employed James Cranston to design a new service wing, and remodel the rest of the house, creating the two large bay windows in the picture, which face south-east, and restyling the entrance front in a neo-Jacobean manner with tall dormer windows and moulded chimneystacks.  In the 20th century the house entered a long decline, and when the current owner, Stephen Thompson, was given the house in 1997 it was in very poor condition. He is working hard to restore the house and grounds, and documenting progress with the project on his website.



The gardens at Four Ashes extend to some seven acres.  The earliest elements of their present form seem to date from the late 18th century, when a cold bath house (now ruined and awaiting restoration) is thought to have been built. Joseph Amphlett Grove laid out the gardens in the Gardenesque style in the early 19th century, and a contemporary watercolour (above) shows how pretty they were at this time.  The gardens were further developed in the 19th century, and in 1921 when the Rev. George Le Strange Amphlett inherited and moved the topiary from his rectory garden at Earls Croome (Worcs).



Four Ashes Hall: a recent aerial view showing the house set in its 7 acre grounds. Image: Stephen Thompson

Descent: Henry Wollaston; to son, Thomas Wollaston (1668-1722); to daughter, Elizabeth (1706-58), wife of Joseph Amphlett (1703-58); to son, Joseph Amphlett (1734-1811); to nephew, Joseph Amphlett Grove (d. 1854); to distant kinsman, Rev. Charles Dunne (later Amphlett) (1818-91); to son, Maj. Charles Grove Amphlett (1862-1922); to brother, Rev. George Le Strange Amphlett (1868-1944); to daughter, Leila Blanche Amphlett (1905-93); to nephew, Edward Martin Amphlett Thompson (b. 1933) of Gatacre Park; given 1997 to son, Stephen Peter Thompson (b. 1960).




Amphlett family of Hadzor House and Wychbold Hall



Amphlett, William (1588-1662), of New Inn, London and Hadzor. Son of William Amphlett (d. 1625) of Salwarpe (Worcs), born 1588. He married, 18 December 1614, Frances (1587-1667), daughter of John Sparry of Clent and had issue:
(1) William Amphlett (b. 1620), baptised 5 June 1620; died in the lifetime of his father;
(2) Richard Amphlett (1624-1703) (q.v.);
(3) Frances Amphlett (fl. 1660); married Henry Cocks (fl. 1663) of Hindlip (Worcs), son of John Cocks of Claines (Worcs).
He acquired the manor of Hadzor in 1633.
He died in 1662.

Amphlett, Richard (1624-1703), of Hadzor and Clent House. Only son of William Amphlett (fl. 1614) of Hadzor and his wife Frances, daughter of John Sparry of Clent, baptised 30 March 1624. High Sheriff of Worcestershire, 1678. He married, 10 February 1647, Anne, daughter of Edward Cookes of Bentley Pauncefoote (Worcs) and had issue:
(1) Mary Amphlett (d. 1669); died unmarried and was buried 29 April 1669;
(2) Frances Amphlett (b. 1650/1), baptised 5 March 1650/1; married John Doughty.
(3) Elizabeth Amphlett (1654/5-1738), baptised 24 January 1654/5; married, 24 November 1681, Robert Clive of Styche Hall (Shropshire) and had issue four sons and four daughters; died 9 September 1738;
(4) John Amphlett (1656-1705) of Hadzor (q.v.);
(5) Dorcas Amphlett (1658-1729), baptised 10 May 1658; married, 24 November 1681 at Clent, John Hunt of Mollington (Cheshire) and Grays Inn, barrister-at-law and had issue two sons and four daughters; her portrait is at Lanhydrock House (Cornwall); buried at St Mary, Chester, 30 July 1729;
(6) William Amphlett (1663-1728) of Astley (Worcs) (q.v.)
(7) Joseph Amphlett (1672-1720) of Clent House (q.v.) [see Amphlett of Clent House below]
He inherited Hadzor and probably land at Astley from his father, and acquired the Clent House estate.
He was buried 25 November 1703; his will was proved in PCC, 17 February 1703/4.

Amphlett, John (1656-1705), of Hadzor.  Eldest son of Richard Amphlett (1624-1703) of Hadzor and Clent House and his wife Anne, daughter of Edward Cookes of Bentley Pauncefoote, born 10 October 1656. He married, 18 June 1685, Lucy (d. 1733), daughter of Humphrey Perrott of Bell Hall, Belbroughton (Worcs), but had no issue.
He inherited Hadzor from his father in 1703.  At his death it passed to his nephew, Richard Amphlett (d. 1743).
He died 16 June 1705. His widow married 2nd, 6 April 1708 at Old Swinford (Worcs), John Egginton, and was buried at Clent, 24 December 1733.

Amphlett, William (1663-1728), of Woodhampton House, Astley.  Second son of Richard Amphlett (1624-1703) of Hadzor and Clent House and his wife Anne, daughter of Edward Cookes of Bentley Pauncefoote, baptised 3 January 1663/4. High Sheriff of Worcestershire, 1717, 1720.  He married, 30 January 1686 at Himley (Staffs), Anne (1660/1-1727), daughter of Rev. Thomas Janns of Sedgeley and had issue:
(1) Richard Amphlett (1688/9-1743) (q.v.); 
(2) Rev. John Amphlett (1693-1731), baptised September 1693; educated at Balliol College, Oxford (matriculated 1710; BA 1713; MA 1716); vicar of Halesowen (Worcs), 1719; died unmarried, 16 December 1731 and was buried at Astley where he is commemorated by a monument; will proved 20 December 1731;
(3) William Amphlett (1696-1734), born 2 September 1696; administration of goods granted 15 August 1734;
(4) Joseph Amphlett (1701-58) (q.v.) [see Amphlett of Four Ashes Hall below]
(5) Thomas Amphlett (1703-69); married Anne Perkins of Worcester and had issue; died, 10 August 1769 and was buried at Hadzor where he is commemorated by a monument;
(6) Anne Amphlett (fl. 1699-1742); married Rev. Thomas Bell (1687-1742), rector of Quatt (Shropshire) and had issue one son;
(7) Frances Amphlett (fl. 1699).
He died 20 March 1727/8 and was buried at Astley (Worcs); his will was proved 21 May 1728. His wife died 27 June 1727.

