Lyngford House, Taunton, Somerset
|Lyngford House: west front. Image: Derek Harper. Licenced under this Creative Commons licence.|
A picturesque and rather quirky two storey Tudor Gothic house, the entrance front with distinctive three-storey parapeted turrets set diagonally either side of a canted central porch. The south side has an off-centre broad canted bay, and the east side has a two-bay centre with a raised parapet for emphasis. The house was apparently built c.1844-46, although many elements of the design were distinctly old-fashioned by then. It is built of red sandstone rubble with Bath stone dressings, except for the broad canted bay on the south front, which is of brick. The whole house was no doubt rendered originally, although it had been stripped by 1908. Inside there is a central octagonal stairwell hall with a cantilevered stair and Tudor arch-headed recesses, but the remaining interiors have little of interest. The house has belonged to the local health authority for many years and is now run as a conference and wedding venue.
Descent: Built for John Roy Allen (1799-1875); to son, Charles Jefferys Watson Allen (1832-93); to son, Jefferys Philip Thomas Allen (1867-1917); sold after his death to Stephen Matthews (d. 1929); to widow, Mary Ann Matthews (d. 1937)...Somerset Area Health Authority
Stocklinch Manor, Stocklinch Ottersey, Somerset
|Stocklinch Manor. Image: © Tony Ethridge via Flickr.|
The Jeffereys family owned property at Stocklinch from the 16th century onwards and in 1785 this passed to Jefferys Allen (c.1760-1844), who bought the manorial rights in 1823. Either he or his son, Rev. Charles Jefferys Allen (1796-1875) built the core of the present house in the early 19th century and laid out a small park around it. The large gable with a plaque below it and the three small gables on the south front presumably date from this time. The verandah is presumably a Victorian addition. However, the house has been substantially altered in the 20th century, and its original form is not clear. The low rear wing may be a survivor from the previous building on the site.
Descent: Mary Jefferys (d. 1785); to great-nephew, Jefferys Allen (c.1760-1844); to son, Rev. Charles Jefferys Allen (1796-1875); to nephew, Rev. William Arthur Allen (1833-81); to widow, Florence Annette Allen (1839-1918); to younger daughter, Edith Augusta Allen (1864-1946); to elder sister, Jessie Florence Allen (1862-1959), widow of John Sullivan Luckraft (d. 1901); to daughter, Isabel Florence Luckraft (c.1891-1977), wife of Hugh Ross Perceval-Foster (c.1887-1979); sold after her death.
Gatchell House, Trull, Somerset
|Gatchell House, Trull|
An early 19th century classical house, perhaps built for Jefferys Allan or his tenant, Capt. Webb Stone (d. 1837). It was divided into flats in 1956 but is now a squash and fitness club. An old people's home has been built in the grounds.
Descent: Jefferys Allen (c.1760-1844); to son, Rev. William Jefferys Allen (1800-82); to son, Jefferys Charles Allen (1847-1934), who sold c.1890.
Allen family of Lyngford House, Stocklinch Manor and Gatchell House
Allen, Jefferys (1760-1844), of Stocklinch Manor. Eldest son of Benjamin Allen MP (c.1731-91) of Bridgwater and his wife Ann Jefferys of Stocklinch, baptised 23 January 1761. Educated at Pembroke College, Cambridge (admitted 1778) and Middle Temple (admitted 1781; called to bar, 1788); JP for Somerset; MP for Bridgwater, 1796-1804; Receiver-General for Somerset, 1804; Mayor of Bridgwater, 1805; Recorder of Bridgwater, 1819-41; served in Bridgwater Volunteers (Capt., 1794; Major, 1798; Lt-Col. commanding, 1803, 1808). He married Susan, daughter of H.P. Burlton, and had issue:
(1) Jefferys Thomas Allen (1795-1841), baptised 25 June 1795; educated at Winchester, Trinity College, Cambridge (admitted 1813; BA 1818) and Middle Temple (admitted 1815; called to bar, 1832); Warden of Dulwich College, 1820-41, but an invalid from 1835; died unmarried at Budleigh Salterton (Devon), 29 December 1841 and was buried at Stocklinch, 3 January 1842;
(2) Rev. Charles Jefferys Allen (1796-1875), baptised 9 December 1796; educated at St. Catherine's College, Cambridge (admitted 1819; BA); ordained deacon, 1820 and priest, 1821; rector of Stocklinch (Somerset), 1821-74; expanded the manorial estate by buying freehold property; died unmarried, 4 February 1875 and was buried at Stocklinch, 10 February 1875;
(3) John Roy Allen (1799-1875) (q.v.);
(4) Rev. William Jefferys Allen (1800-82) of Gatchell House (Somerset) (q.v.).
He inherited the estates at Bridgewater, Bawdrip, Wembdon, Stocklinch and Charcombe of his aunt or great-aunt, Mary Jefferys, in 1785; he purchased Stocklinch Manor from Earl Poulett in 1823 and was probably responsible for creating the park there in the 1820s. He also had a house at Lyme Regis. At his death, Stocklinch Manor passed to his second son.
