|Adderley of Coton|
|Coton Hall in 2002. Image © Geoffrey R. Hood LRPS CPAGB via Images of England|
The medieval manor house of Coton was rebuilt or remodelled by Ralph Adderley after he bought the estate in the later 16th century: his house was a timber-framed building with large gable-ends and a porch. In 1642 the rooms included a hall, dining parlour with a chamber over it, a great chamber and also a gatehouse chamber. This house appears to have survived until the 1780s, when it was replaced by the present building. In the 1770s it was briefly the home of Charles Bowyer Adderley (1743-1826) who lived here with a man named Scott as 'hospitable bachelors' or 'social friends'. It was their custom to indicate when they were in residence by flying a flag from a flagpole on Row hill near the house and to hold parties in a tent on the hill. These parties evidently achieved some local renown and were referred to by Francis Mundy in his poem 'Needwood Forest':
The present building is a rectangular brick house, originally of three storeys, and perhaps retaining an earlier core, built c.1780-90 for Ralph Adderley, the brother of C.B. Adderley. The five bay entrance front has end bays with tripartite windows: these must be a later insertion of the 1820s or 1830s, and it was probably at this time that the house was first stuccoed. The entrance doorcase has columns with reeded capitals and a pediment. Round the corner to the left is the garden front with canted bays at either end framing a two bay centre. Inside the entrance hall opens into a staircase hall with contemporary staircase. The house seems to have been let after the Adderleys acquired Barlaston Hall by marriage in 1816, and was certainly let by 1834. For another illustration, see here. The top storey was removed after a fire in the late 1940s.
|Barlaston Hall since restoration. Image: Peter I. Vardy. Licensed under a Creative Commons licence|
|Barlaston Hall: the library before restoration. Image: Christopher Dalton for SAVE|
|Entrance front of Tunstall Hall in 1989. © Nicholas Kingsley. |
Licensed under a Creative Commons licence
An austere nine by four bay three storey red brick house built c.1732 for William Church, perhaps to the designs of Francis Smith. The house is crowned by a plain cornice and parapet; there are no breaks and no quoins to enliven the facades. On the west (entrance) side there is a doorcase with a segmental pediment and windows with triangular pediments on the ground floor; above a double plat band the first floor windows have plain architraves and the top floor windows are square. This is a Palladian vocabulary used in an un-Palladian way.
|Garden front of Tunstall Hall in 1989. © Nicholas Kingsley.|
Licensed under a Creative Commons licence
Information on the 17th century generations of this family is sadly incomplete; if anyone can help fill in the details I will be particularly pleased to hear from them.
Adderley, Ralph (d. 1598) of Coton-under-Needwood. Third son of Thomas Adderley (d. 1538) of Blackhall and his wife Joan, daughter of John Thirkill of Smallwood (Cheshire), born about 1510. An eminent lawyer; High Sheriff of Staffordshire, 1574-75; Custos Rotulorum for Staffordshire. He married first, 10 April 1554, Margaret, daughter of Thomas Bagot of Blithfield and second, Felicia alias Phelice (d. 1607), daughter of Henry Milward of Doveridge (Derbys), and had issue:
(1.1) Richard Adderley of Coton (c.1557-1641) (q.v.);
(2.1) William Adderley (c.1560-1615) of London, merchant, m. 10 September 1599 Mary, daughter of Thomas Henshaw of London;
(2.2) Thomas Adderley of Ireland, m. Mary, daughter of Sir John Dalzell of Dromertie;
(2.3) Ralph Adderley (d. 1613) of Alrewas, m. 3 August 1609, Elizabeth, daughter of John Noel of Welsborough (Leics) and had issue; ancestor of the Adderleys of Hams Hall (see post 41).
(2.4) John Adderley (d. 1651/2) of London and South Mimms (Middx), m. Winifred, daughter of Thomas Oxborough of Kings Lynn; died without surviving male issue;
(2.5) Walter Adderley (fl. 1583)
(2.6) George Adderley (d. 1599) of London; died without issue;
(2.7) Ellen Adderley, m. Philip Hollins;
(2.8) Dorothy Adderley (d. 1602/3), m. Thomas Baskerville of Old Withington, Prestbury (Cheshire);
(2.9) Grace Adderley, m. Edward Richardson;
(2.10) Mary Adderley.
He purchased the Coton Hall estate from Lord Mountjoy in 1558.