Amphlett, Richard (1688/9-1743), of Hadzor. Eldest son of William Amphlett (1663-1728) of Astley and his wife Anne, daughter of Rev. Thomas Janns of Sedgeley. He married 1st, Sarah (1691/2-1729), daughter of Charles Hyett of Almeley (Herefs), and 2nd, Mary [surname unknown] (d. 1744/5), and had issue:
(1.1) Susannah Amphlett (b. 1716), baptised 21 February 1716; married, 5 February 1750 at Worcester, John Shaw of Richmond;
(1.2) Ann Amphlett (b. 1717), baptised 28 February 1717; married, 18 September 1746, John Kyrewood of Letton Court and had issue two sons;
(1.3) William Amphlett (1719-68) (q.v.);
(1.4) Mary Amphlett (b. 1721), baptised 19 October 1721
(1.5) Frances Amphlett (1722-34); died aged 12, 20 August 1734.
He inherited Hadzor from his uncle in 1705.
He died 13/15 June 1743 and was buried at Hadzor, where he is commemorated by a monumental inscription. His first wife died 29 March 1729. His second wife survived him and died in 1744/5; her will was proved 23 March 1744/5.

Amphlett, William (1719-68), of Hadzor. Only son of Richard Amphlett (d. 1743) of Hadzor and his first wife, Sarah, daughter of Charles Hyett of Almeley (Herefs), baptised 9 July 1719. Educated at Merton College, Oxford (matriculated 1736). High Sheriff of Worcestershire, 1745. He married, 15 June 1750, Christian (1734/5-1807), daughter of John Amphlett of Clent (q.v.) and had issue including:
(1) William Amphlett (1751-1776) (q.v.);
(2) Mary Amphlett (b. 1752), baptised 13 August 1752; probably died in infancy;
(3) Richard Amphlett (1753-85) (q.v.);
(4) Christian Amphlett (b. 1755), baptised 2 February 1755; probably died in infancy;
(5) Rev. John Amphlett (1756-1834), baptised 25 January 1756; educated at Worcester College, Oxford (matriculated 1774; BA 1778; MA 1781; BD 1790; DD 1791); ordained deacon, 1778 and priest, 1780; rector of Hadzor, 1780-1808; vicar of Dodderhill, 1789-1834 and rector of Hampton Lovett, 1814-34; married 1st, Catherine, daughter of Morgan Graves of Mickleton (Glos) (b. 1751) and had issue one son; married 2nd, 22 May 1788, Elizabeth Frances, daughter of Aubrey Bourne/Barnes of Monmouth, and had issue four sons and three daughters; died 26 June 1834;
(6) Joseph Amphlett (1757-1801) of Horseley House (q.v.) [see Amphlett of Horseley House below];
(7) Charles Amphlett (b. 1758), baptised 4 June 1758; probably died in infancy;
(8) Charlotte Amphlett (1761-1826), baptised 8 August 1761; died unmarried, October 1826;
(9) Edward Amphlett (b. 1763), baptised 3 April 1763; probably died in infancy;
(10) Harriet Amphlett (b. 1765), baptised 30 January 1765; married Capt. John Edwards; living in 1801;
(11) Rev. Martin Amphlett (1767-1833), baptised 1 August 1767; articled clerk of William Cardale of Grays Inn, 1789, but apparently abandoned a legal career and was educated at Worcester College, Oxford (matriculated 1790; BA 1794); ordained deacon, 1794 and priest, 1796; rector of Ryhall with Essendine (Rutland), 1807-34; married, 1807 at Eardisley (Herefs), Peggy (d. 1834), daughter of Rev. J. Bourne; died at Stamford, 26 December 1833, and was buried at Ryhall where there is an inscription to his memory.
He inherited Hadzor from his father in 1743. After his death it passed in turn to his two eldest sons.
He died 20 November 1768; his will was proved 3 September 1769. His widow married 2nd, 26 April 1772 at Droitwich (Worcs), Thomas Holbeche (b. c.1730), and had further issue one son and one daughter; she died 2 July 1807.

Amphlett, William (1751-76), of Hadzor. Eldest son of William Amphlett (d. 1768) of Hadzor and his wife Christian, daughter of John Amphlett of Clent, baptised 11 April 1751. Educated at Merton College, Oxford (matriculated 1768). He was unmarried and without issue.
He inherited Hadzor from his father in 1768; at his death it passed to his next surviving brother, Richard Amphlett (1753-85).
He died 28 July 1776.

Amphlett, Richard (1753-85), of Hadzor. Second son of William Amphlett (d. 1768) of Hadzor and his wife Christian, daughter of John Amphlett of Clent, baptised 4 November 1753. High Sheriff of Worcestershire, 1779. He married, 20 May 1778, Lydia (d. 1831), daughter and co-heiress of John Holmden of Crowle (Worcs) and had issue:
(1) Lydia Amphlett (1779-1831), baptised 17 January 1779; married, 28 July 1814, Ven. Prof. John Banks Hollingworth (1780-1856), Norrisian Professor of Divinity at Cambridge, 1824-38 and Archdeacon of Huntingdon, 1828-56 (who married 2nd, 12 April 1836, Mary Ann, daughter of John Tabor); died in Cambridge, 24 March 1831.
(2) Rev. Richard Holmden Amphlett (1782-1842) (q.v.);
He inherited Hadzor House from his elder brother in 1776 and rebuilt it in 1779 to the designs of John Yenn.
He died in London, 16 September 1785. His widow died in 1831; her will was proved 5 November 1831.

Amphlett, Rev. Richard Holmden (1782-1842), of Hadzor and Wychbold Hall. Only son of Richard Amphlett (d. 1785) of Hadzor House, and his wife Lydia, daughter and co-heiress of John Holmden of Crowle (Worcs), baptised 16 August 1782. Educated at University College, Oxford (matriculated 1800; BA 1805; MA 1807); ordained deacon, 1804 and priest, 1806. Rector of Hadzor, 1808 and Birlingham, 1812. He married 1st, 15 January 1807, Sarah (d. 1823), daughter of Nathaniel Paul of London, and 2nd, 1 or 10 February 1827 at Malvern Priory Church, Jane (1785-1861), daughter of Thomas Dudley of Himley (Staffs), and had issue:
(1.1) Sarah Lydia Amphlett (1807-86), born 23 December 1807; died unmarried, 13 January 1886; will proved 3 February 1886 (estate £7,144);
(1.2) Rt. Hon. Sir Richard Paul Amphlett (1809-83) (q.v.);
(1.3) William Woodfield Amphlett (1811-12), born 23 August 1811; died in infancy and was buried at Hadzor, 28 February 1812;
(1.4) Samuel Holmden Amphlett (1812-57) (q.v.);
(1.5) Canon Martin Amphlett (1815-86), born 22 August and baptised 19 October 1815; rector of Church Lench (Worcs) 1844-86 and canon of Worcester Cathedral, 1881-86; died without issue at Llandudno, 13 August and was buried at Church Lench, 18 August 1886; will proved 9 October 1886 (estate £20,223);
(1.6) Charles Amphlett (1816-49), born 21 July and baptised 17 September 1816; died without issue, 24 October and was buried at Hadzor, 1 November 1849;
(1.7) Louisa Amphlett (1818-67), born 30 June and baptised 1 September 1818; died unmarried, 28 March 1867 and was buried at Plymouth burial ground, Great Malvern;
(1.8) Julia Amphlett (1820-64), born 12 December 1820 and baptised 28 January 1821; married, 13 June 1844, Rev. Benjamin Davis (1809-96), rector of Cleeve Prior (Worcs) and had issue six sons and five daughters; died at Boulogne (France), 27 November 1864;
(1.9) Lt. William Amphlett (1823-52), born 5 May and baptised 26 June 1823; Lieutenant in Royal Navy; died 3 April 1852;
(2.1) Jane Amphlett (1827-59), born 31 December 1827; married, 5/6 October 1858, Rev. John Henry Whiteley (1827-1901), rector of Pedmore (Staffs); died without issue, 10 October 1859;
(2.2) Elizabeth Amphlett (1830-1908), born 15 and baptised 21 January 1830; died unmarried, 9 July 1908; will proved August 1908 (estate £22,730).
He inherited Hadzor House from his father in 1785 but sold it. In 1825 he bought and altered Wychbold Hall (then called New Hall), which he left to his widow for life.
He died 8 March and was buried at Hadzor, 15 March 1842; his will was proved in PCC, 2 April 1842. His first wife died 24 June 1823. His widow died 13 November 1861; her will was proved 21 December 1861 (estate under £7,000).