He died 8 or 23 August 1844, aged 84; his will was proved 12 November 1844.
Allen, John Roy (1799-1875), of Lyngford House. Son of Jefferys Allen (1760-1844) and his wife Susan, daughter of H.P. Burlton, baptised 26 September 1799. Educated at Pembroke College, Cambridge (admitted 1817; BA 1821; MA 1825) and Inner Temple (admitted 1821; called to bar 1826); barrister-at-law until 1835; JP for Somerset; Recorder of Bridgwater and Taunton (Somerset) and Andover (Hants). He married, 1831, Lydia Augusta (1810-90), daughter of James Watson of 6 The Circus, Bath and had issue:
(1) Charles Jefferys Watson Allen (1832-93) of Lyngford House (q.v.);
(2) Rev. William Arthur Allen (1833-81), of Stocklinch Manor (q.v.);
(3) James Henry Allen (1834-1906) of Lyme Regis, born 7 March 1834; merchant; married, 29 January 1868, Sarah Barbara, daughter of William Morgan Benett of London, and had issue two sons and three daughters; died 8 August 1906; will proved 25 September 1906 (estate £23,818);
(4) Maj-Gen. John Edward Allen (1835-1909); born 23 August 1835; died unmarried, 27 July 1909; will proved 30 October 1909 (estate £83,233);
(5) Rev. Hunter Bird Allen (1837-1906), born 28 February 1837; educated at Oriel College, Oxford (matriculated 1855); ordained deacon, 1860 and priest, 1861; curate of Stanton Prior, c.1861-68; rector of Colmworth (Beds), 1868-1906; married, 1868, Adelaide Maria (1841-1938), daughter of Rev. John Gladstone, and had issue three sons; died 8 April 1906; will proved 27 June 1906 (estate £23,207);
(6) Etheldreda Augusta Allen (1839-96), born Jan-Mar 1839; married, 1 November 1864, as his second wife, Maj. Ralph S. Allen of Bathampton Manor (1817-87) and had issue five sons and four daughters; died 2 October 1896.
He lived in Wells (Somerset) and later at Gatchell House, Trull (Somerset). He built Lyngford House (completed 1846) near Taunton, which became the family's principal seat.
He died at Weston-super-Mare, 10 March 1875; his will was proved 26 April 1875 (estate under £18,000).
Allen, Col. Charles Jefferys Watson (1832-93) of Lyngford House. Eldest son of John Roy Allen (d. 1882) and his wife Lydia Augusta, daughter of James Watson of Bath, born 18 March 1832. Served in 15th Lancers and as Captain in Scots Greys; Hon. Colonel, 2nd Somerset Rifle Volunteers; JP for Somerset; High Sheriff of Somerset, 1884. He married, February 1866, Martha Anna, eldest daughter of Herman Philippe Rée of Ditton, Torquay (Devon) and had issue:
(1) Jefferys Philip Thomas Allen (b. 1867) (q.v.).
He inherited Lyngford House from his father in 1882.
He died 5 December 1893; his will was proved 7 May 1894 (estate £4,818).
Allen, Jefferys Philip Thomas (1867-1917) of Lyngford House. Only child of Col. Charles Jefferys Watson Allen (1832-93) and his wife Martha Anna, daughter of Herman Philippe Rée of Ditton, Torquay (Devon), born 11 February 1867. Educated at Eton and Trinity Hall, Cambridge (admitted 1885). Served as Captain, West Somerset Yeomanry Cavalry, 1889-97. He married, 15 October 1896, Rose (1869-1947), eldest daughter of Gen. Sir Charles William Dunbar Staveley GCB and had issue:
(1) Violet Frances Allen (1897-1973), born 23 October 1897; married, 20 February 1930, Clement Hugh Weston Wyndham Malet (1877-1972); died without issue, Jan-Mar 1973;
(2) Iris Allen (1900-78), born June 1900; died unmarried, Jan-March 1978;
(3) Myrtle Allen (1903-95), born 31 December 1903; married, 1924, Richard A. Cooper; died July-September 1995;
(4) Charles Jefferys Allen (1905-37), born 31 May 1905; educated at Horris Hill and Bradfield College; lived at Woodlands, Taunton; died at Malpica, Castello Branco, Portugal and was buried there, 24 April 1937; will proved 23 April 1938 (estate £34,545).
He inherited Lyngford House from his father in 1893. It appears to have been sold to Stephen Matthews after his death.
He died 22 February 1917 and was buried at Cheddon Fitzpaine (Somerset); his will was proved 23 July 1917 (estate £15,734). His widow died 24 March 1947 and was buried with her husband.