He died 20 April 1598, and was buried at Hanbury (Staffs), where he and his wives are commemorated by an alabaster monument of a form prescribed in his will, which was proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury, 28 October 1598. [His date of death is often given incorrectly as 1595, but his will was made in 1597].
Adderley, Richard (c.1557-1641) of Coton Hall. Only son of Ralph Adderley (d. 1595) and his first wife, Margaret, daughter of Thomas Bagot of Blithfield; born c.1557 (aged 26 in 1583). He married Ellen, daughter of James Abney of Willesley (Derbys) and had issue:
(1) Ralph Adderley (c.1593-1687) of Coton (q.v.);
(2) Sarah Adderley (b. 1600), m. Rev. Joseph Leigh, vicar of Hanbury (Staffs);
(3) Walter Adderley, died unmarried;
(4) Thomas Adderley;
(5) Susan Adderley;
(6) Mary Adderley; married 1st, John Agard (c.1583-c.1657) of Foston Hall and married 2nd, 1659, Thomas Povey (1613/4-c.1705) but died without issue;
(7) Margaret Adderley;
(8) Anne Adderley;
(9) Ellen Adderley;
(10) Rebecca Adderley;
(11) Elizabeth Adderley.
He inherited the Coton Hall estate from his father in 1598.
He died in 1641.
Adderley, Ralph (c.1593-1687) of Coton Hall. Eldest son of Richard Adderley (d. 1641) and his wife Ellen, daughter of James Abney of Willesley (Derbys), born c.1593. He married Mary, daughter and heir of Tristram Cottrell (d. 1613) and had issue:
(1) Richard Adderley of Coton (b. 1634) (q.v.);
(2) John Adderley;
(3) Mary Adderley;
(4) Caroline Adderley.
He inherited the Coton Hall estate from his father in 1641. At his death it passed to his grandson, Ralph Adderley (c.1680-1751).
He died in 1687, aged about 94.
Adderley, Richard (c.1634-c.1685) of Coton Hall. Son of Ralph Adderley (c.1593-1687) and his wife Mary, daughter and heir of Tristram Cottrell (d. 1613); born about 1634. Educated at Repton School, St. John's College, Cambridge (admitted 1651) and Grays Inn (admitted 1651). JP for Staffordshire. He married 26 August 1666 at Bramshall (Staffs), Jane Lathropp and had issue including:
(1) Ralph Adderley (c.1680-1751) (q.v.).
He died in the lifetime of his father, c.1685.
Adderley, Ralph (c.1680-1751) of Coton Hall. Elder son of Richard Adderley (b. c.1634). He married c.1717 Lettice (c.1680-1766), daughter of Thomas Kynnersley (d. 1662!) of Loxley Park (Warks) and had issue:
(1) Lettice Adderley (d. 1784) (q.v.);
(2) Jane Adderley (c.1720-79), m. July 1751, Rev. Henry Offley Wright (1719-99) of Mobberley (Cheshire), vicar of Derby 1749-72, and had issue five sons and two daughters; died 1779, aged 59.
He inherited the Coton Hall estate from his grandfather in 1687. At his death it passed to his elder daughter and her husband.
He died 3 November 1751 and was buried in the chancel of Hanbury (Staffs) church.
Adderley, Lettice (d. 1784) of Coton Hall. Elder daughter and co-heiress of Ralph Adderley (d. 1751) of Coton Hall and his wife Lettice, daughter of Thomas Kynnersley of Loxley Hall (Warks). She married 14 July 1741 (as his second wife) her distant cousin, Bowyer Adderley (1705-47) of Hams Hall (Warks) and had issue:
(1) Charles Bowyer Adderley (1743-1826) of Hams Hall (see post 41);
(2) Ralph Adderley (1744-1819) (q.v.);
(3) Arden Adderley (1747-67); born 23 April 1747; died 24 June 1767.
She inherited the Coton Hall estate from her father in 1751, and also had an interest in his Hams Hall estate. Hams Hall passed to their elder son, and Coton Hall to their younger surviving son. In later years she lived in Chelsea (Middx).
She died 18 July 1784; buried at Lea Marston (Warks) where she is commemorated by a Coade stone monument.