Amphlett, Rt. Hon. Sir Richard Paul (1809-83), of Wychbold Hall. Eldest son of Rev. Richard Holmden Amphlett (1782-1842) of Hadzor and Wychbold Hall, and his first wife, Sarah, daughter of Nathaniel Paul of London, born 24 May 1809. Educated at Brewood Grammar School (Staffs), Peterhouse, Cambridge (BA 1831; MA 1834; Fellow, 1833 and Hon. Fellow, 1883) and Lincolns Inn (called to bar 1834; QC and bencher, 1858); barrister-at-law on the Oxford Circuit; DL and JP for Worcestershire and Vice-Chairman of Quarter Sessions, 1866-74; MP for East Worcestershire, 1868-74; Serjeant-at-Law and President of the Legal Education Association, 1873; a Baron of the Exchequer, 1874-76 and a Lord Justice of Appeal, 1876-77 (retired after having a paralysing stroke); Knight Bachelor, 27 January 1874; appointed to the Privy Council, 1876. He married 1st, 2 December 1840, Frances (1811-79), only daughter and heiress of Edward Ferrard of St. Ives, Bingley (Yorks) and 2nd, 22 April 1880, Sarah Amelia (d. 1913), daughter of C.W. Martin of Latimers (Hants) and had issue:
(1.1) William Ferrand Amphlett (1845-46), born 19 January and baptised 7 July 1845; died in infancy, 17 February and was buried at Hadzor 24 February 1846.
He inherited Wychbold Hall after the death of his mother in 1861. At his death he was succeeded by his nephew, Richard Holmden Amphlett.
He died in London, 7 December 1883 and was buried at Hadzor; his will was proved 2 February 1884 (estate £31,176). His first wife died 22 August 1879. His widow married 2nd, 29 June 1904, Bryan Holme Holme of Paull Holme (Yorks) and died 2 October 1913.

Amphlett, Dr. Samuel Holmden (1812-57).  Third son of Rev. Richard Holmden Amphlett (1782-1842) of Hadzor and Wychbold Hall, and his first wife, Sarah, daughter of Nathaniel Paul of London, born 27 November 1812 and baptised 29 January 1813. Surgeon to Birmingham General Hospital. He married, 5 March 1844, Mary Georgiana (1810-80), daughter of George Edward Male MD and had issue:
(1) Eliza Amphlett (1844-1921), born 15 December 1844 and baptised 17 January 1845; died unmarried, 15 July 1921;
(2) Richard Holmden Amphlett (1847-1925) (q.v.);
(3) Dr. Edward Amphlett (1848-80), of London, born 20 October 1848; after several years as a midshipman in the Royal Navy he was educated at Peterhouse, Cambridge (matriculated 1867; BA 1871; MA 1874, MB 1877); House Surgeon and resident Obstetrician at Guy's Hospital, London; FRCS 1877; Assistant Surgeon at Charing Cross Hospital; Demonstrator of Surgical Pathology at Charing Cross Hospital Medical School; also Assistant Surgeon at the Central London Ophthalmic Hospital; practised at 40, Weymouth Street, Portland Place, London, and devoted himself particularly to diseases of the eye, which he had studied at Vienna; died unmarried and without issue, 9 September 1880; grant of administration made 11 December 1880.
He died 28 January 1857; his will was proved 2 May 1857. His widow died 7 November 1880.

Amphlett, His Honour Richard Holmden (1847-1925), of Wychbold Hall. Elder son of Samuel Holmden Amphlett (1812-57) and his wife Mary Georgiana, daughter of Dr. George Edward Male of Birmingham, born 24 April 1847. Educated at Eton, Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1866; BA 1870; MA 1873) and Lincolns Inn (admitted 1868; called to bar, 1871; bencher 1903), barrister-at-law on the Oxford Circuit; appointed QC 1896; Recorder of Worcester, 1891-1908; County Court judge at Birmingham, 1908-25; Vice-Chairman of Worcestershire Quarter Sessions, 1892-1925; described as a sound lawyer who paid special attention to the subject of imprisonment for debt, drew up a new scale of means and thus made a considerable reduction in the number of imprisoned debtors in the Birmingham district. He helped to found a Worcestershire County Ratepayers' Association, of which he was first president. He married, 14 July 1877 at St James, Sussex Gardens, Paddington (Middx), Sophia Emily (1851-1936), daughter of Richard Shapter QC and had issue:
(1) Frances Mary Amphlett (1878-1933) of Harrogate (Yorks), born 4 July and baptised 2 August 1878; died unmarried, 15 November 1933; will proved 10 January 1934 (estate £36,815);
(2) Lt. Richard Ferrand Amphlett (1879-1917) (q.v.);
(3) Sophia Evelyn Amphlett (1880-1908), born 6 November and baptised 3 December 1880; married, 1907, John Harvey; died 16 June 1908;
(4) Rev. Edward Paul Amphlett (1884-1922), born 10 February and baptised 12 March 1884; educated at Bromsgrove and Worcester College, Oxford; ordained, 1907; curate of Tewkesbury Abbey, 1907; vicar of Walton Cardiff (Glos), 1914-16; vicar of Powick (Worcs), 1916-22; was unmarried; committed suicide by drugging and drowning himself in River Severn, 31 May 1922; will proved 22 August 1922 (estate £15,983);
(5) Edith Clive Amphlett (1890-1976), born 7 May and baptised 1 June 1890; married, 27 April 1918, Eric Shirley Jones MRCS LRCP (d. 1970), only son of Dr. Shirley Jones of Droitwich (Worcs) and had issue two sons and one daughter; died in 1976;
(6) John Holmden Amphlett (1894-95), born 24 November 1894 and baptised 13 January 1895; died in infancy, 5 May 1895 and was buried at Wychbold, 8 May 1895.
He inherited Wychbold Hall from his uncle in 1883. At his death it passed to his widow and then their grandson, Rev. Richard John Marshall Amphlett (1913-78).
He died 23 November 1925; his will was proved 5 February 1926 (estate £119,956). His widow died 18 February 1936; her will was proved 2 June 1936 (estate £20,789).

