Thursday, 2 May 2013

(33) Adams family of Holyland and formerly of Paterchurch

In 1423 John Adams, lieutenant to Henry Wogan, steward of the earldom of Pembroke, married Ellen, daughter and heiress of David Paterchurch and settled at her home on the western edge of Pembroke.  In the mid 17th century Nicholas Adams married twice; Paterchurch passed to his son by his first marriage, Rhys Adams (d. 1698).  At his death the family fortunes were at a low ebb, and his son Rhys sold Paterchurch to Richard Gwynne (d. 1702).  Nicholas Adams’ second marriage was to a daughter of Sir Roger Lort of Stackpoole Court, and their grandson, William Adams (1695-1745) established a new family seat at Holyland in the 1730s.  The house there was largely rebuilt before 1814, either for John Phillipps Adams (c.1741-1833) or for George Alexander Adams, whose initials are on the stables of 1824.  George's relationship to the family has not been established.  John Adams (1796-1873) acquired land at Lydstep, Manorbier (Pembs) and built a small new house there with a spectacular view over the sea to Caldey Island, but Lydstep House was sold to Lord St. Davids after his death.  Plans by James Wilson of Bath in 1844 for a Tudor remodelling of Holyland were not executed.  Holyland descended in the male line until the death of Major John Loftus Adams (1870-1943), whose only son, John Stephen Adams (1911-42) had been killed in action the previous year.  It was sold shortly after the end of the war. 

Paterchurch Tower, Pembroke, Pembrokeshire
Paterchurch Tower, 2010
A ruined three-storey 14th century tower containing three vaulted rooms, one above the other, is probably all that survives of the medieval house of the Adams family, although maps show the ruins of the house well to the SW of the tower, so its function is unclear; it cannot have been the gate tower as is sometimes claimed.  The Adams family sold Paterchurch at the end of the 17th century and the house was in ruins by 1802, when the Hon. Charles Fulke-Greville considered purchasing and restoring it  On 1 September 1802 he wrote to Lady Cawdor that he was "surprised at the dilapidation, the house has neither roof, doors or windows; the wind and thieves have been so diligent since my last visit that I do not know how my villa will become elegant", and the idea of purchase was abandoned.  In 1854 the crumbling walls of the old ruined mansion were pulled down, except for the surviving tower.  A History of Pembroke Dock published in 1905 says the building had been used latterly as a store and modeller's shop. The site now lies in the middle of Pembroke Dockyard, which has obliterated all trace of the rest of the house and the gardens.

Descent: John Adams (fl. 1423-48); to son, William Adams (b. c.1440); to son, William Adams (b. c.1480); to son, John Adams MP (c.1511-c.1571); to son Henry Adams MP (c.1532-1611); to son, Nicholas Adams (c.1565-1628); to son, William Adams (b. c.1607); to son, Nicholas Adams (b. c.1630); to son, Rhys Adams (d. 1698); to son Rhys Adams, who sold c.1700 to Richard Gwynne (d. 1702).  


Holyland House, Pembrokeshire
Holyland House
Holyland is said to have been established as the seat of the Adams family in the 1730s, but a small barrel-vaulted chamber at the rear shows there was already a house here before that.  The house is now a stuccoed and hipped-roofed two storey building, largely of c.1800, with a broad bow to the left end of the garden front, oddly asymmetrically placed.  References in 1829 to a new drawing room, dining room and library seem to refer to refurbishment, as a map of 1814 shows the present footprint of the house.  Inside there is a plain staircase and on the first floor a heavy chimneypiece, carved c.1910 by a family member, Hermione Barclay, which depicts a hunting scene.  James Wilson of Bath made plans in 1844 for a Tudor remodelling, skilfully making sense of the ungainly shape of the house, but nothing was carried out.  The seven bay pedimented stable block to the north of the house is dated 1824 and has the initials of George Alexander Adams.  The house was requisitioned for military use during the Second World War, and when it was returned to the family it was sold.  It was later used as an hotel, but appears now to be in private ownership once more.

Descent: William Adams (1695-1745); to son, William Adams (1717-70); to son, John Phillipps Adams (c.1741-1833); to grandson, John Adams (1796-1873); to son, Capt. John Alexander Philipps Adams (1831-1901); to son, Major John Loftus Adams (1870-1943), after whose death it was sold. 