Adderley, Ralph (1744-1819) of Coton Hall. Second son of Bowyer Adderley (1705-47) and his second wife Lettice, daughter of Ralph Adderley of Coton Hall (Staffs), born 12 June 1744. He married, 4 August 1778, Dorothy (d. 1797), daughter and heir of Thomas Kynnersley of Loxley Park (Warks) and widow of Thomas Birch Savage of Elmley Castle (Worcs), and had issue:
(2) Mary Elizabeth Adderley (1818?-1903?); died unmarried;
(3) Ralph Thomas Adderley (1826-68) (q.v.);
(4) Anne Selina Adderley (1829-1911) (q.v.);
(2) Rosamond Broughton (1861-85), born 3 December 1861; m. 1881 Sir Delves Louis Broughton, 10th bt. (d. 1914) and had issue; died 11 October 1885;
Her husband inherited Tunstall Hall from his elder brother in 1881.
He was bequeathed Coton Hall and Barlaston Hall by his uncle, Ralph Thomas Adderley (1826-68) in 1868, but died before coming into his inheritance. At his death they passed to his elder brother.
He died at Simla (India), unmarried, 17 July 1885, aged 22.
Broughton-Adderley (né Broughton), Hubert John (1860-1931), of Tunstall Hall, Barlaston Hall and Coton Hall. Elder son of John Lambert Broughton (1831-1914) and his wife Anne Selina, daughter of Ralph Adderley of Coton Hall and Barlaston Hall, born 16 August 1860. Lieutenant, 4th North Staffordshire Regiment. He assumed the additional surname of Adderley by royal licence, 22 September 1886. He married, 14 January 1886, the Hon. Florence (d. 1934), daughter of Richard Handcock, 4th Baron Castlemaine, and had issue:
(1) Edith Rosamond Broughton-Adderley (1887-1949), m. 1911, Lt-Col. Frederick Guy Knight MC (d. 1953) of The Oaks, Queniborough (Leics), son of Joseph Guy Knight of Aston Hall, Stone (Staffs); died 21 November 1949;
(2) Peter Handcock Broughton-Adderley MC (1891-1918), educated at Eton and Exeter College, Oxford; served in Staffordshire Yeomanry and Royal NW Mounted Police (Canada); served in WW1 as a Captain in Scots Guards and died unmarried of wounds received in action, 16 October 1918;
(3) Arthur Ralph Handcock Broughton-Adderley (1894-1962) (q.v.);
(4) Edward Randolph Broughton-Adderley (1899-1982), educated at Eton; served in WW1 with Canadian Expeditionary Force; m.1, 6 December 1920 (div. 1926) Dorothy, daughter of T.R.F. Norris of Cheltenham and had issue 1 daughter; m.2, 1 June 1942 Audrey Evelyn, daughter of Ashurst Everard Menzies of London SW16 and had issue one son and one daughter; died 30 September 1982.
He inherited the Barlaston Hall and Coton Hall estates from his younger brother in 1885 and the Tunstall Hall estate from his father in 1914. He sold the Coton Hall estate (but not the house) in 1920.
He died at Brighton, 9 April 1931. Will proved 29 July and 17 September 1931 and 22 March 1933 (estate approx £30,000)
Broughton-Adderley, Arthur Ralph Handcock (1894-1962) of Tunstall Hall. Eldest surviving son of Hubert John Broughton-Adderley (1860-1931) and his wife, the Hon. Florence, daughter of Richard Handcock, 4th Baron Castlemaine; born 21 July 1894. Educated at Eton; served in Staffordshire Yeomanry and Royal NW Mounted Police (Canada); served WW1 and WW2 as Lieutenant, Scots Guards. He married, 9 July 1919, Chloe (c.1889-1969), second daughter of Walter Philip of Portman Square, London W1, and had issue:
(1) Edome Broughton-Adderley (1920-2011), m.1 30 August 1941 (div. 1965) John Raymond Sharpe, son of Rev. Ernest Bell Sharpe of Perulia, Behar (India) and had issue one son and one daughter; m.2, 1980, George C. Lloyd-Roberts (1918-86); assumed her maiden surname by royal licence, 1963;
(2) Ann Selina Broughton-Adderley (1921-90), m. 1951 John A. (Jack) Berwick of Angmering-on-Sea (Sussex) and had issue two sons.
He inherited the Tunstall Hall and Barlaston Hall estates and Coton Hall from his father in 1931, but sold Barlaston to Wedgwood & Co. the same year, Coton Hall in 1945, and Tunstall Hall some time before his death.
He died 16 March 1962. Administration of goods granted 14 October 1962 (estate £40,568).
This account was last updated, 20 June 2014.