Amphlett, Richard Ferrand (1879-1917). Eldest son of Richard Holmden Amphlett (1847-1925) and his wife Sophia Emily, daughter of Richard Shapter QC, born 6 September and baptised 11 October 1879. Educated at Rugby and Oriel College, Oxford; served in WW1 with 8th Battn, Worcestershire Regiment. He married, 30 April 1907 at St Thomas', Washington DC (USA), Mary Blackford (d. 1968), daughter of Fielding Lewis Marshall of Washington DC, and had issue:
(1) Mary Marshall Amphlett (1909-90), born 5 March and baptised 3 April 1909; served in WW2 as Flying Officer, RAF; County Secretary of Worcestershire Boy Scouts 1946-68 and Girl Guides, 1951-69; member of House of Laity of Church Assembly; died unmarried, Apr-June 1990;
(2) Richard John Marshall Amphlett (1913-78) (q.v.);
(3) Caroline Gwatkin Amphlett (b. 1915), born 31 March 1915; married, 21 December 1946, James Maynard Cash MC, only son of Rt Rev. William Wilson Cash, bishop of Worcester, and had issue, one son.
He was killed in action at Peronne (France), 5 April 1917; his will was proved 22 September 1917 (estate £8,777). His widow died 30 September 1968, aged 89.

Amphlett, Rev. Richard John Marshall (1913-78). Only son of Richard Ferrand Amphlett (1879-1917) and his wife Mary Blackford, daughter of Fielding Lewis Marshall of Washington DC (USA), born 7 August and baptised 5 December 1913. Educated at Stowe, Oriel College, Oxford and Wycliffe Hall, Oxford; ordained 1938; chaplain to Bishop of Worcester, 1942; chaplain in RAF Volunteer Reserve, 1942-46; rector of Bourton-on-the-Hill (Glos), 1957; hon. Curate at St George, Edgbaston 1966- and chaplain of Hallfield School, 1967-. He married, 6 October 1955, Joan Frances Ruth (1922-2014), daughter of Norman Victor Leslie-Melville of The Thatched House, Cirencester (Glos) and formerly wife of Prof. Norman Henry Gibbs, but had no issue. His wife was founder and headmistress of Croft Hall School, Fairford.
He inherited Wychbold Hall from his grandmother in 1936, but sold it in 1956.
He died in 1978. His widow died 2 December 2014.


Amphlett family of Clent House



Amphlett, Joseph (1672-1720), of Clent House. Third son of Richard Amphlett (1624-1703) of Hadzor and Clent House and his wife Anne, daughter of Rev. Thomas Janns of Sedgeley, baptised 26 April 1672. He married, 4 June 1704 at Hagley (Worcs), Anne (1679-1715), daughter of Brig-Gen. Sir Charles Lyttelton, 3rd bt., of Frankley (Worcs) and had issue including:
(1) John Amphlett (b. 1704/5-40) (q.v.);
(2) Anna Maria Amphlett (b. 1707), baptised 23 August 1707; married Francis Clare (1691-1777) of Clent;
(3) Charles Amphlett (1709-35), born 20 June 1709; died unmarried and was buried 25 June 1735;
(4) Henry Amphlett (1710-41) of Hagley (Worcs), baptised 2 December 1710; died unmarried and was buried 25 April 1741; will proved at Worcester, 10 August 1741;
(5) Thomas Amphlett (1712-59?), born 15 October 1712; perhaps buried at Old Swinford, 25 January 1759;
(6) Rev. Joseph Amphlett (1715-80); educated at Worcester College, Oxford (matriculated 1735; BA 1739; MA 1741; DCL 1750); vicar of Bampton (Oxon), 1757; prebendary of Carlisle Cathedral, 1763-80; married, 19 October 1752, Mary (d. 1780), daughter of John Amson of Leighs and Astbury (Cheshire); died 19 June 1780; will proved 20 July 1780.
He inherited Clent House from his father in 1703 and built a new house c.1709.
He died 27 June 1720; his will was proved in the PCC, 10 November 1720. His wife was buried at Clent, 28 May 1715.

Amphlett, John (1704/5-40), of Clent House. Elder son of Joseph Amphlett (1672-1720) of Clent House and his wife Anne, daughter of Brig-Gen. Sir Charles Lyttelton, 3rd bt., of Frankley, baptised 22 March 1704/5. Educated at Hart Hall, Oxford (matriculated 1723). He married Mary (1697-1766), daughter of John Cardale of Dudley (Worcs), surgeon, and widow of Edward Martin of Leigh Court (Worcs) and had issue:
(1) Christian Amphlett (1734/5-1807), born 28 January 1734/5; married 1st, her second cousin, William Amphlett (1719-68) [see above, under Amphlett of Hadzor] and had issue, and 2nd, 26 April 1772, Thomas Holbech of Hill Court, Droitwich (Worcs) and had further issue one son and one daughter; died 2 July 1807;
(2) John Amphlett (1736-77) (q.v.);
(3) Joseph Amphlett (1738-40), baptised 6 December 1738; died in infancy and was buried, 24 May 1740.
He inherited Clent House from his father in 1720.
He died 11 May 1740 and was buried at Clent, 15 May 1740; his will was proved in PCC, 1 August 1741.

Amphlett, John (1736-77), of Clent House. Only son of John Amphlett (1704/5-40) of Clent House and his wife Mary, daughter of John Cardale of Dudley (Worcs) and widow of Edward Martin of Leigh Court (Worcs), born 22 August and baptised 20 September 1736. He married, 17 January 1758 at Droitwich, Mary (b. 1735; fl. 1777), daughter and co-heiress of Thomas Hopwood of Milton (Herefs) and had issue including:
(1) Mary Amphlett (b. 1758; fl. 1780), baptised 30 December 1758; married, 16 November 1778, Henry Cameron (1750-1824), son of Dr. Thomas Cameron of Worcester;
(2) Elizabeth Amphlett (b. 1759), baptised 25 November 1759; married, March 1782, Col. Edmund Andrews, barrack-master at Gibraltar;
(3) Christian Amphlett (b. 1762); married William Wilkinson;
(4) John Amphlett (1763-1844) (q.v.);
(5) Margaret Amphlett (1765-1815), baptised 10 June 1765; married 1st, 29 July 1782 at St James Piccadilly, London, Edward Andrews (d. 1786) of Brook Hill House, Broadclyst (Devon); 2nd, 29 January 1790, John Perrott Noel of Bell Hall and had issue four sons; and 3rd, 16 April 1806, John Gwinnell; buried at St Peter, Worcester, 20 February 1815.
He inherited Clent House from his father.
He died 22 June 1777; will proved 20 September 1777.