Lydstep House, Penally, Pembrokeshire (also known as Lydstep Haven)
Lystep House c.1910

The small plain house built in the early 19th century by John Adams of Holyland was extended and remodelled in 1894 for Lord St. Davids with large cross-wings that have wide bay windows.  Inside, the robustly eclectic Arts and Crafts details, reputedly designed by Lady St. Davids, suggest Baillie Scott & Beresford were involved.  The staircase rises around a generous panelled well, with slat balusters and cut-out hearts.  At the top, tall cupboards with painted panels depicting figures and landscapes.  Heavily carved timber chimneypieces, one with a large hood incorporating a cupboard with coloured glass panes and beaten copper hinges.  The house has breathtaking views across to Caldey Island, but is now a clubhouse for a large caravan park. 

Descent: John Adams (1796-1873); to son, Capt. John Alexander Philipps Adams (1831-1901), who sold c.1890 to John Wynford Philipps, Viscount St. Davids (1860-1938); sold 1926 to Algernon George de Vere Capell, 8th Earl of Essex (1884-1966); sold to Colonel John Edward Grimble Groves; sold c.1945 to Harry Victor Thomas, who opened it as a guest house and caravan park

The Adams family of Holyland and formerly of Paterchurch

Adams, John (fl. 1423-48), of Paterchurch.  Son of Nicholas Adams of Buckspool (fl. c.1370); born c.1400.  Lieutenant to the Steward of the Earls of Pembroke.  He married Ellen, daughter and co-heir of David de Paterchurch, and had issue including:
(1) William Adams of Paterchurch (b. c.1430) (q.v.).
He inherited the Paterchurch estate in right of his wife.
He died in the mid 15th century.

Adams, William (b. c.1440), of Paterchurch.  Son of John Adams (fl. 1423-48) and his wife Ellen, daughter of David de Paterchurch; born c.1440.  He married Alice, daughter of Sir William Herbert of Troy (Monmouths), steward of Pembroke, and had issue:
(1) William Adams of Paterchurch (b. c.1480)
(2) Catherine Adams, m. David Barrett of Gelliswick and had issue one son.
He inherited the Paterchurch estate from his father in the mid 15th century.
His date of death is unknown.

Adams, William (b. c.1480), of Paterchurch.  Son of William Adams (b. c.1440) and his wife Alice, daughter of Sir William Herbert, Steward of Pembroke; born c.1480.  He married Maude, daughter of Sir William Perrott, kt. and had issue:
(1) John Adams of Paterchurch (c.1511-c.1571) (q.v.);
(2) Thomas Adams of Loveston.
He inherited the Paterchurch estate from his father in the late 15th century. 
His date of death is unknown.

Adams, John (c.1511-c.1571), of Paterchurch.  Son of William Adams (b. c.1460) and his wife Maude, daughter of Sir William Perrott, kt; born c.1490.  Receiver and bailiff for the lordships of Cilsain (Carmarthenshire), Angle, Burton, Carew and Upton (Pembrokeshire) by 1541-Feb. 1543; commissioner for the subsidy in Pembroke 1543, 1546; escheator for Pembokeshire, 1546-7, 1554-5, 1559, 1560-1; alderman of Pembroke by 1547; JP for Pembrokeshire by 1558/59-62; first MP for Pembroke Boroughs, 1542.  He married Catherine, daughter of Thomas ap Dafydd Goch ap Meredyth ap Madoc, lord of Stapylton, and had issue:
(1) Henry Adams of Paterchurch (c.1532-1611) (q.v.).
He inherited the Paterchurch estate from his father in the early-mid 16th century.
He died about 1571 and certainly before 1575.

Adams, Henry (c.1532-1611), of Paterchurch.  Son of William Adams (fl. c.1490-1542) and his wife Catherine, daughter of Thomas ap Dafydd Goch ap Meredyth ap Madoc; born c.1520.  JP for Pembrokeshire, 1572, 1575-1611; High Sheriff of Pembrokeshire 1587-88; MP for Pembroke Boroughs, 1553.  He married Anne, daughter of Richard Wogan esq. of Boulston and had issue:
(1) A son;
(2) Nicholas Adams (c.1565-1628) (q.v.).
(3) A daughter;
(4) A daughter.
He inherited the Paterchurch estate from his father in c.1571.
He died 10 November 1611.

Adams, Nicholas (c.1565-1628), of Paterchurch.  Second son of Henry Adams (fl. c.1520-53) and his wife Anne, daughter of Richard Wogan esq. of Boulston; born c.1565.  Educated at Jesus College, Oxford (matriculated 1585), Cliffords Inn and the Middle Temple (admitted 1587; called to the bar, 1594); barrister at law; MP for Pembroke Boroughs, 1589, while still a student at the Middle Temple, perhaps due to his father's influence as High Sheriff; JP for Pembrokeshire 1602; Mayor of Pembroke, 1603, 1608, 1614, 1618, 1627.  He married Elizabeth, daughter of Morgan Powell esq. of Pembroke and had issue ten children (probably six sons and four daughters), including:
(1) William Adams of Paterchurch (b. c.1607) (q.v.).
He inherited the Paterchurch estate from his father in 1611.  In 1597 he acquired a 21-year lease of the forfeited estates of Sir John Perrott at Haroldston and Robeston (Pembrokeshire).
He died 22 October 1628.