Allen, Rev. William Arthur (1833-81), of Stocklinch Manor. Second son of John Roy Allen (1799-1875) and his wife Lydia Augusta, daughter of James Watson of Bath, born 13 April 1833. Educated at Exeter College and New Inn Hall, Oxford (matriculated 1852; BA 1861; MA 1866); ordained deacon, 1861 and priest, 1862; curate of Muchelney (Somerset), 1861-64 and Nether Stowey (Somerset), 1864-72; rector of Angersleigh (Somerset), 1873-81. He married, 22 July 1861, Florence Annette (1839-1918), daughter of John C. Warren and had issue:
(1) Jessie Florence Luckraft (née Allen) (1862-1959) (q.v.)
(2) Edith Augusta Allen (1864-1946), born 19 October 1864; died unmarried, 6 August 1946;
(3) John Arthur Gilbert Allen (1867-90), born 12 April 1867; died unmarried, 31 January 1890;
(4) Ralph Oliver Allen (1872-1909), born 17 February 1872; died unmarried, 1 March 1909.
He inherited Stocklinch Manor from his father in 1875; after his death the estate passed in turn to his widow, his younger daughter, and in 1946 to her elder sister.
He died 27 October 1881; his will was proved 13 March 1882 (estate £3,067). His widow died 10 August 1918; her will was proved 27 December 1918 (estate £13,383).
Luckraft (née Allen), Jessie Florence (1862-1959), of Stocklinch Manor. Elder daughter of Rev. William Arthur Allen (1833-81) and his wife Florence Annette, daughter of John C. Warren, born 20 April 1862. She married, 16 June 1888 in Colorado Springs, John Sullivan Luckraft (d. 1901), mining engineer and formerly a Captain in the Royal Navy and had issue:
(1) Isabel Florence Perceval-Foster (née Luckraft) (c.1891-1977); married, 20 April 1927, Hugh Ross Perceval-Foster (c.1887-1979); died 23 May 1977 and was buried at Stocklinch.
She inherited Stocklinch Manor from her younger sister in 1946. After her death the property passed to her daughter, and it was sold following her death in 1977.
She died 5 July 1959 and was buried at Stocklinch, where she is commemorated by a memorial plaque.
Allen, Rev. William Jefferys (1800-82), of Gatchell House, Trull. Fourth and youngest son of Jefferys Allen (d. 1844) and his wife Susan, daughter of H.P. Burlton, born 27 September 1800; educated at Pembroke College, Cambridge (admitted 1821; BA 1825; MA 1830); ordained deacon, 1825 and priest, 1826; curate of Huntspill, 1825; appointed mayor of Bridgwater, 1829, but resigned in December of that year as the Bishop of Bath & Wells felt the office was incompatible with his clerical duties; perpetual curate of Michaelchurch (Somerset), 1851-56 and Trull, 1859-60; retired, 1860; JP for Somerset. He married in Paris (France), 1846, Ellen Susan (d. 1896), daughter of Rev. Henry John Burlton of Exminster (Devon) and had issue:
(1) Jefferys Charles Allen (né Allen, then Allen-Jefferys) (1847-1934) (q.v.).
He probably built Gatchell House, Trull, an early 19th century village house.
He died 15 April 1882; his will was proved 15 May 1882 (estate £29,987). His widow died 22 December 1896.
Allen (né Allen, then Allen-Jefferys), Jefferys Charles (1847-1934), of Gatchell House, Trull. Only son of Rev. William Jefferys Allen (1800-82) of Gatchell House and his wife Ellen Susan, daughter of Rev. Henry J. Burlton of Exminster (Devon), born 24 December 1847; educated at Eton, Trinity College, Cambridge (BA 1871) and Inner Temple (admitted 1869; called to bar, 1872); barrister-at-law on the Western Circuit; JP for Somerset and later Chairman of Ilminster Petty Sessions; Master of Seavington Harriers; member of Royal Dorset Yacht Club. He assumed the additional name Jefferys in 1889 but later dropped it again. He married 1879, Mary, daughter of Thomas James Dawson, decorator, but had no issue.
He inherited Gatchell House, Trull and the manor of Bawdrip from his father in 1882, but dismembered his estate for sale in 1903 and later moved to Atheling House, Fawley (Hants) and to Puckington (Somerset).
He died 18 November 1934, aged 86, after accidentally falling into a domestic fire at Mill House, Upwey (Dorset); a coroner's inquest found that it was accidental death, although there were suspicions of murder. His will was proved 25 January 1936 (estate £11,443) and he left a legacy of £8,000 to the young female companion-secretary in whose house he died.
Burke's Landed Gentry, 1925, p. 18; http://webapp1.somerset.gov.uk/her/details.asp?prn=40491
Location of archives
Allen family of Gatchell House: deeds and estate papers, 1566-1875 [Somerset Heritage Centre DD\CH Boxes 19-20, 44-48]
Coat of arms
None known, although Fairbairn's Book of Crests records that they had the same crest as the Allens of London, whose coat of arms was:
Per fesse sable and or, a pale engrailed counterchanged three talbots passant, of the second collared gules.