Amphlett, John (1763-1844), of Clent House. Only son of John Amphlett (1736-77) of Clent House and his wife Mary, daughter of Thomas Hopwood of Milton (Herefs), baptised 20 November 1763. Educated at Balliol College, Oxford (matriculated 1782). High Sheriff of Worcestershire, 1805. He married, 7 February 1789, Eliza Anne (1770-1837), eldest daughter of Thomas Hill of Dennis near Stourbridge (Worcs) and had issue:
(1) Margaret Amphlett (1790-1839), born 14 April and baptised 6 October 1790; died unmarried and was buried at Clent, 26 April 1839;
(2) Eliza Anne Amphlett (1791-1849), born 7 April and baptised 17 August 1791; died unmarried at Presteigne (Radnors.), March 1849;
(3) Mary Amphlett (1792-1874), baptised 11 October 1792; died unmarried, 20 December 1874 and was buried at Hampton Bishop (Herefs);
(4) Harriet Amphlett (1794-1817); married, 28 May 1816, her cousin, John Perrott Noel (b. 1794) of Bell Hall, Belbroughton (who married 2nd, 7 October 1823, Mary Waldron (1802-40)); died without issue and was buried at Worcester, 21 January 1817, aged 22;
(5) John Amphlett (1795-1826) (q.v.);
(6) Thomas Amphlett (1797-1876), of Odnall Cottage, Clent, born 26 March 1797; educated at Rugby and St John's College, Cambridge (admitted 1815); married Elizabeth (1811-90), daughter of Rev. Edward Dudley, rector of Broome (Worcs), but died without issue, 5 December 1876 and was buried at Clent;
(7) Caroline Amphlett (1799-1865), born 31 October and baptised 3 November 1799; died unmarried, September 1865 and was buried at Titley (Herefs);
(8) Sophia Amphlett (1801-02), baptised 6 May 1801; died in infancy and was buried 31 March 1802;
(9) Louisa Amphlett (1803-75), born 4 March and baptised 7 March 1803; died unmarried, 11 November 1875 and was buried at Hampton Bishop (Herefs).
He inherited Clent House from his father in 1777.
He died 3 June 1844; his will was proved in PCC 10 August 1844. His wife died 25 August 1837.

Amphlett, John (1795-1826). Son of John Amphlett (1763-1844) of Clent House and his wife Eliza Anne, daughter of Thomas Hill of Dennis, born 12 September and baptised 20 September 1795. He married, 5 December 1816 at Shifnal (Shropshire), Eliza (d. 1858), eldest daughter and co-heiress of Benjamin Benyon of Haughton, Shifnal (Shropshire), and had issue:
(1) Eliza Maria Mary Ann Amphlett (1817-82), baptised 22 November 1817; married, 1 February 1862, George Butler; died without issue, 8 January and was buried at Herne Bay (Kent), 12 January 1882; administration of goods granted 30 March 1882 (estate £6,223);
(2) John Amphlett (1820-68) (q.v.).
He lived at Sabrina Cottage, Shrewsbury.
He died in the lifetime of his father, 9 December and was buried at Clent, 15 December 1826; administration of his effects was granted 5 February 1827. His widow died 6 January and was buried at Clent, 14 January 1858.

Amphlett, John (1820-68), of Clent House. Only son of John Amphlett (1795-1826) and his wife Eliza, daughter of Benjamin Benyon of Haughton (Shropshire), born 20 March and baptised at Pedmore (Worcs), 13 April 1820. He married, 18 May 1844 at St Martin in the Fields, London, Jane (1812-88), daughter of Robert Smithson of Skipwith (Yorks), and had issue:
(1) John Amphlett (1845-1918) (q.v.);
(2) Charles Hugh Amphlett (b. & d. 1847), born 19 March and died 8 April 1847;
(3) Jane Elizabeth Amphlett (1849-1903), born 30 December 1849 and baptised 17 February 1850; died unmarried, 21 August and was buried at Stafford, 24 August 1903.
He inherited Clent House from his grandfather in 1844, having lived previously at Sydenham (Kent); he seems to have let the house and lived at Devonshire Villa, Lydney (Glos).
He died at Lydney (Glos), 3 September and was buried at Clent, 8 September 1868; will proved 9 December 1868 (estate under £2,000). His widow died 1 February and was buried at Clent, 4 February 1888; her will was proved 25 April 1888 (estate £366).

Amphlett, John (1845-1918), of Clent House. Only surviving son of John Amphlett (1820-68) and his wife Jane, daughter of Robert Smithson of Skipwith (Yorks), born 22 March and baptised at Sydenham (Kent), 17 April 1845. Educated at Worcester College, Oxford (BA and BCL 1870; MA 1871) and Inner Temple (called to bar 1870); barrister-at-law; JP for Worcestershire; author of A short history of Clent, 1907. He married, 18 August 1869 at Clent, Eliza Anne (1845-1919), only child of Edward Bevin Baylie of Stourbridge (Worcs) and had issue:
(1) John Amphlett (1872-1949) (q.v.);
(2) Eliza Dorothy Amphlett (1874-1966), born 5 August and baptised 9 September 1874; died unmarried, 25 September 1966; will proved 29 December 1966 (estate £26,797);
(3) Capt. Edward Baylie Amphlett (1877-1915), born 15 January and baptised 13 February 1877; educated at Oxford (MA); barrister-at-law; police magistrate for western district of Grenada (West Indies), 1913; served in WW1 as Capt. and Adjutant of 12th Battn, Worcestershire Regiment; and was killed in action at Gallipoli, 4 June 1915; will proved 15 December 1915 (estate in England £217).
He inherited Clent House from his father in 1888.
He died 23 June 1918; will proved 2 September 1918 (estate £15,934). His widow died 14 July 1919; her will was proved 15 January 1920 (estate £4,991).

Amphlett, John (1872-1949), of Clent House. Elder son of John Amphlett (1845-1918) of Clent House and his wife Eliza Anne, daughter of Edward Biven Baylie of Stourbridge (Worcs), born 18 March and baptised 16 April 1872. JP for Worcestershire. He married, 25 August 1915, Florence Kate (d. 1968), daughter of John York and had issue:
(1) John Amphlett (1917-42), born 17 March 1917; educated at Radley and Worcester College, Oxford (BA); served in WW2 as Sergeant Observer in RAF Volunteer Reserve; killed in action, 19 January 1942 and was buried at Honington (Suffolk).
He inherited Clent House from his father in 1918 but sold it in 1936.
He died 26 June 1949; will proved 20 April 1950 (estate £43,248). His widow died 25 May 1968.