Adams, William (b. c.1607), of Paterchurch.  Son of Nicholas Adams (c.1565-1628) amd his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Morgan Powell, born c.1607.  Educated at Jesus College, Oxford (matriculated 1623, aged 15).  He married Frances Marsh, of the Isle of Wight, and had issue including:
(1) Nicholas Adams of Paterchurch (b. c.1630) (q.v.).
He inherited the Paterchurch estate from his father in 1628.
His date of death is unknown.

Adams, Nicholas (b. c.1630), of Paterchurch.  Son of William Adams (b. c.1607) and his wife Frances Marsh; born c.1630.  He married 1st, Frances, daughter of Rhys Bowen of Upton Castle (Pembs.) and 2nd, Hester, daughter of Sir Roger Lort of Stackpoole Court (Pembs.), and had issue:
(1.1) Rhys Adams (d. 1698) (q.v.);
(2.1) Roger Adams (q.v.).
He inherited the Paterchurch estate from his father in the mid 17th century.
His date of death is unknown.

Adams, Rhys (d. 1698), of Paterchurch.  Son of Nicholas Adams (b. c.1630) and his first wife Frances, daughter of Rhys Bowen of Upton Castle (Pembs.); born c.1655.  He married and had issue:
(1) Rhys Adams (fl. 1700)
He inherited the Paterchurch estate from his father in the late 17th century.  After his death it was sold by his son to Richard Gwynne (d. 1702).
He died in 1698.

Adams, Roger (b. c.1665).  Son of Nicholas Adams (b. c.1630) and his second wife, Hester, daughter of Sir Roger Lort of Stackpoole Court (Pembs.); born c.1665.  He married Jane Skyrme of Lawhidden and had issue including:
(1) William Adams (1695-1745) (q.v.).
His date of death is unknown.

Adams, William (1695-1745), of Holyland.  Son of Roger Adams (b. c.1665) and his wife Jane Skyrme of Lawhidden; born 1695.  He married twice, and his second wife was Philippa, daughter of Charles Phillipps esq. of Haythog, by whom he had issue:
(1) William Adams (1717-70) (q.v.);
(2) Major John Phillipps Adams;
(3) John Adams;
(4) Roger Adams;
(5) Philippa Adams, m. Bulkeley Phillipps esq. of Abercover (Carmarthenshire);
(6) Six further daughters.
He acquired the Holyland estate and built a new house there in the 1730s.
He died in 1745.

Adams, William (1717-70), of Holyland.  Eldest son of William Adams (1695-1745) and his second wife, Philippa, daughter of Charles Philipps of Haythog; born 1717.  He married Anne, daughter of Joseph Rixon of Pembroke and had issue:
(1) John Phillipps Adams (c.1741-1833) (q.v.);
(2) Maj. Joseph Adams (d. 1828), m. Elizabeth, daughter of John Campbell and had issue (including Lt-Gen. Alexander Adams);
(3) Roger Adams;
(4) Anne Adams, m.1, Rev. William Thomas; m.2 Matthew, son of J.A. Campbell of Bangeston, Lord Lyon King of Arms.
He inherited the Holyland estate from his father in 1745.
He died in 1770.

Adams, John Phillipps (c.1741-1833), of Holyland.  Eldest son of William Adams (1717-70) and his wife Anne, daughter of Joseph Rixon of Pembroke; born c.1741.  JP and DL for Pembrokeshire.  He married Charlotte, daughter of William Corbett of Darnhall (Cheshire) and had issue:
(1) John Adams (1769-98) (q.v.);
(2) William Adams.
He inherited the Holyland estate from his father in 1770, and remodelled the house there c.1800.
He died about 1833, at an advanced age.

Adams, John (1769-98).  Elder son of John Phillipps Adams (c.1741-1833) of Holyland and his wife Charlotte, daughter of William Corbett of Darnhall (Cheshire); baptised at Pembroke, 11 October 1769. Educated at Christ's College, Cambridge (admitted Pensioner 1787; BA 1791). Fellow of the Linnean Society, for whom he wrote four papers on microscopic shells found chiefly in Pembrokeshire. He married, 1795, Sophia, daughter of Ven. George Holcombe (1738-89), Archdeacon of Carmarthen, and had issue:
(1) John Adams (1796-1873)
(2) Augusta Adams (d. 1828), married Lt. Vaughan Lloyd RN.
He drowned in the lifetime of his father (reputedly while collecting shells), and was buried in the churchyard at Pembroke, 24 February 1798.