Amphlett family of Horseley House



Amphlett, Joseph (1757-1801), of Horseley House.  Third son of William Amphlett (1719-68) of Hadzor and his wife Christian, daughter of John Amphlett of Clent, baptised 3 May 1757. Partner in the Horseley Iron Co. and a bank at Dudley; DL and JP for Staffordshire and JP for Worcestershire. He married 1st, 12 May 1778, Mary (1757/8-84), daughter of Robert Bree of Solihull (Warks) and 2nd, 16 April 1792, Mary Davis (1770-94), daughter of Edward Dixon of Dudley (Worcs) and Ashwood House (Staffs) and had issue:
(1.1) Christiana Mary Amphlett (1779-1840), born 30 September 1779; married, 9 December 1803, Rev. Edward Dudley (1777-1858), rector of Broome (Worcs), son of Thomas Dudley of Alton End (Warks) and had issue; died 1 January 1840;
(2.1) Edward Amphlett (1794-1867) (q.v.).
He acquired Horseley House.
He died 14 January 1801 and was buried at Dudley, where he is commemorated by a monumental inscription; his will was proved 9 April 1801. His first wife died 20 January 1784. His second wife died 21 October 1794.

Amphlett, Edward (1794-1867), of Horseley House and Broome (Worcs). Only son of Joseph Amphlett (1757-1801) of Horseley House and his second wife Mary Davis, daughter of Edward Dixon of Dudley (Worcs) and Ashwood House (Staffs), born 28 September 1794. Educated at Worcester College, Oxford (matriculated 1812). He married, 4 June 1817, Caroline (1794-1872), daughter of Jacob Turner of Park Hall, Kidderminster (Worcs) and had issue:
(1) Mary Amphlett (1818-38), baptised 6 October 1818; died unmarried, 21 June 1838;
(2) Edward Amphlett (1824-87) (q.v.);
(3) Caroline Ann Amphlett (1828-68), born 27 June and baptised 6 July 1828; married, 30 April 1850 at St George's Hanover Square, London, John Todd Naylor (1823-62), of Childwall (Lancs), merchant, but died without issue, 7 September 1868 and was buried in Torquay Cemetery (Devon), 12 September 1868.
He inherited Horseley House from his father in 1801, but sold it with the ironworks in 1845. He lived latterly at 23 Lansdown Place, Cheltenham (Glos).
He died in Cheltenham, 25 February 1867 and was buried in the cemetery there, 2 March 1867; his will was proved 13 March 1867 (estate under £90,000). His widow died at Kilkerran House (Ayrshire), 27 December 1872 and was buried in Cheltenham Cemetery, 2 January 1873.

Amphlett, Edward (1824-87), of Glenbarr (Argylls). Only son of Edward Amphlett (1794-1867) and his wife Caroline, daughter of Jacob Turner of Park Hall, Kidderminster (Worcs), born 25 October and baptised 9 November 1824. Lieutenant in Royal Scots Greys. He married 1st, 19 March 1851 at Cheltenham (Glos), Lavinia Flora Henrietta (1831-71), daughter of Benjamin Cuff Greenhill of Knowle Hall (Somerset) and 2nd, 30 October 1873 at St John's Episcopal Church, Edinburgh, Margaret Louisa Maria (1845-95), daughter of James Brewster of the Bengal Civil Service, and had issue:
(1.1) Helen Mary Flora Amphlett (1852-1906); married, 3 January 1883, Sir John Frederick Bridge, kt, CVO, MusDoc (d. 1924), son of John Bridge and had issue a daughter; died 13 January 1906;
(1.2) Edward Greenhill Amphlett (1853-1930) (q.v.);
(2.1) Caroline Mary Amphlett (1875-1974), born 21 January and baptised 14 March 1875; died unmarried in Hove (Sussex), 1974, aged 99;
(2.2) Katherine Maitland Amphlett (1876-1930), born 7 December 1876 and baptised 21 January 1877; married, 16 September 1911, Capt. William Montague Arnaud Foster (b. c.1886) of 10th Lancers, son of Victor Foster; died without issue, 2 September 1930.
(2.3) Maj. Charles Edward Amphlett MC (1879-1953), born 30 November 1879 and baptised 11 January 1880 at Muckross (Ireland); served in 6th Inniskilling Dragoons; died unmarried, 15 June 1953.
He lived in London and at Glenbarr (Argylls).
He died in Argyllshire, 23 November 1887; will proved 21 December 1887 (estate £76,337). His first wife died 3 April 1871. His widow died 10 October 1895; her will was proved 4 December 1895 (estate £1,338).

Amphlett, Edward Greenhill (1853-1930), of Worthing (Sussex). Only son of Edward Amphlett (1824-87) and his first wife, Lavinia Flora Henrietta, daughter of Benjamin Cuff Greenhill of Knowle Hall (Somerset), born 13 July 1853 and baptised 25 January 1854. Educated at Brasenose College, Oxford (BA 1876; MA 1879) and Lincolns Inn (called to bar, 1879); barrister-at-law; JP for Sussex. He married, 7 February 1882, Amye (1860-1938), daughter of Thomas Broughton Charlton of Chilwell Hall (Notts) and had issue:
(1) Ruth Amye Amphlett (1882-1962), born 22 November 1882; died unmarried, 25 December 1962;
(2) Edward Paul Charlton Amphlett (1885-1969) (q.v.);
(3) Flora Macdonald Maude Amphlett (1893-1921), born 6 June 1893; died unmarried, 10 September 1921.
He died 4 May 1930; his will was proved 4 July 1930 (estate £21,476). His widow died 21 May 1938; her will was proved 9 August 1938 (estate £4,722).

Amphlett, Edward Paul Charlton (1885-1969). Only son of Edward Greenhill Amphlett (1853-1930) of Worthing, and his wife Amye, daughter of Thomas Broughton Charlton of Chilwell Hall (Notts), born 23 March and baptised 7 May 1885. Educated at Clifton College and RMC Sandhurst; Captain in Worcestershire Regiment (served in WW1). He married, 23 January 1917 at St Edmund, Salisbury (Wilts), Margaret Monica Innocent (k/a Minna) (fl. 1972), daughter of Rev. Beauchamp Kerr Warren Kerr-Pearse and widow of Maj. Frederick James Murphy of Ballinacloon (Westmeath), but had no issue.
He died 22 December 1969.


Amphlett family of Four Ashes Hall



Wollaston, Henry (fl. 1660), of Four Ashes Hall. He married Martha [surname unknown] and had issue including:
(1) Thomas Wollaston (1668/74-1722);
(2) Henry Wollaston (1680-1720) of The Grove, whose great-grandson, Rev. Charles Dunne (1818-91), inherited Four Ashes Hall in 1854;
(3) Edward Wollaston (d. 1725).
He built Four Ashes Hall in about 1660.
His date of death is unknown.

Wollaston, Thomas (1668/74-1722), of Four Ashes Hall. Son of Henry Wollaston of Four Ashes Hall, born 1668 or 1674. He married, 28 April 1704 at Wombourn (Staffs), Anne Bourn (d. 1725) and had issue:
(1) Elizabeth Wollaston (1705-83), baptised 2 December 1705; married Joseph Amphlett (1701-58) (q.v.) and had issue; died 11 February 1783 and was buried at Enville (Staffs) where there is an inscription to her memory;
(2) Anne Wollaston (fl. 1722).
He inherited Four Ashes Hall from his father.
He was buried 10 May 1722; his will was proved at Lichfield, 30 May 1722.

Amphlett, Joseph (1701-58), of Four Ashes Hall. Fourth son of William Amphlett (1663-1728) of Hadzor and his wife Anne, daughter of Rev. Thomas Janns of Sedgeley, baptised at Astley, 20 October 1701. He married 1st, Mary, daughter of William Grove of Halesowen and 2nd, 8 September 1726 at Kemberton (Shropshire), Elizabeth (1706-83), daughter of Thomas Wollaston and had issue:
(2.1) twin, Mary Amphlett (b. 1727), baptised at Enville, 27 August 1727;
(2.2) twin, Anne Amphlett (1727-34), baptised at Enville, 27 August 1727; died young and was buried 22 March 1734;
(2.3) William Amphlett (1729-50), baptised at Enville, 24 April 1729; died in 1750;
(2.4) Elizabeth Amphlett (b. 1730), baptised 23 January 1730; died in infancy;
(2.5) Elizabeth Amphlett (b. 1732), baptised 12 April 1732; married, 11 May 1761/2 at Enville, James Grove and had issue a son (Joseph Amphlett Grove (d. 1854) (q.v.);
(2.6) Joseph Amphlett (1734-1811) (q.v.);
(2.7) Thomas Amphlett (1735/6-63), baptised 1 June 1736; chief engineer and merchant of the East India Company at Calcutta; killed in an uprising at Patna, 3 October 1763; commemorated by a monument in Enville church;
(2.8) Anne Amphlett (1740-1802), baptised at Enville, 24 July 1740; died unmarried and was buried 2 April 1802;
(2.9) Frances Amphlett (1743-83), baptised at Enville, 21 April 1743; died unmarried and was buried at Enville, 25 April 1783;
(2.10) Richard Amphlett (1748-89), baptised at Enville, 16 March 1748; buried at Enville, 6 August 1789.
He inherited Four Ashes Hall in right of his wife from his father-in-law in 1722.
He died 20 January 1758 and was buried at Enville (Staffs); his second wife died 11 February 1783 and was buried at Enville, where there is a monument to their memory. 

Amphlett, Joseph (1734-1811), of Four Ashes Hall. Only son of Joseph Amphlett (1703-58) and his wife Ann, daughter of Thomas Wollaston, baptised at Enville, 4 June 1734. He was unmarried and without issue.
He inherited Four Ashes Hall from his father in 1758. At his death it passed to his nephew, Joseph Amphlett Grove (q.v.).
He died in 1811 and was buried at Enville.

Grove, Joseph Amphlett (c.1765-1854), of Four Ashes Hall. Elder son of James Grove and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Joseph Amphlett (1701-58) of Four Ashes Hall. Solicitor (admitted 1789), who practised from home. He was unmarried and without issue.
He inherited Four Ashes Hall from his uncle in 1811 and added the library in 1830. At his death it passed to his distant kinsman, Rev. Charles Dunne (later Amphlett).
He died 26 May 1854; his will was proved 22 July 1854.

Amphlett (né Dunne), Rev. Charles (1818-91), of Four Ashes Hall.  Younger son of Thomas Dunne of Gatley (Herefs) and Bircher Hall (Herefs) and his wife Ann, daughter of Col. Thomas Smith of Bircher Hall and great-granddaughter of Thomas Wollaston (d. 1722) of Four Ashes Hall, born 25 April 1818. Educated at Rugby and Worcester College, Oxford (matriculated 1838; BA 1842; MA 1869); clerk in holy orders; perpetual curate of Holy Innocents, Tuck Hill (Shropshire), 1869. He changed his name to Amphlett in 1855 on inheriting Four Ashes Hall. He married, 10 April 1855, Lucy Beatrice (c.1830-1907), daughter of Tomkyns Dew of Whitney Court (Herefs) and had issue:
(1) Alice Beatrice Amphlett (1856-64), baptised at Enville, 2 February 1857; died young, 1864;
(2) Lucy Elizabeth Amphlett (1859-1935), born 10 June 1859; married, December 1891, Arthur Tomkyns Dew, son of Rev. Henry Dew of Whitney (Herefs); died without issue, 8 April 1935; will proved 15 June and 15 July 1935 (estate £8,783);
(3) Charles Grove Amphlett DSO (1862-1921) (q.v.);
(4) Mabel Frances Amphlett (1864-1935), born 31 December 1864; married, November 1895, Arthur Edward Lionel Oswell (d. 1931) of Coton Hill Cottage, Shrewsbury; died 29 December 1935; will proved 3 March 1936 (estate £28,238);
(5) Frederick Herbert Wollaston Amphlett (1866-97); educated at Lancing College; gold prospector in Kalgoorlie, Western Australia; died unmarried there, 18 January 1897; will proved 5 February 1897 (estate in England, £301);
(6) Rev. George Le Strange Amphlett (1868-1944) (q.v.).
He inherited Four Ashes Hall from his distant kinsman, Joseph Amphlett Grove, in 1854, altered the house and built a new service wing.
He died 5 March 1891; his will was proved 25 April 1891 (estate £6,350). His widow died 9 March 1907; her will was proved 7 May 1907 (estate £976).

Amphlett, Charles Grove (1862-1921) DSO, of Four Ashes Hall. Eldest son of Rev. Charles Amphlett (né Dunne) and his wife Lucy Beatrice, daughter of Tomkyns Dew of Whitney Court (Herefs), born 8 March and baptised 27 April 1862. Educated at Eton; served in North Staffordshire Regiment, 1884-1902 (Capt., 1893; Major, 1901; retired, 1902); commanded 1st Mounted Infantry Regiment in South African War; awarded DSO 1900. JP for Staffordshire and Shropshire. He was unmarried and without issue.
He inherited Four Ashes Hall from his father in 1891. At his death it passed to his younger brother, George Le Strange Amphlett.
He died 18 August 1921; will proved 11 November 1921 (estate £42,722).