Adams, John (1796-1873), of Lydstep House and Holyland.  Only son of John Adams (1769-98) and his wife Sophia, daughter of Ven. George Holcombe, Archdeacon of Carmarthen; born May 1796.  Educated at Brasenose College, Oxford (matriculated 1814).  JP for Pembrokeshire; High Sheriff of Pembrokeshire, 1837.  He married 25 July 1828 Anne, elder daughter of Henry Gibbons of Oswestry, and had issue:
(1) Capt. John Alexander Philipps Adams (1831-1901) (q.v.);
(2) Henry Joseph Adams (b. 1835), solicitor; m. Alice, daughter of R.W. Moore;
(3) Augusta Mary Adams, m. 1858 William Venables;
(4) Frances Louisa Adams, m. 1865 Adm. Sir William Loring KCB (d. 1895) and had issue;
(5) Agnes Anne Adams, m. Sholto Vere Hare of Clifton, Bristol;
(6) Mary Charlotte Adams (d. 1847), died young.
He acquired land at Lydstep in the early 19th century and built a new house there; it was sold after his death.  In about 1833 he inherited the Holyland estate from his grandfather.  He considered a major remodelling of Holyland in 1844 but little or nothing was done at that time.
He died 22 March 1873.  Will proved in Principal Probate Registry, 8 September 1873 (effects under £2,000).

Adams, Capt. John Alexander Philipps (1831-1901), of Holyland.  Elder son of John Adams (1796-1873) and his wife Anne, daughter of Henry Gibbons of Oswestry; born 1831.  Captain in the Royal Artillery.  JP for Pembrokeshire.  He married 1869 Lucy Ellen (c.1837-82), daughter of Edward Loftus Neynoe of Castle Neynoe (Sligo) and had issue:
(1) Maj. John Loftus Adams (1870-1943) (q.v.);
(2) Bertram Edward Adams (b. 1872) of 15th North Auckland Regt., New Zealand, m. 1905 Amy Beale of Wellington, New Zealand and had issue.
He inherited the Holyland estate from his father in 1873.
He died in 1901.

Adams, Major John Loftus (1870-1943) of Holyland.  Elder son of Capt. John Alexander Philipps (1831-1901) and his wife Lucy Ellen, daughter of Edward Loftus Neynoe of Castle Neynoe (Sligo), born 10 July 1870.  He served in the 4th Battalion, Welsh Regiment (TD).  He married 14 June 1910 Hermione Agnes Caroline (d. 1966), only daughter of Capt. Henry Fergusson Day Barclay of Manor Mead, Weston-super-Mare (Somerset) and had issue:
(1) John Stephen Adams (1911-42); born 26 December 1911; served in Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve and was killed in action, 18 March 1942;
(2) Barbara Hermione Adams (1913-94); born 17 October 1913; m.1 John Eastham of Knuck Knols (Lancs) and m.2 Col. William Gordon; died October 1994
(3) Sylvia Alston Adams (1920-99), m. Lt. Cdr. R.D.M.W. Thomas-Ferrand RN; died March 1999.
He inherited the Holyland estate from his father in 1901, but it was sold after his death, c.1948.
He died 10 January 1943 and was buried at Manorbier (Pembs).  Will proved at Bristol, 11 August 1943 (estate except settled land £1,874).  His widow died 5 May 1966; her will was proved at Carmarthen, 16 August 1966 (estate £29,824).

Sources
Burke's Landed Gentry, 1850, p.6, Burke's Peerage & Baronetage, 1924, pp. 1966-68; Burke's Landed Gentry, 1925, p. 3-4; E. Stuart Peters, History of Pembroke Dock, 1905, pp. 1-4, 12; RCAHMW, Pembrokeshire, 1925; F. Jones, Historic Pembrokeshire homes and their families, 2001, pp. 115, 194; Lloyd, Orbach & Scourfield, The buildings of Wales: Pembrokeshire, 2004, pp. 270, 340, 348-49  

Where are their papers?
Adams family of Holyland: deeds, estate and family papers, 1693-1962 (Pembrokeshire Record Office, D/ADAMS, D/LLH); deeds, 1856-1946 [National Library of Wales, Lowless Collection]

Revision
This post was first published 2 May 2013 and was revised 8 January 2014 and 4 February 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment if you have any additional information or corrections to offer, or if you are able to help with additional images of the people or buildings in this post.