Amphlett, Rev. George Le Strange (1868-1944), of Four Ashes Hall. Third son of Rev. Charles Amphlett (né Dunne) and his wife Lucy Beatrice, daughter of Tomkyns Dew of Whitney Court (Herefs), born 3 September 1868. Educated at Wellington, Magdalen College, Oxford (BA 1890; MA 1894) and Cuddesdon Theological College; ordained deacon, 1892 and priest, 1893. Curate of Watermoor, Cirencester, 1892-1905; rector of Earls Croome and Hill Croome (Worcs), 1905-22. He married, 6 January 1904, Blanche Katherine Adine (d. 1968), elder daughter of Canon Henry William Coventry of Severn Stoke (Worcs) and had issue:
(1) Leila Blanche Amphlett (1905-93) (q.v.);
(2) Ann Elizabeth Amphlett (1907-99) (q.v.);
(3) Justina Alice Amphlett (1908-86), born 22 September 1908; married, 20 April 1938, James Waller Pinney, son of Frederick Wyldbore Digby Pinney of Devereux House, Coleshill (Warks) and had issue; died 27 March 1986.
He inherited Four Ashes Hall from his elder brother in 1921. He was lord of the manor of Earls Croome and patron of the livings of Earls Croome and Tuck Hill (Shropshire).
He died 12 September 1944; his will was proved 10 March 1945 and 14 January 1948 (estate £41,382). His widow died 28 December 1968, aged 99.

Amphlett, Leila Blanche (1905-93), of Four Ashes Hall. Elder daughter of Rev. George Le Strange Amphlett (1868-1944) and his wife Blanche Katherine Adine, daughter of Canon Henry William Coventry of Severn Stoke (Worcs), born 29 October 1905. She was unmarried and without issue.
She inherited Four Ashes Hall, the manor of Earls Croome, and the advowsons of Earls Croome and Tuck Hill from her father in 1944. At her death they passed to her nephew, Martin Thompson.
She died in 1993.

Thompson (né Amphlett), Ann Elizabeth (1907-99). Second daughter of Rev. George Le Strange Amphlett (1868-1944) and his wife Blanche Katherine Adine, daughter of Canon Henry William Coventry of Severn Stoke (Worcs), born 27 January 1907.  She married, 24 September 1930, Sir Edward Walter Thompson (1902-89) of Gatacre Park (Shropshire), son of Albert Edward Thompson of Gatacre Park and had issue:
(1) Edward Martin Amphlett Thompson (b. 1933) (q.v.).
She died in 1999, aged 92.

Thompson, Edward Martin Amphlett (b. 1933). Son of Sir Edward Walter Thompson of Gatacre Park (Shropshire) and his wife Anne, daughter of Rev. George Le Strange Amphlett of Four Ashes Hall. He married, 18 April 1959, Sally Penelope, daughter of Peter Neville Hood and had issue:
(1) Stephen Peter Thompson (b. 1960), born 18 April 1960; married, 2003, Nikola Gitta (b. 1964), daughter of David Jackson of Collingham (Notts);
(2) Mary Jane Thompson (b. 1963), born 29 January 1963;
(3) Sarah Anne Thompson (b. 1965), born 30 March 1965;
(4) Rosemary Claire Thompson (b. 1969), born 21 June 1969.
He inherited Gatacre Park from his father in 1989 and Four Ashes Hall from his aunt, Leila Blanche Amphlett, in 1993. He gave Four Ashes to his son in 1997.
Now living.


Sources

Burke's Landed Gentry, 1972, pp. 20-22; Country Life, vol. x, 1901, pp. 208-12; R. Skerratt, Wychbold before the Motorway, 1988; R. Lockett, A survey of historic parks and gardens in Worcestershire, 1997, pp. 114, 296; T. Mowl, The historic gardens of Worcestershire, 2006, pp. 105-07; A. Brooks & Sir N. Pevsner, The buildings of England: Worcestershire, 2007, 2nd edn., pp. 232, 332-33; http://fourashesestate.com/.


Location of archives


Amphlett family of Clent House: deeds, estate, legal and family papers, 18th-20th cents. [Worcestershire Archive & Archaeology Service, 705:550; 705:63 and 899:118]
Amphlett family of Four Ashes: family papers [in private possession]
Amphlett, John (1845-1918): genealogical and local history collections, 1682-1902 [Worcestershire Archive & Archaeology Service, 705:63, 899:118]; diaries, 1854-1918 [Worcester College Library, Oxford, CCLXXVI]


Coat of arms


Amphlett of Hadzor and Clent: Argent, on a fess between three mascles azure, a cinquefoil or.
Amphlett of Four Ashes: Ermine, two barrulets azure, in chief a cinquefoil sable between two lozenges of the second, and in base a cinquefoil of the third.


Revision & Acknowledgements


This account was first published on 28 May 2014 and updated on 16 May and 9 November 2015 and 26 November 2016. I am most grateful to Nikola Thompson for additional information and corrections and to Michael Copeland for additional illustrations.

4 comments:

  1. Andrew Stainer has emailed me about this account as follows:
    You mention in your blog that Helen Mary Flora Amphlett married Sir Frederick Bridge (organist of Westminster Abbey) and had a daughter - she was my grandmother; I remember her - she died in 1967 when I was 15. I have been looking into my Amphlett forebears recently and was delighted to come across you fascinating information, which I see you have only just posted. Regarding Hadzor House / Hall, I suspect it was all brand new in 1779; about half-a-mile to the south, just off you map, is Hadzor Manor (http://www.homeaway.co.uk/p828367). I assume that this was where William Amphlett lived when he bought the Manor of Hadzor from the Copley family in 1633. It then passed down the generations until Richard inherited it. I note that in 1779, the year the new house was built, he was High Sheriff of Worcestershire, and perhaps he wanted a grander house to match his status. The Amphletts in your blog have, I believe, completely died out now, as far as the male line / surname is concerned. I have various documents and records kept by Edward Greenhill Amphlett ('Ned' as he was known); he was interested in his family history and kept in touch with the various other branches of his family. Thank you for such an interesting piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you posted this on my birthday. I was looking into my family history, my last name is Umphlett

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeh. The name Amphlett (from Wychbold Hall side) has gone but Cash, Jones and Pettigrew continue via the female lines. My grandmother was Edith, daughter of Richard and Sophia Amphlett from WH.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roger Amphlett18 May 2017 at 18:55

    My Grandfather , William Amphlett came from Bromsgrove to South Wales at the turn of the 20th Century . He came with his cousin Baron Amphlett . They were both brick Firers . Their are quite a few of us in this vicinity now . Have found lots of Amphletts in Australia , there is also a big website in America .

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you have any additional information or corrections to offer, or if you are able to help with additional images of the people or buildings in this post.